Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfer. Michael Garfield. Michael Garfield's joining in the high Tech Texan. Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 2: To make life easier, new technology, and Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 3: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add now you're high Tech Texan. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 4: If we had any budget for bump music or songs, without a doubt, we'd start this show with one Shining Moment, which, by the way, the greatest sports song ever made. It is final four weekend. This is the high Tech Texan Show. Yes, terrestrially, We're on Houston and KPRC Radio, Dallas Talk Radio eleven ninety and San Antonio News Radio twelve hundred WAI And guess what you are listening plausibly live from San Antonio taking the show on the road. What is up, my San Antonioites? San Antonio ons SA keeps We are here because I am a sports nut. Yes, I know it's kind of a consumer technology type of show, but listen. If you have listened to my show for well over twenty years. I talk about anything I want to. And if there is a big event, a big sporting event somewhere, certainly in the United States, and absolutely in the great state of Texas, odds are I'm there. I am here. Love to hear your call, San Antonio. I need me some breakfast, tacos and some casadillas and everything. Even though I've been to San Antonio many times. It is time to hoop it up. And how ironic that the University of Houston cou guys where I live in Houston, happened to be playing this week for just the first time, my friend, since two thousand and eight, and the second time in NCAA tournament history. The final four teams here all number one seeds. It is Houston versus Duke. It is Florida versus Auburn. The Gators. Last week they booked their spot with a memorable Elite eight comeback against Texas Tech. Would have been awesome to have even another Texas team in there. Duke very dominant in shutting down Alabama and h down. They bullied those number two Tennessee balls. Auburn pulled away from Michigan State. How about that it is tip off on Saturday. One shining moment will be Monday night. I got a lot of time to kill and play around in San Antonio, and I do hope I see you for some reason. You see me walking around the Alamoe Dome, all the pregames, the Henry B. Gunns a Les Convention Center, walking down the river walk. Come over, say hi, you know what I look like? Google me. I got a lot of hair, that's me. Odds are I'm gonna have a cocktail in my hand. Yes, we could talk about that, but there are other things to yap about, including we are still terra free from listening to this radio show. Doesn't cost you anything, at least as it right now. iHeartRadio keeps it free to listen to me over the year. And also on the podcast no I Am gonna talk about tariffs very big week, which does impact a lot of the things that I do talk about. I do talk a lot about vehicles and cars. Whoo, people, I hope you took my advice last week. I gave you a countdown man, because the price of cars, at least temporarily probably gonna go up a little, along with computers and phones and televisions, groceries, and a lot of things. Listen, I'm trying not to get into politics. This is what it is, and I hate that term. But what are we gonna do. We're gonna suck it up, We're gonna bend over whatever we're gonna do. But I will tell you what this means in the short term and what it could mean in the long term about purchasing some products. If you've got questions, Hey, last I check. We still are able to take phone calls thanks to our good friends Callum and Will back in studio. Here it comes three four six twenty nine Texan three four six two nine t e x A in call say Hi, give me your suggestions. Where should we hang and drink? Prequel? I know I'm gonna be. I got a few pre game parties, just you know what else to do in San Antonio. Actually hopping up to Austin Monday morning to do some Fox seven TV. So I'm going to be I'm driving the highways and byways of the state of Texas, which I do love. Speaking of which, testing a lot of vehicles lately. This week I am in a twenty twenty five Ford Explore. I don't do a lot of Fords but it got me from Houston to San Antonio quite well. It is very company, It's got some neat techn I'll give you a quick play by play on that. But also one of my favorite vehicles. And I'll talk about this maybe my second hour. Every week I get the test drive a vehicle, not from a dealership. I work directly with the manufacturers. You know this. I don't get paid to do it. It is just content so I can just rag on them and I could love on them too. Nissan one of if not and listen, I have worked with Nissan, not work with I've been the recipient of letting me, along with some other automobile journalist, utilize test drive vehicles for fifteen years. I probably I don't think I've been more excited or more pleased to be in a Nissan vehicle that I was last week. I was in a twenty twenty five Nissan Armada. I've long said that the Nissan Armada, pound for pound and I'm talking dollar for dollar, is one of the best deals you could get for a three row vehicle. All right. It is big, all right, the same platform as it's sister company in Infinity, in the Infinity QX series, but I was in the Nissan or Model, but this one was pimped out. This was the Nissan or Model Pro four x, which generally they do on their upper model when they used to have the Nissan Titan the pickup trucks. But there was very little, if anything, I did not like about this Nissan or Model Pro for Rex. I will talk about that. I'll give you the price if you're looking really for any tips when it comes to any type of vehicle. And yes, I do sports cars, I do evs, I do mini vans, do I do cuvs, I do Sedan's. I'll give you the play by play. I'll also later this this show talk about Yeah, I'm gonna talk about another Texas based company, text Tesla had a little slump. Not making fun of anything, but Tesla had a little slump and been their production and their sales this past month and it looks like they continue to slide. I'll let you decide if you want an EV, but I will give you my thoughts that. So those are the things that we're going to talk about, along with kids who wants the new Nintendo Switch to announced earlier this week. It's not coming out until June. I'm gonna give you or your parents the details and also maybe some tips of how to buy or how to get on the waiting list for one of these things. Something tells me that this Nintendo is going to be like back in the days when some of those early Nintendo's were released, you know, the home gaming systems, and they were hard to find, they were scarce, you had to wait in line forever, you had to get them on the secondary market. This may be just as big in terms of the specs that I saw in this Nintendo switch to, which is very, very big. So I've got that when we come back, we're going to talk a little bit more sports, especially if you're an NFL fan. And trust me, this does have to do a technology. NFL had an owner's meeting this week in the NFL. Finally, and I mean finally, they are adopting a key piece of technology that has long frustrated many fans. We'll see how it plays out this coming football season, but I gotta give it up to Roger Goodell and the owners were finally saying, you know what the technology is there, maybe we're gonna try it. I'll tell you what that is. We're gonna have so much fun. All right, Final four right here in San Antonio and heard all across Texas.
Speaker 5: Michael Garfield, he named it is the that's right, high Tech Texan Show.
