Speaker 1: This episode ma contain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Shannon. Hi I'm Tanya, and we are Crimes and Consequences, a hardcore true crime podcast. Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya. How are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I've heard a saying that January makes you feel every single day of its month. I couldn't agree with that more. I felt all thirty one days of this January as it today, being the thirty first.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, January is like ten years long.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can spend a year in January. January right, every year. But yeah, so anyway, that's going good. But I do have a good story for you. Oh what's it about? Well, it is another serial killer actually in this one, this guy, his reign of terror was in after his birth date of March seventh, nineteen seventy one, Pisces. But you would never guess he was a Pisces. Really, Yeah, serial killer Pisces not normal. Sad's Jerry all day?
Speaker 1: Well, Shannon, before we start, we better remind everyone to hit the subscribe or follow button on whatever listening to, because that really helps us out.
Speaker 2: So what do you got for us well? Today? Story is about serial killer Todd Christopher cole he Again. He was born on March seventh, nineteen seventy one his parents, Regina and William Sampsell in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Now, his parents' marriage was rocky from day one, and they divorced when Todd was just a baby. Regina, who legally changed her name back to her maiden name of Todd. She kept Todd and she did not let William have any contact with his son, so when Todd was about three years old, Regina reburied to Carl Colehep, hence the Todd cole Hep. And Carl was a man who would become severely abusive towards Todd, but before that all started, Carl legally adopted Todd in nineteen seventy six. Todd spent a lot of his childhood living in Georgia and South Carolina, and while he was growing up, Todd began to display many frightening characteristics. Todd was known as a bully around school, and he seemed to be quite proud of this fact. He would destroy class projects of his classmates, personal property, animals, and due to these actions, he was eventually put into the Boy Scouts by his mom and stepfather, hoping that this would straighten him out. Before being forced to join the Boy Scouts, Todd killed his goldfish with bleach and even hunted and shot a local dog with a baby gun. So, yeah, when this reminds me of any serial killer, you know, when you start killing animals at a young age. With the goldfish, he had actually I think he wanted a gerbil and his mom brought home a gold She was like nope, and he poured bleach right into the bowl.
Speaker 1: Oh the poor fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is harbinger of what's to come.
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 2: Now this would happen often. Todd seemed to be driven by a lot of anger, and his home life really fed in to this fact. Todd really had been angry from the time he was able to walk and talk. He enjoyed tormenting animals and harming others at an age that should have been way too early to know about such things. In nineteen eighty one, Todd was nine years old, he was admitted to a mental hospital at night at nine years old, the Behavior Evaluation Center at the Georgia Mental Health Institute, and he was sent there as a result of his mother not wanting to parents such a troublesome child. According to the reports, at such a young age, he was already so explosively violent and sexual thoughts and impulses were already controlling his young mind. I have to say that this comes from somewhere. I don't really know a lot of cases where children are born with such negative, dark behavior. It is because of the adults around them, and it will show up in the child.
Speaker 1: So we've talked a lot nature versus nurture.
