Speaker 1: Bill cunning in the Great America. Welcome this wonderful, good Friday afternoon in the tri State. Windy conditions exist and it's going to rain over the weekend. We'll see what happens there. Reds Baseball kicks off at six oh five to night life in Baltimore. Three in Baltimore, three in Miami than three in Denver. The temperatures last night in Denver was twenty eight degrees with four inches of snow. Hopefully, when the Reds get there might be in better shape. But until then we have more important issues percolat And by the way, the Reds lost yesterday was devastating, absolutely devastating. But that's the funny pages of life compared to life and death. And once again we have a serious situation that happened on the main streets of Cincinnati. And this is only April. One can only imagine June, July, and August what's going to transpire. And I watched a couple of nights ago with the FOP ahead Ken Kober, who's been with police about thirty years and he's seen it all and done it all about what happened on Short Vine involving Kyle Muick, who was murdered. It was an armed robbery that went bad, as if some can go good. But the fifteen year old involved in that case in an extensive history with the juvenile court system under Judge Kerry Bloom in which there were repeated attempts. This is a fifteen year old who should be a freshman in high school committing numerous armed robberies and other offenses, cutting off ankle, monitors, etc. And the system never addressed it. And Ken Kober, the head of the FOP, welcome again to the bill cunning him show so Ken, first of all, tell the American people may not be aware of the circumstances of the murder of Kyle Murick on Shortvine near the UC campus a few nights ago.
Speaker 2: Hi, Billy, Yeah, thanks for having me. It was absolutely a senseless murder that never should have happened. The suspect fifteen years old that was just accused and had been recently locked up of shooting another person or shooting at a person and at a house in late November. This person had been locked up and then they just side of, well, you know, maybe he's going to be okay. We'll let him out and put him on electronic monitoring. And then April second, just days before the shooting, they terminated his EMU and said, no, we're just going to let you roam three around the streets of Cincinnati. And of course this is the end result something that should have been prevented.
Speaker 1: And you said that the Hamilton County Juvenile court system did not address repeated attempts to put himself in prison. In fact, there were numerous, and I would imagine Judge Carrie Bloom is going to raise her ugly head again relative to giving these juvenile murderers more chances. So as far as shooting at the house, so as I understand that he was charged with many offenses, only a few of which he was actually apprehended for in which he connected arm robberies. This is like a freshman in high school going on for years. One might ask for is the father. That's a different issue. But can you give any meat to the bones about simply this kid, this fifteen year old shooting at a house in November. Why?
Speaker 2: Pretty much because he's out of control. I mean, he has more, he had more charges signed against him than he has years on this earth. And you started with stealing a car and running from the police. I mean, who didn't see that this pattern was going to escalate? And then of course it leads to he's over in Norwood, shoots at somebody, bullets go through a house, he gets locked up for that, and then let's ride out. I mean, this is a pattern that we see all the time. Kids start with your minor crimes, they're not held accountable, and then what are they going to do. They're just going to continue to escalate and escalate and escalate, and that's what has been done in this situation.
Speaker 1: Do you have some idea how old he was when he first committed serious felonies. He's fifteen years old. Now he's finally charged with murder. That might be plied down at some point. Who knows if he's going to be bound over that's another issue. But nonetheless, when did he start his crime spree.
Speaker 2: Well, they didn't start even charging him criminally until he was thirteen, So between thirteen and fourteen, he's stealing cars, you're committing felonies. And of course now it leads to this this incident that I said, it just should not have ever happened, never should have been there to be able to do this.
Speaker 1: So under thirteen. If you're like nine, ten or eleven committing serious felonies, that doesn't even arise to the level of arresting them. And what do you do with the ten years?
Speaker 2: What do you do with a ten year old? Well that's the problem, you know, is there becomes the how culpable is a nine or ten year old? And I think every situation is different, you know, but what we're seeing is it's not necessarily the nine, ten and eleven year olds. They're they're acting out and they're showing behaviors that are eventually going to be criminal, but it's typically not until they're the twelve, thirteen, fourteen years is when they when they really you know, have have their criminal uh pursuit in.
Speaker 1: High drives And in fact, Ken Kobert, we cannot give out his name because that would be considered improper correct, you can't say who it is. Yeah, that's unkind, that's no good, that's unkind.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Kyle Muhrick was simply at Short Vine. I've been there once or twice by Bogarts. He was on cell phone. The video seems to indicate that Kyle Murich was simply enjoying a rare weather good night and he was simply there on his phone and take us through the video on what it showed.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's standing there clearly, whether it's checking a text message or sending a text message, only to have a gun shoved in his stomach. He immediately reacts, tries to run away from the situation to get out of it, and in the meantime he ends up getting shot a couple times, and he ends up being able to retrieve his legally owned firearm and return fire trying to defend himself.
Speaker 1: And he didn't know it, but he was dead man walking. He continued to run away a little bit until the bullets took effect. And did this fifteen year old perpetrator? Was he shot?
Speaker 2: It's my understanding he did take a couple bullets.
Speaker 1: Yes, but he's doing okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he should be now at twenty twenty. Now how long we don't know, but mind understanding. He's been released from the hospital and he is in cuss at least for the interim you know, over twenty twenty on Auburn Avenue.
