Speaker 1: And now, in cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States, Waterman's Pens.
Speaker 2: And Waterman's Inc.
Speaker 3: Present gang Busters.
Speaker 2: Out of the foxholes of Europe, from the steaming jungle swamps of the Pacific. Our men are now coming home to a new America. A wave of crime has followed every war, and we must not allow lawbreakers to tear down here at home the very ideals that our men have fought to preserve.
Speaker 1: Tonight, Gangbusters present the authentic inside facts concerning a killer who felt he was even too tough for the army.
Speaker 4: And so Lewis J.
Speaker 2: Vallen, who has just resigned as commissioner of the largest police department in the world, takes over to interview by proxy Chief A. S. Harper, Chief of Police of Amarillo, Texas, Commissioner Valentine.
Speaker 5: Chief Harper, I believe that one of the surest ways to combat crime is to expose it. Now, we would like to have you rip this case wide open tonight, well.
Speaker 1: Commissioner Valentine, I'd like to start back in October nineteen forty two, at ten thirty in the evening, a small time gangster, Doc Rickett was sitting with his girlfriend in a fashionable Cincinnati nightclub.
Speaker 5: You're a snappy looking number tonight current.
Speaker 6: You like this dress?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 7: Yes, but you like a glove, he'd them, Hey, what are you stering us?
Speaker 4: Huh? What are you staring us?
Speaker 6: Red headed man over there? Any objections?
Speaker 4: Honey, you're my girlfriend.
Speaker 6: The redhead doesn't think so, he's smiling.
Speaker 7: Hey, don't pay any attention to him.
Speaker 4: Cora, Why not? That's Red Beaver, red Beef.
Speaker 7: He's dynamite. The FBI and Secret Service have sent out coast to coast alarms. He was a deserter from the army. He's the quickest trigger man I know of. He only pulls the biggest jobs there are.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Ricket, I thought he was interesting. Now I'm sure.
Speaker 7: Now you've done at He's coming over. You cross him and you get a bullet through your head.
Speaker 6: And you thought you were a big shot. I bet there are a million girls who wish they were in my place right now.
Speaker 4: He's shop pretty late about a little dance play off. Beaver, she's my girl, So you know who I am? Rickon?
Speaker 8: Sure I spotted you, red Hair.
Speaker 7: I know Sunday scroll teating myself.
Speaker 8: I blow around?
Speaker 4: How do you know my name? When I spotted good looking here, I asked a few questions about who she was with her? What's your tax?
Speaker 6: Should Cora Coral Weston?
Speaker 4: Mmmm, you've got what it takes. Car move over us s down. Cora is my girl, you know, Rick?
Speaker 9: And I think I could use you, maybe put you up in a big dough. Yeah, yeah, I could use this smart guy right now.
Speaker 4: My business?
Speaker 7: What kind of business spever.
Speaker 2: Be?
Speaker 4: Entertainment business? Yeah? Sure, I'd like to entertain. Let's see, we'll start with a little Halloween party.
Speaker 6: I had Aoween party where.
Speaker 4: In the Avondale branch of the Second National Bank.
Speaker 9: Oh, I get it, Uh huh Halloween.
Speaker 4: You know, sweep the clean with the witches brown. Suppose you take a walk for a couple of minutes, cricud I I had went a little board of directed meeting there with Karra. Well, I gram, okay.
Speaker 7: Okay, I would I would get a drink at the bar and then I'll be back.
Speaker 4: Smooth, honey, Here are plenty of smoke.
Speaker 6: Here are kind of sugar coated yourself favor.
Speaker 9: Leave him Holiday's Kara, I guess, sir, Why today's Columbus Day.
Speaker 4: Remember a Columbus discovered America and moved in. So so I'm taking a tip from him. I just discovered you, so I'm gonna do like him. I don't moved in. Uh, I say, sad, Cora sit in your apartment? You blame to me.
Speaker 6: Want me to fix your cocktail beaver?