Speaker 2: Nurture for sure. I think he is a good example of this. Carl Todd's stepdad, he physically abused him, and so did his own grandfather, who was known to beat Todd his grandson with a cattle prod Because of the ways he was being treated, Todd hated Carl with passion, and all Todd wanted was to be able to go live with his biological father, William. While in the mental hospital, Todd went through years worth of counseling session and his wish to live with his father finally came true. In nineteen eighty three, Todd's mother couldn't tolerate the abuse that Carl was inflicting on her son, so Todd packed his bags and went to go live with his father in Tempe, Arizona, while Regina was in the process of getting a second divorce, so Todd began living with his father at the age of twelve. And even though Todd had experienced neglect while living with his mother and stepfather, living with his biological father was unfortunately no different. William had an intense obsession with guns and had many girlfriends, but regardless, Todd really enjoyed living with his father at first, but selfishness gott in William's way to the point where Todd asked to come back home to his mother, but his mother made up excuses for why he couldn't come back home, and Todd steed in Arizona was extended. William his jad spent a lot of times on dates with various women while Todd was left home to fend for himself, so neglect there too. Yeah, Todd was a very bright kid and he was considered to have an above average IQ. And with such high intelligence, he loved learning to make bombs. Wow and yeah, as with you do with this knowledge and great IQ and rage. He loved learning how to make bombs and learn how to blow things up while with his father. He eventually became overcome with anger since he couldn't handle much more neglect and abuse from the people that were supposed to keep him safe from harm, so he committed his first recorded crime at the age of fifteen. On November twenty fifth, nineteen eighty six, Todd decided that he would kidnap and rape a fourteen year old girl. She was a neighbor who lived on the same street as Todd and his dad, and while his father was on another one of his many dates, Todd took advantage of the alone time and lured the young girl away from her house by telling her that her boyfriend wanted to speak with her outside. Once the girl was outside, Todd led her to his house with a twenty two caliber revolver one, tied her up with rope, duct taped her mouth shut, and raped her. And how work is he he's fifteen? She's fourteen?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow incredible. Once Todd was finished with her, he walked her back to her home and threatened that he would kill her entire family if she reported him to the authorities. Wow. Incredible. Regardless of the threats, Todd was reported to the police and was arrested within hours of the rape. While in police custody, he was given a psyche valuation and was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. This is nineteen eighty five, I believe, And how much do we know about any kind of mental thing? And none? Nothing? Right zero zero. His evaluation showed signs of mental disturbance, but no psychosis. He knew exactly what he was doing. He had an IQ of one eighteen, and when asked why he raped the young girl, he answered by saying that his reason behind the rape was just because he was angry with his dad and because Todd had a huge crush on this girl. So I'm mad at my dad and I really like this girl, so I violently rape her, violently attack her. I can't even think of like a medical term, just straight up dumb.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, it's craziness.
Speaker 2: It is now. The girl had crushes on a couple of Todd's friends, but she had friend zone Todd, so that wasn't going to work for him. Todd ended up taking a plea deal. If he pleaded guilty to everything, then the sexual charges would be dropped. And that's exactly what happened. I feel like the justice system with all of the sexual crimes that there are are committed by men, that they really protect men in this all of the sexual charges are dropped by guilty. So what is he pleading guilty to? Yeah, he briefed her, you know, terrible. Todd's case went to trial and he was tried as an adult. This judge assigned to his case found him to be a very smart individual, but also really dangerous, and with that, he was sentenced to fifteen years in an adult prison in October of nineteen eighty seven. He served fourteen years and was released in two thousand and one. Now, with his release, Todd was required to register as a sex offender. This requirement followed him as he moved from Arizona back to South Carolina. While in prison, Todd took college courses and he earned himself a bachelor's degree in computer science from the Central Arizona College. The first thing that Todd did after his release was get his driver's license. In January of two thousand and two, he began a job with seven sons in company in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and he worked as a graphics designer. He worked for them until November two thousand and three before he became a real estate agent, and he obtained these jobs using an immensely padded resume. But things were really looking up for Todd, so everybody thought. On November six, two thousand and three, four bodies were found at a motorcycle shop, Superbike Motorsports, in Chesney, South Carolina. The four victims of this thoughtless crime were shop owner thirty year old Scott Ponder, Scott's mother and bookkeeper fifty two year old Beverly, the service manager twenty nine year old Brian Lucas, and the mechanic twenty six year old Chris Sherbet. All four victims were shot to