Speaker 1: We got some ground to cover here on the Minnesota Goodbye, So let's get started. I met somebody at the fair yesterday and her name is Jessica, and you guys met her too, but I don't know if you remember. It's hard to remember everybody and their name. Yeah, but she came up early and she talked for a while and she very friendly. We met so many cool people, including an officer at the fair, like a police officer who came up with a stack of old Dave Ryan Best Of CDs and I had not seen those in a very long time. And he's like, yeah, I had him in my basement. Thought i'd come out and show him to you, and sure enough, there they were. So that was fun. We met so many people. There was a couple that came in from like Arkansas just to see us. Yeah, I mean, isn't that crazy.
Speaker 2: I know some people. Are they the ones who said that they'd just gotten off the planet? They had to be lined it there because there was. And then there was another group. It was two parents and their little daughter and they like also had just gotten to the fair and they parked way over on the side where like the dogs are or whatever or whatever.
Speaker 1: Side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so they got nervous because it was like twelve thirty and they knew we were only there to one, so they were like booking it across the fair to come see us.
Speaker 1: That is so flattering. It is just thank you for if you've met us at the fair, and even if you didn't, thank you for being here on the Minnesota Goodbye. So Jessica comes up and she said that she told me this story, and I said she had sent in an email that I missed. So she said, did you read my email about Pike's Peak? And I said I don't think so, because sometimes we missed them. Yeah, and so she said I'll resend it. So here she is sending it again. Huge fan here, you can say my name, Jessica. Please make sure Dave reads this one. I've been listening forever and love you guys. Still getting used to fallon being gone for the show, but I remember when she first started and I was so mad that Lena was gone. And I'm sure I'll get over it, and I love you all. I listened back in the Cory Foly days. La absolutely love you all. Anyway. She talks about her listening to the podcast and she loves the Minnesota goodbye and that's her guilty pleasure, and she listens while she's doing laundry, et cetera, et cetera. I have been saving so many Minnesota goodbyes for so long. I started listening to the oldest ones, and I listened to the Minnesota Goodbye of twelve twelve, twenty twenty two. It's called bad etiquette. So almost two years ago, Dave said on that podcast he always wanted to hike Pike's Peak, but he thinks he needs to give up on it because he will never do it. And then she said, on today, July thirty first, when she originally wrote it was the day he plans to do it. He's been off this week. I just think it's awesome that he's been working so hard and should be reaching that goal this week, and so thank you, Jessica. I guess I don't remember it, but two years ago I was talking about hiking Pike's Peak and I said I got to give up on it because I'll never do it, And then I went and did it.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, why do you think that you were saying that back.
Speaker 1: Then, because it is a very daunting task and I really thought that I was like too old to do it and it is just so difficult. But I think I want to do it again next summer. And I wanted to go up with Carson.
Speaker 3: Oh I should talk to him about that.
Speaker 1: I did. I said, do you want to hike up Pikes? Yeah? Right? I said, you want to hike up Pike's Peak with me next summer? And he's like, you know, he's very unexcited about everything. Ye yeah, Like yeah, sure, I'm like, okay, well, then I think we should do it.
Speaker 2: Carson seems like one of those kids who like he probably doesn't work out, but he can just go do things. I know who he is, because that's how Andrew is too. Like it's like, oh, I'm I take staremaster classes. Who you so you think I'd be great at hiking up mountains but I'm dying. And Andrew doesn't even know what a StairMaster pretty much is, and he can like crush the hiking up a mountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We did a five k on Saint Patrick's Day in Colorado Springs and I'd been running for a while, and you know, I think a lot of it is youth. Yes, And Carson ran with me for a mile or so. Then I said, go ahead and run at your own pace, and he pulled that way in front of me. So uh well, I Needa writes in she says, hey y'all, hey, w I need to hear. Don't worry, this isn't a rant. I'm going to save those for the weekly video you asked for. Her husband suggested, instead of naming it Juanita's Corner, call it the Naggy Nelly Hour. Haha. He's hilarious, fucking not anyway. I just want to say how much I enjoyed you guys. First trap pictures, Bailey, you look so adorable, Jenny, way to show off those hoots. Vaunce. I must say you look like a sexy teenage boy, and I felt like a pedophile looking at your picture. Still look nice, though, Dave. I swear I looked at your picture and the first thing that came to mind was wet like the rain. I hope you guys had a safe, have a safe, fun weekend. I'll talk to you next week. Love y'all. Bye. If you didn't haven't heard of Juanita. She had been writing in some funny rants, and I said, make a video and she did, and it was like listening to a stand up routine. That's funny, and that was probably on Monday or Tuesday's podcast, if you want to go back and listen to Juanita's stand up routine. Laurel writes in and she lives in Phoenix, and I think we read her email on the Minnesota goodbye and I'm always curious how you found our show or why you listen in another state, And she says, you asked me to write in about how I found your show while I live in Phoenix. I'm born and raised Minnesotan, lived for twenty six years in the Western suburbs, and I was sick and tired of the winters. My boyfriend at the time had the opportunity to transfer to Phoenix for his job, so I felt it was the perfect opportunity for us to move across the country on a new adventure. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, despite my mother's constant comments about wanting me to move back. I've seen Chase your Son on TV a few times. It's a weird small world. I've been in Arizona five and a half years now, trying to move to La as soon as I find a new job, I want to be closer to the entertainment world year round outdoor activities and get out of the Phoenix summer heat. Maybe I'll run into Carson because that's where he lives now, thank you, Laurel. Yeah, Phoenix is deathly hot in the summer, just like one hundred and twelve degrees.
