Speaker 1: On the third of February nineteen ninety seven, the bodies of a thirty five year old woman and a ten year old girl were discovered by firefighters as they responded to an emergency call in Cook County, Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 2: They knew that they're without an autopsy, that they had been murdered. Their throats were slid.
Speaker 1: The mother and daughter had become the fifth and sixth victims of a sexual sadist named Paul Rungy.
Speaker 3: The unique mo o that he had used when he was killing his victims was using a guy's or rused to lure them or to get inside their homes, and then by the end he's sexually assaulting, killing and setting their homes on fire.
Speaker 1: Years later, Rungi would shock investigators with a detailed confession of his two year crime spree.
Speaker 4: After you port a liquid on them, what you do?
Speaker 5: I walked away to bed with the match and through around that nine real fast out.
Speaker 6: Having him walk me through the crimes, how he did each one, how he basically cased the crime scenes. You know, the thought that he put into it, the premeditation. I mean, the guy was an absolute animal.
Speaker 1: The barbaric killer had gone on record Paul Rungy had become one of the world's most evil killers. Between ninety ninety five and nineteen ninety seven, Paul Rungi raped and killed six women and a young girl in Chicago, Illinois. The police had suspected him in the early investigation, but lacked the evidence to make an arrest, but in two thousand, a DNA match taken from his youngest victim finally led to his conviction.
Speaker 6: They were watching him, I mean, the FBI was involved, and that doesn't happen in local murders all the time. So they were onto him, and they were watching him. But they needed a break. They needed a big break, and the big break came in the DNA.
Speaker 1: When confronted, Rungi confessed to killing thirty five year old Yolando Gutierrez and her ten year old daughter, Jessica Munis, and began to divolse the horrifying intricacies of many more murders.
Speaker 5: I want to do the right thing. Help you know, for I've been trying to do the whole time. I didn't have for recurring to that stuff you on the code.
Speaker 4: I'm guilty. I did my stuff.
Speaker 3: He was almost like gratuitous and sharing the details of these crimes, like he was proud of himself, like he was bragging, and it was almost like he wanted to show police, you know, look how look what I was able to accomplish.
Speaker 1: This killer's story begins on the twenty eighth of January nineteen seventy. Paul Frederick Rungey was born in Illinois and adopted as an infant.
Speaker 6: He told me that he was raised in a very loving family in the south suburbs of Chicago, Oak Forest, Illinois. He sent to good schools. He had a younger brother. He told me that his mother was very loving.
Speaker 3: Paul Rundy was extremely close to his adoptive mother when she was the person that chose to adopt him. I think he really took to that and they had a very strong attachment.
Speaker 1: As a young boy, Rangi displayed some troubling behavior while attending the local Catholic school.
Speaker 3: Rungji had a history at a very young age of starting to show this sexual deviance towards other girls, and he would grab them touch them in appropriate ways.
Speaker 1: Around the age of eight, he was asked to leave the school.
Speaker 7: The fact that a boy of this age is actually asked to leave an educational institution shows that his behavior really walls off the scale in terms of being unacceptable.
Speaker 1: The scales would be tipped again in nineteen eighty four, when, at the age of just fourteen, Rangi was accused of raping two girls.
Speaker 3: Once they were questioned by police, they seemed to say that this was actually more consensual than the originally had claimed, and Runjie was like girl.
Speaker 7: I think it sends a very significant message out to him that actually, this kind of behavior isn't all that serious.
Speaker 1: At the age of seventeen, a traumatic event in the teenager's life would trigger an escalation in his behavior that would lead to more serious consequences.
Speaker 8: In nineteen eighty seven comes probably the most significant moment in Paul Rangy's life. His mother is suffering from cancer and she's dying.
Speaker 7: He's actually at home with her on the day that she passes away.
Speaker 3: This is extremely traumatizing, especially for a child that's already been in some ways abandoned by parents when he was put up for adoption.
Speaker 7: But one thing that we need to remember is that he was engaging in inappropriate and abusive behavior towards girls before this event actually happens, So it doesn't explain why he went on to do.
Speaker 8: What he did.
Speaker 1: In August nineteen eighty seven, whilst grieving the death of his adoptive mother, Rangi inflicted unspeakable torture on a schoolgirl three years his junior.
Speaker 6: He called a fourteen year old girl at one o'clock in the morning. His father is out of town, and he entakes the girl to meet him.