Speaker 1: And as you know, when you're seventeen years old, you should be bound over as an adult. Committing adult crime means adult time. But is there some question in your mind whether the charge is going to be reduced we have a brand new prosecutor, and whether he's actually going to face adult time for these crimes or not.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's interesting because we just had this last summer of sixteen, seventeen year old kid that shot at a policeman was charged as an adult, went through the hearing through juvenile court and they denied it. So I don't have a ton of hope that this kid's going to get tried as an adult, because if you're they're going to allow somebody to shoot at a policeman, I don't. I don't have a whole lot of hope that they're going to bind this kid over. They should, but that's still yet to be seen.
Speaker 1: And Judge Carrie Bloom remains the administrative judge and juvenile Court. He's in charge of what happens. And I went through this a long time with Melissa Powers and Joe Deeters that if they're in or eighteen, they do not have the power, the ability, the legalities to reach into juvenile court and grab the case and put it in an adult court is up to the juvenile court judge and if the juvenile court Judge Carry Bloom does not want to do it. And when you have a teenage boy shooting at police, trying to murder police officers, the future likely is not bright. And Judge Carrie Bloom in those cases do not bind over.
Speaker 2: Correct, That's correct? Yeah, Like I said, the juvenile court has the sole discretion. They have a hearing. It's go to bind overhearing where the prosecutor's office will present all their evidence. They will argue why these kids have you should be held responsible as adults for these heinous crimes. But ultimately it falls on the juvenile court judge to decide whether they want to allow that or not.
Speaker 1: And in this case, is Judge Carrie Bloom going to have this case again and again and again or is she going to give it to someone else.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna see if that's going to happen. My understanding, and I'm waiting. I'm going to do some public record. My understanding is that she either has or is going to recuse herself in this case. But I've got to going to do some records your quest to confirm that.
Speaker 1: As far as the guy, the teenager, the teenage boy that shot at the police. You know where he is now? Now, this is attempted murder of a police officer. If successful, we would have a Sunny Kim situation. But where is the kid that shot at the cop who was not bound over to adult court?
Speaker 2: Do you know? I think it's still going through the process. I don't know whether he's locked up or not. I know he was at the time last summer, but I would be shocked if he was.
Speaker 1: Still locked up, because you don't lock him up for a year. You don't lock him up, You let him go in an ankle monitor, which, as you know, is not exactly much of a punishment. So that this is a teenage boy who tried to murder an in uniform Cincinnati police officer, and I would think the victim's got to be notified. Is there any law that requires the juvenile court system under Kerry Bloom to notify the police officer that the guy, a teenage boy that tried to murder him is now free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's under Marcy's law they have to do some of these things. But that's a whole other issue we've discovered with Marcy's Law. But there's there's gonna be some things going on. I sat on the Supreme Court headed Juvenile Reform task force that I was part of, and I think those recommendations are going to be in front of the General Assembly here as soon as they get done with the budget in the state and hopefully hold these judges more accountable with certain things such as Marcy's.
Speaker 1: Law and the other thing that the boy that shot at the end uniform police officer did he have, I assume made a previous record.
Speaker 2: He was on a forty eight hour crime spree where he committed twelve different Fallonty offenses, including armed robbery, carjacking. I mean, you name it was. That was a forty eight hour period that all came to head when he shot at a police officer.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to Benjamin Addison was a twenty one year old UC student who did everything right, had go grades. He was a mentor to incoming freshman. He worked one or two part time jobs to help his parents pay for his education at UC. He's in Mount Auburn. He sees the lights of his car on I think it was a hun day. He's thinking, Okay, someone's going to car jack me. He goes out and sadly he confronts Justin Dugan at that point was seventeen years old. And one thing led to another, and Benjin and Benjamin Addison was murdered in cold blood in Mount Alburn, a u SE student by Justin Dugan. We couldn't give out his name until recently, and the powers that be in how Many County Prosecutor's office decided to reduce the charges against Justin Dugan the seventeen year old is now eighteen years old, and to allow him to plead guilty to lesser charges. And there was in a great sentence of twenty one years as opposed to a murder which is fifteen to life, and normally fifteen to life means basically.
Speaker 2: What they're going to be there for life.
Speaker 1: At least fifteen to life gives you a chance at keeping him for a long time, I mean, especially with a gun speck. But the powers would be in the Prosecutor's office said, you know what, let's reduce the charges on this. What's your feeling about that?
Speaker 2: Well, I've got two one. I mean, this is another juvenile that committed just an absolute senseless crime for a young man that had just a bright future ahead of him. That's now gone because of these just out of control juveniles. But without knowing all of the particulars of the case, and you know, he got sentenced to twenty one years. I don't know what conversation the prosecutor's office had with the victims family with the police. You know, I'm glad to see you got twenty one years, but yeah, of course we would like to see him locked up forever. Yeah, but you know, I heard some of the comments that the prosecutor's office has made about you know, there's always a risk, and there is a risk when you go to trial. There's a risk that they get found not guilty. There's a risk that there's a hung jury. But in my case, in this case, and not knowing what the victim's family thought, it's the victim's family wanted him to go to life, you know, go to prison for life, and that was the chance that they were willing to take, and in my opinion, that's what they should have done. But I don't know whether or not that conversation occurred.