Speaker 4: What happens if I actually sang a song that we're not licensed to play. I'm looking at Callum Calum Raid. He is running the board and he does so much here at our radio stations to keep the High Tech Texans Show running. Welcome back, Michael Garfield is the name. I want to play one Shining Moment. We can't, Callum, we can't do that. I heart just did we just it's it's the podcasting licensing or something. Because my show, which is heard over the air in Houston and San Antotio, in Dallas back of the day, Man, I could just tell you, Calum, remember this, I said, hey, play this song, play this song out anything. But now it's like, oh no, we're going to repodcast this thing. We don't have rights. Come on, man, One shining moment will be crowned Monday night, right here in San Antonio where we're doing the show, just this weekend. I am based in Houston, but I am a big sports fan. If there's a big sporting event. I'm generally there, so I will be there rooting. Yes, I have a rooting interest. I'm rooting for the University of Houston Cougar's number one. It's the Texas team. One of my three sons graduated from the University of Houston. I'm based in Houston, and so so let's go Koog's. So we shall see how that plays out. Phone number here where you can beg Callum to actually play real songs. I doubt he's going to do it. Three four six two nine Texan. Spell the whole thing out. Three four six twenty nine Texan. You can ask me anything. Well, you know, I don't care. Listen. I we're on a seven second delay. Ask me anything. We can either bleep you out or I'm just not going to pick up the foam. Speaking of sports and speaking of technology, which I actually kind of kind kind of was if there's one sport that I that is it for me and I think mostly Texans too, if not the country, it's football. We're football football fanatics. Y. San Antonio does not currently have an NFL team. I know Houston, does, I know Dallas? Does that? The cities that I broadcast in San Antonio. I know the Cowboys used to practice they back of the early two thousands. They used to hold their training camp here for a little while Austin. They actually held their training camp in Austin, just up the road, not too long ago. So I know we're football freaks. One of the things that I think people NFL fans kind of a number of things they you know, first of all, I think the they think the NFL roots for the Kansas City Chiefs. They're pulling for this, they pull for superstars or Taylor Swift. They think it's you know, scripted or whatever. But for years, and actually since the dawning of the NFL and football, you know, started what in the nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties up in the the Ohio and the Pittsburgh era, when you measure ten yards for a first down, it is done by two people the chain gang. There is a ten yard chain that when the ball is moved and it is placed by the referee and it's close to a first down, they bring this ten yards and yard chain out and they guestimate, and they guesstimate whether it is well. Listen, there has been Listen, there is technology right now that could tell in baseball if there's a ball or strike. There is technology a long time in tennis called the Hawkeye camera where they could tell if the ball hits the line or out of the line. Of all the cameras, the high end, the four K, the eight K cameras that are in use in football stadiums, how come they can't use that system to tell where the ball should be placed. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the twenty first freaking century. Because starting with this year's football season, just to prove this week by the NFL owners, the NFL is going to use Sony's Hawkeye cameras to measure the line to gain. And this is the process that that chain gang has done manually for decades and decades. These are eight K cameras and they're going to use virtual measurement technology to I love this quickly, and I'm using air quotes quickly and accurately. I can probably use air quotes on that one too, determine whether the ball traveled ten yards for that first down. Now, let me explain how this works, all right, I know you're getting excited. Maybe I don't know. The Hawkeye system it's made up of six eight K cameras that use optical tracking to determine the ball's position. So when the officials receive a measurement, the system is going to create a digital recreation of the measurement that the NFL is going to show inside the stadium. Oh, I can't wait for that. There's gonna be a lot of booze. But also on TV now, measuring the ball with the system, they say it takes around thirty seconds, which the NFL says is forty seconds less than the Chain Gang takes. Because the Changgang has to go out to the middle of the field, They've got to run off the field. Now, this does not spell the end as of now of the Chain Gang. They're still going to remain in the field for the secondary capacity, which is actually good because I actually know a dude in Houston who is part of the Chang Gang. His name is Joe Good Dude. I always see him in the background of the Texans games. He works for the Houston Texans sidelines of the gang. I was scared for his job, But he's still going to be there along with everybody us with the secondary capacity. Now, how long is that going to last? We don't know whether you knew this or not. The NFL began testing this hawkeye last year. It will be deployed in all of the US NFL stadiums and the international venues that the NFL plays in. So many already works with the NFL to power multi angle replay technology and whatever thoughts on this, just as you think it still could be manipulated three four six twenty nine. Texan. I'm a football fan, I am a proponent of technology. Hints the name of my moniker, hints the name of the show, the High Tech Texan. If technology exists, use it. It's not costing us the consumer, the viewer anything really in the short term to watch it, even though the cost of our cable in whatever, the YouTube, TV and everything going up. But utilize this thing. Is this the end all be all? No, I want to see how this works. This is a little different moving a ball of football and placing it where it absolutely finished its forward progress. It's different than measuring where a tennis ball lands. When a tennis ball lands, there generally is no player around it. You've got two players at any given time, and that's it on a tennis court. And so we've got cameras surrounding on the line, so there's no person really blocking it. On a football field, you've got twenty two players, you've got at least what three to four officials, Then you've got the sideline officials. And if you've got a fourth and short, down and short and you're just trying to do a push push or something which also may be illegal too, we don't know that yet. And you're at the line of scrimmage and you've got eleven twelve guys just on top of each other. I don't care how many cameras you got, how are they gonna know exactly where it is? Now to me, if you want absolute and I think the NFL has tried this, and you need to put an RFID chip inside the ball. Now, listen. R FID chip okay, radio frequency identification. This is the chip that goes in toll tags. This is the chip that goes and a lot of the tags that are on clothing tags to know if you're walking in and out of stores or everything like that. They're very small, they are very lightweight. You can embed these, let's just say in football, okay, then at one but you know exactly where that ball stops where the ball goes. You can see how fast that ball is moving, which means how fast it's thrown, how fast a runner is actually running with it. However, you need to put that chip in all points of the ball because that football is oblong, right, and then is it on the point of the football that is on the ford part? Is the point of the football is in the back part? You need it exactly it's going to get there. This is a it's a good step. It's a little bit more than a baby step. But I'm giving some DAP to the NFL. There's your technology. I can't wait. This is how bad I'm missing football. Before we get to a break, man, I'll tell you what. Once one shiny moment plays late Monday night after the final game, and then Natty is handed over to one of the four teams that are playing here in San Antonio, my next five months are It's pretty sad. I'm not the biggest baseball fan. NBA basketball, yes, I'll watch it as it gets towards the finals. Hockey, I'm a Texan, so now just doesn't work for me. Soccer ain't happening. I mean, we live for football, people, and the fact is this is I'm yapping about football here when I'm sitting here getting ready to go inside the Alibu, don't to watch tip off of the final for I'm still talking about football. Thoughts on this. When we come back, all right, I'm going to talk about the tariffs. I know you've been waiting for this tariffs earlier this week by the folks in our government who run our country. Right now, how does this impact you? How does this impact cars? Now? How does it impact telephones, TVs and everything else that are that are imported? And we have a lot of imported technology that we utilize. We'll talk about that. Plasher calls three four, six, twenty nine Texans visit the Ident Texan Show. Michael Gardfield is the name I'm going to you from that final four city of San Antonio. What's up san Antonians? Someone correct? Is the San Antonians or San Antonio Rights? And I'm being respectful. I love San Antonio. It is a fun, fun city to visit. One of my best friends lives here in San Antonio. I'm originally from Dallas. I've lived in Houston for thirty years now. My show is heard in San Antonio. W o A. I twelve hundred, also in Dallas and Houston too. I don't come here enough. This it's at Riverwalk. It really is