Speaker 1: Next on the drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA daily assists.
Speaker 2: Van McMahon, Ban mcman batted in all the land textus.
Speaker 3: Blood as it is Mud. He's a man, Van McMahon, Van mcman, the man Man. It is a Tuesday on the program. You know what that means.
Speaker 1: It's time for our weekly conversation with the legend himself, star of every ESPN and then quite frankly TNT broadcast. I'm watching out this way, Tim McMahon. A lot of TV face time for our guy these days. Tim, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 4: Oh hey, partners. I was about to go just kind of scroll the court. Uh, you know, I'm getting ready for this Western Conference Finals, and now they decided to do a sound check. Excited to retweet back to the bowels of the pay Calm Center.
Speaker 3: I see, I see.
Speaker 1: I had a friend text me the other day and said, is Tim intentionally placing himself where he knows he can get the most camera time on these games?
Speaker 3: So I just have to ask you that right out of the gates, Well, listen.
Speaker 4: I like those court side seats. I'm gonna squeezed out of them tonight, you know, Western Conference Finals, you got all these other folks coming in NBA folks taking my seat, So I'm gonna I guess still got a good one. But I'm all from the corner. I won't be right behind the visiting coach where you get a lot of good airtime.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: I will take advantage of you on the show today, not literally, but I will take advantage of the time to ask you about the Jazz, even though I know there's not a lot to talk about. There's just a ton of reports that after falling to five, they are going to try to be bold and maybe potentially move up. Who in front of them, Tim, do you think is most likely to trade their pick and you think the Jazz can get involved?
Speaker 4: Well, I think most likely would be san Antonio. But I think if san Antonio's traded that pick, it's probably an A Yannis type type of package. It will not be the Mavericks. Number one is not available. Aside from that, I could really probably see any of those other teams willing to discuss because look my understanding of this drap, I'm by no means of draft guru. I've watched like maybe a total of three or four hours of college basketball this year, but that's not true about five or six anyways, Cooper fly Clip at number one, uh, number two, Harper, Dylan Harper and then kind of the conversation as far as you know, buging no out of beholder probably starts at number three. So I think especially you know, three or four I think could be up for grabs if the Jazz are willing to obviously incentivize that they've got a tough future, picks to play with, you know, extra picks to play with. You know, I don't know if there's you know, with I don't know with with Philly. Honestly, taking Paul George might be considered to be appealing, So you know, we'll see what happens. I think there's a lot of things that are possibilities.
Speaker 1: Have you been able to connect with anybody over here about their thoughts on, you know, falling to five and their thoughts on being in a position, UH to potentially try to be bold based off of all the assets they have. Do you have any any idea tim wherey head is that of the Utah Jazz front office right now?
Speaker 4: Well, listen, obviously very disappointed to fall to five, but also fully understanding that was statistically the most likely of any scenario. I mean, there was like a forty eight percent chance they end up with number five take and only fourteen percent chance of number one. And so you know, we'll see what that means in terms of aggressivenessess as far as moving up what this summer looks like. But you know, I did talk to somebody who basically basically indicated to me that, hey, tankings are really risky strategy at the lottery off it's flattened, and you know, there's a there's discussions that need to be had about the rationale for tanking versus the risk of ending up in this scenario and really the challenges that come along with real player development when quote unquote player development's your priority.