Speaker 1: Well, according to media accounts, County pillage To prosecutor held a news conference and said that there's a risk of going to trial, which is you might be found not guilty. Also, lots of work to go through a trial, go through the appeal. It's going to be a three to five year process. But I spoke to a recent Hamley County prosecutor who must go nameless, who said, in these cases, when you have clear and convincing proof that the murder took place, and you have the person that did it, and you have overwhelming evidence that Dugan's responsible, the only way to reduce charges would be if the family requested it. If the mother and father of Benjamin Addison had said in the prosecutor's off his look, we don't want to go through the trial. We've suffered enough. We're willing to take twenty one years as opposed to thirty five to forty years because we want to put this behind us. That's when you reduce the charge, because you want to make sure he's in prison for a long time. But that this former prosecutor said to me, you don't reduce charges on a murder case arm robbery with this justin Dugan character that's committed numerous offenses over his life, that armed robbery was his business, when the family is adamantly opposed to it. In fact, I can recall the sobbing of his father thinking that this kid's going to be out of jail and when he's thirty seven or thirty eight years old, and the animal that crawls out of Lucasville and when he's thirty seven thirty eight years old is not going to be a rhad scholar. He's going to go back to the business that he knew. So this former prosecutor said to me, you don't reduce charges when the family's adamant against it. You have a clear case, and you risk it times you're you don't roll the dice. Maybe in today's world you rolled the dice. But to have twelve jurors from Hamlety County finding Justin Dugan not guilty of this case when the evidence is overwhelming of guilt is ridiculous. It is what this former prosecutor told me. Do I make any sense to you?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? You know, if you got you got a victim family saying no, we want to go to trial, we want him to be held accountable for as long as he can, then that's what you have to do, you know. And the one thing that struck me as odd that you said was you know that the prosecutor's office said, well, you know this, this is a lot of time and a lot of work. Yeah, I don't think you can put I don't think you can put a value on time or work for a victim's family that has had to suffer the loss that the Addison family has had to suffer.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a new prosecutor in town now. Lastly, this morning, Scott Sloan had on a council member, Scotty Johnson. And Scotty Johnson I have respect for him because he's a police officer on council now, spent like twenty five or thirty years, and Scotty Johnson has a few lucid moments these days. He is a liberal Democrat, not a lot, but I still respect him because of his service to the city. And he made the comments that at these youth football games in which shootings take place, that the core of that are the fathers, so to speak, of these nine year old boys in uniform betting three to five thousand dollars on the outcome of games. And I'm listening to this and I'm thinking of youth football leagues shots fired. I think one was at Wanning Hills High School and others in which the father's on the sideline, like rolling dice betting on their son's football scores. And I'm thinking, well, at least his father's involvement in the kid's life, which often doesn't happen today. But this is the wrong kind of involvement. If we got to a point now, Ken Kober of the FOP, when we have to have metal detectors and armed police officers are youth football games to keep the shootings to a minimum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's the unfortunate reality. And you wonder what these it's turned fourteen or fifteen, where they get it from. They get it from their parents, they see. I mean, this is a perfect example of this kind of nonsense that's going on that leads to violence. I remember several years ago there was a shooting at a peace Bowl where kids were playing youth football in Avondale, trying to advocate for peace, and there was a shooting. The society has just gone terribly wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't know how we correct it. You have a juvenile court judge in the system that want to hold vicious criminals accountable. We have a new prosecutor's office that breaks down the charges of murderers. And now we have a city council and we're talking about metal detectors at nine year old football games and it's April.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we had a ballwark against this kind of stuff when you had a prosecutor's office said not on my watch. And sometimes this former prosecutor said to me, you got to try the case. You got to say, well, you know, we might lose, but I'd rather have justice delayed. We'll catch them the next time on a hung jerry, We'll try them again, but we're not going to reduce charges just to save us a lot of work when the family is adamant against it, and be Benjamin Addison is dead and Justin dug is going to be walking around our community in the next seventeen or eighteen years. You get ten to fifteen percent good time, so he'll be out in seventeen or eighteen years, and the Addison family is devastated. To me, that's not justice. Well, Ken Kober, let's keep the lines of communication open and we get we have the government we deserve, and your vote makes a difference. And when this stuff goes on, if people keep electing Judge Carry Bloom and juvenile court who is a liberal social activist with a black robe on freeing these murderers and criminals and rapists to commit more crime. I can recall she released a fifteen year old boy who raped a thirteen year old boy because he had to get some counseling. That the rapists had to get some counseling and had to write a book report saying how sorry he was raping a thirteen year old boy by a fifteen year old boy. And that's where we are. But once again, Ken Cober, thanks for coming on and continues to have a good Friday and we'll see what happens down the road. And Ken Kober, who's the CEO of the FOP, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. Thank you again.
Speaker 2: Sure, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Bill, have a good weekend. God bless you. We have the government we deserve. Bill Cunningham News Radio seven hundred WULW