Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: I am good Friday morning to you. This is your wake up call for August twenty third.
Speaker 6: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. I'm so glad you joined us today Friday. We're getting ready for the weekend. We've got your weekend weather forecast. I think you're gonna like it. Nick's gonna help you get where you need to go, navigate the freeways, and of course we'll get y'all caught up on what happened while you were sleeping.
Speaker 6: So let's go.
Speaker 1: Here's what's ahead on your Friday morning wake up call. Vice President aama La Harris has officially accepted her party's nomination for president. Harris took to the stage to thunderous applause last night at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. She says she's used to being underestimated, but that the future is always worth fighting for. We're gonna be inside and outside the DNC ABC's Jim Ryan's gonna let us know if protesters got out of hand. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Then at five twenty we'll be checking in with Gary Hoffman. Of course, he and Shannon have been at the DNC all week. Arizona law enforcement has arrested a man who they say threatened to kill former President Trump. Ronald cyberd was wanted for failing to register as a sex offender. Cyverred also has outstanding warrants from the state of Wisconsin for DUI and in Arizona for a hit and run and failure to register as a sex offender. A Metro bus driver's been attacked on a bus route in San Pedro. Police say a man tried to get on the bus yesterday, shortly before noon and ended up choking the driver before getting off the boss. The driver was treated at the scene. It's going to be okay. The attacker was arrested. We're going to be checking in with our house, whispered Dean Sharp. At the bottom of the hour, he's going to be telling us about something. Everybody loves a big deck and before the top of the hour, don't blink or you just might miss ABC's Jason Nathanson. He'll let us know what's coming to theaters and of the stream this weekend at six oho five. It's handled on the News. The Supreme Court says Arizona can require voters to provide proof of citizenship in order to register to vote. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Vice President Harris has called on Americans to join her in charting a new way forward as she accepted the Democratic nomination for president at the party's national convention in Chicago. She says her personal story and prosecutorial background make her uniquely qualified to protect people's interests and beat former President Trump in November.
Speaker 7: In many ways, Donald Trump is an unseerious man, but the consequences of putting Donald Trump back in the White House are extremely serious.
Speaker 6: She says.
Speaker 1: This election is an opportunity to move past the bitterness, cynicism, and divisive battles of the past. Republicans from southern California have bashed a bill that could allow people serving life without parole in California to be let out of prison.
Speaker 8: The bill will allow people convicted of special circumstances to petition to be resentenced. Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco joined lawmakers in Sacramento yesterday. Bianco says some criminals will always have zero respect for human life.
Speaker 6: They are not wired like you and me.
Speaker 8: Under the bill, of crimes would have to have been committed before nineteen ninety and the criminal will have to have served twenty five years. The bill's author says the bill establishes a tough process that will likely deny most petitioners' cases.
Speaker 4: Blake Trolley k if I News.
Speaker 1: Homeless camps at Dackweler State Beach have been cleared out following complaints from people who live in the area. Lucy Hahn lives beachfront in Plia, del Rey and says the homeless were starting fires and leaving needles in restrooms.
Speaker 7: That that's not fared out for all the residents or even any visitors, because it's a public space. That means it's for everyone, not just certain people certain population.
Speaker 6: She says.
Speaker 1: Some of the homeless people who were removed from camping at Dockweler yesterday morning have already returned. Locals are pushing Governor Newsom to permanently ban homeless camps from area beaches. Former President Trump says he's not behind the AI generated images falsely showing Taylor Swift endorsing him. He told Fox Business that he has been a victim of deep fakes himself. He added that he's not worried about being sued over the issue. Swift hasn't publicly backed to candidate yet, but she did endorse Joe Biden in twenty twenty. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan, who's been outside the Democratic National can Mention all week.
Speaker 6: And morning gym.
