Speaker 1: Steve Bravera and Jay Gonzalez. They have their Eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Dig Yeah. Fox Sports fourteenth fifty streaming live. I mean iHeart radio.
Speaker 2: Wam, Hey, welcome back to I'm the Bahre Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, He's Jay save us with breaking news. Henry this his.
Speaker 1: Eye on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Delaney Nell did not qualify for the ten meter platform finals as she finished fifteenth out of eighteenth and only the top twelve qualified for the finals, which are happening tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, well you make it there, you make it first year and you do really well and all that, and four years later you're you're you're not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean certainly they were higher hopes, right, yeah, you know I was disappointed for her, you know, to see that. I got up this morning. Then I knew that our friend Brian Peterson was going to be all over that, and then he was and he was, but uh, you know it suh. Actually turned it turned on the TV and the competition was just ending and they showed the standings that I saw that she had finished or you know, the session had just ended and saw that she hadn't had not made it to the to the next round.
Speaker 2: And she's done. She's done.
Speaker 5: So she's she's she's done, she's done competing. Sure, she's going to come back. Not very happy with how things went, especially when she medal last time.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, all right.
Speaker 3: Old Dominion announced they will be playing at Arizona in the upcoming basketball season on November ninth, and it's the first ever meeting between the schools.
Speaker 5: Oh, I hadn't seen that.
Speaker 2: That's a nice game. It'll be a nice game.
Speaker 5: I'm assuming that's here or okay, all right, November nine, that's early, Steve.
Speaker 2: It was probably the first after the exhibition game. That's probably the first game because that's the same weekend they played Duke last year. You saw Duke Duke game. I mean saw the date of that Dude game. Yeah, we talked about the day. I moved up a week day before the good luck with that scheme. Well you are you writing? Yes, I'm writing, Okay, Yeah, I go to that at five in the morning, so I'll finished writing and then head to the event.
Speaker 5: Yeah I did, I did see, Yeah, we did. We did talk about that. Maybe you weren't here the day, I bet you are, okay, So all right, that's okay. I'll let you slide on that. Then, okay.
Speaker 3: Simone Bios got the silver medal in the floor exercise finals.
Speaker 5: That was earlier today today, So she got another medal. How many is that for her?
Speaker 2: I think three?
Speaker 5: Three? Yeah, and then she's like one of the most medals for any US gymnast ever. Right, you're not bad for somebody who had, you know, with what happened to her, you know, back in Tokyo and had to bail out and and you know, kind of save herself. So good for her. Still, you know, you still see that stuff out there, people saying, oh, she gave up on her country last time.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, who are these people?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, they're the same people that after all was said and done, that thing with the two with the boxer, Right, that turns out there's nothing weird about she was born a woman. She's been a woman all her life. She's just you know, as somebody put it, you know, there are people who when they're born, they're not predisposed, but they're born a certain way to like a tiger Woods, he was born to be a golfer. You know, there's pictures in the major leagues. They were born with the physical capability to do that, and apparently this woman was born with the physical capability to be able to box and beat the stuff out of you, you know. And even day before yesterday, all this it was all disproven late in the week, and even still, I think it was actually yesterday, not yesterday, Saturday, our Republican nominee for the presidency still came out and said it was a man beating up a woman, even though for two days they've been they've been telling everybody that was not the case. You know, I know, we brought it up and we were like, okay, what's happening, right, we didn't know, nobody knew, and now you know, everybody's come out and said, there's, you know, nothing nothing bad, nothing wrong. This woman just happens to be really good at what she does and she hit this other woman and she thought, I don't want to do this, which you know, we saw ROBERTA. Durant quit in a boxing match, right. But yet there's still today people still saying that, you know, that this was screwed up, and it just pisses me off. I can't help it. I had to bring that up, all right.
Speaker 3: Will Cox West lost three nothing today in the Little League Softball World Series against Cranston, Rhode Island in a second round game and will now attempt to win the championship through the elimination bracket and their next game is tomorrow at four pm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they won their first game and I think their pitcher, what's her name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Boocomber.
Speaker 5: Yeah, set a record for most strikeouts in the Little League World Series game with fifteen. Now do the math, all right? They play six innings, three outs an inning. That's fifteen strike outside of the eighteen outs. That's pretty impressive. Pattie McCumber, it's her name, so you know, good for them. Hey, look, getting just getting to the Little League World Series is the coolest thing. So good for them, and hope they hang around for a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: Kristen Faulkner became the first American in forty years to win the gold in the Women's Road Race in cycling after not even supposed to be on the team before a teammate resigned.
Speaker 2: She just picked up Slufe Cycling six years ago.
Speaker 5: Wow. See so I can, I can. I'll do a tour if I pick it up like a month ahead of time.
Speaker 2: Right, then move on, move on. I don't want to tell them no way. This is my god.
Speaker 3: The USA is in first place with seventy eight total medals, China is and second with fifty three in Frances and third with forty seven.
