Speaker 1: That even his own staffers have grown uneasy about the inner workings of the White House, especially as they relate to a certain presidential staffer. Natalie Harp Let's discuss with New York Times reporter Maggie Haverman.
Speaker 2: She is the one of the co authors of.
Speaker 1: The new book Regime Change. It is a New York Times bestseller. And Maggie, great to see you. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been too long. We haven't caught up in a while as well.
Speaker 2: It's like old.
Speaker 3: Times congratulations on everything.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, and you as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I saw what it's now eight weeks now on the bestseller lists.
Speaker 2: Wonderful.
Speaker 3: Thank you. No, Jonathan and I were, it's gone beyond anything that we could have hoped. We're immensely grateful that people are reading it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's hard work putting a book out, I know, and it's you know, it can be so stressful. And I'm sure you're already getting hit up with the ideas.
Speaker 2: Hey, can we do a second book? You know, the term's not over yet.
Speaker 3: And that's not just we're not going to go over great with our with our with our families. But that's okay. Here we are.
Speaker 2: I hear you, I know you.
Speaker 1: There's so many different places to start, Maggie, and you've been doing terrific reporting obviously on the second term, so as Jonathan Swan.
Speaker 2: You guys are both a great team.
Speaker 1: I guess we I guess we could start with the Natalie Harp stuff. I don't know it it is sort of is it symbolic of a lot of the problems that they have inside the White House?
Speaker 2: Uh? And I think what is really interesting.
Speaker 1: These days is the way that I guess other staffers have been leaking and in some cases showing reporters photographs of things that indicate that there may be a problem with Natalie Harp and uh. And she's of course the young stafford who has been sort of at Donald Trump's side here everywhere he goes.
Speaker 2: There's this ms NOW reporting.
Speaker 1: And perhaps you picked up on some of this too when you have your conversations with Staffords that it.
Speaker 2: Took her a year.
Speaker 1: I think it was to get a security clearance, and you know, just to kind of start with the news, I guess you declined multiple times over more than a year to seek a routine security clearance that you know, and I remember from my White House.
Speaker 2: Days that was supposed to be a pretty important thing.
Speaker 1: What do you make of I guess the thing that is disturbing is, yes, you know, she waited a year to get a security clearance, and I guess maybe she had to be talked into it by Donald Trump. But the fact that the staffers are leaking this and they're uncomfortable with this?
Speaker 2: What have you made of that?
Speaker 3: So we don't have the same reporting that MS now does that you know. Our understanding is that she was granted a temporary clearance the way that I think almost half of the current staff were and possibly all of them on January twentieth when they came in, and that she then did fill out her paperwork. But again I haven't seen the timing of the paperwork. I don't know. We just done the same reporting on this. But the concerns about Heart predate this White House. Jonathan and I get in depth in the book about how you know she was with Trump as a handful of staffers were when he was at his lowest. She came in and I think it was either twenty twenty one or twenty twenty two she started out doing press things, you know, things with media response, and then at some point she started accompanying him on the golf course, providing him with pieces of positive news. She started carrying around a portable printer, which is why her colleagues on the campaign began referring to her as the human printer because she was battery operated and so forth. When she would go to court with him for the Alvin Bragg trial in twenty twenty four Manhattan, which was the one case in which she was convicted, criminally convicted, she would sit separate from the rest of the staff. There were a lot of tensions always, and I know that people would like to attribute it to a food fight. You know, obviously Trump is running something of a court, and how people react to that court is and engage in that court and try to hockey for position is reel. We saw it in term one. It's much more pronounced now. But it was also that this secret service was alarmed in part because she had left him these letters in his personal spaces that Jonathan about the book, one of which said, you know you are all that matters to me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: They were very emotional, and she is the most devoted of his aids. So the way that I look at it, Jim, is that she is the purest distillation of how Trump has totally remade the presidency for term two. That there were elements of this in term one. There were people who could play some version of this role, not like this, and this is really her entire role is being able to respond if he needs something. And you know, there have been other people who feel similar, you know, sort of comfort blanket roles for him. Boris Epstein, his top legal living wit won Michael Cohen in his day was one at Trump Teler. But we haven't seen this in the White House this way way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this goes way beyond Hope picks in the first term. This goes beyond like Johnny mcintee. I remember him during the first term, and is it because does any even have to do do you think with his cognitive state, his state of mind, why does he need this this devotion, this cult like devotion during this second second go round.
Speaker 3: I don't think it has anything to do with with you know, age or anything like that. I think other than that when people become sort of a more pronounced version of themselves, the older, they get loyalty as we know, has always been the coin of the realm. You know, so has a willingness to do what he wants in terms of, you know, not just being prepared to provide positive information. But she is a conduit not just for him to reach other people who he sees defending him on television, but for other people to reach him through you know, not going through the press office, not going through the chief of staff, not going through official channels, not going through the staff secretary in the White House. And that is how he wants it. He wants information fast, he wants This has always been who he is. You know this, you covered him. He has rebuilt this White House in a tremendously personalist way. It trickles down to everything. And so to me, this is just a this is a living, breathing example of that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's really fascinating. And I guess, you know, getting to his state of mind and where he is right now. I mean, you know, one of the things that has been really strange to me this time around.
Speaker 2: Is, you know, he falls asleep.