death. Scott's friend Noel had spoken with him as he was on his way to open up the shop that morning. Noah was the one that discovered the bodies not even ten minutes later. The crime really shook up the small town of Chesney. The town was quiet, and it was the first time that a quadruple homicide had happened there. The oddest thing was that the murders were carried out in broad daylight. Chris's body was found in the back of the shop and he was found bent over as if he was working on a bike. Brian and Scott were found out in the front of the store. Scott was found in the parking lot. Scott's mom, Beverly, was found coming out of the bathroom. The way her body was found looked as if she was ambushed right as she was walking out of the bathroom. It didn't take long for the police to swarm the scene since this was such a rare crime for the police department. With everyone in shock, the police department got their first promising tip shortly after. Pretty soon after the murders became public, a witness called in a tip saying that they saw a young man and a woman walking away from the shop around the same time that the killings happened. The police were able to identify the couple, but they were really only treated as witnesses and were never linked to the murder. Sketches of the man and woman were released to the public and even more leads came flooding in. One importantly came from one of the last people who saw the victims. Alive. The Sheriff's office contacted the last customer that the shop had that day and they were very helpful to the investigation. The customer said that while he was in the shop, another man came in dressed in a leather jacket. The customer remembered that the day that the murders occurred was really warm, so the customer thought that the leather jacket was a weird touch. The man in the leather jacket was seen looking at a motorcycle, but it was really obvious that the man had zero experience with motorcycles. According to the last customer, the man in the jacket was last scene mere moments before the murders happened. The last customer was able to provide enough details so that a composite sketch could be drawn and released. Even when the sketch was released, nobody knew the customer. Not a single person recognized the man seen in the leather jacket, which is so weird. It's such a small town, you know, and very quiet. Originally, the investigation began with looking into the backgrounds of Beverly and Brian, but the police had come up empty. They had no leads in very little information. Scott's inner circle was interviewed, but nobody knew anything that could lead the investigation anywhere. The investigators were stumped until they looked into Chris's background. Chris Sherbert was the shop's newest employee and there were rumors around the murders being related to drugs. Information about Chris being the first one shot started swirling. Scott's stepfather, Terry, made a statement to the investigators in hopes of this information leading to an arrest. Terry told investigators that Chris was supposed to attend a court hearing that following Monday, and from what he had heard, he knew that Chris was looking at some serious time behind bars for various drug related crimes. The people that Chris was hanging around were also to appear in court, and they were very dangerous individuals. Terry said that maybe Chris was going to turn on his friends and that's why he was shot. The other victims were thought to be just collateral damage. Everyone related to Chris's drug case was interviewed, but this information led to nothing, so for months the case remained stagnant. Over a year went by before the investigators began viewing the quadruple murder case from a different angle. Come to find out, Brian was looking into buying a new house. His wife had zero knowledge of this. He had looked at several houses. But why was he going to surprise his wife? Why would Brian be secretly looking at houses? Well, here's the answer to these questions, Okay, buckle up. Scott's wife, Melissa had just found out that she was expecting a baby, and after the baby was born, a DNA test was taken from the baby's diaper. The DNA test result really blew the lid off this investigation. Scott was not the father Brian was. Were these murders the result of a love triangle gone awry? The results of the DNA tests were kept from Scott's wife, Melissa for a short time. The baby was named Scotty Junior, and soon after little Scotty was born, Melissa was ordered to come down to the Sheriff's office before more questioning. She answered so many questions already, so she thought this was just another routine round of questioning. Once Melissa arrived, they took her to a room and shut the door behind her. The investigators were a lot more serious than they had been in the past. The lead detective reminded Melissa that she was just at the Sheriff's office about a month ago and when she was their last she changed Scotty's diaper. The detective then proceeded to let her know that they had taken the diaper from the garbage to run DNA test on it, and that her son's DNA did not match up to Scott's. When Melissa heard this news, she was immediately enraged and couldn't believe that the son that she had just named Scotty Junior wasn't even Scott's. She demanded to have a second DNA test taken, but the results were the same. So Brian's mother, Lorraine, came forward and told police that he was not completely happy in his marriage. Two weeks before the murders, Brian kind of lost his shit on his wife right in front of his mother. Brian and Lorraine were trying to have a conversation and Brian's wife was giving Lorraine dirty looks, to the point where Brian actually confronted his wife with his mother