Speaker 1: We learned this year that nobody's off limits. I mean, hell, if Luca can be traded, anybody could be traded. But you think the Jazz would actively shop. You know, I'm going to throw market In and Kessler out there, because honestly, I think those are the only two players that I would say have proven to be here for the long haul. Do you think they would be on the table potentially and maybe the Jazz just go all in on being really young and kind of starting the clock.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're asking two different things. Would they actively shop or would they be on the table. I'm not sure about actively shop. I think anything is on the table. I mean Traden Lowry marketing in and trading Walker Tesser was on the table for the Jazz last summer. They were just asking for, you know, an extreme premium type of price. And like there's a lot of talk about marketing and the Warriors, nothing ever got close because not only were the Warriors not including Brandon Pajevski in any conversations, which is a deal killer, but they weren't willing to go all in on the picks and the Jazz wanted up things. Look, could those kind of conversations be restarted? Sure, I could see that again. I think Kessler, they were asking for a lot last summer, and given the circumstances, I thought he had a really really good season, only adding to his value. My guess is they will both be in Utah next season, but I don't think it's a certainly by any stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 1: One more thing here, Tam, your buddy Bobby Mark sopped on yesterday and did an excellent job of outlining just how we have entered this era of parody in the NBA. It's a topic that's been discussed quite a bit. You've got you guys have dug into it on the hoof collective and you know, the markets like ours, Cities like ours have star players championships, not Milwaukee Denver, and then we have Indianapolis, Minnesota, and Okay, seeing the conference finals.
Speaker 3: And I just feel like, and Bobby was great with this.
Speaker 1: You know, the new CBA expires in twenty thirty, so that's a five year runway. It just kind of adds a little bit of sting around here that the Jazz aren't ready to capitalize on this landscape that seems to be built for a city like Salt Lake and a team like the Jazz.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I hear what you're saying, And I would just remind you that the Jazz just and we can debate the semantics of contender, right sure, but I'm going to say the Jazz just had a pretty long chapter as a contender that closed. You know, they're trying to open up a new one. It feels a million miles away right now, but you know, it's not that long ago, that that Rudy and Donovan or there in Utah on a team that you felt like had a chance but just never was able to get over the hump. You know, could never break through. But you know had the best record and was that the best run in the NBA that year? Yep, So you know, again it's not like it's just been eons and eons of the jazz out in the wilder and if they had a chance, you know, they weren't able to get over to hump for a variety of reasons. They decided to go ahead and pivot from that and break that team up. And now you know, it's been a few years of this. I'm sure it's tough to live through. It feels like it's been a long time. It's frustrating. But again, this is that you're not the Charlotte one. It's it's been forever, you know, or the Washington Wizards or one of those type of teams. This franchise has recently experienced a pretty high level of success.
Speaker 1: Surely you have a hot take on Isaiah Calier and Kyle Philipowski not making either first or second team All NBA Rookie.
Speaker 4: I will be honest with you, I skimmed the AL rookie selections and they have not really sunk my peek into uh or done a whole lot of thinking about them. Color surprised me a little bit. Yeah, that surprised me a little bit. I thought the Jazz in a nice little marketing campaign. They they sent me some of those. One of those posters is on the wall one of my boys, So you know, Lescott have to vote to my house about Unfortunately, my boys don't have an official ballot, but kas Isaiah Callier fans in North Dallas.
Speaker 3: All right, moving on.
Speaker 1: We were able to get six minutes on the Jazz, which is more than I thought we could.
Speaker 3: So let's move on. Now.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm impressed that you were able to play along, but that's why you're a pro. I continue to give you credit. And I talked about this to start the show because with about three weeks in the regular season left you on the regular season, I asked you, who's the team they can throw punches with OKC And the answer would vary based off the week. You know, the Lakers get Luca could beat the Lakers. The Warriors get Jimmy, could it be the Warriors. You're the one that said watch out for Minnesota, and I read this morning. I did not know this. The two best records in pro basketball since March first are Oklahoma City and the Minnesota Timberwolves. Let's start with the Timberwolves side of things, is what are your main takeaways with how they finished the regular season and how they've been able to advance to the conference finals.
