Speaker 1: I am Fred Hayes at Holla thirteen Learn Magio Pilot. I'm just happy to do a little chatting about those exciting days back on the mission. Now approaching some fifty years, and you're listening to The Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to the exciting show that you tell us you like so much, The Doctors Sky Show with great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, with celebrity guests in the mix. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our flowing and glowing producer of the radio show, Richard Dugan of radio station ks ESB. That's AM twelve ninety in Santa Barbara, California. And first the shout out from our flagship radio station KTAR ninety two point three FM, the news Talk here in the desert Southwest, and to all the stations around the nation who've been listening for ten years. Thank you for your dedication. Today, ladies and gent I'm an exceptional interview. In just a few moments, we'll be speaking with one of the crew members of Apollo thirteen. Yes, indeed, you may have seen the movie starring Tom Hanks and so many other celebrities. Here today, ladies and gentlemen, is Fred Hayes. He was a lunar module pilot on Apollo thirteen, and a brief bio of Fred Hayes is in order. Fred Hayes is an American former NASA astronaut, fighter pilot with the US Marine Corps and the US Air Force and test pilot included. He is one of only twenty four people who have flown to the Moon, having flown as the lunar module pilot on Apollo thirteen. He was to have been the sixth person to land and walk on the Moon, but the Apollo thirteen mission was aborted before lunar landing. He then went on to fly Space Shuttle approach and landing tests in nineteen seventy seven and retired from NASA in nineteen seventy nine. Apollo thirteen was the seventh man mission in the Apollo space program and the third intended to land on the Moon. The craft, the Apollo Saturn five, was launched back on Aprilly, a love of the nineteen seventy from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The lunar landing was aborted after an oxygen tank exploded two days later, crippling the service module upon which the command module had depended. Despite great hardship caused by limited power, loss of cabin heat, storage of potable water, and a critical need to make makeshift repairs to the carbon diox that removal system, the crew returned safely to Earth on April the seventeenth, nineteen seventy, six days after launch, and speaking to us from his home in Texas, is none other than Fred Hayes, Ladies and gentlemen, one of only twenty four people who've gone to the Moon, one of the humans who's actually gone farthest from the Earth. Fred Hayes. Welcome to the show, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: Glad to join you here today from hot, sunny Houston.
Speaker 2: Yes there, and I'm here in hot and equally sunny Phoenix, Arizona, where the temperatures yesterday Fred got up to at least one hundred and sixteen degrees. But the most important part of that is that'll all be over, hopefully soon.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I met you briefly and shook your hand down at Spacefest, and it was a high honor to stand there and just be with you, and I wanted you to start off from the beginning, of course, because it's not an easy path to becoming an astronaut. Describe your early experience and how you got into the Astronaut Corps and then of course moved all the way up the pecking order, as we would say, to be on board Apollo thirteen.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the start for me was when I got in aviation and joined the military during the Korean War and became a naval Aavy year, served in two Marine viider squadrons along the way. I did not see combat in the career. It ended about four months finished flight training, but anyway, I then subsequently got interested in thinking about being a test pilot, who went back to school to get an engineering degree and joined NASA actually just barely after it became NASA in nineteen fifty nine at the Lewis Research Center in Cleveland, now named Glenn after John Glenn, and I actually was two about two and a half years behind Neil Armstrong. Neil also was a NASA pilot, a research pilot, started at Lewis where I did, but had already moved on to Edwards Air Force Base, and he got a chance to fly the X fifteen rocket ship. She was ahead of me there and then went into the Asnaut program, and I just followed his trail because after a three years at Lewis, I moved to Edwards right after Neil again left a couple of years ago earlier to go in the Asnaut program, and so I was on that trail. And actually when I talked to Neil when he was already in the SNOUT program, I really had to think hard about signing up because our appliant, because what he told me was being an a not involved being in a lot a lot of meetings and a lot of simulation time and not much really good flying as we had done with NASA and various test programs. Sure, so I had to think hard about giving up that because I actually still the best fun time of my life flying was my time in Edwards Air Force Base at the Flight Research Center, which incidentally today is named after Neil. It's Armstrong Flight Research Center.
Speaker 2: It's a great place, good there, and it's an amazing story because we talked to so many pilots like yourself, sir, and obviously this you want to be in the cockpit, not flying at desk, and I think that kind of summarizes the.