Speaker 1: So, there were going to be tens, maybe even hundreds of thousands of protesters descending on Chicago. But was it a nothing Burger?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 9: Maybe, you know, I think that the little Burger, Yeah, well, yeah, the Junior Burger from But I think that the police expected, or they anticipated or at least were prepared for those kind of exaggerated predictions of one hundred thousand protesters coming to Chicago during the convention, and so they have been training for months. You know, some of these groups that protest were protesting over this past week have been holding the same demonstration in the same march since last October, and so that has provided the police department with a good training ground to be ready for the crowds that were anticipated this week, but also to build a relationship with the protest organizers. And it is a friendly and cooperative relationship. You know, the demonstrations, the peaceful groups that want to get a message out. They're not interested in vandalism or in tearing up the city. They're from here and they're interested in chanting and talking and trying to change people's minds and then marching and that's it. So, you know, I think that there were these over exactly was that it was an overblown prediction or was it the police response to what they had in front of them. I think it was kind of the latter, And they've said this was pretty successful.
Speaker 1: In me, yeah, I know, I think that they did a good job, and I personally would rather have them be over prepared than have it, you know, be something that just got.
Speaker 9: Out of funny optics. Of course, you see a thousand demonstrators, you know, preparing to step off onto a march, and you see almost a thousand police officers lining the little march route, the parade or out you know, to keep the traffic off of those folks, to keep them guided down the street. It's an interesting look to see that, to see almost as many police officers as protesters.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So did you get a chance to talk to many of the protesters?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And what was their kind of feeling? Do they think that they accomplished what they wanted to? Are they frustrated because they didn't get more airtime or well?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yesterday I asked the woman about that. I said, you know, you've been out here protesting for the last four days five I guess if you'd kind of last weekend, and yet you didn't hear much about, you know, the Palestinian situation from the floor of the convention. The woman said, well, at least you know President Biden mentioned it the other night. He said that the protesters outside have a point and that too many people are dying in the Middle East. Then last night, of course, Kamala Harris delved a little more deeply into it, being very forceful seeing the United States is going to support is Israel, but also he's going to look for some kind of solutions so civilians in Gaza are no longer being killed. I think both sides walk away feeling, yeah, she's on our side in that regard. But yeah, I think the protesters they do feel that like they had some influence on the conversation inside the hall, and you don't talk with another There was another one yesterday and I said, are you are you pleased or you know that there was no violence associated with this, and she said, well, our message is about peace in the Middle East, so why would we want to be violent and violate our own premise like that?
Speaker 6: What then did she ask why some of the people did get violent?
Speaker 9: You know, I think that the violence we saw on Tuesday night, this.
Speaker 4: More extreme group this, you know, and that's.
Speaker 9: Their stated goal is to try to gin up, you know, some violence that get to get into it with police. That's what they were their goal was, and it worked and seventy people were taken into custody. The police superintendent said the next day that about half of those people were from out of town. They weren't locals, and so I think a lot of that has come from the outside.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that's it for you. It's all wrapped up.
Speaker 1: They're going to take the fencing down probably starting today, So no reason for you to be there anymore.
Speaker 9: Well, except that it's sixty three degrees here right now, and I'll get back to Dallas today. Analy I think one hundred and eight. I'll stay here.
Speaker 6: No kidding. The weather was pretty ideal for you guys. The whole week, wasn't this beautiful?
Speaker 9: Cono says, I'd need a call and my boss say the flight got canceled again. Yeah, I know that it's November seventeenth, but it keeps getting canceled.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you so much, Jim. We appreciate all your information. G glad that there wasn't too many scuffles, and hope that you get home and your air conditioners still working.
Speaker 6: Me too, all right, we'll talk to you too.
Speaker 9: Thanks Amy, I right appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Fire has damaged, pretty much destroyed the Jay Lyttleton Ballpark in Ontario. It was built back in the nineteen thirties. The fire was reported late last night. Firefighters found heavy smoke and fire from the stadium and the dugout. It's not known how the fire started. You might recognize the field. It's where a league of their own and other movies were filmed. San Clementi is working on a plan to hold parents responsible for damage and crimes committed by their kids while they're writing E bikes. Mayor Victor Cabral says the number of emails he's getting about the issue is constantly increasing.
Speaker 10: The issue I hear most about, and I think I hear about it every day, is that, you know, sort of gangs they call them, of rogue bikers going down the street next to next to cars.