Speaker 4: You got to start with Julius Randall and look, for a lot of the season it was about figuring out the Randall fit and it was clunky and like could he really not just coexist but thrive with an You got two kind of ball stopping, you know, star type of players. What's you know? They like to operate kind of similar rhythms where they're kind of getting each other's way and bogging things down for each other. For a lot of the season, the space room wasn't quite right. You know, there's also the ruty factor as far as part of the spacing and ingredients there. They took a long time to figure things out. There as a lot of button their heads up against walls, a lot of frustration. They felt like they were making progress and then boom, it'll make you know, gets his hammy, so he's come back from that hand. Me though, this thing is taken off of them. You know you mentioned the record down a stretch. You know, obviously they they sitting here in the Western Common finals. Randall, a guy who had a reputation as kind of a playoff dog. To be honest with you, after extint New York has been awesome during his playoffs. He has been a bona fide, legitimate All NBA caliber co star. This is the guy. He's been All NBA before, but not in the playoffs and played at that level in the playoffs until this season. But here he is. You know, they've obviously got a really good defensive team. They've got the uh, you know, top top level type of superstar. In an er, it was approaching the top level. But this really is clicked because Julius Randall has found his comfort zone and has taken off. And you know, this is a big team with two go to guys you know, up and down the roster, dudes who are scared to get the nose dirty. In terms of defending, I will say Raynal's playing the best defense phase career too. That's been a major factor and you know, we're going to find out what kind of fight they can put up against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Speaker 1: Is there a home for Mike in this series? Mike Conley, I mean, you know, four or five years ago at six', one he still had decent shift ability and speed moves move side to. Side when you look at Ok, see Even Cason wallace is six.', THREE like i Wonder if mike is going to be able to play big Minutes For chris finch in.
Speaker 4: This, series well and that's that's one of the questions that we're going to, Find out like con is no longer like a thirty five even a thirty plus minute per. Game guy obviously he's kind of Shifted into morley a. COMPLIMENTARY role i do think though he still has value. FOR them i got to, protection defense so you got to kind of hide him a little, bit defensively but just the, calming presence, you know kind of, the orchestrator the guy who keeps. Things organized i'll, say this even if he doesn't play a, whole lot he's got extreme value, for him just as that stage veteran voice on the bench and in the, locker room and, you know an extra pair of eyes and Ear St. Anthony edwards so who do you?
Speaker 1: Think draws who do you think draws the primary Assignment? ON ant, i mean with an offensive talent, like that you want to throw a bunch of different looks, and okay see has a bunch of.
Speaker 3: Different bodies Is? It dort Is? It jalen Is?
Speaker 1: It shay who do you think he draws THE primary, i, mean hell We Saw, alex Caruso Gard. Nikola jokich who do you think draws the primary Assignment?
Speaker 4: On ant it's sure as that will Not. Be shay it's gonna Be. Lou Dort lou dort's gonna start off. ON him i Think lou dort will spend the most time. ON him i think it's primarily going To. BE lou i think he's also going to see a hell if he Goes to Case. And wallace my guess Is that crusoe is going to spend more Time On julius randall when He Will. Anthony edwards i'm sure he'll see. Him some but, you know Think about cruso's impact defensively so far in. These playoffs Completely Eight Jaron jackson junior live in the first round And then, game Seven the thunder's big Adjustment was ruso ended up being the guy who spent the most Time on joker in. That, game now there's a lot of help obviously, involved there but one of the great Strength of crusoe as a defender in addition just had insane hands, and instincts is that this is a. Tough dude he's got the ability to. Guard UP so i think he'll be THE primary i don't think. IT starts i think he'll get more time anybody Else On, julius randall AND again i think lou Dor On anthony edwards to me is as fascinating with an individual matchup as you could possibly come.
Speaker 3: UP with i agree on the, Other side sga Is? It jaden is? It ant who draws the primary assignmon ON.
Speaker 4: Che i would think they would start Off with jade McDaniels on him for the simple fact that you don't necessarily want and to have to exhaust that kind of energy playing forty plus minutes per, game now and it's going to get his fair share of time. On HIM but i don't think he wants him to have to. Do that from the opening tip of game.