sitting right there, and he told his wife that he needed to treat his mother with respect. This comment started a full blown confrontation as it would. All of this now makes sense on why Brian was looking out for houses on the last day that he was seen alive. Regardless of what the police told Scott's wife, she was adamant that they truly had it wrong. Melissa told detectives that her and Scott worked really hard to have that baby. Melissa said that the only explanation was that they had brought home the wrong baby. Was Okay, somewhere, someone has my baby. This is a mix up. After she said that, she said that if investigators wished to speak with her from then on, they would have to go through her attorney. She told them that she was leaving to head over to her attorney's office to have her husband's body exhumed so that she could have a DNA test done. After eighteen months of constant scrutiny from the police, Melissa was finally vindicated. There is an answer to all of this mystery. The crime scene analyst labeled Brian's blood as Scott's and Scott's blood as Brian's. Oh wow, right, I mean Jesus Alu. The wrong names were put on the vials of the blood that were collected at the crime scene. The whole time that the investigators were watching Melissa, they could have been looking at another possible suspect. So after all of this bullshit, the case was cold for thirteen years. I'm simple mislabeling. I can only imagine Melissa like we I mean, if you're going for fertility treatments, yeah, and now you're telling me you and then I'd be pissed that you took my baby's DNA. Yeah, he'll do it with cigarettes and whatnot. Yeah, And it all started with your poor labeling. I know though, Yeah, right, come on now. In two thousand and four, Todd enrolled at the University of South Carolina upstate to get his bachelor's degree in business, and while there, many of Todd's professors viewed him as a very intelligent student with an extremely bright future. Todd came off as a very normal person, so he was able to make friends easily. He was a professional bullshitter. When news of Todd's crimes came out years down the line, none of his college friends believed a word and they were absolutely shocked. Really in two thousand and six, Yeah, I mean to be a professional bullshitter, I feel like that's usually what's on the resume of people I've dated? No, you can bullshit. Let's go to dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she Hanon's attracted to them.
Speaker 2: I'm all in. So in two thousand and six, he had become a real estate agent and he bought a home in more, South Carolina. Todd came off as a very hard working man, and a lot of friends viewed him as a tad creepy, but they couldn't really pinpoint what made him creepy, so they put those feelings aside and stayed friends with him regardless. The creepiness wasn't serious enough for them to terminate their friendship. In March of two thousand and six, Todd received a private pilot's license from the Federal Aviation Administration, and in May of that same year, he applied to take the South Carolina Real Estate Exam. But in order for him to be able to take the exam, he had to explain why he was convicted of kidnapping in nineteen eighty six. Not rape, not you tying up and raping and threatening to kill, just the kidnapping exactly. The formality is to protect both the agent and the clients, as they are often in one on one positions trying to make sales on properties. As a part of the application process, everyone must acknowledge any past criminal history and then explain what the hell happened and the description of the crimes to the Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation. With his application, Todd filed a summary of the convictions that was over two pages long. This is the absolute bullshit that he wrote. On paraphrasing, he had been in a very heated argument with his girlfriend. They were both fifteen at the time of this argument. He and his girlfriend terminated their relationship, then proceeded to chase a dog afterwards, and then just returned home. The police were called by the girl's parents since they were concerned for her since they were not able to reach her via telephone. The kidnapping charge was just because he had a gun on his person. Yeah, and you know, yeah, I just I had a gun. I'm fifteen, I'm carrying and that he had told her not to move while we talked this out, so that I was holding a gun, I had told her not to move. Now I'm charged as the kidnapper. I'm the victim. Yeah, mm hmm. So the reasoning behind him carrying the gun was because he was so concerned for his safety at the time since the crime rate in Phoenix was so high. But all in all, carrying a gun was just a stupid mistake, and kids make stupid mistakes all the time. My bad. So after this bullshit explanation, he was still given his license. Three weeks later. After obtaining his license, he opened his own agency, the Tke Real Estate. He ran this business from his home in more South Carolina. While Todd lived his normal life, he created a wish list on Amazon that had the title me and This list included a bunch of items that he wanted to leave reviews on, but this was Tod's way of disclosing his private thoughts online. One item in review left on Amazon was for a chainsaw. The review was most likely taken as a joke from someone who had a dark sense of humor. The review said that the chainsaw worked great, but it was a little difficult to use while chasing his neighbor through the yard. Wah wah, I'm glad that you think you're so fucking hilarious. I know it would have worked a bit better if he had been standing still, So I mean, he just one liners he has just Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been s Shannon.
