Speaker 1: Hey, welcome everybody.
Speaker 2: This is Chris Haskell of a few different shows, but I am super excited to introduce a new show called brain Melt. And before we talk too much about it, I want to introduce the originator of this, the Brainchild, the mad Genius, Bill Campbell.
Speaker 1: Bill, how are you?
Speaker 3: Hey, how's it going, Chris? I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm excited to be doing this with you, and yeah, really looking forward to this awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, we are in episode zero, as you can tell, so we thought we would use this as a way to just kind of introduce the origin of the idea, the structure of the show, and I tell you why we're excited about it, and then we'll be recording episode one here just in a few weeks, so we won't have to wait too long before you hear a regular show. But but Bill, this all started we recorded a podcast about a month ago, now, maybe maybe two months ago now, shit, I don't know, But it was because of your love of Mondo micabre right that kind of got us going.
Speaker 1: So do you.
Speaker 2: Remember, like do you want to just walk through like the in your brain? What took us from doing you being a guest on the Mondo Micabro fan Fair episode which everybody should listen to to today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. So, like you said, huge fan of Monda Micabro.
Speaker 4: Dating way back and getting to be part of that podcast was like sort of a dream come true. So we had so much fun doing that episode, just the two of us, and our our report was really good, and it was an outlet that I had never really explored before, and so I started thinking about it after that. And the original idea for this was going to be like a substack kind of thing, and I was gonna do weekly posts or whatever. It was going to be about just outsider, weirdo cinema that had really started to get me excited.
Speaker 3: But then thinking more about it.
Speaker 4: I really liked the idea of talking, you know, like vocalizing my love for these movies. And as soon as I started thinking about doing it, I thought about doing it with you because we had such a good time, and thankfully I pitched it to you, and you I thought for sure you were going to shoot me down and say that you weren't interested or you had too much going on, but you you jumped right in and we've been playing this for a little while now, so I'm super excited to get the ball rolling.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you exactly what hooked me.
Speaker 2: There is this there's this thread that I can't wait to explore with you here over the next twenty years or whatever.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Of elevating the discussion around SOOV movies, regional horror movies that typically get looked over because they don't follow the regular Hollywood beats of what a movie should be.
Speaker 1: You use the term outsider art. That's a great term.
Speaker 2: And you know, I have a personal history of really like kind of evolving into loving those movies, not ironically, but just loving them. And even today I was championing for intensive care and getting a lot of shit for it, right, And I think you share that, and so it's a cool I will get into the structure of the show in a moment, but that core kind of philosophy that you have to really really hooked me in because I think there's a cool way to bring up the discussion around movies that other people look over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the origin of this whole thing, I started to make a list on letterbox of.
Speaker 3: At the beginning, it was just weird movies.
Speaker 4: And when I say weird, I mean just like whether it was thematically very strange or structurally bizarre things that maybe you know, unpolished, sort of unfocused, but there was really pure ideas there and a level of artistry that, you know, was just so evident. So I started compiling this list on letterbox and it grew and it grew and it grew, and I think it right now, it's around like six hundred and fifty titles at the point. And the more I started to go through these, I realized a couple of things. One was that a lot of my interest in movies these days is with those types of films, right the movies of Doris Wishman, you know, really started to grab me. Jess Franco another huge, huge influence on me. Movies where usually when we bring it up in discord or in conversations, people kind of sneer at it, they kind of turn their noses up at it. The people who do get excited about it, and I'm not saying they're not excited for the right reasons, but a lot of what we would see would be people being like, oh, yeah, all those movies are terrible, they're so funny, Like yeah, watch watch them, you know, with a bunch of friends drunk, and that's sort of like, I get that that's fun. I totally see how watching Final Flesh with a room full of drunk buddies is a good time. But at the same time, I think there's something to be said for watching those movies, either solo or through sort of like a more serious, critical kind of lens, because there's so much passion and creativity on display in those movies. And so one thing that I really hate is when people say something is so at it's good. I just that that whole phrase just rubs me wrong, because I think you're you're you're taking away from what that filmmaker's intention was, or you know, the work that they put into it. In the in the passion, you're sort of looking at it as like you're enjoying it ironically, and I I kind of hate that type of irony.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think that's sort of what our goal here is.
