Speaker 1: All right, let's go Fred Rogan and Rodney Peak on a five to seventy LA Sports. We've got a full three hour show for you today because the Dodgers home against the A's.
Speaker 2: That'll work that, uh, Fred? Treating them like the damn Colorado Rockies. You're the Athletics a chance? No, No, you know it's sad. I think the Athletics are actually better than the Angels.
Speaker 3: They are, they are worlds better than the Angels. They're five hundred am I having the game over?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, they got a good young players. Actually, they're not that bad.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you got it into your mind because they playing Sacramento, Fred, is that why you think they're the minor league team or something?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've done this. Tell me if you've done it or not, you're not the MLB package. So I watch games all the time. I specifically watch the games in Tampa, where they play in a minor league stadium, and Sacramento, where they play in a minor league stadium. Have you done that?
Speaker 4: I have?
Speaker 2: I have watched Yes, I have watched the Tampa Bay Rays play and I've watched the A's play up in Sacramento.
Speaker 4: It's it's kind of disheartened me a little bit.
Speaker 1: Isn't it really?
Speaker 2: It is it is you feel bad for him. You feel bad for him that you know, this is a major league club and then you look up and you're like we were talking about yesterday with the Dodgers, new clubhouse, new visiting clubhouse, new you know, everything beautiful and plush when you come into the Blue Heaven. And then these guys got to go. I mean they just played the Yankees. I ain't there, right, And so the Yankees went to Sacramento. Imagine yank go from Yankee Stadium and then you're going to play the A's out there in Sacramento at a minor league park.
Speaker 1: They have people sitting on the grass in the outfield.
Speaker 4: Yes, do you.
Speaker 1: Believe that about a major league stadium.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a college World Series or something. It was. Yeah, it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It is so bad for baseball. It is just so bad for baseball, and both the A's and Ray's our teams that don't spend a lot of money. Now, of course, the A's had a real problem with the storm in Tampa that destroyed their stadium, and now they're still trying to figure out if they're going to build a new one in Saint Pete, because they were going to build a brand new one, right, and then the city said, I don't think we're going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah we don't. Yeah, there's not we don't drawing up anyway. Why are we going to do that.
Speaker 1: We're not going to give you the kind of deal we thought we would. So the owner of the rains says, well, then you suit yourself. We won't do it. They have nowhere to play, they have no where to play. And the a's is that thing has just been trashed and run into the ground. And now they're going to move to Oakland, where, of course the mayor of are they're going to move to Las Vegas, Vegas, And of course the mayor of Las Vegas said, you know, you really don't need to come. You really don't need to come. If you want to go back, feel free because in Vegas there's a mayor of the Strip and the Mayor of Vegas and the mayor of Vegas, and then you know, don't rush, there's no need for you to rush up.
Speaker 2: Oh no, don't rush, don't ruh. The stadium is they're building it though, aren't they? Yeah, I three years, I guess they play it three years.
Speaker 3: It has not broken ground quite yet. By the way, Brown breaking ceremony is schedule for next month, so technically they have not started.
Speaker 4: They have not done anything yet. So I mean, and technically they're were two years away at least.
Speaker 3: I think three, right, I think twenty eight. I think twenty twenty eight is when they're Wow, they're gonna thinking tentatively to start?
Speaker 4: Are they going to continue to play in Sacramento for the next two years? Three years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right to play.
Speaker 2: Wow, almost you know, almost prefer them to go to Arizona, play one of those parks.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, well, not Chase Field. What do you mean, who whole kind of party?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ho ho com talking stick, you know, talking stick, you know, Camelback Ranch, one of those fields and play there.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 1: Why not go to Tucson and play? Well, wait a minute, the A's had their spring training there. Why don't they just play there?
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't they Why wouldn't they?
Speaker 3: Well, I assume they're a Cactus League team. I know for a fact that they are. So if you're a Sacramento you're you're not really closer down the street from Oakland, but you're a close ish closer there than you would be.
Speaker 4: For your fans.
Speaker 2: For your fans, yeah, your fan base can drive up the rusts like an hour from Oakland Sacramento.
Speaker 4: So it's not that bad. But they weren't getting a whole lot of fans anyway.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say both fans and actually went to their games in Oakland anyway, can also just make the Sacramento Uh.
