Speaker 1: All right, let's get this hump day started. Shall we welcome in? It is Kentucky and it's morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. I'm present. Let's get a roll called Scott Fitzgerald. He's here. I can prove that he's here. His microphone is now on and he's here. He's in front of me. Also John Alden with me, but just through a computer screen. He's just down the hall. And John Shannon's here as well. So we've got the full crew and a lot to get into today. Obviously, the jury did not take long. In fact, what was it ten minutes for them to determine what they think the sentencing should be for Brooks Houck and Joseph Lawson and the Crystal Rogers case. But really just four hours essentially for them to deliberate, and not as surprise in the grand scheme of things. But I did worry a little bit as we saw this trial play out that they didn't have a whole lot of physical In fact, they had no physical proof. But certainly I know I'm not alone in you know, the court of public opinion thinking that these two were held responsible for what in fact they did, so certainly a lot to get into when it comes to that today, and also I don't want to. I feel like it'll be an endless conversation if we get into the whole Epstein thing, because it's certainly news, but I feel like trying to talk through it and figure out, like what's really going on that's not I don't think that's possible. I mean, we'll probably never really know the truth, but it is big news. And now we have President Trump defending the controversial decision to just say, yeah, nothing to see here, nothing actually happened, despite people in federal prison. One person was in federal prison killed themselves allegedly because of a sex trafficking ring that included thousands of victims and maybe thousands of people that were in on it, meaning take advantage of those victims. But now it's just nothing, which is wild. But anyways, a loaded show today. But yesterday we started the show mentioning me coming off of my thirty seventh birthday and thirty seven. So far it feels just like thirty six, which is a good things. I'm not aging. I haven't hit a wall at thirty seven. But I went back and looked and this is the power of chat GPT fellows. I went back and looked at some things on the day we were all born, and I had no clue of any notable things about my birthday as far as just you know, not only what happened I mean in previous years on that date, but just that date specifically. And there's really not a whole lot going on there. But I've got some information about yours' birthday. All right, I'm gonna start with you, Scotty. Your birthday, correct me if I'm wrong, it is. It's July thirtieth, right, that's right, all right, So July thirtieth, nineteen sixty nine. What if I told you that at that time on that exact date, Well, actually, no, this is a different year. But did you know that recently after you were born, I'm sure recently, right before you were born, we landed on the Moon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did. Yeah, it was always a topic of conversation.
Speaker 1: You remember being a big deal as an infant, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I remember all I remember clearly, which is weird, because I mean I developed a keen.
Speaker 2: Fascination with the space programs that grew up. It was a big part of my childhood.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was a big deal right when you were forming memories right in a white age, I.
Speaker 2: Wanted to be an astronaut, astronaut or a spy.
Speaker 1: Do you know a celebrity that you share the exact same birthday with?
Speaker 2: I want to see. I think it's Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Speaker 1: He's not listed here, but that doesn't mean it's not legit. Vivica A Fox, the actress. Oh okay, you if you don't know who it is off the top of your head, if you saw a picture, you would recognize there. She's been been in a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Take a look at her.
Speaker 1: So again, this is one of those random things that chet GBT can just help you out with. What John, So, your birthday July thirtieth? Do you know the number one song in America when you were born? This gonna make people feel old. If it made me feel old, it's gonna make you all feel old.
Speaker 2: Mean Scott, right, you said my name?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, John?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: John?
Speaker 5: Okay, you said July thirty.
Speaker 1: Yes, Saugust twenty four, Okay, we're all summer birthdays.
Speaker 5: I think the number one song it was by Notorious Big was a non.
Speaker 1: You're in the You're actually it was a tribute, so yes, you're kind of right. It was actually by puff Daddy That's what he went by at the time in Faith Evans, and it was I'll be missing you. Okay, so you were Yeah, it was the number one song on Time Work. Yeah, exactly. Yeah. The way in which we talk about Puff Daddy slash Ditty now much different currently than it was than it was back then. Also, when you were born, a big tech story. DBD players were just entering the US market, meeting rip to the VHS. That's when the VHS started dying off. And then also Microsoft was pushing Windows ninety eight, which was the successor to Windows ninety five. And a famous birthday John for you that you share that is not the same exact day. This guy's older than you, but Dave Chappelle.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll take that.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm also the exact same age and have the same birthday as the current White House Press Secretary.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: That is random.
Speaker 2: But what about you knew what happened on your birth.