Speaker 4: It's to to take these movies that maybe get kind of laughed at or sneered at, or they don't get the respect that I feel like they deserve, and we're gonna talk about them. We're gonna we're gonna enjoy them and listen, We're gonna laugh because there's a lot of to laugh at. But at the same time, we're really gonna like, we're gonna love these movies, and we're gonna talk about them in a way that hopefully gets other people excited to maybe watch them.
Speaker 3: In a way that they hadn't previously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that there's something in My first real kind of awe moment was watching Flesher Frankenstein. And I remember maybe this was ten years ago now, I don't know what, fifteen years ago, whatever it was, but I remember watching it and being like, man, that's fucking awesome. They just they went for it right, Like, and people talk about the overacting. No, that's not overacting. That's an intentional choice to be theatrical, right, And like there there's this idea that I give. I give some people in our discord a little bit of shit over saying like, what's a good movie, because they they'll be very quick to dismiss putting chopping Mall in my top ten because it's like that's not real art, right, and or bad pussy saying that shouldn't be in my top ten whatever, right, And like I get where they're coming from. There's these canonical films that we've been told are the best, and like it's hard not to say that, I don't know. Seven Samurai is not like a top ten movie. I get it. I get that pressure. But each person's top one hundred list should look different for me, right absolutely, And like if you love a movie, just fucking love the movie, like you don't have to make apologies for it, like if it catches you and it hooks you. Like I'm getting a lot of shit right now for liking a movie called Horror from Beyond, which was the one that everybody keeps talking about as the first movie from Revivor too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But man, like as I'm watching that, I'm watching the shadows move across the scene, I'm watching the depth of black and white contrast. I'm watching really weird, quirky choices made to like that the director left in to make the movie more interesting, and I'm just like hooked to that. I'm like, I'm seeing that movie is gonna make my top one hundred. But like, I love that movie. I don't care if everybody hates it, Like its just and that's that's the kind of thing that for me, like exactly what I want to do with this podcast, and I think you're on board, is say, hey, this movie that was lost for a long time would be a perfect pair with say June Suzuki movie, and explore this idea trying to pair it pair like a forgotten or an outsider art or a exploitation movie or some dark horror movie with something that's more classically recognized as like a canonical cinema film. And I think that that conversation just naturally allows that bridge to happen more freely and for people to see that directors are trying to do the same things. They may have a different budget, they may have a different experience in the film industry, they may have a different polish, but like they're trying to set out to do the same thing, right, And that's what I really am excited to explore here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you you were the one who pitched that idea of pairing these canonical high art house movies with these outsider, you know, sort of oddball you know, warts.
Speaker 3: And all kinds of movies.
Speaker 4: And and that's great because that that cuts to the heart of like what I was trying to do, which is, you know, sort of see them through that more serious lens. And when I say serious, I don't mean like we're not going to deconstruct, you know, a night to dismember and be like, ah, this is actually genius, brilliant high art. No, Doris Wishman was flying by the seat of her pants. She was, you know, using very little money, but she was using her creativity. And that's what we want to celebrate, right, that creativity, that success in the face of defeat, however you want to call it. But something you just said was really interesting, right, like talking about how you're getting some shit for some of the movies that are on your top top one hundred, their top fifty list. And it's it's weird because even me, like this has not been something I came to quickly, like these realizations that I'm kind of going through and these like new these ideas that are for me. I'm sure plenty of people that are gonna be listening are like, yeah, duh, we've been I've been talking about this for years. But like on my letterbox, right, like I have a list of my top twenty five movies, right, but then I have a separate list that's like titled something like my Top twenty five list with no regard for like you know, artistic merit, right, And it's certainly like dawn to me that like why have two separate lists, right, Like why do it?
Speaker 3: Why not meld those? Right?
Speaker 4: So you know, something like mad Max Fury Road is already on my top twenty five official you know, quote unquote list. But I was getting shit in our discord for having money python and you know, in the Holy Grail on there, and I'm like, that's a to me, that's a classic, canonical like one of the best comedies ever made. That's something that everybody should respect. And everyone's like shitting on it. And I'm like, wow, man, really, this whole like this whole idea of like if it's at all corny, it's at all weird, like it's somehow less than you know, a woman under the influence or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's really pervasive. Yeah, yeah, And I think.
