Speaker 1: The Dodgers are back home from the first two regular season games in Tokyo. We're joined right now by veteran Dodger reliever, a new member to the Dodger bullpen, but not a new member to Major League Baseball or the National League West. That is the one and only Kirby Eates. Kirby, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, no problem, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So what's it like to be here at Dodgers Stadium for the first time wearing a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little different. I mean, I don't know the numbers, but I feel like I've probably played here the most out of any visiting stadium, so it's always been one of my favorites. So it's kind of cool to be on the home side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it will be refreshing that if you do warm up in the game tonight or in Anaheim, it will be back in open air bullpens, unlike in Tokyo.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's uh, you know, we're people again. We got to be a part of the actual stadium. So looking forward to, you know, feeling the energy again.
Speaker 1: What was it like in Tokyo as far as the bullpen I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it was actually kind of fun to be down there. I mean, I think we made the best thought of it. But you know, you'd rather kind of be out in the field and have the you know, get to experience the environment and kind of the energy of the stadium instead of you know, running back from the tunnel, getting out on the dugout and then being kind of thrown right into it. It was a little weird, but you know, it was an experience.
Speaker 1: And you're getting a taste of the new Dodger clubhouse experience. Obviously you weren't here last year, but can you compare it to other clubhouses you've been in.
Speaker 2: That's very nice, you know, I think with the space that they had and you know, what they were capable of doing if they nailed it. You know, I think it's now you could say it's a first class facility. I would agree with that, And yeah, it's very nice. They did great job of the locker room, great job of the weight room, training room, everything.
Speaker 1: Globally Field one of the newest ballparks in baseball? How would you compare the amenities to that?
Speaker 2: It's definitely comparable, you know, the only the Dodgers kind we were kind of at a disadvantage of based on space that they had. You know, Texas got to build from a clean slate, so you know, in that aspect, I don't think it's kind of fair to compare the two, but I think they're both very, very nice, and you know, it would be one A, one B best clubhouses I've been in.
Speaker 1: Hey, Kirby H has been around for a while. So do you remember the old Dodger Stadium visiting clubhouse?
Speaker 2: I think the first year I got there, they had just remodeled a little bit and kind of gave it a facelift, but the old visiting one was still there and you could kind of you could go check it out if you wanted to. So you know, I think I just missed the very very old one.
Speaker 1: This new one, though, it's still a work in progress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still work in progress. I mean, you know, it's I believe it or not. It's probably not the worst visiting clubhouse there is. You know, it's just a little small and type for space, but overall it's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Facial of approval from kirbya who has seen many clubhouses in his Major league career. You've been a part of many bullpens in your career as well. Can you just take us through the organic process of a bullpen coming together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know, you just get to know everybody's personality. I think this team it's like, look, we got two new guys or three and me, Tanner and Louis. Everybody else's kind of been knows each other and knows each other's personality. So you know, as the new guys, you just kind of come in, try and fit in, and it's been fun. It's a good group.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: You know, Barto keeps the loose down there. Barto does a really good job, and you know, I just you're looking forward to kind of getting in the role of things and having the season start and kind of, you know, everybody kind of settle in, settle in the roles, and you know, really have it become a bullpen.
Speaker 1: And speaking of roles, just being around the team since Dave Roberts took over, it's not necessarily roles when it comes to innings. It's about groupings of hitters. Is that something new to you, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, No, I think here they do it a lot differently than a lot of other places. You know, other places kind of focus on the pockets too. I think this is a little bit different the way they do it, but you know, they communicate and tell you exactly what they do they're going to do, and where you think you're going to pitch, and you know, just be ready for that. And you know that makes it kind of easier to prepare.
Speaker 1: I've heard of relievers saying they want roles defined so they know when to, you know, get ready for the game. Just as long as it's defined for you clearly, Is that a good enough role of an understanding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think just every guy down there wants clarity and does it want to be surprised when the phone rings. You know, you want to be prepared when that phone rings, and so you can go in there and do your job and help your team win. You know, that's all. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: Hey, opening day starter right in front of us here, Blake Snell. Hello, hopefully you don't have to work on the nights. He pitches. I want seven innings out of you, Snell. Hey, get on cold mobile time. Oh come on right, Kirby, I demand seven innings from this guy.
Speaker 2: She can go whatever he wants. We'll be ready. I think we're armed and ready for it, whether it's six, seven to eighth or ninth. But you know what, every bullpen guy never complains about those seven innings, those complete games. We you know, we love when we can kick our feet up and not have to worry.
Speaker 1: Well, Kirby, thanks a lot for the time. Mahalo and aloha means goodbye right now, all right, Aloha