Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio Ane. President Biden and First Lady Jill Biden will attend Trump's inauguration. President promised to attend the inauguration no matter who won the election, and the Bidens are going to honor that promise, the Biden says. The spokesperson says Biden, Sy's going to the inauguration as an important demonstration of commitment to our democratic values into honoring the will of the people as we continue to provide an orderly and effective transition. He did not write that who was running the country.
Speaker 2: We did see some rain through northern California yesterday. It's made its way sort of through central California. Anywhere north of the grape Vine up to about Fresno has seen rain today. And to give you an idea of how much rain fell during the atmospheric river event from the last weekend level at Lake Sonoma, it's not very big, but it's the levels at Lake Sonoma went up twelve feet wow in one storm. Santa Rosa saw twelve inches of rain over the last three days. They said the store mushered a tremendous amount of rain into the state early last week, caused him widespread flooding, wide spread flooding, and even a couple of deaths.
Speaker 1: Alex Jones will get to keep his conspiracy theory website for now. His lawyers were in court this week trying to block the sale of info Wars, which was auctioned off as part of that billion dollar defamation lawsuit. Of course, we reported to you the winning bid came from the satirical website The Onion.
Speaker 4: Onion.
Speaker 1: Bankruptcy judge in Houston said he will not approve or reject the sale until a hearing in December.
Speaker 3: Well, Gavin Newsom is acting like a weird, spoiled child.
Speaker 1: It's not just Gavin Newsom, it's Democrats as a whole. They were the ones who lauded the electric vehicle movement. They are the clean energy people, they are the clean environment, save the planet people, and yet.
Speaker 4: They will not use the T word.
Speaker 1: They will not say Tesla the most successful electric car in the country. They completely ignore just because they're small. Like, if you're really into that, if you're really into electric vehicles being the future, why wouldn't you embrace this despite not liking the guy.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: You cannot argue how Elon Musk and Tesla changed the electric vehicle market.
Speaker 3: It's it's inarguable.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, it's evidence by when you drive to work every day, every other car is a Tesla. I mean in southern California, much more so than anywhere else in the country. Probably every car that you see is a Tesla. And you know, you'll see five of them in a row. You'll see one, you know, two or three that look exactly alike. You cannot argue in some neighborhood, specifically Orange County, a lot. There's a lot of Tesla's out there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: What Gavin Newsom is talking about is positioning a plan that would that would specifically flip the middle finger to Tesla. He says he wants to continue the seventy five hundred dollars EV rebate if Trump would repeal that federal subsidy, I don't know if there are plans to do so. I don't know if he's even suggested that he would do so. This is another one of Gavin Newsom's assumptions and in order to position himself as the Trump proofer.
Speaker 1: So this proposal where Tesla comes in, includes some market share limitations that would leave out Tesla models. The Governor's office says the policy is designed so more car makers can take root. Well, you know what, it's not the governor's decision that would go to the courts about any sort of monopoly rules. Right, you don't get to even out the playing field in terms of what products get to rise to popularity.
Speaker 4: It's what people want.
Speaker 2: In terms of the share, they say, Tesla makes up almost fifty five percent of all EV's registered in the state during the first records of this year.
Speaker 3: That's down.
Speaker 2: That's actually down a bit from sixty three percent during the same period last year. Hyundai is in a distant second, although I've been seeing a lot more of those lately. They're at about a five point six percent share. Wait a minute, there's one thing to remember about Tesla versus Hyundai or Toyota or Rivian or anybody else. Tesla makes its cars in California. Nobody else, not exclusive, right, they make them and some in China, they make some in your But Tesla makes its.
Speaker 4: Cars here, the only electric vehicle company.
Speaker 2: Why would you continue to flip off a massive employer like Tesla.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like pissing away the money for the low speed rail just to spite the federal government. Right, That's that's why I say he's such a small man. I mean, I do want to hear from Democrats in terms of does this turn you on?
Speaker 4: You like it?
Speaker 1: Just because Musk is getting closer to Trump that Gavin Newsom gives him the middle finger. Electric vehicle companies be damned.
Speaker 4: I e Tesla.
Speaker 1: Because I mean, I mean, you've got an f you to Trump in one hand and cleaning up the air in the other hand.
Speaker 4: What do you value more? Is it the f you to Trump?
Speaker 1: Fine, I want to know that, yeah, Or is it the turning California into a more electric vehicle state.