Speaker 4: Holy crap. But it's a dry heat, you.
Speaker 1: Know, people say that it is still. I lived in Phoenix for about three or so years, and the thing about Phoenix is in the summer you have to put a sunshade in the windshield of your car or your dashboard will crack and your steering will will crack. Really, yes, you construction workers go out to work at like five in the morning because it's too hot by noon to work outside. Nobody plays tennis or golf in the summer because it's too hot. They play it more in the winter time.
Speaker 3: Oh, why do.
Speaker 4: People retire there?
Speaker 3: That sounds awful.
Speaker 1: No, snow is old.
Speaker 4: I feel like I would walk outside and be like, this is so weird.
Speaker 1: You know when you're baking and you open up the oven, yeah, to get your pie or cookies out. Yeah, and that blast of heat comes up in your face. Yeah, that's what it feels like in Phoenix all.
Speaker 4: The time, all the time, and it really is stifling.
Speaker 1: But some people love it. I mean, Julie lived there her entire life and she loved it. Next one, this is sid in New York City. I'm currently listening to the podcast on a subway right out to.
Speaker 3: Queen Oh, I know, said shout out.
Speaker 1: Is that our Sydney or No, it's.
Speaker 2: A difference at NYME, But I just know her. She works for the same company as my sister, and she's to live in the Twin Cities in her an IDM a lot.
Speaker 1: So okay, Yeah, she's going up to Queen's for the US Open tennis tournament. I'm listening to talk about tuition at schools in Minnesota. I don't know how much college was when I went to the U in twenty fourteen to twenty eighteen, but Jenny made a comment about the price for her. Did reciprocity not exist when you started college? Minnesota and Wisconsin residents get end state tuition at respective schools. I lived in Hudson, and I'm pretty sure I had in state tuition. I transparently had a scholarship, so I really didn't pay attention to the numbers, but either way, it existed.
Speaker 2: No, it did, I think I wasn't, I think because we weren't including room and board. So I was thinking how much I remember paying for like my first semester, because I had saved so much money that I was able to pay for my first semester on my own, and so I think like with the room and board included. That's why I was like, I don't remember being that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just reading just tuition like to take classes. So if you were living at home and taking classes, that's someone who.
Speaker 1: Would be okay, not room and board. Yay. A question for the group, if you go back in time and study abroad in college or do a similar hypothetical adult experience, Now, where would you want to go for your semester of four months? Okay, good question. Allison went to Australia for jay term. I don't know that Chase went anywhere. Did you go anywhere for a no abroad?
Speaker 2: My biggest regret in college was I even went to the classes to learn about how to go abroad and stuff, but I thought it wasn't plausible for me because I didn't have any money. Yeah, I was like, there's no way I can add even more debt.
Speaker 4: Afore this I felt the same way.
Speaker 5: I did not go anywhere, but if I could, I would totally go to lake. I don't know, Scottish Highlands would be cool, or like Greece would be cool, or I don't know. I would go anywhere.
Speaker 4: If somebody was like, here's a ticket, go learn something, I'd be like, Okay.
Speaker 1: I've never thought about that. I think maybe I think you're South Korea because those are my roots, you see, because I'm twenty percent you and your roots. Yeah, and then I'm like I've got a lot of German too, so yeah, I don't know. I've never thought about that. I'm not a big desirous traveler. People are like, I want to travel, I want to travel. I don't want to go to Greece. I've been to Italy because.
Speaker 2: You don't like to travel, because I know you like to learn about like history and stuff like that. Is that the process of traveling? That doesn't it could be you or what is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because I mean I don't like to I hate the thought of flying. Obviously, the flight to Thailand was miserable for me because I already like hate for you, like flying, but I just desire to see other cultures.