Speaker 1: So on my birthday that there was I mean, I'm let's see, these are things obviously that I don't remember. By the way, the number one song was the Flame by Cheap Trick. Do you know that one? Scott That's more your wheelhouse?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then also the biggest movie in the box office. It was dominating the box office. It says, here coming to America, no kidding. Yeah, I remember that movie as a young kid, one of the first movies that I remember watching. And of course this was when it was out in VHS. You could rent it. It wasn't like it was brand new, but I remember that having a lot of buzz when I was a kid, and of course it's it's a classic. And also on my birthday, the day I was born. There was drama at the Democratic convention in nineteen eighty eight. Says nineteen eighty presidential election approach to Tension was heating up around Michael Dukakis, the Democratic nominee who would go on to lose to George H. W. Bush in November. I don't know what the drama was, but it says there was drama.
Speaker 3: Well, go back, you know what you ought to do at one time. These are really cool to do, and I'm glad you did that. Go back and look too and see what the cost of living was on certain things.
Speaker 1: Oh man, let's make that a theme today, right, going back in time?
Speaker 2: Hey, dam on not going Yeah, it's nostalgia back time. It's actually.
Speaker 1: Certain things we didn't experience because we were alive. But you know, we were babies.
Speaker 2: I told you.
Speaker 3: When the day goes a little strong and I want to take a break, I'll get on YouTube and look up some old believe it or not TV commercials.
Speaker 1: Just go back in time, right.
Speaker 2: I spent all my life flipping through them. Now I go back and watch.
Speaker 1: Nostalgia is a powerful drug, good stuff, fellas. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. We'll hear from Matt Melosovich and see what the forecast is today, and also we'll get an update on traffic. Right here, it's the news radio forty whas it is five seventeen here at Kentuckyana's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty w h as mister John all on alongside today this morning, I should say, because it's early, it's five seventeen, I am I'm now fully used to being up and Adam and I'm I was worried. There were moments in the last month John where I thought, Okay, I don't know, am I am I ever gonna get used to this? And it Today was one of those days where I didn't enjoy seeing the alarm clock going off in a being three am. But you know, when you do it's something you do anything a certain amount of times, and there's that repetition. It's hard not to get used to it.
Speaker 2: And that's good though.
Speaker 5: You get to the middle of the week, most people are usually feeling that middle of the week fatigue. And if you're feeling good on a Wednesday, obviously that's a pretty good sign.
Speaker 1: It's a good sign for finishing the week strong, which I hope to hope to do. All right, So yesterday we found out the jury in the Crystal Rogers case did not need a long time to figure out what they thought meaning the verdict. They found both Brooks Hawk and Joseph lost and guilty of what they were charged with, and it didn't take them very long to determine what sentence they believe was justified for this. And you've got life, which is the expectation for Brooks Howck, as far as the recommendation from the jury, and then also Joseph Lawson. I believe it's twenty five years. So there's a lot to unpack here, and we'll do it throughout the morning. But when it comes to the reaction from the City of Barchetown yesterday, it was it was pretty powerful, and I guess I hadn't really throughout the the you know, the last ten years. I mean, there have been moments where I sit and think, Okay, wow, this is a national story that's getting a lot of attention, and it's just I mean, I'm from Bullet County, so Barchtown it's not that far from where I grew up. In fact, I used to drive through Barchtown whenever I would go to Saint Catherine College many many years ago. And I mean, I'm Barchtown is a big community, a big I don't know what it is as far as population, but I mean as far as just areas right outside of Louisville that that are that are known and pretty popular, Barchtown's always been one of them. And I'd never really thought about what it would like to be a Barchtown resident, not just somebody that is in some way related or close to Crystal Rogers and her family, but to live ten years knowing that you know, there's a there's a murderer walking free. And even if you didn't necessarily believe, because maybe throughout this entire decade ordeal, there wasn't the I mean, I think from the from the from the earliest I can remember brooks House and those around him looked clearly guilty of being involved in some former fashion. But even if you didn't think that, still, I mean, you had some real awful I mean Bargetown in twenty twelve, I don't know if people know this or not, it was named the most beautiful small town in America by USA today. And I don't need to sell up Bargetown as far as what makes it awesome is they've got a very historic, charming, if you will, downtown area certainly very very vibrant in the Bourbon culture. And you know, you got my old Kentucky home. It's believed to be the Bourbon capital of the world. Actually, so again, if you live there, you know that. And I'm sure a lot of people still think of the really great qualities of Barchtown. And in no way am I saying that what went on here, and of course the other murders that are still unsolved. Chrystal Rogers's father, Officer Jason Ellis, those don't represent the residents of the community, So that's not at all where I'm going. But you also, if you are prideful about where you come from, and I'm sure people of Barchtown are a lot of people. When they think of your town, they think of these things, and even though that doesn't reflect and represent again the residents that live there in that community, you don't want that to be what people think of. And yesterday I think was a step in the process of I guess one day that won't be the first thing that comes to mind for some people. But this ain't over tough to know exactly what we can expect when it comes to charges and more trials to follow, But we'll let you hear coming up a little bit later on from one of the detectives. In fact, it's John Snow who was one of the detectives during this entire situation of the last decade, and he was happy to see justice yesterday, but also made it pretty clear this sitting over all. Right, We've got a sports update coming your way, but first let's get a check on traffic from Bobby Ellis and we'll get the latest on the forecast with Matt Melosovi. It's right here on news radio eight forty w hullo wajas. Thank you very much, mister Shannon. It is Kentucky and it's morning news here on news radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you as we get the hump day started. I don't know if you are somebody who is if your daily commute involves being on Seventh Street, but man, the humongous hole in the ground. It was one of those pictures John that when I saw it, if you told me it was not real and created by AI, I think I would have believed you.
Speaker 5: I saw a video of it yesterday and the damage that it looked like it was causing looked ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean there was already a street that was flooded, so clearly even if and I'm not sure what the latest is as far as just the the water levels in that area, but the ground itself, like that's not only something that's going to make that. I mean, if you we're if you are somebody that is every day on that road, Seventh Street road, that is where there's now just a humongous hole. It'll it'll clearly impact your your your travel because that's not something you just go, you go fix, and you go repair. So uh, stay stay aware. And I would imagine that there are I don't you know. This is one of those things where when I saw this picture yesterday and was reading about it, I thought to myself, surely the people that are in that area, they're keeping up with the new I mean imagine not hearing about it, not knowing anything, and then just going outside your home in one seeing this massive hole in the ground. Now, if it was yesterday, you would have you would have seen a lot of the presence from first responders and whatnot. But you know, we didn't get any early rain yesterday. But you just walk outside and you see, you know, the street that you live on is flooded. So I don't know, I just I try to a time has put myself in the shoes of those being surprised by something like that, And I mean I would be thinking, what the hell's hell's going on? What happened? So I don't know what led to that, but I'm sure it'll be an inconvenience for a lot of folks, all right, So They're one of the stories that got us started this week, which of course another awful one where there was a murder that took place, in fact, a double shooting in Shavely that has left two women dead. From early on in this the those I think it was the Shavely Police department. I think they knew who they were looking for. And now we know who the suspect is. It's a thirty five year old man by the name of le Bradford Ward. And the story I saw this morning from Woky was the I think it was the aunt of this this suspect, who was pleading for him to turn himself in. And obviously that's probably what I mean, that's that's what this person should do. Now what ends up happening? Who knows but this whoever, I don't know where they are, and clearly law enforcement doesn't either. But this person has at least been The suspect has been on the run for I guess over forty eight hours now, and who knows where he is. Hopefully they can apprehend him soon and he does, in fact do what his family wants him to do, which has turned himself in. And look, this is a tragic situation. All the way around. But it did remind me of something that probably isn't and for understandable reason, the first thing people think of in these situations, and that is the impact on the family of the perpetrator, the suspect. Clearly, the obvious reaction is the remorse for the two people who lost their lives and those that are impacted. But it was just it was a passionate thing to see both his cousin and his aunt just wanting him to do the right thing at this point after committing such a you know, allegedly committing such an awful act, which is killing two women. But yeah, he's I mean again, that's all you can do at this point is to just hope that he does turn himself in if you are the family, but you don't see it that often where within a couple of days of somebody being the top suspect and law enforcement making it a priority to track this person down, their family wanting to go public and say, look, not only am I this person's aunt or cousin, I want them to come forward and turn themselves in and do the right thing here and pleading with this person if in fact he is watching the news, which who knows what he's doing at this time. But yeah, just a tragic situation all the way around. But again, if you see le Bradford Ward, I would encourage you to call law enforcement. Don't approach him, don't let him know they're looking for him. I'm sure he's well aware. And now I'm thinking out loud here where like, I mean, do you think he's did he did he take off somewhere? Did he you know? Is he hiding out? I mean, this guy won't be I don't think he'll be on the run for long, although I say that knowing that we've got I think one of the this will be a movie at some point. Have you seen the New Orleans prison escape against in New Orleans jail where there was like eight to ten INMTES that escaped a long time ago. We're talking like early maybe early June, maybe even BEFO for that, and there's there's now only one that's still out there on the run. And anytime, you know, anytime there's there's a prisoner that's on the run, that becomes a big story because everybody needs to be mindful of you know, where this person could be if if you're near the area, be alert, but also it becomes more of a national story when people realize, Wow, they still haven't got they still haven't got this guy. And there's one of the many that were able to escape from that New Orleans jail that is still on the run, and I assume he'll be caught at some point. But I feel like the longer you have been able, I mean, you can run, but you can't hide. That's a saying for a reason. But I've never been on the run from law enforcement. That may surprise some of you, but I don't have a lot of confidence that i'd be able to uh to to you know, stay hidden, because again, they got a lot of resources to track you down, and that's why more often than not they do exactly that. All Right, Rory O'Neil of NBC News going to join us, coming up here in just a few minutes. We'll also let you hear from the detective in the Crystal Rogers case that let it be known that this isn't over and there could be there could be more trials along the way when it comes to the Christa Rogers situation, and of course also Jason Ellis and Tommy Ballard. All Right, It's Kentucky. It's morning news right here our news radioa forty whas. Happy hump Day, Kentucky, and Ina, it is Kentucky. Anda's morning news here on news radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee with you, and we've got Rory and Eale of NBC News joining us. Rory, We've got now over at least one hundred and ten deaths confirmed in the flooding that took place in Texas last week on the fourth of July, and now I think it's over one hundred and sixty people still missing. Yesterday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott made it clear that the state was ready for this emergency prior to the flooding that has claimed now over one hundred lives. What can you tell us as far as the reaction from folks that are questioning if, in fact this might have been less tragic had resources been a little better.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we're in that natural progression that seems to happen after every disagn Right, there's first the shock, and now everyone is asking, well, wait, why and could this have been prevented or could it have been just not so bad as it was? Because I think we agreed this thirty foot wall of water that developed with this flood is something that really no one could respond to. It just was moving so quickly. But could somehow the preparations, the alerts, the awareness beforehand, could that have been improved. Still a bit of a gray area, and you know, the officials on the ground, including the governor, are saying that, look, right now, the focus still has to be on finding the victims, hopefully finding a survivor, although that seems unlikely, but still that's what they're focused on now and sort of want to push all the finger pointing down the road until this search and rescue operation is complete.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the one and ten people, I'm sorry over one hundred and sixty people that are still missing doing I mean, obviously the type of flooding that took place, it could lead to those that didn't survive. I mean, the scenarios are less as far as where they could end up. But oh, maybe I'm foolish here in thinking it's still surprising there's that many still unaccounted for.
Speaker 4: Well, right, I mean, we were down They said that the missing yesterday morning was about twenty three and then the governor gave the updated figure of about one hundred and sixty five people missing yesterday, So that was a big turnaround.
Speaker 2: And a lot of this.
Speaker 4: Also has to do with the fact that these locations in Kerk County, in particular, a lot of vacation rentals are along the river. So it was fourth of July weekend, a lot of people were renting the homes on the river for the lazy weekend, and so you had people in the houses who aren't necessarily the owners, and we didn't know how many people were there. So by the time you start saying, well, wait a minute, there was a group of six people that was renting that house for the long weekend, even though it belongs to Joe Smith, it's actually six people that we need to account for. So that's the kind of math where things have been changing and we see these numbers tragically.
Speaker 1: Climb Rory and Nale NBC News is our guest joining a serio news radio eight forty whas and I know the economy has a lot of folks looking for ways to make some extra money, which means it's not when it comes to side hustles out there. We've got a new report that says Americans are side hustling quite a bit, which is understandable. What can you tell us as far as this new report what those side hustles are, because I'm sure there's people listening right now that would love to develop a side hustle and bring in some more income.
Speaker 4: Well, look, a lot of people do it because they love it. A lot of people have side hustles because they hate the Monday through Friday nine to five job. Right, they can if they do woodworking or something, they can sort of do that as their mental hobby and then make a profit on the side. But about twenty seven percent of adults in the US now say they have a side hustle, according to Bankrate. But that's actually the lowest number since twenty seventeen. Wow, you know, when we saw that real spike in inflation in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four, the side hustle numbers were like thirty six thirty nine percent of Americans that they had side hustles. So whether it's they have i'll do a little work on the sign with the graphic design project or you know, some freelance writing, but for others it's yeah, I'm a food delivery driver, I'll tutor on the side. I do, you know, doggy daycare and stuff like that. So some people do it just because you can love it. You're bringing the extra dog or whatever, and it's fun. Others, you know, delivering pizzas and stuff may not be as romantic and fun, but it pays the bills, which is what a lot of households need.
Speaker 1: Rory is always appreciate the time, enjoy the rest of your day and we'll talk soon. My friend fact sick. When it comes to side hustles, I think, I mean, I can I can tell you firsthand there are side hustles that become tougher to monetize. I do think Rory brings up a good point that a side hustle for a lot of people ends up being something that they enjoy and then realize, oh wow, I could actually maybe use some time here. I've got the extra time and make some money doing it. But there's things that now and I know this is going to be an easy excuse for a lot, but AI can do a lot of things that you probably used to pay people to do on the side for you. So yeah, twenty seven percent, I know if people could have a side hustle and make more money, that number would be a lot higher. All right, let's get an update on trafficking weather and also another flat on sports coming your way right here on news Radio eight forty WHS