Speaker 2: Well, and if the only reason why you would deliver that carve out or the limits the market market percentage limit on that is because you wanted to anger Tesla, you wanted to exclude Tesla, which then once you get into this idea of Tesla's being you know, the price is coming down if they ever do, or Tesla introducing a more reasonably priced electric vehicle that other people could buy, then without that tax credit, people are going to go. You know what, I don't need to deal with this. I'm just going to go get my regular gas car. Yeah, and that goes against what I guess should be the OULDT A goal of these these subsidies, which is to encourage people to drive electric vehicles. But if you're going to take that away or specifically carve out which ones they can and can't buy, Gavin Newsome being arrogant about this just because he disagrees with Elon Musk, it's just juvenile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's especially when it.
Speaker 1: Flies in the face of what you're trying to do. If it really is climate change and cleaning up the environment. If you're that guy, then you should laud all electric.
Speaker 2: Vehicles and stop, you know, stop with the discussion of well we're going to charge people by miles now as opposed to having the gas tax because people who drive electric vehicles don't pay the gas tag. If you, China, I did what you told me to, right, what you wanted me to, stop penalizing me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Stop.
Speaker 1: It just said to the governor that's okay, did it feel good? I mean, it's just let's just strip away that title. I mean, I know that you're old fashioned. You like to have respect for people in power or when they're not children, when they're not children. You know, as we get older, that kind of goes by the wayside.
Speaker 3: Because more and more people are children.
Speaker 2: A quarter of Americans are still carrying weight they gained last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, survey, that's how it.
Speaker 2: Americans revealed the twenty four percent still carrying the weight they gained at the end of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: It's hard to ditch ten pounds. It's very hard to ditch weight.
Speaker 2: And they're expecting to gain even more weight as we get the end of twenty four. Respondents to the survey of two thousand people said that they will gain about six pounds between now and January.
Speaker 1: First, you're looking a little slim easy, are you the cardio? No no, I thought you were supposed to be getting in shape for a fantasy camp.
Speaker 2: I am, but I so you well in that case, yes, But I've just I've decided that I need to eat less food. I don't eat less often, I don't eat one meal a day. I just eat generally less food. That's probably good for me.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: You're not looking at the bag of corn chips, nor the bag of lays that I have out here, and I'll have you know that.
Speaker 4: These are just snacks.
Speaker 1: These are from the game, and I didn't want to waste them, and so they're open and I ate half of each, and so I didn't want to waste them. So I thought I'd bring them in and and just eat them.
Speaker 2: And just let their smell emanate throughout the studio so that it makes us hungry.
Speaker 3: Is that what you wanted to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know how we don't like to waste.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do know how we don't like it.
Speaker 1: You know what I have that I have that weird food and security thing that you're talking about of eating less food, where if I'm hungry, I feel like I need to eat like a big thing, right, But it's actually just eat a little thing and then it probably goes away.
Speaker 2: Eat as water. Yeah, and then wait the wait. Yeah, wait, nobody likes to wait. It's because we're yeah, food insecurity. We're afraid it's gonna go We're afraid it's.
Speaker 4: Going to go away. It's in our DNA. Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, we've talked about a lot of people that have taken off out of California to find some lower cost areas to live in, but a new report reveals California is still seeing some of the highest migration rates across the country. It was the second most popular state for Americans to move to this year.
Speaker 2: I think there's something missing in this report, or I would like to see an addendum to this report, because there's something that's pointed out here pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: I think is pretty fun.
Speaker 2: But it says that the high frequency of moves to California recorded could be surprising because the previous report showed that California move ins declined by eleven percent since twenty twenty two, and since twenty fourteen, California has seen seven hundred thousand adults leave the state, most of them saying the cost of housing was the primary reason. Many people move into or back to California to be close to friends and family. Still, people are more likely to move to the South than they are to the West coast. The top states include Texas and Florida, making up between ten and seven percent of all moves nationally. Forty six percent of surveyed realtor's clients moved to the South, twenty five percent moved to the west. There's a funny quote from a financial literacy instructor for the University of Tennessee at Martin, alex Bean. He said, it's fascinating that for all the grief California's taken in terms of higher cost of living, more regulations, increased, to media coverage of crime, it remains one of the most desired states for people to move to in the United States.
Speaker 3: And this is the quote.
Speaker 2: When it comes to California, aspirations often override logic, especially for those in a younger age demographic. Yes, it seems like that's the history of California for two hundred years.
Speaker 4: I'm going to move to La.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be famous, right, It just went for I'm Hollywood to YouTube.
Speaker 2: You end up you know, you end up bail and Hay somewhere, and you thought you were going to be, you know, the next big paramount picture star.
Speaker 1: They also say that Californians who flock to other states with remote work flexibility are showing signs of returning. Is that because businesses in California are saying, Hey, these zoom calls all day are not going to be a thing anymore.
Speaker 4: You've got to show up. So people have to move back.
Speaker 2: Some of it might be, but I do think there's a there are people who leave the state with these for the same reason, I mean, not the same reasons, but with that same intention.
Speaker 3: This is going to be paradise.
Speaker 2: If I move to Atlanta, or if I move to Miami, or if I move to Saint Louis, it's going to be beautiful and I'm not going to deal with the same things like crime and homelessness. And then they get there and they're like, oh, this is a nationwide problem, and it's probably not what they expected.
Speaker 3: I thought, say, that's the majority.
Speaker 1: We go to a lot of cities where I don't see one single homeless person, and I mean part of that is because of California's weather.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty moderate the whole year round.
Speaker 1: But there's cities I go to where it's clean, there's no homeless people. It's not a situation. I mean, sure there's a one off, but nothing like you see here. I mean, I also may not be in those parts of the city the city. Yeah, yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: Let me know, when you go to Foxborough a month of five weeks from now, whether you see a lot of homeless people in New England first weekend, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nuary, they say looking.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for a hard to find bottle of Kentucky bourbon, get your bids ready Kentucky. The state of Kentucky is launching its first online auction of confiscated alcohol.
Speaker 4: Whiskeys up for.
Speaker 1: Sale include two bottles of old Rip Van Winkle, a Blanton single barrel gold, and a bottle of four Roses small batch barrel strength twenty eleven. The sale stems from a new Kentucky law. The law allows alcohol confiscated from closed criminal investigations to be auctioned.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a story, right.
Speaker 1: Online bidding opens Wednesday, closes at midnight. The only reason why I decided maybe not is because I'd want like a one sheet with the bottle, like when was it confiscated?
Speaker 4: Who did you get? What were they in trouble for?
Speaker 3: Give me the case file?
Speaker 4: Right, something you know?
Speaker 1: And then that would be a cool gift, Right, that would be fun anyway? It opens online bidding opens Wednesday, closes at midnight on December eleventh, and proceeds. By the way, We'll support alcohol education programs in the Kentuckyn't that nice?
Speaker 3: That is great?
Speaker 2: The worst place to be Tomorrow night we talk about traffic all the time. This is probably the worst week when it comes to traffic in Southern California. The Tomorrow night, of course, is going to be the absolute worst. And if you've ever made your way around Southern California on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, you know how bad it can be.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 2: The worst place to be in California Wednesday night before Thanksgiving is North Bend I five between La and Bakersfield. Travel time is expected to double to almost four hours. That's without an accident, without a stalled vehicle, without a truck dumping its pipe load somewhere down the Great Grapevine. The Automobile Club of Southern California says six point six million Californians will travel more than fifty miles for the holiday. That's increase of about three percent from the twenty twenty three travel season and more than three percent of twenty nineteen, which held the record apparently before the pandemic, they said. Actually, traffic in Southern California spikes this afternoon. They said Tuesday, between one pm and seven pm, an average of a thirty eight percent increase in travel time.
Speaker 3: So have fun driving home from work today.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, I gotta start cooking the brine I got.
Speaker 3: Because it's got to cool off all day.
Speaker 2: It's got to chill completely before I put the turkey in it, and then that's got to soak for eighteen hours or whatever.
Speaker 4: The turkey's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: It is a whole thing.
Speaker 1: I've never made a turkey. I have no idea. I would have no idea how to defrost it. And Brian and all that stuff. You know, they have books on how to do that.
Speaker 4: I know. Okay, I'm just saying right now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would Without mister Google, I would have a problem. In and out Burger has been dethroned. Uh oh, California's new fast favorite fast food chain.
Speaker 4: What do you think it is?
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was this.
Speaker 4: The number one spot is McDonald's. I get it.
Speaker 1: I'm a traditionalist. I love McDonald's. I'll always go to McDonald's first.
Speaker 2: In the twenty years that I've lived in southern California, I've probably eaten it in and out a couple hundred times, a few hundred times maybe, And McDonald's I've been to maybe four or five.
Speaker 4: Oh, flip that for me. Flip that for me.