Speaker 8: But what she doesn't know is that he's going to keep her hostage for the weekend and sexually abuse her throughout that time in the most vicious, premeditated, and ruthless manner.
Speaker 7: He's lured this girl to his house. He strikes her over the head. She becomes very disorientated, and what follows on from this is is a sustained and violent and adistic sexual attack. It really was incredibly depraved.
Speaker 6: Eventually, he placed her in a sleeping bag and put her in the cross base the house, you know, and taped up and told her to shut up and stay there, and she was able to escape, run out into the street and get some help from her passer by.
Speaker 1: Seventeen year old Rangi was arrested shortly after the attack and would later plead guilty to aggravated kidnapping and sexual assault.
Speaker 6: He is sentenced to fourteen years in prison, and in Cook County you get day for day good time. So he was released seven years later in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 7: I think this sends a very important message to him again that sexual violence towards women, especially this nature, is not something that's really going to result in a massively long prison sentence.
Speaker 1: After being released from prison, twenty four year old Rungi met his girlfriend Charlene, who was known as Sherry. In late nineteen ninety four, he moved in with Sherry and her housemate Dina Bartolini, who got on well with the couple.
Speaker 9: He was funny, he was charming, you know, he laughed all the time. It was just he was just like a really kind of fun guy to be around. He'd wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, we'd do dinner or order out or whatever, and he would help clean. It's just he was a normal everyday person.
Speaker 8: Except he wasn't. He most certainly was not.
Speaker 1: On the third of January nineteen ninety five, just months after his release from prison, Paul Rangi killed for the first time. Twenty four year old Stacy Bell was an old friend who'd recently been reunited with Dina and Sherry, and the friends were looking forward to catching up.
Speaker 9: She was a friend of ours from when we used to go to the bars during on the weekends and we used to go to the forest reserves and we just hang out there, and which was kind of like part of the group that we used to hang around with. She was such a sweetheart. She had come over earlier during the day. He were kind of going through old pictures and she was having such a good time. She's like, well, let me go home. She's like, I want to come back. Maybe I have you know, have some drinks whatever, and just you know, continue this reminiscing.
Speaker 1: Years later, when recounting the events of that night, Rangie would claim that Sherry called him before Stacey returned.
Speaker 5: Calling at work and she said that she couldn't have stayre and that she probably will be a good candidate for heaven every week.
Speaker 9: Slapped and having a good time. I was actually sick that night. I was like running one hundred three fever. I think I had one wine cooler. I'm like, all right, guys, my head kind of went really warm and I went to bed.
Speaker 5: So you went upstairs to the room and uh, I want to first. Our man put some good music on and he was kind of sick or you know, kind of really drunk and that stuff, and kind sure, he went upstairs and Sherry came in and we went to our bedroom and said, well, stay, can spend the night.
Speaker 9: That's I remembered. I think I woke up to her the bathroom and Sherry said that she was gonna Stacy's gonna spend the night because she was drinking.
Speaker 1: RANGEI later claimed that Sherry was angry with Stacy and that led to him targeting his girlfriend's sleeping friends.
Speaker 10: Weight was sitting on the on the table in our bedroom, and I said okay, and I took the the waight up when I went to room, and she lay out of bed, you know, come from I went to the room and I.
Speaker 4: Hit her on the head twice.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 4: We are kind await he did you know? And then she did not reply at once.
Speaker 7: He's starting off with somebody he knows. It's almost a kind of warm up killing. It's one that he feels confident that he can accomplish.
Speaker 1: When Dina woke the next morning, she was surprised to learn that Stacy had not stayed the night.
Speaker 9: I think I was halfway down the stairs and I didn't see see her. I figured she'd be a sleeping on the couch and Cirline came by. She you know, came came towards me, and I'm like, worre Stacy.
Speaker 6: You know, well she is not here.
Speaker 9: So her husband wanted her home, so she drove home.
Speaker 1: But Stacy hadn't made it home.
Speaker 5: And when Dina went to work, I brought stage in a bathroom and uh put in a bathrober.
Speaker 4: I closed the door and I saw her after he had finished.
Speaker 5: What did you do?
Speaker 4: H hearing? Get me a kitchen bags at the kitchen garbage bags, but the piece of into the garbage bay.
Speaker 1: That evening, Rungy and Sherry asked to borrow Dina's car.
Speaker 4: We couldn't put that buying parts in my car.