Speaker 5: And last time I know, I know about the metal count today. Going into going into today, US and China were tied with gold medals, right, and for for a while the US was way behind.
Speaker 3: I saw US as a twenty gold. Let me see China's at twenty one.
Speaker 5: Okay, well they were nineteen and nineteen going into today, so okay, but you know, the US has had the most medals but was way behind on gold medals, which people were getting a little upset about.
Speaker 2: All right, people who are these people? People?
Speaker 5: People I read on social media?
Speaker 2: So many people upset?
Speaker 5: You know, Well, they're like, oh, you know the men's swimming team, you know they're US dominant, They're not this year?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 6: I know?
Speaker 2: These a lot of these people that you're talking about. But aren't there more important things in the world to bitch about them?
Speaker 5: Apparently not?
Speaker 2: And then other people's problems apparently, Holy crap.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs have made Harrison Bucker the highest pig kicker NFL.
Speaker 2: They should have.
Speaker 5: They should have just fired him.
Speaker 2: From what he said, Hey, falling down forward, Babe, falling down forward. That's cool.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have them on my team. I wouldn't. I wouldn't have on my team. I wouldn't have on my team.
Speaker 2: But if he was really good, if he's really good, you'd say, hey, can you cannot temper your thing?
Speaker 5: I'd say, go find yourself another team. Steve, with what he said, with what he said, he wouldn't be on my team. I've got daughters. He's not on my team.
Speaker 2: I get it. So does those look cheap?
Speaker 5: So he just yeah that, Well, that tells you what's going on.
Speaker 2: I get it. I totally get it.
Speaker 5: But he's not on my team. He said, he's not on my team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 5: That's all Iky.
Speaker 2: We took all the rest of it.
Speaker 5: I want.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: I brought up Michigan a little bit ago. Uh, when we were talking about the rankings. There's a thing got leaked on about Jim Harbaugh. I think I leaked about the Michigan notice of allegation and they are that, Sharon, what's his name, uh the new head coach, Sharon Moore is in the in the in the draft of the of the nose of allegation, his name is in there saying because they were saying that there was a coach that deleted fifty plus text messages with Connor Stallion's and that was one of the violations that they were being were being uh called on. Well, it turns out it was Sharon Moore who was the one who deleted those text messages. So now you have the defensive coordinator as being the one that that has deleted the text and that has led to that alleged violation. So now they're talking about him possibly possibly being suspended, maybe even suspended for and requiring a show cause for what he did.
Speaker 2: So he'll get more punishment than Harbaugh will.
Speaker 5: Right left right, And then speaking of your friend Jim Harbaugh, he came out with a statement today. Let me let me find it. His statement was no longer than college football, never lie, never cheat, never steal. I was raised with that lesson. I have raised my family on that lesson. I've preached that lesson to the teams that I've coached. No one's perfect. If you stumble you apologize and you make it right today. I do not apologize. I did not participate, was not aware nor complicit in in those said allegations. So for me, it's back to work and attacking with an enthusiasm unknown to man.
Speaker 2: So let me say this. They have they have all these allegations in a number of ways. We've dealt with it here. How much teeth or how many how many teeth to the n C DOUA have left?
Speaker 5: Not much? And that and that's you know, that's the whole point. You know, we saw they well how many games did did Harbor miss? Like six games last year? Maybe they went fifteen to oh right, So what did that matter? I mean, I mean, you know, okay, so Jim Harbor, I had to watch the games at all? Who knows? And and and remember Tennessee for their violations, got to find what six million dollars wrote the check and.
Speaker 2: Then well you saw what I was in Kentucky right in shops.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still, you know, there's there's stuff that happened last week. I mean, they're not going to be around much anyway. Yeah longer.
Speaker 5: There's nothing. There's nothing, there's no punishment that you can do. That's gonna make them. They're not gonna worry about it. They're just gonna move on into the next thing.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, and we've seen it here. You know, other places had their issues that arizonas have theirs issues had theirs. So you take away ten wins, ten games, blah blah blah, doesn't really matter.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, okay, let's let's say they let's say they go they're not going to, but let's say they go so far as to say you have to give up your championship. Do people really think they didn't win the champions Well.
Speaker 2: That's the whole thing. Well Louisville did that with the potato right, right, So let me give you this. Okay, So Sean won a lot of games here, right, I don't know, three hundred and some games. I think it Wasistic or somebody else, or Tarzuski who surpassed Mealbach for the most wins. They took away those wins.
Speaker 5: Even in the record, but for for for Tarzuski, No, no, no, that's for Miller. They took away those r from Miller's records.
Speaker 2: So do they take away the wins for the kids?
Speaker 5: They didn't didn't happen that that's gonna make my head spin. That's going to happen, right right, I yeah, no, you're right, I don't Yeah, what do you do?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: But those didn't happen, right, I mean, like that, what didn't Jason with Jason Terry And there were some some games that got vacated. There an NC double a appearance and all that.
