Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 4: Let's I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 5: So just thank you, give me are your attention, your fire, not a piss.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion thing.
Speaker 7: It put a small soft time they get up people. What they want to die in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache. One of a con. This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 6: Hell time to the sound grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David vas saying.
Speaker 7: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Dodger Stadium. After the Dodgers scored three runs in the ninth inning and make it a celebratory mood. After Clayton Kershaw cords is three thousand strikeout in the sixth inning with two outs to reach a milestone that only nineteen other pitchers in baseball history have ever reached, and he can thank the Dodger offense once again in the ninth inning for coming to the rescue a three run ninth inning for the Dodgers, culminating in another future Hall of Famer Freddie Freeman delivering the walk off basin to score another future Hall of Famer and show Hey Otani to give the Dodgers a five to four win. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we are going to hear from Clayton Kershawn just a moment. We do have a full board to calls. We will get to you. And I just want to applaud the Dodger fans here at Dodger Stadium tonight is sellout crowd because you showed out and showed up again and showed that you you are the best fans in baseball. I know there's a lot of East Coast bist out there, people go to sleep early, but you are the best fans in baseball. And I loved how you understood the moment from start to finish. As Kershaw came out of the dugout for his warm ups, the fans that were here standing ovation. When he came out for the first inning, the energy was up standing ovation. When he was struggling in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and even sixth inning. You erupted and lifted him up and helped him focus to will him to these three strikeouts on a night that it wasn't easy to get to. And I've known Clayton not I don't know him like a family member, but I've covered him as a work friend for a long time, and I feel like he was too aware of the moment. And we'll hear from him in a second, but I believe if he was being on he would concede that he was trying for those three strikeouts. And that's not something he has done in his career to try for strikeouts. They just come in the process of games. Obviously, when he needs a big strikeout or has needed a big strikeout, he finds a way, and he found a way tonight to get that third strikeout. The stage was set for him to do it here, but for the Dodger fans to be able to give him the curtain call, to give him the moment he deserved for eighteen years of leaving it all out there on the mound every single time win, lose, heartache, elation, all of that. That was the right thing to do and he stepped up to the moment, but it wouldn't have been as special without the fans stepping up to the moment as well. So kudos to the Dodger fans that we're here tonight. All right, let's head downstairs right now to hear from the man of the hour, Clayton.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I made it interesting for sure, made it take too long, honestly, didn't pitch that great tonight. Slider was so bad. But this was such a special night all the way around.
Speaker 7: It really was.
Speaker 8: Couldn't have asked for anything more, really, it just wash. It was so fun to get to be out there, and you know after the fifth, thankfully I got one strikeout in the fifth, so it was only one that I needed left. And it's a little bit harder when you're actually trying to strike people out. Uh, I've never really had to do that before.
Speaker 7: It was it was hard to.
Speaker 8: Give the White Sox credit to They didn't make it easy on me at all. So it was a it was a tough night all the way around, but what a way to end it with with Freddy coming up clutch there and yeah, just to see the fans reaction and you know, running back out there for the sixth and hearing that crowd roar was was up there for me in special moments. It really was so just super thing thankful for tonight, Super thankful for my teammates. I told my teammates, you know, just you know, individual awards are great, but if you don't have anybody to celebrate with, it's just it doesn't matter, you know. And so for to have that room full of guys, coaches, strength staff, training staff, front office, everybody just really you know, be happy for me is just is just awesome. And they were in it with me, and it just was a it was an amazing night. So just a lot of gratefulness on this end for sure. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Charlie was super fared up. I think him and Freddie reminded me the most of how many strikeouts I had left, So it was great. But all of them too. Cali is so excited, and even the two boys, little boys, I'm not sure if they knew exactly what was going on, but.
Speaker 5: They were.
Speaker 8: They're just super excited too. So it was you know, and I feel bad for all and I know she was nervous. I made her last six innings out there, just stressed. Out that I wasn't gonna get it and had to go to Milwaukee to do it. So, but you know, it's it's just a it's a special thing to get to see them on the front row up there on the lowers level. It's kind of been Ellen's spot for you know, the whole time I've been here, So it's it's a great feeling to see them up there too. It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: The winger carew has kind of gone the last few years.
Speaker 6: You kind of had to grind things out.
Speaker 9: Didn't think me more tonight do You had to grind the tops And I really pushed for that.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: I wanted to come easy, Yeah, absolutely not. I rather most rather just got it done in the first So but you know, now, looking back on it, with us winning the game and uh, the last pitch of that i'd be in the last strikeout, I don't think I would change it now. I mean, I give up less runs probably, but for us to come out on top like that and to be able to end it like that was pretty awesome.
Speaker 7: And you're on a select list of just pitchers. Is there a name on that list that really resonates, that hits home and makes you really get some perspective on.
Speaker 10: Where you are.
Speaker 8: It's a it's an incredible list. I'm super Uh, it's super grateful to be a part of it. I think I think for me the most recent you know, with CC is probably what I when I remember most obviously having Sures and Verlander on there too, like guys that I basically pitched my whole career with, and it's it's special to finally be in that group with them. But uh, you know, I remember watching c C and when he got traded over to the Brewers and he pitched on three days rest constantly to try to get him into the playoffs all the way through, all the way through, all the way through and just really put his team on his back, and it really just kind of resonated with me, like what what a starting pitcher can be and what what he can do for a team like that, and uh just kind of no regard for himself doing everything he can to get his team into the playoffs and uh, and he succeeded. He did it, so I just uh to see him get that thousands, I just have a lot of respect for him. I think that was that was pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: You doctor fans have been with you since you were eighteen years of age.
Speaker 11: When you went to warm up, you've been signaled to him.
Speaker 12: What was it like to get that.
Speaker 3: Long innovation tonight?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, we've been through it.