a good city, which which is why big events like the Final Four come to San Antonio. So if you're out about pregame and and if you're if you know me, if you got my text, text text me up. If not, you can find me or DM me find me on Instagram or Twitter, slash x blue sky or threads whatever you got high tech text and h I G H T E C h T e x A n go poops. That's who I am rooting for this this Final four weekend four tickets aren't cheat, however, one of the few things right now, at least this weekend that I don't think has a terra fun tickets to sporting events don't think have tarifts tariffs, But I'm not sure, and it is time to talk about this thing because I'm getting a lot of questions. I did a number of different media hits this past week because tariffs are very very closely associated with technological products. Yes, automobiles and everything. I talk about everything I review, I'm talking phones, I'm talking TVs. I mean, it's just so many things made holy or made in part from outside the country. And so let's see if I could break this down for you. Okay, and again, not a political guy, I'm honestly not. If you've listened to my show for well over twenty years. I'm an American citizen. Love me some America. In the long run, I hope what's going on helps America, helps jobs, helps manufacturing. So despite the fact that the stock market's kind of tanking after these announcements and things are going down, I got hope people. I am an optimist, I really really am. So after months of delays, your president had this contentious tariff barrage now in effect. That was earlier this week. It was a liberation day. Libertad, libertad. I'm also a scarface fanto.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: President Trump proposed a wide variety of steep tariffs during his re election bid, and it looks like they came to fruition tariffs against China. For example. It prompted Acer, which makes laptops already to announce impending price hikes, and there's similar price increases from other companies expected soon on things like smartphones and laptops and tablets and TVs. Saw recent report popular insurance comparison site. It's called insurify. It predicted, based on whatever data they had, that tariff's in Canada and Mexico could cause an eight percent increase in auto insurance insurance costs by the end of twenty twenty five. I haven't got to the cars itself yet, So questions, what exactly are these terriffs? Why is all this such a frenzy? More to the point which I'm getting specifically, Hey, Michael, what do they mean for the prices you're going to see when crossing things off your shopping list? Here's my quick answer, expect to pay more for at least some goods and services. Hey, what exactly is it? Tariff? I'm really going to take you to school over here? All right? Tariff one oh one? I did some research. A tariff is attack and the cost of importing and exporting goods by a particular country. Therefore, a sixty percent tarify on Chinese imports would be a sixty percent tax on the price of importing computer components from China. Right, So well, Trump actually deployed tariffs and is notably against China, and he ramped up his plans even more significantly promising sixty percent tariffs against China and a universal twenty percent tariff on all ports into the US. Now he stopped short of there. I think he went roughly around thirty or thirty four percent when he announced it earlier this week. But who pays the cost of this tariff? Who pays the cost of this I remember when he was campaigning, Trump repeatedly claimed that the country from which an imported good is coming pays the cost of the tariffs, and then Americans would not see any price increase from them. However, economist fact checkers said not always the case. Now, the company's importing the goods pay the higher cost. But there's compensation to compensate for these new cost companies, they can raise their prices to absorb the additional cost themselves. Think about it. This is what happens with the TV sports industry. Rights to televise and have the rights to NFL games, or the March Madness, the cbstn T or do you know you know WBT. They continue to go up. What does that mean? Well, your cable price goes up, where your YouTube TV price they're passing it on to the customer that way, call it a tariff or not, but companies pass it along to consumers. We as consumers, and I say, well, I'm in this boat too. We're gonna feel pain financially as these tariffs take effect. Now, some companies they may eat the new cost resulting from tariffs themselves rather than pass it on to consumers. Maybe temporarily. I like that. Yay, schooner tuna people the cost. Who's a mister mom fan what Terry gar who is the campaign she came back with with the schooner tuna. Temporarily we're gonna raise prices, but when they come down, this is good for America. All right, they passed that's the cause idea. That's that's awesome. That was the I don't I don't know where I pulled that one out. That was the first schooner tune reference. That's what a terriff is. That they're very prescient back in the day. Ah so do I. Here's the here's the delio. There was a sweeping overhaul ten percent tariff on all imported goods that takes effect now pretty much this week in April fifth for a certain number of countries which Trump claimed were more responsible for the US trade defercent. That number was set higher, thirty four percent for China, twenty percent for the twenty seven nations that make up the European Union. You got twenty six percent for India, twenty four percent for Japan. It goes on and on and on. I'm not going to read the whole list. There was a twenty five percent on all foreign made cars and auto parts that has already took an effect. Now I'm gonna stop you here because I do cars. I review cars. I know a few dealers, and I definitely know a lot of the manufacturers. I review cars for fifteen years. I will tell you right now in the probably the number one question I got, Okay, twenty five percent tack tariff on form made cars. I am gonna go get a car, Michael, that is one hundred percent made the United States, Ladies and gentlemen, man, I hate breaking this news to you. There is not one vehicle that is purely solely made in the United States or has one hundred percent the United States parts. Every manufacturer, including Tesla, would made it right here in Texas, all right. For the most part, fifteen percent to maybe thirty to forty percent have some parts that are made outside of the country, so I can stop. Listen. I go on and on about tariffs. But let's talk about this for vehicles. How much the average price of a vehicle sold? And again I do that some research for you last month or two forty seven thousand dollars. Now, if a manufacturer or a dealership charge you you twenty five percent more, who are you going? What do dealers do? I don't know the answer. Probably should get one of my dealer buddies to come on. I don't know if they want to make a comment. Can manufacturers give incentives to help? Yes, they can. And I did see last week knowing everybody knew this was coming. There was the end of March, last minute, last weekend. Let's give you some deals of these incentives before the tariffs come in. I'm watching this closely, I mean, in this conversation right now. Okay, I can take your calls if you want to. I don't have the answers. I don't know the goal the goal of the White House tariffs. I think the typical goal behind terrorist is to discourage consumers and businesses from buying the tear off goods. I think in this case, Trump has claimed that the tariffs will encourage more people to buy American made products and maybe more company to create jobs in the US, and will quote unquote punish overseas producers with shoddy working conditions. Okay, coolio. If that works, dude is a genius. How long is that going to take and is that ever going to come to fruition? It's it's not a question. No one knows that. If I knew that, I would not be sitting here behind a microphone wasting two hours of my time in your time, I'd own an island. But I think economist warning these tariffs could instead lead to a sustained price increase and job losses right here in the domestic labor market, and retaliatory tariffs on US exports by foreign countries which are already starting, that could hurt American business. I think in short term it's going to be painful. Long term, wish I could tell you, But as of right now, through the summer, through back to school season, maybe through the holiday shopping season, maybe through then the end of this term, with what's going on, why, we may be hurting. But at the long run, I don't know. Maybe this is going to be the Trump administration's everlasting legacy that it is going to bring America back with manufacturing. I hope that's the case. I really don't, because America should be we are the greatest country in the world. We should be buying all American and I want to buy everything all Amoric. I want to buy everything in Texas here no stadium contacts, by the way, on a number of different things. My thoughts on it. Let's hear from you. Keep the politics up, because I ain't gonna deal it. But those are the facts, at least according to Garth. All right, one more subject, one more subjects a segment this coming hour here in San Antonio for the Final four. When we come back, I will talk about the Nintendo Switch, which, by the way, Nintendo based in Japan. The Switch too. It's the new gaming console that there was information was just announced this week. I'll tell you how much it's gonna cost. I'll tell you when it is going to come out. I'll tell you how do you get on the list to buy it. Our terro is gonna affect the price on that. Oh, we got a lot to talk about here on the High Tech