Speaker 2: In the Oklahoma game, yeah, yeah, I hit the pay back. Yeah, yeah, So I don't I don't know. I don't know how that works. But uh, but they had a lot more games than meal Buck did. Yeah, and not not to defend meal Buck, but yeah, do those games count now, yeah? Or part of the record.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, but yeah, So anyway, so you know, more to come on that. The thing is that you know, with this thing with Michigan, Okay, so they haven't they haven't even been served with the notice of allegations yet. It's just got the draft just got leaked. So they've got when it when it ever gets served, when they ever get served, they've got ninety days to appeal or to come up with their response, which basically gets you almost through the entire football.
Speaker 2: Well, Jay, look at Arizona's back and forth took how many years?
Speaker 5: Right? So, and that was because that that other a A whatever AI, But this one they've got ninety days to respond and then once they respond, the n C double A has x amount of time to respond to that. So this thing won't be done before the football season.
Speaker 2: The new coach will be somewhere else with harbors and resistance.
Speaker 5: And yeah, and if you're if you're Sharon Moore and all of a sudden it looks like you're gonna get your your face kicked in, you're gonna, you know, miss, then you just go get a job in the NFL, right and be done with it, just like what just like what Harba did. Yeah, So I don't know that that there's really anything anybody can do.
Speaker 2: So go and go back and see we only had a minute a half we got to talk to is uh Mount Rushmore for Arizona basketball. I don't know if you can find that somewhere will yeah uh And we got a little time. We got a little time. Maybe we'll find it the next minute or so. I had an issue with it, Will obviously cod your issue, he had Miles on the Oh I did it as she did.
Speaker 5: I don't think you did. Did. Oh you'all to find it, I'll look it up. I'll look it up during the break, because all right, I'll find it during the break. Anyways, Okay, we're gonna come back. We've got Bob mcmannonmon. We're gonna talk a little bit of Arizona Cardinals. See what's going on up at their camp. He's a columnist with THEIRS on the Republic. And we'll see if you can tell us what's up. So stick around.
Speaker 7: The Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one soft warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model shot the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Vera here to talk about Dorontle rocket materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 10: Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On.
Speaker 9: Twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle so for twelve point six million Lebron James Rookie so for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 10: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three h eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, How to commitment to lyndrixyon credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the numbers.
Speaker 11: It's award season for summer sports leagues and time to look trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenigh your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Dratman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: Gout bugs, termites, bees, are rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, ME Live, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, iHeartRadio. This is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eye on the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve. He's Jake now in phone. Longtime friend Bob that the management of the Arizona Republic in Arizona Central. Bob, how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm well?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: We're doing well. The last time we spoke to you, you were the beat guy for the Cardinals. Are you still the beat guy? Because I saw a Collin about you not long ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am helping on the Cardinals, but now writing columns. Okay, so I'll do some I'll do some Cardinals work as well, but mostly Colin.
Speaker 2: Let me let me I read your column. I think it was maybe ten days ago, more than a week ago. I loved it. You've done a lot, obviously, and the one thing that struck me in and the way you wrote it was very I enjoyed it because I have the same issue here. You're not a fan. You're not a fan. You write it that way, and sometimes that pisss off some of the people you write about. As he talked about some of the confrontations right yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's been a few to a few thousand millions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, does that?
Speaker 2: Does that? How do you react to those? Because that kind of means that you've done a good job and maybe start the juices. But you're telling it like you think it's happening or I don't know, explain please.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, And I didn't make my intentions completely clear in that introductory column to let people know who I was or my backstory and what I neglected to put in. It was the first day that I formally interviewed as a seventeen year old knucklehead in high school at this paper was with my first of I think fifteen sports setters. But this man said, are you a fan of any team? And I said, well, I grew up near chic Hago, so I got all the and I I love all those teams. And I was an unofficial ball boy for the Suns. Used to sneak into the coliseum and rebound for those guys and then hide behind the stands until they let us come out and do it every day on game days. Because well, you're not a fan anymore, I said, okay, because if you want to work here, and I don't know what you're going to do for us. You know you're not going to be a fan. You have to be impartial. Can you do that? I said, yes, sir, I can, and I haven't been a fan since, and it's been it's been wonderful. Because fans tear themselves apart. I don't have to do that anymore. I haven't done it for forty five years.
Speaker 2: I love you, Bob. Because people say, how could you not be a fan? It's just the way it is with me. I love you, man.
Speaker 4: I'll root for players that I've covered, that i've that I like, or that you know I have done something special, or coaches that I got along with well, but it's usually privately. It won't show in my writing. I hope it doesn't. If it does, maybe now it will that I'm a columnist, But I don't think so. I think they got to keep it. You got to keep it the way it's supposed to be. And you know, rooting for teams on air on TV and wearing jerseys or T shirts of your team, and you're a reporter or supposed to be a journalist, that's not what journalists do. It shouldn't be anyway.
