Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Neil Savadra in for Gary and Shannon. Today.
Speaker 3: Marla was supposed to be with me marlateas Fox eleven's TVs Marla Teas.
Speaker 2: But she's under the weather today. She's not feeling well.
Speaker 3: So although I went ahead and texted her and said, hey, I want you to feel better, I do want to make some scientific point to you. Yesterday we were talking about that new study. It's actually a study that's been replicated multiple times about how endurance runners and endurance athletes have higher cases of calcium in their main arteries. And we talked about that a little bit yesterday. Now, I am not a scientist. That is not my job. However, I will tell you fat guy in the studio today, skinny runner at home sick. Moving on to more science, COVID maps. I love this. I don't know what it is with COVID and the color schemes. You remember we had all those color charts, but they never had green on them because Captain Hansome, our governor, said well, because we're never basically never going to be in the green sot out all these different color charts. We had to remember as to what place we were in. Well, now I'm staring out a newsweek dot com a map of these United States, and there's like a deep red, there's a bright red, there's white. There's a golden bar. Sorry I used to work in the printing industry, a gold color like golden rod or something like that, and it's very colorful. With the headline COVID map update shows states with very high viral activity in wastewater. So what does that mean. Well, the current way that they are testing how this virus moves is in our movements. They go through the wastewater and they look for viral content and they are finding this surge in wastewater that has very high levels. And this is in the vast majority of the states. This is the CDC looking at this and saying this is their concern. Not only is it up from July. It was just in seven states or so in mid July. Now it's up in August. They fear that this past weekend everybody was up and around. Did you see everything? My wife and my son while I was on the area yesterday went to the roller rink. Yeah, that's still a thing, and said it was packed. The beaches have been packed, and the fear is there's going to be another burst of the covids. However, going through the numbers and poking around a little bit, as far as the steady rise and infections is seen in the waste water, that still the hospitalizations have remained relatively low. So all these different standards or you know, makeshift rules that we went through in the past four plus years, roughly four years, I guess are they keep changing like the goalposts were? I mean, why are they telling us that it's in the poop if it's not in the hospitals. Do you remember flat in the curve? May we take a little wayback machine when it was about flattening the curve and the problem then was about the strain on the hospitals. So if people are not dying in the same numbers, and we have the vaccine and yes I've taken the vaccine multiple times, as has my wife and as has my son, that we have all these things now and we're still getting maps and colorful things and all of this, yet we're not seeing the surge or the problems. My sister was the first one in the Caneo Valley to be hospitalized for it.
Speaker 2: She was secluded.
Speaker 3: And basically people in hazmat suits, nurses god bless them, and has matt suits had to take care of her.
Speaker 2: With very very very rare exceptions.
Speaker 3: And I could be seen as that I have, you know, multiple comorbidities, which is worse than like calling me morbidly obese. There's something about comorbidity that's like, oh, all right, fatty, You've got multiple reasons to fear this thing. So I've got, you know, repressed or suppressed immune system. It might be repressed as well, suppressed immune system, all of these things, and and still I can go out and live. I've not gotten it yet, nor has my wife that we are aware of. If we did, it would have been prior to the outbreak. It would have been in November of twenty nineteen. That's the most sick I have been in a long time, and it was right before my surgery to get my kidney transplant.
Speaker 2: I just think, is it real absence? Can it be problematic? Yeah?
Speaker 3: To some most definitely fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, gloss of taste or smell, sore throat running. That's basically the list you have as a parent when you wake up, nausea or vomiting, Yeah, sometimes diarrhea. Well, you know, I like spicy food. So we still get these things. And it's not that it's not important for us to know, but we we don't.
Speaker 2: Have a.
Speaker 3: There's not a goal or an enemy anymore. There's not a face of an enemy. There's no one.
Speaker 2: It's like this. This just kind of.
Speaker 3: Blob that it's there. It's not flattening the curve. It's not be careful of this, be careful of that. We're told that masks don't really do anything, mostly because of you user error, by the way, and all.
Speaker 2: Of these things.
Speaker 3: And yet we're still concerned about it, even though the CDC he says hospitalizations have remained relatively low. And if that's not the concern, and people aren't dying in the same way young people certainly are not, then what is our concern with that?
Speaker 4: Are they saying now that it's kind of become like the flu in that it's seasonal and that we should start getting just planned to get regularly vaccinated for it. Like, yeah, adding it to the flu, the RSV, the COVID vaccine, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: Heather Brooker, you are right.
Speaker 3: Did you get a story today with a color frol map about the flu?