Speaker 3: You don't go to in and Out.
Speaker 4: Not really.
Speaker 1: The line is punitive to me, like the drive show line. Yeah, I don't know. I'm also gonna get like that. I'm a McChicken person. I like the McChicken sandwich at McDonald's, okay, or the chicken nuggets.
Speaker 4: With the barbecue songe. I'm more of it.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a burger from a fast food place in a long time, but if I was, i'd probably go to McDonald's first.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It's just because growing up in northern California, we didn't have the in and out burger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was kind.
Speaker 1: Of like a novelty when I moved down here and was kind of cool and I got into it for a while, and then I kind of was already set in my ways with McDonald's.
Speaker 2: They said the study was based on search engine interest from California residence between November of last year November of this year, and it included coffee chains.
Speaker 1: Well, that's different criteria, isn't it. Because McDonald's has switched things up, they have gotten more publicity I think than In and Out because in and Out kind of stays the same. Whereas McDonald's screws around with you know, Mick rib and bringing this back and bringing that back. Same with Taco Bell, which came in second, then followed by In and Out, Jack in the Box and Chick fil A.
Speaker 3: In and Out is the latest food chain.
Speaker 2: The move is response to minimum wage increases for fast food workers in the state. They increase some of the prices on their menu items. Of course, rounding out this list Wendy's, which I think is an underrated burg Wendy's is great, Chipotle, Burger King, deltalk O, KFC, and Carl's Junior.
Speaker 1: On that list, the chicken tenders for Wendy's or second to none.
Speaker 3: I'm also a fan of the Carls Junior occasionally.
Speaker 4: I do not like Carl's Junior.
Speaker 1: They don't like the way they screw with the shape of the nuggets with the star. I don't like their fries, and is they have the curly fries still I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever had curly fries from there, so I cannot definitively say, but they make a good I guess everybody does throw bacon on there at some point, but they're they're bacon Western cheeseburger with it.
Speaker 1: That is a good one. You're right, that is a good one. They got the onion rings on way back. I haven't had one of those in like twenty five years.
Speaker 2: I used to get the double Western bacon cheeseburger and the club chicken sandwich for one meal, large Doctor pepper and a shake. So then you got to throw fries in there too to round it all out. It is a different time, if that's what you're asking, Well.
Speaker 4: Your metabolism was different.
Speaker 3: I was twenty two or twenty three.
Speaker 4: That's perfectly normal.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a that's about a thirty five hundred calorie.
Speaker 3: Meal, turn forty day meal.
Speaker 1: You turn forty and you basically have to stop eating, like enjoy yourself. Have a half an apple and a couple of almonds. Yeah, and twenty two twenty three, you can eat anything.
Speaker 2: And I did, man, I did. I Wow, that's eat out on the road too. I'd eat that while I was driving. So there's not even you don't even get a chance to move around after that. You just then sitting in your ear n't go on your heartwalk, can't go on that fartwalk just to move stuff around.
Speaker 1: I was reading the BBC History magazine this morning, this headline caught in my eye. Was there really a sport called cock threshing? And the answer is yes. This gruesome English blood sport, also called cock throwing, dates.
Speaker 4: Back to at least the fourteenth century.
Speaker 1: A hen or a cock was tied to a pole, a hat or a basket. Players then took it and took it in turns to throw sticks or stones at the bird until one of them managed to kill it. The pastime was popular among children, who would played on something called Shrove Tuesday. Alternative versions involve strapping the chicken too someone's back, or blindfolding competitors so they hit each other while flailing around. By the seventeenth century, commentators had begun to suggest that the practice might be inhumane, but attempts to ban it sparked riots. In the nineteenth century, pressure to abolish the sport one out as much because it had become associated with the working classes as for animal welfare reasons. The habit was so entrenched, though, that when exotic birds were introduced into Saint James Park in the eighteen thirties, Londoners hurled stones at the unfamiliar creatures.
Speaker 4: Killing them in huge numbers.
Speaker 2: Fascinating that we were so stupid at the time to think that that was just funny, right, or sport or sport or what are you doing this afternoon? You want to kill some birds, rocks and birds? I mean, I know that we do it, but you don't celebrate it like it's a sport. You don't do it in the public square. Oh do you imagine ride in my backyard in my boxing.
Speaker 1: Go out to the burbank nature preserve that you're so fond of and just start pow.
Speaker 3: To nature preserve. It's a nature park.
