Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy.
Speaker 2: Crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 4: The kids are playing or trail off.
Speaker 2: The countries are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play intermurals, Brother gold Play Intermurals.
Speaker 5: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 5: All right? Here we go.
Speaker 4: Welcome in Coffee and Company, fuel by Thorntons.
Speaker 5: That's the name of the show. My name's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: Austin Montgomery alongside Today we are fueled by Thornton's. Again I mentioned name of the show. Who were fueled by my name? His name, but the name of the show today, the podcast right each day. Austin does a good job of taking something from the show and making it a title. And I've had many people really over the years. This is something we've been doing for a while, whether it be Austin or John, that they try to take something from the show and give it a title to where if you were listening live you probably get it but if you're a podcast listener, which we certainly appreciate you. However you're listening or whenever you're listening, you think what's this about? And then you dive in you think, okay, well now I get the name. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and get it out of the way. Here's the name of.
Speaker 5: The show today.
Speaker 4: Okay, appreciating the process, Okay, and I'll explain. So last night done, Louisville a dominant win ninety one to sixty six over n C State Chucky Hepburn played. You'd a never known he had any issue of the injury. That groin looks huh. I mean, even if I didn't know he was dealing with a groin issue that it led him to miss the second half of Boston College and of course the entire game against Miami, I feel like, and I'm probably wrong here, this is probably just you know, me imagining things, but I feel like I would have said, man, you know what, that guy's a really good player, and man, he's got a strong groin. Like the groin was not an issue at all. The groin was phenomenal. He was phenomenal. Louisville wins again ninety one to sixty six. So when I say appreciating the process, what I mean is this has been such a fun ride throughout and honestly, even whenever it didn't look like they were going to be a tournament team, I don't think we knew for sure, but I remember being in the minority at least as far as you know, people who interact with us on this show, and honestly, the toxic wasteland that is Twitter that even after they got bad news about Prior not coming back, Corn Johnson played two games and then they got blown out by Tennessee and then went to the Bahamas, played well, but then that's when you find out Prior's out. You lose big time to ole Miss Duke ends up beating you by double digits after you led for thirty minutes of the game. Really, those are the ones that stick with me more than anything as far as me feeling like I'm in the minority that I still think, Hey, they're losing, but they're losing to good teams and they're still shorthanded. The ceiling is probably not really high, but I still think this team is getting better. So like, even whenever it wasn't looking like they're a tournament team, right, I guess more than anything before January because that's when they went undefeated in the entire month, and really that shaped the entire season. So even before then it's been a fun ride. But once January hit, that was intoxicating, That was arousing, if I may, I mean that was that was not only Louisville winning at a high rate, and I don't really care who it was against, but they've got you know, they've got wins that I'm not going to call them signature wins, but wins that certainly have have helped the resume where they're in the top thirty and the net and the kid palm.
Speaker 5: So it was a wild ride. I don't know if I got ahead of myself.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna I don't believe that me feeling too confident about Louisville will have anything to do with their performance and how they play. But I just remember thinking like, hey, they're getting kind of boring to talk about, but I'm loving it.
Speaker 5: I can do it every day.
Speaker 4: Man, this team has been fun to discuss because man, they're good and they're kicking everybody's ass. And then we had the Georgia Tech game was that was, you know, a setback. I still don't believe that they played like they were feeling themselves. I don't think they played like they were taking anybody lightly. I think they just kind of had not one of their better games, clearly. And then Georgia Tech played well, and then the next game out Boston College, Chucky gets hurt.
Speaker 5: I start to fear.
Speaker 4: And then last night, I'm sorry, and then Miami, he doesn't play and you were able to win, but just the fact that you were within I don't know, five to six, Miami was in five to six points within the game late. That just had me kind of worried to where I'm starting to kind of like panic and think, oh, oh, this is not ideal. We need to be at full strength at least, you know, Chucky and James Scott being able to play. And I never felt like they weren't going to make the tournament. But I'm sure it was probably annoying to many people, but I just kept thinking, man, they have not a lot to gain in a whole lot to lose with a potential loss, and I went like a week kind of worried about how things are going to finish up, not because I doubt the team, but just because you know without Chucky that that's not ideal. So when I say appreciating the process, I think we had a great month that really was intoxicating.
Speaker 5: I couldn't get enough of it.
Speaker 4: I feel like I was very much appreciating it because I know where Louisville basketball's been in recent years. But maybe the basketball gods were just wanting me to realize how special this is because they gave me a wi the basketball gods did of really thinking back on the season thus far and really having to just kind of And it wasn't like I didn't appreciate it, but man, I was just looking back at thinking, man, this is such a fun ride. This has been awesome. Imagine if like it's all over because Chuck he's hurt. So a week went by and I'm not necessarily in panic mode, but you guys, if you listen to the show, like I mean, I was worried, but not because I thought there was like something They weren't telling us that he was more so injured than we thought, but just to know that like an injury to him could kind of end this magical season that has been going on for the last few months, and again magical is probably a stretch, but like for us, given the circumstances, this has been awesome. So last night, you get Chucky healthy, Louisville comes out, They win ninety one to sixty six. Statistically, probably one of their best offensive games.