Texting Show. It is Garth right here in San Antonio. I told you I take the show on the road. Michael Garfield is the high tech text and based in Houston. Heard in Houston, heard it Dallas, heard in San Antonio. Terrestrially, also on the iHeartRadio app if you're listening somewhere around the country. We started on WAI twelve hundred. Was this so this is November or December of last year. I couldn't be more thrilled. WAI Man. That's part of the Ihearts team and system, which I've been on for twenty three years. And it's a blowtorch man. I mean, that's fifty thousand watts my voice right now. If you're listening on OI, I mean it's probably heard in Mexico for all we know. I told you at some point I'm gonna come up and do the show from San Antonio. I am here, but I announced that and people are like, oh, let me know when you're here, Garth, We're gonna give you some restaurant choices, which I'm getting right now now. Don't get me wrong. Listen, I'm in Texas pretty much all my life, and I do love me some text Max, and I know where to get some text mechs in where I live in Houston area, and certainly I visit you know in Dallas. My parents are up there where I live San Antonio. I got a few spots. Funny, I just got one email, Garth, listened to your show for a few months here in San Antonio. I know you're a big Cabo Bobs fan. Cabo Bob's Burritos because you always talk about it and give away gift cards. There is one in San Antonio. It's right on the loop on the door side. Actually, I actually knew that. And I'll tell you what I'm trying to think. I don't have time today. It's Saturday, when I'm doing the show live. Sunday Cabo Bob's is closed. They doe a Chick fil a copy of their business model. I mean, I'll eat at Cabo Bobs anytime itny day the week except Sunday, which I can't. Monday, I could do lunch because the Monday night tip off doesn't happen till like what seven o'clock at night or something eight o'clock at night. Could do that anyway, Thank you for your suggestions of where to eat in San Antonio. Bye. By the way, Cabo Bobs who wants to win a twenty five dollars gift card to Cobo Bob's. I was hanging out with Lori Rios. I was at a clay shoot tournament earlier this week. I saw her. She is the catering and marketing director and uh, just her and her husband Arnold, just the coolest people.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And they give me twenty five dollars gift cards to give away. So technically, if you're in San Antonio you could use them. If you listen in Austin you can use them because that's where they're based. Houston you can use them. Dallas sucks for you. There's no Combo Bobs there yet. Tell you what caller number ten. Let's do this, I get things away. It's radio. Here's the number seven to one to three two one two five nine to five oh seven one three two one two five nine five Oh caller ten. You are go get a twenty five gift dollar gift card to Cabo Bob's, which you could use right here in San Antonio at their one location on the North Loop is what they called they called the North Loop here, or you can use it to any of the Cabo Bob's locations. Stop. We have a winner. This is people, That's what radio is about. Man promotions and giveaways, and I say something, We're gonna give it away. We're here for Oh, by the way, we still have we have we have a more. Last week we went nuts on this and we had a number of different entries to celebrate. I'm in a position in this way. You still have time to enter to win a unbelievable brand new one of three Robo Rock vacuums. These are the wet and dry vacuums. They just came out Robo Rock, which is the world's leader when it comes to robotic vacuums. They decided to give me because I'm a big fan, so I can give away to my listeners three of their new f twenty five series. This is like they're upright, but it's a dry vacuum which starts sweeping things up, but it's also a wet vacuum, so it's kind of like a mop. It goes back and forth. These are four hundred dollars each. We have less than a week ago. Here's how you can enter. Go on lot well, I put the I put the QR code in the R l on my social media last week. And so if you got a high tech text at h I g h T e c h t e x A N and kind of scroll down at least on my twitters and whatever, go do. Here's the I'm gonna give you the website. It's I made it easy tiny r l dot com slash win Garfield w I n g A r f i e l d, which is my last name, tiny t i n y r l dot com slash win Garfield in or as many times as you like. They will mail it to you. All you need is your email and your name. Nothing else, no phone number, no nothing. They promise not to spam you, but just robo Rock wants to do it, so I'm gonna position it this way. So far, the Houston Cougars have had a clean sweep through March madness. You see what I did there. And to celebrate that, robo Rock is giving away a one of three electronic vacuums. I like that. That's uh. I thought that was pretty cool. All right, Now on to tariffs and new tech gear coming out For all of you parents out there whose kids are already bugging you mom, dad, Nintendo's coming out with the switch Too. It's just announced. Can I get one? Can I get one? Parents? Did you even know about this console switch? Which has been out for years? But the newly announced switch To, and it's coming out in June, And I will tell you the price here, and I'll tell you how to get actually how to pre order one, because your kids are gonna want this, all right. So now let me give you the quick play by play, because I do remember when the early Nintendo games came out back in the day the consoles, there was there was long lines at stores and Best Buys and and whatever, and then you know, there were secondary market places and parents were like, it was like a cabbage patch doll if you think about it. And I just dated myself. That's pretty old, okay. And so there's the you know, where can I get one of these things? My kids need it, so it's nice that they're doing it in summer versus the holiday season. But here the deal. After years and years of rumors, Nintendo finally announced a release date for the switch To, which is the long away To successor to the Switch. The date June fifth, June fifth, The price four hundred and fifty bones. I actually didn't freak out about that, because there's other gaming consoles packages, the xboxes, the PlayStations that I've seen them more expensive than that, but four UNO fifty dollars. It's going to be available for pre order here at select retailers starting this coming week as a standalone console, but there's also a limit edition bundle with Mario Kart World for another fifty dollars. All right, so let me give the specs over here the Switch too. It features a larger seven point nine inch LCD display, so it comes with the display, but it also has support for ten eightyp resolution and h DRS. When you plug it into your monitor TV, it's gonna look great. It's got more built in storage, two hundred and fifty six gigs of storage and six and a half hours of battery life. That's right. It works on batteries too. There are these joysticks, which they don't called joysticks, they're called joy con cons. They're bigger this time around, and they're magnetically attached to the console. Because that used to be the You would slide these and snap them into the rails on the side. I can pick the magnetic thing. So for games, if anybody cares, Switch to is going to launch with Mario Kart World, along with some other third party games Split Fiction Cyberpunk twenty twenty seventy seven. Did I lose anybody right now with all this stuff? But one of the things that I liked about this good for Nintendo. The console is going to be backwards compatible, which means it's going to be able to play the original Switch games. That means you don't need to throw away or get new versions of the games that you bought for the original Switch. Good. There's a little break for us because I remember some of these other consoles back at that day coming out. Oh, they're not gonna be backwards compatible real quickly. You can pre order it if you're on the my Nintendo store, all right, you have to register your interest in advance of April ninth. You gotta go and sign it with your Nintendo accounts and whatever. If your kids already have a Nintendo, get to the Ninda Canada. It's going to be at best Buy, right the pre order at best Buy, So April ninth, go to best Buy dot Com. Don't know much more than that, but that works too. Walmart's gonna have them too. They haven't officially said with the details regarding Switch to launch, but I do believe they're gonna be at Walmart. If you have a Walmart Plus account, get on walmart dot com target same thing. Targets like Walmart, they've published already retailer listings for that standalone Switch to en. Mario Kart doesn't have any details on how you can pre order. But it's gonna be at the target. It's going to be a game to believe it or not. If you can find a game stop, it's gonna be there too. So utilize a regular retailer. Hopefully you're getting a pre order list, and when it comes out on June fifth, go to town. Maybe I may hire one of your kids actually to call and actually give me a review. So there you go. Questions about that, you let me out. You have one more hour to talk about this. It is Michael Garker. It's the High Tech textan show in San Antonio for March Madness with the final four. We will continue after this big break right here on wai KPRC in Houston and eleven nine DE Talk Radio on Dallas and on the Tie Harper.
Speaker 1: You is Michael Garfi. Michael Garfield, Michael Garfield's joining in the High Tech Texan. Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans items to make.
Speaker 2: Life easier system technology, and Michael Garfield has something you might want.
