Speaker 1: Podcasts are real, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Take me back to the place sign know, with the Mystery Shack and the forest Gnomes. I'm already back, so come on, let's go. Don't get me started. My heart's in gravity faults.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Mystery Shack, Look Back, Look Back. A nostalgic time capsule and very spoiler filled interview. I'm your fandom scholar, Abby Kirby, and today I would like to show you our new exhibit. Here behold, it's our beloved curators, Charlotte, Ella and Shelby.
Speaker 1: Help us.
Speaker 3: Oh hush, it's not that bad.
Speaker 4: It's pretty bad. It's just one glass case for the three of us.
Speaker 5: It's hot in here, yeah, could you have installed an air conditioner in the glass case at the very least? Or a refrigerator, a magic refrigerator.
Speaker 4: This is serious, This is an emergency. We are being held captive in our own podcast museum. Please send help, send the McElroy, send anybody.
Speaker 3: Today I'm going to be interviewing our beloved curators to find out exactly what it takes to make a podcast and what exactly is a curator. When we're talking about fandom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, sure, sure, yeah, yeah I could. I could go with the with taking my mind off of off of the situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: Talking helps to satiate the hunger.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, wait no, that's not true. Talking absolutely burnes galleries.
Speaker 5: Yes, but you don't think about it while you're doing it.
Speaker 1: I guess so.
Speaker 3: But you know what does satiate the hunger knowledge? We're gonna learn so much about how fandom works today through the eyes of everyday people who live, breathe, and possibly sweat fandom.
Speaker 5: A lot of sweating, not a whole lot of breathing in here, very stinky over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So this is the five year anniversary of Mystery Shack look Back. Will you talk me through where the idea for this podcast came from the setup and exactly why did you start this project?
Speaker 1: As with all good aught, the title came to us before anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember GMing you that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had Mystery Shack look Back kicking around in your head. You liked the rhyme that we actually tried to do this podcast in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: It was twenty eighteen, yep, two.
Speaker 1: Years after Gravity Falls ended, but that format was more based on Everything's Coming Up Podcast? What does it called?
Speaker 4: Formerly? I think it was Everything's Coming Up Podcast, and then they changed the title to Everything's Coming Up Simpsons, which is a fantastic podcast about Simpsons.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was at the time the version that we did because it was just coming off the heels of the show ending. It was missing the nostalgic part of nostalgic time capsule. I think we actually weren't doing no spoiler either.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 4: It was relatively new at the time to be looking at these episodes with the benefit of knowing everything that we then knew that was. That was kind of novel at the time to be like, wow, now we know all the secrets, let's go back and watch the older episode.
Speaker 1: Everything's Coming Up Simpsons. Of course, Alex Hirsch guested on the first episode of the premise of that podcast is more, let's talk about a Simpsons episode that's really meaningful to you, because there are so many Simpsons episodes and it really is specific to the person, which burrowed in their brain harder than any others. There are forty episodes of gravity Falls, and I don't think that was quite the way to re examine this show no, and there.
Speaker 4: Were seeds of what became the show that we have now, because I remember we had a segment where was like, okay, so where were you when you first saw this? We were getting to the actual interesting part of the podcast. We hadn't quite nailed it. But I think we recorded like three episodes or two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we recorded three and released two.
Speaker 4: Maybe there somewhere. I don't think there anywhere anymore.
Speaker 5: I hope not everybody was sis at the time. It was very uncomfort gribble to go back to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was in vogue to be sizz back then. We don't really it was. It's true, it's very passe nowadays.
Speaker 1: So around Thanksgiving twenty twenty, I guested on a podcast called come On Forukuapods, a Homestar Runer podcast, and I kind of didn't want to leave. What's fascinating about come On Fuqua POD's homestow on a podcast is it does cover the show in release order, which is possibly the worst way to watch Homestar Runner because it took about a year for Matt to figure out how to voice act and Mike to figure out how to anime of.
Speaker 4: The chatman fame. Yeah, if you haven't, if this is your first episode of the podcast that you're listening to, right, unlikely but possible.
Speaker 1: And I'd never even thought about watching Homestar Runner and release order. That's never been my approach to it. And what was fat fascinating was Michael William Hunter did all of the research and just brought in David and Alexa just when they were ready to record. They just popped in. They didn't have to do any pre preparation.
Speaker 4: Alexa who had never seen any of them.
Speaker 1: Right, and Alexa had never seen any of them. So there was a segment called Hey Alexa, what do you think of this? Where Alexa reacts to these cartoons for the first time from the fresh Eyes. But also David hadn't really David Spencer hadn't really watched Homestar Runners since it was a meme since like two thousand and two, two thousand and three, two thousand and four, so he doesn't really remember what's a running gag and what just comes up once. And what was fascinating to me because there's no plot at Homestore Runner, there's no real such thing as spoilers. But Michael was so committed, thank you sugar glider.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that was muffin.
Speaker 4: That's a great that's a sailient point. Actually, I'm glad somebody brought that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for those of you wondering, the sugar glider is in the glass with our curators. Yeah. I had to bring my children with me. I only brought the things. I thought I would have.
Speaker 4: Lost my mind if not for these wonderful creatures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they love giving kisses.
Speaker 1: It's true. Yeah, this is a lot easier with emotional support animals, I will say.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But despite the fact that there are no real spoilers in Homestar, Michael was so committed to making sure guests didn't reveal too much about cartoons that David didn't remember or hadn't seen yet, and that kind of stuck in my brain. Is something interesting. And around the same time, I was listening to Talking Futurama on the Talking Simpsons Patreon feed, and they have a segment called what Happened this day in Real World History where they kind of set the scene for where this episode aired by saying, like, what was the number one movie in theaters? What were the big international news at the time, And it really helped me in a way that I'd never really thought of to understand these Futurama episodes, because Futurama is political satire in a lot of ways. It is what if the future sucked as much as Right Now did in all the same ways.
Speaker 4: Right first show set in the future, there were very contemporary references to when it was coming out.
Speaker 1: And so knowing when it came out really kind of helps you understand it, and that's why that segment was so useful. And then also there's a Tumblr blog called Heritage Post, which you know Tumblr used to be this big juggernaut of social media. Then it's not really anymore. There's not as many people using it. You can't really get a thousand notes by just saying something funny enough like he used to be able to. So Heritage Post was like about preserving the time when Tumblr was consistently active and the posts that were important to the community at the.
Speaker 4: Time, and spinning off into larger means as well outside of tumblrm But.
Speaker 1: More than these three ideas separately, I was more thinking, how do I get back on combad for Hooker Pot as soon as possible. Yeah, I realized that if I had a show on the network, one and I could just steal their format, but two they would probably let me guess to promote the podcast, which did wind up happening.
Speaker 4: So you developed this this Nathan Fielder style, the plan get my own, make my own.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah? Yeah, and Charlotte for you. Yeah. I wanted to make a come on Pots adjacent podcast so that I could guess on kub on.
Speaker 4: That was my goal, which like in this weird like meta textual way, the fact that our podcast about gravity Falls, which is a show that was influenced by Alex Hirsch's love of the Simpsons and Homestar Runner, was influenced by our love of podcasts about the Simpsons and Home Star Runner, and you know Futurama being adjacent to the Simpsons being spun off of the Simpsons feed as well.
Speaker 1: I messaged Ella, who was in senior year of college at the time. This was around semba of twenty twenty, I believe, a month after guests to come out buk Pods, and I was like, let's start up mister a shack look back again from the beginning, but this time one as trans people and two.
Speaker 4: As out trans people. I suppose we could say.
Speaker 1: Two as a a fandom time capsule and uh nostalgic nostalgic time capsule. Yeah, as a fandom museum.
Speaker 4: Basically, well, whatever we said, you know that thing, that thing we always.
Speaker 1: Say, Yeah, who can remember? It's not like we've said it fifty three times?
Speaker 4: Who can remember? I'm losing brain cells in this glass box as we speak.