Speaker 1: He seems to have physical problems, the bruises on the hands. I mean, I don't recall him ever falling asleep in the Oval office I covered him during the first time, or really anywhere. He was kind of an energetic guy. You can say whatever you want about him, and he seems to be obsessed with I mean it not seems he is obsessed with remaking the White House, remaking buildings in the nation's capital, putting his name on things. I mean, just the other day he was talking about flag poles and other stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, the gold stuff that's everywhere. Just to get to one of the questions.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you, yeah, please, maybe more than anything during this, Maggie, do you think that he's all there?
Speaker 3: I have no indication that he's I mean obviously that I'm not a doctor, and we don't see him as often as we used to. I mean, that is that is very true what you said at the top of this about just this this bit that you were asking about, you know, physical problems. I mean, it's not there's no question. I mean, the bruising on the hand has been going on for two years, maybe a little under. The answer that we've always gotten when we asked about it is that you know, it's from handshaking and because he you know, gets marks on his hand. That's always been a little hard to understand. He takes a very large aspirin regimen. You know, AskMen can be used as a blood dinner, but he is taking a dose that, according to what I have read from experts, is quite large. There is the swelling of the ankles, there's the as you said, there's the eye closure, which is either sleeping or transcendental meditation or god knows what, but the I mean, you know, he also then can open his eyes and it's clearly awake. I don't know and heard some of it. I don't know quite what that is. I do know when he was in court in twenty twenty four, he was sleeping at times and then other times he was just closing his eyes, and it seemed to be just sort of putting himself somewhere else. But he's eighty and they are not transparent about his health. He had been taking more frequent trips to Walter Reed, and they have released less and less information. He said that he was seen by twenty two specialists. I don't even know who that could be. But these are all valid questions for a president. But I will say that Jonathan and I spent an hour with him in for a fact checking interview for this book, and we did not detect really anything different with him in terms of his engagement with us, in terms of the questions that he was answering, in terms of how this interview was going. Obviously, he tells stories that last longer, and he speaks his speaking style is slower, which happens when people get older. I did not notice a difference. But again we see it. We only see what we see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's true. And it was during that was it during that interview where.
Speaker 1: He started talking about Mao and Stalin and Hitler and antilobehont and all.
Speaker 2: What was I mean? What was that? I mean? Because I do think this time around, and it does tie to the theme of your book that yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that there's there's there's a want to be authoritarian autocrat. You know, if you want to be diplomatic about it, you could just say he aspires to be, you know, thought of in that category of really bad people.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means? What what what do you take away from it?
Speaker 3: Well, so what happened in that in that moment is and that also actually involved Natalie Harp. We had been asking for this interview for a while, and we wanted a fact checking interview. We did not want to do Open Mic Night with Donald Trump. And he's given very few of these longer interviews this term. You know, he did many of them last time, but it's been much more of a controlled environment this time. He does take lots of phone calls from reporters, but those calls last a pretty brief amount of time and he generally sets the terms of them. So we started asking through the Press office in January, and we were really at the end of our reporting process, with the exception of a couple of pieces, and the main one would be the Iran War, but which hadn't begun yet. We were getting installed. The Press Office was not, you know, not complying, or I should say not complying, but they just were telling us this wasn't going to happen. So finally we went directly to him and we both texted him, we called him. He didn't actually respond to us, he did direct to his comms team to set this interview up. And so we came in March sixteenth, and it's the seventeenth day of the war, and neither Jonathan nor I had been in the Oval office. Actually this term, we have a pretty big White House team. We're not in the pool as often as we used to be. The White House controls the outlets they're there, so it's really a censorial kind of overload with all of the gold everywhere. It was really I mean, remember he put like nothing up last time. I think there was like a Ruster two and some pictures on the credenza behind him. There is not an inch of that office that is not covered at this point. And we had heard that he was putting up these old Challenge coins and indeed there they were. So it's weird. Well, he's you know, he is obsessed with design. He was in New York. That's what he likes talking about. He likes talking about construction projects and building and so forth. But to the extent that he is very determined to make it hard to sort of not make his presence felt this time. That was the exact sample. So that was he started talking to us about maple trees, and he didn't have he wasn't showing us maps of the Middle East or anything like that. He held up these pictures and he said, I'm picking trees for the White House. Maple trees. I'm good at picking trees, something like that. Then there were the you know, models of the ballroom. There were pictures of the models of the ballroom, and that are the columns. These are for Rome. These are evocative of Athens. So about fifteen minutes in we asked him a question about power, because we knew that he had been telling people that he was the most powerful president there had been, and he had said publicly that you know, no other president would do half the shit I've done, and so that was the quote. So we asked him, were you the most powerful he was president there has been? You know, do you see it that way? And he sat and he thought about it for a second and he said, you know, Natalie, go get the I'm paraphrasing, but it was get the pages from the historian. And she goes off and she comes back with these three copies of a two pager. I get one, Jonathan gets one. Trump gets one. And Jonathan was to my right and he says, do you know who Gary Player is? And we weren't really sure where this was going. And Gary Player is a famous golfer. He said that Gary Player had a historian who had all these thoughts about Trump the Trump presidency and wrote them up and wanted Trump to see it. And the first paragraph was Donald Trump is the most powerful person who has ever walked the face of the earth. On paraphsing, but again that was really it. And then it goes on to describe what Trump calls the top ten of histories, conquerors and monsters, Attila the Hunt, Genghis Khan now Stalin, Napoleon Hitler, Alexander the Great, I don't remember if by Sibilian the Conqueror, Tamerlane, the Caesars, and Trump was the thesis here was that Trump was more powerful than these people because he has the US military, because of the ability to travel, and because he's willing to use his power. And he was not talking about it from any moral dimension. It was literally just power, and with the hyperboleas side, it was in terms of the most powerful ever to walk the planet. He was really presenting to us essentially the thesis of our book, which is this massive expansion of executive power and the prison through which we were looking at this first fourteen months back. So he is he is in our reporting, Jim focused on being you know, a capital G grade man of history. You know, he is determined to be remembered. That is also what the monuments to sell for about. But that is not necessarily what voters elected him to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to bring in our Tommy Christopher here in just a moment.