Speaker 1: One, for Sure, all right the go. Bear factor, of course we are familiar with it, around here and, YOU know i was thinking about this Tim Watching mitchell robinson really guard like five positions on a couple of different possessions With the celtics and the modern day five out spacing offensive attack that most teams like to use is a really tough ask on. Most, Bigs now rudy can, handle it even though some people think that. He cannot how do You think okase goes about. Their business do you think they're going to try to go small to at Least, neutralize rudy make him chase these perimeter players around.
Speaker 3: The floor.
Speaker 4: It's like a pit a pitcher with like, eight, Pitches, Right like they've got a lot. Of stuff they can go a lot of. DIFFERENT ways i think they start off with their two gigs and kind of go. From there And and game one is Really For. Mark dagnall it's kind of a feel. Out game it's still on a lot of different Things that i'm seeing how they respond to is seeing how they. Handle it they do have the ability to play hit in a lineup that is fied out with a subcn footer on. THE floor i think we'll see a lot. Of, that honestly looking at It from, MINNESOTA'S perspective i think, feel, like hey let's see if check and hit shots hadn't shot it well during. The playoffs that goes back to. Last year, you know THEY certainly i think we'll play small some With with cluso almost AS a i guess there's a small ball center and then just kind of a crazy switching type. Of lineup AND again i think they'll go too big some with with or a lot to, start games Certainly with Hert. And STEINHOLMER so i think there will be a lot of different. Looks there and you, KNOW what I. Go beert obviously you Think, of rudy you think, of defense full time deepens play of, the year and just you know he's going to have to be awesome on that and in. THE floor i think his screening in this series is going to. Be Critical lou dort is as good as there is in. The league as that's got a part rolling, by me they're like, A hundreds But lou dort is as good as there is in the league at navigating screens and Obviously getting dort off of and is going to be, a huge huge Deal. For minnesota so, You know rudy prides himself is the best screen in. The league that's to be put to the test in.
Speaker 1: The series in, The playoffs Shay And jalen williams combined Are averaging, let's see this would be forty nine point six points between the two. Of them Aunt And julius randall averaging forty nine. Point four so it's nearly a standstill better one to two Offensive Punch Aunt julius Randall jal williams.
Speaker 4: So far in. These playoffs, so far in, these playoffs it. Has been it has been And joyous randall, Because Honestly jayn williams hasn't had a great, playoff series so are a? Great playoffs great postly was, So far he's had some. Good games he's not shot the, ball though he's not shot the. Three wheel he's playing with a really painful. Wrist injury don't want to use this as, an excuse but like if you saw the k job underneath that, shooting sleeve you Know what i'm. Talking about they need more Of The jade Doug from. Game seven if they get, that GUY then i think. It's, okay see because let's just be straight up as awesome as ann, is days there's the only two other guys that would put a conversation with him is in terms of that level of offensive talents the guy That the thunder just Beat and luca those are the only. Two guys this dude just average dam thirty three points a game that the league is scoring on sixty plus through, shooting percentage, you know, crazy efficiency, you know great assistant, turnover ratio like the guy can school in so many. Different ways he's the best offense player in. The SERIES but I Think jaylen williams is four and it's a pretty distant form in terms of the postseason, right now.
Speaker 1: Chet is okayse's. Third option Who is minnesota's? Third option or is it? By committee.
Speaker 4: It's, by COMMITTEE and i think. You would you could argue that it's their. Sixth man you could argue this not big or. Seventh Pain even scenzo. Nas reed, You know jay McDaniels has had some big games in, These PLAYOFFS but i think he's a guy who's going into a series like you want to you want to see if he's made. Them shots but you know there are nights where he looks like that type. Of DUDE so i don't think there's a clear cut third Option.
Speaker 1: For bill, All RIGHT before i say, you loose do you have? A lean this feels like a, heavyweight. Fight, man okay see is, the favorite, of COURSE but i would not Sleep. On minnesota are you leaning one way or? The other and?