Speaker 3: So what you're saying is the secret to a good podcast is caring about the Simpsons and being trans Yes.
Speaker 4: That's just light.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's a fantastic.
Speaker 4: Point, absolutely, because I mean I feel like the thing with most podcasts is that, and I'm I've done this as well. You know, you go for like five or so episodes and then you struggle to find the time and the energy. But if there's anything that I could keep up the energy to see through and is contained enough relatively of a series to do in completion, it would be grabbed me false. So I was like, okay, that's the motive, right, if we're talking about this in terms of a murder.
Speaker 1: The opportunity, Yeah, you were busy with the senior Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well the opportunity was, yes, busy with senior year, but also this being twenty twenty, I can't remember at this point. I just know that a thing was happening that gave me a lot of time at home and not much going on outside of the home. I don't remember what it was again, because I'm losing brain cells as we speak. Who could remember. It's probably over now, right, it's probably done. We don't have to worry about it. It doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: If it's not. Staying behind glass is a good way to avoid it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure, yeah, you're probably right. But yeah that so then there's the opportunity, right, is that it was the perfect storm of at least on my end, you.
Speaker 1: Had to finish senior year, which meant we had five or six months of just texting each other ideas for the podcast, which is why when it started it was like a fully formed idea, which is not how most podcasts start. Most podcasts start with just let's record and see what happens and figure out the format as we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so we have the promise of an idea. But I think that planning stage is that where you got Shelby in on things.
Speaker 1: So Shelby did the research with me for the first episode because Ella was finishing up school, and so Shelby has kind of always been a presence on this podcast. As soon as Shelby started guesting, we started saying, like, you're kind of the third curator, but this was a weekly released podcast.
Speaker 4: And then you literally became the third curator, and in my you know, retroactively, you always were.
Speaker 1: Like that was kind of how we talked about Shelby and the guest spot. In their second appearance, we introduced to them as a curocent. Yeah, Shelby just was working a full time job and Ella and I was stuck inside.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I also think I moved four times during the lifetime of the podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was I was a little busy.
Speaker 4: That would do it. Yeah, that would do it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take a moment here and I'm going to talk at you guys, just so that I don't get stagnant.
Speaker 4: Please do We're flogging up the glass with our breath and when it's causing us to choke on carbon dioxide.
Speaker 5: I drew a little heart for you over here.
Speaker 3: I'm going to drill some holes in this while I talk to you.
Speaker 4: Oh good, thank you.
Speaker 3: Finally, can you put some meminems through that hole? If you earn them? Have I not earned them yet? No, I've got this article in front of me. It is called Preserving the Marginal or the fan as archivist, And now this is an article that's mostly about collecting physical things. It gets a little bit into the digital world. But when we think of archivists, we think of people who archive physical objects. But it says nostalgia is one of the main drivers of fans memorabilia collecting, because preserving the things that you liked in the past helps you preserve and perpetuate part of your former identity. And we're you mentioned like just wanting to start this podcast two years after Gravity Falls had ended, which doesn't feel like a lot of time for something to be made nostalgic. And I know I'm saying this now in twenty twenty six and Gravity Falls has now been passed down to the generations. But in those early days, how are you kind of negotiating this idea of nostalgia of something that, from my perspective, was kind of still actively going.
Speaker 5: We were all pretty big in the Gravity Falls fandom at the time that you were conceiving of that podcast, so it was really more how did you get into the fandom than how did this impact you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were all fairly popular either blogs or youtubes or what have you in the Gravity Falls fandom at the time.
Speaker 1: So Shelby was a Facebook.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm tumbler. I wasn't aware that I was big in the Gravity Falls fandom. You were the one that told me that.
Speaker 1: The couseplace you were posting to Facebook, I hadding a lot of attention to the point where like, if I would talk to cosplayers in New Jersey, do you know of Shelby Andie Cosplay?
Speaker 4: They'd be like, yeah, your kitten fists got the Alex Hirsch tweet in I think twenty sixteen, twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: I believe it was twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Whether it was the original twenty eighteen attempt of the show where the incarnation we know in love now, I think that was always kind of part of the idea is that we are again with that's trying to sound too narcissistic, somewhat uniquely qualified to catalog what this fandom was like.
Speaker 1: We were in the trenches we have I'm not I don't feel narcissistic in saying we meant things to certain people in the fandom, not everyone we weren't like a universal constant for every fandom experience. But there were people that think back in the Gravity Falls era and they think, ah, I miss what probably happens in Gravity Falls and the Gravity Falls full time fandoms and all of the cosplays I saw on Facebook, and.
Speaker 4: I was again, it is a little different, I guess in my case because unlike it was a my cosplays, it wasn't pictures of me or voice recordings of me. It was just things that I would post, like you know, posts, we would call them. But that's that's gonna get censored and sound like nothing.
Speaker 1: I think Ella is mentioned in one of the commentaries that's well, yeah, yeah. There's a bit in one of the DVD commentaries where they talk about people trying to pause.
Speaker 4: On the second episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the second commentary, they talk about people trying to pause on in between frames and catch the characters looking weird. And in our episode Gobloca, I presented that to Ella and I said, now, who do you think they're talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think I think the less charitable interpretation is like, oh, you're you're trying to insinuate something about the way the show looks like no it's just funny. The gronkle stand or the Dipper's arm is is around gronkle stand and it's like stretched out to his across his shoulder. That's what makes cartoons magic. Like that increases the magic for me. That doesn't decrease the magic. Yeah, it never has.
Speaker 3: They squashed them stretch, that's the that's a whole purpose. Yeah, I really love that This podcast is kind of a simultaneous story of people doing a whole bunch of different fan works coming together, specifically because Charlotte wants to be on another podcast, and I just there's this part of me that's like, oh, I say, everybody could just do blogs or make podcasts and I had to go get a degree and write a book just in the room.
Speaker 5: Hey, I mean, I have a degree in music and all I do is community theater. Sometimes the path finds you.
Speaker 3: The path definitely does find you. But it's like kind of been this hilarious like running gag in my life for the past year ish where I'll be out in public somewhere donning some kind of gravity falls merchandise and someone will be like, hey, I like your gravity false thing. I'll be like, hey, yeah, I want to hear a fun fact about me. I'm writing a book. I talk to people, I'm working really hard, and they'll look at me and go yeah, sure, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'll show them, You'll show them all.
Speaker 5: They don't believe you, because who's living that dream? That's a dream right there? Who could possibly be living that dream?
Speaker 3: So few people have believed me. Where I talked to Ariel Hirsh for a little bit and she was telling me over zoom that like she thought I was some weird freak who was lying to her.
Speaker 4: She was like, she was like, look, I know I work as a therapist, so I don't say this to anyone, but you're a weird freak and I don't believe you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was, well, yeah, she was like, is this a weirdo trying to stalk me? Even though I like provided all this evidence of like here's my contract, here's here's things I've already talked to to ask your brother, and she sent him a text that said, hey, this like weird person who's claiming to be an academic reached out to me. Is this legit? And all he said was ye, cool, incredible.
Speaker 4: That's the best thing anyone can say about anyone.
Speaker 3: I mean, I take it as a really high compliment, but like it's it's it's a repeating thing where people have not believed me. And I think I've gotten a lot of unanswered emails because everybody's like this freak is totally lying to me. And I'm here like clawing at the door like a cat who can't decide if it wants in or out, being like no.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't decide.
Speaker 3: I went to Grits. I was gonna say, it's the meme at the gate. Let me Yeah, yeah, I'm Eric Andre.
Speaker 4: Let just this use this as fuel, though, Use this as fuel, and and look down upon the town from your balcony and just think I'll show them. I'll show all of them what I've got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someday I'll have my my little Gideon moment where I'm like, look at all them little old people. Will I collect absolutely zero royalty money on this thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, then we'll get the Abby Kirby brand blunt objects.
Speaker 3: Mmm, oh my god. So okay, this is a nostalgic podcast and you're cure. Yes, there is so much to gravity falls, like an inexplicable amount of stuff that there is to talk about. It's true, how are you deciding what to curate?