Speaker 4: After two weeks you have to ask me. I'll land panel out to the answer. Hello, Oh what is that your beaver? Sure it's me. Well, I I haven't got anything to do. I suppose I drop up hunh No, Cora is my girlfriend? Uh record? Oh uh? Get your surprise package?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but a clown.
Speaker 4: Suit and a cowboy suit? What's your gag? Sim Well, it's Halloween.
Speaker 9: You dress up fancy on Halloween, don't you. You are to wear a clown suit? See good gag?
Speaker 6: Eh ah.
Speaker 9: Besides, the client tile at the bank will have a tough time describing a clown and a cowboy.
Speaker 4: I get it. Work with me, awhile rack it and you're learning things.
Speaker 10: Attention on all police Almondale branch of the Second National Bank just robbed is seven thousand dollars by two men and Halloween costumes. One undress is a cowboy. One as a cloud approach with caution. He's met a heavily off.
Speaker 11: That's all well, agend Hayley. We've put that warning on every teletype.
Speaker 4: Through the stage.
Speaker 5: We at the FBI appreciate your cooperation. Captain Morrise.
Speaker 11: The Bandit's turn of dressing in halloween costumes was a touch of genius. Nobody can seem to identify them. But I've always noticed that when a man gets money easily, he spends it easily. So it's just one possible trap. I sent out an alert the nightclubs, bars, racetracks and pool rooms to watch for.
Speaker 4: Men who seem to be spending money too freely.
Speaker 5: Good, perfect, I'll never guess they're spending a little too much money, is what we're waiting for.
Speaker 4: Like this nightclub girl.
Speaker 6: We've sure have been covering them all, haven't we read?
Speaker 4: That's me girl everything in a big way.
Speaker 6: He would read you've been cracking so many banks every day headlines in the papers.
Speaker 4: Rickard's so scared he doesn't even dare leave.
Speaker 6: I had a He's pretty jealous, you know, read you taking me away from him?
Speaker 9: To leave Rickett to me, maybe I've got the biggest job yet lined up.
Speaker 4: A hundred thousand. Yeah, when Christmas.
Speaker 9: At Christmas time, everybody gets presents. I figure David the year Charleston trust to want to give us a present?
Speaker 6: Whey do you always pick a holiday red?
Speaker 9: Holidays are made for guys like me on holidays are suckers stuff up with takee and guzzle booze.
Speaker 4: Right, they get slow and care was gee, I never thought of that. It was makes him slip up and let themselves uh a way to way to bring another bottle of that champagne over here coming off.
Speaker 6: He's spending your money off of fast tonight.
Speaker 4: Read that's the way I make it, isn't it? A thanks have much of money? You know?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you've been drinking a lot, he said tonight.
Speaker 4: And the man was drinking. He wasn't himself. That's for other guys, not to me. You couldn't tell by the way I suck. I've had a drink.
Speaker 5: Here you are, sir, and pull through champagne.
Speaker 4: You know something, I'm gonna take a bath on that stuff.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't do that, sir.
Speaker 4: The bubbles a tick him quick on the trigger and he pour it suddenly. So oh.
Speaker 8: Anything else, sir?
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, buy yourself a house for Christmas. Yeah, take it. Drink you, sir, But yeah you say, uh, thank you, sir, thank you.
Speaker 6: You've blown your top, beaver, given that guy a sentry for a tish.
Speaker 4: Shut up and drink your champagne. Dames of crab all the time, get on my nerves.
Speaker 6: You couldn't just slip the way to the hundred.
Speaker 4: Oh no, not you.
Speaker 6: You had to make a production of it.
Speaker 4: I said, shut up, first thing, you know? Oh you're putting that loose slip of yours, or I'll slap you again.
Speaker 6: Now you've done it, your fool that are Sergeant? Why you slap me?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I eat on me. Sergeant's on toast. Uh. He's gonna use that for an excuse to come over and meet you. Us, gonna chase win.
Speaker 12: Like I did to get you away from Rick.
Speaker 7: What's the matter?
Speaker 1: Something wrong?
Speaker 4: What's it to you? Can I do anything for your miss? No?
Speaker 6: No, everything's all right.
Speaker 4: Hey what was your figuring on doing shot? If it hadn't been all right, I'd take it easy. But you've been celebrating a little too much. I suppose because you're in the army, your figure. Maybe I'm easy pickings.
Speaker 7: Uh oh, look, I don't want any trouble.
Speaker 9: As long as the young lady says, she's all right, okay, I'm leaving.
Speaker 4: I see you. We're gonna pull up Prince Charman stuff. What that gunaway said? Time? Sergeant, you ran into a tough customer.
Speaker 12: Oh you're so tough.
Speaker 3: Why don't you join the army? We need some good fighters.
Speaker 4: Are the army? Huh? I don't see you being so brave, And besides, I don't like the looks of an army uniform.
Speaker 6: Fred tred don't follow me. We gotta get out of here.
Speaker 4: How long are we gonna stay? Hold up here?
Speaker 9: In chorus five, Beaver as long as I say so, record, start playing at Piana cars.
Speaker 6: Sit down, Beaver, he's driving us.
Speaker 4: Not to that wall. Shut up. It wasn't for your negative wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 6: Can you beat that? We'd get a smooth full blows the top, shoots, and army sergeants sometimes to pin the.
Speaker 4: Wrap on me. Yeah, I had not to be so quick with that ride. Beaver.
Speaker 9: You're gonna start tell him me how to operate?
Speaker 5: Oh no, and ain't kill him?
Speaker 4: Comes pretty easy to me. Record. I'd remember that if I were you. The same goes for you, gir and wild say, there ain't no woodpecker. See what is called? Oh how u the cops store him?
Speaker 12: Give us a chance to get out the back when wander the fire escape and get the cops.
Speaker 4: I'll last him from there.
Speaker 3: Oh holm a doll.
Speaker 6: Take your time, boys, take your time. Okay, what you sell him?
Speaker 11: I'm Captain Morris of the Cincinnati Detective After her is a federal ation. So what we're looking for?
Speaker 4: Mine? And was him coming into this building?
Speaker 6: What'ch it on me? Every man who comes in this building, don't come up here.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, got the comedy. We know he's here. Step percent hold.
Speaker 6: It, Copper, I'm old fashioned. I don't know that strange man into my apartment. Unles, they got the search one really yeah, and that goes double for Coppers.
Speaker 11: But by an odd coincidence, I happened to have a such one right here.
Speaker 6: Well, if you must come head, what was that?
Speaker 4: Come on?
Speaker 11: Come back from that fire escape into the room again, put your arms up. We guessed if we came in the door, you a gentleman might go out the window. So I had a few of my men out there. Okay, yeah, I know one of 'em.
Speaker 3: Captain Morse Rickett.
Speaker 5: Ricket's an old time gangster.
Speaker 3: The Redhead the new one.
Speaker 4: I'm just an innocent bystander.
Speaker 11: The Redhead is the one who shot the army side.
Speaker 4: You that nothing, not me coping.
Speaker 11: Oh, we had all the nightclubs tipped off the report and then and was spending money too freely. The waiter will wait it on your table.
Speaker 8: Call us up.
Speaker 11: We examined a hundred dollar bill. You gave him a tip.
Speaker 4: I wanna see my lawyer.
Speaker 8: I don't blame you.
Speaker 4: Red.
Speaker 11: Suppose we get down the headquarters for a talk. And if I say no, well you should say no. I'll tell you you would come along a good deal like this.
Speaker 6: Let's saw me.
Speaker 4: Let's all will.
Speaker 5: So Red Beavers started moving fast, Chief Popper.
Speaker 1: His commissioner. Red Beaver didn't know what had struck him till he was safe behind bars.
Speaker 10: But the crime history of Red Beaver not yet reached his peak.
Speaker 2: Tonight marks the first broadcast in this Elle Waterman Company presentation of Gangbusters. And we're proud we have been able to select a chief investigator and commentator for these programs, a man who has been a police officer for almost half a century, and who last midnight resigned after eleven years as Police Commissioner of the New York City Police Department.
Speaker 4: Lewis J.
Speaker 2: Valentine, as head of the largest police force in the world, has made contacts with and influence police procedure on a nationwide scale. Federal, state, and local police departments throughout the country know in respect Commissioner Valentine as being in the forefront of our constant war against crime. Gangbusters and the L. E. Waterman Company are proud that Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine will act as chief investigator on these factual cases. Well, Commissioner Valentine, how does it feel to be facing a microphone?
Speaker 5: Frankly, mister Gardner, it's harder to face than a gangster with a gun. But the Only Waterman Company has provided me with an opportunity to do something I've wanted to do for a long time. To me, Gangbusters, which names names and states SAX is the ideal way to prove the folly of crime to those who might otherwise be led astray. And it's going to be my purpose to see that every program is pointed to bring about a better, safer, happy America for all.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Commissioner, and now, in recognition of your never ending fight against.
Speaker 8: Crime, the L E.
Speaker 2: Waterman Company makes the year's first network presentation of its Watermens de Luke's pen and Pencil gift set to you, Commissioner.
Speaker 5: Thank you, mister Gardner. It's certainly as beautiful. But I already have a Waterman set, one that was presented to me when I became a Captain of Police in this department nineteen years ago. And I'd rather miss one of Missus Valentine's home meals than lose that set.
Speaker 2: Well, Commissioner, I don't blame you, but we do want you to have this newest model Waterman's.
Speaker 5: Thanks mister Gardner, I accepted gratefully and I'll use them both.
Speaker 2: And now, Commissioner Valentine. Back to the case of Red Beaver.
Speaker 4: Chief Hopper.
Speaker 5: Red Beaver was in the Cincinnati prison.
Speaker 1: He is Commissioner of Valentine, and it was sixteen minutes before nine in the evening February twelve.
Speaker 13: Red Beaver lay.
Speaker 1: Sprawled in his bunk, watching water pouring from his wash base into the cell floor. Final lee, he walked over to the bar, separating him from Doc ricket itself?
Speaker 8: Hi, very good?
Speaker 4: Where's all the water coming from? Beaver?
Speaker 9: I told you we'd break, editor, John, But if it's all the time to you, I'd rather walk got the swimmer.
Speaker 4: You know what day today is, Vivian sure, February twelve? So what February twelve? Lincoln's birthday? What do you want we should do with birthday cake? You never heard what Lincoln did?
Speaker 9: We got him, so shot what you're raiment for us to get? Ever before he did, he freed the slaves. So today's Lincoln's birthday, So we'll do like him. We'll free the slaves us in it just like that? How comes up your base?
Speaker 4: And like the water and on the floor, why you're just running plenty.
Speaker 7: You're gonna start raising fishing in it like I say, Okay, okay.
Speaker 12: Good, Now we'll wait a minute and we call it God.
Speaker 4: And what we yell for a dry cell?
Speaker 9: When I would switch, when we hit him over the head and make a break, that's the water coming.
Speaker 7: They could launch a ship in here now, okay, ran in a cup?
Speaker 5: God got up.
Speaker 13: Kitchens gaming prisoners. Red Beaver and Doc Reckett have just.
Speaker 10: Held up the Second National Bank and our paving Green nineteen forty Christ Lissaedan license number two nine three dash three four eight.
Speaker 4: That is all.
Speaker 9: To Kansas City Police.
Speaker 13: To Kansas City Police believe killer Red Fever and par Ricketts are driving toward Kansas City.
Speaker 4: These men are heavily armed.
Speaker 13: Suggest roadblock.
Speaker 4: I can't stand us ray much longer, favor I'm cracking, how worried? Will be all right here to Kansas City. The whole country's working forest. I always do things in a big way, Ricketts. If I tell you Kansas City's safe, I got it all figured out. Broad block up ahead, Plato's brought and compass all over the place. I'll run over. I'll kill afula come on, I'm all in. Well, what's what's going on for? Paises Cock h Glass.
Speaker 5: Kansas City?
