Speaker 1: Happy hump Day, Kentucky, and I welcome in. It is Kentucky and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty w h aes Nick Coffee with you, and let's get a roll call here. Scott Fitzgerald, he's here. I'm looking right out. Good morning, and we've got the one and only mister John Alden sesday. It's hump day, man, Come on, its hump day? Is is it mid It's the midpoint of the week. So after we roll through today, which will take you up until nine o'clock, we will then be in the backstretch of the week, which is good. Everybody's working for the weekend and it'll be here before before long. We've also got John Shannon alongside. He's getting his first newscast prepped and ready, and the full crew is mentioned is here and you can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. A lot to get into today, I guess it is worth mentioning something that was a very dominant talking point throughout yesterday morning, the Israel Israel Iran situation. The ceasefire has taken full effect after Israel finally confirms agreement. What a morning it was yesterday is throughout there were many updates and then right as soon as we were wrapping the show up, I guess more so towards the end of the show, the final hour, the president of boarding a helicopter and really had some colorful language.
Speaker 2: As they say, and you know, I get it.
Speaker 1: He was frustrated that despite both coming to an agreement to cease fire, it didn't actually, you know, it took a little while longer. But to his point, those two have been at odds for so long and there's such a mess that in what he said was, you know, they don't know, they don't know what the f they're doing.
Speaker 2: That is exactly what he said. And here's what it sounded like.
Speaker 3: We basically have two countries that have been fighting so long and so hard that they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: And I think that is why it took a little while longer for it to actually take full effect despite initially coming to an agreement. So again, we'll get the latest on that with Roory Oeil coming your way around five forty five. But fellas we are now sitting here on June twenty fifth, we have the Fourth of July coming up in a little bit over a week, and I'm sure my neighborhood is not the only one that has had some fireworks already get started.
Speaker 2: Am I am? I?
Speaker 4: Am?
Speaker 2: I wrong?
Speaker 3: Last Sunday, my wife goes, seriously, are we there? And now my daughter's home because there are AC's out. So she brought the puppy over and he's okay with fireworks, but they aggravate him. He can growls a little bit when he hears him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just not used to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last night, ten o'clock, boom boom, boom, boom boom.
Speaker 5: What about you, John, we had some go off in our neighborhood and it was it coincided with when the US did their strikes on Iran. I don't know if that was Sunday or what day that was.
Speaker 2: I could have been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think that's why we were here in some early fireworks.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was an incentive to get him out a little earlier. And look, it's not it's not new that that people will buy fireworks before Fourth of July a couple weeks, maybe even longer, and then they'll realize they didn't get them all out of their system during the fourth of July fiftivities to then you get to mid July, sometimes even late July, and it's not uncommon, whereas if we're in October November, you may hear it and think, oh, my goodness, is their gunshots in the neighborhood, but you still just just and you might briefly think that post July fourth, but then you realize, oh, it's probably people that didn't get it out of their system.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: If there's a way, because I've given my thoughts on fireworks pre fourth of July, after fourth of July, and I don't know if it's possible for me to do that without sounding like a Karen.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think you're selling a Karen.
Speaker 3: I think what you do is you resonate with a lot of folks and who don't like my wife and I. We're not fans of them, but we don't openly speak about it. We're not posting on social media about it. And I think a lot of people feel the way you do, probably more than that are lighting off the fire well.
Speaker 1: I think it's really just I guess society we are so completely one side or the other and what I try to this is just really how I'm wired, and I don't say it to Bragg. I'm sure some people think it's a weakness of mine, but both things can be true. I don't necessarily think that at all times we have to just Okay, it's got to be this extreme or that extreme. But I don't like fireworks. But that's just a personal preference, meaning they don't really bother me.
Speaker 2: I just I don't.
Speaker 1: I've never really understood the intrigued, but I'm sure there's things I'm intrigued by that I'm interested in that others wouldn't understand. So, you know, do your thing. But I think because those who really get into it and are worried and they're on high alert of the neighborhood karens that want to shut them down if you have, if you if you express any anything in regards to them lighting them off late at night, them lighting them off when it's nowhere near fourth of July, even if you went about it as as polite as possible, I just think there's there's some that just assume you're trying to be a fun sucker. And sometimes that is the case with people I'm sure, but like for me, my daughter, she she has autism and sensory is a big thing to where you know, she she can wear her her her headphones and it and it certainly helps. And look, there's some kid it's that that's actually stimulating in a good way. But not everybody's the same. And that's why to me it becomes more of like, all right, well you know, and it's just it's it's human nature.