Speaker 4: I didn't, But you know, I interviewed an epidemiologist this morning on wake up Call, and she talked about kind of talk about ahead of the curve.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: He talked about how this new variant that's out there is pretty serious and can can cause more harm if you don't get vaccinated, like if you get COVID, the damage it can do and risk or whatever will outweigh just anything with the COVID shots. So he said that this new vaccine will be out any day now, really, and that everybody should plan to get it, and they should plan to get it sometime in September October pretty much every year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and there's the long COVID and there's a lot of haziness. I've talked to people who said they never quite fully recovered or felt like themselves. Again, there's definitely stuff to it, but I think we're in that stage where get vaccinated, you know, take care of yourself, and it's going to be around forever.
Speaker 2: It is like luggage. It is not going away anytime soon. So that is that, all right?
Speaker 3: Five shot too critically or too in critical condition in New York City. There was a parade yesterday, a big parade and one that has been rife with warnings for many, many years. And we'll find out more about that as we talk to Derek Dennis from ABC News.
Speaker 2: So go nowhere. Nils Savedra in for Gary and Shannon this morning.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Neil Savedra KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It is the Gary and Shannon Show. Gary and Shannon are on vacation. Apparently Shannon doesn't do well with vacations and has to liften listen.
Speaker 2: I'm flattered. It'll be funny. I will dance for you, dance for me.
Speaker 3: Monkey Marlatteez was supposed to be in today, but she's not feeling well, so I'm nursing the end of a cold. She's out and we're going to be in the remainder of the week. For Gary and Shannon, well, they vacate and do their vacating, all right, let's bring Derek Dennis on from ABC News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the program, Derek, I'm healthy. Good.
Speaker 3: Well, then get your ass in here, sir, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, listen. I'm here to talk about terrible shooting at the New York Carnival Caribbean Parade, known here as the West Indian Day Parade, was yesterday. In the middle of the parade, there was a shooting. Five people shot by a single gunman, and authorities just updated us saying that they believe the shooting was not only targeted, but gang related. But still the victims appear to have all been innocent bystanders. They are celebrating the parade. And one thing to note, the parade went on as planned.
Speaker 3: Many people didn't even notice right something take place.
Speaker 5: It was so loud, so many people, so much going on, that a lot of the parade goers had no idea there was a shooting along the route.
Speaker 3: This is a parade that happens every year, same time in New York City's Caribbean community, and very colorful right into so let you know those who have never seen it or heard of it. It is packed, It is incredibly celebratory. It is, like you said, loud and all these things and the four other victims other than the twenty five year old who man who was shot in the abdomen and dies, right, yeah, so other than that, there were four other victims, and these ages show you the diversity and the type of people that are going to this event. You've got a sixteen year old boy since my nine year old woman. They're in stable condition, correct.
Speaker 5: Right, the sixty nine year olds who shot in the shoulder, the sixteen year old shot in the left arm. A thirty six year old man though was shot in the head, so he's you know, his injuries are serious. And then there was a sixty four year old man shot in the arm. So listen, you know, authorys really want to catch the suspect. They're holding news conferences, they're asking the public if anybody's got any cell phone video to please come forward. They believe that they may have someone, or at least a description that will lead them to make an arrest of the suspect, and so they're working hard on that, tracking down every lead. They really want to catch this person because look, if they can open fire in the middle of a crowded parade, what else can they do? And that's what the concern is Derek going over.
Speaker 3: Some you know, past stories about this event. Some have said that they've heard, you know, there's been violence before. They even last year they said they heard gunfire. It has been noted in the news that they were on high alert already. I even see photographs of security and the NYPD holding you know, the magnetometers, the metal detectors handheld as people are coming in and out. They had heightened security for this year knowing that there could be the possibility of problems. Were they anticipating something dealing with gangs or general just because there were you know, large amounts of humanity in one place.
Speaker 5: Well large amounts. But there have been shootings and other incidents in the past at this very parade. In fact, in twenty fifteen, an aid to then mayor build a Blasio of New York City was shot and later died as a result of being shot during the parade. So there's some history here with this event. Be for it to happen just yesterday and for the guvernment to still be on the run has got everyone really concerned.
Speaker 3: And any leads are they not? You know mums the word with the New York Police Department.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean other than a good description. You know, they're tracking down a bunch of leads, but they don't have any that they really want to go full on public with yet. They are asking, though, as I mentioned, for cell phone video to try to piece it all together. And you know, everybody's got a cell phone in their hand, everybody's got a camera, and there are street cameras as well, so it won't be long before they, you know, seem to get at least a handle on who they're looking for.
Speaker 3: But they're confident in their statement they being the NYPD, that it is gang related, that it was targeted. I'm guessing that's based on the twenty five year old who.
Speaker 2: Was shot, right.
