Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is simply Safe Home security. When it comes to the unknown variables life can throw at you, being reactive usually just doesn't cut it. If you have a home security system that doesn't trigger until a break and has already begun, that's too little, too late. Unlike traditional security system, simply Safe it's designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. Smart AI powered outdoor cameras to teket suspicious activity at the perimeter.
Speaker 2: And alert live US based agents to step in.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe agents assess the threat, intervening with the outdoor camera to scare off trespassers, then call nine to one one for dispatch. Our CEO, Lucinda recently had a simply Safe system installed in her home. She said it was easy to do, set up in no time. She's been really impressed by how easy it is to turn the system on and off when you're traveling. The cameras are great, all the technology is top of the line. She's just a big fan of it, so we highly recommend it. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Right now you can get fifty percent off a new simply Safe system. Go to simplysafe dot com slash crooked that's simply saved dot com slash for fifty percent off. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod Save America. I'm Jhon Favreau.
Speaker 3: I'm Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 2: On today's show, We're going to talk about Trump's new threat to send gas prices back up at what was ostensibly an affordability stop in Vegas, where he also debuted the Republican argument against Abdul l Saied and other progressives. We'll also talk about Abdul's general election argument, the final days of the Wisconsin primary, and the new fifteen million dollars centrist plan to go to war against the Democratic Socialists of America. Fun On the Republican side, the Max Miller story has somehow become even more revolting. Another House Republican resigns over inappropriate conduct with staffers, and the draft Tucker Carlson for President movement has begun. Then Dan talks to David Crowley, the Milwaukee County executive who's trying to catch Francesca hung in the Democratic primary for Wisconsin governor. Before we start, just a reminder that Crooked Con tickets are available. Now, and they are going fast, so you're going to want to get them. This year's event is going to be even bigger and better, starting with a Pod Save America live show on Thursday, November fifth, and Strict Scrutiny and Love It or Leave It live shows on Friday, November sixth, and then on Saturday, November seventh in DC. That's the big event. We'll have a full day of panels and interviews with the smartest and least annoying elected officials and strategists in the party. Can we promise least annoying? I mean, we're going to be there, I don't know who knows. That's all high.
Speaker 3: How about not the most annoying?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think we can do not the most annoying.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we can make that promise. If you're a Friend of the Pod, you get a special discounted rate for these tickets. And if you're not already a subscriber, what are you waiting for? Head to cricketcon dot com to get your tickets and become a Friends of the Pod subscriber. All right, let's get to the news. While the factional war within the Democratic Party continued to rage this week, the Republican president, with the record low thirty eight percent approval rating, took his traveling circus to Vegas, where he appeared with Governor Joel Lombardo at an event where the intended message was supposed to be about the Republican Party's efforts to make life easier for working Americans. Let's see how they did. We'll start with Lombardo here talking about Trump.
Speaker 5: Quite often, when the press and the media runs them down, they think about, you know, he's taking care of his billionaire friends. But those billionaire friends provide jobs. So I know Pastor Tye spoke about Officer abdel Nabby a few moments ago. No, no, we're not booing we're not booing him. He's the officer that passed away here recently.
Speaker 6: So the tariffs have made us rich. Remember I used to say that tariffs are.
Speaker 2: My favorite word. I love tariffs.
Speaker 4: So my favorite word in the dictionary.
Speaker 6: Tariff when gasoline, when oil goes down, and it's going to go down very.
Speaker 4: Rapidly, and it's happening very soon, already happening.
Speaker 6: If you look today, it's seventy five dollars down to seventy five at dropping.
Speaker 4: And we may have to send it up again. We may have to. You know what happens when we send it up.
Speaker 6: I saw polls today on television. I say, Donald's Trump polls on the economy aren't good? Do The economy is the greatest economy we've ever had by far.
Speaker 2: Wow. Lots of unpack there, dan before we zero in on that disciplined affordability messaging. The moment they got the most attention were all the booze you just heard when Lombardo invoked the name of Officer abdel Nabi, a Vegas police officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty on Tuesday. What do you think could have possibly led the crowd to boo the name of a heroic law enforcement officer and former marine.
Speaker 3: It's hard to find a better example of the racism, jingoism, Islamophobia that has become part and parcel of Republican politics, even for years now, even before the Trump era. That just at the mere mention of a name that sounds Muslim, the crowd.
Speaker 2: Boost truly truly upsetting, and and Lombardo is like, no, no, no, don't boo And then Trump later says says his name as well, and has to like calm the crowd down.
Speaker 3: So it's shocking and been not surprising that this happened. I think the also the thing that treatest point is, like you said, I got a lot of attention. We still got a lot of intention on Twitter, we got some news coverage. But you and I were talking about this earlier. But in twenty twelve, there was a Republican primary presidential debate and they had they were doing video questions submitted. I'm sure there was some like very anachronistic social media a lot tie into this debate, like it was a Facebook debate of something. They had a video from a soldier who had served in Iraq who was gay, and he was asking the Republicans if they were going to roll back the progress that had been made on LGBTQ rights, and the crowd booed, and it was like a four day story, and every Republican had to come back and say they wish they told the crowd not the boot and here it just happens, and it's like, oh, obviously this is what happens to Trump's America, and we just move on.
Speaker 2: You said that it was hard to find another example, but I have one Tuesday. I don't know if you saw that. In the Republican primary in Michigan's eighth district, Trump's preferred candidate, a mere Hassan who he campaigned with in person the other day at the GM plant, lost to a candidate named Tom Smith, who dropped out of the race a month ago. This is a mere hassan. In his campaign literature it said Jesus Christ is his Lord and Savior. He talks about how he's a Christian. Guy's a former veteran, former marine cop, former cop. The NRCC spent money on this race, Trump endorsed, Trump appeared with him, Trump endorsed him on truth Social and lost to a guy that spent no money and dropped out of the race a month earlier. Because his name was Tom Smith.
Speaker 3: Well, Johnny's also a salsa magnet. He has his own line of salsae.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's he's a former.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's an anti salsa vote.
Speaker 3: Then maybe maybe it is anti Salicovot. And this is like, this is not an insignificant deal because this is a district that Trump won by two points, that has a Democrat sitting at a Chris McDonald Rivet and so this is a bit it would have been a potential NRCC target. She's a very strong candidate. She outperformed Kama Harris by nine points last time. But the reason Trump got involved here with you try to get a candid they thought could win. Republican voters were like, look, Trump has a lot of pull, but his poll is not stronger than my own personal racism. So I'm going to take the defunct zombie candidate with the salsa instead.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I'm sorry. The guy that won is the salsa.
Speaker 3: Yes, the guy with the who won is sorry Tom Smith.
Speaker 2: Is So then it was a pro salsa vote.
Speaker 3: Then, yeah, I just I gonna go on on a limb and say that large majorities of the republic primary voters are not familiar with jar Head salsa, which was named after his three sons, ter Marines, and they just went with the whitest name possible, which is Tom Smith.
Speaker 2: In just in case you think that we're just guessing about the Islamophobia here and the racism. When Trump endorsed him on truth Social it was just flooded with comments from Trump supporters like have you lost your mind? Endorsing Muslim candidates and no Muslims in America, no Muslims in office. Or this one is a little more subtle. His name gives me pause. Call me racist, but I am merely being cautious. Obama comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Subtle.
Speaker 2: So that's just a few of the remarks. There's a few of the reactions to Trump's endorsement of Amre Hasan. So things are going great with the Republican on affordability. How psych do you think Swing state voters already hear that Trump is sending up the price of oil again. It's going to have to send it up. And the people of Nevada hearing the Republican governor saying, hey, they should just be grateful to all the billionaires for providing all those jobs.
Speaker 3: Let's take these two things separately for a second. So let's start with gas prices. Now, most of the time when gas prices go up, presidents go out of their way to make it clear that gas price it's a global oil market. There are lots of things the president is not personally responsible. Not Trump. He swings in the other direction and leans in directly to say, look, I am the guy me I decide whether they go up or down, and I may decide to make them go up again. Just FYI, that's me, Donald J. Trump, the gas price raising guy. That's me, truly, And like.
Speaker 2: What is he even? I guess he's I guess he's referencing that he may attack Iran.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's threatening to bam Iran again.
