Speaker 1: All right, let's get it started. Can you feel it? I don't mean the humidity that is already brutal as this heat wave continues. I mean the Friday feeling. The Friday vibes are here. We've made it. Good morning, Kentucky, Ina, Happy Friday to you. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News, Coffee and company with you here on News Radio eight forty wha. Yes, we've got a full crew, the one and only Scott Fitzgerald alongside.
Speaker 2: Morning Sir.
Speaker 1: You knew that, alread. Everybody knew Scotty was here. You could feel it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know about all that, but you're right.
Speaker 1: It's and it's gonna get hotter, Nick. Oh, it's gonna be brutal.
Speaker 2: It's gonna get hot.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be bad, but we'll get through. The company man himself, mister John Alden alongside. We've got Joe Lincoln in today helping us out with the news because John Shannon is out for a little bit of a little little mini vacation. So what do we do. We show off our depth. We go to the bullpen. We bring in Joe Lincoln and he'll be with us throughout the morning, and hopefully you will as well. I believe it is our oblig it is our duty to get you set for the weekend. We're gonna try our best. We can't make guarantees, but we I'm not gonna speak for anybody but by myself, but I feel pretty good about it. But again, when it comes to feeling good outside, no, not that. And it's gonna get worse, like it's gonna get worse, as she said, and there's nothing can do about it. No relief is on the way.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: It looks like next Thursday we'll see Tams dip back down into the mid sixties at night.
Speaker 1: So that'll feel I might get a sweater, dude.
Speaker 2: It seems like there's always that one magical moment where this it gets just god awful. Satan's breath hot, That's.
Speaker 1: What I feel like it is right now. Yeah, I'm not kidding you. I don't know how it compares as far as heat in decks, you know, compared to just temperatures, but I swear I've been to two football practices, flag football practicing at six pm this week, and at that time I feel like maybe I'm either just getting soft or the humidity is worse than like I've ever felt it. I know that's not the case. I'm sure it's been worse, but man, it's brutal. It is.
Speaker 2: I noticed that in parts I walk in Shelby Park. I just thought about that yesterday. There's a part that I walk and I turned the corner and you just feel like it hits you.
Speaker 1: It's disrespectful as what it is.
Speaker 2: But there's that one magical moment where it's almost like they turn the switch off and then it's gone. It's like you get really really white hot and then boom, it's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you get to I guess it's more so late August and then early September, you'll still see some really hot temperatures. But it does seem as if like that just that gross humidity has started to fade a little bit. And really, I mean, we've known this for a while if you live in this area. That's what makes it just brutal around here is just the the the air quality and just the thick air. And I'm looking behind us here at our screen. Mat Melosovich is showing the current temperatures at seventy eight and again it's gonna it's gonna warm up, and it's gonna be it is gonna be sticky.
Speaker 2: But I remember that you were talking about sitting at your son's practice. I remember that magical time when we didn't have to sit at the practices anymore, and that, dude, it was such a It's like you were talking earlier, When you don't have to pay daycare anymore, when your kids go to school, Yeah, when you don't have to sit at those practices. I love watching my kids play sports, don't get me wrong, But when you don't have to sit at that practice, especially at that age.
Speaker 1: You didn't intend. You didn't intend to do it, but you put it on a te for me. What we're doing is we're babysitting while they tried to pick up concepts of flag football at four and five years old. And we're doing it in excruciating conditions and many moments throughout that hour, three times per week, I think to myself, is this a joke? Is somebody playing a joke on me? What are we doing here? This is overkill in a major way. And also like it's it's not football practice, it's it's I mean, they are working on pulling flags, but uh yeah, I guess you got to start somewhere as far as just you know, getting ready for practice, showing up and being a part of a team. But at times I'm thinking, you know what I could, I could baby sit at home inside, and you're right, and.
Speaker 2: I think, but I think your son will at least this is what I found out my son did. I remember the first few times I quit going to practice, he was like, hey, you're not going to be at practice, like you would never acknowledge you before.
Speaker 1: But then when you're not there, they go hey once they I feel like for me, and I'm sure it'll be this way with my son when there's when he just knows we're not there, it'll be in his head and then he'll get distracted in play and then just never think about it again.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm hopeful that that happens. But yeah, we're gonna get you step for the weekend. Scotty's setting up to Cincinnati tomorrow some time with your son and the family up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna move him in. We're moving him into Xavier nice and it's that time of here and ufl moves in or no, they moved in already.
Speaker 1: I believed you, John, your little your miss Daisy is too young for it to become a thing just yet. But was there a moment, Scott, whenever your children, either of them were, they were they attached to more you or your wife than to where it became a thing. Because my wife's leaving town this weekend, so it's just me and the kiddos, and you know, I'll get by. It'll be fun. But like they're gonna just ask me every five seconds, where's mommy? Where's mommy? Where's mommy? And I told her when you drop them off to school today, you make sure you let him know you're leaving. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna be the one that that takes the heat when they find out you're gone all weekend. No, don't put that on me.