Speaker 1: Cabral says, the e bikers do wheelies and ignore traffic signs. The city voted Tuesday for an ordinance that would give sheriff's deputies more tools to go after the e bikers and their parents. It does need a final reading before it becomes official.
Speaker 6: People who live.
Speaker 1: In apartments, condos, and townhomes in Carlsbad will no longer be allowed to smoke at home starting in January. The city council there is the first in San Diego County to band smoking and vaping inside multifamily residential buildings. The ordinance also prohibits smoking on private balconies, porches, and common areas not designated as smoking locations. A man who authorities say posted a threat on social media to kill former President Trump has been arrested in Arizona. Law enforcement picked him up yesterday as Trump was holding a campaign event at the border. The former president says he didn't even know about the threat before he went to the border.
Speaker 3: I've heard of stangers, but I also have a job to do.
Speaker 1: The threat comes just weeks after an assassination attempt on Trump at a rally in Pennsylvania. A shooting in Orange County that killed three people and wounded six others at Cook's Corner in Trebuco Canyon has brought one band closer together.
Speaker 6: We're playing Rhianna and by fleetwood Man m Street.
Speaker 11: Vocalist Debbie Johnson says their bass player and guitarists were both shot as they played this song one year ago today.
Speaker 6: It took us a.
Speaker 12: While to do that song again, and the first time we did it was a little bit emotional for us, but I think that's behind us now.
Speaker 11: She says that first the shooting seemed fake until a woman got shot.
Speaker 6: I watched him shoot her right in the chest. That's when we knew it was real.
Speaker 11: She recalled a feeling of hope once deputy started arriving.
Speaker 7: I can't walk by one of those guys without wanting to thank them. I never want to hear anybody say again defund the police, because they should have been hiding behind that bar with us, hoping somebody would come help.
Speaker 11: Cozy Sheriff's Deputy Jesse Carrasco was first on scene in two minutes. Ut Rosco was one of three who killed the shooter.
Speaker 3: I've been training for a scenario like this all my life.
Speaker 2: I'm happy I was able to act according to our policies and within the law, but I'm still saddened by the three people unfortunately did lose their lives, and many others were heard.
Speaker 11: The shooter was a former cop, targeting is a stranged wife in Orange County, Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: A metro bus has been in a crash in Studio City, La City Fires is Seven people were hurt this morning, but they say the injuries are not life threatening. Protesters have demonstrated against the war in Gaza outside the La Memorial Coliseum. The protest happened as USC's new student convocation was held inside, reviving those anti war gatherings on campus earlier this year. Today's or yesterday's protest started around seven point thirty continued till eleven am. There were no reports of arrests or disturbances. Lawmakers in California have sent a bill to Governor Newsom's desk that would allow alcohol to be served at the new Into It Dome in Inglewood until four am. If the Governor signs it, bartenders at a club inside the new home of the La Clippers would be allowed to keep serving patrons well past the end of games, concerts, and other events. At six o five, It's handle on the news. Kamala Harris was on a tear for Trump at the DNC, and bet Bill's going to have a few things to say about that. Right now, let's say good morning to Gary Hoffman, see what he has to say about the DNC in Chicago no longer actually at the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 13: Good morning Gary, Good morning Amy Yeap. Just standing along Michigan Avenue here thinking about what happened the last few days.
Speaker 5: The It was funny.
Speaker 13: I was just watching CNN or Fox or somebody, and they were talking about the bait and switch that happened yesterday, where everybody was talking about this blocked out section of the schedule for the events last night, and there was a section of it that wasn't labeled, and everybody was thinking, Oh, that's got to be that's got to be Beyonce, or that's got to be Taylor Swift because we saw a private jet land at O'Hare, so that must be Taylor Swift plane.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was.
Speaker 13: It's not what drove the conversation, but it was funny that everybody was talking about that and very little about the fact that Kamala Harris was going to have the speech of her life last night. At least she was going to be required to give the speech of her life. See whether or not it actually happened, you know, that's for up to other people's interpretation of it.
Speaker 5: But it was a funny.