Speaker 5: In fact, it has to be.
Speaker 4: They shot sixty four percent from the field, fifty eight percent from the three point line. They were insanely balanced. I mean, are you kidding me? Twenty one apiece for Rain Smith and Terrence Edwards. Javon gives you seventeen Chucky with a with a with a light light work, fifteen six assists, three steals. I mean you throw in Trey Ora who had nine. I mean James Scott gave you, gave you six. I mean, just a really balanced, balanced game for Louisville. And I went right back last night to thinking, man, I don't want this to end.
Speaker 5: This is too much fun.
Speaker 4: Austin and I are texting each other how much we love this team, and it's just I feel like the basketball gods, the Georgia Tech loss, I just feel like it happened. But the week of Chucky getting hurt, him not playing the rest of the second half against Boston College, him missing the entire game against Miami. The Miami game ended up being a double digit win, but you know the fact that they were even close late and you didn't have Chucky or James Scott had me worried. So I went through a week of just being really stressed and worried about my team. And I feel like it was the basketball God's letting me know, Hey, we're just doing this to make sure that you fully appreciate what this is. And I know I do, and I'm sure a lot of you listening do, because ninety one to sixty six, I mean that's a beat down. And I mentioned just the stats from these just a really balanced night, which really that's what this team. That's what they've become, a really balanced team that on any given night, I mean, five different guys can lead you in scoring. I mean, Chucky can lead you in scoring. Nobody's going to be shocked. Ray Smith has led you in scoring in many games. And by the way, he's actually scoring a lot of points per game this year because he just in any moment can I mean I say any moment, It's pretty consistent. The guy has made a lot of threes twenty one last night, five of them from downtown Terrence Edwards. He'll have games where he doesn't shoot it efficiently, but even in those games, he still probably is getting close to double ditches. Then last night he's eight of twelve, four of four from three point range, didn't miss a three Javan. He's had a thirty plus point game seventeen last night, light.
Speaker 5: Work for him. And then even Trey.
Speaker 4: Ore has led this team in scoring in a game as well. So they really just got back to being the team that we watched for a good stretch of January that made us think to ourselves, this isn't a team that's just taking advantage of the ACC. They are doing that, by the way, but it's not just that they're not a bad team that's able to squeeze out victories against a pathetic conference that used to be elite. They're a good team that is beating down opponents. And yes, make your comments about how bad the ACC is, that's fine, and I'm not even gonna disagree with you, but there's certain teams that have a really gaudy record and they're not dominating certain teams. I mean, look, I can't lie to you.
Speaker 5: I wish I could.
Speaker 4: I wish I could find some numbers that I could manipulate spinning in a certain way to make the ACC look better than it is.
Speaker 5: But I can't do that. But I don't care to. I don't need to.
Speaker 4: I watch Louisville and this group with their I mean, with the core that they have, with everybody healthy, they could lose to anybody they don't play well. But if they play to their best ability and they shoot the ball even decent, I think they're gonna have a chance to win some games in the NAA Tournament. So again, I hate bringing this up because I know how it's gonna come across to certain people, but I can't control that. You take it however you want it, because this is impressive. But I feel like it's me walking into somebody making a joke about the ACC. It's me giving you the hypothetical gun to shoot off jokes about the ACC and actually belittle what Louisville is doing. But their margin of victory in ACC is sixteen and a half points. They're actually beating teams on the road by sixteen point eight points per game. It's third in the country behind Duke and Auburn. As far as when they go on the road roadkill, they beat you down in your house eleven double digit roads road winds, which by the way, is number one in the country.
Speaker 5: And also.
Speaker 4: It's the first time Louisville basketball's ever done that. And again, I know the ACC is not great. It's a legitimate storyline within college basketball, but I have no problem looking at these numbers and realizing there's some this means something. Doesn't mean louis is going to be a top three seed instead of a tournament, doesn't mean that they're destined to go to a final four. But if you watch this team play, and by the way, I've actually started to notice that those that want to take shots at the ACC, they still will and they'll you know, and they're not wrong. The league sucks, Let's just be real. It sucks. Wake Forest losing last night at home to Florida State another death blow to Accede that the ACC should get. So I can't really dispute that the ACC is what it is. But if you watch Louisville close enough and you understand their personnel and you know sort of you know how they play and how they're built, meaning the veterans, the grown men on this team that are that know who they are as players. They don't step outside their game. They're mature. I mean that stuff matters, you know. By the way, they've got talent as well. I mean, Chuckie Hepburn is one of the best point guards in the country regards wordless of what the Bob Coosey Award says. I mean James Scott dunking on everybody's head, shooting eighty something percent from the from the field, and then you look at Terrence Edwards, I mean mass James Scott by the way. Yeah, I mean, dude, that you could I hated it for him because everybody's really gassing it up, which it's all you can do, right, It's not his fault. I mean he's out there playing, but you can tell, couldn't you tell he's uncomfortable? Oh of course it looks uncomfortable. I mean he looks like he just wants to take it off and throw it. I have I'm of the belief that he was told that if he wanted to play he had to wear to wear it because he did not want to wear it.
