Speaker 1: See I listen. I've done enough research in the last couple of days to know you already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm awesome, because I'm awesome. But if I suck, I'll blame it on the forest fire around my house right now.
Speaker 1: How's that for stress? Does that stress you out?
Speaker 2: Like you're here, we're not really in the timber, but it's a four thousand acre fire and officially yesterday I saw it over my neighbor's barn and I was like, oh, I could see it now.
Speaker 1: And you've lived out on your own place for.
Speaker 2: How long I've born and raised the Montana right or we just moved back to Montana about a year ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is like the first real exposure with your own place.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And we have a bar lodge up there that me and Billy Gibbons from ZZ Yeah, so that's fun. He loves it up there too.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we've started, by the way, so we'll just go with it from here. So I had this list of famous Montanans, okay, and you can give me your input, like if you're like I got nothing on them, or you can say, oh, I remember when I first saw them. Maybe an influence they had on you. We'll just go from there, right, and I'm going to try and do an easy one here, an easy one here. Jeff Ammett a pearl jam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just saw him last week. Yeah, yeah, probably. They played the Grizzly Stadium in Missoula, So I went out there and saw it.
Speaker 1: And when you go when you do that, do you go? Hey, I'd like to speak to Jeff, like how do you get that connection?
Speaker 2: I don't know him personally, but I went to the show with some radio guys up there in Missoula and it was a rad show, And yeah.
Speaker 1: What about Evil?
Speaker 2: Knieval Montana grew up with the Knievals, so I do personally know. I knew Evil. I knew Robbie. The Evil's granddaughter was my nanny for a while.
Speaker 1: So and was there was it like a drug for them? They're like, hey, come do this crazy thing. We want to have you jump over boxes or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I never jumped with them. But that's inherently my hometown. Everyone's a psychopath, so my level of oh I'm not a stunt man, everyone in this room would be like, we've seen you do the most ridiculous thing on motorcycles. Ever, and that's just kind of the beat Montana way, right. But yeah, I came up performing at Evil canievl days. My mom dated Evil briefly. His name is Bob Canevel created him briefly in high school. My cousin was engaged to Robbie. It's very Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: The small town kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I might be related.
Speaker 1: Hey you never know, right, Have you been injured before on your bike?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I've tore my a cl I had my ankle bone come out of my ankle and go into my boot on my motorcycle. Crash went through windshield of but buick.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, so you weren't jumping or anything. That was just riding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was just ripping through. But yeah, I got plowed into by an old lady. Wow.
Speaker 1: Do you still ride?
Speaker 2: I got a motorcycle, but honestly, I don't enjoy it like I used to because there's that constant thought of looking behind my shoulder when right when you get impacted that sure? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure? So how about this one? Phil Jackson, NBA coach player, Never okay, because you know, sometimes you grow up and you're like, oh, this person's from here, and you're like, oh, really didn't know that, But is he a coach? He said, yeah, Chicago.
Speaker 2: Bulls Lakers from Montana.
Speaker 1: Or he lives apparently from Montana.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, no idea, I know Dana Carvey's from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dana, Okay, go ahead, Dana Carvey. Get did he play a part in you? Maybe at one point? Want to be a Canadian.
Speaker 2: Didn't realize he was from Montana until like a year ago. I was like, I love Data Carvey.
Speaker 1: Right, It's funny how those things playing like You're like, okay, sure, yeah, it makes sense. Always thought he's Canadian to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, until I read that Montana and accents are very similar to Canadians, and I have a Canadian right over there. Would you agree, Tom? Canadian? Tom? Your mom sounds like me.
Speaker 1: It feels like an insult.
Speaker 2: Keep my mom's name. Yeah, I attracted to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Last one, Dan Mortenson okay, Rodeo Hall of Famer saddle Buck saddle Rider. Okay. See this is the thing. When people come up with names from like where you're from, you go, oh, okay, sure it sounds good that so none of those people have played an influence. What what do you think's made an influence for you in music because you have a really storied career in music that you've had to battle through. So what do you think makes it for you?