Speaker 1: That is sorry watching those guys play in minor league stadium though, I have to tell you, and that's why I specifically wanted to see. Okay, I'm gonna sit there and watch. Can you see a difference? Yes, when you watch it, does it feel different? Yes, it just doesn't look like the big time.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't. It doesn't.
Speaker 2: And it feels like the lighting's not that great. I mean, it's all these little things that just you can tell where this is like an off brand game?
Speaker 4: Where are they playing? This is an exhibition somewhere? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know you you turn on your watching the you know you watch the Guardians, you watch even the White Sox.
Speaker 4: Are you watching Boston? Are you watching anyway? Kansas City? You just as soon as you flip.
Speaker 2: It on, it's right, it's clear, it's clean, it's you know, you're watching a game at a big league park, whereas those two places.
Speaker 1: Man Man, Yeah, Baseball has not done a good job with that. I mean, rob Manfred has has innovated a number of things. He also called I think the World Series Trophy a piece of junk at one point when he was drunk. But they have not handled this kind of thing well at all. Then why didn't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't, and and it was it. The mayor of Oakland, Alameda County is screwed up anyway. I know, I'm dealing with them. So they just decided that they were not going to allow them to play at the coliseum anymore. Right, so they said they were moving to Vegas. They said, okay, you can't play here anymore, but you can't renew, can't renew your lease, or can't do that.
Speaker 1: So they probably said, thank god, thank god, we can't renew. Thank god.
Speaker 2: You know, there's still a preferred playing there than the minor league stadium. Fred, when you think, well, I gotta tell you to be honest with Rodney, to be honest, if it's the Oakland Coliseum or Sacramento. In that one situation, I might pick Sacramento. That's how bad the coliseum was. That was all it is, just off, it really was, it really was.
Speaker 1: I mean, you were part of a group that tried to keep the Raiders there. You know how bad everything is. That thing was terrible. Hey, nobody cared.
Speaker 4: Nobody cared.
Speaker 2: And when you deal with but you felt like you were at a big league park though, Fred, you felt like you were in head dump, a dump.
Speaker 4: But a big league park nonetheless.
Speaker 1: Right, you felt like you were a dump. That's what you felt like. It was awful, awful, And when you leel with Oakland, you don't deal with Oakland. That's what people don't understand. Right, There's three municipalities that count, and everybody gets a vote and gets to extract their pound of flesh. That's why nothing gets.
Speaker 2: Done up and they're never on the same page, no, because their egos are so involved up there. It's it's so ridiculous. It's why you know all the teams left. I mean, you imagine at one point they had the A's, the Raiders, and the Golden State Warriors playing that same facility, that the same complex area right there, and all they gotta do is renovate it.
Speaker 4: Renovated.
Speaker 2: There's enough space to renovate it, build new new stadiums, new things there. It would have been it been like you know, almost like you know, so far right with football. Now you got into a dome and just all around that and just build around it. Yet again, they can get together and even when certain boat, you know, certain teams say we'll pitch in too. So there's no taxpayer dollars. California doesn't do that right like other states. So even with that, the county and the city and like you said, the three municipalities could not get together because too many Eagles are involved.
Speaker 1: So they lost all three teams. And now look at the city of Oakland, by the way, Yeah, look at Oakland. Look at San Francisco. Yeah, they're separated by the bridge.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're basically in the same place. It's like Dallas Fort Worth, right, San Francisco Oakland. Look at what has happened with the way that city has been operated. They've lost their professional teams. I'm sure property values have decreased. Anything that's worth anything is in San Francisco. So you're kind of an outlier up there because of the decisions they've made, their inability to look forward, their refusal to work together. And now you see what Oakland has become. So and now the Oakland A's are no longer the Oakland A's, nor are they the Sacramento as. They are simply the athletics. They have no home. They are the athletics. If they were in your heart, then they play in your city. They are the athletics that will be playing the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 4: And the thing about it is crazy.
Speaker 2: When I used to really like the Oakland A's growing up a little bit, I thought they're you know, especially because during the time I started to get into sports in the early seventies, they were winning championships.
Speaker 4: Reddy Jackson and Sally.
Speaker 2: They had the big names, right, Riley Fingers in sal Bando, and it was the owner was that Charlie Finley was the owner, and he was a flashy guy, right, And they were the first, I think, to start wearing white.
Speaker 4: Shoes, you know, And so they were cool. They were cool. Oakland A's were cool. And look where the are now. Look with it.
Speaker 2: Do you think they can survive? I mean, do you think they survived night, But do you think they thrive or do much better in Vegas given that it's a summertime sport and Vegas is one hundred and ten in the summer.
Speaker 1: Do I think they'll draw better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll draw better than Oakland, for sure, they have it. But do you think that they do well in Vegas? You think baseball does well? I mean people said hockey couldn't survive in Vegas and it's gone through the roof.
Speaker 1: And Hockey's killed it. Yeah, and I'm sure the NBA went against there will do that as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the NBA will kill it in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Sure, and certainly Mark Davis has pleased and he moved the Raiders there.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: But baseball's a different animal. There are so many games, that's the problem. I mean, there's too many games in every sport quite honestly. Oh you're not a sports fan, Yes I am, And as a sports fan, I'm telling you there are too many games. True, But that will never change in baseball. I mean, the Dodgers are an anomaly. It doesn't matter what game you go to. It's hard to get a ticket. It's hard to get a ticket.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be at least forty five fifty thousand people in stands on a regular basis on a Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium playing the Athletics. I mean, there's gonna be that many people there. You can't get there anywhere else. But I just don't know Vegas. You know, seven o'clock game on a Tuesday in Las Vegas, where it's still at seven o'clock, it is still one hundred and five. Are you gonna get people to go out?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: I know it's domed and it's gonna be covered, and you know, we talked about the problems that Arizona Diamondbacks have had. I mean, thank God that they've won lately, so they get some crowds there. A lot of those crowds come from the teams that they're playing. They had many Dodger fans at that stadium at Chased, then they had Diamondback fans.
Speaker 4: So I just don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if baseball survives or at least thrives in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: The only way for it to do that. And I have no idea what ticket prices and other markets are. I know they're probably less, except if you're dealing with the Yankees. But uh, they need to make those tickets ultra affordable. Whatever the definition of that is ultra affordable. They need people in the building, so whatever that means, whatever that costs, that's what they need to do. Don't come in there with prices like you're in New York or LA. Yeah, make it up some other way, right, make it up. You have some incredible restaurants concessions in there. You know, maybe add an extra dollar to the dog. But let people get into the building because once you get them into building, they're gonna spend money on food and beer and everything else. But if you're you know, like you said, if they've got the second highest ticket prices in the league, people are gonna.
Speaker 2: I ain't going, as a family of four gonna go. Remember Vegas, Vegas is not stripped. You know, the Strip is one percent of Vegas. There's a whole community to people that live in Vegas that have nothing to do, well, let's say nothing, but they don't. They don't hang out on the Strip where it's glitzy and glamour. It's big, big time whales spending all kinds of money. It's the people that live there, the residents are the ones that you're counting on not going to spend that kind of money.
Speaker 1: And here's the other thing. And I've learned that from working in the desert when I do covering things here of course in la as well. You know where they get you, you know where everybody gets you. It's not necessarily you know, you said, let's make these tickets affordable, and maybe they make it up a buck moore a dog or something like that. You know where they really get you parking. Yeah, they get you in parking everywhere. That's where they make their money. Parking. So the tickets, for example, a hockey ticket out here could be thirty bucks. You go, okay, that's fine, right, little small market. Yeah, parking is forty Yeah, think about that question. More a park and go to the game. That's where they make their money. Always in parking.
Speaker 4: Yeah they do, Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: And you know, you know most places now they have a special area for rides here now and now you're sure they're charging those rights. Her companies of fortune to be able to pull in and drop off and pick up there.
Speaker 1: I think, Kevin, what they're doing down in Orange County, the Sam Welli's with the Ducks correct me if I'm wrong. They're starting a new program there where when you buy a ticket, the cost of parking is already figured in.
Speaker 3: That is true. You pay for PID, your ticket and your parking, and basically you drive up to the parking garage or whatever it is, you scan your ticket, it lets you in. You don't have to pay for parking. In addition, it's all included.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm sure that they've increased the price, sure, right, Yeah, they figured it in, right, Yeah, they figured it in. But I think that's a much.
Speaker 3: Better psychologically too. It probably tells the fan like, oh, I'm not paying for parking. They kind of are, but you don't realize that you are. So I'm sure that that kind of plays into it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that that's where they always get you though. Parking and sure, ride shares are more available now, but in some places they're very difficult to get to. Yeah, okay, you want to take rideshair, sure, just walk about a half mile to the right and that's the ride share area. So go ahead. Some places do that too to make it more difficult for you to get the ride shair Yeah yeah, yeah, go to lot h yeah to walk a mile leave now and by eleven forty five you'll be there. Hell, you'll be home by one. Now, that's a night on the town. Anybody can appreciate you believe in conspiracy theories. I'm not a guy that does that personally. I think if you do, you have too much time on your hands. Nonetheless, are we dealing with one that's next?
Speaker 6: Yes, Oh yeah, Ronnie, Happy birthday to my man Stevie Wonder, seventy five years young today, Stevie Wonder, the musical genius that is Stevie Wonder, Lobby Stevie.
Speaker 4: Happy birthday, Roddie Pete, Fred Rogan on a Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Come on, all right, I don't know if you believe in conspiracy theories. I'm not that guy. I've never been the guy that sits in the basement with the lights dimly lit, stared at the wall and tried to decide if something wasn't real, Did man walk on the moon? That kind of stuff. I'm not a conspiracy guy, never have been. And every time something in the world of sports happens that seems bit odd or unusual, there's an immediately there's an immediate suspicion of conspiracy. If something was rigged. If something wasn't right, Well, if you were ever going to say that, I would think given what happened in the NBA Draft lottery last night, you you might start considering it. The Dow's Mavericks had a one point eight chance to finish in the top spot. One point eight basically negligible, and somehow, some way the balls bounced in their favoryikes and they ended up with a number one pick. Now, if you look at things to the conspiracy eyeglass, if they well, they just got torched in that city. I mean they traded Luca. They got Anthony Davis. Lucas a top five player in the league. His jersey is top three in sales. And I got Anthony Davis, who's a hell of a player, but he's not Luca. The fans were upset, holding up signs to fire the general manager. The general manager really couldn't even show his face in the arena.
Speaker 4: It was so bad.
Speaker 1: People were losing faith in a team in a top ten market. Dallas is important to the league, So lo and behold the team with probably the worst chance to win the lottery and get Cooper Flag wins the lottery and they get the number one pick in the draft. All right, Rodney, Now when you hear that, do you think there was any funny business here?
Speaker 4: What do you say?
Speaker 2: The percentage was one eight, So you're saying there's a chance there you.
Speaker 4: Go, there you go? Uh, No, I don't, I don't. I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that there was a there's a conspiracy theory when you when you do those things and those lotteries, it can go any any kind of way. If you believe in that, then you got to believe that all the state lotteries are rigged and fixed. Although I do know someone that's wonted three times. No, you don't weird. Yeah, you know who won it three times? Who for a different amount is Hollywood Henderson used to play the linebacker for the calib for the Cowboys back. Yes, he won the lottery three times, and one of them was a big one. It's okay, bit we wanted and it's it was the quick picks. Yeah, it was one of those quick picks or state. I've figures which one it was that he won, But it was the state lottery that he won in Texas and uh three times, three times, three times in the span of like ten years. How much money did he win? One was a big one. One was like I think it was was a over one hundred million dollars something to stop it. Yeah, yeah, one was a big one. Yeah, one was a big one. The other one, we're not too shabby either. So I uh, no, I do I do not think so. I mean it sounds that way because they maybe the league feels bad for Dallas and losing Luca, and they need to reward the Mavericks because they, you know, they liked the market of Dallas and and it's a shame that they lost the superstars.
Speaker 4: So let's bring him another one.
Speaker 2: I get where people can see that and think, oh man, this is no way.
Speaker 4: Because even before.
Speaker 2: The before the lottery, you know, all the analysts were out there saying where where would be the best place for for Cooper Flag to go? Where would you like to see him go? What would be the best place, and the and the MAVs were and everybody's like, top three, that would be great, It'd be great. He goes to the MAVs, he can you know, work with him down there. And then another one with san Antonio, him and Wemby playing together was another one that people said it would be a good one for them. By the way, san Antonio has got the second pick, don't they Yeah, and this year right right, so you know they've had back to back and then they got the second pick this year. So one could argue that there's something happening with san Antonio them trying to make them good.
Speaker 4: I just I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it yet, you know, because if you're is that the place, like, if you're the NBA, is that the place where you.
Speaker 4: Want Cooper Flag to go?
Speaker 2: Who is obviously the consensus number one going to be a superstar?
Speaker 4: I believe in the league. He is.
Speaker 2: Uh, he's a highlight reel. Don't you want to see him in New York? Maybe Brooklyn? You certainly don't want to see him. Now if youd have went to the Wizards, that's how you know definitely was not rigged. Nobody wants to go to or Charlotte. But Charlotte you might understand because Carolina, you know North Carolina duke kid. You might understand Charlotte, but no, or you might understand New Orleans. You know him going to team up with Zion, two duke guys together. Well, Chicago. But I don't know, I don't know. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't think there was any conspiracy, but it was a bit convenient. Let's say that Lebron was on the Pat McAfee show about a month ago and he remembered that when he came out of high school, it was funny that he ended up with the Calves who had the first pick. Here's Lebron during the ball drop.
Speaker 7: You know, during the lottery drop, Cleveland got the number one pick. That's not I just don't think that was just keep Lebron home, you know what, Patrick going to the Knicks, you know, Darrin Rose to the understand Simon Gosham, you know, so you know it's I had to make sure that, you know, I had to do my part.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Hm hmm.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, when you think about it, I could see where one would suggest that they they may have wanted this to happen and wield it to happen and manifested it. Fred for Lebron, Akron kid Akron, Ohio's keep him in Cleveland and Derek Rose right Chicago kids staying in Chicago. You know, stranger thing, is it?
Speaker 4: Happened. I should say one thing.
Speaker 3: I will say, so the year that Lebron was taking first overall, the Cavaliers actually at the best odds of any team in the lottery to get a little kid, and the Sun picked right. So it was very much different than this situation. For Dallas, they had a twenty two and a half percent chance of winning the lottery, greater than anybody else because they have the worst record the year before.
Speaker 1: Kevin, do you think this thing is uh rigged?
Speaker 3: No, it's ridiculous. It's a convenient narrative for people to throw out there.
Speaker 1: But no, yeah, there's a there media member.
Speaker 3: They started doing this. I think over the last ten years, members of the media go back when the actual lottery is happening with the thousands of balls or however many they are for full transparency, so they can't it's not just a frozen envelope theory. Even back in the day with David Stern and Patrick Ewing, so there there are a number of people who are actually watching the lottery happen live in real time. One thing I think that would help greatly, and I still don't know why the NBA doesn't do it. If you don't want to do it live, you think it takes too much time. Fine, take record the actual lottery itself and the put it up on your YouTube page or something afterwards, so people can actually watch exactly how it happened. So that can really dispel any notions of any conspiracy. But there's actual people, media members who are live in person watching the lottery happen to make sure that none of these theories sprout up. And yet they still sprout up anyway.
Speaker 1: So that's a good point first. And Mark mcdeina was one of those people a couple of years.
Speaker 3: It was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: You're right, yeah, And they lock in the room and they you going there at one o'clock and you can't use your phone talk to anybody.
Speaker 3: They take your phones away.
Speaker 1: Right, so you're locked in a room and you can't come out.
Speaker 2: How many how many people are doing how many media members are allowed in there?
Speaker 4: Did they have in there? I don't know?
Speaker 2: And then and the purpose is what So there's nothing like like we're talking about right now, there's no funny business. It's it's like they got outside witnesses to see these balls being juggled and picked the right way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly why they do it. But I think Kevin, that's brilliant. The minute the TV broadcast is over, put it up on your YouTube page. The whole thing, however long takes, and it really doesn't take very long.
Speaker 4: Put it up there.
Speaker 1: Let everybody sit back and watch it when it's all done. That's a really smart idea. They should do that.
Speaker 3: And it's all fourteen media members, by the way, fourteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, who go back for a couple of times and like, obviously, you know, Wemby was consensus obviously number one. Uh, you know, Cooper flag will be this year, you know, going back to the Patrick Ewing, I mean, Jordan wasn't even the first pick. It was Elijah one was right, right, yep, But that the the consistent number one pick went to a place that was oh that was a little shady that that couldn't have happened naturally. Can you remember more or any other than you know, you know, everybody said Wemby. It would be a perfect matchup with Popovich right in San Antonio because he's had Tim Dunk and he said David Robinson, he knows how to handle the bigs and he's a great coach and should be there. But that didn't throw off conspiracy theories and say, oh they rigged that. I'm trying to think back, was Zion, right? Zion was a consensus number one.
Speaker 4: He was definitely Yeah, him going to New Orleans? Was that like some conspiracy you think?
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean the only way I think I can think of the most popular one as the Patrick Ewing and that was all the way back in the eighties. Since then, I can't really think of it.
Speaker 4: In New York. Yeah, to the Knicks, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's the most popular one that people try to throw out there. That was the frozen envelope theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we want we want Patrick Ewing and the big Apple in the big city and and bring back the Knicks.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just again, I don't buy the conspiracy, but I'll say this, awfully lucky for the Mavericks. I don't buy the conspiracy, but we lucky. Who knew? Who would I thunk that? At one o'clock, Jerry Harriston Junior will join the show. You know, we talked about it what earlier in the week, or yeah, we talked about it yesterday. Okay, what really happened when the Dodgers celebrated in the pool in Arizona. What really happened there? Well, we're going to ask Jerry that question, and two o'clock we'll get into the NBA with Assualty a Adam Auslin.
Speaker 2: Today's Afternoon Delight is Hang It On by Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani. This song appears on Shelton's new album, entitled A Recreational Use Only, which dropped last week. We're talking about the creative process when making a song with his wife. Shelton said, we lived together, so we walk around the house singing these songs all the time, and we have months to talk about. Hey, maybe you jump on that part, et cetera. By the time we get to the studio, we're normally really prepared. Again, Today's Afternoon Delight is Hanging On by Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani.
Speaker 4: All right, and now.
Speaker 1: From the court to the court room with Jacob and Ronnie. Okay, now are weekly chat with a good friend Jacob and Ronnie and Jacob, how are you today?
Speaker 5: Good afternoon?
Speaker 1: How are you guys doing well?
Speaker 4: Jacob doing well? Doing all right?
Speaker 1: I have a question off Tom. I've never asked you this before, but I was thinking about it in the break. What is the weirdest case that you have ever been involved in?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I've had a few, I uh to pop in my mind. One weird case is that I had had a young lady who reached out to us and said that she had suffered a slip and fall at Cheesecake Factory. And that is not so odd, even though Cheesecake Factory their floors are always very slippery. When we asked her what kind of shoes she was wearing, she said she was wearing these heels, and there was those very thick, you know, front, very platform heels, and Cheescake Factory denied the claim, saying that no, she never fell here. So we have to find a witness, and the witness was the individual that she was out to dinner with. And when we wanted to get the person she was out to dinner with to testify, he wouldn't testify. And it took us about a year and a half to two years to find out that not only were they not husband and wife, but the gentleman was having an affair with her. For that reason, he could not testify, and it became a it went from a slip and fall case to you know, us having to try to figure out what's the best route to go forward, you know, not to unfortunately ruin people's lives. And you know, it ended up well at the end of the day because I think she used whatever type of method in order to make sure that he does end up testifying and writing and he never had to come to a deposition. But that was a very weird one. And I have another one. You want to hear another one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but first did those two wind up together?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 5: Not even close? But he definitely, he definitely ended up making sure that she got paid and she got paid really really well, so you know that that's fixed in my mind. And another one was, unfortunately, you know, a lady who had claimed that her you know, breast implants had popped during a you know, an auto accident, and I didn't know much about you know, uh implants and plastic surgery and all of those things, and uh, you know, we have to learn a lot about that and through the process got a real understanding about why she got her implants and having to try to get the plastic surgeon who did the implants to testify, And you know, I have a lot of respect for doctors, but sometimes, you know, they're a little bit difficult to deal with, especially in the plastic surgery part of the world. So there was a lot of psychology and psychiatry we have to do in order to be able to, you know, get that particular plastic surgeon, you know, to testify for us, because he was a very well known plastic surgeon who was on TV at that time, and you know, I don't know if he necessarily wanted to be involved in such a case. So I deal with weird cases all the time, but those two, you know, stand out in my mind just because of the fact that you have to deal with a lot of outside forces in order to prove our case, and that's not always easy when they don't have a vested interests in the case. But there's such an integral part of your case.
Speaker 1: Did the plastic surgeon testify.