Speaker 5: It was just a hanging off his face at times.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, apparently he can't communicate on the floor as well, so it's an issue. But like, this team is good, and I never felt like they weren't good. When they lost to Georgia Tech. I kind of felt like I was on an island by myself because I didn't I don't think the fans panicked and lost their mind. But it wasn't like, hey, we gotta get we got to get right. I don't think they even played that bad against Georgia TACK. They just didn't shoot it as well as they typically do. They missed some big free throws, they did not execute down the stretch. So again, that happens from time to time. That's basketball, that's sports. But they also went up against a team who shot the ball really well and made really tough shots, and sometimes you lose. So last night to me, as bad as NC State is, which by the way, they're bad, really bad. To me, that wasn't what last night was about. It was just we got to once again see this team whenever they've got it rolling, and I think the rest of the way you could slip up and lose, because you know what happens. The Georgia Tech reminder will be there but they have a seventy one percent chance of winning on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sorry, Sunday against Notre.
Speaker 2: Dame another odd Sunday night game.
Speaker 4: Very weird, But that is as far as just the ken Pom projections. That is their I guess most likely loss at seventy one percent. And I don't know how much this stuff actually means, And you know, therefore why do I mention it? But I'm just trying to put in perspective that last night, I mean, you could have beat NC State worse than you did. I mean, you won ninety one to sixty six. It could have been worse. They were making tough shots late just because they are a mess, and they were chucking it up from three NonStop. But Louisville right now, I mean, if they finished the season without another regular season loss, they will not have added any real signature win by any means. In fact, they're not even going to be adding I mean, I guess certain I maybe pay it'll be a quad two. But right now, seventy one percent is their percentage chance of winning against Notre Dame on Sunday. The rest of the way, eighty six percent chance against Florida State at home eighty two percent chance. At Virginia Tech, who is one of the worst teams in the league, Pittsburgh and home, they're falling off, but that still worries me because I know they have some talent, but still you know their top fifty and your percentage chance of winning at home there's seventy six percent.
Speaker 5: You play at home.
Speaker 4: By the way, you only have two more road games and then you're at home for Actually you have away at Notre Dame home Florida State at Virginia Tech next Tuesday, and then the rest of the way. You finish out with three straight home games pitt California, and Stanford. So these are all games that you would have a tough time losing, meaning you'd have to really come out and I think be a team that we don't recognize to lose at least some of these games. So if you finished the season eighteen and two in the ACC twenty five and six overall, and you win these games, maybe by a good margin, you're going to have a top twenty five ken Palm, You're going to have a top twenty five NET And that's not the end all be all, but that could make it to where you're looking at an eight type seed to maybe six or five, depending on what other teams do. So I don't want to make it sound like before last night I was worried this team was going to completely crumble. But I just again, I'm appreciating the process of what it's like to ride with a team throughout an entire season. And I'm sure if you're a Kentucky fan you've been there. I mean, you've been in the tournament every year for the last four years. Louisville, of course, you know, hasn't. So you know, you go through stretches where you're thinking, man, we were on top of the world, then we lost three or four.
Speaker 5: Louiva didn't do that.
Speaker 4: But I think just with the Chucky injury, the loss to Georgia Tech, the closest game against Miami, it just made me kind of think, hey man, this has been such a fun ride. I would hate for another injury to potentially really devastate this team. And last night, Chucky's growing looked as good as I mean, I'm not somebody that I mean, I'm not somebody that can evaluate groins as good as you know, maybe somebody who works in the medical field, but I don't feel like I'm out of line to say his groin was as good as anybody's growing Last night on the floor in Raleigh, I would say, we're some groin knowers.
Speaker 5: We know the groin. Huh.
Speaker 4: I mean, I look, I'm it goes better if you it makes me. It looks better if you say not me, because I you know, I know where, I know where I am as a growl nowhere. But me saying it's gonna be just sounded like I'm gassing myself up.
Speaker 5: So that's fine. Yeah, you know, I can get in.
Speaker 4: The lab and really evaluate a growing and its ability and whatnot. So again, big winners last night the cards, and again you could have beat them by fifty and it would have meant really nothing as far as like who you played. But work the system, beat down teams that know they stink bury them. And honestly, that's one complaint I would have is that at times they've been up big and then not won by as much as they should have. Right like the Virginia game at home, they won by fourteen. That's a fine win, but like they probably could have won by twenty five or twenty whatever it may be. And it wouldn't have made a difference as far as how we view this team. But again, when I say work the system, the worse you beat a team, the better it's going to impact you in the numbers. And the fact that you went on the road in one by twenty five last night, it jumped you up from twenty nine to now twenty five in the kin Pom.
Speaker 5: So you know, beating Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: By twenty, beating Florida State by twenty easier said than done. And it won't make me change sort of how good I think this team is. It'll really just be me looking at this group doing what I know they can do and really knowing what they should do. But it's going to bump them up in these numbers. And that's what you really have to because I think that's the best case scenario. If you end up just beating up on all these teams and you blow them out and you someho end up with like maybe a kin palm or a net that's in the top twenty. Who knows what that really means, because again you're beating up on bad teams. But hey, if it gives you a good seed, maybe a better seed than we ever thought, then I'll take it. I will absolutely take it all. Right, before we get to our first break, let me set the table for you, guys. We've got a lot to get into today, including a real issue. If you're somebody like myself who has YouTube TV, there is a paramount dispute between Paramount and YouTube TV. Paramount, of course, is over top of CBS, the Turner Networks, meaning March madness. If they don't get this thing fixed within the next month, and you rely on your YouTube TV subscription to watch channels that are gonna have instead of tournament games, you may need to find a different strategy. Also, I'm a little late to this, but Carl Ravitch a legendary and I mean and he's a phenomenal ESPN announcer does does a great job.
Speaker 5: He had the biggest, one of the biggest.
Speaker 4: Goofs you'll hear live on a broadcast a couple of nights ago. And as somebody who says a lot of dumb stuff at times, I mean, I've made a fool of myself many times on these airwaves in front of a microphone. So I try to not be as judgmental towards people who you know, may have a goof and say something that makes them sound really stupid. He did it, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now he's doubling down as if like he was trying to make a joke. And I want you guys to hear it. And we got we gotta, we got to talk about it. Also, we now know which UFL players are going to be invited to the NFL Draft Combine. Got to be one of the bigger turnouts for Louisville at the Combine than than we've had in quite some time. And I call that the Bram effect. I'm being honest with you. And then who knows what else we'll get into. It's a Thursday. We're gonna have some fun looking forward to the rest of these two and a half hours or so, So stick around. If you want to join us on the show, you can. Five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want a text in, it's Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. It's Coffee and Company, Fuel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: All right, it is three point thirty here on a Thursday afternoon, February the thirteenth, meaning we're one day away from Valentine today. I stopped in uh To, just down the street here, the end of the at the end of the block. I got a Monster Energy drink at I always get it. Is it Walgreens or CVS. I don't know which one it is.
Speaker 2: The one that's right here, Yeah, next our work, that's CVS.
Speaker 4: Sounds right, yes, So I got my not a full blown Walgeren, I got myself a Monster Energy drink. And I was in there and man, a lot of fellas in the card aisle looking for Valentine's Day cards. Yeah, slim pickens, Sha, yep, slim pickens. I mean, I guess it's better to be there today than tomorrow, but not a whole lot of good cards to pick from. So you know, if you've waited this long, I think it's safe to say you actually have procrastinated. But hey, you still got some time because tomorrow those shelves will be even more empty when it comes to Valentine's Day cards. And I don't I don't want to act like I'm trying to tell anybody that if they if Valentine's Day's your favorite holiday, then you do you you have fun. I mean, if President's Day on Monday's your favorite holiday, live it up like I just I don't quite understand those who are, I guess in a situation somewhat similar to mine. I've been with my wife for a long long time. We've been married for coming up in May, it'll be fourteen years. We've been together for gosh, nineteen years. So every day is Valentine's Day. I hope she's listening. Mm hmm. But if you so, like who is most excited about Valentine's Day annually, it's got to be women who get like pampered, right, who get like a really big gift. Yeah, and that's cool. I would probably be excited too if I was in your shoes in a different life. But I feel really really out of the loop. I guess in the minority because every restaurant chain or you know, upscale in town here in Kentuckyana area, they're going to be completely full tomorrow reservations that are like so clearly people do it big on Valentine's Day, So I guess the fact that we don't we're the ones that you know that are in the minority. But anyways, with the Valentine's Day theme, we're just a day away. I saw a list that was from Let's see It's either USA Today or from Talker that listed like terrible Valentine's Day dates for people and one it made me realize more so just how I guess rare my situation is to where I've been out of the game a long time. I've been with my wife since we were finishing high school, so you know, I've not gone on a date with any other person. In fact, could you even call it a date if I took somebody out when I was sixteen? I mean, I guess you could. You know, Like, I'm not even not even an adult at the time. When I told people I was going on a date, they probably just laughed and thought it was cute and didn't really think.
Speaker 5: It was a real date.
Speaker 4: So but the list of stories from folks out there that I guess have just had a much different life than me, to where they've dated different people, They've been casual with somebody and then said, hey, it's Valentine's Day, Let's go on a date and be Valentine's even if we're not like officials. So there was a long list of stories of horror stories about bad dates, and I don't I don't really have any. In fact, it made me remember the worst date I ever had, and it wasn't really like a nightmare experience. But this was whenever I was seventeen. It was actually probably a few months before my wife and I who of course we weren't married. Then we became an item. But I ended up taking a girl to dinner and she kind of like asked me out, if that makes sense. Like we were like I wasn't really pursuing her, and I guess she really wasn't pursuing me, but she was like, you know, we should go out to dinner instead of just you know, texting and hanging out at school. She was like, we should go to dinner, and I'm like, okay, cool. She was year younger than me. I had my license, she didn't yet. So I picked her up and it was when I picked her up on the way there that I realized, all right, she doesn't mean she's kind of she's kind of into this more than I was anticipating to where this is. This is a date to her, and you know, technically she asked me out and I said, yes.
Speaker 5: Well, at the time, I didn't have a job.
Speaker 4: I was sixteen. The only money I had was like money my parents gave me for gas or I would I would allowance. Now I didn't get allowance, but we we had to give my mom to Like I never needed money for anything because if I wasn't, like I mean, if as a teenager, for me, I was either needing money to really just to get gas and put fuel in my car, because if I didn't have you know, a few bucks here and there to go to McDonald's, like I would just go home and eat, you know what I mean, Like I don't I think that that time, I didn't even have a wallet yet. I just had a license because other than that, I didn't I mean at that age in two thousand and five, two thousand and four, whatever it was, I mean, it was a different time. So I was on my way there and you know, I realized, okay's she's she's more so into this than I am. And I thought, Okay, that's kind of cool, Like she must be into me. And I didn't really have the ability to pick up on those vibes ahead of time, so we ended up getting to where we were going, a real romantic place. It's actually a place we talked about yesterday Hooters.
Speaker 5: Hooters used to do a like wings Wednesday thing. Do you remember that at all?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 4: They used to have like a I think it might've been like all you can eat wings, which certainly you couldn't do now because you know, wings.
Speaker 2: Some sort of wing special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm I think it was all you can eat wings, And it was a time where you would you would pay a certain amount and they keep bringing them to you and you could eat as much as you want, and if you ate a certain amount, like they put your picture on the wall.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 4: This was a different Hooters era than probably you were used to. This was Hooters before I was even old enough to like drink.
Speaker 2: Hooters was in their bag.
Speaker 4: Yeah they were, they were, you know, and it was a anytime you mix in like competition where men can be competitive, like they're like it works right, Like Hooters alone is a pretty appealing place for dudes, right well, if you throw in like where you can, you can you can really compete and you can really make a name for yourself by eating a one hundred chicken wings in one sitting. Probably not the look you think it is, but probably you know, as they say now, probably not the lets you think it is.
Speaker 2: But challenge accepted.
Speaker 4: But people would go do it. And uh it's also like, you know, have you ever wondered why you go to certain bars or restaurants, sports bars and you see that that uh that game that has the the boxing punching bag that falls down and you can hit it. Like I've never once participated in that, would never would never want to be because I don't think I would be very good at it. But you know why those are everywhere because dudes want to show off that they're strong, even if they may look like a complete toolbox. They don't care. If they can flex and look like a tough guy, they're going to do it. So those things are probably up everywhere because they probably make a lot of money. So anyways, Hooters was was doing that at the time, So I think she asked if if I wanted to go to dinner, and I recommended Hooters, and I guess she was just smitten to be going on a day with me.
Speaker 5: That she said, yes, of course, so we get there.
Speaker 4: I'm more so thinking it's like a social thing where it's like all of us, like all of my friends. And there was a big table of all my high school friends and a few women there. Women, a few girls. I guess they're, you know, talking like sixteen seventeen year old girls here. So I just assume we're gonna go sit with all them. And then she says, no, let's just get our table. So we ended up and I kind of looked at her like why would we do that? But then sure enough we ended up sitting down, got a table for ourselves, and I think I got water. I don't know what she got, and I ordered wings. She ordered wings, and I had I had a ten dollar bill. It's all I had, so like and that and by the way, back then you could get that you partended for ten dollars. I could, I could get water, and I could get whatever wings I got, and it would be under ten dollars to where I would leave like probably a twenty percent tip, to be honest with you, things were a lot more. Things were a lot cheaper at that time, So it didn't hit me until we got a bill that they put it on one per her request.
Speaker 5: I did not have enough money to pay for both of us.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 5: I didn't have a debit card, I have a job.
Speaker 3: It was sixteen out of ten dollars bill.
Speaker 2: So what happened?