Speaker 5: You know, they haven't gone very deep into how they know it was gang related. They haven't gone into you know, a lot of their what they've gathered so far in terms of questioning and evidence and those types of things. But they did come out pretty forcefully today saying the shooting was gang related, after saying yesterday that it was definitely targeted. So they've got some information that they're going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just look over at this and I figure sixteen year old boy maybe, but sixty nine year old woman probably not the target. Twenty five year old man probably hits that nose right on the nose rather all right, well, I appreciate you taking the time a sad story, indeed during a what should have been just a great celebratory event about you know, the emancipation from enslavement and the parade, the annual parade that celebrates that.
Speaker 2: And it's a real shame.
Speaker 3: Derek Dennis of ABC News with Us this morning, Thanks so much, Derek.
Speaker 2: Sure than all right, stick around. There is much more to come.
Speaker 3: Net and Yahoo is getting a major pressure there over the Gaza and over Gaza and hostages, the latest six that were dead, you know, and it's a really weird tight rope to walk, because that's I'd piss you off all the more about hamas at AnyWho and then young people taking over the workplace a good thing, bad thing. Well, bosses may not be thrilled. I will tell you why it is. Neil Savandra in for Gary and Shannon today.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 3: If you aren't hanging out with me on social media, I invite you to do so. At Fork Reporter at Fork Reporter on all the biggies, and I'm probably on Instagram the most.
Speaker 2: I will tell you.
Speaker 3: I posted an image of a breakfast meal earlier today. You could find it on my Instagram at fork Reporter, and it's one of my favorites. I don't know if I got it from my mom or from my dad or from a brother or sister or something, but I love it. And the responses are like, are funny because people are saying, oh, like core memory unlocked.
Speaker 2: So you can check that out at Folk Reporter.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: On too crappy news.
Speaker 3: The discovery of six more dead hostages in the battle that continues to rage in Gaza with Israel is heartbreaking period.
Speaker 2: War sucks.
Speaker 3: People being killed sucks, Muslims being killed sucks. Israeli's being killed sucks. War sucks. I think you know where I stand on all of that. It sucks, but you and I will never have to feel, hopefully, will never have to be in the position of making the decisions that go with.
Speaker 2: War.
Speaker 3: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin net Yahoo, however, is in a different position and he is pushing back. There is lots of pressure pushing against him. This is because of those most recent hostages that were discovered. He is now pushing back in an intense way and saying do not and you cannot preach to me on this issue. He says, no one is more committed to freeing the hostages than me. No one will preach to me on this issue. Now, I will tell you from my observation, Benjamin Netanyahoo is a strict, brick fortified, lacking nuanced individual. He has one core purpose and one core purpose only, and that is to eliminate Hamas.
Speaker 2: Will he be able to do it. No.
Speaker 3: It is the equivalent in that region the world of saying I want to eliminate crime. There will always be new criminals. If you wiped out one game, there will be another game. You know why because on the other side, there is an equal amount of individuals that are a brick fortified, unyielding and lacking nuance when it comes to their focus, which is to eliminate not only the Jews, but Christians and other belief systems and gays and to control women in all of these things. Not a good group of humans. Now, does that mean that Muslims are that way? No, absolutely not. I've always said that when people say Muslim terrorists or Islamic terrorists, that they put the emphasis on the wrong thing. They put the emphasis on the Islam part and not the terrorist part. Islam fine, terrorism bad. And in this particular case, you've got one major sticking point with Netanyahu that he feels is the choke point. He feels is the breath, the oxygen producer of Hamas in Gaza, and that is the Philadelphi Corridor. That's this tiny, little narrow band. I know it's already small, but this narrow band along Gaza's border, this border is with Egypt, and Israel's belief is that Hamas smuggles weapons into Gaza from this location. Egypt denies it, and Hamas denies it. Now Hamas, who gives a rodents behind whether they deny anything, because they're pieces of crap and they don't care.
Speaker 2: But this is it.
Speaker 3: Net Nyaho called this corridor vital, that it is the location that re arms Hamas, and that this is the thing that he doesn't want to give up. These hostages were not killed because net Nyaho is negotiating poorly. In my view, these hostages were killed because there is a group of very dark and ugly people running Gaza, and they are a terrorist group by the name of Hamas.
Speaker 2: And I get.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 3: When you're in your home heaven Forbid, and someone breaks in and says, I want your money. You give them your money because you want them to leave your home and leave your family intact, I get those instincts. I'm on the street heaven forbid with my family, someone goes to mug us. I give them what they want, so my family is good. But if somebody comes into my house or mugs me on the street and says, give me everything, including your life, because my goal is for you to be dead, I have nothing to give them, and only everything in my heart and in my head to destroy them, because until they are destroyed, I will not be able to live. And that doesn't mean that I agree with the way this is being done. It's horrific, but man put it in a little bit of context about the ugliness of the situation. And it's not just give them the money, because more than six will die, and more than one hundred will die, and then more than a thousand will die, and over and over and over again. And Hamas and people like them will only be happy when all are gone. That is more than giving up your watch, your wallet and your credit cards. Neil, Savandra Infegary and Shannon today. Oh let's let's shift gears into something a little lighter. Huh, young people, boy, huh, they're the problem.
Speaker 2: Am I right? I'll explain. Well, come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, it is Neil savedra In for Gary and Shannon. Today. We're on vacation.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to be with our buddy Marlateez from Fox eleven. She is now under the way and taking the day to rest. I hope she's back tomorrow, but we don't know, but love that lady. We had a good time yesterday and they hope that she ends up feeling beta a lot to get to. Coming up in a little bit, we'll talk to our very own Blake Trolley about an intruder stab demand in Long Beach.
Speaker 2: You know, more horrible stories.
Speaker 3: The power cut off geese in Rancho Palace verities. We talked a little bit about that yesterday. Of course, the ground is sliding at ten to twelve inches a week, pretty major when you're an inch and change. What a little about one point five one point seven inches a day. That's pretty crazy. So there's a lot going on. And Swap Watch coming up, and then Tasy Tuesday, who's coming into oh with Neil Savedra from the Forek Report.
Speaker 2: That should be fun.
Speaker 3: I like that guy. Seems like a friendly fella. All right, So young people taking over the workplace. That makes it sound like it's a swarm of locusts, but it's not. What it means is gen Z workers are going to outnumber at least that's what the numbers look like baby boomers in the US workforce this year. Okay, what's the problem. Well, unfortunately, bosses don't get them. They don't understand them. Now, many of you know, I've been here at KFI for a long time and I've worn just about every single hat. And my last hat was assistant program director, so I was in management. I have stepped away from management at this point.
Speaker 2: WHOOA look at me. I'm free, not really, sort of. But this is a thing.
Speaker 3: As you get an influx of different culture that comes with different generations, you have to adapt. You can't just strong armed people to do it the way that they've always done it. Now I have some pretty complex theories, not that they're complex, but they're hard to explain over the air without visuals. But I will say this, there has been generations that every generation overlaps, so imagine they're not a baton per se, but you're kind of running alongside, and then you pass it over to the next generation. There is usually a continuing theme, and that is similarity in schooling, similarity in home life. They're fairly similar in the different generations. Now, one generation might have gone through the Great Depression, and that may make them a little more savvy when it comes to saving money or a little more frugal.
Speaker 2: If you will.
Speaker 3: So those things happen that modify light things, but normally the basic experience is very similar. My belief is that with the digital age and starting with millennials with different different systems in place, that we're all together separating the generation before that there is going to be that so called generation gap, but in a different way. My son at seven will know way more about digital technology than I ever did because it didn't exist when I was seven, and also that will be a part of his upbringing. So we are separate, and it's not just lingo. It's not going so you groovy kids, so you making them widgets. I think I'm gonna go have a Glizzy for lunch. No gap, am I right? So it's not about the language. It's these companies finding that these younger employees are difficult to work with. You know, Executives are trying to gauge them more, find out what makes them tick. They're arranging mentorships for employees, you know, workforce that have been working remotely during the pandemic. Bringing them is there's all this this.
Speaker 2: Shift to go.
Speaker 3: How do we engage them because it's not like you can just start bringing people who have retired back. You know, the people are younger. People are really big on communicating, you know, wanting to share what their thoughts are and why they asked questions that we were brought up not asking how much do you make? How much have you paid for your house? All kinds of things. They're looking at new perks companies. Businesses are saying, okay, on site therapists very popular because at some point we thought it was more important to teach people about their feelings than reading, writing and arithmetic. But now on site therapy and all of that, which is, you know, I thank you very much. My wife is a therapist and has her own private practice, and so keep let's all keep being focused.
Speaker 2: On our mental health. Pays the bills. So this is going to be something different.
Speaker 3: And I would love to say, hey, we're just gonna, you know, force everybody into doing it the way that they always have or we always have, but no one has directed them how to be who to be.
Speaker 2: There is no there is.
Speaker 3: It's not the latch key syndrome that might have been with us exers.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It's almost the it's almost the exact opposite. We were kind of forced into learning the ways of life a little bit. Where this generation is just different and their emotions are I mean, they deal with stuff that we never had to deal with. Of course, bullying on a digital level and all of these things. But finding that middle ground modifying the workplace not to the degree of your Googles and the like, because they're finding that didn't really work either and they've had to pull back. But finding ways to engage and to understand their way of living in culture and melding it into the modern workplace is going to be imminent and important. Neil Sevadra in for Gary and Shannon stick around Blake Trolley. Our very own is going to be joining us about a story coming out of Long Beach, So go nowhere. This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app