Speaker 1: All right, let's go freend Rug and Rodney Pink on a five to seventy LA sports. This is what happens when you're the stand by guys. We were on standby, and to be very honest with you, if we're going to be one thousand percent honest with you, we thought we'd be on much sooner than this because we thought the Dodgers were going to win.
Speaker 2: So we were ready.
Speaker 1: To go an hour an hour long today because if they don't have that complete collapse and debacle, the game would have been over much sooner. So, Rodney, as you were sitting there watching that this afternoon, what is running through your mind?
Speaker 3: I'm like you, fret, I was thinking. First of all, we were on standby also because there was rain in the forecast in Cleveland, and so we weren't sure if the game was going.
Speaker 2: To be called delayed, called early.
Speaker 3: But once they got past the fifth inning and they got into the sixth, and it was going to be a complete game, regardless of the score, regardless of the inning. And after that, he figured we would go on and have at least an hour, right, at least an hour, maybe maybe even more than that, because I thought and then they showed the clips of it's starting to rain a little bit, and you were hoping, You're hoping that that game got called in the seventh, because in the eighth all hell broke loose. For itd all hell broke loose in the seventh or in the eighth, And I felt I felt bad for h I felt bad for Kershaw because he you know, he struggled in that first inning, but he held them to one run and he.
Speaker 2: Would have got the win. Red, he would have got the win. Yeah, he looked good. You have to get into him. He looked good.
Speaker 1: But I think now, and as I've said all along, the regular season is this long journey to get to where you need to be. And I said, I'm not gonna panic or worry about anything. There'll be ups and they'll be downs, and you adjust to them because at the end we know, we know how this has got to play out. But now I do have concerns about Tanner Scott. And it's the first time this season I've said.
Speaker 2: Anything like that.
Speaker 1: I think there need to be genuine concerns about him. They signed him to I think a four year deal, yeah, for a lot of money, and the Dodgers don't do that with relievers, and he was the best reliever on the market. So they said, we're just gonna wrap this up right now here. You go, get in here and do your thing. Close these games. You've beaten us in the playoffs, well now you can beat them with us in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: And he has not looked good. He has really struggled.
Speaker 1: To a point as I was watching that, there's only really a couple of choices here. I mean, you cannot keep sending him out to get beat like this. They have to make some adjustments there. And Dave Roberts says, the problem is Rodney. He's just throwing the ball down the middle. He can't close guys out. Yeah, I think we talked about that yesterday. He can't close it out and he's losing his location. Because you remember, he started the season pretty good. He was he was good.
Speaker 3: We were happy, and I think we were all happy that we signed him because he was one of the best in baseball last year and you know, sign him to a lot of money. Started off good, but then the last five starts, I think he's blown three saves in the last five opportunities, and I think three in a row. So it's not really it's not been good for him. And again it could be red. It could be it could be as simple as I am, I'm missing my location, I'm not hitting my spots. I've got to go back to maybe there's something in my mechanics, because you don't all of a sudden go from being one of the best to you know, struggling like he is and giving up long balls like he is overnight. Something has to change, and they're either in his delivery, or something is bothering him, something is maybe ailing or hurt, or he's injured a little bit right now that he's not feeling one hundred percent something like that, because it doesn't just go from from him being really good to him being terrible in the same season or within a month.
Speaker 1: And that's why one of two things are gonna happen in my mind. A, they're gonna have to take him out of that role for a while. They're gonna have to take him out, just give him some time, let him work on things, don't put him in those situations until he reclaims what he lost. So that's a they can do that, or B he goes on the I l there's something wrong, and even really, if there's nothing wrong, it's the old look. I think your shoulders bothering you. No, it's not, yes it is, yes, it is. Let's regroup here. I think those are your only two options at this point, because you can't keep sending him out to do this. You just can't. I mean, he's and does he want to give up these these hits?
Speaker 2: No? Does he want to blow the saves? No?