Speaker 2: I went and found most of my heroes in about three weeks ago. I checked my final box on Mount Rushmore and I got to sing Rooster with Jerry Cantrell. Oh okay, And I got off stage and I was like, now what it was like the last big moment you know of you know, I got to jam with Dave Grohl, I've got to play La Graine at Billy Gibbons and this was getting to sing Rooster with Cantrell. And I was like, my wife's like, I'm sure you'll make up some other hero Yeah, So what do you go? People were in my bedroom on my freaking posters in my trailer house.
Speaker 1: Where do you go from me? How do you find? Like what's the motivation?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's plenty of motivation. I want to do my own music, but that was like the last box to get checked of, like things I want to do with heroes that are still alive. Yeah, you know, not to say that. If Metallica wanted me a jam with I'm sure, But I mean grunge was like here, you know in posters in my bedroom and then zz Top as well. I have very early childhood memories of them. So I found them all, I ran them all down. So yeah, now I guess I just go to the University of Phoenix, get a janitorial degree and move on.
Speaker 1: That's honorable. Yeah, right, that's hard work. I saw guy in America's got talent, that's a janitor and he's singing. He's doing he seems to be doing.
Speaker 2: Okay. Custodial engineers, sir.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, what about the best one of those four? What's that you have to throw one away? Can't you have to forget it? Ever happened? What's the one you get rid of?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I don't know. I can't answer that.
Speaker 1: Because they're all pretty spectacular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe when Billy Gibbons made me sing a Nancy Sinatra song with him and he gave me four.
Speaker 1: Seconds notice awesome. Yeah, so you were just playing with him and he was like, hey, you're going to sing this, and he changed the words.
Speaker 2: He's like, you're gonna sing. These boots are made for chuffling, And I'm like what, Yeah, these boots are made for chuffling. And I sat there and was like, these boots are made for shuffling, and that's just what they'll do. And he had a cheat sheet. He wrote, there's a live audience. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: That is amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, Billy's the goofiest, sweetest guy you ever meet.
Speaker 1: How did you come about meeting him? How'd you guys connect?
Speaker 2: I had a verse in a chorus of a song called this Beard came here to party, and a friend of a friend got it to him and he heard it and he drove to nash was coming through Nashville on his bus, stopped in Nashville, said I want to meet this guy, this beard guy, and so we wrote the song, shook his hand, he left, thought I'd never see him again. That night, he goes to dinner, some guy walks up. Guy's name is Doug Frasier. So it's, oh my god, it's easy, top big fan, blah blah blah, and I get an autograph. Sure, no problem. What do you do, Doug? Well? I find songs for sports teams, and right now I'm stomped because the Boston Red Sox are growing their beards out and I need a facial hair song, and Billy literally opens his suit jacket and hands him the mixtape from that day. Forty eight hours later, I don't watch sports because I grew up with no television. My favorite sports are snowmobilion SULD And forty eight hours later, I'm watching my first Major League Baseball game, hearing my song blasting in the background, and then they won the World Series, and next thing I know, I'm at Fenway Park painting home plate, singing the national anthem. It was a bizarre sequence of events, but it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: You lay your head on your pillow that night, do you even sleep because you're replaying all the things that happened. You're like, what just happened so fast?
Speaker 2: It was like a forty eight hours seventy two hours later, it's on national television. Then they whatever clinched the playoffs, go to the World Series. Then it's in USA today, and I'm like, how did this happen so fast? And then next thing I know, I want a flight to Boston and I'm like, this is wild.
Speaker 1: That is That's a fantastic story. Yeah, and you already named four pretty amazing things that you've done with your career. And then that's even if you have that story, that's a pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Story, right, right, that was pretty wild.
Speaker 1: So how do you level all that? How do you keep all that you know compartmentalized and not like, hey, I've painted home, played it fin way par I mean, how do you keep all that stuff in check?
Speaker 2: Well, when you grow up in a single wide trailer and you have to go to the bathroom and an outthouse out back, it's a it's a nice character building, humbling experience in young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my grandparents try to stay out of the trailer. My grandparents had an out house. I think that's your everybody's. You should at some point have to go to the bathroom, walk out and see your business float by you to go, yeah, this is not awesome.
Speaker 2: Or if it goes in a dirt hole and it happens to be forty five below zero, that's not awesome.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you contemplate a lot and learn a lot of things in an outhouse.