Speaker 2: Mommy does this, she does this with us. But then I did notice that like a favorite of mysel Sunday nights when my wife was out of town, he likes to go to b W three.
Speaker 3: He still likes that to this day.
Speaker 1: Good vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And so he looked forward to that there's certain things your kids like about you that they'll love when the other one's well, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I can distract him. Then I just know, Wait a second, they'll look around. Wait a second, where's Mommy's It's it's been an hour since since you gave me an update. So I'll love it with you, bro, We'll get by love it all right. Let's have a good morning, fellas. Yes, right on, we'll come back here in a few minutes after an update on trafficking weather. Set the table, big, big morning for you. Mayor Greenberg going to join us here in studio at eight o'clock, so just be prepared for that and we'll get you. We'll do what we do every Friday. Get yourself for the weekend. Right here on news RADIOA forty Whas. It is five sixteen here at Kentucky and his morning news, coffee and company with you. It's news RADIOA forty Whas. Take us with you wherever you want, wherever you go. Well, you do have to have some level of connection, some type of service, which most people do, but that is the power of the iHeartRadio app. You can also listen live at whas dot com. So we do have some early morning issues on Waterson eastbound at Westport Road blocking the left right lanes, so use caution. As of right now, this image, this still that I'm looking at from the traffic cams, doesn't look as if there's enough there's enough cars on the roadways there to really cause an issue. But maybe that maybe that changes once people get out in about this morning. But again waters in eastbound Westport Road, there's some type of issue. Maybe it's a stalled vehicle. Doesn't look like an accident from what I can tell, but the left and right lanes are blocked, So use caution, Bobby Ellis, we'll get us caught up. In fact, actually I don't think we have Bobby l Let's we have someone up. We have somebody filling in for Bobby this morning. So either way, we'll get you caught up and let you know which you need to know when it comes to the traffic this morning. And also we'll keep you updated on the forecast. But I think we already know what's to be expected overall, and that is just brutal humidity and heat that is not going away anytime soon. But we'll get the details from our team over at WLKY with Matt Melosovich. So, as I mentioned a moment ago, May Greenberg gonna join us at eight o'clock today. I also believe I haven't got the RSDP just yet, but I believe we're gonna get back to our co our Friday conversation with l and PD spokesman Dwight Mitchell. He was out on vacation a couple of weeks ago. I was out last week, So I believe we're going to reconnect today. So we're gonna be busy this morning, and certainly a lot to get into. One of the biggest conversations so far, not just really this week, but really for quite some time now, is the violence here in Louisville and juvenile's children essentially being involved in it at a level that just seems like something we've never really seen before. I will say because I do think it's important to mention that despite it feeling just at least from my perspective, that it's at an all time high when it comes to juveniles being involved in the violent crime as of I think it was the end of June it was actually down, not much, but down, which I guess that in a way is good. But also the fact that I now can look at data and say that this has been a thing for two straight years. I mean that's clearly an issue. Everybody is well aware of it, and yesterday, I mean, I think it was an encouraging, really a very encouraging thing to hear that there is a prosecutor or the Louisville prosecutors are basically going to start targeting parents because of this. I mean, there's been so many high profile youth involved shootings, including what's happened in the last week or so that Jefferson County commonwealths Attorney Jerina Weathers, I mean, she was pretty direct with a warning on Thursday, saying that parents will be held accountable when their children break the law. So SB twenty is a new Kentucky law that's going to make it easier to try juveniles as adults in serious gun related cases. And I know that. I mean, I don't have everything figured out, trust me. Sometimes I realize it may sound like that, but when it comes to making improvements in this area, that is clearly an issue. I just don't know how getting violent people off the streets if they're juveniles, if they're not, that is going to be a big step here in the process. And it sounds like, regardless of your age, you're going to be held accountable like an adult if you are committing violent crime, which is really the way that it should be. Here is we've got multiple clips I'm gonna share with you guys throughout the morning here. I'm sure you'll hear some in the newscast as well, But here's miss Withers talking about SB twenty.
Speaker 4: Senate Bill twenty added a provision that has helped us get the most serious cases involving those juveniles that I was just sharing with you. That starts in district court. It provides an automatic transfer for circuit court where youth little offenders are charged with a Class A B or C fellamy and had attained at least fifteen years at the time of the commission of the alleged offense.