Speaker 13: I mean we have.
Speaker 8: I've been through it a lot ups and downs here, more downs than I care to admit, you know, but you know, the fans tonight it really meant a lot, you know. And usually I try not to acknowledge anything before the game, just because trying to lock it in a little bit. But it was too hard to too hard not to tonight. It was just, uh, it was overwhelming to feel that. And yeah, it's just I don't have a lot of great words other than it was just really special.
Speaker 12: To the stadium kind of hanging on to every.
Speaker 8: Pitch especially Yeah, man, the first thing that started great. You know, I got a couple of guys at two strikes and couldn't finish them off, and you can just feel that they wanted it for me, so and you know, I didn't didn't have a lot of strikeouts tonight, so it wasn't a I didn't really do my part, but you could feel the tension and the fans and they just they were trying to will me to do it, and yeah, just just grateful for sure, Lady.
Speaker 11: You've accomplish about everything a picture can.
Speaker 7: Like, where does dish one rank for you?
Speaker 8: I don't know, man, I think other than World Series, you know, getting to be a part of a World Series team, the individual stuff is is only as important as the people around you, you know, So I don't I don't know exactly how to rank them other than it's a super special list to get to be on. I understand that, and I'm super thankful for that. And at the end of the day, getting to celebrate with your teammates whatever it is is really cool.
Speaker 7: All Right. There's Clayton Kershaw in the interview room just about fifteen minutes ago after reaching such an important career milestone in his Hall of Fame caliber career, and you know, just a guy that played his entire career for the same team. He's not going to put on another uniform the rest of his career. And I feel like that's what makes this so special, because he has become just one of three pitchers in baseball history to reach three thousand strikeouts having played for just one team in his entire career. That's Walter Johnson and Bob Gibson along with Clayton Kershaw. So those are the only three that have played for one team and reached this milestone. That's how special and rare this is. And speaking of rare, who's the next pitcher you can think of that is going to hit three thousand strikeouts? The next guy that's closest is Chris Sale, but he's Kershaw's age and he's about five hundred strikeouts away. So you know, this might be a long time until we see another pitcher record three thousand and strikeouts in their careers. So certainly a very special nighted here Dodger Stadium with one of their most special players, not only on this team right now or in the last twenty five years, but in their entire franchise's history, certainly since they moved to Los Angeles. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Brock. You were at Dodger Stadium tonight? Did you stay the whole way or did you just come for Kershaws three thousand?
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh no, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: We were there the whole time, baby, It was It was really beautiful. I made it a point to get there early. And you know, it was really impressive. The guys that I was sitting with, we all kind of noticed, you know, it was it was. It was filled up in the first couple innings. People were at their seats in the first couple of innings to watch this milestone. People made it a point to be there because they wanted to see that. They wanted to see history for our own, you know, Dodger Dodger bourne and that was that was really special to uh, just to celebrate that with everybody. Everybody was kind of willing him and into hearing his interview and how he uh, how he felt it. We all were sending it and and it was cool to see that reciprocated.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 5: We were trying to will that that sixth inning was was a beautiful thing. But uh, yeah, it was. It was a good It was a beautiful night, man.
Speaker 7: All right, brock Well said. And certainly, uh, it's got to feel good if you're a Dodger fan that was here cheering him on to hear him acknowledge you. Let's go out to Phil. You're at Dodger Stadium tonight. How you doing, Phil, I'm doing great.
Speaker 15: Thank you so much for taking my call, David. I listened to this show every day. I look forward to you coming on before the games on Petros and Money. It's just it's not hard to be on here.
Speaker 7: Show.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I could tell you take it seriously. The fans we appreciate you, man. So yeah, just to share my experience, I was at work today and all I could think about was the game, and I just at a certain point decided I got to leave work early. I've got to be there. Bought a ticket last minute, and just the way that Dave Roberts described I was listening earlier, every pitch from the beginning, that energy, it was just electric. Is one of the best decisions I made to go to the game. Then when Kershaw got that last strikeout at the end, with the tension you were feeling the whole time, like is he going to do it?
Speaker 3: It was incredible.
Speaker 15: And to the question you've been asking other people, absolutely, I stayed the entire time and got to see that incredible walk off too.
Speaker 7: I mean, just think about that, right, Phil, you come for Kershaw, you see him get his three thousandth career strikeout. He's going to the Hall of Fame. Then in the bottom of the ninth inning, you got a Hall of Famer at the plate. You got a Hall of Famer scoring the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning. How many teams only this year can say that, But how many teams can say that period? Maybe the Yankees twenty five years ago with Jeter and those guys. I mean, this team is full of superstars. And let's not forget Will Smith, who had a tremendous at back to even allow Freddy to come up. And you know who knows, by the time it's all said and done, Will Smith may be up there with the all time great catchers of this generation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 15: And just just seeing pot has and Will Smith early get that run support trying to, you know, really show Kershaw that the team was there for him. It just from start to finish. What an amazing game, What an amazing team. I hope Munthsy's okay and gets back soon, because these guys are really specials. All Star votes show how much we appreciate what they're doing.