Speaker 2: I tell people that every night on stage, I said, I you know a lot of people asked, did you grow up grow going green saving the earth? Because they know I grew up without electricity, And I'm like, no, it's a character building exercise called poverty. You should try it one time.
Speaker 1: Right, because you have kids?
Speaker 2: Right? Four?
Speaker 1: Four? How do you because you don't have an outhouse?
Speaker 2: No? No, we beat them a lot though.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, listen, you don't tell them twice, right, yeah, all right, you're gonna play a song for us? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you?
Speaker 1: What are you gonna play for us?
Speaker 2: Let's start with devil you know, and thank you guys for spending this song. This was the iHeart on the Verge song.
Speaker 1: So tell me, tell me about the song, tell me what it means to you, Tell me about writing it.
Speaker 2: I wrote it in Nashville and it was one of those deals where I wrote it, went to my producer's place. I was like, hey, check out what I wrote today. And him and I were going to write a new song. And if you know anything about the music business, producers don't like cutting songs they didn't write right. Everybody wants as many pieces as they can get. And he stopped everything he was doing, closed the session he had opened for the song we were gonna finish, and he's like, that's a hit song. And he started micing me up, and I'm like okay, so we record it. The storm rolled in, We record the storm. The storm's still on the master track and the intro of the song and away. I moved to Montana because I thought I was gonna get dropped on my record label. So that was kind of my middle finger. See you, guys, I'm going back to the woods song. And the same day we closed on Me and Billy's Bar in Montana was August thirtieth, twenty twenty three. That's the same day that my first single after being in Nashville seventeen years when it's a national radio and became my heart on the verge and it was the top five Billboard hit. So after seventeen years of swinging the bat missing, we finally connected.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's an amazing story. All right, let's hear it?
Speaker 2: All right? Is this thing Rayan over here? That's mute it. Here we go, guys, double you know Count roff pl.
Speaker 3: It's a devil you know, and the devil you don't.
Speaker 2: Once in your head, once in your song.
Speaker 4: On my life, it's been the same damn thing, still chasing something I can't say.
Speaker 2: It's a devil you numb and a devil you dun't.
Speaker 4: I'm going out on my head, living in my life on the ledge.
Speaker 1: Kill your od you seventy five sounds amazing. Thanks awesome man, Thank you sounds great in here. Uh tell me about being an actor.
Speaker 2: Oh no, being a mediocre actor?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, you can.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 1: You can hike a mile of the Appalation trail and say you're you hike the Appalation Trail. So you've been in a couple of movies, right, four four? Okay?
Speaker 2: And my actor let's started with this. My actor friends hate me because they practice train have acting coaches, and they're like, why do you always get the calls? I'm like, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: So I know you like one of the scenes, you were like a barkeeper in a movie, Yes.
Speaker 2: With Thomas Jane And who's the guy from Sam Worthington, Yes, Heather Graham machine gun Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that was my first one where a buddy of mine is a Western historian. I love Western history. I love Western movies, the Old West. That's why I moved and bought that eighteen ninety six lodge. And uh so he lied to get me on that movie set and I had like two lines. But do you remember Thomas Jane. He was the punisher on The Marblesaries. He's in Boogie Nights, The Mists. He's Stephen King's favorite actor. When I was drinking, I drank a lot on that set and him and I got canned and we started a wrestling match and I rolled him down a snowy hill wearing my movie outfit because designers made.
Speaker 1: Not real clothes. By the way, it's just enough to be in a movie, right, not high quality.
Speaker 2: The problem was he showed up at my little cabin the next day with a fat lip, a cut above his eyebrow, and he's in a movie set where he has to look the same every day. And I was waking up with the worst anxiety in my life is I hear action, boom boom. They're shooting the movie outside of my cabin. It's very rare that you stay on the movie set in an eighteen hundreds town and I'm like, oh my god, my ticket, Hollywood. It was real. It was real. Brief I beat up Thomas Jane, the punisher. It wasn't fighting my anger. It was laughing.
Speaker 1: But the producers.