Speaker 2: If you see your kids a little scared.
Speaker 1: And uncomfortable, you just want to take action, not to go like, you know, put somebody in their place, but just make a comment to somebody. But I also try to balance that with I also don't think that people consider that. And I get it, like if they're not at fault, but if you mentioned to somebody, I don't want to make them feel like, oh my goodness, I'm making this family's child upset. And then also dogs, I mean, it could be a really could it could It could torture.
Speaker 3: A dog absolutely in what you were mentioned there, fireworks remind me of kind of like when I leave the ballpark and I decided not to buy that ten dollars beer three times over, fireworks every time I get them because my son likes them. I light them off and go, that's money I could have had back.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's over. You said it best. I look, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I wait.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you made the comparison there about the beers, because you're right, yeah, you could have saved that money and just yeah, you know, had you know, save some money, had a beer for much less, you know.
Speaker 2: But no, I'm with you. So, hey, everybody be prepared for fireworks to start.
Speaker 1: And also just be mindful, you know, because just if someone mentions it that maybe if you could be a little courteous, they're not necessarily always just looking.
Speaker 2: To be the neighborhood Karen.
Speaker 1: It's just that they may have a situation that they just want you to be aware of. So anyhow, we're getting closer, fellas. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. We got a lot to get to. Well, let's have some fun on a hump day. It's Kentucky and this morning news on news Radio eight forty whas as the ceasefire has finally taken full effect between Israel and Iran, we have an update on the number of casualties here Israel reported four deaths from the Iranian missile attacks, and Iran reported nine from the Israeli strikes, so a total there of thirteen lives loss due to this, which is you know, any life lost is an awful thing, of course, but I wonder how many that follow this, maybe not at all, or maybe very loosely casually, if you will. And I don't say that to past judgment, because I understand I'm sure there's many that realize this is an important thing and it's a big deal, and maybe they want to somewhat be up to date on what's going on. Maybe they sort of just kind of live in their world. And again, don't mean that as a criticism. It's just they don't feel as if there's anything in their life on a day to day basis that they could do currently that's going to impact any of it, so they just try to live and enjoy life. I think that's a pretty I think it makes sense, if I'm being honest with you. But I wouldn't be shocked if there's some that just assume, because of the nature of what's been going on, that it would be a lot more than that. Let me ask you, John, And I'm not putting you on the spot. If I had you guess, would you have been in the ballpark of knowing there were thirteen casualties between the two sides. And I say that willing to admit to you, I would have just guessed a lot more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think with you when you saw or heard about how many missiles were fired at each country, I think you would have assumed more. Families we've been involved with them.
Speaker 1: When I think of a missile being fired and landing anywhere, I mean again, I don't know if there's an average. Again, there's a lot of different scenarios in which way it could go. But I I'll admit the ignorance of just not knowing, and I would have just assumed a lot more. So I don't know if that's information people care about, but just thought it was worth sharing. Is again, the ceasefire is now in full effect.
Speaker 2: I was real close.
Speaker 1: I got close to cease far. The bullet County came out before five twenty almost.
Speaker 2: Which sees far sease far far in a hole.
Speaker 1: Any anyways, real quick an update on one of the stories we discussed yesterday. The JCPS board did approve the young property donation, which again they didn't have to do that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys are into conspiracies like Tony Venetti is, but you know, he mentioned at the end of yesterday's show and he joined us that you know, he thinks this may be a smoke screen that if in fact, you know that this gift is from the young just so that if and when they do in fact move all of their employees that are still headquartered here in Louisville elsewhere, that there won't be as much pushback and there won't be as much criticism because some people may sit back and say, oh, well, at least they gave JCPS that building that, as Marty Polio estimated, could be roughly a forty million dollar gift, so it makes total sense for them to accept it. Obviously, there's some innovations that need to go into it, but I mean, I would imagine that's something that.
Speaker 2: They're very appreciative of. All Right, we got sports.