Speaker 1: So again a pretty direct warning that if you commit a serious felony with a gun, you will be convicted as an adult. And they're going to come after parents one after another. And that is that is a slippery slope if you will, as far as holding parents criminally responsible for violent crime that their children commit, and I mean, I'd be willing to maybe it's just ignorance on mind that to me, that's a difficult thing to really it's a can of worms. I think it's not even possible to open up without it becoming potentially just a mess. But something's got to give. There's got to be something done in order to hold people accountable and also prevent things from happening like this. All right, we got an update of trapping a weather coming your way right here, right now again, it's Kentucky and it's morning news, Coffee and company with you here on News radio eight forty whas. How about those broadcast pipes from Joe Lincoln. Good stuff. Happy to have him along board this morning, filling in for John Shannon. It is five thirty five here Kentucky, had his morning news, Coffee and Company with you, and just hearing from the family members of those that lost their life to the recent gun violence heer in Louisville. It's it's one of those things that really does make I don't think anybody just assumes, you know, out of sight, well, I don't know. Maybe some people just they're in their own bubble, they're in their own world, and they don't think much about it. They may be hear the the headlines as background noise. When it comes to radio programs like this, one or television. But you know when you hear from somebody who is is pleading for for help, uh, and and it and clearly at that time already in a in a bad way because of just uh. I mean I imagine that there's there's layers of emotions in one including probably shock. But yeah, just just I can't imagine. And uh, some's got to give. And and hopefully those out there that do maybe have some information that that just for whatever reason choose not to uh to share that information that can help keep that can help keep keep those accountable. Hopefully hearing from from those affected directly can can can send you down the path of realizing, hey, let's let's help provide this family with U with some closure, with some justice to see those that that commit these kind of acts held accountable. So, as of right now, the shooter still still at large, and we do have some more details as far as the second arrest that was made on on Wednesday. So the father who did turn his son in, we talked about that yesterday. Again, I encourage you to go check out the interview at WLK. Why if you haven't yet, because it's just to me, it was powerful to hear the perspective from a parent in the situation to where they could see their kids going down a bad path. They tried directly as best they could to encourage their child to maybe realize that they're going down that bad path. And in the interview you hear him discussed sort of the issues with the mother and the father because they're not together, and he tried to to I think, file for custody and didn't get anywhere. And now he had to turn his son in for being one of the shooters on at the school bus stop last Thursday. So the second arrest that was made this individual, we now know that was the fifteen year old that they took into custody that again was not charged for what took place on Wednesday, but was the second shooter that again has now been charged from last week. So I know it would be harder than well, I shouldn't say this because I don't know, and I hope I never know, but turning your kid in is doing the right thing, and I would imagine that would be hard to do. But if more people did this, I mean, it can only help right now when it comes to help being on the way. When you look at the comments made yesterday from commonwealth attorneys. Yeah, common wast attorney Drena Weathers. The Senate Bill twenty is going to aim to really just hold people more so more accountable, and also by doing that, help with the prevention of what we're dealing with here in Louisville. And I tell you what, if everything that was said yesterday, if there is legitimate action taken upon what was said, I mean, I don't see a scenario where that won't at least help to some extent, hopefully and maybe help in a big way. So here's a little bit more from her comments yesterday.
Speaker 4: If you are committing adult crimes with a gun, you're going to be prosecuted as such. When juvenile cases get waves to us, slaves and gentlemen, they are all prosecuted as adult cases. That is what's happening with our eighty cases that we have with us right now.
Speaker 1: So what I would like to know is the and this is just more so and I'm not like, this is more of me just being curious to know what level it gets to, because clearly there are a lot of juveniles that are maybe not being apprehended or snatched up because they're out there firing off shots and shooting people or maybe murdering people. But they're they're involved in clearly some criminal matters and you can tell that if there's not something done to really let them know that they're going down the wrong path and the next time it's going to be bad. I mean again, And you could do that and they may still be you know, violent criminals because you know, it's just what's happening. But it's nice to know that when there is severe, you know, crime like what we've seen in the last week or so, that they are going to be tried as adults. That's that's that's what that's what should happen. But at just my curiosity is what's the where's the line? Right Like, at what point do you actually give someone that you know a pass essentially because they're not an adult? Right Like? Because clearly there are some juveniles that are being apprehended, taken into custody and then somebody's able to come and get them, and I assume that's just those that aren't maybe they haven't hit the threshold of being considered you know, they have they haven't caught charges strong enough to where they they're going to be held and it's going to turn into what you know, going to turn into it a trial that likely leads to incarceration at least hopefully. All Right, we'll have more from from her from her press conference yesterday. Again that it's at Arena weathers. Let's get a quick time out. We'll come back after an update on traffic and weather, and then we'll bring in the one and only Rory O'Neill of NBC News right here on news radio eight forty whas ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, we made and it's Friday, Happy Friday. See here, it's Kentucky and its morning news on News Radio eight forty whas coffee and company with you, and we have Rory O'Neil of NBC News with us. Rory, what can you tell us about the latest economic trends here in America? We've got interest rate cuts that people are begging for, Corporate bankruptcies are surging. What's the latest here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, that mixed bag making it difficult to read the tea leaves here. You know, earlier this week we got that consumer price index number, the inflation data for what you and I pay for goods, and it wasn't as bad as many had feared. In the market's rallied. But then yesterday the producer price Index came out and it was way higher than expected. But still the markets type gest died that news rather well, I thought. But it looks like we're still on track to have a couple of rate cuts, maybe starting as early as next month when the Fed meets again. But at the same time, we're also seeing a disturbing indicator, an increase in the number of big corporations filing for bankruptcy. And some of it is related to the economy, some of it is just well capitalism for yeah, you know, the companies that are in trouble include del Monte Foods Forever twenty one, Joanne Fabric Kodak was one that was warning of bankruptcy, so with Spirit Airlines as well. So we're getting some mixed messaging from the economy. We've got, you know, the markets at some points are reaching record highs. We have even crypto like bitcoin just down off record highs but still doing well. And then at the same time bankruptcies.