Speaker 2: But just to button that up. You know, Maggie, you and I both are from Earth one. We understand what you know. You know how they things work.
Speaker 1: When great presidents come along in the United States, we build monuments to them, we remember them, usually after they're gone. Trump wants to do this while he's alive. Do you have any insight as to why that is? Because I mean, to me, I'm not there every day. I'm not reporting on him anymore, day in and day out. It just seems totally nuts to me. It's just and I you know, I do my thing now. I don't have to hear the standards office who says, how can you say he's totally nuts? But that just strikes me as totally nuts. What are your insights into why he does this?
Speaker 3: I don't think I don't think it's I don't think it's nuts because I actually think it's completely consistent with who he is. It's just he's always been Yeah. I mean, I think it's like I just look at it slightly differently. There's absolutely no precedent in the US for a sitting president to dedicate monuments to themselves. In fact, presidents have historically not done that when people have suggested it. And in the case of the Kennedy Center, that was a a congressionally created memorial to an assassinated president, and it was partly intended to evoke and honor what John Kennedy focused on as part of his rebuke of control of the arts in the Cold War by by autocratic countries. In fact, it was about that, you know, we are we the US capital, We you know, are are inviting of of culture and and we are interested in different forms of art. And so putting his name on the Kennedy Center is, you know, is one aspect and and that really that really infuriated and upset a lot of people who have been cocted with Kennedy Center of over a long period of time. He took control of the board early on. He started talking about that during the transition and our reporting, and we get into this in the book. He has always put his name on everything. One of the one of the underappreciated and little remembered facts of his time in New York is as a businessman well as a real estate developer. I should say in the nineteen eighties he at least one occasion sued someone who or or an entity that had the name Trump on their storefront, you know, for like some kind of an infringement. It was just you know, it's somebody else's name. And he has used lawsuits, and he has put his name on his own tower, and he watched in twenty sixteen as his name was taken down from buildings and in New York, he watched the City of New York take back possession of a golf course that he at least from the city in the Bronx. He actually ended up winning that back in a court fight. So you know, in our reporting, it's not just consistent with who he is and who's always been, which is seeing himself as separate from this presidency, but it's doing everything he can to make sure that that he can't be a waste this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't be a racist. I think that's a big part of Let's bring in Tommy Christopher. Tommy does our daily newsletter now Former Media reporter but also former colleague of Maggie Abram.
Speaker 2: We were all colleagues. Yeah, that's right here and there over the years. And Tommy, did you want to what were some of your questions?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: First of all, I was such an honor to talk to you, Maggie. I want to dive right in because I know we don't have much time, and I do. I just had two questions that I want to hope I can get to them. Yeah. My first question is I've been wanting to ask you this. Trump has attacked you on many occasions and I hate to say it out loud, but we're all reporters here. He called you maggot, which is one of the most disgusting things I could think of the call of person. And I wanted to know have you confronted him about that and did he apologize? That's my first question.
Speaker 3: No, and no, and I don't I don't care he can say like never never came back.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: I mean it's I would rather hear him answer my questions about what I want before one instead of argue about you know, the name calling, which is is expansive and it's.
Speaker 5: Like you've known him for so long and he's known you for some I mean professionally, I don't know. I mean, it's just but you know what props to you for being able to not personalize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not. It's just we have a job to do. He's going to do what he's going to do, and like I would rather use time to get information a questions.
Speaker 5: Let me be the first to say, for you stop that ship.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: So here's my other question, because I heard you talking to Jim and you know, he said, you know you, I hear you saying that you haven't seen a change in Trump's cognition. But I mean you're I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not a doctor, So like that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, so you have you have eyes and ears. You know, we all see Trump. He says crazy stuff all the time. He says race stuff, He tells insaying lies like hey, guys, remember that time all the TVs turned off because the wind stopped?
Speaker 3: So how is that different from what we were saying ten years I mean, I'm really being serious. This is my question.
Speaker 5: You're you're getting ahead of my question, which is right? I hear you're saying. Is it's not that he's not crazy, that he's as crazy as he's always been.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing a diagnostic, but I am saying that that this is he is exactly who he has always been, and he is exactly who you know I have always covered. I think is exactly who you guys have always covered. Do I think that he is eighty? And that shows yes, I do. I mean, that's but that's a different question. You know, the question that gets asked about cognition tends to be clinical about him, and I am not equipped to answer that. What I can say is that in my conversation with him in UH in the Oval office with Jonathan, and it was a small group, by the way. I mean often he and Jim knows this. He often would bring if you would go interview him, there would be like a phalanx of aids. He would roll very deep. It was just it was us and Caroline Leavitt and Stephen Jung and Natalie Hart. That was it. And so I didn't if there was opportunity, he wasn't. He wasn't hamming it up for other people, which you often would see in those situations. I really didn't detect a difference. I do think that that the insults are you know, far and wide, and he's doing it with more people, and I think that he whatever filter we write, we write about this in the book, whatever filter he had is pretty much gone. And some of that and some of that is you know, at least familiar to to age, at least from my experience, you know, the people who are you know, seventy five plus. But what that means for a broader question, I don't know, other than the fact that there's a legitimate conversation I have about whether eighty year olds or or or are wise to you know, keep electing.