Speaker 3: I think is like one of the main things that drives me.
Speaker 1: Well. The thing about traveling overseas, there's foreigners everywhere, you know what I mean, babbling in some weird language is like we we And I'm like, can you speak English? We speak Engleing.
Speaker 2: Most of them do, and were the doe is you can't speak anything besides English?
Speaker 1: It is so true, Dave Jenny Bailey. Listening to the Thursday Minnesota Goodbye, You're talking about hockey parents and Jenny mentioned she doesn't want to attend her fictitious kids' sporting events, which actually surprised me. First, I was a hockey player, and my literal dream is to drive my kids to hockey practice while I slip on a hot mocha and chat with other hockey moms about how great my son is going to weekend tournaments and drinking with the parents in the hotel while the kids fun run feral in the hallways or in the pool area. I am so hopeful I get to do that experience. However, my husband was a football player, wants to push football over hockey. Anyway, we'll figure it out and probably give our son, currently one and a half years old, the choice of whatever he wants to play, and you might be surprised they might not want to play anything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, when she frames it that way, that does sound a little more exciting than me sip and mocha. Yea, yeah, like that sounds exciting. But the thought of like having to attend things constantly when all I want to do is like, I don't know, put the laundry away because I haven't in two weeks. That's where I'm like, Yeah, I don't want to be stuck going to all these things.
Speaker 1: Well then they mentioned they say, Jenny, this is from Sydney, who's a regular staff writer. I'm surprised Jenny said she wouldn't want to go to do that stuff. Given the fact that she's competitive and an avid kickball pickleballer. I would assume you'd be screaming and yelling at your kids' sporting events. Maybe you would, but maybe this is just a good reminder that the kid part is not really what you want. Third, I don't think I have anything else, but I wanted to share that literally being a mom that hauls my kids at their sporting events is something I have looked forward to for so many years, anxiously awaiting for my one and a half year old to get big enough to start joining sports teams, even the silly rec league, so he can perfect his skills and lead to a professional athlete, so I can retire early and visit all the places he plays. A girl can dream. Cheers all have a wonderful Labor Day weekend. If you read this before, I you know what I I never came from an athletic family, so we never pressured anybody on our in our kids to play sports. Beth did gymnastics. Chase played Little League. He sucked. He was not good at little league. I was. I was in the Little league and I sucked. I hated getting up to bat because I knew that I would strike out and yeah, I just and Alison played volleyball. We didn't do sports, so there was no pressure on any of our kids to like, You're going to be a great basketball player. Allison m h.
Speaker 5: I think I when I was in seventh grade, I just decided. I was like, you know, I think I'm going to audition for the play. And my mom was just like cool, go for it. And so that's the only activity that I went into until I was convinced to do the speech team. And even then it wasn't because my mom told me to. I did dance because you know, like when you're three and your mom puts you in dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did dance. Is like tumbling around, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Just like, yeah, I'm just going to shuffle step around. And I did that for like five years.
Speaker 5: But I think, like deaf, I've always thought this that if you want your kid to do something like, you have to be really into that thing and then don't give them the option to drop out of it until they're like in high school.
Speaker 1: I think there is definitely a huge pattern of Mom was athletics, so kid is athletic. Dad was in hockey, so kid is in hockey. And I think it's because you introduced them. It's kind of like I was in boy Scouts, so Carson was deeply involved in boy Scouts. Susan was in band, and so I think that helped. And I was in band too, but she was really good, so I think that helped. With like musicianships, So maybe if you're a great musician, your kids will grow up musically inclined.
Speaker 2: That was the one thing my mom could not get my sisters and I to be into because she learned piano and played clarinet and I am. It is one of those things where I look back and I wish she would have pushed me to stay in piano long right, Yeah, but clarinet.
Speaker 3: I hated it.
Speaker 2: I do not care that I eventually quit. And I like fought her every year when she'd sign me up for band because I played from like fourth grade to seventh or eighth grade, and I like literally remember I got a bee on an assignment because I didn't turn my band sheet in or like on time, which was never me.
Speaker 3: I was like a straight A student.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got a B because I was trying to fight her so much.
Speaker 4: It'll be like I don't want to do band, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was. My mom was a band nerd.