Speaker 5: I think that taking it from an episodic point of view and only focusing on what was available at the time is probably the most effective way to cultivate the fandom culture because you're taking bite sides amounts.
Speaker 1: As far as what we decide to preserve and what we don't, we wanted the podcast to be fifty two episodes because we wanted it to be over in a year. We started it a year before the tenure Gravity Falls anniversary, so we found forty episodes and then anything else we could think of and narrowed it down to the twelve we thought the most important to us when we were coming up in the fandom, the things that we remember making waves people talking about because we were actively there in those days.
Speaker 4: It has to also be in order. Yes, so you know Rumble's Revenge is right before the hiatus, because that's when it happened, you know, just say what we said earlier.
Speaker 1: But as far as what information we decide to include in each episode, the secret there is we were on a weekly release schedule, so whatever research we could get done in a week.
Speaker 4: Basically, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: I was usually the one bringing in the notes from the commentary. Ella would be the one digging into the way back machine.
Speaker 4: To find fan theories for the Hall of Conspiracies. Yeah, which I hope that it's doing. Okay, we haven't been able to check on it obviously because we're in the we've been in the glass case. I hope you've been taking good care of that, Abby. I'm sure you have. I mean, it's part of your job too. I just hope the conspiracies don't like you more than they like us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hana still lives down there, so I'm sure they're taking care of it. My other goal, other than listening to commentaries, was in bringing in the media that influenced the people that made the episode and kind of bringing that in to be part of our book club experience. It's like, to understand this moment, you need to also check out neither of The Hunter for Sock Opera, or this episode of The Simpsons or this old commercial Alex screw up with.
Speaker 4: I'm just thinking about the fact that all of this research again, I was like, this is the thing that I could have this much motivation to do on a weekly basis. But I think what it needed was that spark of like, okay, but what's gonna what's gonna kickstart this? And apparently the desire of Charlotte to be oncome on for Google Pots forever was the to make all this possible. If there was a PBS style funding is provided by you know, message, it would be Charlotte's desire to be oncome on for Google Pods in perpetuity, get in and again it's like it's the kind of thing where I'm like, I'm so proud of what we did. I never want to do something on that stret.
Speaker 1: People are like, what what what cartoon are you covering next? And I'm like, you could do it, you could do it. We're not gonna do it. You can do it. I'll teach you how to do it if you need my help planning, but I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 4: That is something that actually kind of weirdly mirrors Alex's experience with working on season one and then being like, I'm only doing one more.
Speaker 1: I can't do because I do remember thinking while we were planning it, like why would I be setting myself up to do this level of work? Like at minimum, you're hearing three hours of editing for every roughly half hour forty minutes of audio, So why do I want to do that fifty two times? And being uncome on Fucha pots forever. That was the start, But I'm like, I need, I need something else. And it was when we came up with the idea of talking about how Gravity Falls would air after Dog with a Blog without a commercial break in one episode and then opening with the ending of a fake Dog with a Blog podcast in the next episode. I was like, that is too funny to not do. But for that joke to work, we need to get all the way up to dreamscape for us. So if I need to make twenty two episodes of a podcast twenty three whatever to do the Dog with a Pod joke, then so be it. I know what I must do. I can't I can't just leave this joke in my head.
Speaker 5: Your motivations are well, you also came up with little games. You came up with games for yourself while you were editing, things that just make you laugh that are in the podcast because it makes you laugh.
Speaker 1: That is that is correct?
Speaker 4: Same?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean collectively, we would, we would. We were enabled by our audience to do these really dumb bits that I just love so much, and that was something special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we would be pushing up against the deadline and I would just not have motivation. Yeah, my brain has this tendency to view editing work as not creative, as more mathematical, methodical labor. And I like doing creative work. I don't really like doing that other stuff. And so the way to turn it into creative work, yeah, was I would find little games while editing, and one of them that you could hear in almost every episode is anytime two people say the same thing with roughly the same tempo, I will edit it so that they're talking in perfect unison.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, with the idea of being that Ella and I having so much in common as the curators of this museum, a kind of like kind of have thing one thing two tweetled de tweetled. Dumb energy was kind of the I because you could make creative decisions in editing and like who the curators are as characters. Part of that was I have to decide our timing and what gets left in and what doesn't.
Speaker 4: Just honestly less distracting than having it just be a second off from each other, like half a second off from each other, and just put it in unison at that point.
Speaker 1: Sure, it is silly, though it's not how anyone could have a real conversation. Podcasts are real, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really gave us some insight into how all podcasts are constructed, even when they feel very naturalistic. We also have the Mapleroy's book right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I listened to the audiobook for Everybody Has a Podcast Except You or how to Guide from the First Family of Podcasting because I didn't want to just learn on the job. I wanted to figure out how to become a podcast producer before I started producing a podcast.
Speaker 4: It was surprised that you weren't into the idea of doing that much much earlier. In twenty eighteen. I was like, Oh, this feels perfect for your sensibilities. But then I guess ifuga pods was like the thing that opened your.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah, no, they couldn't get rid of me, no I and it was guessing on common Fucha pods. I realized that my favorite way to contribute to art period, my favorite art form is guessing on a podcast. Because I have a tendency when I'm left to talk in an alex Hershean way not finish talking. I don't notice I'm doing it. I'm not thinking like, oh, it's still my tan. You don't get to talk it. I don't realize how long I've been talking, which is my entire life been considered, as one might call it, rude. And it was when I started in this podcasting world. I had guessed it on podcasts many times prior to that, but it was when I started to realize the way my brain naturally works is called talent here and rude everywhere else in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Right, because these conversations can be edited down afterward.
Speaker 1: You know, like people say you can never hear someone's authentic self, and you know, maybe that's exacerbated right now by the fact that I'm doing a fake accent, But I disagree because there were so many times where Ellen and I legit just forgot we were recording it. And I don't know if that ever happened to Shelby.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean this is like every conver we have conversations all the time, and it really just feels like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it there were a lot lot of times audacity was minimized. We were just, you know, shooting the shaw. Oh no, you're not gonna know what we were shooting. It wasn't anything bad. Don't worry. It's a figure of speech.
Speaker 3: We were shooting the Yeah, yes, you know.
Speaker 1: That energy is kind of why it was fun to make. Quite like, I got to hang out with Ella way more than I ever did before or since.
Speaker 3: So what about fans outside of the podcast? Then? How did this change your relationship with them?
Speaker 1: I think I feel responsible for them in a way I didn't used to. I feel like I've done something for this fandom that I can't undo, and I feel like I owe something to them. So the question of like I'm kind of burnt out i'm doing Gravity Falls content, do I still want to cover the art book? The answer internally was I have to because I'm also a gravity False fan, and as a gravity False fan, if there wasn't a Mystery Shack look back when the art book released, I would be upset.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My favorite Gravity Falls video period is the Say Hunt video by Keyan Carlyle. And like there's a bit where there's a cutaway gag where they imagine a world where the cipher hunt went awry and it damaged Alex Hersch's legacy, and Kean wanted to present media from that alternate world, and he was like, well, there has to be a Mystery Shack look Back. That has to be one of the things we show in that alternate world. And so that's what I now see Mystery Shack look Back as is something kind of bigger than me. Yeah, to the extent that like.
Speaker 4: That we are a hallmark of an alternate timeline. If mister Potter took over the town and you came back and saw that Mystery Shack look Back was different, you'd know something was wrong.
Speaker 1: Right, and that means we're something and it's weird to ye something. But that was also a third reason, in addition to wanting to be on fucopots more and wanting to get that dog with a pod joke out in the open is My thought was if I don't make this podcast, eventually someone else will. I feel like the gravity Falls fandom was such a once in a lifetime flashing the patent thing that eventually someone would make a fandom time capsule, and my thought process was, well, if someone else does it, I have to wait, and if I do it. I could listen to it now.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think now more than ever with just how absolutely bonkers bad the animation stringing landscape is. The ephemeral nature of all this stuff is very evident, I think, and so wanting to do this for an archival purpose if nothing else. On top of just you know, we get to do it because it's fun. It also feels kind of necessary.