Speaker 3: WHY oh i.
Speaker 4: Definitely would lean towards the scene that won sixty, eight games have the best point DIFFERENTIAL in, nba HISTORY and i would cite those as the as the. Two REASONS but i think it's gonna be a. Heck serious?
Speaker 1: Fair enough, All, right tim thanks for, the. Time man enjoy the game tonight should be a.
Speaker 4: Good one, appreciate, you Brother.
Speaker 1: All right The great tim McMahon COVERS the NBA for espn joins us on a. Weekly basis all of his work is up On his twitter PAGE At espn, underscore McMahon including the link to the Book that tim wrote that was Released, In, March luka Doncic And the Curse.
Speaker 3: Of greatness you can check that out On his.
Speaker 1: Twitter Page The conference finals begin tonight in the world of pro BASKETBALL with Okc. And Minnesota oklahoma city is a six point five, point favorite and then tomorrow night it is time For The eastern conference side of things As The New. York knicks we'll welcome In The boston Celtics To Madison, square garden first conference finals for the nixt since the year two thousand when they played, coincidentally Enough The. Indiana pacers, All right smity's going to join us live. And studio we'll do, some jazz some good jazz Stuff from tim. McMahon today but before we catch, a break welcome and My guy Corey From. Courtland, Roofing Corey, happy, Tuesday man how are we?
Speaker 3: Doing good how are?
Speaker 2: You today, i'm.
Speaker 1: Well buddy, all right we're talking about great deals for, roof replacements and that means folks are probably gonna have to work with. Insurance, companies, correct, yep absolutely and you can help them traverse.
Speaker 2: That, space, yes absolutely it's a it's a lot of people get overwhelmed by the, insurance process but about seventy to eighty percent of the roofs, we do the insurance company, is involved and so we can really help homeowners navigate. That process so we just had a bunch of wind a couple of weeks ago that was fifty mile an hour plus And and i'm sure it did a lot. Of damage so if you're noticing shingles on, the ground or if you're noticing missing shingles on, your roof give us a call at eight oh one six one five fifty five sixty or visit Our Website cortland roofing dot com and were happy to come out and do an inspection and see if it's something that's worth going through.
Speaker 3: The insurance, for now we.
Speaker 1: Talked about all of your five. Star reviews literally every review you guys Receive on google. Five stars so you're doing, something RIGHT and i would imagine part of that is people trust you because.
Speaker 3: You employ your.
Speaker 1: Own crews there's nothing to be concerned about as far as people working on.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 2: Homes, correct yes so we've had our crews for a. Long time we don't just go pick people up off. The street we have our own crews that we employ that do an. Amazing job and that's a lot of the reason why we do have five star reviews because we do quality work and people. Trust us so we, tell you don't take our word. For it go to the website or Go to google And Search courtland roofing and you'll see.
Speaker 3: Those reviews.
Speaker 1: All right it's the time of year where the weather still feels, pretty nice but we're a few weeks away from scorching, hot CONDITIONS and i would imagine there are a lot of listeners that have considered getting their roof replaced and like waiting for the. Right, time well today's the right time because you happen to have an incredible.
Speaker 3: Spring special let's hear. About, that yeah we've got a.
Speaker 2: Killer offer this is a one time or this is the time of the year that you want to take advantage of.
Speaker 3: This opportunity so it's.
Speaker 2: Really twofold so the first one is is if you need new, ring gutters we'll do all brand new seamless rain gutters with a. Roof replacement and if you don't need new, ring gutters then we'll give you fifteen hundred dollars off the replacement of your roof if you, call.
Speaker 3: Today today's the day you're going to save a grip.
Speaker 1: Of money and it is the time to get this done before the conditions get. Scorching hot so here's the number our Friends At courtland roofing standing by at eight oh one six one five five five. Six zero that's eight oh one six one five five five six zero