Speaker 13: It was a funny way to I guess past the time was how to postulate who it was that was going to be coming in.
Speaker 1: CNN spent an inordinant whatever that word is, amount of time. She spent a lot of time talking about Beyonce because I was flipping back and forth because you know, I'm a junkie and I watch all the news channels and Fox has Trump at the border, talking about family members who've been killed by illegal immigrants and all of that. And then I kept flipping back to CNN because there's a death threat against President or former President Trump, and I was wondering if CNN was covering it, and they just kept talking about Beyonce. So when she didn't come out, I was like, you know what that You're right, it was a bait and switch. It was like, let's see if we can get people to tune into the DNC because Beyonce, I Beyonce might be there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And the understanding that I have is she was never part of I didn't even ask her to show up. It was just a rumor that started or they propagated it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know, it doesn't matter. It was such a non issue.
Speaker 13: It was kind of funny, and that Eva Longoria was supposed to be their main That was the big surprise.
Speaker 5: It was. It fell flat for everybody else that was watching it.
Speaker 13: But I gotta tell you, Kamala Harris gave, like I referred to earlier, the speech of her life last night. She does well when she speaks, she's she's smart, she's adamant. She was sort of arguing her case before the American people.
Speaker 5: And that's but it's over.
Speaker 13: I mean, you think about what the four days that have these previous four days led up to what was for her and for the campaign, a really great night. But now is when it starts to get real. I mean, and I don't it's I mean it in this way, they've been able to ride the pent up enthusiasm.
Speaker 12: The.
Speaker 13: Now extinguished frustration, Joe Biden's out of the race. They have a young, energetic, or I should say younger, energetic, exciting candidate that is, you know, history making potentially. That is what is driving them right now. Not the policies, not the excitement about the economy, not the excitement about the immigration problem that exists along the border. Democrats, right, I mean, And that's the thing is they did what they should have done. They rode this wave of joy, of enthusiasm. And now it's going to get down to the navy gritty. Now it's going to be important for them to be able to define what it is that they want to do, to explain what the successes of the Biden administration are, to sell that to the American people. And this bump that everybody gets every candidate gets after a convention like this, it's going to be a handful of points, you know, three four five points in the polls probably. But is that immediately extinguished by the fact that RFK is expected to endorse Donald Trump later today? I mean, and that's going to be an issue that the Harris campaign has to deal with immediately. This is not a there's no honeymoon for them right now. They have to get back to work right away.
Speaker 6: Well, here's my question though, Gary.
Speaker 1: And because you're at the convention and you've been talking to everybody, she does so well on prompter, I think we've all agreed, and I agree that was her speech last night was amazing. I was like, I'm on board, you know, And then everybody's saying, well, that's over.
Speaker 6: That's over. Now she's going to have to start talking, well does she?
Speaker 1: Because most people aren't involved in it, Like people who are listening to KFI and you and me. Most people aren't that involved in politics. And if they just watched last night, they're going to go, she's mine, I'm going for Harris.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, that's the that's the ultimate problem in American elections is the low information voter. It's the people who either don't get the information that they need or they don't even bother to look for the information they need to make an educated choice about who they want to be their elected representatives. It's president, it's members of Congress, it's the Senate.
Speaker 5: It's governor.
Speaker 13: I mean, we are all busy people, and like you said, we pay attention to you and I we pay attention to it in a way that is different than everybody else. What's interesting is that in a time like now, I mean in a place like Chicago, for this convention, I'm surrounded by.
Speaker 5: People who eat this stuff up every.
Speaker 13: Single day and they live and die by this policy stuff. So it's almost like I've become the low information voter, you know, in a town like this for an event like this. So it's an interesting sort of a switch, where a switch of positions, where now I have to be the one who's asking the questions about, Okay, who is she, what does she stand for?
Speaker 5: What are the policies that she's going to bring to the White House.
Speaker 13: I do think it is incumbent. I do think it's important and the campaign should put pressure on her. I mean, she's the one who's in charge of the campaign.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. If they put pressure on her, she does it on them.
Speaker 13: She's got to sit down and do that interview, because that drum beat, that conversation about long form interview, When is she going to do it?