Speaker 5: But I have two seconds to ask one more question. When we're on the subject, what do you make of the fact that he keeps bragging about passing this cognitive test that is basically for people who have had head injuries, And why doesn't anybody ever confront him about that and say, sir, this is not an IQ.
Speaker 3: Test, so the Mocha test Jiman, Yeah, I mean he's been talking about that since twenty twenty, and I don't know on the on the confronting him piece, there are so many things that people don't ask him about. And part of that is because my part of why he doesn't get asked. Is because they have taken control of the White House, the White House, which did not happen before.
Speaker 5: We lose Maggie there, Maggie, you know what, somebody doesn't want her to answer that question.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's it. But she froze for a second. There, Maggie froze for a second.
Speaker 5: Dog on it. This is and you know right now she's telling all I just oh, ship, Jimmy, you're frozen too.
Speaker 1: Now, guys know I'm here. I think we lost Maggie. Let's see him at her back in Maggie. Do we lose you there?
Speaker 2: Ah? I guess they say the curse of the live stream. We might have lost Maggie there.
Speaker 3: So you ask a real question and instead of getting back up from someone, it's you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're saying the same thing I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yes. And this is the best part of the interview. Right here.
Speaker 1: Damn, she jumped back in Let's see here. She might have jumped back in here there, there you are, Maggie.
Speaker 3: Hey, all right, I'll try to finish that answer very quickly. Can you hear me? Okay, yeah, yeah, I don't know what happened. Sorry, my wife, I got weird, which keeps happening the the You don't get back up when you ask a real question anymore, and so instead you have like an influencer that's like, or you know, why are you so handsome? Or whatever. One of the things that I would love if somebody asked him about is why do you keep saying that NATO has never done anything for the US? The one time that art of the five has been invoked was nine to eleven. I mean we're a couple of weeks out from the twenty fifth anniversary. It's you know, the biggest number of deaths and destruction was in the city that Trump comes from. There are a lot of questions that I wish people would follow up on with him. The MOCA is not high on my list, but not because I'm not interested in his health. If there is an area of failure on the reporting on our part in this book, it is his health. And it wasn't for lack of trying. It's just that it is a huge black box. But hopefully we will at some point learn more about presidential health.
Speaker 1: And just very quickly, Matt, you before you go, and I know we've gone over so your publisher will have to forgive me. But I do want to show this one quote from the book that I think is so vitally important from regime change, and if we can just put it up on screen and show it says domestically, there would be no piece. I was the hunted and now I'm the hunter, Trump told reporters on the White House lawn in June twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: And the hunter didn't.
Speaker 1: Think twice about ordering up DOJ investigations of his enemies or using every.
Speaker 2: Tool available to get to his to get his own way.
Speaker 1: Maggie, that that part of the book I think speaks volumes about where we are. I mean, that's we spend a lot of time talking about his cognitive stuff. He's cognitively well enough to carry out this this era of retribution.
Speaker 3: I do need to run. But I will say that, you know, there are a couple of defining characteristics of this administration, and the bullying campaigns across industries and the specific retribution campaigns coming from the DOJ, you know, are not like anything that I can recall in the modern presidency. There is just no post Watergate buffer between DJ and the White House anymore.
Speaker 1: No way exactly, that's right, all right, Well, the book is Regime Change inside the Imperial Presidency of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Maggie, thank you so much, and thank you all right.
Speaker 1: By that was Maggie Heerman, and just she's just done an amazing job with this book. She and Jonathan's won eight weeks on the New York Times bestseller list. Anybody in the publishing world will tell you that is enviable territory.
Speaker 2: So good for Maggie.
Speaker 1: And apologies for a couple of little technical hiccups there. Want to quickly go to to stay on the story of Natalie Harp and how she may have found her way into Trump's good graces and into this very close relationship with the President of the United States. Let's bring in Juliet Jesky of Decoding Fox News. Juliette, it is great to see you.
Speaker 2: As always.
Speaker 1: We were just we were peppering Maggie with lots of questions there, and as a very good reporter.
Speaker 2: She's stuck to the reporting of her book.
Speaker 1: But you know, even in our conversation with Maggie about one aspect of the book where he talks about how he thinks he's in the same category as people like Mao and Hitler and so apparently Natalie Harp was.
Speaker 2: In the room for that. So Natalie her she was sort of like the Forrest Gump of this administration. She's here, she's there, She's everywhere.
Speaker 1: But one of the things that you've been reporting on Juliette, and it's great to see the job you do it to coding Fox News is terrific. You've been looking at how she may have found herself in the good graces of Donald Trump by simply being an election denier like him, an election denier on steroids.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I covered OAN one American News Network, which is the channel that she used to work for.
Speaker 6: She used to be a correspondent. She had her own show.
Speaker 7: Somebody at OEN gave someone that young because she would have been like twenty nine thirty her own show right which she hosted. And I was covering OEN. She was not my focus. She was one of many people I covered. And when she started coming back in the news again, I went back through my archives from my capstone. This is all from grad school. All the clips I have of her are from five years ago, and nearly everything that she said had her main focus was election denialism. And it was every single show she would put at least seventy five percent of her focus on just talking about election denialism.