Speaker 2: Didn't think it was funny because we were sending it hard anyway. He knocks on my door. Open the door and there he is with the cut and the fat lip, and I'm like, oh no, he has a pipe and he goes pal, I tell you what, You're one of the realist dudes I've ever met. I'll never do a film without you again. And I was like, huh. And then I told my wife that, and she's like, God, why do people have to encourage this behavior? So sure's the day is long. I get a call about three months later from an Australian director and he said, hey, I got a film we're doing with Richard Dreyfuss and Thomas Jane and a couple other people. Isaiah Mustafa, he was the x NFL player, that was the old spice guy. He set out of the shower a half horse, half man, and I had a scene with him and we sent it in the scene and I died in that film. So far, I've died in a lot of films, and the last one I did, I didn't die, and I was bummed. I was like, oh, I just busted my slump and I was gonna blow my head off or cut my throat, come on, and so anyway, so we did that film and him and I became buddies. And then I get a call from that director again right when I moved to Montana. This is the wildest one. He goes, hey, hey, I've got this role for an outlaw named Red Benton. He's got a red beard. You're perfect. You don't have to screen test, you don't have to do nothing. Just show up. You're the perfect guy. Okay, I'm off. I show up. Hey, who's my scene with Samuel L. Jackson? And I'm like sure, wow. So there I am in the Old West now with Samuel L. Jackson. I'm like, do I beat him up? Right? And so me? I trained and I told the guys too. I'm like, I want to do my own stunts. And this British stunt guy that does all the Double seven movies, he's like, oh, an actor that wants to do his own stunts. I'm like, I'm actually a musician. And he goes ooh, a musician that wants to be an actor that wants to do his own stunts. And then we started sparring on the wrestling mat and he's like, Okay, I get it, You're good at this. I'm like, I'm from but I grew up fist fighting and wrestling and doing crazy stuff, you know, so he's like he loved it. So we worked out these scenes all day at Pitchfork. Stab followed by a right hook, pistol comes out, the left fire, miss go down, roll through the pig mud and there's actual pigs in this guy and the poor kid that I was on top of, I got a little aggressive and he had his head and some pig pe and he was not very stoked about it. But then Sam came out and the film doesn't come out yet, but Sam does some really bad, mean stuff to me, and he pulled my hair and that was the best moment ever because he said, Hey, Tim, how hard you wanting to pull your hair? And I said, mister Jackson, as hard as you want. I've been waiting for you to kill me my whole life. And he busted out laughing, and then he did give us an MF. Or I was hoping he'd dropped the MF. He said the F word more in film than any other actor in history. And when he went to do what he was gonna do, I'm not gonna give it all away, even though I did, he goes, we can't even see this mfor's throat with that MF and beard and I'm like, yes, thank you God. And so I was like, I'll present my neck this way, mister Jackson, and he goes, Okay, to.
Speaker 1: Man, you have some fantastic stories.
Speaker 2: And then I was just in Butte back in Montana at the bar, and I get a call from one of the Polish brothers and they did Astronaut Farmer and some other stuff, and they said, Hey, we got this role for Heath the Hessian. You're gonna show up, and we got a transam. You're gonna play guitar, and I just got the trailer. I'm like, all over the trailer playing guitar. Look like a total tool. I'm wearing glasses in a church. But it's funny because the church is like where my mother I think was baptized. And it's a very artsy la film and there's a bunch of cross dressers in it, and I'm like, my mom's gonna kill me in the church with crossdressing. Yeah, which we became good buddies. We're sitting in the backstage. My dude, that skirt kills.
Speaker 1: That's not on my Bengo card of things. I thought you would say today, right, that guy said he looked great in that.
Speaker 2: Skirty Yeah, they're cool guys. And I ended up playing piano in the film, which I don't play piano, but I learned a song quickly, just the notes, and then play guitar in it, and then had a sick burnout scene in the transam and that film was called there there. So I got two movies coming out next year.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's amazing. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, small roles, but they just keep calling, you know.
Speaker 1: Now, they got to start somewhere right.
Speaker 2: I think I'm officially like a sag after a union member. I don't know what it means, but I got a card. You want to see it, Paul or what? No?
Speaker 1: I believe you? Yeah, you don't have to show me to prove it. I'll go ahead and take your word for you seem like an honorable man.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then that only makes sense to ask this question. Is the follow up based off Where You Live? Is Yellowstone is filmed up in that neck of the woods, a pretty big show. Have you tried to get on that show?