Speaker 2: Right. But also he was in the Oval right before he recorded, someone asked him about this, this potential deal between Iran and Oman about the Straight of Horror moves and he's like, well, we kind of control it already. Kind of you no, he said, I'm sorry. He said, it's kind of open already. We control it, which is also interesting because it's like, it's if we control it, why is it only kind of open? The truth is, uh, if they make a deal Iran and Oman about the Straight of hor moves, notice we're not involved. Iran still controls this straight and they will be charging a They want to charge a five to seven percent fee for all the tankers that go through the Straight of horor moves. And Gregory brew who's an Iran expert on Twitter, was just crunching the numbers and he said a five percent fee assessed on outbound tankers would translate into fifty two million dollars per day for the regime. So we are currently spending one billion dollars a day, taxpayer dollars, all of us. Were spending this on a war that has left eighteen Americans dead, hundreds wounded, and is going to result in status quo from before the war. With the addition of now Iran controls the straight and is making fifty two million dollars a day. And I guess the regime is slightly different in that they are younger and more radical than the old regime.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so things are going great. There's also a Washington Post report over the weekend that the reason why Trump canceled his planned attack on Iran was not because of the pending deal, but because he had a blow up with Pete Heggsath over the fact that we are running out of missiles.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then he and then he threatened to jail the person who leaked that story, which is a fake story, which is also stricky to do both of those things. The story isn't real, it's totally made up, but I'm going to fire the person that leaked the made up story.
Speaker 3: So they're talking about the millionaire thing for a second.
Speaker 2: Two, Yes, let's talk about the billionaires, because several billions also in attendance.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is also funny because it is to one, he's repeating the democratic attack, which is never what you want. But then he's like, the basic gist of Lombardo's message is, yes, Trump is helping billionaires. He is definitely doing that. But some of those billionaires they help you.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: I like that. The old the old Republican Party, the non Maga Republican Party, and the least politically popular part of that party is sort of roaring back just in time for the midterm election. Are you familiar with the Great Burrito Debate of twenty twenty six?
Speaker 3: Talk to me about this because I've really struggle to keep up with it.
Speaker 2: This is a very This is a Twitter thing, but it has involved everyone from.
Speaker 3: And what I want information on Twitter things. If elig she's not available, I go to.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you, thank you. Well, let's just just just hear me out on the people involved in this. So Andrew Covit of TPUSA, Charlie Kirk's producer now sort of in charge of TPUSA, said that one of their college students in one of the TPOSA Chapters told him recently that a burrito shouldn't cost twenty dollars. Matt Walsh of The Daily Wire he was complaining about the price of groceries, and Andrew colvid said, you know, I've hearing this from kids. They said the brito shouldn't cost twenty dollars. Mark Tison, who's the former Bush speech writer who is now you know, full time warmonger on Fox News, has advised Trump to fight this war. And Iron loves war, loves nothing more than war. He jumped in and just like had several tweets in response to Andrew Colvit that said, a burrito only costs twenty dollars when you buy it on door Dash because you're too lazy to walk over to Chipotle or Taco Bell where you can get one. For three ninety nine, when I graduated, I lived on Ramen noodles, had two roommates, and worked two jobs. I didn't whind about affordability. I worked hard so I could one day afford a better life. And then he wasn't done yet, so we had another tweet crimea River. The burritos in the college cafeteria are included in your meal plan, and then it would have ended there. But jd Vance, back from paternity leave and apparently back from swearing off shit posting on Twitter, as as Susie Wiles had advised him to do, decided to jump right in here and say, I'm surprised to hear Mark say this. If you've ever met him in person, it's quite obvious the man has never missed a burrito.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of things on that one. J D Vance not exactly.
Speaker 2: Saving a lot of burritos.
Speaker 3: Just I'm not here to come in on his weight, but I don't think he is at such and such a great shape that he can be casting expersions on others to calling Martise in fat on Twitter. He is possibly the most likely and popular thing Jada Vance has ever done.
Speaker 2: I know that is tough. That is tough. I did welcome him back to Twitter when he did that, I was I was very said, welcome back, welcome back to shit.
Speaker 3: Did he respond to you?
Speaker 2: He did it? He did it, But I will I will continue to try and debate him. So and then Dan Crenshaw, remember Dan Crenshaw, congressman. He just lost his primary, so he won't be coming back to Congress, so he must have felt a little liberated. He decided to tweet out of the blue just to dive into this debate. Just hearing about this dumb twenty dollars burrito debate. So just thought I'd make the losers on social media angry before going to bed. Stop whining, get a job, Eat ramen like the rest of us did in college, a lot of a lot of Ramen references on a budget with four roommates. The market doesn't care what you think something should cost.
Speaker 3: Did you eat a lot of romen in college?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I had a ton of romen. Really, I'm like not a romen person. I like, I don't. I've probably eaten ramen like once.
Speaker 3: But we're talking when we talk about ramen like we're talking instant ramen. We're not talking you know.
Speaker 2: I know I've seen the some local it'ya we went to also also haven't had that, yeah at the at the localist. Kaya great message. I think I think they're firing on all cylinders on affordability as we head into the midterms, we lose to these people.
Speaker 3: Stop whining. It's a great message to give to voters.
Speaker 2: Stop whining. We talked about this on our on our bonus episode, and we talked about Michigan. But Mike Rogers in Michigan has a whole bunch of these comments about you know, people should be like, oh the price of coffee, Oh boo. Who still a lot of a lot of bad stuff out there for Republicans on affordability. One more thing about this event before we leave the Vegas event. This might have been more important than anything Trump said. It was his new look, which is our eighty year old president appears to have grown a new head of hair overnight.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Take a look at these photos, Dan from last week and this week. We've got a side by side again. If you're just listening, you're gonna need to start on YouTube, especially for this so that Jesus Christ. So on the.
Speaker 3: Can I do the description here? Please? Okay? So on the left, this is the quote unquote before photo. Trump's hair is kind of a shade of gray. I'd say it is stringy. It is not covering the full scalp. He looks a little bit like like a ferret that just got of the bath with alopecia. Like it's not a good look, right, And on the right the after photo, if you will. He has a lush head of hair that covers everything. It is flowing. It's also an entirely different color than the one from a few days ago.
Speaker 2: It looks like something that RFK Junior would peel off the road and eat.
Speaker 3: I think he looks like it looks like he is in a nineteen seventy shampoo commercial. Like that is some real hair there, Like he could be you know, he could be in the Partridge family. Like that is good hair, don't It is not a good color, doesn't seem real. It's going in directions that hair should not go. But it is more hair than he had a few days before. And like I said, a very different color.
Speaker 2: Looks like is it a wig? Is it?
Speaker 3: I think he's got extensions put in there. I think they got they added something, yeah, and he got it. He got it colored. I guess I matched the extensions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a highlighter.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean it is. His face also looks very different too. They all hold the different people.
Speaker 2: Did he get it sprayed with the same stuff they're using on all the statues in DC? Is that he used some of the paint from the oval for his hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is, there's a little bit of like gold to it.
Speaker 2: I guess anyway, I guess good for him, But that I mean.
Speaker 3: I read, Ah, I read a People magazine story on this because I wanted to do real research, and in it is says we called the White House for two to get comment on the president's new hair.
Speaker 2: They did not respond, which is it's a real tell.
Speaker 3: There is Caroline Levit. She's briefing again.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I hope someone's asking this question.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely someone will ask it.
Speaker 3: Can you either get these TMC guys or are making they're making the rounds in DC. We got to get them.
Speaker 2: On this story, I get to say. I don't usually, you know, I don't usually buy into these various Trump conspiracies, and yeah, but it really looks like something happened.
Speaker 4: With the hair.
Speaker 3: Something. There's no one that I am the same head of hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'm buying this one. I hook line and sinker, call me a resist lib, call me blue Mago, whatever it is. I believe this one. It's I can see with my own advice. Yeah, okay, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Pod.
Speaker 2: Dave America is brought to you by Joe Lee If you struggle with chronic skin concerns like dryness, sensitivity, breakouts, or scalp issues. You've probably tried a lot of products with ingredients that promise to address them, But what about the ingredient with which your skin comes into most frequent contact. Your home's water. Water quality majorly affects your skin and hair, so give both the best chance by switching to a Joelle's shower filter. If you have hard water, like most of us do, here in La Jolie is the solution to filter out chlorine, heavy metals, and everything else you don't want in your water that can damage your skin and hair. The Jolie showerhead installs in minutes, fits all showers, delivers amazing pressure, and elevates any space. This small upgrade can make a significant difference in how your skin and hair feel all year long. Plus, the sleek aesthetic of the Joe showerhead means your bathroom will instantly feel more chic. This is great love a shower head with high pressure. That's the problem with shower heads. You have a shower head, you're in the house and then just like dribbling out, you don't want that, No, you want to you want strong pressure when you're in the shower, try Jolie risk free for sixty days by going to Joli skinco dot com slash crooked. That's Joe skin Co g A O l I E s k I n c O dot com slash crooked. Jolie is also available on Amazon. All right, onto more important stuff. Now that the Michigan primary is nothing more important than that. Now that the Michigan primary is behind us, everyone is in spin mode and trying to project confidence about the course ahead. Here's Trump in Vegas about Abdul.
Speaker 4: Abdulah lovely gentleman. He's a man of hate, and now he's going.
Speaker 6: Around saying, no, I love everybody I love.
Speaker 7: He doesn't love everybody. Put him in office. You're gonna find out what he loves. He doesn't love Israel. He doesn't love Jewish people. He hates them. He hates them with a passion that burns in his heart and is not a fricking thing he can do about it.
Speaker 6: Filth, crime, death, destruction, embarrassment. You lose your home, you lose your apartment, and that's where the communists will take us.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. When I watch Abdul.
Speaker 6: He's full of shit.
Speaker 2: Quite what is he full of shit about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's not I know this is this is the exception to Trump's usually logical and uh well, easily understood explanations. But yeah, no, it doesn't make a lot of sense here.
Speaker 2: It is funny how and I know this is not the first time, but they really have made the full shift from socialism to communism. So they were they were flirting with both for a while and now they've just gone full They've left socialism behind.
Speaker 3: The last I would say, the day before, the day of, in the day after the Michigan primary are all sort of a blur. But didn't Trump at some point truth something about how Hailey Stevens was a socialist and Abdul was a communist.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't even know if he said Abdul was a communist. In that tweet he said he he did Abdul's full name to do some of the racism, and then then he referred to Hailey Stevens as a socialist.
Speaker 3: Socialist yet okay, but he had previously referred Abduel as a communist. So he has resked as a as a true scholar of the works of Karl Marx and Lenin. He has a very well understood distinction between communists and social so I'm sure it's being applied correctly here.
Speaker 2: I will say on election day, our friends at MS now, I was just tuning in and multiple times I saw up on the screen this very pland chart that was comparing communism and socialism, just to give people rundown of the difference between the two, which is.
Speaker 3: Not where you want to be on our party right now. It's like, look, he's not a communist a socialist.
Speaker 2: I don't I you know, someone will have to correct but I don't know what the context was because they had it muted because I was working, But I'm like, what, why does it keep popping up on my screen? Anyway? So, for his part, Abdul has been doing lots of interviews, including this one with CNN's Kaitln Collins on Wednesday night.
Speaker 8: We've heard some Democrats who are worried that you cannot defeat Mike Rogers come November. How do you plan to address those concerns from people in your own party.
Speaker 9: We don't need worry we need work. Worrying and Democrats worrying is not going to the problems.
Speaker 8: She is now supporting you now that you have won the nomination? Are you going to invite her to campaign with you out on the trail?
Speaker 9: Look, we need everybody together to beat Mike Rogers. I'm grateful we had a great conversation this morning. We talked about a hard fought primary. You know, I've known the Congress froman since twenty eighteen, since we ran together. And again, whatever our different disagreements, we know that the disagreements we have with Mike Rogers and Donald Trump are so much bigger.
Speaker 8: So given how many votes she got, will should be on the campaign trail with you.
Speaker 4: Look, I should hope.
Speaker 9: So that's a choice that she gets to make. There are people like Jade Vance or Donald Trump or Mike Rogers who wanted to find America as being too small to include some kinds of people. I believe that America is big. It's open minded, it's big hearted. It can include any of us, regardless of how we pray, regardless of where our families come from, regardless of who we love or how we identify. That's the America we're building. And I think America in Michigan in particular, has an opportunity to remind us just how big we are.
Speaker 2: What do you think of Abdul's unity message? There inevitable attention he's now getting from Trump. And one thing that was on my mind as I was watching that and just sort of seeing the last couple of days play out, it seems like what Abdul has to do one of the many tasks he has now is so much of the coverage of this race and the discussion about this race is centered on him, and it feels like he needs to sort of the turn the ship so that it focuses on Trump and Mike Rogers, and I wonder if you have thoughts on how he can do that.
Speaker 3: I do so on the unity side. His message is great. I think I think you and I may have talked about this in the bonus, probably did, but it's even more true now than it was when we recorded right after the election. Abdul, Hailey, Stems, no I, mcmorro, Gresh and Whitmer, everyone involved has done an excellent shop. They've done exactly what they need to do. Even the people who are some of Abdul's biggest opponents on Twitter have come around and are tweeting out the national links for him. Everyone understands the urgency of the task among at least the political elites in the establishment, and I think that is this could have been divisive, It could have lingered on. It did not. They had the Unity breakfast, which was previously scheduled, was held this morning. Abdul and Haley hugged on camera during that when she came to the stage. I think like we were doing exceeding all expectations there. I think that is that is great. I think Trump get it. Involving himself in this race is also great for Abdul. Trump is a thirty eight percent approval rating. According to some poles in Michigan. Talk about it all the time. Come campaign with Mike Rogers, come many times, talk about it. It will only help with the voters who were skeptical of Abdul but very much disapproved of Trump. That is be very very helpful him. I think that's great. I think it's going to take a little bit. You've got to get through this immediate post primary cycle where everything is going to be about Abdul, where the race goes, can you win like you did? That has to wash out the system. I think him doing all these interviews just helps wash that out of the system early on. Instead of lingering, he's got to just make it all about Mike Rogers all the time. We got to get an add up about Mike Rodgers, got to be talking about Mike Rodgers, got to be talking about Mike Rodgers, and Trump just don't like you have to answer the questions from the press. But and I think he's done a pretty good job of this in these interviews. This is immediately pivot to Mike Rodgers, the pivotmrcrat. It is the same thing we had in Maine where it was all Graham Platner for a year and nothing about Susan Collins, and then as soon as Trey Jackson got in the race, you can really make it about Susan Collins. I think Abdul has got to do that. There should probably think of some high profile ways to do it. He could give a speech that sort of lays out the case against Mike Rodgers. You could use an ad or a video to do it. I think we'll look at one of these videos shortly. But it's just like that is the task, and it's there's a you could there's always a fear of overcomplicating these tasks because Abdul has very big visions for politics, very big visions for policy. But right now we need people to focus on who Mike Rodgers is, why he's bad, and how how much he's in Donald Trump's pocket.
Speaker 2: And I also think as he does that the images of a and the settings where he is is going to be important too. And I think he just needs to go to all the places in Michigan where maybe he didn't do as well on the primary, and like there's a duel with older people, there's a duel with more older white men and working class folks and black folks in Detroit, and like all the constituencies that supported him in the primary, like he's he's got those, He's got those folks. And as he is talking about how Mike Rogers has let down Michigan and Donald Trump has let down Michigan and will continue to do that, he should be around the kind of voters that you wouldn't think Abdul would be able to attract. I think that's probably important too.
Speaker 3: I think that that's that's the thing that I believe. They did so many podcasts about this race on Wednesday, but it is you never saw in the primary Abdul campaign do anything that was counterintuitive in terms of who supported him. Yeah, like where you know, you like, it's a classic thing. But he says all the time that these three time Trump voters come to his events and say they're supporting him. Put them in an ad. Yeah, right, get to the rural areas, and he did a lot of part of it what breaks through and one of the reasons why he actually won is because he performed better than people thought he could in the upper peninsul of Michigan and because he went to that. He did four hundred and fifty campaign events, so he was doing town halls in some of these places. But that stuff just didn't get as much attention as campaigning with AOC, campaigning with Bernie, the big rallies and so just you know, kind of getting a load of the ground and doing more that stuff will be helpful.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and I would not I would stop campaigning with the streamers and maybe some And here's the thing, I don't actually think, you know, this is not a like he should campaign with the Republicans who elected Republicans who were for him, or who used to be Republicans that are now Democrats, like because I think people just don't tend to trust politicians in general, right, with the exception of like, yes, of course we talked about this yesterday, that he should like bring out Obama towards the end of the race, and people like that. But I think it's the vote. It's the voters that you're seeing with that are most important. Right, Like we're going to laugh saying this, but it's axrod always told Obama like, you got to be close to the ground, right, because you've got to be with the voters, with crowds of people in small settings, in places where again it's unexpected, and then say the thing that's going to break through about Mike Rodgers or about Trump, so that when you get covered, you have that backdrop. So the outside groups are also starting up their messaging efforts. We played the nrsc's first ad in the Bonus episode that dropped on Wednesday, set up Majority Pack, one of the mainstream democratic groups is countering with, among other things, this ad.
Speaker 10: There comes a time in life when things start to slow down, when you just don't have the same energy you had twenty years ago. But there's a way to bring some excitement back.
Speaker 11: What has not helped is the fact that the United States hasn't strongly said that military intervention is still on the table.
Speaker 10: Introducing endless war from MIC.
Speaker 9: Side effects may include death, economic hardship, and global instability.
Speaker 3: Some patients have reported fuel shortages, which may cause inflation. Endless war has not been proven to make Americans any safer.
Speaker 10: Ask your doctor if endless war is right for you.
Speaker 2: It's funny, it's clever, it's great.
Speaker 3: The log line of this ad should be the war and Iran gives Mike Rogers a four hour erection.
Speaker 2: Yes, that would be the that would be the that would be turning up the dial one one more.
Speaker 3: I actually I think that is great because it's never gonna err on TV. It's for viral purposes only. You gotta turn it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good for cent a majority pack. You know, it's great.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 2: It looks like those establishment hills can you know, can come through once in a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is There is a very smart, clever person somewhere in the digital department who had this idea, and I really applaud the leadership for letting this idea see the light of day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great. So Trump didn't just mention Abdul in Vegas. He also told the crowd that quote, the communists in Wisconsin have a woman who wants Thanksgiving abolished and says police exists to uphold white supremacy. He was speaking, of course, about Francesca Hong, who I interviewed on Tuesday show. Later you'll hear Dan's interview with her primary opponent, David Crowley, who was mounted a last ditch effort along with Governor Tony Evers to beat the front runner in Tuesday's big primary. Evers told reporters on Thursday that someone who has to spend all their time explaining old tweets doesn't have a very good shot at winning. Crowley has also circulated a polling memo arguing that the race is closer than people think, drawing some comparisons in that memo to some of the polls in Michigan, the primary polls that sort of over estimated Abdual support in that race and drew parallels in some of the Wisconsin pulling. I know you spoke to Crowley thoughts on his chances and how the race is closing, and that polling memo.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say how the race is closing because, as Michigan taught us, we really are flying blind here and no real idea, and because it's even hard to decouple exactly why the polls were all wrong. Like there's John Cohen, who was a polling guy. I talked to this on Puller Coatsay, But he's a polling guy for the posts. He worked at survey Monkey. Now he's got his own firm, but he went through and analyzed all the polls. And the short version is they're all different. They're all wrong for different reasons.
Speaker 2: Cool, cool, Cool.
Speaker 3: It's not like one clear error. There's some where they misjudged how much mail was in the place, there's some that would that oversampled younger, all kinds of different reasons. So it's very confusing to know, which means that we don't really know what's happening in Wisconsin. It is possible that one point that that was made in this is that all of the polls except one in Michigan were online text to text to web poles, and so that those poles do have a potential for get over sampling more educated, more engaged voters that may have benefited Abdul that the same thing could be the city you get to get the same pop situation in Wisconsin in those poles. Now, Hong is leading by a lot more in these polls than Abdulah, so even a polling error of the same size would still have her winning by double digits. But Crowley's memo is interesting because they basically maps the polling to the the turnout by age in the twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two Wisconsin primaries, And if you do that with their polls, it gets you to thirty two thirty two. We'll see, so hard to know. There has been a lot of attention for the last week on Hong and her her comments, her response to comments you have Bernie Sanders to you on our Wednesday night pod saying that he's not endorsing her real questions about her electability. So, if there is an actual opportunity for this race to close, and Crowley has the resources to actually pull this off, it's happening in the right political envi for him. But it may be too little, too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I have to be honest, like, I have more doubts about Han's ability to win the general than maybe almost any other candidate we've talked about. I could be wrong, you know. I mean, I'm not telling anyone how to vote, but I just I want to make sure everyone in Wisconsin is, you know, clear about the risks here, like even not knowing anything else. She's running as a Democratic Socialist in a state that Donald Trump won twice, one of the closest, most competitive states in the country. She has advocated for abolishing prisons and the police, who, she said, as Trump mentioned, exists to uphold white supremacy. And then I mean, you heard my interview with her, like when I gave her the chance to walk back those statements, she kind of did, but she also gave like, at best, a muddled answer where she talked about like having met with justice impacted individuals, which is not a phrase people use. There's the Bernie thing. They're like, it's just you know, just just today, Zorn Mamdani was in at some event in New York and was asked what part of the DSA platforms that he disagrees with, and immediately, immediately, very clearly, he said, oh, I break from them on public safety because we need our police force, and we need our prisons. We need public safety. Clear like right, out of the gate and if you're gonna have taken those positions in the past. Right, Again, it's not about like you have bad tweets. It's not just about the Thanksgiving thing. We've all heard about that. But if you're gonna have those tweets, then like you kind of need a pretty clear answer of why you've evolved since then, how your views have changed. You either say, oh I met with people, I changed my mind, whatever else, and like it just doesn't. I do not have the confidence when I listened to her answers that she is going to be able to win an incredibly tough state. You know. Now again, maybe she will, maybe she'll improve as it can, but makes me a little nervous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what I like to say questions what electability is. Electability is an unknowable concept because the candidates who win are always elected on the candidates or lose are unelectable, and it's so it's all theory. It's a self fulfilling theoretical concept. However, you can make some educated guesses on which candidate might be better. Those guesses could be wrong, but you can look at the partisanship of the state, a candidate's skills they're where their issue agenda maps to the state. Are they within the mainstream and the state. Outside of the mainstream and the state, there's a pretty fair amount of pulling, which shows that, particularly in swing states, the label of democratic socialism is a anvil on your candidacy.
Speaker 2: Which again which she embraces right, Like, it's not it's not like she's being tagged DSA unfairly or whatever. Like she's like, yeah, I'm running as a Democratic socialist, ye.
Speaker 3: And so like, obviously this is up to the people of Wisconsin. They will side and then everyone ourselves included, everything we can to nominee win, whether that's whether that's Hong or Crowley. But yeah, I don't think anyone is wrong to be concerned that she is likely to is a steeper hill for her to climb in what is going to be a very very tough race than someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, I've also heard people say, well, she's you know, why is she so far ahead in the polls, And clearly she's like run an inspiring campaign that's attracted a lot of support. I think that is that is true, clearly, But it's also been an unusually calm primary like the last debate. They didn't really go after her or each other that much, like for various reasons, whatever it may be, that's just it certainly was not like the Hailey Stevens Abdul lsa ED primary, where they kind of previewed Hailey Stephens previewed some of the attacks that Abdul might get, and Abdul, you know, certainly attacked her as well. But like this one has been kind of quiet in Wisconsin, so she has not had to face what she surely will face from the Republican Party who are just sitting there and like getting excited about about a general election. So the stuff that everyone's bringing up now, it's not like, you know, just nervous Democrats are doing it just for fun or just to be mean or whatever. It's because it's definitely coming from Republicans and she just hasn't faced it yet.
Speaker 3: Sure, Keypine has clearly caught fire. She has inspired people. She's to have been much more inspiring than all the other candidates who were running. I mean, Crowley had to drop out of the race originally, yes, and then came back in the race. And I do like you and I as political professionals can look at this and make this assessment of why we think someone is more electable than someone isn't. If you're just a regular voter in Wisconsin who is hurting, who is frustrated, You're angry at the establishment, your finances are hurt, and you have this inspiring candidate who has a very powerful personal story of politics and offering this progressive agenda, I fully understand why they would back that person. And I understand why be skept of either people like us or Governor Torni Evers, who has said publicly that she does not think she can win. Why you would not take that to the bank, because these people have told you in election after election to put aside what you want for something else because that gives his a better chance of winning. And then those candidates lose. And so I like, this is not what you were doing. But there's no real upside in yelling the voters for making a decision that I understand why they come to that decision, even if I think it maybe makes it less likely they get the outcome they want in the end because of the politics.
Speaker 4: Of the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like, I know you're saying that, but I'm certainly not yelling at anyone I'm just saying, you're informing them if you have not gone to if you have not gone to the ballot box yet, just you know, do some research on this, think about this, because this is not and like and I'm the same person who made an argument for Abdul in the Michigan primary who's the left candidate, And I've done so in many other cases as well, and this is the one that really rings some bells for me, raises some alarms. Whatever the bad man.
Speaker 3: And just so that people understand the stakes, the Tom Tiffany, the Republican, is an election denier who would then be governor of Wisconsin when they are certifying the votes of the twenty twenty eight presidential election. And Wisconsin, as I've said before, as a state that's been decided by one point five of the last seven presidential elections, so it'll be right within the insurrection zone most likely.
Speaker 2: And for the people of Wisconsin too, you have a chance in twenty twenty six to have a Democratic trifecta in the state of Wisconsin for the first time. So aside from just like stopping stopping the steal in twenty twenty eight, like, there's just a chance to have a democratic governor and democratic legislature to get a lot of shit done for that, like going to make people's lives better in Wisconsin, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: Patze America is brought to you by Quince. Remembered the excitement of shopping for back to school close. I still still I see. I don't feel a rush every August. I feel sad every August because it reminds you of going back to school. And I hated school. But I like getting new clothes, and that's why I love shopping at Quint's. Quint's is all about helping you curate a closet with fewer, better pieces. Their clothes are made with premium materials, built to last, and designed to become the ones you reach for day after day. Quints specializes in everyday staples that work harder, like their ultrasoft organic cotton teas and premium Mongolian cashmere sweaters.
Speaker 2: They're versatile.
Speaker 1: They're timeless in transitions, seamlessly from casual work day to a more upscale dinner out. If you're still hanging on to the same worn out basics, Quints makes it easy to upgrade. They have premium denim and tailored chinos for just sixty dollars with the kind of perfect fit structure and high quality fabrics you'd expect from a luxury designer brand. Everything at Quint's is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middleman, so you're paying for high quality, not brand markup. So I bought a ton of stuff fro Quints. Over the years, I've bought some stuff for myself. I bought some sweat that I gave his gifts last year. This was a Mongolian cashumer sweaters were a huge hit around Christmas. The thing I've been wearing the most lately are the quint workout shirts. They sell basic workout shirts. They're way cheaper than the big brand stores and they're just They work, They work well, their high quality, they last forever and I highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: Upgrade your every.
Speaker 1: Day go to quint dot com slash crooked for free shipping on your order and three hundred and sixty five day returns now available in Canada and the UK. Two that's qui n ce dot com slash crooked for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns at quints dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 2: Okay, So between Abdul and Hung there's been a lot of consternation among more moderate Democrats this week. I just heard some. Then there's the centrisk group Third Way, which took that up a notch on Thursday with an announcement in the New York Times that they're planning to spend fifteen million dollars between now and twenty twenty eight too quote discredit Democratic Socialism. The group's president, John Cowen said they are preparing for war and that while the effort won't go after individual candidates, it will involve opera research into the DSA. What do you think, Dan, good use of time and money, John.
Speaker 3: There are many reasons why the DSA has gained prominence in recent years. One of those is that Democrats feel let down by the money establishment in our party. And so it's hard for me to believe that the money to establishment announcing in the New York Times a fifteen million dollar campaign against the DSA is going to do anything other than reinforce the DSA's argument about where the Democratic Party is failing, that it's voters. It is counterproductive. It is going to add best case scenario, it's lighting fifteen million dollars. It could be used to recruit and train candidates for grassroots orizing lighting that on fire. That's best case naro. Most likely case scenario to me is it just strengthen the DSA's hand. It's just I just do not understand it. You know, when I talk to Amanda Littman, who runs Run for Something, which is one of the most important organizations the Democotic Party, a few weeks ago, I think she told me her yearly budget is seven million dollars. So think about what else that fifteen million dollars could go to.
Speaker 2: It's wild and like, you know, I know that Matt Bennett third Way sort of responded to you and said, and he's fronted to me and was like, we're also supporting candidates, and we have a think tank and we have some exciting ideas. It's like and that that may well be true, but that's not what anyone's hearing about. When there's a story pitch to The New York Times about a fifteen million dollar plan to go to war with the DSA, you know, I just like, that's that's what's that's what you're choosing to have breakthrough. I just think that the whole the whole plan here from the from the centrists is it feels very an nachronistic old school like if you don't like DSA and your war. And it's not just DSA, because there's they're talking about Democratic Socialist of America besides Francesca Hung who we just talked about a lot of these A lot of what they've been going to war against is democrats who aren't DSA, who they just believe are too far left and is particularly in Israel, yes, and then some other issues as well, but so like and then they call it the in the in the piece, they call it the DSA dodge, which is candidates who explicitly aren't running as DSA candidates but still seem too far left for them. So they're like tagging those candidates with it too. But it's like and then and they're talking about opera research and the DSA platform, like the DSA platform. Who's running on the fucking national DSA platform. How many candidates are actually in America running on the DSA platform, Like none of the you know, Mamdani was breaking with a lot of the DSA platform. He was like the big DSA person AOC is not DSA. Like it's if you don't like the left, go after or make an argument against the policies that people on the left are proposing that you don't think are popular or the right policy or whatever. Like if you're upset about medicare for all, talk about medicare for all. If you don't like abolishing ice, talk about abolishing ice. If you have a problem with the Israel policy, talk about the policy. But the tendency of a lot of centrists to just like attack DSA and this it's just it's really I think it's totally counterproductive, totally kind of productive.
Speaker 3: If you believe as I do, that we need to have a big ten party that includes a bunch of candidates who are to the right of me personally and probably the right to a lot of Democrats and less of the show to be able to win in states like Montana, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Arkansas, right, if we need to be able to ever get to the place where you have a government majority, we're going to need a very big tent that has a bunch of people with views we don't agree with on all of them. Don't agree with all their views. If you believe that, you believe that we will if we just keep it nominating candidates too liberal for the states, that we will keep losing those states. What you need to do is you need to instead of telling voters that their choice is wrong or stupid, you have to give them another better choice. And so therefore you need a You need candidates. You need ideas that speak to the exact things that are fueling the rise of these DSA candidates livid anger at the establishment. I don't just mean Chuck Schumer, n A, Keim Jeffries. I mean the political, economic, cultural establishment of this country, of a political economic system that has let them down. You need candidate who can speak to with real ideas that mean something to people, talk to speak to their economic pain. Right, you need to be like you have to actually, what Third Way is trying to do here, which is just I think, is they are trying they are trying to treat the symptoms and not the cause. If you believe that this is a huge problem, they're going about the exact what they are going to do is, I think, have the exact opposite effect of what they want. I just just at a time in which, if you talk to anyone who's running grassries organizations right now, big donors to the Democratic Party are not giving to Democratic Party infstructure the way they had before. They are scared of Trump. They're pissed about twenty twenty four. They think their money was let on fire by super PACs who spend a billion dollars in ads, and so they are not funding the sort of groups to the level they were in Trump one point zero, like groups like Run for Something, Swing Left v to say of America, those sorts of groups. And so the fact that this one group is that come into fifteen million dollars going to spend it on this instead of the things we actually need to win races and build power in this country and a fight back against Trump, is just so infuriating.
Speaker 2: Also, there's a lot of other groups, and some of them are new, like more center left, modern groups whatever you want to call it, who've been working to like recruit and help and train some of the candidates who are frontline candidates who are you know, further to the right than most people in the audience. Right They're they're running all over the country right now, and there's some good there and like no problem with them, and some of them are really great exciting young candidates like do that. But third way, in particular, like over the last year, like eighty percent of the time I've heard them come up, it's when they've been yelling about fucking Hassan Piker and Zora Mumdani And it's just like, is that what you want to be known for? Like just yelling about Hassan fucking Piker all the time, Like that's what they like had their big splashy Wall Street Journal op ed about it, and then they yelled about it again and they're still yelling about It's just like enough, Just talk about what you're for, talk about your vision, talk about your policies, talk about some exciting candidates. Try to have that breakthrough. So we talked on Tuesday show about the abuse allegations against Ohio House Republican Max Miller, the former son in law of Senator Bernie Moreno. H somehow things have gotten even worse. Miller refused to drop out in an utterly bizarre interview with Jake Tapper, who opened the conversation by asking about an allegation that Senator Moreno had recently made which is that Miller had recently held his daughter's favorite blue Bunny stuffed animal hostage. Miller denied the allegation and told Moreno to please stop the lies. But Mother Jones's Abby Vasulis, who's covered the story in depth, reported on Thursday, then Miller's alleged withholding of the bunny was quote part of a pattern of behavior and not a single incident. And she goes through it's like a fucking year and a half of Max Miller trying to withhold this bunny from his daughter. It's like, it's it. I can't even believe I'm saying the words. It's like such a fucked up story. Here's a clip from Miller's interview with Jake on Tuesday, so you see what we're talking about.
Speaker 12: This is nothing more than an individual who's being politically vindictive and talking about a blue bunny. If any of these things were true, Jake, a judge would have taken our baby girl out of my hands. What you have is a very sadly politically motivated scenario to where you know, people want to see me go away.
Speaker 11: There is a police report from the suspected child abuse incident in February involving your daughter, and that report details that the child protection team says that your child had to write classical fracture and quote a bruise that accompanies the injury that appears to be in a handprint and appears to have been inflicted unquote. Now, your ex wife stated to police that your child told her in the days leading up to the discovery of the injury, quote daddy kill you. Can you explain why your child may have said those things?
Speaker 12: Jick, I wish you could talk to my beautiful baby girl. She can't string together sentences like that. She's two and a half years old.
Speaker 4: She doesn't have.
Speaker 12: The ability to articulate any of what you just said. That is an entire fabrication of the truth. I have actual video, actual documentation.
Speaker 11: Didn't you just tell me that to invest that she had said that she was scared to go to mommy's house?
Speaker 2: She knows and I have video of it.
Speaker 11: But now you're saying that she's not capable of saying daddy kill you. I mean, it seems like she's either because able to say one but not the other.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make sense, Jake, to.
Speaker 12: Be very direct, this is incredibly disturbing.
Speaker 2: My first thought when I when I first saw this, was like, this little girl is going to grow up and like this is going to be on the internet. This is like in the public. It's just I cannot believe that a father would like bring this into the public sphere to talk about in any way, shape or form, as opposed to just staying quiet, dropping out doing whatever it is is. It is evil.
Speaker 3: It is basically sociopathic. Yeah, I mean, I don't know if your boys had like a thing they had sleep with hat.
Speaker 2: I mean, we we have put a fucking air tag in bear Bear and I once, I once like drove to Charlie's school at night to try to locate it because he had forgotten it at school. If we, like, if we flew somewhere as a family and forgot bear Bear when we landed, Emily or I would be like have to get on a plane to go back to Los Angeles to get them to get the bear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack, who's five now, but he had he still sleeps with But it's kitty Cat, which is a kitty cat. And at once we were in a hotel and I didn't take it out of the bed before housekeeping came and they took all the sheets.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 3: And the efforts that we just we went to to try to be kitty Cat returned safe and sound. But just the idea, like.
Speaker 2: People who don't have kids, who are listening, like, I know you think we sound crazy, but like when you have kids, it is it is.
Speaker 3: It is like it's their whole world.
Speaker 2: It's just it is.
Speaker 3: There is the thing that gives them comfort. It's the thing they want when they sleep, it's the thing they want when they're upset, when they get hurt, they get that thing. And the idea that a parent would hold that hostage is a point of leverage over their estrange spouse is psychotic. It is someone like, it is soulless behavior. It's truly. The whole thing is the whole thing is horrifying. It's horrifying for this girl. Just the idea that this fucking asshole wants to be in Congress so much that he's putting his family through this, putting his daughter, his two and a half year old daughter through this is it's horrifying. It's fucking horrifying.
Speaker 2: Trump was asked again today Thursday in the Oval if he called on Miller to drop out again. He said, I'm not getting involved. Trump owns anything. Mike Johnson is like, oh, it'll go through the Ethics Committee. A bunch of Republican senators, to their credit, I guess because their colleagues with Bernie Marino, have all called on him to drop out and said that. You know, I just said Tim Shee from Montana be like, He's this is disgusting, Like what you doing. So you got a bunch of Republican senators calling to drop out, but like you're not seeing it in the House of course, or from Mike Johnson or from Donald Trump. And this guy is just gonna I mean, do you think he drops out? Do you think he do you think Democrats have a chance of beating him?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: I hope so Democrats very much have a chance of beating him. So this is the district that Trump won by eleven. He has until Monday to get off the ballot. If it happens after Monday, then the county chairs cannot replace him on the ballot. And so there was a poll. This hole is put up a Republican firm because the people who want to win the republic want their republics to keep the majority really won him off the race, but that poll had John Poindexter, the Democrat, winning by fourteen points. Last week they had Pointdexter up by five points, so and that eighty seven percent of people in the district were aware of their allows. So yes, I think if Miller stays in this Democrats, I think this would be most likely be a flip. And that's in a Trump eleven district.
Speaker 2: Good fuck him, But honestly, losing is not enough the guy, but Tommy said this on Tuesday, but he should be in jail. Miller isn't the only House Republican in trouble this week. North Carolina is Chuck Edwards, also in the House, has ended his re election campaign in a very competitive seat after the House Ethics Committee released a twenty five page report finding that he engaged in quote persistent, unprofessional and inappropriate conduct towards two young female staffers that includes quote lavish and recurrent gifts, making comments regarding the staffers appearance and dress, inviting them to intimate dinners and vacations, and sending notes regarding his effusive affection some examples. This has been reported by Axios some great original reporting there giving the staffers each a personalized handgun, one pink and one blue, telling one of the staffers in a goodbye note that she'd quote written a complex chapter in my heart and ending a staff for a custom jigsaw puzzle that, once solved, revealed an invitation to dinner and an Adam Sandler show. Edwards, who has been married since nineteen eighty, maintained that nothing inappropriate or sexual took place. What kind of what kind of message would you would you send in a in a custom puzzle?
Speaker 3: Damn, I've actually john you supressed. I thought about this for a long time.
Speaker 2: Do you wondered how I can.
Speaker 3: Deliver this message to you? And I figured I now realized that puzzle is the best way to do it, and this would be a puzzle. You'd put it together. What you would see is your phone. It's on your phone to the grass the Twitter app on the bottom. Party would say discretion is the better part of valor.
Speaker 2: I didn't even I didn't even know this was out there till till it happened.
Speaker 3: There's been a it's been a very busy week of Republican assholes doing terrible things, and so I'm not surprised the custom puzzle didn't hit your radar?
Speaker 2: Are we going to Is this a this is gonna be ademocratic pickup?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Yes? Actually this is is a swing seat. And there's a very strong Democratic candidate here. I think his name is Jimmie Aker. The Jennifer Palmery actually mentioned to me when I talked to her about long play. Oh nice, not exciting Democratic candidates.
Speaker 2: Okay, great well, Chuck Edwards, good riddance. All right, One more item to discuss Tucker twenty twenty eight. It has begun. On Saturday, newlywed Marjorie Taylor Green posted a photo with her husband and Thomas Massey, Joe Kent, the guy who had quit the Trump administration over Iran, the national security guy. They were all gathered around a table at Tucker Carlson's compound in Maine. MTG's caption said Trump betrayed his no more foreign Wars promise and that quote the movement has begun. Kent later told the Young Turks, as one does, that a third party was in the works and that they were trying to convince Tucker to run in twenty twenty eight, but so far he has said he won't. On Tuesday, Tucker reposted MTG's photo with the caption Maga was trade we all were, It's time for a new path forward. He then told people to tune into his Wednesday episode where he laid out his ten point vision for America. Sounds pretty, sounds pretty. I'm going to run in twenty twenty eight. What do you think though? Trial balloon, total bluff, something real.
Speaker 3: A weird time to announce this, but early next year, I have we be taking a leave of absence to work on ballot access for this group, because I think this is exactly what we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're talking about a unity ticket. They want they want like someone on the left. They want a left populace and a right popular.
Speaker 3: I think the left populace would be Well, here's.
Speaker 2: The thing, like when you look at did you I don't know, if you looked at Tucker's ten point vision.
Speaker 3: I did not know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's some of the stuff that we have, you know, played him saying and maybe even agreed with on you know, anti war, anti war in Iran, especially Epstein file stuff. But then there's the like you know, the low Then then then there's the sort of there's the Maha stuff in there. There's like low birth rate and then there's like no more immigrants. Well we will, we wait and figure out what's going on. So I just think that there's I think that you know, a lot of more moderate types, establishment types believe in horseshoe theory, and I think in some areas horseshoe theory is correct. But I think that some of the far rights views, particularly on immigration, are just going to be anathema to even the most left wing folks.