Speaker 5: He finally did. Yes, he finally did after you know, he found out that he can have permission in order to use that as part of his marketing, and he ended up using it as part of his marketing. So of course, you know, it was basically a give and take but it was just just crazy because I mean, you know, you hear that professionals, even sometimes attorneys or doctors, they have this God complex and it's very difficult to deal with people who you know, put themselves in front of their client their patients. And you know, I remember that very clearly because I had to take the guy out to lunch at these three different times and you know, have him understand why this was so important for this lady who had spent every penny of her savings for you know, a couple of years in order to get all of these procedures at his office. And the least he could do right now is just give us an expert opinion on how you know such an accident could have caused this. And you know, obviously, being who he was, his testimony would have been very key because of his credibility was very high. So it ended up it ended up well. But again, you know, we have to go through a lot of you know, work, even for the most basic aspects of cases that you never think, you know, would require the type of effort that we put in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, uh interesting. I'm sure if we give you time, you come up with ten other cases that are probably strange and weird to most people.
Speaker 4: Another thing that's not strange, Jacob.
Speaker 2: We talked about this yesterday is that Bill Plashki wrote that in order for the Lakers to be contenders going forward, they're going to have to trade, as painful as it may be, trade Austin Reeves.
Speaker 4: You what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: And would you trade Austin Reeves to get a quality big in here?
Speaker 4: He was part of the package.
Speaker 5: So that's crazy because I think this con you know, this concept of Austin Reeves being traded has caught so much, you know, it's gotten a lot of speed in the past couple of days, and I'm reading about it all over the place, and I think one of the things that I read was the fact that, you know, the Lakers can only pay him twenty million, but if he opts out, he can go into the open market and get upwards of forty million. So I think if if the Lakers can't come up with a way to keep him, then obviously you don't want to lose him in the open market for nothing. I'm not one that is looking at Austin's playoff performance as a way to evaluate him. I think he's been great for the Lakers. I think he's been great for the team. Obviously the playoffs were not you know, was not great for him. But it's a little difficult for me because it just depends what type of the big you're getting back for him, because I do believe you're losing a lot of firepower and scoring by, you know, by losing him. And I think the big that Luca needs is somebody who can play well off of, you know, the dunk position on the court. And I don't necessarily think that you have to get a superstar to do that. I think you just got to get a young, active, you know, center or two that can do the work because you know, Luca is great, but he has to have the ball, and you know, it just depends on who you bring on board. So long answer, I think it all depends on who. You know, you would need to trade Austin for Jacob.
Speaker 1: Our listeners love and you offer serious advice about the law and how about this, what are your rights if you're involved in an accident but you're a passenger?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know we've talked about passengers and used to talk a lot more about them, you know, in the past, because a lot of people who were passengers in an uber would get injured, and most of the time they would just sit and stay in the car while the uber driver the lyft driver would get out exchange information with the other party, and usually they would be the one that does. You know, don't have too much information. But as a passenger, you're always fault free and you have the highest amount of right, and whether that means you recover from the insurance company of the vehicle you're in if the driver of your car was at fault, or if you're recovering from the opposite party because the other party was at fault. But one of the things that we have to remember is that if you're even a passenger in a vehicle with a friend, you can recover. But if you're a passenger in a vehicle maybe with your own relative, maybe your father's driving, your mother's driving, and they're at fault, you're not able to recover from that passenger being a passenger from that vehicle if you live in the same household, so you know, someone's kid or someone's wife cannot sue their own husband or recover from their own husband when they're a passenger. But as a passenger and the majority of the other situations, you have the highest amount of protection and no matter who's that fault, you can make a recovery. That's why as passengers, I always encourage our listeners to be proactive, take action. Don't just sit there. Whatever information is being exchanged between your driver and the other party, ask for a copy of it. Take a picture of both vehicles, because sometimes you're the one who gets stuck in the middle. If your driver says it's the other person's fault and the other person says it's your driver's fault, the one thing you have going for you that is not your fault, and you will make a recovery. Whether it's fifty percent from the other side and fifty percent from the vehicle you were in, one hundred percent one side and the other. No matter what happens, you stand to make a recovery. And that's the reason that you need to make sure that you are active, very active and aggressive in terms of protecting your rights.
Speaker 1: The passenger outstanding, good advice, Jacob, and we appreciate you checking in again.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys. Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back top of the hour, Jerry Hairston Junior joined us. We'll talk some Dodgers. We'll find out what happened in the pool in Arizona. At least i'll ask the question. Rokie Sazaki's velocity is down. We'll get into that as well.