Speaker 9: Small boltho. They decided my vehicle to go to the store or something because there's had no gas. And then they left and came back. So it was for me it was so big deal to give them the key, saying go ahead.
Speaker 4: Find burn car.
Speaker 10: Hey did he dropped them all in one place or he scared they were all.
Speaker 1: The following day, the fifth of January, Stacey Froebel's husband reported her missing after she failed to return home from the Rangy House. Police questioned all three housemates.
Speaker 9: We found out that she never made it home, and then we found out that her car was found over in Hanover Park somewhere, I think in front of a bar. So that was really kind of creepy. It was like, Wow, what happened to Stacy. We had people, we had, you know, police over and asking us questions about you know, Stacy being there that night and if we seen anything weird or you know, and as far as I knew, of course, she went home because her husband wanted her home.
Speaker 1: The housemates were shaken by their friend's mysterious disappearance.
Speaker 9: Well, he talked about it a lot, wondering where she went after she left our townhouse when she never made it home. So we used to discuss that and what happened to her about you know who, maybe she met somebody at a bar. I mean, we had no idea.
Speaker 3: He was so arrogant and confident about his lie and trying to put her housemate off the sense that he was able to get away with it. And that's just astonishing.
Speaker 1: Two weeks after she was reported missing, police received a call from a dog walker who discovered body parts twenty miles away at the Illinois Wisconsin border. It would be many months before DNA would identify the victim of Stacy Froebel. The news came as a shock to her friend Dina, who was no longer living with Rungi.
Speaker 9: So that was really it's really quite upsetting to find out that she her party was found somewhere, just bits and pieces of it. I don't think they even found her whole party, So yeah, it was. It was weird and what happened. We didn't know why. I did know what happened to her. Nobody knew what happened to her. Well, I didn't know what happened to her.
Speaker 1: Raungi married Sherry just weeks after killing Stacy Froebel, but when investigators learned of the newlywed previous conviction for the depraved attack on a teenage girl, he became the prime suspect in Stacy's murder.
Speaker 3: They believe that Rangi had committed the murder of Froebel, but they couldn't prove it to the amount they needed to arrest him and bring charges against him.
Speaker 8: He may be a person of interest in inquiry, but nothing certain, no hard evidence. So inspired or perhaps encouraged by that success, if you like, with Stacy Froebel, Runge kills again.
Speaker 1: Years later, Rungi described how in July of nineteen ninety five, he and his wife had targeted two Bosnian sisters under the guise of setting up a fake cleaning company. Assistant State's Attorney General Bob Milin remembers the hallowing recollection.
Speaker 6: So Janet and Amelia Pegan Bevick came over the United States from Basnia to start a new life.
Speaker 8: They've been in the country about six months. They're twenty two and twenty looking for work, keen to establish themselves in the community.
Speaker 6: They found out through a friend that they worked with, that Paul Rangy and his wife were going to start a cleaning business. Rangy and his wife eventually brought the girls over to their house in July twelfth, nineteen ninety five, under the rules that they were going to interview them for this cleaning business.
Speaker 8: But what they don't realize, and that's the horrifying part. What they don't realize is just how much danger they are both in.
Speaker 1: The real reason for luring the women back to the house soon became clear when Rangi made them a proposition of a very different a foursome with him and his wife.
Speaker 5: He kind of looks having funny and it says off to her sister, all right about sex, and she's like, what do you mean sex? I meant the four of us having sex upstairs in the bedroom for money, and uh, you know, she looked back for her sister and said something to her sister, and her sister got out and ran.
Speaker 6: The one sister broke for the door. She actually ran and actually got outside the back door.
Speaker 5: I called by the back of the hair to pull her down the ground, wars, collars of the ground, the concrete, the driveway.
Speaker 4: Yes, what happened to her when we did that?
Speaker 5: Uh, she didn't put her hands back. She went straight down, figure out her hands on the concrete.
Speaker 6: She was hurt so badly that she was throwing up and almost unconscious, and he dragged her back in the house.
Speaker 1: When the sister saw her injured sibling, she started screaming and.
Speaker 6: Took the sister that was screaming, and he handcuffed her to a weight bench. Down in the in the basement, and then he started to assault the sister that was injured in front of the other sister.
Speaker 4: Afterwards, she said, she said, why are you doing this? You're looking guy, why are you doing this? What did you say to her? Hide and saying and thought about it.
Speaker 5: I was kind of thinking for myself. You know, I don't understand this. You know, why is why is turned?
Speaker 4: Why turnament like this?