Speaker 5: No, you're one hundred percent correct that. And Bob, look, we you know I'm the fan in the room here because that's what we do with that. But you know, I grew up here in Tucson. I went to the U of A. Suddenly I'm covering Arizona basketball and then I'm covering Arizona football. And I do believe that I was able to turn off the switch of being a fan that during that time. But I'm not gonna lie that. When I was covering Arizona the eighty eight basketball team, they ended up going to the Final four. And remember when they're playing North Carolina in the in the lad eight, trying to get to the first Final four. I wasn't cheering on press rod, but inside I'm going, I really want you guys to win this game. But I really want you to win for the purely selfish reasons that I wanted to cover a Final four, right, I mean, that's kind of how I took it. You know, same thing with football, right, I wanted to cover a Rose Bowl. Now, they weren't in a position you know, the years I covered them to be good enough.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 5: But winning, covering winning is more fun than covering losing, which is.
Speaker 4: Which stories were about really.
Speaker 2: Bad Well that's when you get well, you've covered a few of them, covered them, So tell us how was they gonna be this year?
Speaker 5: Yeah? What what are we looking at with this?
Speaker 4: Who can get away from the bank?
Speaker 2: You don't know what you look like?
Speaker 4: Amen, I'm sorry, repeat the question.
Speaker 2: So what's so you covered a lot of bad teams? How is it going to look like this year with the Cardinals?
Speaker 4: You know? I well, well, we'll have to see. I wrote a story Sunday about what I think is a realistic successful season should look like given everything that they've got going on over there, and you know, if they don't win seven games, it's a failure. If they win eight or nine, it should be considered a success. You know. If they if they happen to reach double digits, it will be a huge success and a stepping stone into becoming expected to be a contender, especially with the youngness of this team. So we'll see. You know, it's gonna be gonna be at least seven wins, and it should be more, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: It's funny, I bet you you're googling over under no no.
Speaker 4: Well, I mentioned the over under with them is six and a half. I think they think they're much better than that. So they need to act like that, you know, and and and act when I mean act like when you've got a hole, like, oh, you lose yours your best outside linebacker, your best projected edge rusher, you better replace them. Yeah, and you know, it's been what is it three days since it happened? In four days and they haven't done it yet. They've got two roster spots open. It just makes me wonder do they do they think they're really going to be a winner or not?
Speaker 5: What is Jonathan Gannon from what you saw last year? Is he the guy? I mean? Can he be the guy?
Speaker 4: That's if I can explain that. I am all in on Jonathan Mannon. He's a little weird, which is okay. He's a little uh uh too energetic, which I like, and but he tells, he lays it on the line. He's got this good chemistry thing he's building here and this new culture shift. But culture shift only goes as far as you take your team to wins. So I like what he's doing. I didn't even wait for you to finish a question, so I'm sorry no time. I just had to say that about Goofy Gannon. He's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: I mean it takes I mean it certainly takes a certain kind of personality. Maybe is the right word to coach in the coach for this franchise, right.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean that's a whole thing you could open up and talk about, for it means many different things. But you know, there's only one of thirty two jobs in this league, and this particular job. A lot of coaches haven't had too much success, and they usually get three years and if they don't do it by a year or three, they're gone. So you know he's under some fire, but it's only a second year. If they do what I think they can do and show steady improvement, I think he's going to be fine. I think this franchise will be on the mend. But it's got to happen for me to really believe that.
Speaker 2: Along those lines of fire, the quarterback, I think when we talked to you last year, maybe the year before, you liked the guy. If I can recall, I like you still like him. Okay, I was just gonna ask that I'm not so completely.
Speaker 4: That he's going to be a guy who who tells us all he wants to do is be the best and win the super Bowl, because he's only as good as the guys around him and the coaching he gets, and how healthy he remains, and you know who they're going up against and what those teams are doing. There's so many things connected to it. I'd like him. I believe in Kyler, but I'll need to see him do Kyler things again and be better at it than he had been when he went to the Pro Bowl too straight years.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So what about Marvin Harrison Junior? Is he the real deal?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, yeah, there's no question about that. And I'll have a column out tomorrow about about that and a couple issues that I have potentially about what the Cardinals are doing with him. You should check it out.
Speaker 5: Okay, we will definitely do that.
Speaker 2: You've you've been in this business. I'm gonna go back to your call him. I can't remember most of it now, but you've had a great walk, You've you've had a great life. I mean, come on, look at us. We're in radio.
Speaker 5: I ever worked a day in my life.
Speaker 2: Right, we're radio now. We used to be newspaper guys. What kind of pictures do you have of the bosses.
Speaker 12: I see what you did that.
Speaker 4: I started writing before there were cameras apparently, so no, I have no no photos, no facts.
Speaker 2: But you've you've you've covered a lot of great things. I mean you were down here for a while too, covering some teams.
Speaker 4: I would the two soun a lot. Yeah, and I'm a big fan and these as you people give you guys a bad name, and I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I love that. Well, we do the same to them. So we're good.