Speaker 1: The structure that I had always thought of in my head of like how do I research this and how do I record this? Is I am researching a documentary, but I am not writing a documentary. I'm just writing the bibliography for a documentary I didn't make. And then I getting in a call with Ella, with Shelby, with our guest ed pretending we're just having a casual conversation where every point in the bibliography happens to come up.
Speaker 4: We're not trying to be a wiki either. I think there's an important distinction there. We are incorporating our personalities and our opinions and things of that nature into that, because it's still just filtered through a person's interpretation or in this case, our three curator's interpretation.
Speaker 1: Now, I mean, that's what the podcast is is like, this could have been a video essay, this could have been a documentary. We did the level of research for that, but the idea that it just sounds like a couple of fans having a conversation was so important because I always thought of it as not just a time capsule of the fandom, in that we're telling you what happened, but we're also making you feel it in a certain way. Was one of the most important goals for me. That we knew Robin and z Eddie was an easy get. We've been in the fandom for years. We'd seen him reply to every tweet. We knew the second we tweeted out to him he would agree to guest on it. But we waited until season two, episode one to make it seem like we were not as equipped to get big name guests so that there would be an increase in the hype of season two. And we did that to recreate kind of what it felt like to be a gravity Fall season one fan and then be there for the premiere of season two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to echo the feeling of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why we had Alexa on for Tourist Trap, because no one's gonna post fan theories after watching only one.
Speaker 3: Episode except Alexa, Well, it was how.
Speaker 1: Do we capture the feeling of watching the show for the first time? And then I thought, we get someone to watch the show for the first time.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: Who is incredibly good at coming up with theories right off the bat? That girl, she can come up with things off the dumb. She's incredible.
Speaker 4: Mister donas Esque predictions theories, call them what you will? They really were really Yeah.
Speaker 1: The closest I'd ever heard anyone get to guessing the mystery and gravity falls and she had only just watched one episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, off the bat, Yeah exactly. There's an XKCD comic that basically says, even when they're trying to compensate for it, experts in anything wildly overestimate the average person's familiarity with their fields. This applies more to like a Dipper hat in the wild situation, where it's like, again, I'm trying to dial back, not going too deep so as to alienate someone, and just be like, I mean, I'm sure you've heard about the you know, worldwide scavenger hunt for the Bill Czipher statue that happened right after the original run of the shoind and they're like, oh no, actually, I'm like, okay, cool, we have a cool episode about that. Like it's never a judgmental thing. It's always just like, okay, I'm so in the sauce.
Speaker 1: That's where I'm at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I always say that I've forgotten more about gravity falls than most people will ever know. Yeah, because who voiced the British dog man in DreamScapers. That would be Clancy Brown from Scharwshank Redemption and mister Crabs from SpongeBob. But why do I know that? I know that because I heard my self say it on a podcast.
Speaker 4: I have no memory of learning the information.
Speaker 1: This information in my brain. I have no memory of doing that research. I just was re listen. I'm like, I want to listen to the Dreamscapos episode. Maybe I was in the mood to hear the dog with a pod pot, but I'm like, I'll just keep listening. And when I brought up yeah, the British dog Mads, I heard Searlotte in the podcast say the British Shakman's voiced by Clancy Brown, the voice of mister Crabs, and I responded to myself he is I didn't know, Well, I guess I did. I had to have known that, or I wouldn't have recorded him.
Speaker 3: At one point, you did.
Speaker 4: Part of the echoing of the feeling of watching the show wanting to mirror that in the listening of the podcast, you know, because it was like poetry sort of they rhyme. It went hand in hand with the idea that this was always going to be a limited amount of episodes that you know, it wasn't a podcast that we would just like do for the foreseeable future, like forever, like I mean, I certainly.
Speaker 1: I could imagine we were still recording episodes five years later.
Speaker 4: Well yes, and though we knew that there would theoretically be additional pieces of gravity Falls media, but it was a pretty safe bet that they'd be few and far between, which they are. And I think that's a healthy way for this to exist now. But at the time, it wasn't like that Simpsons podcast, the original Everything's Coming Up Simpsons podcast, which probably could still be going on if they hadn't made the decision, and the podcast that is unlike that. We kind of always had a set limit so we could plan these kind of quote unquote emotional arcs if you will of like, here's how we want the listening audience to feel, and here's how we felt at the time of this, this thread of the show and the fandom.
Speaker 1: Because ultimately, I've always referred to Mister ey Shack look Back as a documentary series. It is a documentary series. The format of just friends, just chit chatting, making jokes with each other is kind of a trick. We're playing on your brain because we're not trying to make you feel like you're watching a document We're trying to make you feel like you're sitting down to watch the new Gravity Falls with your friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that's what it felt like for us in the fandom. That's exactly the way to communicate what that felt like.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel like we were living through history. It felt like we were very focused on talking to each other about specific moments.
Speaker 4: Yes. Yeah, part of it was remarking what a shame it was that with it all streaming. It's great that it's all in one place, but it's all in one place, Like, you don't get the feeling of waiting between episodes. You don't get the online fandoms.
Speaker 1: I was a Gravity Falls YouTuber and I got to see kind of the fandom shift because when Gravity Falls post ended, there was art all over the place of post series Wendy and the Dipper hat post series Dipper in the Wendy hat. But when Steven Universe ended, and there was a Tumblr au called Summer Job Au where Stephen wound up in Oregon and got a job at the Mystery Shack, and I noticed with the autists that would draw it, with the people that would talk about this au, they weren't so clear on the difference between post series and as quo in Gravity Falls. They weren't so clear on which hat Tippa was supposed to be wearing, what state they were supposed to be living in.
Speaker 4: This was twenty twenty, Yeah, this was four years after Gravity Falls ended. For context, yeah, that makes sense. If these people had known the show through Disney Channel through reruns, they're not going to watch it linearly. That costs money.
Speaker 1: You have to pay for a Disney Plus subscription or pay for the DVD unless you could figure out another way to get the show linearly. But I don't know if children are the best at that.
Speaker 3: Do you think fans treat you differently because of the podcast and the other things you've created.
Speaker 4: I don't think they do, but I either way, I don't want them to. We have many conversations on the podcast about celebrity culture and how it's you know, basically inherently fascist and you know, you shouldn't put people on pedestals, et cetera, obviously.
Speaker 1: Because that's the opposite of equality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also that Alex Hirsch and the crew working on the show were not some super genius, you know, superhumans making art from nothing. It's like, you know, humans made this, and that's important because it means that you can make something like that too. I think that there's this level of like, oh, I could never make something like that. You know, they made my favorite thing, which means they must be better than me. It's like, no, no, that's actually not true. They went through so many iterations and so many ideas that never made it, and so many you know, ideas that they'll tell you that the were terrible, you know, that they scrapped you know, things like that.
Speaker 1: And so many terrible ideas that they think made it into the show.
Speaker 4: That's true. Yeah, things that they're still not happy with.
Speaker 5: I mean, the way you guys have always talked about it is from a human point of view. The people making it are people. We are people, You are people, So no, the fans don't tend to treat us any differently.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have a different answer that I.
Speaker 4: Mean in your case, it's like, for part of your job for some amount of years was cultivating a brand and that comes with its all its other you know, side effects of fair Socielli right.
Speaker 1: And I really despised it. There were times at the height of my u to fame where I would come into a random TikTok stream because I thought the girl was hot or something like that, and there would be people in the chat like, oh my god, are you the public va? And I'm like, hey, can we not make to this about me right now? We're being very nice as person's doing their hair or something smoking after work. Can we all focus on the person who is inviting themselves to be sent to stage at this moment. I'm glad you like my stuff. Let's talk about it another time. You can send me a message. I'm always like, I always answer messages from everyone I shouldn't. It did feel like I had achieved this status that wasn't quite human anymore, and I don't like it, and I'm kind of I don't have an audience anymore, so I can't afford groceries. But I do like that there's nothing there's no novelty to me existing anymore.
Speaker 4: But am I wrong in saying that it was less at least significantly less like that for the podcast itself because the fan base was distinctly different from your YouTube fan base.
Speaker 1: I think the podcast invited people to have a more complete understanding of us. I think I was allowed to talk about having interests that, in my current brain are more present than gravity falls. I feel like a lot of the podcast was being like, Hey, I'm a person who likes gravity falls, but above all, I'm a person.
Speaker 4: And yeah, because if you're gonna sit down and listen to a podcast, you're gonna listen to the podcast. Usually you know you're gonna till the Book of Bill episode. That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: The Book of Bill episode, I think breached containment a little bit, and there were a lot of people who just weren't willing to do the work of going through the backlock and learning who we were and what made us tick, who just saw us as the people interrupting Alex Hirsh and that made me want to die.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a weird case because it was, you know, contemporary with the thing that was being taught about. More or less, we were talking about secrets that people were actively also trying to figure out at the same time, Unlike the other episode we had Alex on, which was the Cipher Hunt, which was a done deal. You know, there were things that we found out about that were new information, but it was old information in time. It was new revelations about stuff that happened years and years prior, whereas the Book of Bill was different.
Speaker 1: Right, And this was a little bit after the Book of Bill. Hype had died down because it took us so long to schedule the interview with Alex and then even longer to edit.
Speaker 3: He is the busiest man, but we.
Speaker 1: Kind of brought the hype back because Alex had never really spoken about the book to this extent pria and so there was just so much new information though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which was awesome for us, but also yeah, it kind of diluted our mission a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And there are people who come in first through the Cipha Hunt episode as well, who were very polite everywhere other than YouTube. But on YouTube there's a lot of cipher hunt calm that are like, hey, can you guys stop interrupting Alex and Jason.
Speaker 4: Because people who watch YouTube videos aren't used to what podcasts are like usually.
Speaker 1: Right, because the fact of the matter is it's our show. Alex and Jason are coming over our house and they're obeying our family's customs, and that's just not what people who find videos of Alex and Jason are looking for.
Speaker 4: And podcasts, you just you sit down and you listen to a podcast, you'll let it play. You know, a YouTube video you can skip around on because you can see what you're skipping. But in a podcast, it's a different world. It's a different arena.
Speaker 1: It is. Most people who listen to podcasts do it while driving, which was another important thing because I was starting to realize having a child, audience was kind of mismatched with me. Not that I dislike entitating children. I've worked at elementary schools and such, but it's just that I think what I want to talk about above all else is media literacy, and I just want an audience that will meet me halfway. And there are plenty of young people who are media literate, but it's just not my life.
Speaker 4: I've been searching for a love that's right for me, and now I finally know her name, and it's singing with me.
Speaker 1: Kids media leaders, Yeah, by being a format most people listen to while driving, that kind of just naturally gate kept me from because children don't know boundaries. And that was another hard part about being well known in the fandom is like, if they were in my discord notification server, then you can call anyone you share a server with at any time. You don't need to send them a friend request first. So sometimes I'd be like hearing my phone ring and I'd be like, oh, someone's calling me, and I'm like, I don't know who that is. I hang up, and I'd message the I'm like can I help you? And talk to them and learn that they're like thirteen, and I'm like, hey, please do not private message or call someone in the twenties or thirties. Please talk to your parents about that. I'm making it safe for you right now. But that's not always going to be safe for Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's not as much education I guess about that that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, And so talking about media literacy, talking about the man behind the curtain and not the magic of ours, and doing it in a format that pairs best with driving kind of naturally brought me the age demographic I wanted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which was interesting because that was never a goal. That was just kind of a happy side effect. I guess.
Speaker 1: I think for me it was a goal. I think it was something I talked about with Shelby when we.
Speaker 4: Were Yeah, I'm remembering now. The happy accident was finding the audience willing to go with the dumb bits. That was the thing we discovered, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I used to pick whether the bits. I would be like, only if it's really really funny while I keep it in and other than that'll just keep the conversation relatively ADHD free until zero people jokingly pretended to be mad about dog with a pod, when zero people were like, oh, I have to listen to this, which is how they always are when you're doing like a prank isn't quite the word, I guess unexpected bit in a YouTube video. There are always people who pretend to be mad at you, and I just learned that's not the manners in podcasting, or who just are mad. No, I don't think I would have fully been able to embrace myself as a non binary person without that experience of just like y, it is possible to do something you find funny without your audience getting mad at you.
Speaker 4: Without asking for their approval either. Yeah, the same is true of when we would do like humorous posts or like weird fan art or stuff when there was a hiatus. The response would always be, Oh, this is what the hiatus does to your brain. Fellas, like, this is just how we are, this is just what we make.
Speaker 1: It's Shelby and Ella. We've always been like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is authenticity as a fan? And this is a big question that we as scholars ask a lot, and of course there's no single right answer because fandom is multiple right answers, all combining into one huge monster that leaves a hate comment on youtubem What is authenticity?
Speaker 5: I mean, you were talking about archiving earlier and how we accumulate things, but I kind of think that like experiencing media is the like you are the archive. You are an archive of feelings, and going back to those things is re experiencing those Yeah.
Speaker 4: And again, to kind of make a parallel to Gravity Falls, the show itself, you know, I don't know if we ever wanted it to be the end all be all, this is all you need to ever experience about gravity falls, but rather a conduit, like I mean, that's the book called part is that it's a conduit to be a watch along to like have you experienced your own gravity falls adventure so to speak, which the show itself also kind of does. Toward the end. There's that ending monologu where Tipper says like, Hey, go out, have your own adventure, find your gravity falls, and then of course take off the cipher hunt and that's everyone having a real life adventure. And it's like, yeah, I think there's an element of like, we can't give you all the answers. That's not that's that's that's impossible. You have you you have to find that for yourself.
Speaker 1: And and and to me above all else. This is why we went with the specific word curator, because I don't think there's any version of this where we can be one hundred percent authentic. I think one in the format how it works is we do have to withhold information from our audience. We do have to see a triangle man in the intro and go wow, he's interesting. Wonder if there's anything there, which is just like lying. Yeah. But also I don't think being present in the Gravity Falls fandom was always a positive experience for me. I think being someone who got very successful for voicing Bill Ceipher while closeted, you know, people would I would want to do things other than gravity videos. I would stream Skyrim. I was streaming Skyrim at the time that my channel blew up, and I would have people coming into my Skyrim chats and being like, what are your thoughts on podcast? And I'm like, hey, don't just dn't. You're a child. You don't know why that's inappropriate to ask an adult. Don't ask an adult that. And another thing was whenever I would like laugh, because I have a very manic, skeletal laugh, people in the chat would inevitably go, oh my god. He was the correct pronoun at the time, even sounds like Bill Ceipher when he's not voicing Bill Ceipher. And to be a closeted transperson and to have this view of myself that was being backed up by most multiple sources of all I ever am and all I will ever be is I sound like Alex Hirsh doing a David Lynch impression is like they did not like viewing me as a person who was voicing Bill. They liked viewing it as Bill came to our dimension and made these videos. And all of the comments were kind of from that perspective, and it kind of just gave me.
Speaker 4: This, which is like a there's a fun k fame in theory, but when it's affecting the person making the videos, it's like, let's stop this, children, please.
Speaker 1: Yeah no. And I don't like being equated with not a male character, but a character that has a is voiced by a man wears a top hat uses the name William. I don't like being equated with a murderer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Not only is Bill a bad day, he's a guy.
Speaker 1: It feels like they're asking me to disassociate. I made a video, and my interpretation is I practiced this voice, I learned it, and I recorded it for this purpose. And by saying Bill made this video.
Speaker 4: It's the refusal to see behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: Like it felt like I was being forced to be to exist outside of my own mind and I didn't like it. And so part of curating was let me create a version of the Gravity Falls fandom that I proud to be a part of. Let me kind of tamper with my own memories overly focus on the good. Don't bring up the fact that I ignored Cipher Hunt when it first happened because I couldn't tolerate Bill's fans at all at that point. Just make it seem like, yeah, I'm part of the fandom and this was a huge thing, and that's where I was. As I said earlier, podcasts aren't real. So as for what authenticity is, we had a unique experience as the people picking which information would and wouldn't be in the podcast, of kind of deciding what authenticity was on the go.
Speaker 5: I think that the purest form of authenticity is the art that you create. And we all met through very different mediums of art. Charlotte was working on voice as her art form. I was working on costuming and making things with my hand as my art form. In Ella's art forum was art and animation. True, and we all became close through the bond of the fandom, and we're still making art today because that fandom brought us together.
Speaker 3: Fandom is beautiful. Yeah it's ugly, but it's also beautiful, like a fresh baby. Only you could love.
Speaker 4: Like a baby.
Speaker 1: I was looking through all of the photos of my newborn baby, and I was trying to find the ones where it had the least goop on its head. Is kind of what this podcast.
Speaker 4: Was for, the least leftover amniotic sac you know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh look, I'm I'm a new mother. Let me take six hundred pictures and posts like the four where the baby looks cute.
Speaker 4: Larva and this one, well yeah, oh yeah, that there's a smile.
Speaker 3: So Shelly, Actually my question was specifically for you. Yeah, as Charlotte was talking about being so equated with Bill, that's a huge problem in the cosplay community. It is, It absolutely is. So like, let's let's talk about identity for a second point. How have other fans tried to impose identity on you?
Speaker 5: I have gotten very lucky that the character I chose to equate myself with fandom wise was Dipper Pines. So at the beginning of my Gravity Falls journey, it was one of those things where I could either choose to be Maple or I could choose to be Dipper, And in retrospect, I did choose the most Dipper reason to be Dipper. I wanted to make that journal and deep dive into that nonsense. So I didn't really have things pushed on me specifically. But I had a lot of friends in that fandom that, like one of my good friends cosplayed Bill and was constantly like nagged and asked to do certain things that made him uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: And he was really young too.
Speaker 5: So it's like I've seen the dark side of that fandom on other people. My interactions weren't so negative, mostly because I didn't choose to associate myself with a darker, more maniacal character.
Speaker 1: I do feel there was a little of that for you in doing the Princess parties and in voicing the ponies in that absolutely and in voicing Mabel, I think there was this view of you as hypofem that doesn't fit your presentation.
Speaker 5: I can definitely for me, Dipper was like an exploration of non binary for sure.
Speaker 3: But I will say that, yes.
Speaker 5: Being if you want to talk about my little pony community as an outreach of this, I can definitely say I have had negative associations with that, A lot of people putting one specific character's personality on top of me without that being my actual personality, not getting to know me for me, but me for the characters that I've portrayed.
Speaker 3: Yes, I totally understand that.
Speaker 1: And for those who I had listening to this and thinking, why does Charlie suddenly go by Charlotte? Why does Charlotte suddenly I have a British accent? I realize that no matter what I do, I'm going to be associated with a character because the Internet, more than ever, is about appealing to a person within the first three seconds, so they swipe away. Charlotte Driftwood is a character I created that isn't an erasure of my identity but a distillation. It's like if I have a more feminine speaking voice and have the accent you associate pirates having in movies. Because I've kind of been in this space long enough to know that I cannot break through people's first assumptions of me. Ever, they're going to listen, They're going to decide who I am, and they were going to check out everything I make from that lens from that point on. So I am learning and my gravity falls experience was a huge part of this that I need to present an early understanding of myself that is accurate or I will never gain an audience, who is here for me?
Speaker 3: That kind of brings up gravity falls and gender. Yeah, seem to be two things that are inextricably linked, and in some ways I know why, Like I used it in the identical way as Shelby, like, what here's how I'm gonna explore with gender and figure out who I am. I had significantly more negative interactions during that point in my life, which now I can laugh at. What exactly is that link? Because there's like some feeling, but I have never been able to put words to that feeling of certain medias that scream explore your gender. All of this is temporary. Societal norms are not real textually.
Speaker 4: It's a show about boy and girl who are on the precipice of societally speaking, becoming man and woman and what that looks like in the final hours of the former.
Speaker 1: You know, the gender critical crowd will always say, no, gender is inherently biological. It is all nature. There is no nature, to which I always say, why we mean to short men? Then what's that about? It really kind of sounds like we're trying to enforce a more standardized view of gender.
Speaker 4: She's got a good point there, don key. Maybe it's compensating for exaction.
Speaker 1: So gravity Falls takes us to these points where none of the things that are culturally true about men and women were true about you yet, you know, I remember I adored SpongeBob and stopped watching it the second I entered sixth grade. I saw the first that Steven hillenbook Seasons, but then didn't see the movie until I was an adult, because this was the point where it was like, if you like baby things, you will be made fun of. People in at different in Mabel's age are really trying to prop themselves up as we are adults now, but you're not. A twelve year old is not an adult, and a mab twelve year old has very little testosterone kicking around in their body, and they have adults talking to them with the assumption that they have testosterone kickut around in the body. They have things like you got to toughen up, you gotta be a man, and just taking yourself to the point in time where that was being said to you externally seeing you know, greggle stand talk like that, to dip with a manotaz talk like that to dipp it and be and and the end of the episode is always they're wrong. Dippo gets to find his own path, and it's just like, oh, none of this is real, None of this is real.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, if there is any any better representation that the dimorphism has not kicked in yet, Dipper Mabel with the same character design, one just has eyelash. Yeah, you stripped them away. They're the same face.
Speaker 5: And body and a little dingle on her head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and what are these things?
Speaker 5: Also, the first season is written by men, so it is a girl written by men. I remember whenever Charlotte would direct me to voice Mabel things, the big thing she would say is subvert your expectations, m m to the point that I would literally write that on the back of my wrist. What was ingrained in me to be my initial understanding of what I would have as an instinct is not the initial instinct that Mabel would have, or the instinct that Kristin Shawl would have. She always has very interesting takes. So I think that like in casting Kristin Shawl as Mabel, you came up with somebody who is inherently a feminine woman, very comfortable with her femininity, who does not make stereotypically feminine choices, and likewise, Dipper is allowed to be soft, Dipper is allowed to feel. Dipper is allowed to have emotions, which are a lot of things that boys are not always encouraged to have, at the very least in that time.
Speaker 1: What Alex said is when other writers would write Mabel, they would often just go for Gurley, and Alex said, no, it can't just be girly. There needs to be a weird spitch.
Speaker 4: She's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she's a ham is the phrase. And I think about that a lot.
Speaker 1: I like this kid's other twelve year old hype of fea girls might like kittens, kitten fists, Yeah, not a normal twelve year old girl thing. And there's always this she wants her femininity to be more extreme.
Speaker 4: Well that's literally in the first episode is just would you'd rather have like a doll or something grappling on?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And so so much of the show is about challenging Jenda, because that's really what the era of your life of puberty is about. Is other people are trying to tell me who I am about to become. But I can't do that. That is not achievable. I have to figure it out for.
Speaker 4: Myself, and then they and then they had and then they had this hilarious character who was a girl with a really deep manly voice. But they got better, they got better, they worked on that y.
Speaker 5: I always really love that Mabel and like Grenda and Candy, they're all so secure in who they are. They know who they are and they're not scared of what anybody else is gonna say. Sixth grade, that twelve year old age range, it is such a hard time to be a young girl going through puberty, because that is when girls start getting real.
Speaker 4: Mean, you're on the precipice of an age where everyone will care, where everyone will think of you in a certain way, like you're going to be hyper visible, right, And.
Speaker 5: So to see that Mabel is not going through that at this point, and Dipper is very much inconsistent with how he views himself, and to see them talking each other through that and exploring that in different ways, I think that that also has like a huge impact on why people become more comfortable with themselves as a whole, not even just with gender, but as a whole through the show, because.