Speaker 4: It's I think it's sort of like antithetical to the spirit of film, of cinema, of art, right, like saying like, well, these are the serious movies, these are the things that we should really be valuing, and these are the things that are just like junk food trash movies, and it's like it used to be like, oh well, I like to enjoy junk food trash movies. But it's like, hold on, let's let's think about like, is Night to Dismember a worse horror movie than John Carpenter's Halloween?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: Is it a budgetary issue? Is it a creativity issue? Like there's there's a lot of parallels there. You know, one's not necessarily better or worse than the other, Right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that you see this if you take it outside of movies for a moment, you get in the art world, this parallel becomes a lot easier, right because in one museum you'll have like a Renaissance painting, and you'll have not existential what's it called experimental.
Speaker 1: Art, and you'll have like.
Speaker 2: All these different types of eras and genres and styles impressionistic paintings, right.
Speaker 1: You'll have all these surrealist is the word I was looking for? Thank you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, You'll have all these different things, like, and they're all under one roof.
Speaker 1: So people in the art world.
Speaker 2: Have already kind of accepted that there's no such thing as one form of beauty, right, And so I like, I like this idea of being part of something that you know, you said you were inspired by Bleeding Skull, and I love that because, right because what Annie and Joe are doing there is amazing, right, And I like this idea of treating movies as art as opposed to just movies, because art there's like a much longer history to hold from into draw analogies too, And that helped me shape the way that I saw Flesher Frankenstein and help shape the way that I see Scooter McCrae movies, because that dude's a fucking artist man, Like, yeah, he makes movies for one thousand dollars, like five thousand dollars, and they're better than ninety percent of the stuff that's out there. Right, So, like anyways, we're just kind of going in circles now, but like I think we're all I think like this, there's something really wholesome in this in a weird way that I'm excited about exploring and something that I'm very passionate about. So I'm very happy you asked me to join on this journey.
Speaker 3: I think I think right now is sort of a perfect time.
Speaker 4: Okay, So two things, right, One, the reason I felt like now is a good time for this is we're obviously seeing like physical media has been booming for years, but right now I think we're at like we're at this point where there's so many labels, so many labels with sub labels, you know, it's it's becoming this like really large thing, like larger than it's ever been. And there's movies coming out now on four K that like nobody ever thought we'd see even a blu ray of. There's lost movies that are making their way now into like the collective conscience. You've got labels like you know, Visual Vengeance putting out like these SOV movies and these eight millimeters sixteen millimeter movies that nobody's even talked about in years and years. So I think now's the right time to try to like just start looking at these things a little bit differently. Like when it was just more reissues of movies we'd seen a hundred times on disc, like that's a little less exciting, But now I think it's like a really exciting time to do this. And then the other thing I'm gonna say is like that was sort of my worry something you said when I started thinking about doing this and sorry, my cat's reb INU his face on my phone. He just jumped on my lap and he's like, pay attention to me, bleeding skull. Like I never want to my influences or the people who really inspire me like I.
Speaker 3: And that was my fear.
Speaker 4: Was, like, man, Joe and Annie just do such an incredible job. Like I've I've been reading their stuff for years and just like I've always been in awe of their curation, of like their dedication to their their you know, mission statement. Annie's writing specifically has always been a huge inspiration to me because it kind of showed me that writing doesn't have to just be academic to be interesting. You can also just write from the gut. I was gonna say from the heart, but with Annie, I feel like it just comes straight from the gut. Yeah, And it was sort of freeing to think about that. So they've been a massive influence on me, not just my watching but my writing and everything like that. So I would never want to like ape their style or copy but I think they're doing their own kind of thing and hopefully like this can be a good sort of almost like sister to that, but in a different way. So yeah, definitely inspired by them, inspired by Monto Macabreau. Like these these companies and these entities and these people who are just like doing just such amazing things.
Speaker 3: Well I said around doing nothing.
Speaker 2: You know, there's one more There's one more thing I want to add to that.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: I like what you said a lot. They're another good reason for the timing of this, if we want to just pat ourselves on the back here for a minute, is there's a whole generation of people coming up now that don't have the same movie background that we do.
Speaker 1: Right, So, like.