Speaker 3: And to be in all, I made a joke about aout access to explain why I would be doing that, just to be clear, Like there's been there's been a lot of talk of Tucker Carlson being a formidable presidential candidate because of his media skills, because he maybe because male was media skills. He that is, was always under the assumption he would be a the Republican nominee. Tucker Carlson a third party candidate is a gift to Democrats like you cannot imagine, because it's he's going here. There aren't a lot of potential John as Off, aoc Kamala Harris, Gavin Us, some Josh Shapiro voters who're voting for Tucker Crlson. But there are a lot of disillusion Trump twenty twenty four voters who might vote for Tucker Carlson. Yes, that's how you win. So that would be very good news, Like we should encourage this. This would be great. It is even if it's unlikely to come to fruition. Balt Axis is very very hard to get. It takes. None of these people seem like actual nuts and bolted doer types. It's kind of a bunch of idea guys. But it it does speak to how much the Maca coalition has truly fractured under trump second term, right because of Epstein, proparentally because of the war, that there are these incredibly prominent people with large audiences who have soured on Trump and it doesn't show up in the polling, because the polling as if there are maga voters and mega voters to voters meets Trump voters, and so once you stop being a Trump Republican, you stop telling posters you're a mega voter. So but it is like there's a real split here and Trump is losing control of the coalition that elected him, and that's good news for Democrats too.
Speaker 2: I found it interesting in relation to Vance, because when I took a look at Tucker's ten point vision for America, a lot of the policies and a lot of the things he was saying are our views that JD. Vance has espoused in some way over the last several years in post MAGA transformation. And I also found interesting the Washington Post story Thursday that reported Trumps a few weeks ago told a bunch of donors in the Oval office, which wild plays for donors, just sitting in the Oval office, he told them the quote, at the end of the day, we need to elect JD. So then, and the story also said that one advisor has told the Post that he settled on JD now and that a bunch of other advisors say no, no, no, he's still He's still working it out between j D and Rubio. And then he was just asked Thursday in the Oval about this story. He said, did you say that? Is that true about JD? And he said no, so he denied it. But I do think that JD. Vance is eyeing the Tucker movement here and is probably trying to mend fences, or at some point we'll try to mend fences with Tucker, to try to head this off, and you know JD. Vance is going to try to pull the like what Trump administration seemed like a real failure to me. And I was just being a good soldier and I was the vice president, so of course I wasn't going to speak up at the time. But everyone knew how I felt about the war and Iran. Everyone knew how I felt about the Epstein files. That was very clear, and all the stories. But what was I supposed to do? But here I am standing shouldered or shoulder with Tucker and MTG and all the rest of the game.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the problem for that idea, which is he still has to go to work in the same building at Donald Trump every day.
Speaker 2: What during the campaign? Yeah, yes, and maybe Trumps's unless he's locked out of the way at that point.
Speaker 3: And Trump has still will still have access to his truth social account and yeah, we'll still talk to portus every day. So think about how hard it was in her own mind for Kamala Harris to break with Joe Biden and all she was gonna have to do with was an awkward conversation in the Oval office. Trump will just trash him on true social and so yeah, like in his mind, he thinks he could run away from Trump, but I think that has much harder practically with the practical reality of a campaign as the sitting vice president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more likely is that Tucker moves to him and embraces him again and then he heads it off that way. But we'll see, all right when we come back. Dan's conversation with David Crowley Hodsa America's brought to you by Helix. We just got a bunch of Helix mattresses for Emily's parents has in may O, nice summer because they wanted to get some some new beds and new guest beds, and so we all slept in them when we were there, and boy are they comfortable, big fan. Yeah, better than those just better nails. You guys are sleeping, that's what we were.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like New England, New England cottage, right, And so it's basically just sleeping on a hard board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a board that year someone had in the eighteen hundreds, that's right.
Speaker 2: And it's basically like the size of the iPhone exactly. And now the Helix mattresses couldn't be more comfortable. And sleep is a thing you like. Sleep is the thing. Yeah, contimes, not as much as I should. I like I like it more than I get it, you know, yea. How do you know which mattress is right for you? Take the Helix Sleep Quiz and it will match you with the perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep needs. They have over twenty mattress models so you can find the perfect model for you. Helix delivers your mattress right to your door with free shipping in the US. The Happy with Helix Guarantee offers a risk free customer first experience designed to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress so you can rest easy with seamless returns and exchanges. Plus, Helix offers a one hundred and twenty night sleep trial and limited lifetime warranty. Go to he looks sleep dot com slash crooked for twenty eighty percent off site wide. That's Helix sleep dot com slash crookeet for twenty percent off sitewide helixsleep dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 3: Joining me now is Milwaukee County executive and Democratic candidate for Wisconsin Governor David Crewley. David, Welcome to the pod.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. Glad to be here.
Speaker 3: My co host John Favreau talked to your opponent, Francesca Hong earlier this week, and with early voting underway in the primary election only a few days away, it's a great to get an opportunity to talk to you both about where the election stands and the issues that matter to Wisconsin voters. This race, for a lot of folks out there in the country, and I think even for myself, is kind of flying under the radar until a couple of weeks ago when we had candidates dropping out, candidates getting back in, and now you know there's some intense focus here. But maybe for those who have not paid that much attention, can you explain you were in the race for a long time, you got out of the race, you got back in the race, Who explained the circumstances behind that, and where the race stands right now with a few days ago to the election.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, and I want people to bear with me. I've been traveling across the states. Some of voices a little cracky a little bit, but I made a decision. I make decisions based off of facts, based off of data, and so when I decided to suspend my campaign. It was based off of what we had in front of us, but as you can imagine, we've learned so much information.
Speaker 4: Information was changing consistently, and every.
Speaker 13: Day we ended up learning that the facts and the data that we were relying on was pretty much false. And so when the Lieutenant governor decided to end her campaign due to her campaign finance struggle struggles, we knew that we had to get back in this race, right, And I'll be honest with you, I didn't make this decision lightly.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: It's a very difficult decision to not only suspend your campaign, but to come back. And if it wasn't for a good push from my wife, my better three quarters Erica, as well as you know, the Lieutenant governor getting out, you know, we understood what was at stake, and so we needed to make sure for me that we have a great candidate that can ultimately defeat Tom Tiffany this upcoming November, which requires someone who has executive experience, who's been able to govern and actually build coalitions across this state.
Speaker 3: When Governor Tony Evers, who was supporting your candidacy, was asked that Francisco Honk could win, he said, probably not. Is that your assessment as well? Do you think that if she is a nominee, we Democrats cannot defeat Tom Tiffany, the Republican candidate November?
Speaker 13: Well, the governor has his right to his own opinion, but I will say this is the first time that I've seen the governor agree with the Republican Governors Association agree with turning point USA, because they're spending millions of dollars on her behalf to prop her up as the candidate. And as I travel across this state, you know, people are afraid of socialism in Wisconsin, and so they want somebody who's going to be pragmatic, who's going to get things done. And that's why I believe and truly understand why Governor Evers thought that I was the best candidate. You know, I've had the opportunity to work with him for a very long time, and he trusts my judgment, he trusts my leadership and my abilities.
Speaker 3: Is the main problem with her candidacy in your view, Honks? Is so sciation with the DSA or is it something else about our candidacy that makes her a particularly vulnerable Democrat against Tiffany?
Speaker 13: You know, When I think about this race, I don't look at myself as them as opponents. I'm not running against anybody, right, I'm running for the votes of Wisconsin ights across this state, and so I'm focused on what I've been able to deliver. I'm the only candidate that not only served you know, in the state legislature as a state representative, as a legislative staffer, so I know exactly how our state capital works. But I've been leading the largest community, largest county in the state of Wisconsin, representing nineteen different cities and villages.
Speaker 4: Close to a million people.
Speaker 13: And I know that folks want somebody who's not just going to talk about a vision as far as what we need to do in the future, but they want to know who's going to deliver. And I think at the end of the day, the foundation of this campaign is who's going to be able to get things done?
Speaker 4: And I'm the only candidate in this race to do.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about some issues were there differences between you and Hung. I want to start with data centers. You do not support a moratorim on data center, although you have for posed some guardrails that you think should be put in place. A recent Marquette University poll showed that eighty eight percent of Democrats had concerns about data centers three quarters of all Wisconsin voters. Talk to me about why you oppose what seems to be a very popular idea in a data center moratorium.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that people hear more toorium.
Speaker 13: They think we're going to stop what's already being built, and we can't do that, right, And so for me, a moretorium is short term thinking but doesn't address the long term concerns that Wisconsin Knights have about these data centers.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: I do believe that data centers should have to pay their way, pay for their utility usage, pay for energy and grid upgrades. And I actually call it the Beyonce approach. Now you may be wondering, what does beyonce hi idea?
Speaker 3: You got me there, But it's an.
Speaker 13: Acronym bring your own new clean energy, right, And so they need to be building, you know, solar, they need to be building when they need to be building data stores. So what's not being you know, passed on to the cost of the consumers here in the States. You know, our clean air and water doesn't stop at Wisconsin. So we need to make sure that we have the guardrails, particularly for what's already in place, especially with the fact that not only she served in the State Assembly and she's currently there, and they left session without actually protecting our community.