Speaker 6: And she didn't stop at just.
Speaker 7: Georgia and Arizona and Michigan. She would start talking like California was rigged, New Hampshire was rigged, any state was rigged, and she was completely committed. And another thing that she did that I thought was interesting is she'd always say.
Speaker 6: President Trump, President Trump, and of course he wasn't president at that time. This is twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, it's so true. And I think we have one of these clips to.
Speaker 1: Show the viewers where she's talking, you know, just speaking in Trumpian election denialism.
Speaker 2: Let's play a.
Speaker 4: Clip of that Colson Senate in twenty twenty two and the White Else in twenty twenty four. If we don't act on the fact that we actually did win the White House and the Senate in twenty twenty, we shouldn't be afraid to say that because it's true, and who exactly are these people? Will take a look at the breakdown the one hundred and one thousand, seven hundred and eighty nine obsolete voter files that will be removed include sixty seven thousand, two hundred and eighty six voter files associated with the National Change of Address form submitted to the US Postal Service.
Speaker 2: And she goes on about two hundred and twenty scent.
Speaker 1: This takes me back, Juliette, to the weird old days of twenty twenty one, where you know, Trump leaves office and disgrace we've had January six, and yet there are still people who will go on OAAN and talk about this nutty election denialism stuff as if Donald Trump actually won that election.
Speaker 2: And he still talks about this to this day.
Speaker 1: So he obviously has convinced himself of a lie. I mean, he used to know that it was a lie, and I don't know. I don't know what it is now that's going on in his head. But I wonder if this is how this is how she got on his radar screen.
Speaker 7: I guess she did a number of things that were really nutty when she was on that show, because I was always taken with her, because she was very striking with the platinum hair, and she's very pretty, and she always had the nice outfits on and for that network, that was a little unusual. How polished she was. And she would go on and she would weave in Bible quotes and quotes from gospel songs and she'd say, and Trump. So she'd go writing too, and the apostle Mark said, and then she would give this quote from the apostle Mark, and then she'd go and remember what Trump said, and it was like what the And it was just there was no line. It was like Jesus Trump, Jesus Trump, Trump, Jesus Trump Jesus. And it was very much cultish. I called her the other day the personification of Maga, like she is the ultimate Maga and so and the other thing that was odd in her beginning, she had this intro. They didn't have a lot of money at oan very low budget. Yeah, and they would show the pictures of her in the White House and and then there'd be pictures of Trump and again he was not the president, So why are you showing It would be like if I had a promo for my show and Biden woil.
Speaker 6: Is go on the screen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for no reason.
Speaker 6: You know, It's like very odd.
Speaker 7: And she did seem like desperately obsessed with Trump.
Speaker 6: And again this is even five years ago.
Speaker 7: So and she attacked Ruby Freeman, who was that poor uh oh, Yeah, she went on this whole thing about Ruby Freeman and how Ruby Freeman was part of the conspiracy to rig Georgia.
Speaker 6: And of course this was the election.
Speaker 1: Worker in Georgia who I think she ended up suing Rudy Giuliani and there was that whole saga.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she got a lot of money out of Rudy ju Judy because the court sided with her because she hadn't done anything wrong. So yeah, she it was like the most and I mean I watch Fox, I watch people who love Trump all the time on Fox, and she's probably the most extreme maga person I've ever seen on camera ever. She's just all the way in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know that takes me to where we are today. And when you see, you know, some of the things like Maggie Haberman has been reporting about these weird letters that she leaves around, you know, professing her devotion to him. And then there's the CNN reporting about her climbing in the back of an suv or the trunk or.
Speaker 2: Whatever it was, so she's in the motorcade.
Speaker 1: This apparently happened in twenty twenty three, and the most recent thing I'm seeing the MS NOW reporting where I guess she's stalled on getting a security clearance for a while. I mean, there's just weird, strange behavior, and apparently Trump himself had to intervene and get her to fill out the forms. It's just it's really strange. But as Maggie was saying, there's never been anybody like this before, Like this goes way beyond Hopicks, This goes way beyond some of the others.
Speaker 7: In the first term, it's it's I know, she ties in she's a cancer survivor, and apparently she still has cancer, I believe, but she's using a treatment that's kept it at bay. And she attributes Trump's Right to Try program to saving her life. But there were other programs like that that already existed well before Trump renamed it and called it Right to Try, because I researched that before. So it's a bit odd that she attributes solely Trump and Trump alone to saving her life, which that's strange because like, there was a doctor involved, and you know, there were probably other healthcare workers who were involved. She also gave a very odd speech where she said, oh, people wanted me to die, and I'm like, you're in your twenties, are you a cancer?
Speaker 6: Nobody wants you to I mean, nobody wants you to die.
Speaker 7: Ever you cancer, But like, I don't understand where that's coming from.
Speaker 6: And I've seen interviews with.
Speaker 2: Her brother and her victimhood.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very it's very odd. Her whole entire behavior is strange. And I was taken with her because she was kind of her own thing on OA.
Speaker 6: Nobody else. There are other people that were obsessed with the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 7: I would say that was primary a huge topic on the network at that time, but no one showed that level of just complete obsession devotion. Like she really wouldn't talk about anything else, and she kept having the same guests on over and over and they'd be, Oh, you work for the Make America Great pack, you know, and you work for Trump's campaign.
Speaker 6: There was no lie.
Speaker 7: I mean I joked that she was like the SNL version of Fox. I mean, it was just there was no attempt at like we're going to act.