Speaker 2: Remember in the Discord, someone's excited to watch a never ending story for the first time. That blew my mind.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, I mean that was cool to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like imagine experiencing the magic of that movie for the first time, right, That's so awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, to to just respond to that, And that's what I hope is like that was really exciting to see that, And I hope that they are able to watch that and not look at it through like an ironic lens, right, like not look at it and go like, ohh these effects are a little dated or this is a little you know whatever, Like just just sink into it, man like, because that one is crazy and there's just so many bizarre, beautiful images, and the story has layers and heart, like, just give yourself over to it, right, like in general, when you're watching movies, just just give yourself to the movie. Like, don't sit there and try to academically dismantle it, don't criticize it while you're watching and be like, oh that was goofy, that was corny. Just just sink into it. Let your brain melt exactly.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: That's probably the perfect way to end the intro, and then I think it's probably worth mentioning the structure for a few moments.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think the easiest way to do this is going to be.
Speaker 2: To do we each look at the beginning. We'll start from your list, right, There's been a lot of curatorial effort that goes into that list, So start from that list, we each pick one, and then as we watch it, the hope is that there's some you know, art house film or historically recked, you know, celebrated movie that we we find a parallel to or connection to, and we'll surprise each other live on the show with what that what that ideal pairing would be and then kind of why we think it would make a good pair uh, And so I think I feel like that's a fun way to not only talk about the movie itself, but then also draw some parallels and whether it's themes or shooting style or you know, whatever it is, to to elevate the discussion to to that level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: And I think when when it comes to that, it's not necessarily gonna be a movie that you know, there's there's obvious pairings, right, Like, there's obviously obvious pairings where you're gonna take some if you watch The Seventh Curse and then you go, I'm gonna pair it with you know, The House. Okay, that's obvious. You know, they share a lot of crazy imagery and stuff like that. But it doesn't have to be that, right, It doesn't have to be country, it doesn't have to be theme. They could be all kinds of things. Maybe it's even just Hey, I think this would make for a good double feature. This could be a fun you know, bounce from one to the other. So I think a lot of interesting conversation is gonna come out of that. I think we're gonna like really surprise each other with some of these things. And but I like that the idea is something that is sort of like canonically respected, you know, sort of doesn't have to be from Criterion collection, but something that's like in that Criterion sort of electicon exactly. Yeah, So now that's gonna be really exciting. And yeah, each week we're gonna each pick a movie, we each watch both those movies, and we come to the table, you know, ready to discuss and sort of.
Speaker 3: Kind of deconstruct.
Speaker 4: And just talk about why, you know, why this movie that maybe people sort of turn their noses up at or see as a little less than more artistic efforts really deserves their time and their like sort of watching and thinking about it a little bit differently, and we're just gonna have fun with it.
Speaker 3: You know, Like I see a lot I foresee a.
Speaker 4: Lot of time spent laughing, and just like you know, I think the important thing to remember is we're not laughing at these movies, if anything, will be laughing with them while we celebrate what makes them so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not ignoring insane things, because some of these movies just have insane things.
Speaker 4: So just to give everybody like a spoiler, like a little taste the two movies that we are watching and we'll be talking about in the first episode that'll be coming are I've already mentioned it, Doris Wichman's Night to Dismember.
Speaker 3: That was my choice.
Speaker 4: Anything that gives me an excuse to watch this movie again, I'll take it. And Chris, what was your choice?
Speaker 2: Juan Picquerre Simon, otherwise known as a nineteen eighty two classic.
Speaker 3: Pieces, Oh Chef's Kiss? What a pick?
Speaker 4: When you chose that? I was you could you couldn't see it? I was giddy with delight. I hadn't watched that movie since I saw it in the theater a repertory screening thirty five millimeter in Boston.
Speaker 3: Couldn't Yeah, Yeah, that was That was something man really excited.
Speaker 4: I was so excited to revisit it again and it did not disappoint one bit. So I can't wait to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Sam, awesome, Well, I can't wait. We'll be back soon with episode one.
Speaker 3: Bill.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, Man.
Speaker 4: I hope you know, at least one other person out there gets something out of it. But if it just ends up being you and me talking into the void about these things. Hey, you know, I'm okay with that too.
Speaker 1: We'll find, we'll find our audience.
Speaker 3: N Yeah, thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description