Speaker 4: She said, are you not paying for me? And I said I don't. I have ten dollars And she was like, but you're not paying for me? And I said, I don't have the money to pay for you. I didn't realize this was a date. And then that's where I made a mistake to her. I mean, I was just telling the truth and she didn't like that. Yeah, and she, you know, she got very very sour, oh, and asked like what and this is this is just me. You know, I don't really regret saying what I said because it was the truth. But I didn't have like the awareness at that time to know that what I was going to say would probably be I guess, rude to her and may may hurt her feelings. But when she says like, I don't know, she asked like, what are we going to do? And I said I don't know. I said, I know what I'm gonna do. I'm not sure what you're going to do it. And I think at that point she knew at that I think at that point it was quite clear to her that I was not viewing this as the same situation as she was. So I mean, I and again this makes me feel like an a hole now, but I mean I was young and you know, naive, and it.
Speaker 5: Really wasn't my problem. I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was never any indication that I was going to pay, I mean, pay for you for dinner when you asked me out. In fact, I should be the one with no money, you know, you should be the one paying for me. Yeah, well she asked, Yeah, she asked, so you know, and and she was, Here's what makes it weird, and I'm getting a little too personal here. She was, she was, She was a big hit, if you know what I mean. But she used to date one of my best friends. So to me, there was never going to be a scenario where I ever viewed it as anything other than friends. But clearly she was, you know, she had a different different either she had a different idea or she maybe wanted to make her ex my friend jealous. But they'd been separated for a while, where I don't think that was the case. So she ended up going to that table that I that that was there with a lot of our friends from school, some of my teammates from from from basketball, and they ended up having some extra money to where she could pay for it. And then I took her home and then I never talked to her again.
Speaker 2: Wow, she went on a date with you and the homies basically.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean she uh, but I guess it was probably I don't know. I think she felt like I should be embarrassed, but I wasn't. And yet I don't think she was. You know, it was just a stupid kids kind of thing. But again, here I am no joke. This was twenty one years ago. Here I am as you know, a little bit more mature, a little bit wiser.
Speaker 5: I didn't do.
Speaker 4: Anything wrong, right, Like, it stands in my mind as the worst date experience I've ever had, But like, I don't think any of it.
Speaker 2: Was my doing. That's that's pretty great.
Speaker 5: What's the worst that you've ever been on?
Speaker 2: It was definitely duran. I'd probably say about maybe ten years ago, probably like when I first moved here, and.
Speaker 4: Now before you dive in, is this is like when I ask you that question. Was there no hesitation, you know exactly where you're going with it?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, just making.
Speaker 2: Sure so and this was obviously this was a tender girl, like one of those online any sect and you know, she's pretty attractive from what I can't remember. But we ended up going out or I ended up picking her up, and I I was just young, dumb and full of you know what. So like I was just I was sloking for yeah, young dumb and full of fun.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And you know I was only after one thing. I'm just trying to chase some tail at this age. So it was right when I moved here.
Speaker 5: God bless you, young man.
Speaker 2: And I pull up to her apartment and I'm like, okay, like which one is your your room? I'll come and pick you up or whatnot, and she's she calls me on the phone. She's like, well, why don't you guess? And I'm like, why don't I guess? There's like fifteen different Yes, I want to play this game. Here's what I do. I young, dumb and full of fun. I'm going around, I'm knock going like three different doors, embarrassing myself and that's not her. And then She's like, she calls me back, stuck her head out the door, and it's like right down, right down the hallway. She's like, it's me right here.
Speaker 5: So she thought that was funny.
Speaker 2: I guess so.
Speaker 5: And it's the stupidest thing never heard.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, I was stupid back, and I still am stupid. But I was one thing in mind. Dude, right, yeah, we'll say that, and then I pick her up, and all she can get in my car. All she could do was complain about how hungry she is. As we're driving down. It was like Shelbyville Road. We're looking for somewhere in Saint Matthew's. I didn't have the exuberant tasting food that I do now, so I was only looking for like chain restaurants. There's like an outback steakhouse. Yeah, oh dude, I was. I was suggesting, what about here?
Speaker 5: What about you?
Speaker 2: She was just no, no, no. And then meanwhile, after's every three things that I said, shutting everything down. I'm just really hungry. Can you pick something? I'm like, all right, cool, we're going to Texas Roadhouse. And so we get the Texas Roadhouse. I'll mean, Dan, she's going to talk down about roadhouse exactly. Once again, I should have known. I should have known, but I remember sitting there in this a lot of red flags from the jump. Here's the biggest red flag is when and this is when I should have left. But once again, she she's sitting there looking at her phone then looking at me, just like very slightly. I mean, you could see what I'm doing, but like she was looking at her phone, just kept looking at her phone, looking back up at me. I'm like, is everything okay? She said, are you sure that this is you? And pulls up my tender profile and show me like you look different. I'm like, oh no, yeah, exactly. And I was kind of so very offended, but you know, I'm a nice guy. I continued through the whole day like a champ, and then eventually it was just so awkward. I knew it wasn't going to be a thing, but I still thought. I bought this woman's food, I picked her up. I went through this game of whose house is it? Anyway? When I first went to go pick her up, so I get back to her car or we get back to her house, and she asked, well, do you want to come in? And like I just I just I just did my laundry. Do you want to come in and help me put sheets on my bed? So I'm like, all right, here we go. I get it there that that could be taking a lot of different ways. It was, well, it was taking the way of she really needed help putting the fitted sheets.
Speaker 5: It's a tough one man job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I don't blame her. So what I do? I go in there and I helped put sheets on her bed and then I leave.
Speaker 5: Was that was it awkward?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And would she basically were you.
Speaker 5: On a hidden like TV show, like hitting camera TV show? Because this seems insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm so glad I'm out of the game.
Speaker 2: I remember, like I remember just kind of hinting and asking her. I'm like, so like, what do you want to do now? And she's like, I'm ready to go to bed if you want to leave, And I'm like, all right, I'm not here.
Speaker 4: Plus, it was and I do I know why I didn't take much time for you to remember which date you've had?
Speaker 5: That was the worst?
Speaker 2: I always bring that up, and that that was it was casty work.
Speaker 5: Let's call her on the show. See I want to know what I mean, Hey, you remember me.
Speaker 4: Both of us shared awful dates, and neither of us have any any reason for those dates being awful.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I could probably find her on Instagram. Maybe I don't know. I think I just remember her name. I think last time I looked her up was like four or five years ago, and she's extremely extremely Christian.
Speaker 4: Well, what I will say is that of all the red flags, and there were a lot of them throughout that entire evening that you just laid out for us, I should the guessing the door thing, I would have been like, oh right, like what I mean you were younger, right, I mean, it was a long time ago, but I would have been like.
Speaker 5: What are we thirteen? Like it are we ding? You want me to ding dong ditch in.
Speaker 4: Your apartment complex to have some fun? Like you know, why don't we just shot gun a beer or something to get the night going?
Speaker 5: What are we doing here?
Speaker 2: And there was no payoffs?
Speaker 4: So and at any point did you ask her to pick the restaurant? Because I see, I mean to me, that's odd, Like.
Speaker 2: No, not during like not during like the vetting process when I'm texting her, like you know what you want.
Speaker 4: To tell her you just picked someplace. I would have said, I'll go wherever you want.
Speaker 2: Sure, maybe I should have said that, but I was I was just throwing out, well, what about this place? What about this place? What about this? As we're driving down Shelbyville Road and everything that I see pop up? What about that? What about that? No? No, no, we get the Texas Roadhouse. What about that? And then we make a loop and go back down kind of towards her house and look at the restaurants again, and I'm just real hungry pick something. So what pops in my mind is Texas Roadhouse. We'd drive back up the Texas Roadhouse and it was the weirdest experience I've ever had on a date.
Speaker 4: Again, my date, I feel like, you know, I should have been a little bit more mindful that it's a thing to pay for your date. But again she asked me, and I'm poor at the time, you did nothing wrong the way you laid it out, I don't. I mean, she accused you of not being who you were, which clearly you were. She had you guessing that. I mean, this was I feel like she just messed with you, brought you in to put sheets on the bed, which could absolutely beat I mean, I don't care what her intentions were. If you ask somebody who you were on a first date with a blind date essentially where you're just meeting for the first.
Speaker 5: Time, and she thinks some of this catfish and she.
Speaker 4: Asks you to come in because she needs help with laundry, putting sheets on the bed. It's not an invitation to, you know, to knock boots, but I mean she quite literally just needed another human being to help her putts on the bed. Again, it's a tough job for one man or woman.
Speaker 2: Fitted sheets are pretty pretty bad to put on. But no, that was that was gross.
Speaker 4: I hope she has had nothing but bad dates ever since. She's the problem. Yeah, and she missed out. I mean, let's be real, it was so weird. If you're listening right now, young lady, he's he's spoken for.
Speaker 2: I think her name was Ali.
Speaker 5: She sounds like an Alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Ali, she's like a teacher. And now the last time I peeped on her thing was like years ago. Yeah. Yeah, she's like an extreme Christian now, I think, And yeah, that was that was pretty weird. But what what what tipped me off of everything was. What turned me off is when she when she accused me of the cat forting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: That was pretty often.
Speaker 4: And now that I know you the way that I do, you are somebody that would just kind of go with the flow about certain things because that's just your energy.
Speaker 5: But a lot of people would have left. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't have the stones to do that because I still thought there was pay off at the end.
Speaker 4: Because you're a well, even if there wasn't, you're still a kind person, like you're not going to blow up on somebody.
Speaker 2: Like that exactly.
Speaker 4: Again, I hope she has no Valentine tomorrow, and I hope she's miserable. That's what I hope wherever she is. We got to get to a break. We'll come back and wrap up at three o'clock hour. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: It's not even Valentine's stage just yet, but your boys already feeling loved. This is this is going to cause some issues in the home because you know, my son moves.
Speaker 5: He's four years old and he's he's the best.