Speaker 2: Professional bullshitter and part time comedian. In September of twenty fourteen, he had left a review for a pocket knife that said that he hadn't stabbed anyone with it yet yet, but he was still keeping the dream alive, and when he finally did stab someone, it would be with a quality pocket knife, such as the one that he commented on. Another review was left for a shovel, and this one contains a politically incorrect term for a little person. The review said that the shovel was being left in his car for when others needed to hide dead bodies and leave the full size shovel at home. Girl, Ugh, I mean barf. In fact, lastly, the review said, does not come with midget, which would have been nice. I mean, who leaves fucking reviews like yes, he's.
Speaker 3: Hysterical get number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean these reviews they're fucked up. But anyone with a dark and twisted sense of humor who doesn't know where their reviews come from may find these kind of funny. Yeah I'm not really chasing my neighbor. Yeah, my chainsaw. So Todd had various ordinary items on his Amazon wishlists such as dog toys, music related items, electronics, and DVD sets for The Walking Dead. One review in particular is chilling once we get into what the item was used for. The review was for a certain padlock. The review said solid locks have five on shipping container. Won't stop them, but sure will slow them down till they're too old to care. Another review on the padlocks graced Amazon user's eyes as well by reciting a piece of the Eagles hit song Hotel California. You can check out any tiny light, but you can never leave. So why did Todd use five of these padlocks on a shipping container? Oh? Here we go. In May of twenty fourteen, Todd was doing well for himself financially, and he purchased a ninety five acre piece of land that is located near Woodruff, South Carolina. In August of twenty sixteen, Kayla Brown was kidnapped along with her boyfriend Charlie Carver. It was Labor Day weekend and the two were reported missing Shortly after they disappeared. Kayla and Charlie were hired by Todd to do some landscaping work from his more property, and this wasn't the first time that Kayla found herself on this proper. Since she had been there prior doing the same task, Cayla didn't think she had anything to worry about, but unfortunately this time. She went out to the property with her boyfriend Charlie, but Kayla would be the only one to make it out alive. When Kayla and Charlie got to the property, they greeted Todd like it was any other day, and then they walked inside the property and got hedge clippers, and then walked back outside to where the work needed to be done. When Todd came outside, he had a gun in his hands, and then he proceeded to shoot Charlie three times in the chest. Wow. After Charlie had just been shot dead in front of his girlfriend, Todd grabbed Kayla from behind, took her inside, threw her to the floor, and handcuffed her. On August twenty ninth, twenty sixteen, Claudia, That's Charlie's mother, received a one word response via text message to a text that she had sent her son. It was the last text that she had received from him. On August thirtieth, Leah Miller, Kayla's friend, spoke to her on the phone, Kayla was able to tell Lea that she was in Greenville, South Carolina and was on her way home. The following day, at six o six am, Kyla texted Leah asking her if she was awake, and when Leah responded several hours later, Kayla never responded. So for the first two months, Kayla was kept chained up like a dog inside a shipping container. He would let Kayla out once or twice a day, but it was only so that Todd could rape her. On one particular day, Kayla was walked around the ninety six acre property and was shown three graves. Kayla remembered that the graves yeah seemed to have people buried in them. When Kyla saw the graves, Todd told her that if she tried to escape, then she would go in to one of them. While Kayla was locked in, she did everything she could to distract herself. Todd had given her some books and DVDs. She was given two small dog beds to sleep on, and some crackers and peanut butter to survive on. Kayla, like many captives in the cases that we've covered, told Todd whatever he wanted to hear in order to stay alive right. Several days after Kayla and Charlie went out to the coal property, their families obviously had a hard time reaching them. Charlie's mother had not heard from him in a few days, and she began to grow more concerned about her son. Charlie had been working twelve hour ships in his job, and his mother just thought that he was sleeping after working long hours, But as more time passed since she had heard from him, she knew something was terribly wrong. Kayla's friends also began to worry about her, and while they hadn't been receiving back from her, oddly enough, through the radio silence, suspicious posts began popping on both Kayla and Charlie's Facebook pages. Both their relationship statuses were changed to married. They apparently purchased a home together, and the two were happy lovebirds living their best life. So okay. Even if the Facebook posts were true, why weren't Kayla and Charlie responding to any text messages? Right? The families of both Kayla and Charlie knew that these posts were fake. Charlie's mother went to the police station on September three to file a missing persons report so that she could get some answers. Before this, she had the landlord of Charlie and Kayla's apartment building open their apartment for her so that she could check in on them. The landlord told Claudia that the place looked as if nobody had been there for quite some time. His mother knew that he was most likely with Kayla, so the police be working quickly by getting sell and social media records from either one of their phones. On September fifth, Leah filed a missing person's report and she told the police that she had gone by the apartment and that Kayla's car, a black Chevy Cobalt, was parked out in front of the apartment complex. Kayla's dog, Romeo, was left in the apartment without food or water, and that was not like Kayla to leave her for a baby like this, and Kayla's family knew this when they went to the apartment to check on her after not hearing from her the last time Kayla's phone was active. It pains from a cell tower in the Spartanburg County area, but the location wasn't nearly as accurate as they had hoped. The police began to go digging in Kayla's Facebook account and noticed there were messages between her and Todd about doing more work on his property. Property location was within the area where her phone ping lied, so after seeing this, the police worked as fast as they could to obtain a search warrant. A group of officers made their way to Todd's large property on November three, twenty sixteen. Half of the group of officers stayed with Todd while the rest of them searched the property. While investigators were searching the grounds, they heard banging sounds that seemed to be coming from the large model shipping container. They were able to cut many padlocks off using bolt cutters and found Kayla inside with chains around her neck and ankles so that she was unable to escape. Not only was she found in the shipping container, she was inside of a cage that was inside of the large container. The cage was compared to a shark cage that divers go in when they go underwater. When police asked Kayla where her boyfriend Charlie was, she responded by saying that Todd shot him, and she used the full names of both and Charlie so that there was no miscommunication. Kayla then said that After Charlie was murdered, Todd wrapped his dead body in a blue tarp placed him in the bucket part of the tractor, and she had not seen him since she was locked in a shipping container. Upon further investigation of the property, Charlie's car was found. The car was spray painted brown and then dumped in the woods nearby. This was just the tip of the iceberg. Todd never thought that Kayla would ever get out of his property alive, so Tod thought that this was a great time for him to clear his conscious. He told her about all of the other crimes that he had committed, and this included the murders that nobody ever connected to him. Kayla told investigators m H that Todd told her that he had murdered almost one hundred people and that he wanted to kill a lot more since his dream was to kill enough people for his body count to be triple digits. Wow, a chilling deep I know this guy had a wolf right here in the blending in with society. A chilling detail of Kayla's captivity was that Tod told her that it was easier to control someone after taking the person they loved most. He told her that if she fought back, he would kill her without even a second thought. He really only needed her so that he could rape her. On top of all this, just a few months before Kayla and Charlie were kidnapped, Todd had hired a married couple to do similar work on his property. The married couple was Megan Coxy and her husband, Johnny Coxy. At the time of their murders, they were both twenty six years old. He immediately shot and killed Johnny in front of his wife, and then he raped Megan for a week straight before then shooting and killing her as well. Their bodies were buried in the graves that caw. Todd saw the married couple stranded on the side of the road. He picked them up and told them he had some work that they could do on his property to make a little bit of cash. Todd, in his confession said that Johnny pulled a knife out and he was immediately killed. Police say that this knife was never recovered and that Todd's story of events was completely fabricated. Megan was kept inside the shipping container, just like he had done with Kayla. Todd told detectives that the woman was happy as hell. For at least two days after he had just killed her husband right in front of her. She's happy for two days. When Megan tried to escape, she was shot in the back of the head. Many firearms were found on the coal hot property. Even though he was a convicted felon, Todd was able to get his hands on hundreds of guns and various types of ammunition. Kayla was taken to the hospital shortly after she was discovered on the coal hot property, and investigators made Kayla's family aware that she was alive and well. Leah Miller was able to confirm that Kayla had done some work on the coal property before she was kidnapped, and she cleaned houses and cleared houses for Todd before he put them on the