Speaker 13: FBI Washington Doc Rickett, companion of Red Beaver, was found hiding in cellar in Kansas City. Rickett is now under arrest. Red Beaver escaped and is believed hiding in one of the southern states.
Speaker 8: Hello hello, Edwards.
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, yeah, sure, this is Edwards. That's you home. Sure yeah, Wait a minute, Lisa, down man, you get tired. I'm just not used to this Texas weather.
Speaker 10: How do you like it here in Ambrillo?
Speaker 4: It depends upon how well you like?
Speaker 9: Hey, baby, very often I'll see the night all right, Yeah, we'll go to a clebt better.
Speaker 4: No, No, what's matic? Holdly can you beat that?
Speaker 12: H what's the matter?
Speaker 4: Two women out in the street they bump cars. Oh, but the little one shoving a big one around. Nah, the big one, she won't take it.
Speaker 11: Wall, what happened?
Speaker 4: The little one gives a big one a slap. The cops seen him. Hey, there's a grand sand seat. Hey, they're looking up here at the window. They can see me laughing.
Speaker 6: Now, see, you're as good as a radio fight.
Speaker 14: Announced it is.
Speaker 4: The CoP's walking across the sidewalk. Todd my lendo here and this is a laugh.
Speaker 5: Why if you'll only know, Hey, we see you saw these two women bump cars?
Speaker 2: Didn't you sure?
Speaker 4: I see him off the side? I was looking right out the window here, and which one was at fall? He had valent? You don't get me between two days, especially those days. If one of them was cute, it might be different.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 4: Hello, Wait a minute, baby, I'm talking about a copy here. Well, I guess I have to take him up to the station house. Will you come up with me and tell what you're sold? Now, wait a minute, I'm not gone. Okay, okay, share, I'll go with you. I'll be much applied to be wools. Yah, sure I will. Hello, Shugar, I'll call you back later.
Speaker 9: I gotta go say justice done well Coppa, wait away, I'll put on my hat and.
Speaker 4: Be right with you. This is a gentleman. I was telling you about Captain Kirkman. He was sitting in the window and saw the two women bump enders.
Speaker 11: Oh, I appreciate your coming up to the station.
Speaker 4: That's all right.
Speaker 8: What's your name?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Edwin.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm Captain Kirkman and this is Captain King.
Speaker 4: I'm glad to meet you. Oh, sit down, mister Edwards. H You've got a pretty good police station here at Amreillo, haven't you. It serves this purpose. You're a stranger in Amreilla. I've been here a couple of months. Hey, you want me to tell you about those two women from because.
Speaker 5: Yes, but you don't happen to know a man by the.
Speaker 8: Name of Red Beaver.
Speaker 4: Uh. Red Beaver. He's an escaped convict and the killer. No, I never had whom but he asked me. I was just wondering.
Speaker 11: Red.
Speaker 4: That's all. Call me Red. My name is reddits Jack Jack Edwards. Oh I see here there's a wanted circular for Red Beaver for.
Speaker 5: Desertion from the army and killing an army sergeant. I don't know what you're sucking standing back to you, all have their guns out.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't kill my body with me. I didn't kill him. What a sucker I am.
Speaker 9: Yes, sure, all police officers have been on the lookout for you from the ending up here for then two dams A bump their cars.
Speaker 4: I could funk them off.
Speaker 5: Didn't figure it might be a little planned to get you up here without any shooting.
Speaker 4: And I thought I was smart, me me Red Beaver being took in by this one hot joint. I didn't kill that guy, don't. We'll leave that to the United States Army. Beaver.
Speaker 11: They're asking for you.
Speaker 4: No, look, I'll do anything. I'll tell you anything you want to know, but don't let the army get hold of me. So don'tn't don't let the honey get hold it.
Speaker 5: Please, he tail.
Speaker 2: Harry Red Beaver, as convicted by a court martial at Fort Sill.
Speaker 10: You will on this morning of September twenty sixth, nineteen forty.
Speaker 4: Four, be hanged by the neck until dead.
Speaker 8: Harry Beaver, have you anything to say?
Speaker 4: No, No, I just think goodness.
Speaker 8: May God rest your soul.
Speaker 1: And Commissioner Valentine at six thirty seven am, twenty minutes later, Harry Red Beaver is dead, executed by the United States Army.
Speaker 4: Offer.
Speaker 5: This has been a terrific case tonight one I doubt that we will ever forget. I wish that every person in this country might have heard.
Speaker 1: It is Commissioner Valentine to Red Beaver. The men in the uniform of their country were suckers. He knew better, he knew how to get easy money.
Speaker 12: But it didn't turn out that way, and it never does.
Speaker 2: And now before we present our urgent, last minute bulletins on persons wanted.
Speaker 3: By the authorities. At this very moment, the case of Red Beaver is over.
Speaker 2: But the case of the missing words remains a mystery to millions of Americans. Their only clue is the peculiar behavior of a fountain pen, a pen that sometimes writes on and on without ever seeming to run drop.
Speaker 4: Then again it seems.
Speaker 3: Out of ink almost before it starts.
Speaker 2: The reason is that in the first instance, the pen was filled with Waterman's wonderful blue black ink, and thus gave thousands of extra words. The second time, however, a different ink had been used and fewer words resulted. This tremendous difference, ladies and gentlemen is because Waterman's Blue Black is all ink, true ink, no solvents, no added chemicals, no delution. That's why, by actual test, Waterman's Blue black ink gives you up to six thousand, five hundred.
Speaker 3: More words per filling.
Speaker 2: Think of it, up to six thousand, five hundred more words per filling than other inks tested. Now you can cut those messy pen filling chores, perhaps in half. Now you can write steadily for hour after hour after hour without pausing to refill your pen, and all you have to do is to make every filling all Waterman's filling. Yes, you can solve your own case of the misty words forever with Waterman's Blue black ink. And remember, Waterman's ink is also available in seven other pleasing and distinctive colors, all come in the convenient tip fill bottles, each only ten cents. All Gangbusters Nationwide clues.
Speaker 4: Chief R. F.
Speaker 2: Wisner, Dayton, Ohio Police Department announces a reward of eighty five hundred dollars is being offered for return of two and a half year old baby, Ronald Thompson and conviction of his kidnapper. Here is description given Gangbusters by Dayton Police of alleged kidnapper woman known.
Speaker 14: As Mary Wilkie forty to forty five years old, five feet six inches, about one hundred and fifty pounds, ruddy complexion, ready sh brown hair. Believed Hannett brushed back and up speeks with slight accent, possibly Southern or Eastern, pleasing personality.
Speaker 10: Renew vigilance for this woman.
Speaker 14: Reward now offered by Dayton, Ohio Police. Eighty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: From Denver, Colorado Police surgent bulletin concerning suspect wanted for questioning and connection with murder of Ja richardson that city. Suspect described as follows Andrew Cypus alias Jack Wood alias William Hammond, thirty six, five feet six inches, about one hundred and fifty pounds.
Speaker 10: Dark hair, brown eyes. When last seen, according to police, wore khaki shirt or jacket with bloodstain on right shoulder and sleeve where he supposedly was shot in struggle with victim. Suspect believed to have left scene of crime in company of women in green Pontiac Satan bearing Los Angeles license ending in numerals eight zero. Watch for Andrew Cypus, wanted for questioning, murder dead the police Department.
Speaker 2: If you have any information concerning these clues, notify your local police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or gang Busters at once now here is Commissioner Valentine.
Speaker 5: Next week, Gangbusters will present the Case of the Red Evening Dress. It's about a girl and her love for a killer.
Speaker 3: Remember next week, same time, same station.
Speaker 2: One of the most unusual cases Gangbusters has ever presented.
Speaker 4: In the meantime.
Speaker 2: When you are buying a fountain pen or when you're buying ink, just look for the name Waterman's gang Buster's Sanctual Case Histories is a Philip's h Lord production. This is ABC, the American Broadcasting Company