Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise Idahol. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net. Follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, Slash Radio Detectives, and you can become one of our friends on Twitter at Radio Detectives and check out our YouTube channel at YouTube dot Great Detectives dot Today's program is brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners, and I want to thank Ben, who became our latest Patreon supporter. At the Chief of Detectives level of thirty dollars more per month. You can become a monthly ongoing contributor to the show at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net and thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 1: You can also support the program at support dot Great Detectives dot net on a one time basis, as well as getting the address to mail in a donation, also over at Great Detectives dot net. This week I look at the audio drama release for by Lamore, and you can have all of my articles automatically to deliver to your Kendle and can try that service out free for two weeks to search for great detectives of old time radio in the Kindle store. Well, now it's time for today's episode of drag Net. The original air date is October the nineteenth, nineteen fifty two, and this one is the big Pill.
Speaker 3: Sound off, ladies and gentlemen. The story you were about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned a homicide detail. Naval intelligence tells you that two marines have been picked up with the shore Patrols. They are reported sick, one is in critical condition. Foul play is suspected. Your job investigate.
Speaker 2: Drag Man, the documented drama of an actual crime, while the next thirty minut that it's in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department. You will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case. Transcribe from official police files from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force and action.
Speaker 4: It was two of the July tenth. It was hot in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: We were working to day watch out a homicide detail my partner's Frank Smith, the boss's Captain Warreman.
Speaker 4: My name is Friday.
Speaker 5: There was seven fifty eight am when I got to Room forty two Homicide one and Joe all us get in. Yeah, anything in the book, I'm looking. What's scenario? You hacked about something?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: No, why do you ask that I begas? You're sorry about something? What do you take a sour pill and keep this up? You won't be asked to post toothpaste ads? Well, that's funny, all right, Joe, tell your uncle daddy what's amatic?
Speaker 4: Not a said court deal? Yesterday? It was miserable thing you and Gaffney had been working out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the White Glove band. It came up while you were out on vacation. Spent over a month on uncovered it. From every looked like we had the guy anyway. Turned we had an idea how much he'd taken on each job. Lee thought he traced him on every movie made, on each of the deals.
Speaker 4: We figured we really had the guy.
Speaker 5: DA's office thought so too, had quitting. Yeah, let him walk right out twelve men Good and True. Let that chief Woodlum walk right out on the streets to Freeman.
Speaker 4: Well, that's where to go sometime. Very mister Friday here, Yes, sir, I'm Friday. Something I do for you?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm Richard Houston, Naval Intelligence Deputy Chief.
Speaker 4: Frown directed me to you.
Speaker 5: I say it was my partner Frank Smitton like, shit down, sir, What is it we can do for you?
Speaker 7: Well, we get a weird one. That's why we thought your department ought to be in on it. About all I can tell you is just the skeleton of the thing. We don't know all the details. We haven't gone into it completely yet. We figured you fellows would like to be in on it. From the beginning. Looks like it's going to be a police investigation. Says to begin I should go back three weeks ago and tell you the story as near as we've been able to reconstructed yestrict right to have. Well, a couple of Marines left the base. They'd just gotten back from Korea, both on a forty eight hour pass.
Speaker 4: We figured they came up here to La They.
Speaker 7: Had a lot of back pay in the their pockets. We don't know where they started, but they ended up in the Chief Hotel. We got a call from the Shore Patrol early Monday morning, they'd gotten a complaints that the two boys were causing a disturbance in the hotel. They picked them up and found they both were in a pretty bad way. They had him shipped to the Naval hospital down at Long Beach. By the time they got there, they were really rocky. Well, I'm sorry, sure, but I don't quite see just how we're connected with this.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm getting to that. I'm sorry, all right, I'm a little long winded.
Speaker 7: Anyway, last night, the boys had been awl for over two weeks. They were brought into the hospital. Like I said, the doctors did what they could, but it was too late to help. One of the boys died late last night. We're not sure about the other one. That's for you, coming, sir. They were both poisoned.
Speaker 4: Nine oh six.
Speaker 5: Am, Frank and I talked with Captain Lorman. Then we checked out a crypt car and left for Long Beach. When we got there, we talked with a doctor in charge. He told us that it would be later that night before the boy would be completely out of danger. He said, however, that we could talk to him if we played our questions so that the answers could be kept fairly brief. We looked over the boys record. His full name was Jack Wayne Walker, aged twenty four. He'd enlisted in the Marine Corps on January fourteenth, nineteen fifty.
Speaker 4: He'd spent almost a.
Speaker 5: Year in the Far East, and his service record had been good until this time. The record of the victim, PFC Edward Monaghan, was pretty much the same.
Speaker 4: The boys had both come from the same town.
Speaker 5: In Arkansas, the date of their enlistment was the same. They'd served overseas at the same time. At three forty eight pm, the doctor rushered us into Jack Walker's room.
Speaker 4: Who are you police officers? Jack? We like to talk to you. What's it about. I haven't done anything, at least they don't think i'd know.
Speaker 5: It's not that we'd like to find out what happened when you're up in LA.
Speaker 6: I killed my buddy up there. That's what happened. You heard about that, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Yes, we did. That's what we want to talk to you about.
Speaker 6: Poor ed year in Courier. Guys taking potshots at us cold mud, and we've got to come back here to get it. I didn't trust that little crumb. I knew we shouldn't have had anything.
Speaker 4: To do with it, or you shouldn't have trusted who Stubby you know the rest of his name?
Speaker 6: No, just Stubby.
Speaker 8: I just can't believe.
Speaker 4: It about Ed.
Speaker 6: We shoved off, well a going to have a last fling. Ed was getting married as soon as we got home.
Speaker 4: All right, if we could just start right at the beginning, Oh sure, Well, first.
Speaker 6: We both had a forty eight hour pass. We figured to go down are, like I said, for last fling, a few drinks. Look, some of the lights, have a little fun, sort of a bachelor party for ed Ford.
Speaker 4: Got hit you.
Speaker 6: Well, we pulled into town, see I think it was Saturday morning. A couple of buddies told us about a joint up there we could have some fun. Yeah, we head up there and nice little place that hour in the morning, I guess about ten ten thirty. Well, we started to drink. Gets pretty foggy after that, like little parts in a jigsaw, you know, you sort of see a little bit of everything, but the whole picture ain't there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, I remember we hung around the place for two days and then it all really goes black. The next thing I remember, we woke up in some flea bag. I remember looking at the calendar on the wall. We was already a couple of days a wall. Ed and I talked about what we should do, and then we get to trying to think up an excuse for the COO for being a wall with our co ain't easy, He's had experts.
Speaker 4: Try.
Speaker 6: Ed says, he figured out something. So we stopped at the bus deepole get back to base. On the way, we pass this bar and Ed says, well, maybe we ought to stop and have one more for the road. So we do, and I don't remember much for a couple more days, and I remember once we stopped and watched the guy get tattooed. Ed and I got talking about it, you know, whether or not we should have it done. Finally figure it's kind of kids stuff, so we didn't. I remember that because it was right after we left the tattoo place, went to this bar. We met Stubby.
Speaker 4: Well this is the fellow that you were talking about. Yeah, it's him, and you met him in the bar.
Speaker 6: Uh huh yeah. Ed now was sitting there trying to figure out what's going to do. You know, we're pretty broke by this time. And then two weeks, over two weeks, they wall anyway sliced.
Speaker 4: Do we have big trouble?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, we walked into this place, was about four point thirty five in the afternoon, at leastly as I can tell, that's about what time it was. A whole deal gets kind of foggy. We sat down this bar in order to drink and just setting there mind our own business, trying to figure what we ought to do. Then this stubby joker comes up, sits down next to it, brings his drink.