Speaker 1: I think I heard Dave Vasse say in the postgame show the Dodgers and Red Sox now lead the majors and blown saves. Yeah, I think both teams have twelve. You didn't sign Tanner Scott for that reason, and I believe he's got five of the twelve, and last year, the entire year, I think he had two or three. That's not why you paid him for four years to come in here and lose games. He's the guy that's supposed to shut the game down and let's get the hell out of here and go to the airport and fly home.
Speaker 2: Not what happened.
Speaker 1: And then you put poor Vessia in Yeah, and you know, you know what the Dodgers do.
Speaker 3: They fill Bickford people. You know what that means you mean, overwork them, over use them.
Speaker 1: They feel Bickford them Casparius for example, Oh you talk about a guy's putting in some work.
Speaker 3: Sarious, Oh my god, they get him feels like he picked his every day.
Speaker 1: I know he does, and I think he does. And dry now they get Phil Bickford. Get out your and go, just keep going. Don't see your arm fall off. So your arm falls off, and then we let you go. But damn it, when you're out there, you're pretty good. And now that's happened to Vesier. John Ronni's pitching every day every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can't sustain that. I mean you said it that the Dodgers in the and the Red Sox have the most blown saves, But the Dodgers lead the beg leagues by far, and most appearances by by the bullpen, most innings by the bullpen, and so there they are absolutely overworked. Remember how lights out Vessia was last year for them. They don't win a World Series if Vessia doesn't come in and do the things he did and some big time spots for them last year. But I think now he's he's overworked, and I think the whole bullpen looks tired for it. They do because they're not getting any length out of the starters. And on top of that, the end to the starters, they had to have more bullpen games, and you know, you look up and the bullpens in at the fourth inning. They're sometimes in in a third inning. And we've seen that a lot this year where the bullpen's had to start their sessions in a third or fourth inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know they're overworked. We know the starters are hurt. We understand all of that. There are no excuses, it's a statement of reality. But what you cannot excuse is the one guy you have signed to hammer it shot, to close it down, to wrap it up and let's go. If that guy is getting beat that's a real problem. I understand the bullpen is overworked, Yes, and they are going to be hiccups along the way because they're overworked. Understood, got it. We all appreciate that. We know when the starters get back it'll be a different story. We know that as well.
Speaker 2: But the one guy.
Speaker 1: That can't get beat up is the only guy who signed to close the game. Now, Blake Trianon's hurt, don't know, Evan Phillips. We don't know Copek he's throwing. When will he be back, how healthy will he be? So there are guys that are going to come back, maybe not as soon for Evan Phillips fingers crossed, but there are guys coming back. But none of those guys were supposed to be Tanner Scott, none of those guys were supposed to be. Shut it down right now. If you remember last year, the Dodgers kind of did it by committee. They did it by matchup, so sometimes you'd see Evan Phillips, sometimes you would see Vessia. It just depended. But this year they went back Rodney to the traditional we've got the guy. Oh don't forget Kirby Yates, whom I think has thirty some odd saves last year.
Speaker 2: He's hurt yep. Yeah, and to be fair, swear go ahead.
Speaker 3: He hasn't looked great when he's been in No, he hasn't and and apparently he's been hurt that's why he's down. So it's just the Yes, they've been hit by incredible amount of injuries, but at the same time, you got to deliver. If you're out there, you know, nobody cares if you're out there and you're in uniform, you're on the mound, you're playing, then you gotta deliver or you shouldn't be out there, and you gotta you gotta let people know that I'm not feeling great. If that is the case with Tanner Scott. Remember we went that through that with the Suzaki where he, you know, was feeling the pressure to go pitch because there were so many guys hurt and he didn't want to tell anybody. Well he did a disservice because he wasn't very sharp. And I hope that's not the case with Tanner Scott, but but man, he's got to get it going. And you're right, is last year, you know, between Trying and Kopek, you had your two closers. I mean, depending on who they went to, those guys were pretty lights out and and at that point you got to there's no way in the world that Dodgers did have lost that game.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: You know, the way they're rolling through that, it was like it was a cruise fest and then all of a sudden you look up, wait they lost. They're going on their way to a sweep and they lose it and get it and blows up in the eighth Inny. Yeah, that that just got to hurt for that plane ride back for them. You know, if you think about it, at this time, Tanner Scott is pitching just a tad bit better than Devin Williams of the Yankees. And Devin Williams, who was one of the top closers in the game for years, went to the Yankees during the offseason. He has been just a dumpster fire. The Angels almost beat him last night. He was relieved to get out of the game. And I think the guy up for the Angels at the end, they had a run around third. The count is three and on he swings. I mean, come on, what are you thinking?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: The count's three and zero and he and he pitch it for Chris Taylor right started. Yeah, and I think he came in in pontificalayl.
