Speaker 1: Hi, It's me Dan Zupansky, host of True Murder. I want to tell you about the hit podcast Cold. This season, the host Dave Cowley investigates the disappearance of Sherry Warren, a young mother looking for a fresh start. Recently divorced, she had moved back in with her family, found a great new job and even a new boyfriend. Her life was turning around and she was happy for the first time in a long time. But on a crisp October evening after work, Sherry said goodbye to her co workers, left the office and was never heard from again. All eyes quickly turned towards her ex husband. He had a history of violence and had previously lured another woman into the woods and beat her with a tyrarn. But there was also another man that piqued the interest of investigators, Sherry's new boyfriend, a former reserve police officer who also had a dark history of sexual violence. The two men closest to Sherry swore they loved her and promised to protect her, but did one of them murder her. I'm about to play you a clip from the show. While you're listening, make sure to follow the Amazon Music exclusive podcast Cold in the Amazon Music App Download the app.
Speaker 2: Today rain drizzled over the canyon of the South Fork of the Ogden River. It pattered on the canvas top of Heidi Posnin's jeep as she drove up Utah State Highway thirty nine on the morning of Friday, June fourth, nineteen seventy one. She was on her way to meet the strange man who had for weeks been calling her demanding they go on a date. I can't see it, but I'm doing air quotes. She turned right off the highway at the entrance to the Meadows Campground, crossed a short bridge over the river, barely more than a creek, really, and stopped next to a camper trailer on the far side. A pair of Sheriff's deputies dressed as fishermen stepped out to greet her.
Speaker 3: And I said what should I do? And he said, well, just pull across the street and then leaves the jeep. Part likes the sideways, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: As Heidi's describing this to me decades later, she's using her hands to show the positions of her jeep and the trailer. How the deputies told her to park next to them, but to reverse out after the caller arrived and passed by her position to block him from getting back across the bridge to the road. She was the cheese on the mouse trap, and.
Speaker 3: They said make sure when he comes up, identify, make sure that he's the right person.
Speaker 2: Two miles down the canyon, back in the direction of Huntsville, her husband, John Posneen, waited at another campground called Magpie. The sheriff was with him, along with the deputy Halver Bailey. They all watched the highway as the clock ticked toward the time for Heidie's date to arrive. A little after ten am, a red and white half ton pickup truck passed Magpie. Going up the canyon toward Meadows. John Posny saw a logo printed on the truck's door.
Speaker 3: And a dummy. He was driving his dad's business. Truck, said Hartman Plumbing, and when they drove passed Magpie, John sith he immediately knew who it was.
Speaker 2: Hartman Plumbing and Heating belonged to a man named Bill Hartman. John knew Bill. They had golfed together at the Ogden Golf and Country Club. Bill was also a fellow member of the Weber Club. The caller had told Heidi he had seen her at the Weaber club. It clicked for John. He recognized the man at the wheel of the pickup as Bill Hartman's oldest son, Carrie Hartman. The sheriff tried to radio the two undercover deputies who were with Heidi at Meadows to let them know the caller would soon reach them, but the radio didn't work in the narrow canyon. Heidi had no idea who the young man in the pickup truck was when he turned off the highway, drove across the bridge and stopped next to her.
Speaker 3: Jee No, because I never paid any attention to him before. I didn't notice him.
Speaker 2: Before the young man rolled down his window. Heidi saw he had brown hair, green eyes, and appeared clean cut, like a cop or military man. Kind of forgettable.
Speaker 3: It is high, I can't remember exactly. And then I said, why would you pick on an old lady like me? And he made some remark that I was a sexier pretty or something. You know, you're not an old lady at this point though, No, gosh, no, but I was way older than he was. I already had kids, you know, teenagers, So yeah, I was an old.
Speaker 2: Lady Carry Hartman was twenty two to Heidie's thirty six, and he.
Speaker 3: Kept looking at that trailer, and he was getting a little nervous, and he said, I'm gonna just pull up there. Why don't you follow me up there by?
Speaker 2: Up there, Carrie went farther into the campground behind a line of trees out of side of the road. He drove past her up around a bend. Heidi put her jeep in reverse, pulled out and blocked the narrow road just as the deputies had instructed. She then leaped from the jeep and rushed into the safety of their trailer. The deputies told her to stay put, then went to stand next to the jeep. Heidi poured herself a cup of coffee. With shaking hands, she listened for the sound of the pickup. It returned after a few minutes. Heidi peeked out the window as the deputies pulled Carry out of the truck and placed him under arrest. They frisked him, finding a small knife in his pocket. Then they tried to call their backup down at the Magpie campground, only to discover their radios didn't work in the canyon either, so the deputies piled into Kerry's truck and drove it and him down the canyon to meet with the sheriff.
Speaker 3: I stayed awhile because I was all nervous. I guess whatever. I'd had my coffee, and then I got in the cheap and I drove down and they were already gone.
Speaker 2: So only later did Heidi learn from her husband John what had happened. When Carrie had arrived in handcuffs at Magpie, John, she told me, had turned to the sheriff.
Speaker 3: He says, boy, you'd like to smack him in the mouse, And he says, well, look the other way. So they had him already out, and John touched him and he was embarrassed. He looked down and he says, I wish you had a gun and shoot me. Really yeah, he said that because he was embarrassed. He was ashamed.
Speaker 2: John Posneen had punched Carry Hartman in the face while the sheriff and his deputies looked the other way. Needless to say, this wasn't legal. The deputies had then taken Carry to the Weaver County Jail in Ogden, where they'd booked him on suspicion of making threatening phone calls. A minor misdemeanor charge didn't quite match the gravity of the whole situation. Carrie provided a handwritten statement admitting to what had happened. I called the lady and said, would you meet me at a time and place. If not, some harm would come to your husband's car and possibly him. That's not Carrie's voice, but they are his words read by a voice actor. Even today, Heidi downplays this seriousness of what happened well.
Speaker 3: Because he really hadn't done anything other than met me.
Speaker 2: But I'm here to tell you there was something much more ominous behind those phone calls, something that makes Heidie's mouth go dry and her hands fidget when she really stops to think about it. This season isn't about Heidie Posny, as I said earlier, It's about the disappearance of Shuri Warren. But there's a reason we're starting with Heidi instead of Shari. It's because Carrie Hartman, the man who tried to lure Heidi up that canyon, would years later meet, befriend, and woo Shari Warren. So now we're going to follow Carrie's path to see how he and Shari first came together. Hold on, because from here everything escalates. Our story begins with a phone call.
Speaker 3: Boys on the phone seit I was sexy. He had made literally thousands of those types of calls.
Speaker 2: He follows the women, gets to know him and then hit them. Then don't recording your body that I found everything.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of missing girls.
Speaker 2: Escalates.
Speaker 3: She was beaten, stabbed until the knife broke, and shot twice in the head.
Speaker 2: Shari Warren disappeared in the fall of nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 3: Her friends and family say she's not the type to just run away. She wouldn't leave for child.
Speaker 2: No one can say just what happened to Shari. No one's faced charges for her disappearance, not her ex husband, Chuck Warren.
Speaker 3: Money was a big issue in Chuck. He told her, if I can't have you, nobody's going to. I'm not.
Speaker 2: Shuri's boyfriend Carrie Hartman be careful with him.
Speaker 3: He had two dispositions, Doctor Jekyll mister Hyde.
Speaker 2: He could be the nicest guy you ever wanted me, but he also had that sinister side.
Speaker 1: Hey Prime members, listen to the Amazon Music exclusive podcast Cold in the Amazon Music app. Download the app today.