Speaker 1: Coming your way here in about five minutes, and I'm sure Scott's going to mention a variety of things throughout the morning here. But we got the NBA Draft coming up tomorrow, which I don't remember the draft happening this quickly after the NBA Finals. Maybe it's because we don't often get seven game series when it comes to the finals. But I've got some finals facts and stats that I think are interesting that I certainly want to share with you. And also, at some point I'm going to share thoughts on something that is inevitable but I'm against it, and that's expanding the NCAA tournament. It sounds like that's likely going to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked. I'm going to take a guess here. That's Scott Fitzgerald. For those who know he's a baseball guy. He may lead with Chase Burns last night and the debut he had with the Reds, the only picture in the last fifty years to strike out the first five batters he faced in a major league debut. That's a hell of a start. So again, sports is coming up next, but first let's get an update on traffic and weather on News Radio eight forty whas. That's right, John Shannon, fresh out of the oven, it's hot, ready to get it started. Here on a Wednesday, it is Kentucky and it's morning News with Nick Coffee here on News Radio eight forty whas I had perfect time in this morning when I made my morning stop in at Thornton's, which you should stop in at Thornton's too to start your day.
Speaker 2: No better way to do it than at Thornton's. End.
Speaker 1: Again, you save money at the pump. You can not only save money every single time you fill up or get gas. Maybe you're just getting gas and you're not filling up because the budget's tight. But if the budget is tip, Thornton's is where you need to be because again, regardless of when or how much you need, you're gonna save money. And then you can also save up to twenty five cents per gallon once per week. So shut out Thornton's. But what I was getting at is I happened to walk in make my way to the drink, you know, the wall of all the different drink options they have, and it was right as soon as they were putting a humongous tray of all the donuts just completely fresh. I mean, think about all the colorful donuts they have there.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful, beauty almost it almost took me to my knees, that's how beautiful.
Speaker 2: It was with you. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: I should have I should have got pictures of it just to show you because it was.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful, beautiful thing. But so the Crystal Rogers case.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, the jury was selected, and I know I've mentioned this a few times, why not mention it once more? This has to be one of the most popular and I feel weird saying popular because it's a tragic situation to where the family of Chrystal Rogers still doesn't have full closure because they've never recovered a body, and certainly if the if a guilty verdict is what comes out of this trial, then hopefully there'll be some level of closure for them. However, the jury was selected. That was the big update from yesterday. And it's not surprising because of just how long this story has been out there, and clearly it's a local interest. This is a story that people across the world have a level of interest in, but obviously those in the area, certainly those closer to the community of Bargetown, I'm sure they've been up to date on a lot, even if they hadn't watched a bunch of TV specials documentaries about this particular case. So when it comes to selecting the jury, process or the process for the selecting the jury. You're not supposed to have a lot of knowledge, and of course more than I think it was one hundred potential jurors had knowledge of the Crystal Rogers case rather regardless of us through news coverage, true crime podcasts, documentary, or just hearing every day people discuss it in conversation. So the effort to secure a fair and impartial jury, I mean it, it was different than I think a lot of other cases out there for again obvious reasons. But the jury did I'm sorry, the judge and the attorney didn't grill potential jurors, and prosecutors repeatedly explained to those that this is a circumstantial evidence case, and of course there is there's there's no body, so I'm I'm interested to see this thing how it plays out. But that's one of those one of those aspects of this process selecting the jury that I hadn't really considered that. You know, it's it's easy for folks to know about this story just because it's it's it's been out there for so long, and again it's it's without question, one of the biggest true crime stories from this state that has received attention on a national level. It's as many of the one hundred and thirty two potential jurors had heard about the case through those those through different ways that you can you can you can hear about it even if you turn on the TV, you pop up in social media, or if you're in Barge Town and you stop at the convenience store. I mean, it's clearly I would imagine has been a big talking point for quite some time. So again, despite the media exposure, they did find a fifteen person jury, eight men, seven women, including three alternative alternatives that was seated. So we'll see which shakes out from here. But no doubt there'll be a lot of not just attention for good reason on this case here locally, but I believe, I mean, you wouldn't shock me if you'll have maybe once it gets rolling a little bit, which, by the way, the case is that the trial is taking place in Warren County and Bowling Green. But I was gonna say, you'll have national media presence as far as coverage from the big outlets right not just here locally but nationally that are covering this. Maybe not even so much for live news coverage, but just those that want to take this. There's going to be television produced, I guess I should say content produced from this trial all over the place. And I'm not talking about news. I'm talking about documentaries, podcasts, those kind of things. So I wouldn't be shocked if Bowling Greens has more national media presence there as this trial mote moves on than maybe they've they've ever had for a trial. That sounds crazy, but I'm telling you I don't. I think just because it's clearly something we know about around here, maybe there are people that don't realize how national this case has been over the last decade. All Right, we've got your next update of traffic coming up from Bobby Ellis. We'll get a weather update as well from WLK wise Susanne Horrigan, and we'll keep it rolling along here. What I want to get to coming up in just a moment, there's a new Kentucky law in place that will impact JCPS teachers. And actually, because it's a Kentucky law, it's everybody in the state, and I think it's probably one that many teachers probably don't don't agree with. Certainly they're going to follow along or or be held accountable. But I'm curious what our listeners think about is this Is this the right move to make. We'll talk about that next right here on News Radio forty Whas forty six here Kentucky, and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. We now bring in Rory O'Neale of NBC News, who joins us here on a Wednesday. Rory, again, it took a little bit longer than I think most would have hoped. In fact, I think most would have hoped that we didn't have any of the situation play out the way that it did between Israel and Iran. But it does seem as if after yesterday things are are calming down.