Speaker 2: Had to clean it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had to basically stop doing it and run their our own corrections and every it's just been and I think we have another clip to show we should show another one of these clips, because you know, to me, it just typifies you know, if people were wondering how did she get in.
Speaker 4: But they wouldn't talk November third, or, as you said so perfectly, November fourth, because as we know, President Trump won November third.
Speaker 7: We'll just say I'm the only candidate in this race to say that President Trump one in twenty twenty, and I will work my artists every single day to ensure we get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 4: Awesome, you're right, Trump one. We'll see you later, Caroline. How complicit is Bill Barr in the crime of the Century? Well, Barr and McConnell started talking about this plan of action or non action mid November, even as thousands of witnesses we're still coming forward signing under penalty of perjury, Alpha davits testifying to what they saw go wrong on election night and election week. Guess and members of the Biden campaign and the DNC we're emailing before and after the election.
Speaker 3: You guessed it.
Speaker 4: They're friends at Facebook and Twitter.
Speaker 7: She was like accusing every Yeah, sorry, go ahead, She's accusing everybody all the time. Yeah, And that was I barely scratched the surface because I found out because she was out my focus. So I had labeled all of my oan hours just an one through eighty, no kidding, And a couple of months ago when I first put the first montage together, that just went viral again because I've posted it twice on social media. I've I just I reposted it because she she became trending again. I'm like, I'm just gonna put that video back up, and it completely.
Speaker 6: It was so huge, that became.
Speaker 7: A trending topic on Twitter or x whatever, and it said like Natalie Harp blah blah blah, and it was quoting my video and I was like, oh, I can't believe I'm a trending topic. But anyway, I had to go through all eighty of those hours and just scan for her because when I was in grad school, I got whatever I could get because I didn't have a normal schedule and I couldn't use DVR for I had to get it live, so and whenever I would get home from my internship or from classes, I would.
Speaker 6: Just slap it and get away in get it now.
Speaker 7: So sometimes with her, sometimes another show, and I purposely tried to mix it up so I got a variety. So I had to go through all eighty hours and just manually put them in eyemovie where you can pull the whole thing out, and just whenever I saw her face, I'm like, Natalie cut and then just to the end cut. And then I made a separate Natalie list of clips. And I still have hours and hours and hours to go through with a fine tooth comb, which I'm planning to do because when I put all of them together in one giant file and I searched for election, it showed up three hundred and thirty six times in the transcript. Iran showed up like eighty times. I'm like, oh, I'm having a field day with this. But it's you know, I have a regular job called decoding Fox News. It already kills me.
Speaker 1: So this this will probably be happening to sounds like something that would send you right over the edge.
Speaker 6: It's just because what was it funny about it?
Speaker 7: Is at least with Fox because Fox was sued, they are a little careful. Oh and they're like Facebook totally fixed this election.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Well, and she's talking about this Bill Barr and Mitch McConnell working together. I'm like, I don't remember that ever happening, but I guess you can just like make stuff up.
Speaker 2: And that's what Donald Trump does. Donald Trump makes stuff up.
Speaker 1: And I can see him sitting in a dark room with the TV on and feeling very upset about losing the election and trying to figure out how do I, you know, line my way back into power. And it almost as it's almost as though she left the breadcrumbs for him to follow, to continue to talk about how he had this this big lie to talk about how he actually won the twenty twenty election, which he just kept saying over and over again until he got the Republican Party to say it ye and make that lie their lie.
Speaker 2: And it's just one of the damnedest things. It just really is.
Speaker 1: And I, you know, to me, you know, and this goes back to what I was talking about with Maggie Haberman, is it really typifies it. And it underlines the difference between term one and term two, that you can have this these sort of cult like people around the President of the United States. There wasn't as much of that the first time around.
Speaker 7: Well, and it scares me too, because I feel like he's trying to do the same thing with the war with Iran, he just says, oh, the strait is open, the straight we've got, we've got the straight closed, or you know, he just changes every day. He says, we're gonna we're gonna destroy them with you know, we're gonna unleash fury and destroy their country. And then he doesn't do that, and then he says it again, and then it's like every day it's like, are you just trying to bluff your way through a war?
Speaker 2: You can that is? That is what he's doing. That is it's.
Speaker 6: No, go ahead, No, it's just insane.
Speaker 7: And I'm like and again, because he surrounded himself with people like Natalie Harp who just echo, yes, yes, you're correct, You're amazing. It's like when you watch one of the cabinet meetings and they go around the table at the cabinet meeting and the yeah, they're like you, I just want to say, thank you so much for hiring me to do this work for you.
Speaker 1: For you, and they have to outdo one another when it comes to sucking up to them. It's so so creepy and crazy. The other thing I want to ask you, ask you about before you go is because you do devote so much coverage to Fox and what they're saying and what they're reporting. I shouldn't say reporting what they're dishing out over there on that channel. How are they covering Natalie Harp? Are they ignoring it? Are they they're ignoring it?
Speaker 6: No, kidding, agnoring it. I have not seen or mentioned on anything. No, because you know I would put it together. I would put it together. I'd have both of those clips in a clip and I'd be like, ah no, because that's what I love to do. I love to get them in something like that. They have not.
Speaker 7: As far as the shows that I cover, I don't cover everything I cover. The shows are the biggest audience Primetime and the five and of Fox and Friends. I have not seen one mention of her yet because I don't think Fox wants to touch this because it is I.