Speaker 4: Breakfast place I've ever been to. Some fun spring training moments were yeah.
Speaker 5: We're all okay with that because we do the same thing. Oh hey, here's here's here's the little detail. You're watching the Hall of Fame game, the kickoff thing. What do you think of that?
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be interesting. Yeah, they're trying to make it better than it was, and I appreciate that because kicked off, we turns were a record low twenty one percent, which is ridiculous. Everything else was touchbacks, you know, So we're going to bring some excitement back to the game. It's going to open up a roster spot, I think for player or players who can find a niche in roll. Both on kick coverage and kick return teams, special teams. Coaches are scratching their heads. It's just going to be trial and error. But I think you're gonna see some big, exciting place and if you don't, it means they're just going to kick it into the end zone and put the ball to you know, thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, you must be in the business now, you started seventeen maybe forty five years. Can you give me one of your favorite stories or two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I think I mentioned in the in the column. One was covering the ninety two Baseball Major League Baseball All Star Game in San Diego the Old Murph and then staying at this brand new Marriott Twin Tower place they opened up at the time. And I think Griffy Junior won the home run Derby that year, if I'm not mistaken. And I my pregnant wife at the time was nine months with twins on the way, and she's upstairs and I get back to the hotel. I went into the bar to get like three bottles of bud Light in a bucket of ice and bring it upstairs and calls her from the bar phone and said, honey, do you need anything. I'm back I'm just grabbing some beers and ice. I'll be right up. She goes, no, no, no, I'm fine, take your time. And the bartender said, dude, don't, don't go upstairs, and I'm like, why, he goes, look at these four guys sitting here alone at the bar. You're the only dude here besides me. And it was Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Ernie Banks, and Mickey Mantle, the four greatest living baseball legends at the time for certain, right, And I didn't go up to the room for quite a while, you know, I need to say. And I just laughed a lot. I got ribbed in the elbow, ribbed by Ted Williams every time they told a great joke and I laughed, uh. And they bought my beers and I didn't say a word to them, just sat there silently, respectfully and listened like a good reporter should do. And never wrote about it. Really, I mean, I wrote about it since, but yeah, not not. Anything that was said right over beer was just like the experience was one of many, many, many that this career has given me. And I hope it gives me a lot more. And I hope i'm worthy of it.
Speaker 2: This question. Did she divorce you after this?
Speaker 4: No, no she didn't.
Speaker 5: But you bring up a good point because they say you never wrote. You didn't write about it at the time. You wrote about it later as part of telling stories.
Speaker 4: As a Father's day column for my kids when they you still let me do Colm the second of the day.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing that people don't realize that we saw things as reporters, that it wasn't always.
Speaker 4: A story like trust me, it'll be in the fuck.
Speaker 5: It didn't always have to be a story. It's it's a memory and maybe you talk about it later, but we saw things. It wasn't like today where everybody's got their.
Speaker 4: Heaven. Yeah, but you didn't have it then. We didn't have I don't even know if I had a cell phone then a pager. I don't even remember. I don't even know what those things were for, other than you know, the wife lady saying, hey, it's trying to get home, get get home right right.
Speaker 2: It seems like it would have happened a long earlier before with all the big names you know, yeah yeah, wow.
Speaker 4: Well imagine if there was Twitter and Babe Bruce, time probably wouldn't have been good.
Speaker 5: Well, it wouldn't you know. What would happen was there would have been people in there with their cameras, you know, with their phones taking pictures of these guys sitting there trying to have a beer, and you never would have had that experience, right, you'd had right, Well.
Speaker 4: I'm on that, But you know what, I know what it's for. It it's a good tool. And I'm faithful user of X and UH don't always like what I see on X, but I use it as a tool for my job and it's a good way to spread the word about just the stuff that I and my colleagues do. And I think that's good.
Speaker 2: Who's sharing Who you sharing the beat with? Uh?
Speaker 4: Tao Tao Mack. He came over from the d Backs. He's a young young guy from Washington, DC area. He's been on the d Backs with Nick Bacloro. He's a go getter, he's a good to go to guy. You guys need to get him on your show, will uh and and he will. He will fill your radio hours. He will take care of you.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, he'll talk about the time.
Speaker 4: He is like, I'll be in a bullpen kind of like a reliever. If things get really desperate and you really need me, I'll come out for the ninth inning.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll tell you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I have on't answer, but you can call it.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about the time you had a chance to have a beer with Dela Cruz with and some of those guys you know back in the day, back in the day.
Speaker 4: Don't remember those days at all?
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, well, Bob, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Pretty sad.
Speaker 2: Good luck with your column stuff, and we'll be reading you. Yeah, have fun.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you guys having me on. Enjoy your day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bob's one of the good guys. One of the things I remember from Bob to Moses, and we all do this right, because we all have our quirks. He'd have those two liter bottles of PEPSI, oh god, I just take those everywhere. Dude. That was like diabetes on his stick. How do I know because I used to do that too.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. All right, good, good conversation with Bob mcmahonan from the Airshen Republic. All right, stick around. We got a last segment five to zero four one six seventy four forty would love to hear what's on your mind.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coach and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Lemanhanly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space and your life.