Speaker 3: And I hope he's okay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love it. Yeah, I hope Max months he's okay. He's gonna have an MRI on his left knee tomorrow. You know, I'm not gonna speculate about the severity of the injury. Dave Roberts was saying that right now from the test that they did that they are hopeful that this is not going to be devastating to Monsey's season, But you never know until you get the results of that MRI. But we're all keeping our fingers crossed because that's the only downer about tonight is that Max Munsey was helped off the field after Michael A. Taylor going head first with his helmet going full speed and Munseie's leg in the wrong spot at the wrong time and injured his left knee. So hopefully he's okay, because I mean, he's fought back to do everything he can to be a big time player and it would be a shame to see his season derailed because of that injury. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers walk it off five to four against the Chicago Whites in a celebratory night Outside of the month. See injury. Clayton Kershaw recording his three thousandth career strikeout, joining Randy Johnson, Steve Carlton, and CC Sabathia as the only four lefties to have three thousand strikeouts. And as far as just the context of this greatness that we have seen in Clayton Kershaw, I know he's been self deprecating about that it's taking longer than it should have for him to reach this milestone. But even with the injuries the last couple of years and abbreviated seasons, he has now pitched twenty seven hundred and eighty one innings. He is the fourth quickest pitcher to record three thousand strikeouts based on innings, surpassing Nolan Ryan who did it after twenty eight hundred and two innings. So he's the fourth quickest pitcher innings wise, to record three thousand strikeouts. Strikeouts per nine innings we talked about it last night is the fourth best of any of these players on the list. Max Scherzer is first, then Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, and then Clayton Kershaw, who is in his career averaging ten strikeouts per nine innings eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Javier who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Javier, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hey Dave, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 4: And I think the word that they're using, everyone's using his special and I'm sorry I lost my voice, But just the buzz. I've been to a lot of games. I grew up four miles from the stadium, but it was just almost otherworldly buzz. And how the baseball guys made us wait for the third strikeout. It almost felt like it wasn't gonna come.
Speaker 7: You can tell I know, right because that was going to be his that was going to be his last hitter. Strikeout or not inning over or not Vinnie Cap would have been his last hitter. And how deflating would it have been, Javier, for Clayton Kershaw to get his three thousand strikeout in Milwaukee. I mean, come on, we don't want to see that. We didn't want to see it in Denver. We wanted to see it here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wouldn't have been the same, but what a moment. I was lucky enough to see as a first debut as a Dodger at Dodger Stadium and just very blessed to see this three thousand strikeout and yeah, thank you for the thank you for the show that you put on and letting us talk about it.
Speaker 7: All right, Javier, thank you. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I don't know about you, but it sounds like the first few colors that we have spoken to this had playoff atmosphere for a game against the worst team in the American League, the Chicago White Sox, in the first week of July. Maybe that was just me, but I had the feeling coming to the ballpark today. I had that type of playoff feel. I knew it was gonna be a sellout tonight. It was an important night, and I feel like we had a lot of anxiety going into tonight, a lot of excitement, anxiety and you know, ups and downs. It was evident by even the crowd here. There would be a routine groundball to Mookie bed sure out and everybody's like, ah, not a strikeout. Okay, you got an out, but ah a flyout. Come on, Kershaw, get us that strikeout. But this is who he is. And even talking to Miguel Rojas before the game today, talking to Key k Hernandez and Denver all these guys appreciate Kershaw not for the three thousand strikeouts or the two World Series or the three Cy Youngs or the MVP. They appreciate that here's this guy, eighteen years into his career, still loving the grind, still enjoying the process, going out there after having left knee surgery, left foot surgery. And I could tell you, I mean, let's be honest here, do you think his foot feels great every time he goes out there? I would say no, But he's still out there. And that's what the players appreciate. And that's why they're all in it with him because of those reasons. And that's what Miguel and Key K were telling me. And those guys have seen a lot, They've they've been around a lot. Uh. That's the respect everybody has for him. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Don who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? Hi? Don, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Hi David, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 7: Doing great? How about you?
Speaker 16: Great game?
Speaker 17: All right?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm doing terrific. You know. I, my son and I went to the first game that Kershaw pitched to Dodger Stadium and my son asked me, who's pitching tonight, and I told him some kid I never heard of named Kershaw and we've been following him for the late eighteen years since. And uh with my son called me up. He lives in Tennessee. He said, you gotta go to this game. So I'm I decided to come all the way from Escondito.
Speaker 3: To the game.
Speaker 1: I don't generally go Tomart, move boy. I'll tell you it felt like I was at the World Series.
Speaker 7: Yeah right, it was one of those nights.
Speaker 1: Grand Slam walkoff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, thanks for the phone call. Don appreciate it. Yeah. I wouldn't say it was like a World Series game where Freddie hitting the walk off Grand Slam in Game one, but it certainly had the pomp and circumstance feel around Dodger Stadium. And that's hard to do. I mean, you go to any other ballpark in America tonight, Uh, first week of July, you don't have this type of atmosphere for a game. Uh with the best team in baseball against one of the worst teams in the American League and one of the worst teams in baseball. You just don't get that type of atmosphere, and we had it even last night. I mean there was no milestone to be had. It was Yamamoto on the mound, first game back after the road trip, and that certainly brings a lot of people to the stadium. But you're not gonna find what you saw tonight. And that's you know, that's why I say sometimes now that we live in La La Land, because this is not normal for other teams. Other teams maybe have one star in the lineup, maybe one starting pitcher in their rotation. They have to scratch and claw and find a way to win every single night. The Dodgers have put together a juggernaut. A juggernaut. They have at least three future Hall of Famers hitting in the first night, and you can make an argument that one day Will Smith is going to be an All Star. I mean, he's that good of a hitting catcher and he's pretty good throwing runners out. So just appreciate what's going on here. I know we throw out the phrase the Golden Era of Dodger baseball. This is on a different level. This is a different chapter to all that. There was one chapter from twenty twelve to about twenty twenty three, and then Otani showed up, and now this is just on another level. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're taking it to midnight tonight on Dodger Talk, a special night here at Dodger Stadium, and we got a full board of calls, so we're staying with you until midnight. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the White Sox thanks to Freddie Freeman and others. Miguel in San Diego. Clear that throat, ready to go? What do you got?
Speaker 10: Oh? Wow, yes, thank you. Definitely cleared the throat. I mean, I can't overstate the greatness of Kershaw. We can all talk about it, right Lefty, same team, You can go on and on. I had a story to share. I was actually a member of the press in two thousand and eight in his rookie season and had a press credential, and you know, it was new to all of that, and I remember going down into the locker room after a particularly poor start from Kershaw and his rookie season, which happens with rookie pitchers. Look at Misowski today even but you know, a very hyped prospect, you know, go down a lot of pressure, go down there, and there's the whole media, everybody in his face. I mean I was just I saw, you know, the lights, the microphones, and he sat there at his locker and he dealt with all of it. And it was like he was a kid. You know, he was just a kid, and he still handled it and and you know, took responsibility and sat there and answered the questions. And I just remember thinking to myself, like, wow, like how tough that must be. Like I felt bad for him, you know that he was doing that. I mean, you know, you're in the lost Rookie.
Speaker 7: That's a rookie, and that's the rookie groin pains and the exposure to that type of life. And I could tell you that he hasn't changed. He doesn't shy away from taking responsibility and is always wanting more from himself. Thanks for the phone call, Miguel appreciated. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. You know. Obviously I don't know if you've heard this story before, but Matthew Stafford and Clayton Kershaw played youth sports together in Highland Park and Dallas. I know, right, shocking, you've never heard that before, but it's true. Stafford and Kershaw did together. They went to the same high school together, and here they are now pitching in the same city. Stafford winning the Super Bowl, Kershaw a two time World Series champion, and I love seeing Stafford out here for Kershaw's first start of this season with his kids with his Kershaw jersey on, So that was really cool. It reminds you of high school where the football players support the baseball team and the baseball team supports the football team. And Kurt Sandovil of ABC seven did a great job of contacting the Rams and getting Matthew Stafford to record a video message about this moment, this milestone, this career of a guy that he's known since they were ten years old. So here's what Matthew Stafford had to say in his salute to Clayton Kershaw on ABC seven today.
Speaker 12: I always knew Clayton was going to be special, not because of the stuff that he had, but the way that he competed. I think you still see that to this day. Obviously he's competing for the end of his career, but he's also competing every time he goes and touches the mound, grabs the baseball. So he's one of the few guys I feel like at the pitcher position where when he goes out there, he knows he's got the whole team on his back.
Speaker 7: He's had that since he.
Speaker 16: Was a kid.
Speaker 12: I was lucky enough to play catcher for him for a long time and see that attitude and that grit out there on the mound. So so proud of him, so proud of his career. Awesome to be able to, you know, watch him do his thing for so long. I know, as a Dodger fan, as a Clayton fan, I speak for everybody and just say congratulations and how you know an amazing accomplishment. Is really proud of.
Speaker 7: Him, all right. That's Matthew Stafford, I believe from Hawaii because that's where the Rams are for their OTAs. So that's a pretty cool message from a guy that's known Clayton a long time. Not gonna say they've hung out a ton, but certainly they have a connection. And that's really special that he was thinking of Kershaw on a night like tonight eight six six seven two, five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers walk off the White Socks tonight, five to four. It was cool also to see Austin Barnes, who was dfa'ed by the Dodgers earlier this year, give Kershaw a shout out on his Instagram page. And there's been reports that Austin Barnes has signed a minor league deal with the San Francisco Giants. So I'm sure it would have been a little awkward for Austin Barnes to show up at Dodgers Stadium tonight, but I'm sure he had a little bit of fomo because those two guys have a great friendship and obviously a strong connection. Let's go out to Thomas who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Thomas, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey, David Ains, want to salute you. You just said, see you such a great job hosting these radio shows, and the passion that you have comes through. I was at the game tonight with my father. You know, as you said before, you know, the Dodgers are writing another chapter in the historic history. We got a chance to be a Game one of the World Series last year was Freddy's walk off, and to see that tonight. One of the things I appreciated about tonight was we got there super early and you got to see when Clayton was warming up, you know, he was in left field and before he was stretching, he kind of took a second to you could see him kind of like take it in. And I think he shared that in his postgame presser. And one is I really appreciated is how real he is with that, you know, the previous college just talking about, you know, how he takes all the wins and he also takes all the losses, but he takes it all. And for a professional athlete of his caliber, for the history and everything, all of his accomplishments, it's just been awesome. My question for you is where does of all the years you've been hosting the radio, where does this accomplishment rank for you?
Speaker 7: It ranks really high, Thomas. I've been fortunate enough to travel and cover the Dodgers and host this show for the last fourteen years, and basically that's a big chunk of Krushaw's career. And I remember being in Milwaukee back in twenty seventeen when he got his two thousand strikeout, and my daughter was having her first ballet recital, and I was in Milwaukee there covering Kershaw and doing this show and my daughter, who was, you know, just five years old, having her first recital, And I just remember that a lot, and I just remember missing a lot of things with my kids to be here for moments like tonight. But I got tickets for my wife to bring the kids tonight because I thought it was a historic night, a fun night where you buy into a sport like baseball when you're here in person to watch it. So you being here with your dad obviously meant a lot to you. And after Kershaw and I was able to do my thing up here, I went down to see them around the seventh inning. But yeah, it's it's a thing you want to be here with and you want to share with your family and friends. For sure.
Speaker 9: Hey man, Yeah, I've been I've been following since the peatures some money days and keep up the great work.
Speaker 7: Thanks Thomas A.
Speaker 12: P It.
Speaker 7: Also, you know, there's a connection of family wise, because my wife and I were both here for Kershaw's major league debut back in two thousand and eight. She was here with her group of friends, I was here covering it. Obviously, I remember never doing this before, but going down to the bullpen to watch this kid that we heard so much about warm up in the bullpen. And at that point in time, eighteen years ago, Kershaw was throwing ninety eight miles an hour. I mean you could hear the pop of the glove from the Dodger bullpen all the way to Glendale Brand at Boulevard. I mean, that's how hard he was thrown back then, and that's how excited everybody was when he made his major league debut. But anyway, set up our first date here at Dodger Stadium in the Dodger Stadium Stadium club with my wife, with my future wife during Kershaw's major league debut. So another I guess, uh, Kevin Bacon six degrees of Clayton Kershaw eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number let's go out to. And by the way, in case you follow Jim Rome, big head James Kelly, that was the guy I was with covering Kershaw's major league debut for AM five to seventy back then. Todd who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Todd?