Speaker 1: Know Water said something about ASoft, did he says something about osof the other day.
Speaker 6: He might he might have.
Speaker 7: I might have missed if Jesse Waters said because I have been focused on her materials so much in the past couple of hours, the past couple of days, because I'm trying to get catch up. I'm like, literally gonna probably spend the next twenty four hours going through everything that I have.
Speaker 6: Because it's just been such a roller coaster.
Speaker 7: But I Jesse Waters might have and I might have missed it, But I have not seen yet anyone mentioned her on Fox and.
Speaker 6: Wow because I don't. I don't think they know what to do with it, because.
Speaker 2: It's they don't know what to do.
Speaker 7: They want to draw more attention to this twisted relationship with a woman who's thirty five with an eighty year old.
Speaker 1: And well, and they also feed into the cult uh personality that that that exists around Donald Trump. That I mean, they're part of that machinery. They're they're part of that propaganda that churns this out on a daily basis. But I will say, you know, just before you go, like I did see Laura Ingram going after John Ossoff, they do seem to have a bone to pick with John Osoen. They seem to be worried about John Ossoff.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like a.
Speaker 1: Tell every now and then, every once in a while they'll start talking about a prominent Democrat and it's not.
Speaker 2: Like ooh the squad or ooh AOC.
Speaker 1: You could tell that there's certain politicians every once in a while that they feel like they have to get you know, up in arms over because this person poses some sort of political threat to their world order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a different thing.
Speaker 7: Yes, John Ossoff has kind of matured as into a stronger politician.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Incredibly good looking man, he's well spoken.
Speaker 7: He is successful in a purple state, which that's huge, huge, And they are scared of him now and so they will try to use anything against him. And I think it's been amazing to watch his transformation of the past few years and have watch how he's gotten stronger and more confident and who knows what his future holds. But yes, Fox, if they fear you, they talk about you much like they talk about you a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just like, keep coming, guys, where do I send the check?
Speaker 7: Thank you you and and and the other thing is Rosie o'donald. For some bizarre reason, they just have to any excuse. They just talk about Rosie o'donnald. And I'm like, she's laughing all the way to the bank too, because he's like, thank you.
Speaker 6: But yeah, for like no reason.
Speaker 7: Uh, especially yeah, for like no reason, uh, especially Jesse Waters. But I do think the Jesse Waters Uh, Jim Acosta. The situation is a little because when he's gone, they don't do it. When then they have a substitute host, suddenly you're not you're not You're not included in his little nightly look at these look at these terrible journalists. Yeah, you know, and and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, thanks a voodoo doll of me on the road on family vacations. So very strange to think about, but he does. My goodness, well, Julia, I'm so glad you came on. We've been I've been meaning to do this for some time. And when I saw some of the compilations you were doing of Natalie harp Over at AN, I thought, Okay, this is something that the public needs to know more about. This is not She did not just like apply for a job as an intern or something and then get elevated to this position. She auditioned for this job on o an is the way it looks to be. But yeah, great work as always.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Moore is coming to more's coming. I'll be posting as I go through all of it.
Speaker 2: A little teas there, very good.
Speaker 1: I check out Juliette on Decoding Fox News on substack everywhere else. It's terrific stuff. Thanks Juliette, good to see you. Thanks for having me all right, really appreciate it. I do want to dive into a couple of topics before we go. One is the fact that I guess my former colleague Scott Jennings wants to be the White House Press secretary.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this? This was in Politico Playbook this morning. He's making it.
Speaker 1: This is Dashah Burns over Political Scott Jennings is making a push to replace Caroline Levitt as White House Press Secretary. After clips of Jennings defending Natalie Harp made their way around the White House, including some he sent a senior staffers himself, he reached out to schedule a private meeting with Susie Wilds over the weekend. A person close to the White.
Speaker 2: House told me they just started just talking about each other all the time. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: No decision was made in no offer extended. The process to replace Levitt remains slow moving. Multiple people familiar to all playbook DC and apparently Scott is putting out clips of himself and he's telling people, look how great I do when I go on CNN and I trash everybody but Donald Trump, but I do want everybody to remember who Scott Jennings is. Scott Jennings obviously somebody who was on CNN and all the time.
Speaker 2: I like to bust as Chops because I think he's full of shit.
Speaker 1: But on top of that, more than anything else, he is somebody going back to election denialism in the twenty twenty campaign. He is somebody who roasted Donald Trump for being a cry baby loser after he was defeated in the twenty twenty election, and after he instigated an insurrection on January sixth, Scott Jennings, I just want to in case this video somehow, in case Scott wants to clip this and send this over to the White House. He probably doesn't, but somebody should clip this and send this over.
Speaker 2: To the White House.
Speaker 1: Scott Jennings used to roast Donald Trump for being an election denier. He used to assign blamed to Donald Trump for what took place on January sixth, and Scott Jennings is going to be the White House Press Secretary. Scott Jennings is going to go up there at the podium and he's going to have reporters asking him. Scott, didn't you blame Donald Trump for what happened on January six? And Scott, don't you think that it's strange that you once did that and now you're up here pedaling his lives. Don't forget folks, it was just last month Donald Trump, who was still not given up on the twenty twenty election, did a batshit crazy speech live from the White House that some of our networks of this country were intimidated to run and pick up, in which the President of the United States continued to repeat his cuckoo for cocoa puffs one flew over the cuckoo's nest lies about the twenty twenty election, an election that he lost and that Scott Jennings knows full well that he lost.
Speaker 2: And the other.
Speaker 1: Thing that we should point out, and this is something that it's not just that our friend Miles Taylor, who comes on from time to time. According to Miles Taylor, and that he put out this tweet months ago.
Speaker 2: You know who's a perfect metaphor for the GOP.
Speaker 1: Miles tweeted at one time Scott Jennings, a pundit who mocks Trump with us during commercial breaks but fawns over Trump when the camera is rolling, brave enough to speak out in the green rooms. So and I remember at the time there were other folks who chimed in, and I remember this from my days. Scott would say not so nice things about Donald Trump when we were off camera during the commercial break and so on. So I don't understand why the White House thinks that Scott is going to be any different a human being. I mean, I guess maybe he's gone through the same soul removal process that others who work at the White House under Donald Trump who once were Trump critics, people like Marco Rubiat. Maybe he's had the same procedure done in which the soul is removed from the body. But my sense is is that Scott Jennings knows what he's doing, and he's trying to get inside to feather his nest, even more so than where he stands right now, and he knows that to do that, the best ticket to do that is to go and work for Donald Trump. It's why you're seeing people like Michael Cohen, I who used to be a Trump critic and come on this show and now he's sucking up to Trump again. I don't understand. I don't under This is one of the things about Trump two point zero that I really don't understand, and that is how people can completely just sell their souls, sell their principles down the river, take things that they once believed something as exit essential as respecting the rule of law in this country, as respecting election results and honoring election results in this country, the peaceful transfer of power. That is one of the most sacred things that is associated with the constitutional democracy that we cherish here in the United States, the peaceful transfer of power, the respect for election results in this country. Does anybody think Donald Trump is going to respect the election results come this fall? Does anybody think that that's going to be the case come this fall in November, when he gets his ass kicked in the upcoming midterms, that he's not going to resort to election denialism once again, and that he's going to cow and intimidate the Republican Party into election denialism once again, and Scott Jennings is going to be the spokesperson for that. And the other thing that I pity anybody who's going to be the White House Press secretary these days, because you have to go to the podium and they don't do that many briefings anymore.
Speaker 2: Caroline Levitt.
Speaker 1: I think she's wised up and she understands that if you go to the podium in the White House briefing room, you're just going to look like an ass if you're working for Donald Trump. But Donald Trump, and I know that there are good reporters out there who don't want to go down this road. But I go down this road because I think it's important. The mental state of the President of the United States is damn important. Donald Trump. This was, and this was an overlooked thing revealed to the world and everybody that I guess is in the national security realm, both domestically and internationally that I guess we now know how many nuclear missiles, nuclear weapons North Korea has. Trump was talking about this as he was bragging about his flag poles and everything else.
Speaker 2: We should play this clip very much.
Speaker 8: I can't tell you're dead, but I get along with him, And you know what, the fact that I get him along with him, that's a good thing, not a bad thing. He has fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Very powerful uclear weapons.
Speaker 8: Should have never allowed it to happen. They should have never allowed it. I wouldn't but.
Speaker 2: He's got him. I get along with him very well.
Speaker 6: I can't let Iran have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 8: I know Kim Jong un very well, and he's going to be fine. As long as we have a smart president, he's going to be fine. If we have a dumb president, then he's probably not going to be so fine.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, whether Kim Jong un is fine or not, I can. I think based on my reporting experience, I could probably relate to the American people.
Speaker 2: Kim Jung un is definitely not fine.
Speaker 1: He's definitely not stable, and he is definitely a lunatic in addition to being.
Speaker 2: A brutal thug dictator.
Speaker 1: Why Donald Trump is buddies and like Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid with Kim Jong Un I will not understand. But did you hear Donald Trump say? He said it right there on camera to the press, that North Korea apparently has fifty seven nuclear weapons. Now, I know it's nuts that he put his name on the Kennedy Center, and I know it's nuts that he puts gold shit all around the Oval Office, and I know, you know it's crazy that he's obsessed with putting black granite flooring in over the what and all, and on and on and on and on. But does isn't there a Republican in the National security roum in Washington, d C? Who finds it a little peculiar that Donald Trump has revealed exactly how many nuclear weapons that.
Speaker 2: North Korea has. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it seems to me, if you're going to, you know, if you're gonna be the White House Press secretary and your job is to go out there and play clean up on Asle sixteen hundred Pennsylvania Avenue, that one of the things you're going to be asked about by a pretty smart reporter who covers national security is that is it a good idea for the President of the United States to reveal the details of the North Korean nuclear program? It seems to me if I were in that job, that would be a question that I would not want to, not want to deal with. But Scott Jennings, you go for it, man, you know what have at it. I can't wait to see you get up there and explain why used to bust Donald Trump's butt for being a cry baby loser after the twenty twenty election. But be my guest, do your thing, have fun, have at it. I want to thank Maggie Haberman for joining me today. Really appreciate it. Make sure you check out Maggie's book, A Regime Change. She co authored that with Jonathan Swan, A terrific piece of reporting there. And also want to thank another terrific journalist, somebody who I don't think it's enough credit for what she does, and that is Juliet Jessky to coding Fox News. Where's the New York Times a piece on Juliette. We need to have the New York Times piece on Julie. She does terrific reporting and she's not only reporting on what they do at Fox, but also Natalie Harp and how she rose to prominence inside Trump world by being an election denier over ATAM. All right, everybody, thanks for tuning in. Really appreciate it. Until next time, Still reporting from Washington. I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time.