Speaker 4: I am sorry.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We just saw Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nett Yahoo on TV a short time ago, listed a series of accomplishments against Israel's enemies across that region in recent months and said that they are working on a ceasefire with Hesbelaw and that in fact, the Israeli cabinet has met and agreed to go with it, agreed on this ceasefire. But he did say a ceasefire with Hesbelah was going to further isolate Hamas in Gaza and would allow Israel to pay more attention to Iran, which happens to back Hesbelaw and is currently the biggest threat in the region, and net Yahoo has vowed to strike has Belaw very hard if it violates the agreement. The White House says President Biden is expected to make an address about eleven thirty hour time from the Rose Garden in reaction to this news that again the Israeli Cabinet has apparently agreed to a ceasefire with hesbe Lah.
Speaker 1: The fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon is here, guys. It is time to mobilize. It is coming up quickly. It's going to be here a week from today. Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club. You know this provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in Southern California, and you all are really what makes it happen.
Speaker 4: Every year.
Speaker 1: The Kafi family does nothing but rise to the occasion when it comes to the postathon. There are three ways you can get involved. You can donate now at kfiam six forty dot com slash Postathon. You can shop at any Smart and Final store donate any amount at checkout. You can head into any Wendy's restaurant in southern California. Donate five bucks or more and get a coupon book for Yum Yums, Yum Yum Yums at Wendy's. And then of course our All Day Live broadcast from the Anaheim White House a week from today. Come see us hang out. Please donate on site drop off pasta and sauce donations. We're gonna have a great time next Tuesday. It's always fun. It always kind of kicks off the holiday season for me.
Speaker 3: It is a marker for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we have an auction item as well.
Speaker 2: Do if you go to pastathon dot com, it takes you right to the postathon page and you can see the auction items that are up there, all kinds of stuff from each one of the hosts. You can co host with John Cobelt. You can have your home whispered to by Dean Sharp. Two Night's Day at Tara Naalo Resort, Hummer ev all wheel drive, a e bike, all of this stuff, including going to a Dodgers game with us, and this has always been an absolute highlight.
Speaker 3: We usually do it usually.
Speaker 2: In the summer because that's when baseball season is people, but we do it at the suite.
Speaker 3: We get to host a couple of people at the luxury suite.
Speaker 1: All the Dodger dogs you can eat, all the Dodger dogs you can fit into your stomach.
Speaker 2: When we went last time, when we went in July, that was the game where Austin Wells hit three home runs. Yeah, and you couldn't leave the game because it was only I think the sixth inning when he had his third home run and you knew he was going to get up at least one more time.
Speaker 1: Remember the year that the winners of the auction item. One of the guys was a writer of sex books.
Speaker 3: I don't think sex books is the term he used.
Speaker 4: What is the term?
Speaker 1: I think he used adult erotica. Okay, adult erotica. That's better. That's more flowery, more literary. And he was like telling us the details of the adult erotica plot.
Speaker 4: That was fun. It was something different. It was not fun, Well, it was something different.
Speaker 1: You know, there's all types of people and all types of things for different types of people in this land.
Speaker 2: So again, go to pastathon dot com. You'll find all the about how you can donate online, but also those auction items that are posted. That auction will run all the way through Tuesday, Tuesday night. We are going to be at Anaheim White House Restaurant on Tuesday, December third, so you can come on out, bring your pasta and sauce, drop it off, Bring your car, bring your truck, bring your school bus that is filled with pasta and sauce, and they'll take all the donations.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Coming up in swamp.
Speaker 1: Watch Mexico now floating trade retaliation in response to Trump's tariff threats. Also, Biden has a slid over a massive chunk of change to a Tesla competitor to open up a plant. The fight on Elon Musk because these buddies with Trump now continues with this administration.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is going to pay off for Democrats.
Speaker 3: Hello, Gary and Shannon Dy.
Speaker 4: I just want to say thank you for the podcast because now I get to listen to you on the way to work when they're still talking about aliens and sasquatch and stuff. Yeah, listen to us in the morning, whatever you want.
Speaker 1: In the afternoon, in the morning whatever. We have a podcast that we put up every day.
Speaker 3: After the show. Yep, all you gotta do. It's on demand.
Speaker 2: Make sure you go to the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you get your podcast. I checked them all out last night. Everything's still up there on demand. Just type in Gary and Shannon in the search and you'll be able to find our podcast every single day.
Speaker 4: Swamp Watch when we return.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.