Speaker 1: Point right right. Yeah. But you know I realized, sitting there thinking a little more, that I was intrigued with the lunar mission, and I said, well, if I stay at Edwards, that's not going to get me to the moon. So that's when I applied.
Speaker 2: Absolutely wonderful Fred Hayes, Ladies and gentlemen, astronaut on a board Apollo thirteen and most famous as many of the Apollo missions, of course, all equally important for this particular story. If you ask the average person on the street, they probably have a little more recollection of Apollo thirteen. Fred Hayes joins us from his home in southern Texas here on the Doctor Sky Show, of course, as one of nineteen new astronauts selected Vanessa's Astronaut Group five back in nineteen sixty six. But then talk about the mixes they have it where they made up the cruise and obviously some changes were made. Then there you go, You guys are ready to launch a most interesting rocket. I mean, we've talked about this with so many of the space scientists, but I want to hear it from yourself, Fred. When they put you inside there, great people like untervend. I guess he was one of the pad leaders that put so many of the astronauts back into the space capsules. When you're standing on that gang plank and moving into the capsule described from there and the launch sequence, what's it like? What does it feel like to have that big, those big five f one engines pushing you towards space? I got to hear that.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's like anything he approached some in sports, a big game. We'd worked long and hard to get there. There was a little taken away as we headed out because we had changed to crewman. Jack Schwiger replaced the Ken manningly because we'd all been exposed to measles and Ken was felt to be very susceptible to come down with measles, which incidentally, I think Ken's one year younger than me, so he's eighty three, and I don't think he's ever had measles. But anyway, that replacement was made with Jack, so it was kind of emotionally a little hard changing out a crewman that late in the game, although the movie gave a wrong inflection that there was some concern about Jack's technical capability to fill in and that was not the case. We trained equally as prime and backup, and I backed up eight and eleven, and I'm sure I could have done the job if I had been replaced the counterpart. I was backing up without his problem. But at any rate, you're excited because this is now. You've done all this work and training and you're going to finally get to go. As far as what you feel in the in the rocket's certain steps during the launch preparation sequence, and that they gimble engines and that kind of puts a motion rumble up the stack, but you can't hear anything as far as you know. The engines obviously are heard from the roar and pressure even from the sound waves. The visitors five miles away viewers they feel that, but we inside you don't hear any of that sound because it's well below you and you're moving up the right itself uppeal. The most unusual couple of unusual aspects of it from playing all my airplane experience with fighter airplanes and otherwise, is the sort of herky jerkiness of the riot, the large four out of engines when they gimbaled, even I guess moving very small. That gives a lot of motion, and it's exaggerated because we're sitting in a capsule way up on the tippy top, and so you get a lot of sickly sideways motion that you normally would never feel in an airplane. And the G levels though are modest compared to a fighter airplanes. Plus, we were laying on our backs in a couch, which is a better position to take g's rather than the fighter airplane. We're just sitting up right in an ejection seat. And even the old fighters I flew, we'd pull six seven g's and combat maneuvering. And of course the maximum G on Apollo launch was four and a half, so that part wasn't that big a deal. The other most pronounced thing was when the first stage shut down, which it does obviously very abruptly, and you tend to get thrown in an instrument panel because you go instantly from four and a heftgis to no g's. Wow, and during that transition. That's that's kind of another abrupt sequence that takes place in the launch. That's about it. Other than that, it's moved out even beyond that with the big wood engines as we went on uphill.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. So you feel like a little kick in the pants the sisode of speak. It's like when that first stage just shuts down, you feel a different You feel a pretty big jolt done. Is that what you're trying to say, right, big jolt?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Most people think of it when you lift off the pad as a jolt in the pants, but it's not. It's it moves away. It just its pictures you've seen almost look like slow motion is so heavy. It's over six million pounds that even those big engines, it moves away quite slowly. Fact I've talked to people have written the Russian Siya, which is also a liquid system, and they say, almost what without seeing the clock starting, they don't even know they left it off.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. Ladies and gentlemen, you're joined here in the Dunchter Sky Show by one of the famous astronauts here of all time, not because of the mission, but his dedication. Like all the astronauts. First, Professor, I want to thank you for your service to the United States military, as of course all the great folks we have on this show. That's pardon Parcel. I think the most important thing to say to any of the veterans, So thank you for your service the United States of America. But in that very rare group of people, twenty four people, as we've described, sir, you know that better than anyone have gone to the moon. My interest in this is to talk with you about something interesting. When I was a young boy, my parents took me down to see an eclipse of the sun, which was March the seventh, nineteen seventy and right there as we got to the Kennedy Space Center, right there in the Canaveral area, we saw and I saw this. I have a little picture still and I keep it on my desk in the little codochrome of the all of thirteen stack just sitting there, and I was amazed as a young boy. But describe it, sir, because we never could stay for the launch, which would have been one a month later. I'm amazed because three hundred and sixty five feet tall, if I'm correct, that's bigger than some buildings. And it's just a amazing feat how they created the Setron five moon rocket.