Speaker 3: Fantastic today? Thanks you my call.
Speaker 7: Second, Oh, I'm gonna put you back on hold for a second. You're in cell hell, so hold on and get that straightened out. Let's go out to Rick who is at Dodgers Stadium. How you doing, Rick?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 16: Great, great job tonight.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 16: I love going there and seeing history made. I never get tired of it. But I just wanted to give a shout out to a guy who's been kind of maligned like me. And you know, he made a great catch and left field tonight, got the base hit to start off the ninth in the rally, and Michael Canforio. Man, I'm pulling for you, baby. He just just stayed to it, man, and I think he's gonna do all right.
Speaker 7: Hey, that's a great call, Rick, because that was one of the highlights during the Clubhouse show. You know, when Confordo makes that catch and look, you can argue whether it was going to be a triple off the bullpen gate or it was going to be a home run. But the catch he made to Rob Sosa of what could have been a three run home run in a first inning that saw kershawn throw twenty nine pitches changed the complexion of what we saw tonight. If that's a three run home run, the White Sox are up forward to nothing, and Kershaw has thrown twenty nine pitches in the first inning. It's clear he doesn't have his best stuff. It's clear he's trying to get strikeouts and it's not working. Who knows which direction this goes? Who knows how hard? Dave roberts hand is forced to take Kershaw out before he even records one strikeout, So you're one hundred percent right. If Confordo doesn't make that catch to end the first inning, who knows what we're talking about tonight? And that means I would have had to go to Milwaukee to see another Kershaw milestone. I mean he got his two thousand strike out at Miller Park. I would have had to fly to Milwaukee again to see it again, to see his three thousandth Let's go out to Santa Clarita, Ashley, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing, Ashley?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great.
Speaker 18: So on May twenty fifth, two thousand and eight, for my parents' wedding anniversary, my heavily pregnant mother. She was about seven or eight months pregnant with me. They got to watch Clayton Kershaw throw his first career strikeout. And a little over seventeen years later, my dad took me to this game and I got to watch him throw his three thousand strikeout.
Speaker 7: That is so cool, Ashley. I love hearing a story like that. How emotional did your dad get when Kershaw threw that strike and when he got his three thousand strikeout?
Speaker 18: Well, we didn't get emotional like tears, but I think we both were. We both probably are not gonna have our voices by tomorrow.
Speaker 15: My eyes went right to hear her, David, My eyes went right to her when he log got strikeout.
Speaker 7: That's so awesome. I love hearing that. That's what baseball is all about right there. That's so cool. Thank you guys for calling in and sharing that.
Speaker 3: Hey, David, Hey can we have for those fourth in July sixth, for Ashley's birthday.
Speaker 18: It is my birthday today, seventeen.
Speaker 7: You came to the best game of the home stand tonight. I gotta give it to somebody that wasn't fortunate enough to be here tonight.
Speaker 16: Oh okay, understood, all right?
Speaker 7: Cool? If I have tickets tomorrow night, call back. See they try to tug at my heartstrings, right, they're like, oh, my mom was pregnant with me when they were at the game together with Kershaw's major league debut. My dad brought me to the game today. It was an emotional, full circle moment for our family. Hey, can we get those tickets for fourth of July? By the way, come on, man, I'm a sensitive guy, but I can't be hustled. I can't be hustled. I'm sorry. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We still do have a pair of tickets to give away for fourth of July here at Dodgers Stadium. That's always special here and who knows, maybe y'all Papa Kershaw related question on you, So you better be ready. Jose Mode is going to join us. And as we head to our first and only time out of the night, here was Rick Monday and Tim Neverett on the call in the sixth inning with two outs and Vinnie Capra at the plate.
Speaker 19: One ball, two strikes, two Capra betther than fifty thousand on their feet at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 7: One two pitch, strike.
Speaker 11: Three cold, Yes, he got over a slider, strikeout number three thousand for Clayton Kershaw history at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 19: They will stop the game, Kershaw doffing his cap to the crowd, this adoring crowd here at Dodger Stadium as Clayton Kershaw enters the three thousand club, just the twentieth member and only the fourth left hander.
Speaker 7: In the history of the.
Speaker 19: Game with three thousand strikeouts, every one of them coming into Dodger uniform.
Speaker 6: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: This is Dodger Talk with David bassin.
Speaker 19: Stretch by Wilson in the first pitch coming to Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 7: Pce Winson at a base hit.
Speaker 19: To right oh Tally around third, he comes to the plight.
Speaker 7: Dodgers win.
Speaker 19: Dodgers win, the fifteenth career walkoff hit for Freddie Freeman of the Dodgers come all the way back to win at five before on a special night at Dodgers Stadium where a sellout crowd witnessed Clayton Kershaw's three thousand strikeout, and Freddie Freeman, with a walkoff hit gives the Dodgers their fifty fifth win of the season.
Speaker 7: The game rewards you for being unselfish and supporting a teammate. And nobody has supported Clayton Kershaw in his pursuit of three thousand strikeouts this year more than Freddie Freeman. Freddie spin as he heard Clayton and say being as excited as his oldest son Charlie, counting him down to three thousand strikeouts. And here it is Freddie Freeman with the moment to walk the Dodgers off in the ninth inning on the night Kershaw records three thousand. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five seventy lasports dot com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five p seventy is the phone number. We have a full board of calls. We're taking it to midnight. And like I said about Kershaw coming off, left knee, left foot surgery. Do you think his foot feels great every time he goes out there? I would say no. Do you think Freddie Freeman's right ankle feels great right now? I would say no. But he finds a way. Both those guys find a way. And like our good friend Brad Paisley, he once saying, let's see if that truck still works, and it certainly does. And Brad was front row tonight and that was special because him and Clayton have been good friends for a while and he's a huge Dodger fan and an even bigger Clayton Kershaw fan. So great to see, Uh, Brad Paisley here tonight, front row and center. Maybe he's driving back up the coast right now as we speak. Also on the call tonight was Jose Mota when Clayton Kershaw recorded his three thousandth career strikeout. Here is Jose Modis call on the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast done us men, Manu.
Speaker 20: Simho play Ton Crushaga in Dodger Stadium. Here Scutostan and Muros.
Speaker 13: And Bivessos Salvos also Sposa, also.
Speaker 7: Sijos los com.
Speaker 13: Play persons Combretid hang In, Lonzo Lestoria and Loo Teres Mien, puntees Seconbietre.
Speaker 7: Yalla mas Segon pietre.
Speaker 13: Na Finas and the Sun Solo.
Speaker 7: All right, that was the call tonight in twenty twenty five. Let's head out to hear from Jose Mota.
Speaker 6: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 7: I think that was recorded digitally, right, Jose.
Speaker 3: I believe so whatever Colin did, very nice job.
Speaker 7: He got it off your Instagram. That's where he got it. Jose. How special was it for you to be on the call? I mean we hear about different broadcasters telling the story, but obviously to be in that position, to be able to call a historic moment, what was it like for you?
Speaker 10: It was thrilling.
Speaker 2: I mean you have to keep your cool and be a broadcaster at the same time you are pulling for a guy that you've seen come up to the big leagues and dominate, change his game, evolved with the game. And also keep it in mind, Davis, you know very well the Vince Skilly words say less and let the crowd talk, and something that I kept in mind the entire time, because I mean just the gestures from him the teammates towards his family, but recalling also in tying everything into the history of the twentieth picture of their fourth lefty and things like that, and how hard you have to work to get there. So the White Sox did not make it easy on it. But boy, that was such a relief, I know for everybody around. But what a thrill and a privilege to be involved in that call for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this seemed to be kind of a throwback type of approach against Kershaw. The White Sox were swinging first pitch a lot. They were not, you know, chasing pitches outside of the strike zone. Jim Woolf, who's my guy. I thought he had some if he calls as well. But you know, what were they doing that was giving Kershaw problems?
Speaker 2: They had a good plan, and I you know, Kersh is the best at self evaluating and you could tell. And you can just listen Twitter in your minus the games going on, what kurtse You's going to say about his lighter about how flat it was, about this stuff not being there all the time. But what they're doing so well is they had a great plan. They did not chase, they did not spread his own They jumped early on pitches that they needed to. But also with two strikes are amazing. I mean, how many guys he got the two strikes in the first fourteen fifteen batters. They just would not go away. And you know they could have done it if they were a little more anxious. But you know, there's not a team also that as bad as a record is, they don't strike out a ton like the Angels doing and teams they're pretty much in the middle of pack in the American League. But boy, they you got to, you know, tip their hat to them. They made him earn it. I mean, who would have thought that the Westing's gonna make it that hard? But I think if anything, Clayton kersher will want it this way to make sure that it wasn't just a given. It was pretty much like every single struck out he's recording his career. He had to go out there and earn it, get the guys ready for it. Boy, And it came down to the last pitch, last batter, and that's just how the great ones do it.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt.
Speaker 7: Did you feel I mean, he admitted kind of to a certain point that he was trying to strike out three. Do you feel that worked against him where he was chasing strikeouts.
Speaker 2: We talked about chasing strikeouts last night, and yeah, it was kind of working against him. But he can't get away from the emotion and what you're feeling and what you're trying to accomplish, and especially like it's not a ten game homesteads, you know, six game homestands, so you got to go out there and say, I want to do it at home. Everybody wants that to happen at home. So yeah, I think, you know, being amped up sometimes made him maybe overthrow and not really ripped the break and ball. Maybe take him a little bit less would have been great, But nonetheless he got it done. And to us, as you know very well, Dave, it is exactly all that matters.
Speaker 7: You've been around baseball your entire life.
Speaker 4: Jose.
Speaker 7: Where does Kershaw fit in the story of this game?
Speaker 2: We got to talk about the character of Clayton. Kershew tops, the humanitarian tops, the performer tops, the winner tops. So there's so many categories in which I'm going to put him in the upper echelon, not just as a Hall of Famer on the field, but also Hall of Famer as a human being and what he's done for a franchise. Clinton Kershaw has adequately managed to stay in this uniform because he wanted to. There's no other reason he wanted to. He has gone through injuries, he has gone through so many different challenges, but he wanted to be a Dodger. He wants to win. And Sertty, this is not the end.
Speaker 4: This we're going to be celebrating.
Speaker 3: This is gonna tell all.
Speaker 2: Of us just move on. We need to go out there and win some ball games. But there's no doubt with everything that he encompasses that he's accomplished. He is right at the top of anybody as any faith of life brings to know that what he brings to baseball, he is a true ambassador and every single aspect to me, Yeah, and you.
Speaker 7: Know I was mentioning this, Jose. This is a game between the best team in baseball against the worst record team in the American League in the Chicago White Sox, the first week of July. Does any other stadium have the type of atmosphere we had tonight at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: There's absolutely no way this is playoff. All the way involved of the time he took the field, his warm up people washing him warm up, the was socks, and the anticipation talking to a couple of guys of the was sox. So it's like, you know, our talk was, hey, let's make it tough and maybe it's not against us, so you know, and you want that from guys like that. But this ballpark today was again transformed into a show an event, and you will see it every night. But this is a different level because now this guy's put in so much time, so much work, and the time is kind of crunching down on him to do this at home, and that just added to the emotions and to the expectations and to the drama because they were not swinging out of the zoontar before. It always like is it really going to happen? But I told one thing that really made me think it's going to happen, because I saw your great interview with Kiki last week. I go, Kei kick coming into the game and I hate Kochito. I'll go, Kiki coming into the game means that Kiki is going to.
Speaker 3: Be part of this.
Speaker 2: This will happen. I just happened to throw that out there because I saw the interview, what Kik had talked about and being in great moments with Flayton Kershel, and I just knew that he was going to be a part of this. So thankfully it all worked out.
Speaker 7: Hey, Speaking of that, Max Munsey left the game because of a left knee injury, and that's the reason why Kik came in for that last strikeout in the sixth inning. When you saw that play, what did you think immediately and how bad do you believe it could be?
Speaker 2: When I saw the play and I didn't see the contact, I said, Gavin Lux That's what I thought spring training because the way he was holding at knee. And Maximus's not a guy that complains or you know, is out there complaining about getting hit or playing in pain. But I saw contact go go well. At least it wasn't anything that was regards to the landing and tending the things out that still is going to hurt. Hopefully everything will come out a little bit cleaner. It's going to be obviously a few days and and uh, you know, some swelling in there. But I'm praying and hoping that for a God that's doing so well and needs a big part with the Valuars play so well in June that he's back soon. By certainty, he's going to be a part of this too. And forgot, like you know, he represents what the dollares are today and the culture that he brings that clubhouse, and Max Mounts is the guy just needed that lead in this lineup in the locker room and certain that team.
Speaker 7: All right, Jose, great call on a historic moment in baseball history tonight. We'll see you back at the ballpark tomorrow. There is a tomorrow. Despite all the excitement tonight.
Speaker 2: As Kirsch was saying, move on, but you know what, it was Kday and it was a beautiful day.
Speaker 7: Yes it was, thanks a lot, Jose. Great call on the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number on a night that Clayton Kershaw records his three thousandth career strikeout the Dodgers thanks to Freddie Freeman walk off the White Sox five to four in the ninth inning. And look you look at that ninth inning. It wasn't just Freddie Freeman. Will Smith had a great at bat, he was down two, worked a walk show, he Otani steal second base after drawing two pickoff throws. I actually thought it shouldn't have been as close as it was at second base, so Tani could have got a way bigger lead in that situation with no more pickoffs allowed. But you know, he was safe and that was a little too close for comfort with with the winning run on base right there, you don't want to run yourself out of the game. But Freddie Freeman, I mean, what can you say about him? Seventeen walkoff hits in his career, including the postseason, fifteen walkoff hits in the regular season. He already has his signature moment as a Dodger and in his career a walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series. But here he is again. Once you do it once on that stage, it must feel like the pressure is off. And he delivered again tonight. And like I said, the game pays you back. Life pays you back. If you're rooting for a coworker, if you're rooting for another teammate's success, good things are going to happen for you. And that's exactly what happened with Freddy Freeman tonight eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Trey in West LA. Thanks a lot for being patient tonight. How you doing, Trey?
Speaker 17: Oh no, thank you, sir, appreciate you taking my call. I will preface this by telling you I was not at the game tonight, and I have my Houston asked her its shirt ready to go, Just so you know, I'm just telling you.
Speaker 7: That favor right now.
Speaker 17: Yes, just a little bit, but a heck of a historic game. Honestly, with the storybook ending fantastic. I think what Stafford said earlier, the word grit. When we look at Kershaw, here's the guy's first ballot Hall of Famer. What he's done to get back to be here this year? You know, he wants to be on the mound when we hopefully repeat again. And this guy, he's he's just he's indefatigable. He wants to be there. And Freddie what what he said to Kirsten right after when she asked him what did he say? Said?
Speaker 10: Zero?
Speaker 17: Left to go? What a teammate He's been right there, This whole team, the camaraderie, it's it's just fantastic. We're blessed to be watching this team. I'll tell you what you know. I love my predictions. So with the next one, twenty two, Paul Skeys, there we go.
Speaker 7: All right, Tray, thanks a lot for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Abe in Los Angeles. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Abe oh Man?
Speaker 14: Thanks for taking my call. I was just a young fourth grade in two thousand and eight when I saw Kershaw pitch at Dodger Stadium with my dad and we saw him get Skip Schumacher on seven pitches. I'll never forget that. If you ever read the book The Girl Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, I feel like, in a way that book has become reality for me because Clayton and I have kind of I've grown up with Clayton practically. I mean, he's been my pitcher, he's been the guy I root for day and day out, and you know, we've been through the tough times and the championships, so you know, I've been I've been a Dodger fan my whole life twenty seven years, and you know, it was really special to be able to see it here at home with my dad.
Speaker 4: So you know where it all started.
Speaker 14: I love Clayton, all.
Speaker 7: Right, that's a great story, Abe, I really love hearing that. And yeah, it's it's a family affair for sure, especially when a player plays for one team his entire career. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go all the way out to the Middle East. That's right, Marshall is calling all the way from Israel. Marshall, is that true? Are you really calling from Israel right now?
Speaker 3: Good morning, David Bath A.
Speaker 7: Wow, that's amazing Marshall. You watched this game from Israel tonight.
Speaker 3: I've been waiting for this game for like a year now, and we're over here for like about six weeks with my family, and I think so I said to him yesterday, who's waking up at five o'clock to watch Kursh punch out the last three guys to three thousand and At first my wife said, you know what, wake me up when he's got two, is what she said. And when Kurs when Kursh walked back into the dugout after the fifth and Doc was just staring straight ahead. You know, there were no hugs, no handshakes.