Speaker 4: Well, he's at daycare and he he puts together today and tomorrow they're having some Valentine's Day festivities at daycare and he's getting to pick a Valentine and he picked me. Oh, and his mom's got to be heart broke. I mean, I look, I didn't I didn't tell him to do it. I mean, his mother's phenomenal. He couldn't have to reevaluate now. He couldn't have a better mother. But I mean, you know me and are just that just that tight?
Speaker 2: Did you get like a like a Marvel card or something, because that's what they used to do when I was in class, used to get like the uh, like all the kiddy like different cards to give out the people. Always chose like the wrestling ones to give out the people, but like there was always other like cartoon ones that had like silly little phrases on them with the little heart keep always had phrases.
Speaker 4: When I was little, and like I thought of like legitimately, like Moose doesn't know that, I mean maybe he in fact, I think he's probably been told that you know, it's not supposed to be your parents, especially your dad. Uh, he does, he doesn't care he had, He does not give a damn. He's gonna if he wants me to be as valentineers, then he's gonna that I'm gonna be as Valentine. But he's he's at the age and I think he's honestly a little bit.
Speaker 5: And again this is me talking about my child.
Speaker 4: But I feel like he's also kind of mature to where he's already like he's not like thinking it's funny and cutesy to have a little girlfriend. Like he's mad if somebody says like he likes a girl, you know what I mean? Oh yeah, I feel like usually that's a little bit later than four years old. But there's a girl on his basketball team. Her name's Savannah, and she's she's she's our second landing scorer outside of Moose, and uh, she's adorable, she's she's a lot of fun. She's a little older than him. And he tells me that he wants to pass it to Savannah. And he tells me that or he asked me, is Savannah going to beat the game? And like I can tell it's because he's crushing on her. But if I bring it up, right, he's like, no, I'm not shut up, a little embarrassed. Yeah, so yeah, but again it's it's you know, it's that's the sweet that's the sweetness of a of a young of a young young buck. But yeah, anyways, mom's not gonna be happy. And the reason I found out how I found out that he that I was that I was the Valentine for him is that at daycare, he's he's doing arts and crafts essentially, and on their app, there's an app I can check in to see like how his day's going.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: They post pictures, which I love. I could to see him with all his buddies at daycare and uh, it's just great. And he posted his picture that showed Dad's the Valentine. And I'm very very honored.
Speaker 2: Very game. Though, if you're going to crush on someone, just like give them the ball, yeah, drop drop the dime to them. Yeah, that's that's that's Risen right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, like if there's if there's one way he can express that he might be kind of, you know, crushing on a girl. If it's just him dropping dimes and putting her in a position to score to help the team win. I mean it's he can certainly do exactly that little pick and roll, exactly good stuff. She won't dribble, but man, she's actually pretty good shooters.
Speaker 2: She's up shooter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly, all right, So real quick, we don't have much time left in the three o'clock hour. But there's many jobs that are already open in the ACC. I think some that will open. One that is open, but it's not right. So what are we doing with I mean, Laren and Age already left. Leonard Hamilton's still coaching, and by the way, they won last night at Wake Forest. But Leonard Hamilton's going to be out at the end of the year. And the latest report from Sports Illustrated is that Boston Celtic's assistant coach, Sam Cassell, former Florida State basketball player, is one of the candidates for this job. And when will people learn that that's not the route to go. I mean, Mike Woodson, Kenny Payne, Patrick Ewing, Juwan Howard. People forget Chris Mullen coached at Saint John's and was terrible, Like this is so in your face not the right way to go, with countless examples not of how it didn't work out, but how it completely became a train wreck. So maybe they do that, but I hope they don't. I want the ACC to hire really good coaches, and I do think the timing is not ideal as far as like big names. But earlier today I was in the waiting room at the doctor's office, which, by the way, good bill of health sounds like I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna be here for a while.
Speaker 2: Good, let's go good bill of.
Speaker 4: Health for me today on my checkup. But I was just thinking, like if I was playing a d for the ACC, who I would go hire? And I'm gonna save this for tomorrow because I don't have it. I don't have it in front of me. But I feel like, as I was waiting impatiently to go to go back and be seen by the doc, like there are coaches that I think, given we are right now in college basketball, that have proven to be good at what they do, meaning they win as college basketball coaches. If they bring that same formula to better jobs in the ACC compared to where they are in whatever league, it could really work out. So you know, well, we'll see what they end up doing. But I am so fascinated by guys like Pope and Kelsey being able to one. I mean, look, I don't want to act like you can go get anybody and in the success level would be the same as these guys, because I don't believe that at all.
Speaker 5: But I think if you've got.
Speaker 4: A job with good resources and you care about winning in basketball to where you're gonna put a coach in a good position to be successful, you can go get a guy who is not a big name, maybe a guy that your fans had never heard of. But if they win and you and you know you interview them, you'vet the process like you could, you know, I think that's the way to go these days.
Speaker 3: They really do.
Speaker 4: All right, we got we got to run way late for a break two hours left right here on Sports Talk seven ninety