Speaker 4: Was gender envy. I am not taking notes on this.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're yeah, but I think that the ability to be like, it's okay to feel what you feel, It's okay to be uncomfortable with who you are, and it's okay to come back knowing who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we think about episode two see You Know their Ideal Future and Mabel sees herself running around in a giant hempster ball and Dipper sees himself dressed as Indiana Jones and being interviewed about his accomplishments. So like, what it means to be a man in society is something that Dipper is just plagued with, and what it means to properly conform to femininity is just something that Mabel doesn't really think about because she's not being bullied for being an outsider.
Speaker 5: Really, now people are a lot more understanding of well, gender is something that is made up, and we are allowed to have wiggle room. We are allowed to let our children express themselves the way they need to express themselves. They are allowed to feel their feelings. And I think that getting that permission from the cartoon, being able to be like, oh, you don't have to be the manliest man to still be comfortable with who you are. It's okay to be awkward and sweaty, like all of those things are things that it's giving you permission to experience those things yourselves, because you were never given that permission, and you don't need to be given that permission.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did not realize I was trans yet when I had first watched Dipper versus Manliness and it ends with him growing his first chest hair. And I was twenty at the time, I think, and I had not yet growed my first chest hair, And I'm like, is this supposed to be comforting?
Speaker 4: That's the twelve old you'd be as manly as this cartoon twelve year.
Speaker 1: Olds, not as madly as this to twelve year old?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think for me it was, yeah, I very much echo that where it's like he would learn like what masculinity means to him, and then I'd be like, still doesn't it doesn't really resonate with me though I don't know, I don't know something.
Speaker 1: Still in No. I just as a non binary person who's chosen to keep my facial hairs, chosen to not go under hormone replacement therapy, I love characters like Dipper because I love the idea of someone born with the components that dipp it was with the same chromosomes learning to kind of define what all of that means for themselves rather than just listening to the authority figures who are enforcing it upon them.
Speaker 4: And we've talked about how the show is not perfect about this, of course again with a writer's room of men for season one, it's like, I think, particularly DreamScapers, we talked about how, you know, there's that conflict between Dipper and Stand that ultimately ends with Differ lovingly giving girgl Stand a choke hold and standing like, ah, this is a good moment for us. You're learning tosic masculinity. Wow, we love each other. I care about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's something about that about that show as someone who watches twelve year old boys give each other a show cold on the daily.
Speaker 1: Listeners who don't know Aby Kobe that well, they're not attending baby fights. They're a teacher, just.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm a sixth grade teacher and also the new person in charge of the Mystery Shack look Back Museum, throwing that out there.
Speaker 4: Remember minute, wait a minute, wait, Charlotte, Charlotte, do you have the deed on you?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: Shelby, do you have the deed?
Speaker 1: I don't know why I don't have the deep Where did the deed go?
Speaker 4: Why is Keeper's laws is in order? No?
Speaker 3: So Yeah, I'm a sixth grade teacher and being around twelve year olds a lot lately has like really shaped the way I understand this show. And I know that I'm living in a time that is a decade away from when the show ended. And I see the way young boys are performing masculinity and they put each other in a chokehold on the regular and they are increasingly violent with each other. Sorry to like air out some tea about my children here, No, it's sixth grade. We know it's sixth grade, and I know earlier the phrases like I don't have a lot of testosterone and them, believe me, if you could smell them on its way thumbing they are. They are very sweaty and very hot all the time, and they smell bad and I'm like, take off the hoodie and they're like, no, honestly, yeah, and that worries me. There's road and minecraft, roadblocks, hitting each other and sports ball. The things I can think of when Dipper says, no, it's a choke hold. It's not a choke hold. He's not like truly hurting Stan. And it's like the performance that they've animated is so subtle that where like you can see that Stan is like really yucking it up, probably because this is a children's show, but Stan is like, oh, oh, you got me, but sees it more not as a you're you're performing to my standard of toxic male, but you are bending expectations in a way you are you are playing. They're playing in the way that a puppy does. Not to intentionally hurt, yeah, but but to engage in closeness in a way that is neither overtly friendly nor threatening, but something that kind of comes in between. Because like, the way children learn is really fascinating, and they do so by testing boundaries. So it's perfectly normal to see children like smack the life out of each other and laugh at all.
Speaker 4: Do that to each other. Like the water different.
Speaker 3: I love the gag of them strapping the pillow to Seuss and running into him, but also the one where they're like getting each other with the baseball pats back and forth and laughing with like their eyes crossed. I love that.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, the wall Different Abel, and that's that's the the defining file footage that the Time Cops have of Different Mabel is them laughing and whacking each other with a bag.
Speaker 3: Which is so beautifully children that's how they play. But they're like, there's just something so subtle between children at play and hitting and touching and smacking each other as a sign of I'm not actually going to hurt you. I love you. That's I am enjoying this because I'm showing you I can hurt you. And I see a lot more of the latter, and it's really it's really changed the way I think about Dippery Mabel's characters.
Speaker 4: I think with DreamScapers mainly is more that that the that stands idea of like toughening him up in at least in that specific episode, it feels very physical, but then again like does not get challenge. Yeah, and also it doesn't get challenged, and outside of that episode, it is more about like even in the next episode in Gideon Rise's, it's more about his strength of will you know? Above all else, it's about his character.
Speaker 3: I was not going to talk about any aspect of shipping in this book, knowing that it would infuriate people that I'm not bringing up something that is understandably a huge part of Gravity Falls fandom, but also all fandom culture, right, just because weird stuff happens. Though I know I, as a sane, rational adult, could have this conversation in writing without taking it too far.
Speaker 5: For me personally, I did so many like in character panels, like at the height of the fandom, and a lot of times people would ask me shipping questions, but I always take things from a what has the Bible told me? Like when I say the Bible, I mean this show. Yeah, like what is the word of God? From the show?
Speaker 4: Who should we shipped with? Who? Well, Larry, why don't we look at what the Bible says?
Speaker 3: Can you put that in a cut at the end of the episode? No context? By the way, I love that. I'm obsessed. I love that so much.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Anytimes people would ask me in character as Dipper, like what is your thought on this, this or this, I'd be like, well, in this specific episode, YadA, YadA, YadA, I did not ship.
Speaker 3: I don't ship period. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say recreationally until ductails. I Oh, and my only ship is Della in Penumbra. That is the only ship I have ever had in my life, and I'm pretty sure it's canon.
Speaker 4: You could say it's the one pairing that you're true to.
Speaker 3: Eh, yeah, it's my spaceship.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, here's my perspective on this, and it's hmmm, I have a really long answer. Are you surprised? Now? There are five websites, there are five apps that people use so they never have to go to a website, and so the Internet is kind of all together in one space in a way they didn't used to be. And that is a form of desegregation, even if it's because you know, Mark Zuckerberg wants all the money in the world there is. The Internet is less segregated by gender, worldview, sexuality, et cetera than it used to be. And the way it used to work was that there were boy websites and there were girl websites, and me having attended the boy websites, the culture there was to make fun of the culture on the girl websites. From a point of I don't understand this and I'm not going to try to, which is to say, diviannat and fanfiction dot net are where shipping culture was alive.
Speaker 4: And not well per se, but it was alive.
Speaker 1: It was just treated by us as this just like I don't know, I guess xenophobic is the way to describe it. Is that if you go past our borders, they do this weird And we didn't even think of it at the time as gendered. We did not think we were making fun of women for liking women things. We did not think about the fact that most of ff dot net and most of DA were female. We were just like, these are weird websites where they want Lightning McQueen to kiss Gandhi like Clone high or that was how we talked about it.
Speaker 3: Is Gandhi also a car?
Speaker 1: Well, these are all valid questions.
Speaker 3: These are what kind of car with Gandhib?