Speaker 5: And I couldn't She was right, I didn't understand its.
Speaker 6: Fo A girl was screaming on the weight bench, trying to pull her hand away, screaming, you know my sister and my sister, please don't do that to my sister. He eventually brought the injured sister upstairs and uh drowned her in a bath tube.
Speaker 4: And you go by back downstairs. What happens? Cheers down there and the girl and that's what was that? What was that?
Speaker 5: And I said, we talked, I my sister and I said, she drowned and he took and she started screaming.
Speaker 7: You can just imagine the level of fear and just the violence that's gone on in this particular attack.
Speaker 6: He then repeatedly raped the second sister in the basement while she was handcuffed to the weight bench. Eventually he brought her upstairs and strangled her, put her in the bathtub and dismember both of their bodies.
Speaker 4: After you dismembered the bodies, what did you do with the biopat? I put him into locasing in the bags? How many garbage bags did you fill a bipart?
Speaker 5: Maybe eight to ten?
Speaker 1: It was a horrifying confession.
Speaker 4: After he ate dinner. What happened later on that night? We drove to some farmers nearby and put the bags and DULC.
Speaker 1: Detectives looking into the reported disappearance of Janet and Amila learned that a mutual friend of the Rungies and the sisters had helped set up a meeting about a cleaning job. This was later confirmed when investigators made a vital discovery in the couple's garbage.
Speaker 6: They found in there the note that he or Sherry wrote out that connected them to the Bosnian sisters. Okay, their numbers were on there.
Speaker 1: Hanover Park PD now had three women who were never seen alive again after visiting the Rungies. It was too much of a coincidence, so now.
Speaker 6: They knew the police The police knew.
Speaker 1: In search of the definitive evidence they needed to prove it, FBI approached Rungi's former housemate, Dina. I was surprised to learn that he'd become a suspect.
Speaker 9: I found out Paul was involved when the FBI came knocking out my door. For I'm like, WHOA, what do you guys want to do with me? But it was like they said, they said, you're not you know, you're not any trouble. We just want to talk to you. And basically they proposed that I try to help them try to get some information from Shirlenipaul.
Speaker 1: Dina agreed to wear a wire and visited the Rangis, who were now living with his father in Glendale Heights. The attempts proved unsuccessful.
Speaker 9: Ahead of feeling they knew something was up, though, I mean, I'm not a very good actress, so they were very very quiet. They didn't give up any information.
Speaker 1: The FBI and the police were convinced of Rungi's involvements, but had no proof. Aware that he was being watched, the sexual say this was about to change tactics and take his killing spree to another level.
Speaker 3: Renji seemed to have a slight change in his mL where he went from being almost responsive to the environment to actually going into the environment to pick his ideal victim.
Speaker 1: In January nineteen ninety seven, Rangi was working as a delivery driver when he noticed a for sale sign as he drove past the house of single mother Derota Dorothy Dubach.
Speaker 8: Now he's a very sly operator. He goes to a local payphone and rings her up and says, I see you're selling your house. I'd really quite like to see it in sense, endears himself to her using that plausible manner on surface, nothing to fear.
Speaker 1: On the tenth of January, Rangi told Dorothy to arrange a second viewing.
Speaker 3: He was playing the part of a buyer that was trying to make a decision in a short time frame and needed to see the home twice. He could have used the time in between his two showings of the home to cool off, think about his decision, decide not to commit murder, but instead, I think that time in between actually served to get him more excited about the crime.
Speaker 6: Her daughter wasn't home that day, so Dorothy called one of her very good friends and she said, I got this guy coming over he was here the other day. Is kind of weird. She said. If you don't hear from me in fifteen minutes, and she was half joking, you know, call the police.
Speaker 1: As she showed Rangi around, Dorothy explained that she was having problems with the furnace and an engineer was due to visit that day to carry out repairs. Posing as the concerned byer, Rangi wanted to inspect it himself, and I.
Speaker 5: Gor I buy he was wrong, and she came over to look, and came over to look. I pushed her on the floor anyway, as then I screamed the color show. I'm not going to her chuck and do anything required.
Speaker 4: If you want to see your daughter, don't don't do it me. I colors van up and water into.
Speaker 6: Rangi. Uh was a very disarming guy, which made him even more frightening. He he talked his way into He told me over a hundred houses. If you met him, he came to your door and asked to use the phone or ask for directions or whatever you'd let him in. Very frightening guy.
Speaker 1: After raping Dorothy, Rangi claimed he forced her to shower before taking her back into the bedroom and tying her hands.
Speaker 4: Okay, where'd you do that? Later? On her bed?
Speaker 5: And what position is the layer the bat player on his iron stomach that player based on the goal. Okay, what'd you do that?
Speaker 4: Uh? I got on proper. I lean leaned on her with my hand like this.
Speaker 5: On the high part of the backloor neck area, and I was talking to her.
Speaker 4: I said, don't say anything, don't tell my boy, you don't do anything. I'm not gonna come back. I'm not gonna hurt you or you or your daugh or anything like that. Uh. That was that was pretty much. It were you leaning hard or laying stuff.
Speaker 5: I was late enough of I guess do are What do you mean by that? Because when I got out.
Speaker 4: Of her, she works more. She wanted to reason that. I realized she started hearing the cold.
Speaker 1: Paul Rangey had now cruelly taken four lives and was quick to make sure he left no evidence that might lead the police to his door.
Speaker 4: Wanted to do that, crew and crew and clothes for your reason very night the cloud. I don't all the draw attention. I don't serve there. I don't know, as he ignited the clouset. Wanted to do where did you go work?
Speaker 1: A short while later, the furnace engineer arrived to find the house ablaze. The fire department raced to the scene and discovered Dorothy's body on the bed.
Speaker 2: At first determined that you know, okay, well, maybe she died of the fire. She might have been smoking or something like that. However, when an autopsy was conducted, it was determined that number once, she had no smoke in her lungs, which means she wasn't breathing when the fire was on U two, they noticed signs of trauma.
Speaker 1: The pathologists found evidence that suggested Dorothy had been tied up and strangled.
Speaker 8: There are also signs of sexual assault. So what looked like a terrible accident is actually a cold bloody, premeditated murder.
Speaker 1: Rungi's previous victims had all visited his home and been killed there, but his change in tactics meant he was operating under the police's radar in a new area, Cook County, Paul Rangi had already killed, unbeknownst to investigators, he was now stalking his prey.
Speaker 8: Less than a month later, Rangi strikes.
Speaker 1: Again, responding to a local selling ad for a children's reading program known as Hooked on Phonics. He posed as an interested father and visited the apartment of thirty five year old Yolanda Gutierres and her ten year old daughter Jessica.
Speaker 6: Came over to her place to see it one morning, early before Jessica went to school, and he actually side Jessica. He saw Eline the goodiere is found her attractive, and he looked at hooked down Phanix and said he wanted to think about it, and he left.
Speaker 8: Why should they not think this chap is turned up, isn't a legitimate buyer? It was to cost them their lives.
Speaker 1: Rangi had assessed his potential victims, reassured that she was single and that there would be no obstacles to his attack. Three days later, on the third of February nineteen ninety seven, he returned to the apartment.
Speaker 4: Amen, I turned her uncle the door. I called my bone my jacket.
Speaker 5: And grabbed her around the front and put it right to a cross.
Speaker 1: Tragically, Jessica was also home that day.
Speaker 4: Daughter say anything, no, she's doing anything. No, thanks for the shack look. And then those go tip out of pocket and I tip her hands find a bag and then the little girl can't find.
Speaker 6: A bed, got him behind the bed, he repeatedly raped them.
Speaker 7: Jessica had been subjected to quite a sustained, sadistic sexual attack at the same time her mother had, So this tells us that this killer has no boundaries. He has no limits. The fact that there's a ten year old child, there is not something that puts his brakes on or gets in his way or stops him from doing what he wants to do. If anything, she's part of the appeal for him.
Speaker 1: Rangi slashed the throats of the mother and her young daughter. The twenty seven year old killer once again set about covering his tracks. This time he'd come prepared.
Speaker 6: So he had his briefcase, and inside the briefcase he had the duct tape, He had a knife, he had the flammable substance in there, and he poured the flammable substance all over both of them.
Speaker 4: Keep pour the liquid and on what you do. I walked away to the bed with the.
Speaker 5: Match and through around that, and thegnited real fast out Why did you do that?
Speaker 4: To a high defect of where it is?
Speaker 5: The next carus I can't tell why I got next. I mean, I don't know I don't know why did that.
Speaker 1: The Chicago Fire Department arrived soon after being alerted by a member of the public. It was a harrowing scene.
Speaker 2: They knew that without an autopsy, that they had been murdered. Their throats were slit, and they were were partially new.