Speaker 2: He swings it's three and ah, pop out game over. What are you doing? I mean, that's why the Angels are the Angels? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: But the point is Devin Williams has been struggling all season long to a point where they thought he was gonna lose the job there and now you look at what's happening here with Tanner Scott. I'm just telling you you cannot give up a three run lead in the eighth inning. You cannot do that. You can't bring your closer in in a high leverage Let's get out of here. Shut him down right now, we'll get to the ninth boom, we'll go home and get beat.
Speaker 2: You can't, you just can't. You can't.
Speaker 1: That's not the mark of a championship team. So we'll see what happens with him. Will he a not be the closer for a while? I mean, I don't want anybody to give him the old Pedro Bajaz.
Speaker 2: Don't do that? Oh no, don't Pedro baya is.
Speaker 1: Or b Does he go in the il because something's bothering him. Our show is very brief today, so brief. We'll be back to wrap it up after this.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh yes, sure, so oh oh, what a surprise. You never know what you gotta find when you're on the Rogan and Rodney Show. Man Wow, Rodney, Pete, Fred Rogan, and the wonderful Oliver is joining us today.
Speaker 3: What's up, Oliver?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, say hello, Oliver. He's just staring blank. He looks good. At Oliver. Yes, he does, is big Kevin. He is very heavy, growing sad. So you know how old is Oliver? Now?
Speaker 5: Just earned one a month ago?
Speaker 1: Okay, so Oliver is just a month. Why don't you tell us what Oliver does on a daily basis?
Speaker 5: Well, he's sleeping, poop like most babies.
Speaker 2: Fred Fred does that. Now he's doing that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: He's uh, very excitable, loves his friends at daycare, you know, crawls around not quite walking yet, but he'll get there pretty soon, pulling himself up. Uh, the fastest crawl I've ever seen, and tries to destroy the house every single second that he can walk.
Speaker 2: And you'll really understand what the story house? I'm sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, are you? Is he sleeping? Set good?
Speaker 2: He sleeps phenomenal. He sleeps through the night, and he wakes up.
Speaker 5: He puts himself back to sleep.
Speaker 2: So he got lucky.
Speaker 4: You ain't lying.
Speaker 2: You got lucky. You ain't lying. You got lucky. That's incredible.
Speaker 1: You are fortunate because you know, if you've had kids, you understand what that's like. But he puts himself back to sleep.
Speaker 2: He does for now. There he is there, he is ah.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, yeah, he's already learning the microphone.
Speaker 2: Oliver. Well, Kevin, thanks for bringing Oliver around today. It's oh, of course, of course, why not.
Speaker 5: He was a little depressed because the Dodger's lost, but it's all right.
Speaker 1: You know what he I have to tell you. You don't realize that we communicate. He's really pissed in Tanner Scott.
Speaker 2: Is he happy? One year old Oliver is really pissing Tanner Scott. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in our pre production meeting and yeah, he conveyed that he was not happy with Tanner Scott and we he've been pitching lately, Kevin. So, uh so Tanner doesn't want to piss off Oliver anymore. Get it together, Tanner Scott, all right, yeah, we don't want Ali upset.
Speaker 2: Uh. Well, that's it for us. What that was exhausting today? Yeah? Wow wow wow.
Speaker 1: Uh But tomorrow we've got a regular show three hours. Ronnie, thanks for hanging out for thirty minutes. Kevin and Oliver, thank you. And Rodney get him tomorrow, yes, sir,