Speaker 3: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now you're high Tech Texan, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 4: You're getting into the second hour of two hours of the High Tech Texan Show. That's that's right, it is Michael Garfield. I am not in studio in Houston because I am in San Antonio as we partner, as we are heard on WAI twelve one hundred am the Big blow Torch. Actually I'm here for another reason because it is the Final Four. What a fun city, man, San Antonio. Just a cool place to visit if you've never had a chance to come to San Antonio, the river Walk. Very big city too, one of the top three most populous cities in the United States. Proud to have my radio show actually heard here here for the Final Four tip off later today Saturday, as I'm doing the show. Depending on when this show airs in all of my markets and Houston Cougar's big Koog fan. One of my three sons went to University of Houston Coog. So I'll be wearing some red. So if you see me walking up and down the Riverwalk, say hi. By the way, if you're new to the show, we are halfway through the show, so it is halfway to happy hour. Let me help you out. It's party time here in San Antonio. And if you're on the river Walk, I think it's always happy hour. And I hear let me hear from a SEMITI from San Antonio. Three four six twenty nine, Texan is there. This is a fun city. It's a party city, specially down you got big events that come through, great conventions. It's it's allge party, all the time. Best Okay, We're gonna have some fother best place to hang in pregame somewhere downtown walkable to the Alamodon. I know a few because I've been walking around here for I don't know half a day. But three four six twenty nine, Texan. Give me some suggestions on my either Facebook of her friends or also on my ex Twitter account high Tech Texan h I G h T E c h T E X A M A lot of people over here, a lot of people from out of out of state. What's up, Duke? Got some lease coasters over here, Auburn. Anybody see anybody who's seen Charles Barkley floating over the city. Charles Barkley not not a big fan of the city of San Antonio and probably the Convention of Visitors Bureau. I love Charles Barkley in terms of a broadcast. Dude is funny, but he has been He's kind of been a little harsh for some residents of San Antonio, and I'll just keep it to that. But it's funny. He's got his blimp with the partnership with a credit card. He's it's floating over the city. Surprised somebody has not actually tried to do something about that and bring it down. But there's lots of stuff going on here. Phone number is three four six two nine te x A n last hour, we talked number of things. Okay, we talked about technology and sports. NFL finally adopting the Hawkeye camera technology to measure their first downs that just passed this week, just like tennis and everything. But that's gonna happen this coming season in the NFL which is good. Talked about tariffs too, tried to be un or non political. I think I towed the line. But what does it mean for technology? Bought it? What does it mean for cars and trucks in the short term and the long term? What does it mean for the phones and the TVs and everything that has made from parts that are shipped from foreign countries to the United States. It doesn't mean I don't think it means anything good news. In the short term, there may be a trade war. We don't know. I wish I didn't know. But hang on. If for some reason, you see something that you've had your eye on, maybe it's a refrigerator, maybe it is a car, maybe it's a TV. If you check the price now and it really hasn't gone up yet over the past week, you may want to consider purchasing it because I think over the next few months, maybe towards end of the year, the price these companies who do solely make products out of the country in the United States, or parts that shipped in the United States, they may pass on that cost to the customer, which is you, and that cost could go up. So if you have anything specific, I'm happy to try to answer it. See if I can give you my insight. I haven't seen anything again, I mean, busy week between Wednesday when Trump did the whole tariff thing and then I drove to San Antonio and I'm here and a lot of commitments with sponsors. I haven't really seen anything going up. But if you've seen something, feel free to share it with me. Right now three four six twenty nine textan here is another thing that me man. There's a lot of stuff going on with the government, and for a non political talk show, a lot of things are affected. The TikTok ban is happening this weekend. Now. There was an inauguration weekend in January when TikTok actually was removed from the Apple Store, Google Play Store, and for like three days, four days, no one could use any app from byte Dance. Byte Dance is the Chinese own company that our country believes should not be utilized. I have no clue. There's many other Chinese apps out there that we use on a regular basis. However, we went. They went after byte Dance, which is, as you know, TikTok, but three days later, welcome back. It's save Well, guess what they extended the deal to either a a company better buy a US company, better purchase Byte Dance, which does own TikTok and cap cut a number of things. A lot of rumors who potentially could do it. I don't know, So by Sunday of this weekend, we may not be able to use TikTok or cap cut in the United States. It's I have no clue why all this stuff is just just happens. Can't we just have fun? This is why we can't have nice things? Man, So I don't have TikTok one of the only social media platforms that I personally don't have no particular reason, and it's not because it's directly it's a Chinese own company. It's a very popular social media platform. All three of my kids unize TikTok. My youngest son is like a major sports influencer on TikTok and Instagram. Just he was scared last January that a lot of his income was going to go away because you get sponsored in the whole thing. So TikTok for me didn't matter. What mattered to me is another company and another app that is owned by Bydance, which, by the way, if that goes by by what are we going to do? And that is a video editing app which I edit videos on a very regular basis for my Instagram and my Facebook. If you're a longtime follower, which I do, thank you. One of the easiest, if not the easiest, in my favorite, in so many people's favorite around the world. Editing app is called cap Cut. Cap Cut, very popular social media. Could not be easier. I mean, I studied radio intelligience film. I have a degree in it from the University of Texas. Back in the day, in the eighties, when I studied editing and filmmaking, TV editing, radio editing, we had to edit man in radio. We literally had to use a razor blade to splice actual tape analog tape tape it together. Yes, we've come a long way. There's Final Cut Pro, there's Adobe, all this O this stuff like that. But now there's apps. It is so simple to do. I've actually I do a lot of TV. Also, I'm on Fox seven in Austin. I'm on a Great Day Houston CBS in Houston. I had a lot of my own packages. I do. I can do. It doesn't take too long. My kids they can probably it takes me a bit. It takes me an hour an hour and a half to edit, you know, a four or five six minute thing to make it really sexy. My kids could probably do it in twenty minutes. Not the point. Cap Cut has two hundred million active users as about a year ago. Okay, it's a very big favorite among influencers, social media creators. It's versatile, it does have a free plan, it does have a paid plan, all right. However, the US thinks it's the threat to national security because it is owned by bit Dance, which is a Chinese company. We shall see. But when we come back and I gotta take a break, if for some reason cap cut goes bye bye and TikTok goes by by, I will give you some alternative apps that I have found that maybe just as good, maybe just as easy, and maybe just as inexpensive, if not free. So when we come back, I got that, I got your phone calls. Here on v High Tech textan Shows is portion of our radio show. We are brought to buy Total Wireless. Everybody needs data cell phone service wherever you are across my listening audience of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, actually across the country. Total Wireless tough to beat. The prices over here depending on if you bring your own device, which you can get a new simcard, new cell phone, keep your own cell phone number, whatever. It could be as low as twenty five dollars per month all you can eat, data, calls and everything. Go check out Total Wireless. Walking to the stores. They've got a number of great phones. Motorola has got some deals. Tablets they've got that too, and so Total Wireless. It's pretty cool. I am in San Antonio right