Speaker 2: I have. I tried to get on nineteen twenty three, sure, but they wanted me to shave my beard.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a no go. It's a hard no for you not shaving the beard and what like, because you don't want it to grow back, or it took so long to get it that beautiful I have.
Speaker 2: There's like a butthole here somewhere under there. It's like I want to see IM not good. I shaved my beard one time when I was like twenty three and cried for six months. So my wife's like, for our mental health, like the family's mental health, Please don't.
Speaker 1: What is your Do you have a trick for your beard? Do you have like a product?
Speaker 2: Do you like to use woul?
Speaker 1: Do you have anything special?
Speaker 2: Some oil? Okay, well I just trimmed it and they took every time I trim it, they take too much off. And I realized I'm never going to catch Billy Gibbons, Like no, that's he's an oddity, right. Yeah, I'm like, I'm taking by it and down. I'm just trying to catch him and I can't even I just grow hair in strange places and my beard doesn't grow any further.
Speaker 1: So you're an entrepreneur, so I can't wait for the tim Montana beard oil to come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might should add that to the menu. Right.
Speaker 1: I have a friend that started a beard oil company and he got out of it because he kept having certain people of character want him to come and do demonstrations privately.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, So potentially just a word of caution there, right, All right, Oklahoma, you're now stranger to prior. You've played there before with Born and Raised, haven't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah? And that's my daughter was just asking me last night. She's like, have you met Zach Bryan? And I'm like, yeah, he hung out on the bus at Born and Raised. Because I have Charlie Sheen's old Pravo bus. It's a nineteen ninety nine PRAVOXL. He had like no next to no miles on it and it was in storage.
Speaker 1: So Charlie's you're being passive like you were not hitting that story correctly because you don't just have his bus. You're friends with him, yes, yeah, we go by. You are tight with him, yes, because of the video you did toget.
Speaker 2: He directed my mostly Stone video. We hit it off, became really good friends and he actually helps me with some of this acting stuff. I'll call him stressing out and he's like, bro, chill out, just do it. And I'm like, but what do I do? How do I say? The is that the year thou? He's like, dude, leave me alone. But uh yeah. So he called me about his bus and this was like ground zero party bus for every episode of Two and a half Men. And he had it in a warehouse and he's like, hey, I want to sell it, and I'm like, I can't afford it. And then he threw a price in me. He said, hey, pay the shop bill, you can have it. You're gonna get more use out of it than me. So I bought this bus. Then I went and got my CDL, went to truck driver school, did the whole CDL passenger and you amazing.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think, who's the most famous person you have on your phone? Charlie Sheen pretty big, right, Bill Gimm's pretty big?
Speaker 2: Oh, Dave girl, I don't know. I've got a lot of them. How do you measure fame?
Speaker 1: Ah by people's pace, I guess.
Speaker 2: Josh Brolin text me a lot, Danos.
Speaker 1: Josh Brolin texts you a lot. Also didn't have that on my car.
Speaker 2: I have a group text with Robert Patrick from Terminator to the cop and Josh Brolin and we text each other fun little things.
Speaker 1: Huh what kind of fun little things? The pictures?
Speaker 2: No, well, funny stuff. There's so I took Terminator to a cabin I used to hang out with you used to hang out at when I was a teenager. And it's a funny story I'm not going.
Speaker 1: To say on the air, but not an on air story.
Speaker 2: Got it. When you live in a single white trailer and you want to get away from your parents and you're in puberty, you hike to a cabin in the woods. So Roger that I took him there, and then him and Josh Brolin started a big thing, and they always talk about the cabin. So, yeah, is that not normal for city kids to find an abandoned shadow?
Speaker 1: We just go with the gravel road, but just go love yourself. Yeah, yeah, we could. We could tell. I mean, you don't need to go to a cabin to do that. Well, a single one Josh Blin knows about.
Speaker 2: These walls are pay per bin.