Speaker 4: Well, he was in the bar when you came in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, at least I think so. I didn't pay much attention, but he had a drink when he come up.
Speaker 4: To heaving me. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Well he got to talking about the Core, and next thing we know, he's setting up the drink where we was fixed loan as he wanted to buy. We wasn't going to argue.
Speaker 4: Did they seem to know this stubby in the bar?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the waits on tables called him my name to go ahead. Yeah. Well, this stubby kept going on about how he liked the Core and how he'd want to whole flock of citations in Korea told us all about.
Speaker 4: The time it spent in Japan.
Speaker 6: At first we thought he was just throwing a bunch of coconuts at us. But we'd ask him about places in Korea and things you could only know if you was there.
Speaker 4: He'd come up with the answers all right.
Speaker 6: But even with all that, there.
Speaker 4: Was something that just didn't ring true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyway, long, about eight or eight thirty that night, Stubby got in a thrash with the bartend or something about the price of the drink. So he suggested we go up to his place and get a jug, you know, and drink up there. I wasn't too hot for the idea, but Ed said we had nothing to lose, and we didn't have a sack for the night, and there wasn't much doe left, so we shoved off with him.
Speaker 4: The Stubby live a.
Speaker 6: Hotel down on Fifth I'll tell you how to find the place, same place you were picked up in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got the address that. Oh, okay, Well what happened when you got Stubby's room?
Speaker 6: We cracked the jug, sat around drinking for a while, and then Ed and I went to sleep. I tell you, the next morning we had the biggest hangovers in the entire United States and Canada, both of us.
Speaker 4: We felt miserable.
Speaker 6: ED start beefing about the cheap booze Stubby wronging on us.
Speaker 4: That's when he tried to tell us on them.
Speaker 6: Pill What those one of them things supposed to relieve hangovers?
Speaker 4: You mean the candidies selling drug stories. Oh no, no, damn. Stubby told us about that. One h he'd come.
Speaker 6: Back to the States. He stood some duty in the hospital and said the while he was there he got them pilled, said there was a special prescription that there's it's great for headshrinking.
Speaker 4: And wanted us to try. And did you?
Speaker 8: Well, no, not right away.
Speaker 6: He kept after us though, kidding us about being big tough marines with a hangover. And then he took one of the pills. Least wise we thought he did so, Ed and I figured then we didn't have anything to lose.
Speaker 4: You took one of these hangover pills, and yeah, we both did. What happened then?
Speaker 6: Well, nothing right away, Stubby said, take a little time for it take effect. We got up, started to get dressed, ed and I thought we'd better get back to the base. You know, it would probably be in enough troubles of was that I was worried about a hangover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he left the room. No, he was just getting our stuff together and Ed took six said they.
Speaker 6: Had awful pain the stomach, like a cramp, you know. We asked stubby if the pill could have caused it. He said no, it must have been the booze. Well, right about then, I was getting ready to mop up the place of this stubby, I figured sure, giving us a mickey.
Speaker 4: I couldn't figure why though.
Speaker 6: Then it hit me that fell Yeah, I guess so, real bad cramps in my stomach. I got real dizzy. Rooms started to go around, and we asked the stubby to call a doctor. And that's when we knew it was reading.
Speaker 4: How's that?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 6: We knew then he was nuts off his trolley and neither of us walk It had doubled up and passed out and I could hardly keep awake.
Speaker 4: We both laid it on the floor.
Speaker 6: I kept asking this bomb to get us a medic.
Speaker 4: Did he you know?
Speaker 6: He just stood there and laugh at us, laughed like a crazy fool. He kept saying we was big, strong marines. We should be able to take a little stomach ache. I woul run to do a doctor.
Speaker 4: There's no time. Did he make any attempt to get your medicals.
Speaker 6: You know, it's just like I said. He just stood there and laugh at us. Then he got real, got crazy leer on his face, said he'd show us, and he fixed us up good for what we'd done. Then, I don't know, well, I thought about was getting had met to a doc about this time. I didn't much care what the little screwball did. Then it really started hopping on how he's getting even with us. I tried to get at him. I have killed him if I could about it. I tried to get at him, but I fell and went out. I guess that's when he said that thing about that we wouldn't be the last ones he'd get right. Well, he said like this, you guys are the first, just the first, but there's going to be more, a lot more.
Speaker 4: We continued to talk to Jack Walker.
Speaker 5: He gave us a complete description of the man he'd known as Stubby, and going over the story again with him.
Speaker 4: There were a few changes in it, but none that couldn't be accounted for by his condition.
Speaker 5: We got the address of the bar where he'd met Stubby. We checked with the doctor and he told us that both boys had been given a powerful corrosive poison. He went on to say that it was a miracle that Jack Walker was still alive. Nine twenty six pm, Frank and I drove back to Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: We checked into the office.
Speaker 5: And ran the name Stubby through the Moniker file and R and I, but we found nothing. We got out a local and an APB on the description and the name. The stats office started a run on the mo Frank and I checked the hotel on Fifth Street and the manager showed us the room, but he said that it had been cleaned and occupied since the two Marines had left. Layton Prince went over the room but failed to come up with anything. We took the hotel registration card and booked it in his evidence. The man had signed his name as Alton Richards. The manager gave us the same description is the one we'd gotten from the marine. We ran the name through R and I, but we failed to come up with any new lead. There'd been no replies to the broadcast, and the staff's office had finished the run and had come up with four possible suspects.
Speaker 4: Leaves were checked out, but they let us nowhere.
Speaker 5: Two thirty am we checked the bar, but we found it was closed Wednesday eight fourteen am. We briefed Captain Lrmon on the developments, and then we went over to again check the bar where the two Marines were supposed to have met Stubby. The place was deserted except for one man drinking a beer. The waitress was sitting in a rare booth filing her fingernails. Frank and I went back to talk to her.
Speaker 6: Yes, something you.
Speaker 4: Want, well, police officers, Miss, we'd like to talk to.
Speaker 6: You, captain.
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am, that's my partner, go Friday. My name is Smith. Yes, boy? Does that sound fronny? Here's a ID card?
Speaker 9: Yes, Smith?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 9: What do you want?
Speaker 4: You mind if we sit down? No, go ahead and live. What's it's all about? Do you work here?
Speaker 9: Study here most of the time?
Speaker 4: What's your name? Miss? Vera?
Speaker 6: Vera gay?
Speaker 4: I'm gay? Were you working here around the eighth and ninth or the tenth of July?
Speaker 9: Yeah? And you can make it Vera?
Speaker 4: You know most of the people who come in here regular doly?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I suppose so.
Speaker 4: I wonder if you look at this description, tell us if you know the man here way? What's that name? White male American? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Wma thirty six years, five feet seventy five feet nine, one hundred and fifty five pounds.
Speaker 4: Dubby.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I know him, comes in here all the time. Nice guy, loud when he gets drunk. It's always nice to me, though. Tell me I should be in pictures, you know the movie?
Speaker 4: Yes, man, you seen him today?
Speaker 9: No, he had to ever get in before maybe noon one o'clock. It just doesn't bother he does it my fall, him my nail, not at all. He does bother some people, you know, like rounding a piece of chalk down a.
Speaker 4: Blackboard, Miss Stubby. Does he have any other name? Do you know it? Yeah? Paul Rodgers, that's another one, John. How do you want to go ahead? And miss?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: Not with him a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Finally gave it up. I couldn't go that route.
Speaker 4: What's that man?
Speaker 6: Well he talked about.
Speaker 9: Was either him in the Marine Corps, what a big hero he was, or else how he was going to get me in pictures, you know movies? Yes, n I didn't come out to California to get in the movies. I came out to be a private secretary. I mean those jobs are a little hard to get, so I work here make enough for coffee and cakes. And when a job comes along, I'll take it. Work in a big office, nice boss. Who knows he might even marry me? That movie holp him for me, you know, sir, not your little vera.
Speaker 4: Did you work on the night of the night it's night before last? Let's see, Yeah, I was in. You happened to see the study Rogers that night?
Speaker 6: Well, I gotta think about that.
Speaker 9: Let's see, that was the night we had the fight just before closing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was in earlier. You happen to notice if he was with anybody? What's it all about?
Speaker 8: He do something you wanted for we?
Speaker 4: We just like to talk to him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, if he did anything, we had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 6: This is a good place.
Speaker 9: We got nothing to do with the people come in, got the price of a drink to get served. We don't ask for trouble.
Speaker 4: Oh, we aren't going to cause any trouble. Miss. We just want to talk to this Rogers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well we aren't running into it.
Speaker 4: You remember if he was with anyone, Yeah, he.
Speaker 9: Was with a couple of marines. Left with him. Had a beef with Sam. He's a night bartender complained that the drinks were too high. I don't know what he was crying about. He's been drinking here a long time, never had problems before.
Speaker 4: You saw him leave with these two marines then, yeah.
Speaker 9: Three of them walked out. I think actually they sort of floated up. Two kids were really boiled.
Speaker 4: You remember what time it was when they left?
Speaker 9: Oh, and that'd be kind of hard to tell.
Speaker 4: We were pretty busy. It was pretty important, man.
Speaker 9: Let me think, I guess maybe around eight maybe eight thirty round in there.
Speaker 6: It's just a guess, though.
Speaker 4: Do you have any idea where this Rogers lived?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've been there a couple of times.
Speaker 4: So tell on South Hill? Can you give us the address?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I got it in person.
Speaker 9: I should have known he was a phonny all we'd say. And I thought he could get me in pictures, you.
Speaker 4: Know the movies.
Speaker 9: Yes, don't come that way. Don't you understand. I didn't come out here to get in pictures. I came out to be a private secretary. Here's the address. Here, keep it. I won't be using it anymore.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Okay, here's our card. If you think of it any more. You think we ought to know, we'd appreciate a call from her.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think sure.
Speaker 4: Appreciate your health.
Speaker 9: Well, you never know, maybe I don't need your health sometime. Matter of fact, you might be able to lend me a hand.
Speaker 4: What's that you know?
Speaker 9: Any picture producers? You know movies?
Speaker 5: Frank called the name Paul Rodgers into the office and the supplementary broadcast and an APV were gotten out. A stakeout was arranged on the bar. We went back to the city hall and the check threw R and I on the name Paul Rogers netted us nothing. We drove over to the hotel on South Hill. The manager told us that Rogers was not in his room. He went on to say that Rogers had not been using his room regularly for the past week or so, but that he had been in a couple of days before in the company of a soldier, and that as far as he knew, the soldier was still in in the company of the manager. Frank and I went upstairs. The manager un locked the door and we went in. Rememb Frank, is someone in bed? Yeah, come on you, how about it?
Speaker 4: In just a minute, how about it, Joe, I don't know he's dead.
Speaker 2: You are listening to drag met the authentic story of your police force in action.
Speaker 5: Wednesday, July eleventh, twelve forty pm. We called the Coroner's office. Then we got in touch with the crime lab and the photographers. After the pictures had been taken, the body was removed. The victim was a soldier in his mid thirty On the nightstand beside the bed we found an empty pill bottle.
Speaker 4: And a suicide note.
Speaker 5: The note was booked as evidence and turned over to Don Meyer for comparison with a handwriting taken from the hotel registration card that Rogers had signed. The men from Latent Prince went over the place thoroughly. They came up with several classifiable prints. Fingerprints found on the bottle belonged to the victim. There were several other sets in the room which were not identified.
Speaker 4: The crime lab went.