now. I actually probably should go. I actually, I guess I could have done my show from a Total Wireless store in San Antonio. Well, last, I'm down on the river walk. I have here for March Madness. I have a I got a question for you, and I need some input here, need some input. It's a very simple question, because I had an issue this week that so many of you listeners around everybody's if you're a breathing person, especially I don't as an adult that utilizes some services that you think are absolutely must needed and must have in life. Let me ask you this question. What services are so must have now must need now that if it's broken and you don't have it fixed, almost immediately. Your life has turned upside down. I want you to think about that. It's a staple of your everyday life. All of a sudden, boom, something goes cabluey, all right, something there's a snaffoo doesn't work. Some things you can put off. Okay, well maybe it is. I'll go. You know, I can wait to get some batteries to replace it whatever like. But but there are some things that we need. And I was in that situation earlier this week, and I came up with a few of them. I'm gonna give it. You get my phone number here three four six twenty nine, Texan host it. If you're too shy to talk to me, post it online. Go to my ex account high tech text and h I G H T E C H T E x A N. My AC was on the fritz. Folks, if you live in Texas almost any time of year, but starting right now in early April. Oh, and it's gonna get much worse if your AC goes down, you better fix that thing immediately. Am I wrong? Don't even that's a retort question. I am not wrong that if I had to rank them, number one, your air conditioning goes down you better figure out what's wrong. You better find somebody to fix that thing. You better hope it's not replacement of the whole thing. Luckily, my quick story, this is not an ad, this is not a debt. I wish I endorsed an air conditioning company, and I should be endorsing air conditioning company because I have so many listeners, and this is Texas.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: I kind of know my way around over the years because I like studying things, and over the years when I had an air conditioning repair company, I just I watch them. I sweat in the attic and I go outside. I just want to see what's going on. So I kind of know my way around in air conditioning. My air conditioning just stopped working. It stopped working earlier this week, so I had to do some Okay, let's see what's wrong. Let me tell because well, I'm gonna call an air conditioning repair company. I want to tell them exactly what's wrong, so they don't they can narrow narrow it down and it makes their job easier. The outside compressure was not working. Everything was shut off. I go in the attic where my air conditioning, my HVAC system is and the first thing that I see, and this is an every HVAC system, there is a drip pan underneath your presser. It's like this metal drip pan. If there is water in there, Number one, you got a problem because that is your backup emergency drippand that's if something goes wrong with the main drain, it's then gonna back up and it starts dripping into this pan. Now, if you don't know it's dripping, and you don't have a sensor or an alarm to let you know or automatically shut down your system, which luckily happened to me, that water is gonna overflow from your pan and it is gonna seep down in that It is gonna seep into your ceiling, and then you're gonna have an issue. What you should have and what I do have. I have this electronic sensor that is wired. It's like an automatic trip switch. When it sits in my drip tray, when it senses moisture, when it senses water, it will shut down my system. That's what happened. There was probably half an inch of water in my drip tray. Something was happening with my main drain, so it started dripping to the tray. So my alarm censor went off, shuts down the system. And I'm glad it did that because if it didn't shut it down, the pressure would have still been running. Drippan would have filled up, would have overflowed my drip hand would have flowed through my ceiling. Not gonna happen. So anyway, called the ac company and I said, here's what's going on. My best guess is I need my drain flushed, the air conditioning drain flushed because it's using the auxiliary backup overflow in the pan. Luckily, and I won't even name it the I want moanium and mentioned the name of the company and hopefully I could not believe that they got there within about four or five hours, which is fine. Guy comes over, could not have been nicer. Was here about three hours and I had him flush the drain. I saw how he did it. I got some tips auso, which I'll give for you for free too. Flush the drain at the end of the day, as far as I can tell, because of the next four or five because it's been it's it's been working for the last four or five days. That was the issue. And I don't think my drain. My air conditioning upstairs drain has been flushed out, cleaned in years and years and years. It was backed up with whatever and that was it. Luckily did not need a new compressor, did do anything. So found a tip actually, though, if you can get up and you're capable, you gotta be careful to go to your air and not everybody's is in their attic. Sometimes it's in their garage or something. Sometimes it's reachable somewhere else. Go find your drain and generally it's an open upright PYPE TVC pipe and that drain leads either a outside because whenevery air conditioning is running, there's a little drip, drip drip, it's commondensation, whatever, and you want that draining outside or you want it draining into a pipe. Mine, particularly because it was in the attic. There is a PVC pipe that leaves to my guest bathroom sink. That's where mind drains. There was a block up of something. Dude could not have been nicer, flushed it out, used a wet dry vacuum, blew everything out. Then he puts some do not put draino in it. I thought draino was a great fix. Those are different pipes. Doesn't have a U shaped pipe like underneath your sink when you use DRAINA don't use DRAINO. Here's what you need to do. Every few months. Use a mixture of vinegar and water. Take like a sixteen ounce squeeze a little you know, a bottle of a water bottle, right, but half vinegar half water. Mix it up. Four that down that open pipe if it's open, or maybe there's a little cap in your pipe, that will help clear things or keep that drain relatively unclogged. It's not the end I'll be all. I'll still could get clogged. That's something I am going to do pretty much for the rest of my time that I have my house. That's number one. The other the other one is go outside to your compress sir, and I haven't done this, I don't think in five years, six years. Go take a hose and hose down the outside sides of that air compressor because it could get there's dust, there's pollum that builds up. That means that compressor works harder to suck in the air for that fan to go around and that noise to happen. Man, he was out there, he took my hose and he might It took him twenty minutes to clean all the crapol of that just came out dirt water everywhere. So now it's like a it's cleaner suction. It comes in air conditionings. Is it's fine? Right now? Knock? What didn't need a compressor? There you go. The point is and I got another metete over here too. Where was I going? What are some services that you if you don't have it fixed immediately, that turns your life upside down? Number one, It's got to be air conditioning. Number two, if you got a flat tire. If you've got a flat tire, you generally don't wait around and say it's gonna fix itself. That'll be wait a week. Okay, you need a flat tire fixed? All the ones I could think of. If you lose your cell phone, your cell phone is pretty much your life right now. I would rather lose my wallet than lose my cell phone. Never thought I'd say that that's my that's generally your only connection to the world. A lot of people don't even have hard wire phones at home. All of your your website, your passwords, your banking, you do so much your cell phone. So you got to go replace that, find it, find my phone, get a new phone, whatever it is. What am I missing is we take a break over here. What are some services that you absolutely must have now? You need now that. If it's not fixed immediately, your life is just over. Air conditioning, flat tire, cell phones. Talk to me phone number here. If you still have your cell phone three four six twenty nine Texan three four six twenty nine textan when we get back, and I apologize for this. I will give you some options if cap cut, if you're video editing app goes down this weekend because of some government regulated issue, I will tell you what to do.
Speaker 6: It is Michael Rachel Behide tempt the show.