Speaker 1: I'm just talking about? To us, the more outlandish, the more we felt we were representing how we felt about those foreign cultures. And that is kind of the humor Alex Hirsch was brought up in. He grew up on this very segregated internet a lot of the writers did.
Speaker 4: That informed his view of shipping as well, I suppose.
Speaker 1: And what's fascinating here is there is this intertextual aspect where the characters start referencing shipping towards season two Love that and it kind of almost feels like accept like the acceptance stage stage grief. Yeah, they are like, this is something that will happen with this fandom, whether we want it to or not, and we don't understand why.
Speaker 4: My take on shipping is much more concise. I feel like most of the time when I am inclined to look at two characters and go, oh, I think they should I think they'd be cute together. And then I think about it more and I'm like, oh, I guess that's just because that character reminds me of me, and that character reminds me of some might to be attracted to. Oh yeah, and then I think I should just I should just go talk to people. Did I just go talk to people?
Speaker 1: Yeah? None of us are.
Speaker 4: Ship is not that again, Not like I see the value in shipping, especially for like queer fans of things. I think that's really important. It's just it's never been a thing for me really that that didn't ultimately cascade into Yeah, what about what I want to get out of relationships and then and and dating.
Speaker 5: I'm always a story first person. Yeah, so I would rather know where the story's going than the shipping around it personally exactly.
Speaker 3: Shipping culture is just a big part of fandom, and I have to acknowledge that as someone who like, if you're like, what do you ship from this thing? And I'm like, ship them where.
Speaker 1: I ship Dipper with bubble wraps so he doesn't get scuffed and transit.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for being responsible. A priority mail Dipper is a priority maid.
Speaker 4: What are you saying? I'm not a priority, I'm not a male, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not Where is I going with this? I got so hung up on the funny jokes for a minute.
Speaker 4: That's hey, welcome this mystery is it's a thing.
Speaker 3: That nobody realizes about my job. And things again have changed slightly from when I was. I mean, I'm still kind of like an early career academic, but when I was like a little baby who hadn't yet like published anything at all. If you were an academic and you said this was my ship instantly, people would be at your throats. Became a lot easier just to be like, I don't really care, and I don't really care at the end of the day, but you're not.
Speaker 4: A poser who pretends not to care. You just actually don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't really care. I've I've grown to care a little bit as I consume other types of media, beve for gravity falls. I've always been like, I literally don't give a shit to whatever you want to do. I'm like back and forth on is this thing something that I should dedicate a lot of space too in my book and like really sink my teeth in it and risk people feeling upset or uncomfortable with this book. Do I not talk about it at all and have people be like, why didn't you talk about this? Or do I dedicate like a paragraph to and be like, Hey, this thing happened, I have forty five thousand words, figure it out for yourself.
Speaker 5: I would that's the direction I would go personally, because I think that shipping is the least interesting part of fandom culture personally, Like, of the things that we could discuss, there's about fifty things on my list, maybe one hundred and fifty things on my list before shipping even breaches.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that themes are the most important thing. And in a romance, yeah, those are the same thing. Like, it would be very difficult to engage with the fandom of our Flagman's death without shipping black Beard instead, because that's the point, that is what the story is, their relationship. Yeah, I just yeah. For me, when I'm focused on the themes, and if that's not a theme of the story, that's not where my attention is drawn on a less Like Ella said, there's a character that really reminds me of me, and a character that really reminds me of someone I would be attracted to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. Did we want to try to conjure some sort of wrap up question or.
Speaker 3: I was going to conjure a wrap up question? Okay, and it's probably the wrap up question you were expecting. Okay, hmm, Why Gravity Falls? Why did it matter to you?
Speaker 4: I'll do you one better. Why is Gravity Falls? Yeah? I mean it started when I was different Mabel's age, So I think for me that that was probably a big thing. Well, it stood out in that it wasn't talking down to me as twelve year olds who started watching it, and also the hints that it was, you know, bigger than it led on, that it had all this depth to it, and people who would make a show in the way that I would have wanted to make a show and that I want to make things, you know, like it spoke to me in that way. At the example that Alex always gives is like Nabele gets a pet in episode nine, episode ten, she still got the pet pig. Like little things like that that really reward you for being the obsessive nerd that I was in amb And to put it quite simply.
Speaker 1: Like I discovered U Homestar Runo when I was eleven in two thousand and four, and it updated weekly. It was at the time the only internet video series that updated weekly to the best of my knowledge, and just a sense of routine. Was doing something for me that I didn't have to think about because I'd never From that point on, I did not live without it because it was every week until two thousand and nine. Then it was not every week, and that they released one thing in twenty ten and then just disappeared for years without anyone knowing anything. And having this sense of routine disrupted while I dropped out of college after only three months, while my parents were divorcing, while I was moving up. It was a really dark time in my life, and having this sense of structure pulled from me really hurt me in ways that I just didn't even think to account for. And that's what stalking Matt Chapman's Twitter and IMDb was is he is what grants me this supposedly from what from thus far, it's that's what it seems like. And what Gravity Falls gave me more than anything else, because I've always I've said on many occasions it's not my favorite thing in the world. It probably doesn't breach the top five. I really really like it. But more than anything else I've ever liked, it gave me a sense of community and maybe maybe that structure that I was lacking was just because I was loadly.
Speaker 4: And that's I mean, it's very much community, yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's I mean, like, yeah, that's why you know, I still talk to Ella and Shelby every single week if I can help it, And like I met Ella in the twenty fourteen Gravity Falls fandom, Shelby in the twenty fifteen Gravity Falls fandom, Abby in the twenty twenty one Gravity Falls fandom, like it has just opened up this kind of swap meet version of life for me that I didn't have.
Speaker 5: Privor I love how much Gravity Falls As a love letter to Alex's sister A love.
Speaker 3: Letter to his family.
Speaker 5: That is part of what drew me into the show was just like how lovingly made the show is like not only is it childhood and joy and cryptids and mysteries, but it was like all of this love for my family is what brought me to making this show and then coming back with Book of Bill and his love for the fandom. Book of Bill is just a love letter to the fans who grew up with this show. And there's just something so special about a show that is made with that much love that people can palpably feel. And I will say that, like the best friends that I have are the ones that I made in the Gravity Falls fandom. There are people that I still talk to on a daily basis, not just Charlie and Ella, but like my friend Jess, who is basically my Mabel, like I talked to her about like every fandom. It's so wild that so many of these people have like gone with me, not from just Gravity Falls, but to like my brother, my brother and me just like all of these other fandoms that are completely outside of this.
Speaker 1: I introduced you to my brother, my brother, and me when you invited me over to watch Ducktails.
Speaker 5: I know, I got into the Adventure Zone because of gravity Falls, and my brother, my brother, and me because of Ducktails. So many of these friends have overlapping interests, overlapping interests in ductails, overlapping interests in the Owl House in Amphibia, and my brother, my brother and me, like all of these shows that like you wouldn't think musical theater. My friend texted me was like, I'm good, I'm about to go cry and come from away. And I'm like, oh, like my friends that have these overlapping interests that like, you don't just find in a fandom, but like finding that community and having that community grow and move with you over decades is just it's it's a very special and important thing.
Speaker 4: Well, there you have it, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Well that concludes our tour of the mystery exact.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, we gotta running out of air here, get any folks more holes.
Speaker 3: You can check out this exhibit on curation and what it means to be a fan up until whenever I get tired of it. I'm your fandom scholar, Abby Kirby. You can follow me on Blue Sky at Abby Kirby on Tumblr. At Abba is an academic and on TikTok at the fandom teacher. As for our curators, well you know where to find them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right here forever?
Speaker 3: Can I please? I beg you one skittle, one skittle?
Speaker 4: Please turn me.
Speaker 1: Back to the place sign No with the mystery shackter and the forest nomes. I'm already packed, so come on, let's go. Don't get me started. My heart's in gravity falls.
Speaker 4: Dads who should be shipped with? Who? Ba? Well, Larry, why don't we look at what the Bible says?
Speaker 3: Can you put that in a cut at the end of the episode after the credits