Speaker 5: They need to at least get one of those.
Speaker 13: Things out of the way, one of those interviews out of the way, to stop the questions from continuously being asked. It's going to get louder today. It's going to get louder over the weekend. And I know she said she promised that she was going to do something before the end of August, but I mean it's the twenty third, that's next week. Yeah, and she's got to get on that if nothing else, just to just to stop the questions from being asked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So before we let you go, what was your highlight from the dance. I've so enjoyed listening to the show and all the people that you've interviewed. I have an interviewed or listen to your interview with Via Ragosi yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I was like, well, I liked him a lot more than I did when he was in office.
Speaker 13: There were two things that I that I liked. One of them one it was the interview that we did with Congressman Dean Phillips. Here's a guy who eighteen months ago was saying, Joe Biden is too old, Joe Biden is not the same person he should he was a few years ago. We've got to replace him at the top of the ticket. And Dean Phillips was adamantly, you know, arguing that the Democrats not to abandon him, but to improve the party, they had to get rid of Joe Biden. And that was a long time ago. He was a really nice guy, very thoughtful. He came by a couple of times and said hi to us. The other thing, and I'm not going to name names, but we talk a lot about Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 5: And when we get to meet these, you.
Speaker 13: Know, these politicians that come walking through and we get to interview some of them, almost all of them said to us off the air when we would.
Speaker 5: Ask, hey, what about this guy, what's he like, what's he really like?
Speaker 13: They all said that he is a kind of a smarmy guy.
Speaker 5: I mean, I won't use the words that they used. I'll just classify the way that nobody.
Speaker 13: Nobody is a really big fan of Gavin Newsom, even within the Democratic.
Speaker 6: Party, which is interesting.
Speaker 5: On him there last night, by the way, he was.
Speaker 13: He was in the crowd last night with a gritted teeth smiling at Kamala Eiras.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that your comment is interesting because remember when they were talking about Biden getting out and who would replace him in Kamala wasn't even in the conversation, right, Neither was Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 13: No, Well, I'm and I think that's because they understand that there needs to be a likability factor. You have to have somebody who can, you know, just on their face again, for the low information voter, draw them in right away.
Speaker 5: And those two are not. They're not at the top of the list.
Speaker 13: They have an uphill battle in terms of improving your likability or proving it to the people who could potentially vote for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Gary Hoffin, I know that you are going to have so much more to say about this because you're still doing your show in Chicago before you head back to the West Coast this weekend, So we'll be tuning in nine to one.
Speaker 6: It's Gary and Shannon Show. Gary Hoffman thanks so much. Appreciate it all right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys have seen this, but the state has its first pizza vending machine.
Speaker 6: It's called Pizza Furno.
Speaker 1: It's installed in late June at a shopping mall in Sacramento County, and it has frozen pizzas in it, and you order it, put in your money, choose what you want, and then the pizza gets put through a conduction oven and the owner says, the robotic arms then lift it up from the pizza box.
Speaker 6: They cook it, they put it back in. I don't know if it slices it.
Speaker 1: It must slice it, and then it spits out your pizza there you Oh, and you can get six different flavors. I gotta try this. I mean, what do you think?
Speaker 6: Is it a good idea, a bad idea? It's the vending machines.
Speaker 4: Great idea.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately there's not one here. There are several around the country, but I think this is the first one in California, and it's up in Sacramento, and that would be my only reason to go to Sacramento, just for the vending machine. Yes, I love the people in Sacramento, the place not so much.
Speaker 6: But so it was just wondering.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, is this a really cool idea or is this a bad idea? I think what We're gonna put it up on Instagram. We'll ask you, so when you get a chance, go to my Instagram at Ammy K. King and we'll do a little poll. Or if you have anything to say, let me know at Amy K. King will also put it on KFI am six forty pizza vending machines who Knew? Vice President Kamala Harris has officially accepted her party's nomination for president. She took to the stage to thunderous applause last night at the Democratic Now Convention in Chicago. She ended her speech by urging everyone to vote and write the next great chapter in the most extraordinary story ever told.
Speaker 6: A bill that would allow.
Speaker 1: Illegal immigrants to qualify for first time home buying loans is advancing in the California Senate. It's headed for a floor vote after passing the Senate Appropriations Committee. The bill would expand eligibility requirements for the California Dream for All Shared Appreciation Program. That's the state's first time home buyer loan program. Why don't they just call it the state's first time home buyer loan program be easier. Campers at Joshua Tree National Park have had to cut their vacation short because of bees. Park rangers have closed the campground. The closure includes the visitor center, parking area, bathrooms, and the sixty two campsites. It seems officials will let the bees leave in their own time. There's no word on when the campground will reopen. At six Poho five's handle on the news, former President Trump says he'd be honored if RFK Junior endorsed him. That could happen today at five point fifty. ABC's Jason Nathanson will let us know if we should blink twice or not. But right now, let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI, our house whisperer, Dean Sharp.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Normally we talk about stuff inside the home, but today we're going outside. And outside and inside have some same same.
Speaker 4: Factors, same same samness to them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we're talking about decks on Sunday. It's a good time to do it, because you know, we're here in the height of summer. People have been using their outside spaces a lot. I love deck, I know, right, it's just it's just fantastic. It's one of my favorite elements for the outside of the house. So for the people who have them, we need to talk about getting them ready for fall and winter, just to make sure that as we go into the cooler moister seasons that they're ready to go and then they're going to suffer. And for those who haven't had one, we're going to talk about, you know what, they're all good for. The ke to outside architecture really is to understand that it's not very different really at its heart than how we design inside outside in your yard, space, in your garden, whatever you've got available. It's all about creating rooms and hallways and walls and ceilings and windows and doors and floors. Now you use totally different materials to do that. We're not using studs and dry wall and that kind of thing. We're using other kinds of materials to achieve that, but it's still at its root the same concept. And a deck, a really beautiful deck is a beautiful wood floor, and it also creates a room a destination. And I know of no one who has a beautiful deck that doesn't spend a tremendous amount of time on it. They're simply one of the most popular and one of the most favorite elements outside of house.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Dean, let's let's just chat real quick because I know you're going to get into this a lot this weekend. So let's just do dip our toes in right now. Wood or composite.
Speaker 12: Uh, that's a tough one. I mean, it really is a tough one. That's why we're going to spend some time. I am a huge fan of wood decks, and and if more people understood how many options there are available other than what you just kind of assume. Most people think, oh, redwood or cedar, or I've got to spend you know, an arm and a leg on tropical hardwoods like teak or epe, you know, which are just I mean, they're all just gorgeous. But red wooden cedar just really aren't measuring up to what most people think. They think, Well, you use red wooden cedar because, you know, because they're rot and termite resistant. Well resistant is the keyword there. They're not rot and termite proof and redwood and cedar, you know, not a lot of old growth redwood and cedar remains in the US, and so there are techniques that the Europeans have been using for quite a while now that are really coming on strong in the US where pretty much any kind of wood, any kind of wood that you want to put on your deck, you can find in what we call a thermally treated form, which means that it has gone through a process of being superheated and so the lignins and the cellulose inside has collapsed in such a way that bugs won't eat it and moisture doesn't affect it. So literally, you name the wood and we can make a deck out of it if you want so. I am a huge fan of wood decks, love them, always, will always have. On the composite side of things, not so much. I am famously not a fan of composite decks. And I'll tell you one reason why. It has nothing to do with the fact that, yeah, they last forever, and you know, some of them are very kind of greenish in the sense of their using recycled materials. But at the end of the day, as a designer, for me, it's got to feel and look like wood. It just has to. And I don't like walking out on plastic and it just doesn't. Most of them, the vast majority don't. Now there is one exception. The only composite deck that I have ever ever recommended in my entire career. I'm rebuilding my main deck out of it right now as we speak. Is a relatively new material coming out of Mississippi, made out of upcycled rice hulls, and it looks and feels and sounds and stains and paints like teak. It is just an amazing material. But it's a composite that lasts forever. And I'm actually going to have the West Coast representative of that company on the show on Sunday.