Speaker 1: We could talk to you for I know some other stories about you that I wanted to ask, but we're running out of time. But I wanted to give you a chance to play another song. If you'd like and talk about veterans because I know that that's an important part of all this for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, absolutely. So we have the American Thread charity shoot that I started four or five years ago, and I think in four years we raised one point one million dollars. And this started with me designing a guitar with Gibson that we auctioned off thinking would raise thirty grand for the Chris Kyle Foundation. It raised one hundred and thirty grand, and so we gave that check and Chris Kyle's dad said, you just changed to life and I really was like wow, like ford by that, and I was like, I want to do more. And a lot of these charity companies reach out to me to play a concert for vets and I'm always like, I'm not going to do it unless you let me see your books. And they're like what, I'm like, how much profit are you taking? And those things are important because some of these groups they advertise this stuff and they're taking eighty percent, don't own twenty And I'm like, I'm not going to give you my time if you're paying yourself five hundred gred year, not going to do it. So I got my own group together, all volunteer base. The only guy that charges us is the outhouse guy, because nobody holds poop for free.
Speaker 1: It's good life motto.
Speaker 2: I was like, fair enough, the outhouse man gets paid. But yeah, we've raised one point one million dollars and found groups that we can check their books make sure that they're you know, and people have to make a little bit of money to operate. We totally get that right. Yeah, you keep ten to twenty percent to pay your people to go out raise more money for vets. That's great, but that's not what we do. We do it all volunteer base. Give him a check. And when we hit a million dollars, that was a crazy moment and supporters collective souls come out. Charlie Sheen's come out, Aaron Lewis has come out. I mean, who else is? I saw Lee Greenwood having a conversation with Charlie Sheen at my event and I was like, that's not something you see every day, folks.
Speaker 1: Is it true that you and you had Dave girl do barbecue for someone, a vet's family after he passed away?
Speaker 2: We did, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And you played in this bat you guys did a concert in his backyard first family at a funeral on a July.
Speaker 2: I did that, but not with Dave. It was with Dave's barbecue buddy, okay, Billy Terrell. So Billy Terrell taught Dave girl how a barbecue and a helicopter pilot. We went to Fort Campbell about a year ago and I brought my kids and we were able to call in strikes with helicopters. My sons were and the helicopters are there, the one sixtieth Night Stalkers. They're the most elite helicopter pilots in the US military. So they're calling in bomb strikes and we meet these guys. Shane Barnes and his daughters were there, very little girls, and we get a call. I see it on the news like three months later, helicopter crews killed in the Mediterranean. It was Shane and his team, the guys that we were just with, and so that one hit hard. And then the photo that went on the internet is him and his two daughters and his wife and my little boys in the background on the helicopter. So I had this deep connection with it. And then I get a Facebook from his wife, Samantha Hey, we probably can't afford you, but what would you charge to play the fourth of July in honor of Shane for a small crowd in a backyard. And I was like, OK, I'll see you on the fourth of July. I had Fourth of July plans with my family because I've been touring so much. But I'm like, sorry, guys, I have to go do this. So drove from Montana with all the equipment picked up. The guys in Nashville drove up, and then Billy Terrell, who's Dave Girl's buddy, bought a barbecue truck up and there was maybe what twenty twenty five people there. Guys. It was very small, but I was burned out and tired when I got there because it's about a thirty hour drive. Me and my buddy team drove it. When I got there, his dad grabbed me and gave me the biggest bear hug and just lost it and started bawling. And he's like, your music reminds me of him. And he said right before he died, he would just call and be like, hey, have you heard this Tim Montana song? Have you heard this Tim Montana song? And the day he died, he was wearing a big sky in Montana hat and apparently that day I spent with him at Fort Campbell, he just was in so he was emotional and it was special and his dad watching him rock out to my lyrics and then collapse on a chair in tears was something that was just burning my brain forever.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that stuff means a lot to me. And you get in a Facebook message like that, I don't know who on planet Earth would say no or you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, not go. That's the reason. I mean that moment right there is the reason you got into all this.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a phenomenal story. Yeah, and you've been telling some pretty great stories, but that one is that's really special.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well listen, we're glad you came by. You got one more song for us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, after I start crying, stop crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us about this song. Tell us where it came like, what it means to you, where it came from?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is savage. It just went top ten on Media Base and Billboard. Thanks for spinning it. And this is the new record. This is the title track. So a lot of the songs on here have a theme of the apocalypse. I mean, look around, we look out the windows by crap. But I just thought it was interesting. I wrote this with a guy named Nathan Barlow who had a band called Luna Halo, who recently started to blow up because Queen Swift covered one of his songs. So they're doing a new record. But his other job is he's Keith Keith Urban's lead guitar player, and he's got neck dads and stuff like that. He's really cool. It's hard to find the rocker guys to write with in Nashville, but he's won. And so we just started laying this track down and just screaming everything is savage. And then when it came time to name the record, we went and did all the photography in the snow. It was like below zero. It was nasty, and I'm like, dude, this photo shoot savage and I was like, you know what, the record needs to be named savage.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we kind of have a theme of the apocalypse, and that's maybe when I moved back to Montana, you know, have a fighting chance. Well, the aliens are coming from outer space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would never go there. Why would they go to Montana? They don't like beautiful places.