market. On November fourth, heavy machinery was brought on to the more property that Todd owned. Cadaver dogs were also brought in since Todd told Kayla that there was a body hidden somewhere, and Kayla remembered this detail as she related to detectives. The body of Charlie was found around ten am that day in a shallow grave, but the body wasn't identified until the following day. Charlie's family considers him a hero in their eyes. They are so thankful that Charlie's death helped police with solving six other murders. Charlie was such a shining light in the lives of his family and friends. His mother said that her son is a hero that was taken away from them in the worst way, but he was able to bring closure to other families. That's really a beautiful and strong way to look at your first you know, as so beautifully and such an uglyness, you know. Todd was immediately arrested upon the discovery of Kayla. Locked up, and Todd did not seem to be worried at all. Before anything else happened, he asked for three things. He asked if a detective could take a special picture to his mom, to transfer money to help a daughter of his good friend so that she could go to college, and to call his mom. He was an arrogant son of a bitch. He told investigators he had been involved in the murders of seven people. The police began to look into these claims and made the most shocking discovery. Todd was actually connected to at least two cold and unsolved cases in the area in two thousand and three. He was the guy in the leather jacket that shot Scott, his mother, Beverly, Chris, and Brian at the Superbike Motor Sports store, and this case had gone unsolved for thirteen years. During the interrogation with the investigators, Todd was such a cocky fucking guy. On the most notorious quotes from his interview Todd saying, my golf game is weak, my kill game is strong.
Speaker 3: Dick.
Speaker 2: What a dick. He was so fucking proud of himself for taking innocent lives. He admitted to seven murders and went through each of the murders not missing a single detail. When he got into the room that he was taken too for his interrogation, he was so at ease with everything that transpired over the past thirteen years. He really put it on a show by telling all the gruesome details to anyone that would listen. He was a performer. Three bodies were found buried in shallow graves on his property. He was interrogated on the same day that Charlie's body was discovered. The detectives had no idea what they were in for. They had no idea of the magnitude of these murders. Todd started out by calling his land a sanctuary. A detective in the room told Todd that his property, surrounded by a chain link fence, was more likely a killing field. One detective in the room was focused on Kayla's case, and the other in the room was asking specifically about the four brutal murders at Superbikes. Tod told the detective that he took Keyla around the ground one day and displayed how proud he was of his property. The detectives would ask their questions and Todd would answer, and after the questions were answered, Todd would continue to talk and talk and talk. It was made clear to detectives that this would be a piece of cake for them to get all of the answers. Because Todd loved to hear himself talk. It's disgusting, oh, investigators would let him go on his many tangents, taking every word in. One detective asked Todd's thoughts on Kayla, and Todd nonchalantly replied that he really wrestled with the decision to drop her or keep her alive. So Todd compared the murder at Superbikes to a video game quote. Once I was engaged. I was engaged. There was no stopping him from carrying out this murder, killing every single person in the store that day. Todd took this interrogation as a chance for him to brag about his skills. Todd went on to say that he cleared that store in under thirty seconds and that the detectives would have been so proud of him and his marksmanship. Anytime he chose to load any of his weapons, and he had a shit ton, he would prepare the ammunition while he wore two pairs of gloves just in case the EMMA was chosen to be used in any sort of crimes. The ballistic teams never found any fingerprints on any of the bullets used. Todd never left any DNA at any of his crime scenes. Fingerprints were collected at some of the crime scenes, but not a single one led to police investigators. To him, the Superbike investigation would still be unsolved if he hadn't bragged about it. Any time he needed to open any doors, he would use his knuckles rather than his fingers to do so. He so smart, very yeah, long game thinking. The gun from the Superbike Slangs was never recovered, and that was a key detail that the police could never figure out. Detectives asked Todd about the handgun, and Todd told them that one part of the gun went into the trash bag filled with used cat litter, and then he threw the bag into the dumpsters in the apartment complex that he lived in at the time of the crime. The reasoning behind the four murders was because he claimed that the personnel working the store didn't treat him like a true customer and they knew that he wasn't really able to ride one of their bikes. Todd was on the list of customers from buying a bike in April of two thousand