Speaker 1: Now I described so people can maybe better understand that size is I tell them, if you lay it horizontally, which is now is displayed that way, at Johnson Space Center at Marshall and the Space and Rocket Center there in Huntsville, Alabama, and at Kennedy it would cover the entire football field plus both end zones and then have about three foot hanging out totally. So that's the size of that that rocket, and.
Speaker 2: So many people, as you know better, are trying to create the bigger throat. I mean Elon Musk and the Falcon Heavies and some other many people around the world are trying to build, including NASA. But that's s're an amazing part of history, and we salute the people who built that rocket and the people like yourself on this radio show, let's talk about the Moon mission itself. I'm fascinated by this because obviously many people out there are interested to hear your story, sir. As you get into the lunar transition injection, you're moving, of course, toward the Moon. Here's what happens, and I don't know, Fred, I can say it in my simple way, around two hundred and five thousand miles from Earth, the event that you're going to describe just happened. And just so you know, Fred, on my little Honda Element it just turned two hundred and five thousand miles, and it took me ten years to do it. But describe the journey to the moon, because that's the best way in earthlin like me and describe it. It took me a hell of a lot of years, Fred over a decade to get to two hundred and five thousand miles, but describe it in a serious way. You're moving on to lunar injection, the rockets moving toward the moon, and what's that like. And then all of a sudden around two hundred and five thousand miles take up and pick up the story from there because this is the historic part.
Speaker 1: Well, you trip out dound, it's pretty relaxed. You do some platform alignments. We had some photos to take at different times at different distances of the Earth as we moved away. It was kind of maybe what we call it one of the design objectives, and you do housekeeping kind of things, and one thing you do is as a ratis sheets, you actually are still taking out some of the checklists and the handwriting and changes that were made. It was too late to do a reprint of the book, so you're you're modifying them that way with a Ratis sheet, and that tickle. The day that this happened, a second day out them Level and I have been scheduled and did accomplish a TV show near the end of the work day. We did it sort of as a show and tell, pulling out elements and objects in the lunar module that we knew from looking at previous missions. TV shows never had been talked about, and we figured that might be interesting for the general public. And after the plan was after we finished that show, we were fixing to go to bed, and that was the end of the work day. And the next morning the plan was to wake up and go and prepare them go into lunar orbit and subsequently power getting. Jim and I would get in the limb and powered up and prepare for the landing. The explosion happened just after we completed that TV show Wow. Jack was alone in the command module at the time. Jim and I were in the limb and it was It was obviously a loud bang reverberating through the metal structure. Both vehicles are metal. There was some vehicle motion, though not very much, but rusters, a little one hundred pounds attitude thrusters were firing, which you know where was unusual, and Jim had already started then to drift up through the tunnel to go back to the command module. By that time, Jack had made the call, the first call of Houston, we've had a problem. Houston had not answered, and so Jim repeated the call, and then subsequently I started up to get to my position, which was in the right couch in front of me. I had the electrical system stuff, the fire, environmental and communications, and within a cent a minute scan it was obvious from the readings in several meters that we had lost auction tank two.
Speaker 4: Okay here, we've had a problem here.
Speaker 3: This is Houston, Sagan, please Houston.
Speaker 4: We've had a probably maybe both.
Speaker 5: On a volts remain involt.
Speaker 4: It's okay, stand by thirteen.
Speaker 2: We're looking at it.
Speaker 5: Okay right now, youth, and the voltage is looking good. And we had a pretty large bank associated with the caution and warning there.
Speaker 4: And the very called me B was the one that's had a camp spike on it once before. And the interview here we're starting to go ahead and button up the tunnel again. Yeah, that's that, Joel's what's the rocks the center on C now and oh two quantity two. It's was OSCO eight down around twenty to sixty percent. Now it's both Skil Hygen and Houston. We had to restart on our computer. We would think right at h at the restartger.
Speaker 5: Restart interfers like restarting.
Speaker 3: And had a looking at the rec cervice module art Yes, Helium wat we have ber barber pool at Seer barber pool, Helium two beer barber pool at secondary of the pelops. I have a at b barberpool f BAC temperatures. Okay eighty two. Is you on zip up and I'm trying to reconfigure on it?
Speaker 4: Jack?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we get a Smatt's say under vote now too, shot Leadi intervot treat about twenty five and a half.
Speaker 4: Maybe ready zip right now?
Speaker 5: Jim.
Speaker 2: That's amazing Fred, what we've just heard. And I just want you to continue on your story because from my perspective, of course, the limited knowledge I've had of this throughout history, and then of course watching Tom Hanks rendition of Apollo thirteen, I see this amazing explosion take place on the command module, and I mean that's just so unnerving because you and of course the other crew mate were prepared to continue on the two to the surface of the moon. You and Jim level to the from moral region on the moon, and well, your mind goes from not just thinking about the lunar landing now it transitions into what it's kind of a survival mode thing. But how bad was this if you can describe it, because I don't want to be dramatic here, I want to hear it from yourself. I mean, how close to this particular point was this like fatal? Maybe to you guys, if you didn't have the lunar module attached, that was the lifeboat right.
Speaker 1: Well, the way the situation as described was right after the explosion was we lost Tank two. We thought we still had Tank one, the other auction tank, which really meant we were not in a life threatening situation. Good for that tank obviously, then showed and developed had developed somehow a very slow leak who was not a parent immediately. In fact, the mission control with all the array of warning lights we had on quite a few, about seven of them, and computer restart blue light and a master all arm for eighteen minutes, Houston thought it was an instrumentation problem and not a real problem. But as the auction tank to number one showed that it had a leak. That's when it became to become a real problem, very serious problem. He did one through extensive period of troubleshooting with the Michigan Control diagnosed in different ways we might be able to isolate the leak to that tank one. And that went on for an hour. And so it was about that time that GM asked me to when it was pretty obviously they were running out of ideas to start powering up the Linnar module, which is as happenstance, we still had a fully intact, the ready vehicle of land on the Moon that now could serve to provide his life support and communications and really by time to work this major issue to try to get his home. So that that's what Jim and I got very active and left Jack alone in the command module to go. He continued working with Michigan Control and eventually shut that vehicle completely down.
Speaker 2: Well, Fred, you know, I have a problem personally when I go into tight spaces. I think they call it claustrophobia, but I don't know if that's exactly what I have, And a lot of people that like this but describe the environment of both the command module, the Apollo capsule itself, your living environment, and that of the lunar module. It's it's fairly spacious according to like when we had Jim hobble on here. But you're another person who experienced it. I mean you're in some trying to kind of tight quoters. Is that a fair dis assessment?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, tight, but yes, but it's very comfortable what you've spent lots of hours. And in terms of background, most of us have been fighter pilots. Fighter airplanes don't have a lot of room exactly, and so that to me, it was not anywhere near a coastrophobic situation that you described. But again testing on the ground, both at the factory before they were delivered to Kennedy and living in them in quite a few many hours, and the tests and at Kennedy and including the chamber test with the vehicles, they were like a second home. So there was no issue from that standpoint. With the living the environment, it was tight obviously, and it was kind of an all in one room situation. It was your working area, it was your place, you with the optics, you had, you shot stores, it was your galley with the cupboards with the cabinets you could open for food and a water gun and hot and cold water guns to mix up your food, and also your bathroom all in one little room.
Speaker 2: Totally the knowledgy right, Totally amazing Fred, how they designed this. But thank goodness for Lunar Module Aquarius, as you and the rest of the crew are handling the emergency on board Command module hodesty. But this is I've never heard this from anyone, and I want to hear it from you. I spent a little time with Jim Level on this, but we never had enough time to ask the procedural thing. So from that incident, what and how quickly was the decision made obviously to do what you could to get back? I mean, was there the possibility that you could have just simply turned the whole spacecraft around toward and headed to Earth or it's not that simple because you need the moon to want swing around us. Tell us what did happen and how you swung around the moon.
Speaker 1: Well, we obviously were not involved with that particular decision you mentioned where you could do what was called a directors turn, which would involve practically using all the fuel out of the service module uh and having maybe jettison even but I think the ground, the people on the ground who had a set of call it technical arguments about it, and decided they didn't really know the status of the service module, its health, and decided that the safest way was to just can continue the path and modify the path to go around the moon to buy time. And that's what happened during this mission. It was a sort of a sequence of plateaus of remaining still a little ahead of the game until you figured out the next thing. And so the first thing that they agreed on, and I call it Plan B now the new flight plan, was to get us on that path back back around the moon head home and that was the first maneuver we did using the landing engine on the lamb, the one we would have landed with to affect that trajectory change.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, I mean more and more I hear this, ladies and gentlemen. The of course lunar module Aquarius is so dependent, I mean, so important to get these three astronauts back. And again we're speaking with Fred Hayes, one of the members on board Apollo thirteen. He was the lunar module pilot on the historic mission. He and Jim Lovell John Sweigert of course made up the rest of the crew. So from this particular factoid, and this is fascinating because I study astronomy mostly, Sir, your flight passed the far side of the Moon at at the highest elevation I guess, so, making what you and your crew the farthest humans ever adventured so far away from Earth right now in history. So that's an amazing feed right there. Why did you have to go so far from the Moon to get extra speed? Is that the simple answer?
Speaker 1: Well, I think that record which I have traded there for landing on the Moon, but at hidy rate. The happenstance was we went around the Moon at about one hundred and thirty thirty one miles something like that. Yes, And the luar trajectory around the Moon is not circular, it's somewhat elliptical. And the timing was we went around the Moon as it was kind of at one of its furthest points away from the Earth in that path it takes. So that couple with our attitudes, gave.
Speaker 4: Us that.
Speaker 1: Point of being the furthest away from Earth at that particular time.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, that's incredible, fredim until people go back to the Moon. That's a great historic record. But more important the safety of the crew, the great ground controllers and people. As for the handling this mission, obviously real genius is to make sure that the spacecraft gets you and your other two crew members back. So once you make that burn around the Moon, describe the ingrest toward the Earth, because I've never heard any astronaut explain this. As you're now coming back from the far side of the Moon, you have the lunar module with you in front, you have of course the command module damaged to Apollo capsule. What's the next procedure and how then do you actually pinpoint a location on the Earth In this rather unusual setting, We've got a lunar module as a lifeboat. It seems so complicated. It's like skipping a rock on the water. You don't want it to go off and skip off onto space. So tell us this is fascinating to hear the.
Speaker 1: Rest well again again, as I said, it was a series of things that were worked in this new Plan B that kept is ahead of the game. The first one was after we passed the Moon by two hours, the longest maneuver we did using the Lamb decent engine cut ten hours off the return and that was critical from the standpoint of saving time in making this a better shape on consolables that is, water in power, et cetera. And so then further we had to do two minor corrections to the trajectory to as you say, fit into the right angle as we approached the Earth for the entry. So you know, it's just a series of three in that case, three steps that the biggest maneuver after we left the Moon a couple hours, and then two more mid courses they're called on the way back to sort of fine tune the path for entry.
Speaker 2: Right, this is interesting. I have a model of this particular spacecraft that's going to stay there forever. It's a beautiful model. You'd love it too. It's got the lunar module attached to the command and service module with the Apollo capsule of course in between. So describe to the viewers out there some radios of the theater of the mind as you're heading toward the Earth. When did you have to get rid of the lunar module to deploy? You get rid of that to be ejected it and then when did the command module actually separate from the apollo Comps will describe that series because it's still to me amazing how all this worked with the crisis that happened on the command module.