Speaker 4: Somebody's one shining moment will happen this coming Monday evening. New national champion basketball in the world of college be crowned right here where I am doing my show this weekend. San Antonio, Texas. Hello San Antonio and my terrestrial listeners on news radio twelve hundred WAI also generally I do the show Houston Studio. Also heard k PRC nine to fifty am, Dallas. You're next, man, I haven't done the show from Dallas yet that we've been on Talk Radio eleven ninety, the Mighty Mighty eleven ninety. If you are not in any of the ose cities, odds are you're listening online on the iHeartRadio app and you listen to it almost all over the world, and we thank you for that. Just download the app, look for high Tech Texan or Michael Garfield you can listen and then after the show, so I guess at about twenty five or thirty minutes, this show will be put on the podcast right Callum Calum Rain who has done it for so many years. Thank you so much for doing that. Will Will, I don't even it's gonna last that long. Today is Saturday is the deadline that TikTok if it's not bought or sold to a US based company, that TikTok could be banned because it is owned by the Chinese government along with cap cut, which is my favorite and one of my most used apps. By the way, cap cuts great video editor app. And I talked about that about a segment ago. It happened last January. It was right on inauguration weekend where the TikTok band did go into effect for like what was it three days, TikTok cannot be accessed cap cut. I don't care. I don't have TikTok, but I use cap cut. A lot of people use it because it is one of the easiest video editing apps, especially for social media. That's how I edit all my apps. And it came back online three days later. But allegedly it's I don't know, maybe the government is going to push it back again. They're trying to divest it from China and have somebody if you I don't know, I'll chip in a few bucks if I want to buy the thing. I'm not sure. I just don't want cap cut to go away. So I was promised, what do you use for all it? Because social media? I've done the show for twenty three years and social media it literally did not exist when we began this show. If people wanted to contact me, it was a phone number, which we still use, and they could send snail mail. They get sense now. I used to get hate mail in the mouth. People used to spend what was it, twenty six, twenty six cents a stamp. I don't know what it was, way back a quarter of a century ago, and they used to say Michael who were you? I hate you. I hate your voice. You don't know anything about technology, that's right. It was so tough, much tougher back in the day to rag on me. Nowadays you send an email. It's so much it's so much easier. But there was certainly no social media. Twitter came along, Facebook came along, and then now there's there's so many of them right now. But we utilize social media. We are encouraged by our employers. My TV stations that I work with or radio stations got to be on social media. Do some video, do some video well? I like editing video. I wanted to make a look professional. That's my background. Got a radiotelligience film degree, so I use it. So if cap cup gets cap cut gets banned, what do you do? Well, if you're an Apple user, you could use Final Cut Pro. There's a Final Cut Pro eleven. It was just up last November. Some AI enabled tools. I have not used it. I don't. I am not in the Apple Eco Apple ecosystem. It is a pro video editing program. I know my my middle son who is a video editor. That's what he does. And if anybody needs podcast or anything edited, I'm more than happy to put you in touch with him. He uses Final Cup Pro. He likes it. I could figure it out, I'm sure, because I'm sure as well latively simple. But I don't have an Apple, So that's that, all right. So that's one. Adobe has something called Adobe Premiere Pro. Right. There's also another one, Adobe Premiere Rush could be a good option. There's a free one. There's Adobe Premiere Pro Light. You can use that on your phone or your desktop. Premiere Rush, by the way, it's designed specifically for career beading social videos. There's even an in app camera that you can shoot with. I haven't used it. Dobe Solid Company that's something else. Here's one. I haven't tried it yet, but anecdotally I've been asking people about it because I see ads on my Instagram account. It's called v'd v eed. I if anybody any of my listeners, and I love you listeners out there because you do provide so much content for my show. And I'm serious about this. If you've used VD, if you like VD, if you hate VD, did you let me know I may need to try it? My phone number three four six twenty nine, Texan. You could email me Michael at high Tech textan dot com go on my social feeds, which is high tech Textan. They've been advertising a lot and it looks pretty cool and it's meant for as I've did some research v'd it's meant for the up and comer, the person really just trying to get started. And it's got some AI features that I see, so the very beginner friendly things that allegedly AI can actually do the video editing for you, which I can dig. That's cool. Apparently it does offer a free plan, but there's a lot of limitations on the features that is going to probably cause you to upgrade to the pay plan, which is anywhere between twelve to thirty dollars per month. That's that's kind of steep. I mean, even the paid plan on cap cut, I don't think it's that much money. There's a if you do a free video, there's a watermark. I don't want a watermark on there. I don't need this is feed I don't need that. So it's probably one of the reasons having huge VT. But I would like to hear some feedback on But there's another option over there. There's one called splice. I think I asked my son when cap cut and TikTok went down in January. I asked my social media influencer son, my young one, what else is there? I think he told me to download Splice. I think I used it or try to use it once and then cap cut was back online. Very beginner friendly program walks through how to use the tools, really doesn't overload you with features. You can manually edit your clips. You can maybe use some AI to let it do it. There's a seven day free trial before you have to upgrade to the pro version of Splice. It's about seventy bucks annually. I guess that's not big of a deal. If you do it annually, that's called Splice. If anybody's use Splice, let me know if that's good. And the one I want to talk about before we take a break over here, that was that that's coming soon. It's not out yet. It's from Instagram. It's from Instagram. Instagram. There's Instagram announced. This is where Instagram to me screwed up Instagram. You can use Instagram to rudemntry edit your videos, but nothing compared to some of these other video apps. Instagram is going to launch a free video editing app. It was announced a while ago go it's gonna be called Edits, and pretty much from when I heard it's gonna be a cap cut copycat edit was supposed to be released mid March, not launched yet. Now it says it could be as late as the end of this month April. According to the head of Instagram Adam Mussi, who I follow also on threads Threads same company, by the way, from Meta, Edits is gonna have an n app camera, a full suiteter creative tools, captions. You're gonna be able to share the drafts of your videos with friends. I can't judge it yet, but this was announced I think right around January when TikTok and cap cut went down. I appreciate the announcement. Instagram, what you should have done. You should have had this bad boy released because this would have been the marketing of all marketings. Because for three days or so we couldn't use TikTok. But I know I couldn't use my cap cut video video editing app for my Instagram videos. If Instagram had this edit program that was built in and it did almost the exact same thing, if not more than cap cut and was free, I never would have ever gone back to cap Cut, and I still may not when it's released. That was a perfect opportunity, but I could appreciate it. It wasn't ready yet. And the last thing you want to do is release a product, software or a hardware product that's not ready before it's time. It's like a fine wine. So I wasn't ready yet, but that would have been killer. So I am going to keep an eye on this, and I hopefully I'm going to get a little Beata version of this thing. And if anybody else tries the beta version, but it is from Instagram, it is called edits coming out soon. If it works as advertised and it's got features, this could be the cap cut killer. A lot of alliteration going over here in the high tech textan show stand by for that. I will let you know next week if TikTok and cap cut are still standing, if a US based company buys it, if tariffs are coming in, and who will be crowned the champion of the NCAA basketball tournament, We'll we'll all know that here in this coming week. We got one more segment. Don't go anywhere. I'm gonna give you the quick rundown of what I was driving last week. Some news on Tesla and how this Texas based company is in a big slump right now. And also if you have an EV, did you know there are actually some charging options that may not cost you anything. I bet you didn't know about. So we'll do a little car information here as we closed the show. From San Antonio on the Final Four is Michael Gargil High Tech Text Final, Final segment of the High Tech Text Show this weekend. We come to you from San Antonio, home of the Final Four. Excited to be here, Love you San Antonio. You could hear me every weekend on WAI twelve hundred along with Dallas and also Houston. Tersturly and thank you for downloading the iHeartRadio app less than what ten minutes, I'm hanging up this microphone and I am partying up and down the river walk. Go Coobs people. I'm just a Texas based team. We got a root for a little sad news. By the way, before we get into the final subject, a great actor passed away earlier this week. You've sure heard of it. Val Kilmer. Val Kilmer really quickly in my age group. He back in the eighties. He was intense. He was an amazing actor who just soaked his entire life up and down in every single character. Died at sixty five years old. He was diagnosed with throat cancer many years ago. He died of pneumonia. There's a number of different movies that you may remember him from, and I think there's essential some of his essential movies. His first one, I think was back in what eighty four was Top Secret. It was kind of a sendoff of of just a funny spy movie. It was a Zucker Abraham Zucker comedy. He was great. He was in Real Genius in nineteen eighty five, but to me, the greatest role, the most memorable role, without a doubt, was his Third Win in nineteen eighty six. He was and will always be Iceman in Top Gun, one of the greatest movies in my lifetime. Absolutely love it. He was the nemesis of Maverick of Tom Cruise. He reprised his role in Top Gun Maverick a few years ago, which is an amazing way. They brought his character back in Top Gun Maverick in twenty twenty two and almost foreshadowed of his impending death in real life because he was sick with throat cancer and it was very, very touching. There are some people who loved him in Batman Forever. There are some people who still think Tombstone was as Doc Holliday was his greatest movie. Breaking News. Never saw Tombstone. Don't have time to get into it. And some people think the Doors when he was Jim Morrison back in nineteen ninety one, I mean he immersed himself with that. He was great. Rest in peace. Great actor, that is. Val Kilmer just wanted to talk about that. We can bait next week, which was your favorite Vell Kimber movie. Got a few minutes over here. And I do talk a lot about vehicles. I test try vehicles. Thanks again to the great folks at Nissan also for helping me get to the final four. They are a big partner of the NC double A. Last week I was test driving in a Nissan, the new Nissan Armada Pro four X. Easially in the fifteen years that I've been test driving vehicles, and I know so many Nissans, the trucks, the cars, the Sedan's. This is their big one. It's a three to three row suv pound four pound dollar for dollar. One of my favorite is not the favorite suv I would always recommend, but this was the Pro four X version. Man, it is the upgraded things there are, seats, their technology. I really couldn't find anything anything bad to talk about or drive it. It is great, phenomenal and if you ever have the chance to drive it again. This is not an endorsement. I don't do endorsements for cars or dealerships. Go find a Nissan and drive it. If you want an suv. I don't know. There are no dealerships for Tesla. Tesla doesn't deal with dealerships. You just got to go straight and buy one directly, well from Tesla, going to the gallery and buy one of these things. Tesla, Texas based company. We'll release their company sales. They dropped thirteen percent year over year. I'm not making a political statement. I'm giving you facts here. Okay. There is fallout with Elon Musk, involvement with what's going on in the administration. Whether you want to blame it on whatever this or not. Maybe you don't like Tesla, maybe you don't like the batteries, maybe you don't like something. Tesla' fell staggering. It really is thirteen percent in the first quarter of this year. Year over year, it produced three hundred and sixty two thousand vehicles in the first three months of this year. That's the Model three, that's the Model Why all right, along with seventeen thousand other vehicles which maybe have been the cyber truck. It was Tesla's worst production and delivery report in three years. Please note, I am not a Debbie downer. I am not the guide, and if you've listened to me for two decades, I am the most opt to. I make Annie look like a pessimist. I'm an optimist people. I don't like report and bad news. But analysts had expected Tesla's to report to deliveries to go down, and they did. The deliveries were impacted by the production changeover for the refreshed Model Why that just recently started making its way to customers. Maybe it's going to pick up again, but there were some struggling and troubling signs for the Eve Automaker. Stock price fell forty six percent of its value since the beginning of this here alone right, there's now all manufacturers with the tariff, and I've talked about it is not Tesla is not, despite which you think a one hundred percent made American car. It's yes, it's final assembly right here in this great state of Texas, not far from I'm broadcasting from in San Antonio, just up the road in the Austin area. They get fifteen to forty percent of its parts from outside of the United States. So there's going to be some tariff potentially a price increase on that thing too. But that was relatively bad news. But speaking of evs, one of the reasons and this is anecdotically, a lot of people don't purchase evs, and they say it's until the range gets better, until it's more than two hundred and fifty or three hundred miles of range, they don't want to buy it. And I say this, it's not the range that you should be worried about, because there are some cars right now that don't even get three hundred miles or so, maybe even on a gas tank, smaller cars with smaller tanks. Right it's not the range. Fine with a three hundred mile three hundred fifty mile range of an EV even at the top level. To me, it's the battery charging infrastructure that we have in the United States. I am not waiting one hour or more to charge my freaking battery. Sorry, I got ADHD. I don't puts around. I want to pull up to a gas station. I want to fill my tank in five days seven minutes, and I want to be on my road. You tell me where I could charge my battery in five to seven minutes. I'm down. I'm gonna get this thing. So nomenclature or the way you say it, it's the batteries, not the range itself. But I also found out there are some ways that you don't know where you actually can get free charges. If you look, if you're going to cinemag by the way, if you ever go to see an actual real movie, there are a lot of cinemaks who actually have free chargers right outside. They may not be the fastest charger, but I saw these. They have one hundred and sixty free EV charging stations available at select locations, maybe one near you go check that out. There are some hotels if you stay at a hotel, that have free charging for EV all right by the way. If you go to like Charles, which I do sometimes once in a while, the two big actually the three big hotels, Gold Nugget, the Era's New Casino, which is out there too, and Le Burge du Lac. To the best of my knowledge, and I saw this in December. None of them have an electric charger. People, get your stuff together. I'd be going there much more often. You have to look, you have to hunt, because there are ways to do this. There are some schools, some universities that will give students, professors and staff free charging. All right, So if you're a student who has an EV, your money is going away. She actually should be paying for your education other than buy an expensive EV. I saw that too. There are some free places like visiting parks, museums or other public spaces. If there's there's some in them all that if you sit there and watch a commercial on the outside of the screen, you're gonna get thirty minutes of free charging too. To a map. Charging services like charge hub, charge Finder, plug Share, they have maps that actually can show you where you can get free charging. Some of them you do have to pay for. So there is your update when it comes to charging. I know I don't have a lot of time. I drove up here. Did not I specifically because I knew I was driving Houston to San Antonio this weekend, where I lived to the Final Four. I specifically asked the company that actually delivers me these test cards. I said, do not give me an EV this week. I am not stopping halfway on I ten to charge in this thing. I want a gas charger. Maybe one day before I end this show. We're going to have a battery charging infrastructure the United States that's going to allow me to drive from Dallas to San Antonio to Austin to Houston backward, like on a place a way that I could stop somewhere, charge up in ten minutes or so, and I'll be on the web by.
Speaker 6: The last an PAP.
Speaker 4: You know, it's time for it's time for me to say goodbye. I for me to thank you for doing me. It is time for me to go up and down the river walk of San Antonio and get ready for tip off of the first game is the Final Four. You're a Houston Cooper fan, the only Houston team in the Final Four.
Speaker 1: Go Coogs.
Speaker 4: I do thank you for tuning in. Thank you Brian ericson Mad Martini, Paul Lambert, everybody who else runs these iHeart stations that I'm on callum read will thank you for putting this on the old podcast good iHeartRadio and download this you can listen to me again for two more hours. And my name is Michael Farkfield. We will talk to you next week. Happy April my friends. My name is Garth and right now my show is over.