Speaker 4: And I think that's what we should.
Speaker 13: Be focusing on versus allowing it to be a political football that stills being kicked down the road when the next governor is sworn in in January of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: While there is obviously a tremendous popular support for a moratorium or stopping data centers or however you want to think about it, there are elements of the Democratic Coalition who think there are some benefits. They're particularly building trade unions. Do you think there are potential economic benefits for communities for data centers to be built if the guardrails that you put in place, your Beyonce approach, if you will, is put in place.
Speaker 4: I do think that.
Speaker 13: We should be looking at how we can extract as much from these data centers versus data centers extracting from our natural resources and our people. And so when I think about the construction of data centers, we need to make sure onealizing union, labor we need prevailing wages, We need community benefit agreements, and not just in the communities that data centers are in, but for the entire state of Wisconsin, because we're all going to be affected in some type of capacity, and so we could leverage these data centers for our local municipalities, government, our farmers, our legacy industries, our small businesses, our public schools. We should be looking at those opportunities moving forward, because they're already here.
Speaker 3: Another issue is school vouchers. Hong has called for the elimination of Wisconsin's school voucher program has been in place for decades now. My understanding is that you are not for eliminating it, but you're also not for expanding it. Talk a little b outbout your position on school vouchres.
Speaker 13: Well, when it comes down to our public schools, I'm a public school graduate.
Speaker 4: I want to be very clear about that.
Speaker 13: I have three daughters and all of them go to market public schools. One just graduated from public schools, and we'll be attending one of our university system public university system schools this year. And so when it comes down to voutures, when people say we're just going to get rid of them, I don't think they're being honest about the situation or really realistic. I mean, one, this is going to up end not just you know, these children's learning, but also families. But what will this do actually to the public school system in the city of Milwaukee. We have about sixty to seventy thousand students total. Half of those kids are actually in the voucher program. And so if you were to eliminate the voucher program, and we just did a two hundred and fifty million dollar referendum to make sure that we have enough students, I mean enough resources for those students.
Speaker 4: How are we going to send thirty thousand of those students to the public schools.
Speaker 13: They don't have the buildings, they don't have to teach the teachers, they don't have the support systems. And so we have to focus on how do we rebuild our schools to where they become the school of choice. But we have to hold vultures accountable. They have to be transparent, and they need to be held to the same standards of our public schools. And so just to say that we're going to end this is not really being realistic or honest with the public.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you. Okay.
Speaker 3: Another issue in this seems like a high class problem for the people of Wisconsin is there's a big debate about what to do with the two point five billion dollars for plus. Yeah, and there was a deal that was struck between the Republicans and Governor Evers that ultimately died in the Senate, but involved using that money and tax rebate checks to wisconsinights and some money for special education. I think you were the one candidate in the gubernatorial race who said they would have signed that deal. Can you talk to me about why why you think that would have been a good deal.
Speaker 13: Well, I would have signed that deal because that means, Dan it would have been bipartisan. That means that Republicans and Democrats would have actually voted for it to actually get to my desk for me to sign. The reason why the governor didn't sign it is because it didn't pass. And I hope it didn't pass because this is what different districts wanted versus us playing politics. You know, there are a lot of people who are desperate the look looking for someone that helped them provide them relief. When it comes down to property taxes, childcare, How do they afford their premiums when it comes to the healthcare, afford the groceries on their table? And so we know that our community is desperate and we need to provide some type of relief. And so yes, I would have signed that if it would have passed, because that means that we would have gotten a bipartisan deal. And when you think about divided government, I know what it's like to have to lead and make sure that we're taking care of everybody in this state. I didn't agree with everything in that bill. There are things in that bill that I absolutely like, but it's about how do we make the biggest positive impact in people's lives at this moment, especially when they're being under attacked by this federal government.
Speaker 3: Recognizing that that was the deal that was on the table, That was the bipartisan deal that compromises necessary in divided government in an ideal world, what would you do with that surplus if you could just wave a wand make a decision as potentially future governor David Crowley.
Speaker 4: Oh man, if I could wave a wand I'll be the govern right, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with how many wines on the show, Unfortunately.
Speaker 13: I mean for me when you want you want to provide relief, and we want to make sure that we're taking care of our young people.
Speaker 4: So I think about, you know, our property taxes.
Speaker 13: By making sure that we're investing in public education, that will help naturally ease the property tax pressures that property tax payers are facing each and every single day because we've had to go to referendum to make up the support from the state that we have lost over the few decades. It's about making sure that we can invest in childcare. Right there are a lot of people who are making decisions whether or not they're going to go to work or if they're going to stay at home because it's not affordable nor is it accessible. And we know that the next governor has to be ready on day one because there's going to be a lot of holes to feel due to the federal government making good decision to have cuts across the board for each community across this country. And so when it comes down to healthcare, we have to make sure that we're taking care of our most vulnerable populations, and especially in our rural communities as well, because we've seen clinics as well as hospitals closing.
Speaker 4: But this is about.
Speaker 13: You know, when I think about this surplus, you know, I always want to bring more people to the table. I was told that if you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu. And you think about our young people, they feel like they've been on the menu. Our older adults are farmers, you know, are teachers. They've all been on the menu because nobody is actually listening to them and allowing them to lend their voices to the solutions. And that's how we're going to move forward in order to create the sustainability that we need across Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: All across the country, particularly in democratic primaries, there's been this this anti establishment further right established candidates co associated with the establishment have lost. I know you have strongly rejected the label of establishment candidate in this race, but I think it is fair to say that you have the support of the city and governor, you're the support of congresswomen. When more, I think to some people it felt like your return to the race was the product of the establishment coming together to defeat Francesco Long you got back in evers endorseshoe moments later. Maybe you can talk to me a little bit about how you feel about potentially having that label, why that label doesn't fit you, and how you plan to be a voice of change in an election where people are very much looking for something different than what they have.
Speaker 13: Well, you know, I like how people throw the establishment thing out there. I was not endorsed by a you know, a congressional member until I got back into this race, or you know us senator right.
Speaker 4: I wasn't endorsed by any of these things. And for me, the.
Speaker 13: Frustration is because you know, I've worked my entire life, you know, not to be labeled, not to be placed in a box. You know, my parents were great, loving parents. My father was a master electrician mine my mother was a jane of all trades that I lost a couple of years ago, and they taught me the value of hard work, to be resilient and to get back up, you know, when someone knocks you down. But they also suffered from drug addiction to mental health. I was evicted three times before I graduated high school. For at least fifteen years of my life, I moved every single year, and I've worked extremely hard to be where I am, And so it does get a little frustrated because I didn't get in this race to protect the establishment. I got into this race to protect the people, to let folks know that they deserve to have a seat at the table. And then I'm willing to come and have the tough conversations to make sure that we're following our state's model and moving Wisconsin forward.
Speaker 3: So we're a few days before the election. The polls have shown Hog with a sizable lead. Now, the polls were not particularly accurated in Michigan. The other day, your campaign put out a memo suggesting the races closer than that. Where you Where do things stand right now? What's your path to victory between now and Tuesday?
Speaker 13: Our path to victory is making sure that we're talking to as many voters as possible.
Speaker 4: And when you look at all of the.
Speaker 13: Past polls that we have seen, who's been leading in this race has been undecided voters, and we know that we can consolidate many of these undecided voters. When folks understand that I have the endorsement of not just only Governor Tony Evers, congresswomen win more, but the different amount of labor unions that we have, they're starting to understand that there is a path for it. And you know what we've learned, particularly from Michigan, is that no one thought that we'll be staying up until Wednesday morning to figure out who lost this race. The polls were wildly off, and so this race is much closer than many people may think. But just because I have the support of the sitting governor and so many other great groups and progressive leaders across this state doesn't mean it's going to be a walk in the park. I'm going to work extremely hard traveling across this state to earn every single vote. Over this weekend, we were in ryan Lander, Hudson Superior Bayfield, and We're seeing hundreds of people come out as we're doing our rallies, and so I'm energized, I'm fired up, I'm ready to go, and I'm going to continue to do everything I need to do for the next five days to win this race.
Speaker 3: That seems like a great place to end it. David, thanks so much for joining us. Good luck in the final stretch.
Speaker 4: Here, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: That's our show for today. Thanks to David for coming on. Alex will be back on the feed on Sunday with a conversation with ms now's Chris Hayes, have a good weekend. Everyone. Pozive America is a Crooked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Ree Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East