Speaker 13: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multigms, and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot Arizona.
Speaker 2: Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals of fe affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 2: You could win big.
Speaker 14: Whatch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today. Been really insured and CUA? Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 2: A team?
Speaker 8: Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding service to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts for.
Speaker 2: Over twenty years. We want you to join the Action.
Speaker 8: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income.
Speaker 2: Come be a part of a winning team.
Speaker 8: The A Team apply online today at a team security dot net.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and jaygn Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports stag Chef Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I mean iHeartRadio WAPs.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to tying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roberta. Please Jaketsas got Henry with us. You have a chance to review that.
Speaker 5: That Mountain Rushmore basketball I did and your thoughts well. John Wilner is a really good friend of mine, almost family. Uh, you know, we're very close. As far as that goes on.
Speaker 2: I hear, I hear something coming on, but he is full of it on this one.
Speaker 5: I agree, lily full of it. I think he missed by a lot.
Speaker 2: Came out about two three weeks ago.
Speaker 5: It came out to twenty sixth two weeks about about a week ago. The fifth Okay, yeah, maybe we can have ten ds. Okay, he missed, give us the list. Okay, obviously he did it. For all he did, for all he did, for all packed all packed twelve teams. The criteria was that it was only for a while, It was only involving players who were in the conference. So you know, uh, you know, Eric Money from Arizona could not be in the Conel Norman those guys, because they were they were in the wack Bob Elliot, those guys he selected. We selected four players, included the names of five more who were considered. Performance in the NBA was not part of the calculation, which is important. We did not consider players who competed for Arizona, SU Colorado and Utah before their schools joined the PAC twelve. Uh so that was of the criteria. So obviously you pick a coach is Ludelson, I mean, that's no rainer. Then for for the players to me, two are legit obvious choices, Sean Elliott and Damon Stotdman, Fine, no issue with that, But then he picked Miles Simon, okay, and then he picked Derek Williams, and I get if to me, it seems like Derek Williams got picked using a criteria that he says is not a criteria. That was the fact that Derek Williams was a high first round draft pick. Okay, Derek Williams had about eight good games year. Yeah, yeah, you know he he went off in that in that Duke game in the in the NCAA tournament. You know, he he you know, he had about eight good games. I'm sorry. There's about ten guys that I would put ahead of Derek Williams, all right, all five of the guys, All five of the guys that are and his also considered list, who are Mike Bibbie, Jason Gardner, Steve Kirk, Chris Mills, and Jason Terry. I put all five of those guys they had at Derek Williams, I mean, not even close. Then he mentioned some other guys that he said didn't even make the also considered list. TJ McConnell, Luke Walton, Michael Dickerson, Pete Williams. I put all those guys ahead of Derek Williams. All right, Derek Williams had that Duke game, then he had that block against Washington, and that's it.
Speaker 2: He was very good that year. But but I'm with you. I'm with you on that. I have an issue with Miles too, and I have an issue with Miles Miles Miles, even though he was the most MP, the most play. Bibby was pretty good in that whole.
Speaker 5: My five would be Elliott four for my four would be Elliott, Scott, Omeyer, Bibby and Kerr again, Steve Kerr, nothing happened. Nothing that's happened with Arizona basketball since then happens without Steve Kurrishawn Elliott. He's on Mount Rushmore of Arizona basketball. For what he for what he he did. We've all said a million times. If Steve Kerr plays in the eighty six eighty seven season, nothing happens. Arizona basketball isn't what it is. They don't change, right, the trajectory changes, they don't get to the eighty eight final four. All of those things, all right, Steve Kurrz Steve Currs like number two on the Mount Russian and after Sean.
Speaker 2: He didn't have a great college career, but he's he's that significant.
Speaker 5: Incredibly impactful college career at Arizona from the time he came in as a freshman and he you know that thing with it when his dad got assassinated, that brought that put the whole community together together. You're following this basketball team that was that's where it started.
Speaker 2: Here's my here's my issue, and I covered it for a long time, written a number of books. Everybody knows Shawn is easy, Sewan is right. Damon to me is the number two. Number two play a bit whole time. And I could be wrong.
Speaker 5: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Uh three, I don't even know. I don't even know who's three. And I've covered them all. There's nobody on the Seawn team teams. They were here too soon. They didn't last that long. Although my favorite is McConnell.
Speaker 5: Right, he did say John did say no one had Dune's were even considered, which is mostly who may have been the best talent of all these guys, but he was here for.
Speaker 2: And even then I was questionable at times, right to so McConnell to me would be him, He'd be the best one of all of them, uh, since then two we don't know really in the last year, I don't even know. Number three the most underrated to me is is Chris Mills of all of them, But then you have you have Richard, you have you have Gilbert, you have Jason Garden who has all the stats, right, played all these games, score all these points. But you know, but was Jason Gardner?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 5: He was?