Speaker 6: And it's made out of rice holes, rice holes, which okay, so if you get hungry, you can just gnaw on it.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's the hull, it's not the colonel.
Speaker 6: That sounds really interesting. I've never heard of that. Okay. So that's all coming up this weekend.
Speaker 1: It's all about decks with Dean Sharp Saturday from nine to noon. Nope, Saturday from six to eight, and then Sunday from nine to noon.
Speaker 6: Nope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, you got it, you got it.
Speaker 6: I'll get it all straight. Okay.
Speaker 1: That's a home with Dean Sharp again Saturday from six to eight Sunday from nine to noon right here on KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Dean.
Speaker 4: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: The Taliban tightening its hold on women in Afghanistan. It's banned the sound of women's voices. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour news room. Vice President Kamala Harris has urged Americans to seize a precious, fleeting opportunity to move beyond political divisions and what she calls the threat of Donald Trump. She took lots of shots at Trump as she accepted the Democratic nomination for president at the DNC last night. A large homeless camp at Darckweler State Beach has been cleared out. People who live in the area say the camp was growing. Tents had surrounded the public restrooms and needles littered the ground. Park rangers posted signs on Wednesday, and the tents were cleared yesterday.
Speaker 6: A principle has.
Speaker 1: Been put on leave because of a controversial dance at a school PEP rally in Merced County. In a video that's gone viral. Buhock Colony High School Principal Robert Nunyaz is sitting in a chair as the school mascot appears to give him a lap dance. Several parents say they want Nunya's fired. Others say he's a good man, he just had a lapse of judgment. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jason Nathanson. Jason, don't blink or you might miss this one.
Speaker 3: Bahaha, I Yes.
Speaker 2: Blink Twice is the new movie that we're talking about that's going to be in theaters this weekend and could top the new releases, although it's going to be a little bit of a slow as we get into the typical August time and then next week also it will be a little slow until we get Beetle Juice in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Blink Twice is the directorial debut of Zoe Kravitz, the actress uh This is the first time she also co wrote this. The story basically is you have tech billionaire Slater King who's played by Channing Tatum. He meets a cocktail waitress at a gala. She's played by Naomi Aki sparks Fly. She goes with him to his.
Speaker 3: Island. You know, he is a billionaire, so he has his own island.
Speaker 6: So on their first night, they fly off to the island.
Speaker 2: First night, and she brings a friend for sake, judgment, judgment, but there is a friend there. So there's there's two of them, and there's a whole group of people, guys and girls, and they're going and they're partying, they're having fun.
Speaker 3: They're you know, eating.
Speaker 2: Fancy meals and doing a lot of drugs and having a lot of fun. And then things start to get a little weird, and then they get weirder, and then they get even weirder and things kind of devolved from there. This is a really stylish and smart debut from Zoe Kravitz. The editing is fantastic, lots of quick cuts and very interesting and something that you don't normally notice, and when you do, it's usually in a bad way. But I really liked the editing here, and she does a really good job with kind of making it pops. From the beginning, it's cool, like this is a cool movie. These are the cool kids in school, and I think everybody wanted to be a part of it, and they do a great job mixing older iconic actors like Christian Slater and Gena Davis with the new stars like Naomi Aki and Adrea Arhona who was from Hitman.
Speaker 3: With Glenn Powell earlier this year on Netflix.
Speaker 2: And overall it's you know, look, it's gonna be compared to Get Out.
Speaker 3: That's it's just whether that's fair or not.
Speaker 2: It's going to Is it as an instant classic as ed I was, No, but it's close.
Speaker 3: It's very very close.
Speaker 2: The only issue I would have probably maybe it's a little too much style over substance, but it's very very close to instant classic status.
Speaker 3: I really really liked it a lot. This is an eight point two out of ten for.
Speaker 2: Me, and it's a fun even though it's not a big movie. There's not a lot of special effects and stuff like that. I think it's a very fun movie to go see you in the theater as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so eight point two on the jsonometer, like yes, okay, So then moving over, because Hollywood can't leave anything alone. There's a remake of The Crow.