Speaker 5: Over the room and they went back to the lane have to make their analysis. All officers in the area were alerted to be on the lookout for Rogers. Frank and I talked to the manager of the hotel, a Henry Cory. He told us that Rogers had lived in the hotel for the past four and a half months. He said that Rogers was quiet, kept pretty much to himself, and for the most part was a good tenant. He said that on several occasions Rogers had gotten behind in his rent, but that he'd always managed to come up with the money. The manager told us that in the conversations he'd had with Rogers, the main topic had been the Marine Corps and the.
Speaker 4: Suspects record overseas.
Speaker 5: Rogers presented himself as an armchair general, constantly calling down the way the situation was being handled. He would refer to his own exploits, but when questioned about his leaving the service, he became vague and evasive. Additional handwriting samples were obtained and sent to Meyer. The manager told us that the latest victim had come in with Rogers the night before, and that at the time he'd been pretty drunk.
Speaker 4: They'd gone upstairs, and when.
Speaker 5: Rogers had left in the morning, the manager assumed that the soldier had gone The night before three twenty pm, Frank and I went back to relieve the stakeout at the bar.
Speaker 4: Back again, Yes, mis gay, thank you.
Speaker 9: I think like every time I see you. I'm doing something with my nails this morning, filing them now I'm filing them again.
Speaker 6: I wanna put.
Speaker 9: Polish on them after this. I guess you think I'm pretty vain.
Speaker 4: No, I'm a new color called frosted rose.
Speaker 6: Pretty kind of iridescence.
Speaker 9: What the label says to.
Speaker 8: Sprinkle your nails with stardust?
Speaker 6: It's pretty battle.
Speaker 9: Too, make sure put things up nice now days. Oh, here comes your boy.
Speaker 4: It's Rogers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeh want within, I's gone, Sevan, I have.
Speaker 4: All the sexes, boys and pretty dull.
Speaker 6: You're doing a great early.
Speaker 3: Yet here's your drink.
Speaker 4: A week more bits here you go? All right, thanks freak, let's go. No trouble now, not unless he makes it.
Speaker 6: Hi, fellow, something you want you Paul Rogers?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Who are you?
Speaker 4: Police officers? Would I to talk to you?
Speaker 6: I don't want any trouble in here.
Speaker 4: There's not going to be any trouble. Always fights.
Speaker 10: Why is everybody comes into a bar and starts fights to somebodace else to be Rogers?
Speaker 8: Well for you kt nothing the home mea.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to you about that too.
Speaker 10: Well, let me finish my drink, No pray not, Let's go now, I said, I was going to finish my drink.
Speaker 4: Don lane's can it mister?
Speaker 6: And go?
Speaker 8: I said, I was going to finish my drink though.
Speaker 6: All right, let's draw your feet, nothing on him, take.
Speaker 4: Him to the office.
Speaker 6: Sergeant, Yes, sir, thanks sure, appreciate it. So what's that after a minute there, you're going to have a fight.
Speaker 5: We took the suspect back to the city hall. Then we checked the name through the Marine base in San Diego. Lieutenant Richard Houston called back to say that Rogers had received a court martial and a dishonorable discharge.
Speaker 4: In January of that year.
Speaker 5: He'd been tried by a military court on the charge of stealing alcohol from the hospital pharmacy and selling it to the patients in the hospital. We stopped in handwriting analysis and Don Meyer took an exemplar of the suspect's writing. When we checked by the office, there was a message from Sergeants Bill Cummings and Harry Hansen stating that their investigation had shown that the death of the soldier in Roger's room was suicide beyond any doubt. Seven forty six pm. Frank and I talked to the suspect in the interrogation room.
Speaker 10: Terrible thing, treating a veteran like right, Let's save it. Rogers there's a few questions we'd like some answers to. I got nothing to hide, all right.
Speaker 4: What were the conditions of your discharge from the Marine Corps?
Speaker 8: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Did you get an honorable discharge or a dishonorable discharge?
Speaker 10: I had a little trouble Loozzi. Officers never did understand what the problems in the enlisted man were.
Speaker 4: What do you do for a living, rogers?
Speaker 10: I work around. Do you have a steady job? What do you mean steady when you've held for SayMore in six months? Haven't been out of service that long? Where'd you serve in the courts Japan?
Speaker 4: Korea? How long are you there? About?
Speaker 8: Four or five month? Why did you come back? I was wounded? How what do you mean?
Speaker 4: How just that? How were you wounded? Well?
Speaker 8: I wasn't exactly wounded. I had my feet frostbit.
Speaker 5: According to this here you went a wallen, got lost. When they found you, your feet were frozen.
Speaker 4: Is that right? What's set? You got your record in the car?
Speaker 8: Got a lot of nerve digging into that. That's what you got me in here for? Anyway? I done nothing that puts me in line for this kind of tree.
Speaker 4: I know a couple of marines named dead Monahan and Jack Walker.
Speaker 8: Monahan Walker, No, I don't think I know.
Speaker 4: You ever register in a hotel on Fifth Street.
Speaker 8: No, I live over on Hill.
Speaker 4: You know a soldier named Marty Wilton. What's he got to do with it? We found him dead in your room? You're cracking out? Yeah, sure, Rogers, we just dreamed. We found that body.
Speaker 8: I had nothing to do with him. Met him in a bar.
Speaker 10: He said he wasn't feeling too good, said he didn't have a place to sleep. I let him have my room. Something wrong in that? Be a little kind and how even that gets you in trouble?
Speaker 4: Be sure you don't know a marine named Deed Monahan?
Speaker 5: Positive, there's something wrong, Rogers. Girl at the bar says she saw you leave the place with two marines. They could have been Monahan and Walker.
Speaker 8: Well maybe I know him. I might and still not know their names.
Speaker 4: You didn't take him up to a room. You'd read it in a hotel on fifth Street?
Speaker 8: No, I told you once. I never lived on Fifth.
Speaker 5: Checked with our handwriting man. He says, you're writing matches some samples. We foundhim the hotel registered.
Speaker 8: Maybe I write like somebody else No, we don't think so, mister.
Speaker 4: How about Jack Walker? Maybe you know him, he just didn't remember him.
Speaker 8: You know, I keep telling you I don't know them.
Speaker 4: Vera says, you do.
Speaker 8: Well, she's lying?
Speaker 4: Is she sure she is?
Speaker 8: She's trying to say her own skin. For one, she doesn't want to stand a rap for murder, can't you see?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm go ahead, Roger.
Speaker 8: I'm saying nothing until I see my lawyer.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you don't want to tell us why I did it.
Speaker 8: I got nothing to say.
Speaker 4: Makes it tough, Roger, What do you mean? Just makes it rough? That's all. Looks like you're gonna have to stand a murder rap. Yeah, that's the way it looks.
Speaker 8: Well, I didn't mean it. I didn't. I just wanted to get even, that's all.
Speaker 10: Just get even for what Roger, for the way the cors treated me, kicked me out.
Speaker 8: I didn't do anything really wrong.
Speaker 4: Cop a little alcohol, that's.
Speaker 8: All, no harm done.
Speaker 4: They look at it a little different.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a trouble stinking brass. They're all alike. They don't care what happens to us. The guys in the field try to get a job. I looked everywhere I just didn't fit. Seemed like everywhere I went, I got into trouble. I wanted like it was when I first went in, Like it was after boot camp, walking down the street, girls looking at you, A marine, a big man. It took that away from me. They wouldn't let me list again. I tried, but they wouldn't let me. You can understand what that I do to a guy, can't you.
Speaker 4: I don't know who've.
Speaker 8: Torn me apart? Right?
Speaker 10: Then I decided to get even all the stinking gyrings in the world. They wouldn't let me in, and I hated them. Remember what happened to day? You gave the two boys the pills? Do you sure remember all of it? They cried for a medic. There weren't big men then, No, sir, they sure weren't.
Speaker 4: All right, ryders. We'll get us denial, Tell me, sergeant, Yeah, did I get both of them? Now?
Speaker 10: Walker's going to be all right, be a young one, that's right, A real nice kid.
Speaker 4: Lucky too, Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 10: No worries really got it made. Uniform, That's what does it. Uniform makes all the difference.
Speaker 4: In the world. Man. We don't worry. You'll get one.
Speaker 3: The stary you have just heard was true. The names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 2: On November thirteenth, trial was held in the Apartment eighty seven, Superior Court of the State of California in and for the County of Los Angeles. In a moment, the results of that trial.
Speaker 4: Now here is our star, Jack Webb, Thank you, George Fennerman.
Speaker 5: In modern crime detection, the working detective depends on scientific research. He relies on the services of trained experts in ballistics, communications, fingerprints, to name just a few. He's interested only in facts.
Speaker 4: Paul M.
Speaker 2: Rodgers was tried and convicted on one count of murder in the first degree. He was sentenced to life imprisonment in the State Penitentiary San Quentin, California. You have just heard Dragnet a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Department Technical Advisors, Captain Jack Donahoe, Sergeant Marty Wynn, Sergeant Vance Braischer. Heard tonight were Ben Alexander, Virginia, Greg Jack Cruchan, script by John Robinson, music by Walter Schumann, Hell Gidney speaking.
Speaker 4: Tonight.
Speaker 3: It's Barry Craig, Confidential Investigator on NBC. This is Andrew J.
Speaker 8: Graham, author of the web surface series Oh and a Man of His Wife.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the great Detectives of Old time radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. A pretty hideous act. Now, Dragnet had a story that kind of reminded me of this the Big Watch. That was different because the crime was at least a little bit less senseless. See, people were targeting officers and they would also rob them for beating them up, and you know, they had their resentments, but there was more to it than that, and this was less brutal or you just have a case of cold blood and murder out of a sense of envy because they had what you want. And yeah, it's just an incredible and spotful crime. I did find the waitress to be interesting a character, and her reluctance to express interest and carefulness to avoid giving the impression that she came out to Los Angeles to get into pictures is understandable because it was such a cliche thing to do at the time. Generally, if you actually came out there, it painted you as a bit naive. Where she came out there or not, her dates with Stubby kind of stirred it in her a little bit, even though she would really loath to admit it. Listener comments and feedback. Now, Ben rits In, Hi, and my name is Ben. I'm fifteen years old and I've been listening to your podcast for maybe two years now. Your show has helped me through a lot of tough times, and I listen to it every night because it helps me sleep. I just want to say thank you very much. I also just pledged at the chief of detectives level, thanks for all you do and keep up the good work, sir well. Ben, thank you so much for supporting the program, and I am very honored and humble by your support of the show. I'm glad that you found it helpful and I can't say just how much I appreciate you supporting the program. Thanks again so much for your support. Ben. Then we have a comment from Wes who rits in regarding the Big Jolt, good Old Turner and Brown the unsung Euros of dragnet. I think one thing about dragnet that's a good comment. But one thing about Dragnet is and there were some, particularly during the Golden Age, some movies and even some radio programs that you had the idea of this very small universe of policemen who are actually working or who could actually contribute to a case. And one thing about Dragnet, particularly in the nineteen fifties, is that you have people show up that you might think, just in a general narrative sense, are somewhat random with information or from some division we would never think of. But it's also serving to play up and to remind viewers and listeners that there are a lot of people working in the police department, and they often will on Dragnet, even Frank and to their own suspect, there are several episodes where that happened. All right, well, thanks so much, Wes. That will do it for today. Join us back here on Monday for Nightbeat. Next Saturday, Dragnet again. If you do have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, slash Radiodetectives. From Boise, Idaho, this is your host, Adam Grahamson and off