Speaker 1: Not to put you on the spot and have you just give us data off the top of your head, which I'm sure you don't have. But when it comes to bankruptcy, just that word is it's not a good sign. But there are many corporations that bankruptcy filing for it in the different ways that you can. It can more so just be part of a strategy to try to It doesn't mean that it's all gloom and doom, and oftentimes filing for bankruptcy ends up leading you know, down the line, they end up no longer being in business. So it's never a good sign. But there's also ways it can happen to where it's just part of the strategic plan to kind of get back on track.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's some of it. But you know when you look at that number then month to month and figure let's say ten percent are always in that realm of you know, they're doing it for strategic purposes, but that still leaves the other ninety percent are out there. So we saw sixty three bankruptcy filings for public and private companies in June, seventy one of them then for the month of July, So that may be this indicator that something's happening. But again, when Kodak is filing for bankruptcy, that's not a sign that the economy is failing. It's a sign that we don't buy film.
Speaker 1: Anymore exactly, and ignorance on my part, I'm sure. But if you told me that dak Kodak filed bankruptcy ten years ago and shut down, I don't know if I believed it that long ago. But yeah, they're one of the better examples I could think of right now to where time is just not on their side.
Speaker 3: Well, right, and I think that we'll innovate or die, right and I think that I think they've gone through a couple of bankruptcies in the past. But you know, also forever twenty one, we don't go to the mall anymore. That's not Forever twenty one's problem. Necessarily changing behaviors by consumers.
Speaker 1: That's sheen and the different ways people buy clothes now, there's no doubt. Yeah, having a business that's relying upon people going to malls and supporting retail stores, that's that's again another thing where Tomming's just just not on your Saba Royo Nil NBC News is our guest joining us here on news Radio eight forty whas so I'm an AT and T customer. There could be a settlement coming with some money our way, those that are AT and T customers, What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had a couple of data breaches. So AT and T will pay one hundred and seventy seven million dollars in the class action settlement related to a couple of different data breaches in twenty twenty four to find out if you qualify. Here's the website. You ready to remember this? Write it down, don't ask me again. I'm going to say it twice. Telecom Data Settlement dot Com. Telecom Data Settlement dot com. Check out that website. It's got all the details. It's pretty complicated. But look, some of the compensation could be up to twenty five hundred bucks, so nothing this needs out there.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, so Telecom Data Settlement dot Com. Do we go to you directly to get our checks? Rory?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I'll be writing checks by hand myself, my right hand all cripped up after signing my names of many times.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Again, it's it is Telecom Data Settlement dot Com.
Speaker 2: Rory.
Speaker 3: Have a good week in Nick, reach out and touch someone else. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: Okays, a good weekend week, take care of that is Rory on the ol NBC News. Yeah, so I am an AT and C customer. I'll tell you what I'm going to tell telecom data settlement dot com and seeing if I can put some money in my pocket. Who wouldn't, right, I've never been someone that uh was able to uh collect on money because of a settlement, and I was somehow. I mean, there have been times where I do feel like there's been like a there's been a letter and I was I'm one of many people, but like I don't know, it seemed like too much work. And if I didn't feel like I truly was out in a victim of some type of you know situation to where I needed, you know, to to receive a settlement, uh, it would be hard for me to really follow through on it. But again, hey, times are hard for people. You know what this economy looks like. If AT and T wants to cut me a check, I'll take it, and again I'll get it from Ory O'Neil. We've got traving weather updates on the way. It looks as if there's still some issues on waters and eastbound, but from what I can tell, no real big backups just yet, but that could change of course, if that's not taken care before everybody gets out and starts their day, so we'll get the latest on that. Also updates on weather and another sports update coming your way right here on news radio waight forty whas