and three. That was the only piece of evidence linking Todd to the crime, but at the time he wasn't even thought to be connected to the murders. Two weeks after buying the Suzuki bike, he filed a police report with Spartanburg Police Department and said that the bike was stolen from his apartment complex. A few days before the bike was stolen, he had gone back to Superbikes and let the workers know that he was having a really hard time riding it and that he wasn't sure if buying the bike was the right decision. But before he started killing everyone in sight, he quote did his best to ensure that no customers were around. The last customer to see the four alive was the one who noticed Todd wearing the leather jacket. Kelly Silk was the customer's name, and he had cooperated with police for years, looking at hundreds of lineups trying to pick out the right guy. The sketch that was released to police really didn't look like Todd, so it was hard for anyone to actually figure out the connection with Todd. Finally, the families of the Ford murder found some sort of peace after Todd made his confessions. Now Todd's mother made a statement for all the families her son had her now this wow. She told the families that her son should not be looked upon as a bad person. He's such a great person. He only chained up Kayla because he didn't know what he wanted to do at that time. He chained her up because she would turn him in after she had just witnessed her boyfriend get murdered in front of her eyes. He didn't know what to do, so he hadn't chain her up. He brought her food and water and beverages. He brought her something to sleep on, but she wanted Kayla to know how sorry she is and how truly sorry her son probably is. Yeah, okay, yeah, mom, he didn't want to hurt her, He just didn't know what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never mind, he raped her constantly.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna know yet because of the feeding and those dog backs.
Speaker 3: You know he fatter, right, he fatter?
Speaker 2: So right, Yeah, Charlie's mom is Yeah. Yeah, Todd's mom is such a fucking piece of work. I can't Well, he didn't want to hurt her, but he just didn't know what to do. Well, raping her is hurting her. You don't fucking get mm hmm. So in he you know, he murdered Charlie because he got smart mouthed with Todd. So, according to Todd's mother, if you get smart whalth with my son, yeah, you get three to the chests. So he murdered Charlie, yes, because of the smart mouth. And Todd had just hired him to do some stuff and to get paid handsibly for it. So Charlie getting mouthy with her son her good. He's such a great person, right right? Ugh? Kila as well as the families of the rest of Todd's victims still work every day to find peace. In May of twenty seventeen, Todd pleaded guilty to all seven murders, and he was convicted of every single one. As part of the plea deal, he was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole, plus an additional sixty years for good measure. In December of twenty seventeen, Todd said that there were even more victims that had not been discovered, and he had also shot and killed at least one person in Arizona and Todd he is incarcerated at Broad River Correctional Institution in Columbia, South Carolina, and he will remain there for the rest of his miserable, fucking life.
Speaker 3: I hope so well be bevable.
Speaker 2: His mother just a They're just a whole family of kunts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People have a piece of shit son.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh he's too hard to raise. Let me get him in. So now everyone else is the problem from your fucking problem, this piece of shit human being that you're got. A. Yeah, this is why after stories I have to like when we record, I like I'll go watch like date night because I got a yeah, I watch I gotta watch Tina, Tina Fey and Steve Carell. I have to watch something funny because this piece of shit.
Speaker 3: I know so dark. Well, thank you Shannon, Oh well Storry, Yes, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: It's quite and it's it's after two thousand, so it's in this century.
Speaker 3: In this century.
Speaker 2: I haven't been here in a minute. Oh, but it is my pleasure. I'm glad to bring it and thank.
Speaker 3: You everyone for listening, and don't forget to hit the subscriber follow button. You can go to our website, Crimes Andconsequences dot com. You can listen there. We have merchandise, just check it out. We still have to put Shannon on the website, but we'll get We're getting there, Yeah, getting there. Yeah, we're getting there. So if you'd like to hear more episodes that we do not release to the public and you want to join our Patreon, you can go to patreon dot com slash T and T Crimes, or you can listen and join on Apple podcasts. And if you sign up for first here or on Apple Podcasts, you get an extra episode a week. So if you'd like to find out about that go check it out. And I think that's everything. So until our next episode, Channon.
Speaker 2: All right, girlfriend, you take care of you and I love you so much.
Speaker 3: Love you too.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you, bye, girl, Fie