Speaker 2: Yes there is, which I did not get a chance to see, and I apparently that's not a bad thing because it is currently twenty one percent rated on Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 6: And gived your time and your money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which you know I think you probably will too. Unless you're a big fan of The Crow out there, you know you're probably going to want to check it out just out of curiosity to see how they change this from the graphic novel or from the nineteen ninety four movie, which of course starred Brandon Lee, who was killed on the set of that film infamously, And so this is a new take on that Bill Scarsguard stars and the title character. You have FK Twigs as well, but again not getting great reviews and not going to make a whole lot of money this weekend. So it's going to be between Blink Twice and The Crow for the new releases at the box office. But it looks like Alien Romulus is going to hold up for another week at number one, or it's possible we could get Deadpool and Wolverine back up to the number one slot.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you're not going to go to the theater, you're home sitting on the couch like I might be. There's a couple of new shows incoming and the documentary Untold the murder of Air McNair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Incoming is a it's a movie. It's a raunchy rated comedy on Netflix. Really, when I say r rated and raunchy, I really really mean that, So just know that the kid. Yeah, it's a high school comedy about the beginning of a new school year. It focuses on a couple freshmen just entering into high school. There's a party, of course, and it centers around the party, and it's wanting to go to the party and make a name for themselves. You know, there's a lot of it that's kind of cliche there, but it's from a couple of writers from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Dave and John Chernan.
Speaker 3: They'll say did the Fox Sitcome The Mick.
Speaker 2: Which I really really liked and got I think very little attention when it was on a couple of years ago, starring Kaitlyn Olsen who's also in this, and a bunch of people from The Mick are also in this movie as well.
Speaker 3: That said, this really goes for the gross out stuff.
Speaker 2: There's one scene or kind of plot point in particular that I personally found so disgusting that I had to put my hand in front of my face because it was so gross and I'm not easily grossed out, and I.
Speaker 1: Would have been vomiting then, because yeah, because I'm kind of weak stomached on all of that.
Speaker 2: And it is a little funny, but it is really really disgusting. Bobby Cannavali has a really really funny but small role as a teacher who's stays too long at the party. There's some really funny older actors here. The younger actors there, there's a mix. Some of them are good. Some of them I think are a little too green. You know, this is their some their first thing, or you know, I think they're trying too hard. It's a lot of a lot of stuff is really cliche. But I could see if I were in high school, I probably love this. I can see teens really really digging it. I do have to point out I think there's one instance of very irresponsible drug use, which I was a little surprised by and I feel went a little too far.
Speaker 3: So just know that going in as well.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not apprude, I don't think, but I think there should be some kind of responsibility, especially when you're depicting teens on screen. But other than that, you know, funny, yeah, kind of cliche for the most part, doesn't really get there, but there's some good stuff.
Speaker 3: This is a five point four out of ten for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then real quick because we are out of time, but they untold the murder of air McNair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for the first hour.
Speaker 2: I thought by the end of it, when they pose some new theories on the murder of this NFL quarterback that.
Speaker 6: They were like, who's air McNair.
Speaker 2: Yes, Steve air McNair, who's a Tennessee Titans quarterback.
Speaker 6: He was Oh no, it just gave me the nastiest think guy ever.
Speaker 3: He was killed in two thousand and nine. It was a murder of suicide.
Speaker 2: They get into exactly what's going on, but then I think, very irresponsibly, at the end of this they bring up a bunch of new theories and then just leave it at that. I thought, actually there was going to be a second episode that they were going to lead into, but no, it's just this one. And they build this whole case the whole time and then drop this stuff on you, which I think is very irresponsible. And your left is the viewer googling all this stuff at the end of it, which they either shouldn't have gotten into because it's too thin or they should have explored even more so, that's a four point six.
Speaker 3: Out of ten for me.
Speaker 6: All right, Jason Nathanson, thank you so much. All right, Tacker, all right, have a great week.
Speaker 1: Tonight the Dodgers take on the Tampa Bay Rays and Dodger Stadium yay, with first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer An and technical producer Kno and traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your Friday wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime to any of the shows on iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am. Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.