Speaker 1: Whilst Raungi remained prime suspect in the investigation into the nineteen ninety five killings of three women who disappeared after visiting his home, nobody knew he was also responsible for the recent murders in Cook County. In March, investigators had another body on their hands when a female was found dead following a fire at her home.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was no doubt when they got there that there was a crime, they had been committed, that she had been murdered, and that a fire had been set to cover up.
Speaker 1: The victim was later identified as katimra Peru, and it soon emerged that just like the murder of Dorothy Dubak, the forty five year old woman had been selling her apartment and Rungi had already been to Wrecki the scene of the crime.
Speaker 6: He would go over and case the place, which he did in all three cases. Case it looked it over, made sure nobody else's around, and then he'd return to those scenes and attack.
Speaker 1: On the fourteenth of March nineteen ninety seven, Rungi returned to the apartments.
Speaker 5: I was like getting ready to leave, and I said, okay, thanking that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: I turned then I turned back.
Speaker 5: She turned around the other way, and I read it from behind him on the floor in the back of the back area. Puts her down through the ground. She started reading real bad, profusely, and that would happened. I stood up and walked her to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what happened in the bathroom.
Speaker 5: I laid her down on the floor in the bathroom and she was kind of kind of rioting and she's.
Speaker 4: Still waiting real bad, and I put her pans off.
Speaker 6: We raped her. She did wake up and try to fight back. She actually grabbed an iron that was nearby and tried to hit him in the head.
Speaker 4: Well, I just kind of went like, there's my arm and cowd coilet.
Speaker 6: Then he strangled her and asphyxiated her on the on the floor. After he raped her again, he took a flammable substance ordered over her body and in the bathroom and set it on fire and left the same.
Speaker 1: Chah and Mirror had been desperate to return home to her native Poland, but Rungi had cruelly snuffed out her dream.
Speaker 7: So the victims are all women who live without a male partner. They're all women who have something that they're selling, usually their home, their property. And this is just a pattern that is not going to emerge randomly. The killings are too close together, and it's just far too much of a coincidence.
Speaker 1: Chicago PD investigators now knew they had a serial killer on the loose who'd murdered four people in the space of just three months.
Speaker 6: The police were able to link the murders together because of how similar they were, well committed around the same time, in the same way, what the place has been set on fire, The police were pretty certain that who was the same actor.
Speaker 1: Investigators had no clue as to who this sadistic individual was. Meanwhile, detectives over in Hanover Park investigating the murders of the three women that had visited Rungy's home, were confident that he was their killer, but had yet to find the evidence to prove it. Unbeknownst to the two investigating teams, they were seeking the same man, although without evidence connecting him to the murders of Stacy Frobel and sisters Emila and Janet Passenbegovich. Hanover Park had an ace up their sleeve that would get Rungy off the streets.
Speaker 6: Who still have pral for what he did to the little girl back in eighty seven. In nineteen ninety six, they conducted a search warrant on his father's home and they found in their weapons. They found a stun gun. They found combat knives and some other weapons in their cross that he wasn't supposed to have.
Speaker 1: The possession of weapons was a violation of his parole, and in May nineteen ninety seven, twenty seven year old Rungi was arrested.
Speaker 6: They filed a petition called the Sexually Violent Person's Petition. Well, they have evidence that a person is sexually violent and then he found these weapons and that he should be taken off the streets, so we could take our time and build a case.
Speaker 1: If investigators couldn't find something new, Paul Rungi would walk free.
Speaker 3: They are left just thinking that this person almost certainly committed this crime, but they can't actually prove it. They couldn't prove it to the amount they needed to arrest him and bring charges against him.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and three, years after he was sent back to jail, investigators were running out of options. They turned to rungis now ex wife, offering her immunity if she testified against him. Charlene took the deal and admitted to luring the sisters to their home under false pretenses, cleaning up after all three murders and helping Rungi dispose of the bodies. Whilst Hanover Park geared up to put Rungi on trial, scientists were re examining evidence from the Chicago PD fire murders. They had a breakthrough that would finally expose the full extent of the killer's actions.
Speaker 7: In September of two thousand, there is a DNA match which emerges from the body of little ten year old Jessica, and it's a match for Rungy's DNA.
Speaker 6: The DNA. It's a game changer. It was a game changer.
Speaker 7: Rungi is a killer who thinks he's incredibly smart, that he's just going to get away with it, that he's thought of everything. But the one thing that he hadn't anticipate it would be that science would catch up with him.