Speaker 4: It does. You know, that ceasefire got off to a pretty rocky start. But President Trump, we were told, had that stern phone call with Israeli Prime Minister net and Yahoo and talked him off of the response after Iran launched missiles, technically after the seasfire began. So here we are as we speak, still things are in a good space. President Trump just spoke a short time ago from the Hague in the Netherlands, you know, speaking about the ceasefire and all the other Ish who's surrounding the US strikes in Iran, and he remains optimistic, saying that these two sides had to fight it out for a while, but he's optimistic that they both want to come to the table and talk peace.
Speaker 1: As we've discussed a few times here and there over the last few weeks, it's tough to know just how much truth is in some things that you hear from.
Speaker 2: Both sides of the political aisles.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the the damage that was done to Iran's nuclear facilities, there's there's those that say that it's it's completely crushed, it's it's it's rock essentially. I believe it's what Donald Trump said, And then of course there's others that claim that maybe the damage was not as extend as extensive and maybe it only set Iran back a few months. Do we have any is there any clarity on that?
Speaker 4: I think you can definitively say that the President's team is quick to the clare victory. Right.
Speaker 1: I think you're onto something there, Rory, what's that? I think you're onto something there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there. I mean they're quick to say how this was such a win. But look, at the same time, you know, it did make Iran come to the table and say, all right, let's do a ceasefire. So maybe there is something to this idea that things were obliterated damaged, you know, let's find our adjective and get our resources out and try to find the exact word. But I think it's more accurate to say that the Defense Department is still working with our international partners, namely Israel, to get a better idea as to exactly what happened, and we just don't know that definitively. CBS and CNN and the New York Times we're all out with that Defense Department intelligence report saying well, maybe it's set in back a few months, but if you read the report, it also says, but we're not sure yet. This is preliminary. So everyone take a breath, and you know, we clearly did significant damage. Now, whether it's obliterated, damage destroyed, you know, again, we'll leave that for the experts to figure out in the coming days.
Speaker 1: Roy and Neil of NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty. Whas. When I hear that Americans have travel anxiety when it comes to making trips internationally, I'm not totally surprised, but do we know what maybe the biggest factor is.
Speaker 2: In that among many Well.
Speaker 4: The new poll finds that even people who booked trips already are four and ten are starting to say, oh, did I make a mistake with this? Because there's a lot of anxiety, mostly around the travel itself. Will my flight get canceled? Will my airline still be in business? Will the wing fall off? So there's that kind of anxiety that's out there, But there's also concerned about current perceptions of Americans right now, especially in those cities that are overrun with tourists in the summer. I'm thinking Rome, Paris, Barcelona. They're so crowded right now. The residents are just fed up with a lot of the tourists who are showing up at the high season. So maybe if you adjust your calendar you'll feel better. A nice trip in October would be lovely.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Rory, as always, Thank you for the time, Enjoy the rest of your morning.
Speaker 2: And we'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 2: That is Rory O'Neil, NBC News. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have anxiety wh travel anywhere, regardless if it's international, if it's a road trip. I don't know why I'm weird like that. It usually all works out, but I have this It's maybe it's not every trip for me, but if I'm going on vacation, even if I'm excited for months and I'm counting down till we get there, like a lot of people do, I would assume when I get close, I'm like, I don't know, should I be making this trip or not?
Speaker 2: Am I alone there? Maybe maybe I am.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm weird anyway. So we've got sports coming your way here into about five minutes. Also an update on traffic and weather, and something I mentioned a moment ago that we didn't get to get to in the first hour here. We'll get to it coming up soon. That's a new Kentucky law that is going to impact teachers. We'll talk about that and more. It's Kentucky in this Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas