Speaker 1: Caloroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey there, it's one of the worst days of the year. It's back to workday. I'm so glad I worked for myself. And hello, I am Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news, A daily briefing on stand up comedy comedians in the comedy industry, which is a sense that you would say if you are successfully seeing increases in your Spotify downloads as you're trying to goose the Spotify algorithm, that's just a pro tip there. Hopefully the comedians get back to work. It's getting a little thin out there. I've got enough for you today, especially as we catch up on New Year's Eve. Bert Kreischer's New Year's Eve special. Not sure it went too well. I've been looking for recaps, haven't seen any that were good. People on social media did not like it, and CBS had a technical snaff who they lost the broadcast of New Year's EV Live Nashville's Big Bash for twelve minutes. Again, I've been working in radio since nineteen ninety two. Twelve minutes is an eternity. If there weren't some emergency conference calls on New Year's Day, there's a meeting today I used to work with a guy named Frank. Frank would be holding a meeting this morning, going how did this happen? And how does this never happen again? So to all the Franks out there, enjoy your meeting. A twelve minute gap. So what did they do, Johnny Mack? They started running Mattlock. Can you imagine You've got this big New Year's Eve show, You're trying to take on Ryan Seacrest and it drops to the point where like you don't know what to do, so you throw on matt Lock. That is a technical disaster, and that's just you know, it's New Year's Eve, you're having a party. You're not gonna leave matt Lock on. Everyone's going to turn that off. The interruption came about fifty minutes into the five and a half hour special. I had no idea that special was that long. That's crazy. So what happened was at about eleven to fifty pm Eastern, which is exactly what you don't want this to happen. Laney Wilson was in the middle of a song when suddenly was interrupted. Shortly thereafter, a voice mentioned technical difficult. Does a network still have the live announcer in the booth, sitting there all day. They probably do just for this. So CBS cut to a string of commercials. Been there, done that. That's what you do when something goes sideways, you just clear out all the spots. Then they threw on Mattlock that appeared to start in progress. So they were probably dead rolling as the term dead rolling Mattlock in case such a thing happens. So during a live show you might run something in the background. Another reason you would do that is to keep your automation systems on time. That's my guest there. So somebody who was dead rolling Mattlock ran out of commercials or hit the panic button, was like, hey, I don't know how to get this back up. Well it's like midnight. So are you calling the CBS boss? Whoever's making this call me like, hey boss, we don't know how to get Chrysler back up. What should we do? Should we run the Mattlock tape? So somebody had to make that decision. Oh, the meeting today is going to be amazing. Can I sit in on it? Can you guys invite me to the meeting? I just want to sit in on it cause these are much more fun when You're not the one explaining what happened. You don't understand. This is a whole stress point. You know what I did on my tenth anniversary, Well, my tenth anniversary was in the middle of my week's vacation, and my boss told me I had to come into New York City to sit at my desk to monitor just in case the broadcast of Jamie Fox's show from the Democratic National Convention went down. The DNC was not was not New York City, so I had to come in to an office, sit there, blow off my wife on our tenth anniversary, and just sit there miserable till like eleven thirty at night, just in case the thing dropped. It did not drop. So I can't imagine the meeting they're having today. I want to sit in on it. After about twelve and a half minutes, Bert Krasier and Country Singer Party came back on and apologized for the interruption. Gretchen Wilson and to this stage, oh that sounds wonderfully horrible. Also on New Year's Eve, Stephen Colbert was on Anderson Cooper and Andy Code Show. Apparently their whole hey Let's get drunk on the air thing got a little little out there.
Speaker 1: This was weird.
Speaker 2: Is that really the best idea? Guys, Hey, let's get our host drunk on the Is that really the best look for CNN?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Stephen Colbert told Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen don't trust billionaires. They don't get rich by finding that money on the side of the road. Brother, These last five months of Stephen Colbert's TV show might get a little interesting. So there I was. It was New Year's Eve. I was watching the Knicks. So while watching the Knicks, I was also playing on my phone. And let me get serious here, it is nice to have friends in this world. And this has I've been thinking about this for days and it made me happy, and it made me a little sad. So normally on Wednesday nights, more often than not, you'll find me at trivia over at the brewery, unless it's volleyball season. See, my guys, We're of Beach Volleyball team, a bunch of guys. I'm like the young one and I'm fifty six. And I'll tell you the name of our team. Name of our team is We're Old, so relaxed. And now the reason it's called We're Old so relaxed. Is so when you twenty somethings show up with the spike in your facers, you go, who we playing? Oh, we're playing and we're old, so relaxed.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 2: And then we show up when we're all in our late fifties plus and you go, oh, I'm the hell down. We're just there to have fun. It's suburban Morristown, New Jersey, volleyball relax. So that's what I do in the summer, but in the winter I go play trivia. You gonta understand Morristown, New Jersey on New Year's Eve is a zoo. And my dog better stop barking. You can hear the dog. Hopefully the noise reduction got the dog.
Speaker 1: Dog.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to be serious here for a second, stop barking. You know what the dog's barking in. I'll tell you what it's barking at. As I record this, it's three oh one pm. The robovac goes out at three o'clock. Three times a week. The robovac goes around the living room to clean up the dog. Here. We do this every other day, and the dog just like girl, where was I? Normally I go to trivia, but I didn't want it to go with Morristown, so I stayed home. So I'm playing on my phone and watching the things and Jeff. Jeff is one of the quote unquote trivia guys. There's Bob and there's Jeff. They're both really cool and sometimes Johnny Max had one beer too many and argues the points on the questions and they go all right. Normally he's not a total a hole. We'll let him go on this one. I've learned over the years. Just stop arguing. You're gonna win a sticker. Calm down. Actually there was a gift certificate if you finished first. Pretty good one too. Anyway, there I am. I'm playing on my phone and I go on Facebook and I see from Jeff, who's one of the trivia guys. And Jeff, seriously, dude, bro, this meant so much to me, and this made me just made me feel loved and also guilty that I stated, boy, I wish I had been there for this. I really wish i'd been there. I'll ask the audience the question that Jeff posted, question five the topic. Shout out Johnny Mack the question and I'll answer it after the break. The Daily Comedy News podcast reported that Billboard reported that this comedian's Big Dummies World Tour was the top grossing comedy tour of twenty twenty five, grossing fifty six point seven million dollars on six hundred and seventy seven thousand tickets sold. That was a trivia question. I would have gotten that one right, although for laughs, I would have dumped that on Glenn and made him stress, and Glenn would have went, I don't know, so Jeff, Thank you so much. Jeff, one of the trivia guys. They're best men Trivia if you were. I don't know how far these guys go. They come to Morristown, New Jersey, and I know they do a bunch of things. If you draw, I don't know, I'm making this number up a twenty mile circle round that. Jeff might be throwing his phone across the room going, we're not going twenty miles. Or maybe it's like I'll go two hundred miles.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Ask them best men Trivia. They were on a really nice show to super Pro. I'm usually home by nine point thirty. Again, I'm fifty six years old. That's a bonus, Jeff. Thank you so much for that. I'll reveal the answer after the break. Amy Schumer likes somebody talk about her, so she went on Instagram on New Year's Eve. She posted Happy New Year hashtag sensual photo. People magazine describes a picture as featuring the newly single Shumer sitting alone on a sofa in a dimly room. She wore a loose fitting T shirt underneath the black hoodie and was makeup free, with her hair and a bonytail. She also crossed her eyes and made a funny face while holding on to a container of spaghetti. Amy, why don't you take a time out from social media? That's just some free advice. Just want you chill out for I don't know a month, figure out what's going on with your divorce, get your life together, and then come out with a new special. Okay, just stay off Instagram. Just trying to help. Now, you know what today is? Today's the kickoff for Comedy Survivor. So at noon Eastern today there'll be a bonus episode explaining Comedy Survivor. The short version. Here sixteen comedians on a hypothetical island. You guys are going to vote someone off. You'll go to the Facebook group, which is Daily Comedy News podcast group. I'll tell you the contestants and all that in the bonus episode out at noon today. If you're listening between seven am Eastern and noon Eastern, voting is already live. You go to the Facebook group and you could vote someone off. If you voted off Amy Schumer. Hey, that's up to you. I'm not saying as host, it wouldn't be cool for me to suggest who you vote off. That's not cool at all. I'm the omniscient toast. You know, Jeff on the Survivor shows, not trivia Jeff Jeff Probs. Jeff Probes doesn't show up and be like, you know, if you wanted to vote Boston rob off, I wouldn't be the wepsete about that, like he wouldn't do. I love Boston Roup. Can I tell you how much I love Boston Roup. I love Busting Rup. Anyway, bonus episode coming out at noon today. Now over at the eight hundred Pound Gorilla. You know what they did. They sent me publicity. You know how I complained about the Hulu publicist, that the Hulu publicist will not engage with me. The eight hundred pound Gorilla people are the opposite. They're like, hey, new special and I was like, oh, what's this new special. It's a new CrowdWork special from Jen Marco Siasi. Three time guest and Friend of the Show John Marco hasn't gone all Jim Gaffigan Honus No Friend of the Show comes on his best CrowdWork moments from twenty twenty five, from messed up family stories to theater kid confessions and unhinged overshares, Jen Marco successfully turns chaos into punchlines. I shared a link to that in the Facebook group which is Daily Comedy News podcast group and don't forget Comedy Survivors there And if you voted off Amy Schumer, I mean that's on you. You pick who you want to vote off. The Great Outdoors Comedy Festival announced its lineup for its sixth year as one of North America's premier destinations for live comedy. That's code for Canada. Matt Rife will headline across all six GOCF weekends Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Calgary, Spokane and Vancouver, bringing his magnetic stage presence, razor sharp crowd work and viral appeal to outdoor venues. Throughout the summer. Comedian, actor, TV hosts and host of The Golden Globes, Nicki Glazer will headline in Halifax, closing out the weekend alongside Fortune Fimester and Steph Tolev with more twenty twenty six lineup reveals to come. So here's what we know so far. Edmonton Friday, July seventeenth, TBA, Saturday, Rife Sunday TBA. Then in Winnipeg that same weekend Friday, TBA, Saturday, TBA, Sunday Matt Rife and Friends. Okay, interesting how they're having simultaneous ones in Edmonton and Winnipeg. Halifax. You guys got to wait till August sixth, Thursday Night, Matt Rife, Friday, More Matt Rife, Saturday, TBA, Sunday, Nikki Glazer, Fortune Feaster, Steph Tolev. Then at the end of August in Calgary Friday night, August twenty eighth, Matt Rife, Saturday and Sunday TBA. Then, because that's in North America, they come all the way down south to Spokane, Washington for Friday, August twentieth, TBA, Saturday the twenty ninth, Matt Rife and Friends and on the thirtieth, TBA, Boy, TBA might be Comedian of the Year. And if you're in Vancouver or the suburbs, I don't know where you live. In Stanley Park, which is an awesome park across from Stanley Park. When I was there, it's fifteen years ago. Now there was a bike rental shop. It has to still be there. I wanted to just give up my life, move to Vancouver, buy that bike shop and just rent bikes to tourists. I don't know anything about BIC schools, or how to operate a shop, or how you move to Canada and own a business. I don't know how that works. But boy, I loved Stanley Park. And if I'm there on Sunday, August thirtieth, I'll see Matt Rife and maybe I'll rent a bike and ride past him. All right, chucking a driving today, getting a pretty decent show. Actually bounced a couple stories, which is a luxury if you're me again. Comedy Survivor begins today. They'll be a bonus episode at noon Eastern Vote one person off now through end of day Thursday. Voting will be over when I wake up on Friday. Why John, Because John wants to record these on Friday. That's why.
Speaker 1: Oh and I forgot to tell you the trivia answer when I was on a proper microphone. I'm dropping this in as part of the edit. The answer to the trivia question was, of course, Nate Burghetzi. Jim Brewer spoke to The Christian Post. I found this really interesting. I worked with Jim Brewer when he had the radio show at Series. We were there together for ten years, traveled with Jim. I'm very fond of Jim. We had a lot of real conversations, and everything I read here really is in line with what Jim is all about. So Jim tells them a story that it ran into a young woman at a camera store who had recognized Jim from Saturday Night Live and told Jim about her intention to move to la to make it big in the entertainment business. When Jim realized how excited she was just to see Jim Brewer, he began to feel a paternal instinct to protect her from the industry. That is very very Jim. As Jim told The Christian Post, all you think about is like, if this kid goes to California and she's this excited for me, I'm a nobody. I'm not a producer. If you go out to LA and you're putting yourself out that hard, these demonic monsters they see you coming. Jim said he had a forty five minute conversation with the girl and explained how predators in the entertainment business will chew her up and discard her. That is very Jim, and Jim's not wrong.
Speaker 2: I got honest with her. I talked about people I know, I got sucked up by this industry drugs. I got so honest and real with her. By the time it was over, she was like, wow, I never thought of that stuff. I went, No, nobody, does you need to know these things? So I'm telling you right now, I can tell you willing to listen to anyone, and they will take advantage of you and they will target you. Trust me, and that's exactly I Again, I know Jim pretty well. He would have slowed down and he would have said, trust me, you know what, let's get out on that one today. That's your comedy news for today. Comedy Survivor coming up at noon Eastern, and a normal episode tomorrow. See you then,