Speaker 1: Now investigators knew that Paul Rungi was also responsible for the four fire murders. It was a memorable moment for Assistant States Attorney Bob Mylin.
Speaker 6: When I went in, gave him his rights, introduced myself, said I understand you when I heard from me whether the DNA is yours?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: He said yeah. I said, first off, you know it's yours, right, I mean, you know what's yours. You don't need me to tell you were there. Why would we be talking to you about this unless we had your DNA right where it is. Boom, So I had went down and then I knew, and so once I showed it to him and confronted him with that, he confessed to the Good ear As mun As murders.
Speaker 1: Once the floodgates had opened, there was no holding back. Rungi shocked investigators when, over the course of ten hours, he went on to confess to all seven murders.
Speaker 5: You indicated to me that you wanted to explain why you're telling us all about the cape.
Speaker 4: I would love to tell yeah, I'm telling you the case is because I want to help the family that are I want to do this right now. I don't know what happened, curl one.
Speaker 5: I want to do the right thing and help you guys. I didn't ask for turning to that stuff, you know, because I'm guilty. I didn't stuff, and I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: I wanted I wanted done it all with.
Speaker 7: I think this is because he realizes that the game is up now and he's risking actually losing control of the story around these crimes. So this is when he starts confessing because he's trying to get ahead of that. He's trying to claim the narrative for himself.
Speaker 1: His demeanor was notable to Bob Mylin, who listened to all the horrifying details.
Speaker 6: So I asked him, how difficult is it to dismember somebody's lag or arm? How hard is it saw through memory? Tell me it's not that hard. It's like sawn through a small branch. That's how he answered the question. That's how he told me. There's no tearors, no remorse, nothing.
Speaker 3: He wanted to be known as being so bad, and that was one reason why he was willing to share all of the horrific details of the ways that he murdered these women. And I think it was really to almost get credit for it, to see himself in such a horrible manner, but to know that he was almost like an evil villain, and he was really the worst.
Speaker 9: There is.
Speaker 1: The full extent of Rangey's past, and his confession to the Heenus murder of Stacy Froebel came as a huge shock to her friend Dina, who'd been in the house on the night of the murder in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 9: I had found out that they had actually killed her in the room across the hall where I was that night sleeping upstairs in the bedroom. He killed her and caught her up in the bathroom, and then used my vehicle to dispose of her body. I just can't believe. I thank goodness I didn't hear anything, because I have a feeling if they knew I did that, I would have been dead too. I would not be sitting here talking to you guys today. But I did. It was, like I said, it was like an out of body experience, just even thinking that something like that could happen right across the hall from where I was sleeping.
Speaker 1: In January two thousand and six, Paul Rangi stood trial for the murders of Yolando Gutierrez and her ten year old daughter, Jessica Munis.
Speaker 6: Elected on which was the most evidence was the Jessic Communis Good years murders, because they had the DNA plus the confession. I actually testified not only to that case, but a number of the other ones. Rongi was convicted by the jury at the sentence in hearing, the other crimes came in to be taken under consideration, and the jury sentenced him to death.
Speaker 1: Unbelievably, Rongi was never tried for the other murders. He confessed to.
Speaker 6: How do you tell that families of the Bosnian sisters, We're not going to try this case. We're not going to reach your conviction with it. How do you tell them that? I don't get it? And when we had the note that connected him to those sisters and the people that connected him to those sisters, and then of course full confessions to the crime, so I don't get it. I wasn't for it, but it wasn't my decision to make.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and eleven, capital punishment in Illinois was repealed and Rangy's sentence changed from the death penalty to natural life in prison. Later that year, it was announced that as he had already been given the maximum penalty, the other cases against Rungi had been dropped.
Speaker 6: In reality, as a monster, he used his charm and disarming ways to get into holmes and rape and murder multiple women.
Speaker 9: I think Sacy, her family, all the things that they've got to go through, and every single woman that he has murdered, their lives have been changed forever. They'll never be the same. Nobody will in this investigation, this whole entire thing with Paul Ruggy. He's just evil. He is just plain evil.
Speaker 1: Paul Rungi was a sexual say this to who took advantage of the trust that he was afforded by the young and vulnerable women who let him into their homes. A cold and calculated deviant, he inflicted unfathomable torture on his victims. He is a dangerous predator who will forever be known as one of the world's most evil killers.