Speaker 2: We're here for evil can evel.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go to Montana and savage.
Speaker 2: Tom. Are you ready, bud? We got Canadian Tom here, folks.
Speaker 1: How about it for Canadian to introduce everybody. I want to make sure we give everybody a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lead guitar player. He's my most senior member of the band. How many years you've been in this bud? Six years? And he worked for me for about two years. He's from Nelson, British Columbia's like middle of nowhere, right and the way the crow flies us not far from where I was born. But we all know that invisible line makes people drive in the fast line with their turn signal on ten miles under the speed limit. We love our Canadians. But also Tom didn't tell me that he won the fur Trapper of the Year award until he was in the band for two years. When he was sixteen, he won the North American Fur Trapper of the Year award because he's a mountain man as well from Canada.
Speaker 1: And that's not a joke, Like, that's not a slang dictionary.
Speaker 2: And I always tell Tom, I'm like, if you're interviewing a guy named Tim Montana, from Montana that grew up in the mountains. You might want to lead with that. You're the most fur trapping man in Canada.
Speaker 3: I tried to tell him when I auditioned, but I was too nervous.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I get it. Who else you got?
Speaker 2: Kyle law here from Statesboro, Georgia. He uh his claim to fame on the Bush. We just wrapped the tour with Bush and Jerry Cantrell and Candlebox. He would just sometimes strip to his underwear on stage and not tell me, and they weren't like cute underwear. They were like old man underwear with like a pea stain. And my wife called me and she's like, you know, okay, it's funny to go almost naked, but can he like get some cool underwear. And the great thing was Gavin Rosdale came out to watch one show and comment on the band. And that was the one show and he came up and he goes the way your drama thrusted the symbols because he likes to thrust his symbols at the end, like bury him in there, and it's.
Speaker 1: A weird way to hit him, but sure, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then we always have to remind him like, hey, dude, you know that's on the jumbo tron, right, but people go nuts they love it? Yeah, God, God forbid. We bring a little personality back to rock.
Speaker 1: Amen. Right, no correlation, I understand, Yeah, went on.
Speaker 2: It was a little cold.
Speaker 1: Out, Yes it was, Yes, it was sir.
Speaker 2: Whose underwear were those? I think were yours? And then on the base guitar the newest member of the band. This guy is really interesting. He left the United States when he was six months old to go to France, and he graduated high school in France, graduated college in France. And I thought he was a military brat. No, he's a Disney brat. His dad does music for Disney. And then he mentions a couple of weeks in the band that his dad's a songwriter. I'm like, did he write anything I might know? And he goes, yeah, my dad wrote a song called Cotton Eye Joe. And I was like, okay, Jackson, So jack say something in French? Have you ever sang any of Cotton Eye Joe in French? French? Never try it real quick, just just the way did you come from? My age?
Speaker 1: I go, you gotta perfect that in sound check and make him do that in between songs when you're changing guitars. That is, that's phenomenal. I've got quite an eclectic group, right, You've fit in perfectly with us because we go all over the place, we can rarely stay on topic. But so you got your final song for us Savages, Savage Yes, and Rocklahoma. We can't wait to see you on the stage.
Speaker 2: Rokolahoma Ready, Savage, counter off, bud.
Speaker 4: Beautiful down my last cigarette, let us steal, ain't hit me.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm just scared to death trying to drive right best signs.
Speaker 2: Him ten kmod.
Speaker 1: That was phenomenal. Man, you guys are great. Thank you so much for hanging out with us and coming in early just to chat with us, and and hope you Oklahoma and good luck tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for grabbing me, thank you for supporting the single. Hell yeah, get my mam a bigger double waddles. Let's go