Speaker 1: For sure, and sometimes that's you know, they go different directions anyway, Sidney, I hope your kids do exactly what you hope they what you want them to do, Yellow says Hillary Yellow. I'm catching up on old episodes and listen to the one where Dave talked about face blindness where you don't recognize faces. A friend of mine from my band came up to the fair yesterday, Gina, and she walks up, and it took me a good three seconds to realize who she was. And I've seen her face a million times, but I just wasn't expecting her to come up. And so she walks up, and here's this attractive woman who's probably fifty years old, and I'm like, okay, oh it's Gina. So it takes a minute. I have the opposite. I have a photographic memory, so I could remember more people than the average person. I don't always remember their name, but I can usually recall that I know them and where I know them from. For example, I was at a birthday party for a kid in my daughter's class a few weeks ago. I saw another mom I knew, and I realized when I asked where she went to high school, Yep, she graduated a year behind me. Sometimes I wonder if people take it as a compliment that I remember them, or think that I'm a nerd because I remember them. You know what, that's a that's a weird talent. But I think I would remember a lot of faces from high school I don't know. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm starting to develop the face blindness thing that you have, because it's like been a struggle for me now lately.
Speaker 5: Maybe because you all just know so many people, so they'll blend together after a while.
Speaker 4: You meet so many people.
Speaker 2: I do think that we meet a lot of people, and that plays a huge factor in that happening to us.
Speaker 1: I think we meet a lot of strangers. Yeah, right, And I think that's what it is because most of the people that come up to me to sit in an event or the fair, we don't know their face. So my mind, I think defaults too. You are somebody who listens to the show, not somebody who's face I recognize, So my mind will default to this is a stranger that I'm about to get to know.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly what happened to me recently because I was hanging out before a concert with a friend and someone came up to me at the bar and.
Speaker 3: Was like, Hey, do you remember me?
Speaker 2: And so I assumed it was like maybe someone I'd met at an event, and so I was like, uh no, it just remind me and They're like, it's Aspen, Like we worked together at Bubba Gumps, and I was like oh, and then it was like yeah, clicked. But I was just expecting it to be someone who I maybe met for two seconds. But I worked with this girl for like three years at Bubba Gumps. So I was like, I'm sorry, Aspen, you just caught me off guard.
Speaker 3: Of course I.
Speaker 1: Remember I'm embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but in the moment, it's like you'd think you'd recognize this person's face that you worked with for three years.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I worked with Angie Taylor for like many years, and she came up to me at a radio conference and grabbed my ass and I turned around because that's very Angie. She's so inappropriate and that's why I love her. And I turn around and I'm like hey, and she's like, Dave, it's Angie. I did not recognize her, and I don't know why. Okay, Dave. Jenny vont Bailey, this is your super fan. Parish in South Florida found your radio station several years ago after listening to the KVJ Show, which, as you know, is South Florida's best morning show. I was so happy to hear that you nominated Kevin the host of the show for his award, and that he won last month. He is very well deserving and we both agree on that. First, let me start by saying I really enjoy the new crew. Is not that I didn't love the others prior, but this seems like a very good fit, and your banter between each other is quite hilarious. The quick wit of Bailey makes me crack up every time she speaks, and the shout out to the cats was probably my favorite bit.
Speaker 4: So many people have said that.
Speaker 1: Now onto my question. I absolutely love watching the live stream on YouTube. It's like watching a show, and since I have eight hours work to fill, I need to fill at least two hours to watch. The KVJ show runs their YouTube channel for the entire four hour show, even during their commercials, plus they do their ats after the show. I think, yeah, on their YouTube channel as well. I'm just wondering why you can't run your entire show plus the Minnesota Goodbye on the YouTube channel. I don't know. Do we have any answer for that one, Jenny, I mean we could.
Speaker 2: I think we just I think the main thing is is I mean, behind the scenes, we do do replays of our show through so like there would be a long period of time sometimes where we would not be live then, so I think we try to pick like the good chunk of the show to do live, and then we kind of leave other parts out.
Speaker 1: And I also think that the first hour of the show we don't do because Vont is busy, yeah, recording, editing, loading whatever into the computer, and Vont is literally over there with his little greasy little fingers on a basically a television camera switcher, which is like there's Bailey's camera, there's Dave's camera, there's Vont's camera, there's Jenny's camera. Yeah, and so we don't the cameras don't automatically switch, so Vont has to do that and he can't do it during the first hour of the show, and the last hour is a lot of replays, to be honest with you. And the reason we do replays is because if it was really good in the seven o'clock hour, the audience is pretty much a new audience in the nine o'clock hour. So if we do War of the Roses at seven thirty five, most people who listen at seven thirty five are long gone by nine o'clock is they got to go to work or in the gym or whatever or school, and the nine o'clock audience is all new, so it's new to them. However, there are some people who go, why do you do replays? Well, that's why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you.