Speaker 2: But Jason Terry, where do you put him in? And then you got to include well, there was an NCAA violation, not a little one, kind of a big one. So you don't how do you And remember that Miles in that year was academically ineligible. He didn't play that first that first half of the year, right, and then he stew the school. So there's a lot of little things, right, So Miles wouldn't make it the prof He's not on my list. So so there's my issue. I don't even who's three or four in terms of players, because you had Richard, No, I don't think so Gilbert, who's fantastic, but no two years so there's a lot of caveat right, right.
Speaker 5: And again Mike Baby was here two years. But but but you and I agree that the more. The most important guy on that national championship team was Mike Bibby, not Miles Simon. Correct, So that put question that for me puts Bibby ahead of Myles Simon. I get it. The Miles was here four years, but I'm putting Bibby up there because of what he accomplished, you know here in those two years. What was Derek coins here? Two years?
Speaker 2: Two years? Again?
Speaker 15: If if you know, Derek Williams so far back on the list for me, and and I mean, look, he well even even I know this, this might be a little did he mention kid?
Speaker 2: He was the basketball players? Kalid was fantastic. He played four years and he was fantastic. Yeah, but he was kind of like under the Raider fantastic.
Speaker 5: He's and Klid's also got the stigma of he could have been so much better. Right, all right, let's take this, Hi, you're on the Aaron I on the balls.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got your four?
Speaker 5: Ready?
Speaker 1: Go all right?
Speaker 16: Kerr, Elliott Dotto Meyer and Chris Rogers. Every time I can, anytime I could say bad things about.
Speaker 2: Will give me your fourth, the fourth, the fourth.
Speaker 6: One serious fourth.
Speaker 16: Honestly, I think he's he's I think we became the Dallas Cowboys of Tucson with a son Adams in all. Honestly, when it came to being on ESPN, all this nationwide popularity with his dunks and stuff like, his impact financially, I think was him and Iguadala that that was that before and four B. When it comes to an impact, that is not always saying where you stay more than one year, even though they didn't really do much. I mean, Essan didn't do much after after U of A. But but that twenty twenty two thousand and two thousand teish period of time was a pretty epic period.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, that's that's an interesting one. Well, you know the guy that which is an interesting one because you mentioned Andre too. Luke Walton said that if Andre would have stayed here for four years, he would have been the best player to ever play here. Of course he didn't blame and then his legacy ended. Beat with him on the phone right before a game and they sucked. Yeah, so you know, yeah, hard to say, but Hassan, that's a strange one. Who is this? Have you called before?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 16: I called before?
Speaker 4: Yeah? JR?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, thanks?
Speaker 5: No good? Well look and those three, the first three that you mentioned was you know, to me, those are no brainers, right, And I don't know, we're not.
Speaker 16: Talking about talent, you know, we're talking about impact and legacy that like I can see a statue with a plaque saying why you know.
Speaker 2: But still, those guys were all talented. They were very talented.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, I mean because because of all those, McConnell is probably the least talented person I know, other than Josh Passmer that ever played for the U of a basketball wise brain, win is amazing, you know, at heart amazing.
Speaker 2: Till yeah, you know, and we'll see him in a couple of weeks. I'll see him. Pete Williams had it not been for the Cornerstone to come here with Eddie Smith and those guys, because he had a huge impact.
Speaker 5: Right, And that's why I say all those guys are ahead of Derek Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey j R.
Speaker 5: Thanks a whole bunch man. We appreciate it. Chris Rogers, we love that.
Speaker 4: Chris.
Speaker 2: You remember Chris. He he was kicked off the team. He was he was they let him back in. He was a little nutty. That was the end of Loot's time. That was kind of like the end of the beginning of the end.
Speaker 5: Chris was a little nutty. I just had he just yeah, I mean he was he was a character, but I don't know, doesn't even make this list yet. Well again, when you talk about legacy and and all that kind of stuff, he was the grouchy probably the grouchiest player in kind of the you know, Malcolm, most malcontented player of all the ones that we saw through.
Speaker 2: Those through those years are not named Rogers, not named Chris.
Speaker 5: Rogers got another call, Hi, you're on the air and eye of the ball.
Speaker 6: Big guys one that never gets mentioned man like they keep saying Damon but uh Salem.
Speaker 5: But we were just talking about him, which his skills.
Speaker 4: Were just I mean, he was our.
Speaker 6: What the name J Curryfore Curry was there like he was shooting from the logo when Curry, he didn't nobody did that right. He destroyed Kansas.
Speaker 4: I mean, the stuff that.
Speaker 6: He did was just amazing. Let me ask you this, though he could be there, he might be like one of those cornerstone.
Speaker 5: Okay, and I agree, is that from a talent standpoint, and you know, he was the best shooter in the in the n C Double A at that time. But I feel like he left a bad taste in everybody's mouth with his approach and his attitude and his surliness, and that would keep him off of there. For me, what about you?