Speaker 7: I went in.
Speaker 3: I was like six thirty in the morning. I went in and I woke her up. I said, honey, I think it might happen. And so she was out here and then and my son, I have seventeen year old son, he was already up. He woke himself up at six something in the morning, and he came out and watched the last watched the sixth with us. It was great.
Speaker 7: That's amazing. You know what's even more amazing. Your connection from Israel right now is a lot cleaner than a guy that was at the game tonight in his car. How do you explain that, Marshall.
Speaker 3: Hats off to whatever the Israeli cell phone services. It's good for them.
Speaker 7: Man, that is so special. Marshall, thanks a lot for calling and sharing that with us. Be safe out there, and hope to see you at Dodger Stadium when you return.
Speaker 3: Yeah, love, I look forward to be back. Dodger for life, David Dodger for.
Speaker 7: Life, no doubt. I mean, that is the ultimate Dodger fan right there. Thanks for the phone call, Marshall. Can you believe that he's in Israel? We check this out, We verified it. Calling you did his homework and he woke up at five am in Israel to watch Kershaw pitch this game tonight, to watch him make history, to watch him achieve this milestone. I mean, that's pretty special. And like I said, I mean, we have you call from LA and your phones don't work and he's calling from Israel. Perfect line eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number, Todd? Can you beat that connection? Todd? Is your cell phone better than that connection from Israel?
Speaker 3: Well, it's better now.
Speaker 17: I hope I was connection.
Speaker 7: I would I would feel like you might consider making a switch.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you gotta love the tenant Clarita Valley dead Zone for self coverage.
Speaker 7: What can I say, no doubt. What was it like being here tonight, Todd?
Speaker 4: It was absolutely amazing.
Speaker 21: It only was second to Freddy's Grand Slam walk off home run. I got lucky enough to go to that game as well, But this was amazing. Even with the stadium half full, it was an electric environment.
Speaker 7: It really was. When he came out for his warm ups, not everybody was in their seats, but more than usually are at that point in time of the day, and that was pretty cool. Where were you sitting tonight, Todd?
Speaker 4: I was in loads one thirty five.
Speaker 7: That's a good seat. That's a good seat. Thanks a lot for the phone call, Todd, appreciate it. Eight sixty six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're getting close to the be witching hour here, So I still have to give away a pair of those tickets for fourth of July. You know what I'm gonna do. I got two callers on hold that were not at the game tonight, Scotty in La and Ben in Monrovia. If they can tell me the answer to this question, Kershaw related, they will win a pair of tickets to the fourth of July game. So let's start with Ben in Monrovia, because he was holding a little bit longer. Ben in Monrovia. Were you at the game tonight, hey, David, No, I was not all right. Here we go, which batter has struck out the most against Clayton Kershaw, Who's been the biggest strikeout victim in Kershaw's career. I know it's a division, right.
Speaker 3: I would I would love to say it's a cardinal or a giant.
Speaker 15: I'm gonna go with the giant.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to go with.
Speaker 7: Stop looking it up. You're looking it up. You're out scotty in La. Did you look it up?
Speaker 17: Did not look it up?
Speaker 3: But as a dedicated fan, I know it is a giant, and I know it is Brandon Belt.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, he's got his number.
Speaker 1: He's always at his number. He's never at it.
Speaker 3: Brandon against Kirkshaw.
Speaker 7: To make sure you didn't look this up. How many times do you believe Kershaw struck out Brandon Belt in his career?
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's got to be a good amount.
Speaker 4: It's gotta be.
Speaker 10: I want to say, in the high twenties.
Speaker 3: But all right, I'm believing.
Speaker 17: I gotta say in the high twenties, close to thirty.
Speaker 7: Yes, it is thirty, and you might be hustling me, but the show's over, so I got to give you the tickets. So congratulations, it is Brandon Belt. Brandon Belt struck out thirty times in his career against Kershaw. He hated seeing Kershaw. Paul Goldschmid struck out twenty four times in his career, and Carlos Gonzales of the Rockies struck out twenty two times against Kershaw. So congratulations, I'm winning a pair of tickets to the fourth of July game here at Dodgers Stadium. I can't wait for you to be out here and enjoy the game. So thank you, Scotty for being patient and congratulations.
Speaker 17: Appreciate you, David, I say, I always been a big fan.
Speaker 4: Appreciate Dodgers for life.
Speaker 7: Bigger fan now right, since I got you tickets?
Speaker 17: Right, oh yeah, A huge fan.
Speaker 3: You're following you everywhere now, I love you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: All right, Scotti, hold on, there you go. Congratulations to Scotty. He wins a pair of tickets to see the world champion Dodgers on fourth of July to take on the Houston Astros. So congratulations to Scotty, courtesy of your home of the world champion Dodgers and five to seventy LA Sports tomorrow night, the Dodgers are looking for a sweep. Dustin May on the mound for the Dodgers. He's four and five with an ERA of four sixty eight, going up against Aaron Savale, who's one in four with an ERA of four to seventy four. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium who gave me this great note tonight to close it out. Clayton Kershaw's one hundred pitches the most in a Kershaw starts since June twentieth, twenty twenty three, in Anaheim against the Angels, where he threw one hundred and three pitches in seven innings. Tonight, one hundred pitches in six innings. Thanks to Colin Yee, who did a great job back in our Burbank studios tonight. Good job by you, Colin Yee, and thank you for listening, and thank you to the Dodger fans who made this night perfect with Kershaw hitting this milestone, becoming the twentieth pitcher in baseball to record three thousand strikeouts. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with Drew but Terra, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight, the Dodgers scored three runs in the ninth inning, Freddie Freeman a walk off basit to score show Hey Otani and the Dodgers beat the White Sox five to four. Coming up next the King of des Moines, Iowa, Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night. See you