Speaker 1: Don't want to watch a replay because we're really sitting here picking spinach out of our teeth for forty five minutes because there's nothing going on.
Speaker 5: You're going to see the bottom of Dave's shoes because he puts his feet up on the counter.
Speaker 1: Cara, Yes, okay. They also say, I'd like to give a huge shout out to Juanita, who is super funny and maybe crack up about her story from her children texting her while she's at work. I can't understand why this happens to the kids, but as soon as I leave the house, they're texting me when their dad is sitting on the couch and can handle any question they may have. They're just a bunch of little fuckers anyway, Keep on keeping on, all right, and until next time. From sunny South Florida Parish, Thank you, Perish, love your email.
Speaker 4: I like the name parish too. What a cool name.
Speaker 1: They spell it really cool. Also, Dave and the new crew Say my Name, Say my Name. They are Aaron A couple of parts for this email. Dave, it was nice to meet you again this Saturday at the fair. My husband Barry and I just happened to come to visit the booth at around nine point forty just before your broadcast. While you were hanging out and she lepin shirts like an obedient iHeart employee. Should I think I remember you? Guys? The couple ahead of us was talking taking a bit, although I realized Dave was probably the one talking too much, and so when we got up to you, I said something to the effect of, God, can't you buy a shirt around here without waiting in line to see Dave Ryan. We laughed and then proceeded to wait for the iHeart t shirted worker to run my debit card and for Bailey to grab the DR shirt and check the side. Thank you, Bailey, anyway. I know it's been said over and over, but gold stars to everyone with his current crew and the spectacular vibe you have fashioned. Keep up the amazing work. I love hearing that. I seriously do. I mean when it was I'm gonna be flat out honest. When it was me and Jenny and Drake, it was fine. But I really love this. I love what you add. I know Jenny loves what you add. You add on and off the air with your dumb fucking comments. They come out of nowhere, they always they tickle me, They tickle me, Bailey, they tickle me. And then Vant with his I mean, Vaughn is a character because he is very opinionated. He loves Vont. Nobody loves Vont more more than ye. And I think we joked about this, and even Jenny admitted this the other day. It was something like Vont will say, how can I make this about me? And he's really good at that. Didn't you say something the other day about that?
Speaker 2: No, I think you might be referring to one I said, he doesn't know how to say a short story.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did bring that up.
Speaker 2: I think legitimately hurt his feelings because he got snapped me back at me, and he came at me from my monotone voice then, and I was like, you know what, I do have a monophone voice.
Speaker 1: I don't think you have a monotone voice. But anyway, I think that Vont and Bailey are really what really makes the show what it is because I think that we all have a different feel, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Sure, a different mouth feel, a different.
Speaker 1: Mouth feel like rispy, you're christy.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard mel No?
Speaker 5: They to describe like wine, like the mouth feel is wholesome.
Speaker 1: And also, I don't you think the texture, you know what I mean? So like I'm chewy, Jenny is crispy. There's like seven layer.
Speaker 5: Like a crispy like a diet coke from McDonald's kind of crispy.
Speaker 1: Kind of ye, but I think it of a seven layer bar. Okay, seven layer bar. You got the you got the crispy, okay, but you've also got the sweet.
Speaker 4: And I'm the coconut.
Speaker 1: Well, you would be the coconute. I'm the chewy, and vant is obviously the chocolate. Yes, So did the computer just go out?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think, see what's happening because it's blank, and I can't tell one.
Speaker 3: We need to be life again. So I think we still got like a minute or.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's interesting because my computer screen.
Speaker 3: Is as blank.
Speaker 1: But is there still audio playing through the radio? It's left, all right? Next question from Aaron and Berry. My other item is just a question I think about every year when you start promotions regarding Rogers' Rescue Ride. Would it be appropriate or allowed welcome to participate just by following the bikes on the road and stopping with you all of the different stops. We don't ride, but we would love to support and join the cause your thoughts. Absolutely, one hundred percent. We've actually said that and welcome people. It's like you don't ride, drive your car. We don't care. We're all just friends and we just enjoy it and enjoy the scenic ride. Absolutely, Aaron and Barry. If you want to ride along, you can come in a wheelbarrow. I don't care. If you want to drive behind us, you're more than welcome to. Yeah, the shirts this year for Rogers' Rescue Ride are worth the price of admission alone. Go on my Facebook page Dave Ryan KTWB and look at it's a cat on a motorcycle. Hey, that's kind of all the time we have. I hope you have a great holiday weekend, enjoy yourselves, and thank you seriously. We'd love that you listen. And thanks for telling a friend about it, because that's great. That is definitely a way to get the word out, so thank you. Send your emails to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com.