Speaker 4: Oh no, he was a jerk.
Speaker 16: I used to ask my dad all the time. I'm like, why does he keep playing him the kinds of jerk?
Speaker 4: And He's like, watch.
Speaker 16: Throw the ball in the b and You're like, who's I guess what's your.
Speaker 6: Why doesn't Luke bench him for that?
Speaker 4: He was just three points? Three points?
Speaker 6: Three points? Are like, well, yeah, I guess you can't take that off the court.
Speaker 2: Well he did.
Speaker 16: It's just one of those things that, like the talent, if you're just talking about talent, that talent.
Speaker 2: Well, he did suspend him a few times because of that sort of list. I remember going to Milwaukee the play Marquette. He had to sit down. And there was another thing, do you remember you talked about Kansas And that was the Candy Gate where he came back and did really well against them, the UCLA game when he hit the shot. But he also in the game that you went to see at Anaheim, he was a no show. He was physically he played, but he was a no show because they roughed him up and they said, if we get Salima out of this game, we got this game. And you remember, if you see a stat line, he was nowhere to be seen.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so you know, look, he's he's certainly worthy of consideration. I guess I would have put him on that list of also not also considered, but the next tier of guys with you know, guys like TJ. McConnell, Michael Dickerson, Pete Williams. But you know, to me, getting on that mouse rushmore is more than just how good were you? It was how good were you overall for the program and the team and the impact you had. So yeah, so appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying that, I'm just saying, yeah, overall talent, the guy had incredible, incredible, but uh yeah, yeah, I wouldn't put him up there forever.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, good call. Look what's your name, George? Oh yeah you have Okay, got you you guys. Some of you guys all sound the same and so we have tough time with this. George, Thanks for colleague. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Oh we got three minutes. We could come up with a few more, Like I said, Chris Mills.
Speaker 5: Okay to me. Here, here's here's one that you know, they only went. He was only in the league one year, So I don't know what the craig in the in the PAC twelve, Pac ten one year he got they got into They got into the PAC ten his last year. Russell Brown Okay, again though, a guy Russell Brown who sort of started the whole you know, Arizona's uh point guard, you leg not legacy, but just sort of got the ball rolling for them in the PAC ten in that senior year. You know, eighteen assists in the game. He was a career assist leader at Arizona. I think still is you know, is he a guy that gets close to that, right, because he's a guy that nobody thinks.
Speaker 2: Of, Well, look at that legacy that that time, right, Russell Brown who did what he did, Al Fleming who did what he did.
Speaker 5: Fleming never was in the PAC ten. But okay, okay, Larry Demick was, Joe Neil's was.
Speaker 2: Okay, so those you're yeah, I'm talking about players just overall that were great. Oh yeah, the Russell Brown, Fleming, Bob Elliott, right, they had some pretty good dudes. Well, if you're gonna pick an all time uh.
Speaker 5: D yah, if you're gonna pick an all time Mount Rushmore, Okay, you can't leave Bob Elliott off of that. I don't know. I don't know that you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Well, the dude, somebody's got a bump and Russell Brown pretty damn good.
Speaker 5: Yes, so you got to bump.
Speaker 2: You haven't even talked about Herman Harrison and the other guy who Conelnil Norman. Right, that's a different that's a different mouth from rush bore right. But but in fact, Javier just sent me and I agree with Javier Kerr and the guys we talked about Kerr, Elliott, Sotimar Biby.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's mine.
Speaker 2: And let's remember one thing. Stardom Are lost three first round games, went to one final four. In fact, part of the book was what do you think your legacy is? Since is I don't know. I don't know what my legacy is.
Speaker 5: I think there's people who don't think of him up there because of those first round losses. Yeah, I think when I think of David Stodomyer, I think of him hitting that three pointer at the buzzer at halftime in the Final four against Arkansas. That's the vision I have.
Speaker 2: I have him scoring forty four forty three against Stanford and Stanford when he had when he had no choice, but they'll score all round.
Speaker 5: So that's my vision of him because we keep seeing that highlight, you know, on the on the big screen in Uh yeah, Michale. So when I think of and stoder Man, that's why I think of There are some times that I overlook him when I'm thinking a point guard you because I immediately go to Mike, Mike Bibby and Steve Hurt.
Speaker 2: I think off Sato Maria. Now is the great guys that are covered who we texted all the time and now who doesn't return my takes want because we want him on the show.
Speaker 5: He's busy. We can get Josh Paster anytime, all right? That was fun. Uh, I get Derek Williams. Look, I don't know the guy, so I don't know you, but I'm just saying he doesn't be long. Yeah, I'm gonna yaller at him. I'm definitely gonna yell at it. Okay, Hey, thanks for being here today. We'll be back tomorrow. Uh talk some more football stuff and uh maybe even a little basketball. All right, thanks for sticking around. We'll see tomorrow.