Speaker 1: Well, the sequence obviously we're in a situation, approached an entry that was different than anything before, as you say, with the limbs still attached and a dead service module that could not we cannot use with its thrusters to do proper separation. So the first thing that was separated was the service module. It was dead and wasn't much use otherwise, and that was used with control from the limb in some thrust to the sure separation offset to our path, and it allowed us also Jim could then rotate the lunar module with attitude thrusters, and we shot a lot of pictures of the damaged stereo I saw too long after that, we again, with a sort of an offset angle from the path, we actually uh uh blew off effect blew off the limb. So that that was the last thing we got rid of. Because again the way you normally separate the limb is you under the latches and you use the thrusters on the service module to provide translation for us to get clearance. Well, the service module was already gone and it was dead anyway, so the tunnel had to be pressurized between the two vehicles. Then pyrotechnically, the limb was in escence blown away by the excess pressure in the tunnel area. So that was the hatches. Both hatches closed. So that's the way we assured separation of the limb to be a somewhat away for us off our normal entry path.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Just a couple of quick questions, Fred, our time was just about expired here, but never in terms of ever wanting to talk to you again about this. You're welcome here anytime, But just a couple of quick questions. Obviously, people of course around the world praying, and I say that lightly of course, for the actual return of both all three of you, of course, and godspeed to everyone who made this happen. But it obviously happened successfully. It's amazing. So talk to us here briefly. What's the importance and significance in your mind? Fred Hayes of the entire Apollo program. I love it, but I want to hear from somebody who really did the stuff, So talk about that.
Speaker 1: Well, the Power program is to me just a continuation of what NASA ought to be doing, which is exploration, and of course it was built up to that point through the earlier programs of Mercury, which kind of improved and humans with Survive in space to a Gemini, which got head of the game on some of the critical elements that would be needed to do the lunar miss And so it's just call it baby steps as we're trying to move out away from our Earth and eventually it maybe it'd take a very long time to think of Heaven humans located on places other than Earth, because we're kind of a single point failure with Earth. It's our spaceship, and we don't have a lunar module for the Earth. And as we know, things have happened on Earth that have have been major extinctions in the past, several in fact, if you would google that, and there's no saying that that won't happen again, so I think, but just in general, the mission of nassas to continue exploration and moving outward.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The Apollo thirteen movie, of course, directed by Ron Howard, produced by Brian Grazer. You know, sir, the person your persona is played by actor who's past built accent your quick analysis of that movie. I mean, I'm sure Tom Hanks and you have got together many times, but what's your feeling about the movie overall?
Speaker 1: Well, I'd say the first first time I watched it, I was too hung up with I'll call it technical errors, which is true of any call it trying to be real life prog. Hollywood is done about space. But excluding that, as I settled back in, I've seen it several more times, I think it held through and did an excellent job on call it the bottom line story, which is people in trouble, which we were challenges that had to be faced. Really through the expertise and training of a team both on the ground and ourselves executing what they figured out to do, that unabled it to have a good Hollywood ending and we got home.
Speaker 2: You know, Fred, It's an amazing story. And I want to thank you so much for joining me when we go to the bottom of the hour here. Please stay on the line as we go to the break here. But again I want to thank you, and of course a dedication, ladies and gentlemen, to the members of Apollo thirteen. Jim of course, Jim Lovell has been a guest here on this radio show today astronaut Fred Hayes, Lunar module pilot on Apollo thirteen and in loving memory of Jack Swygert Junior, the other crew member. All three made this dynamic group of men. Only twenty four humans have gone to the Moon, as far as Sale to the Moon, Loan to the Moon, and as you know better, sir, only twelve of walk on the surface. We hope to continue this conversation in the future with you. But Fred Hayes is the award winning person here. He's gotten so many medals, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to NASA Distinguished Service Medal, then that's Exceptional Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal with one Star, and so many others. Sir, I thank you for your military service and it's an honor to have you here on the Doctor Skyshaw. I'm hoping in the future that we might carry on a future discussion in more detail the great epic journey of us going to the Moon. President Kennedy's desire to get us to the Moon before, of course that decade was out successfully doing it. Fred Hayes, thank you for your service to America and long live the Apollo program and the memory of all the astronauts. Thank you, Fred Hayses. Stay on the line with us as we go to the bottom of the hour break that, of course, Astronaut Fred Hayes. Apollo thirteen Fame, Ladies and gentlemen, an amazing story about how engineers, scientists, astronauts, pilots all work together to bring three astronauts back from what might not have been a very successful outcome without the collective minds of great science and thinking outside of the box. I'm doctor Sky always great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, and I'm sure Astronaut Fred Hayes would agree. Doctor Sky reminds everyone to always remember to keep your eyes to the skies. Thank you, Fred Hayes.