Speaker 1: William, Thank you so much for joining us on the show today. I think it's a really special occasion to be sitting down with you after all these years and get to understand the evolution of FAB India, especially in the post COVID era. So thank you so much for taking the time out.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to.
Speaker 1: So Fab India. William has always been a brand that's been associated with purpose, with of course, empowering rural artisans, with sustainability. How have you managed to ensure that the brand maintains its purpose but also aligned to the goals of profitability and scaling the business.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's a tough first question. So you know, if you look at our journey over sixty five years, that's how old we are, and you look at the journey of the Indian consumer in the last sixty five years, it's been a very parallel track. I mean, we started as an export business at a time when India needed the foreign exchange and we were an exporter basically providing access to artisanal products in international markets. And that was the first phase of our growth. And then I sensed that there was a growing middle class. This is after the reforms of nineteen ninety one, when the economy began to open up and there was a resurgence in growth in a middle class, and I felt that they wanted an identity. So we then pivoted to becoming a retail retailer. And they were not many retailers in those days. I mean ninety percent or more of Indian goods were unbranded. You know, the more elite families, the more affluent families went to tailors. Other people just bought unbranded goods at stores. And we were the first people, among the first to come up with the idea that you could actually go from unbranded to branded. That was our retail journey and that journey continued for a good fifteen to twenty years. And then I felt the need that we really needed to become more a lifestyle brand for because India had now emerged and was taking its place on the world stage. So that was the parallel track. And there was a self assurance in people, a security about look we have, you know, there was this whole sense that, you know, India is an ancient civilization coming of age in the modern age. And so we thought that it would be good to pivot again from being a retailer to becoming a lifestyle concept. And lifestyle is interesting because then because of that, we added things like furniture, We added things like organic foods, We added all kinds of products, which completed a kind of three sixty degree lifestyle offering. So you could, you know, wear Fab India, sit on a fab Inda so far like you're sitting on have tables, have your wallet from fab India, have your giftware from fab India. You know, you could express yourself in many different ways years and we found that journey really worked for us as a lifestyle brand. We made that pivot and now we are making really we're in the process of making another pivot, and we're just beginning that process. And I think that journey is going to be an interesting journey for us.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm really excited to learn more about. Because you're in COVID. You know, most businesses, including yours, went through a lot of churn and redirection. How have you emerged with a new strategy given the current consumer landscape, how perhaps behaviors have shifted in the last few years, and what's exciting today.
Speaker 2: So that's a very very profound question because what happened. COVID showed us that you should not be leveraged. So some of our retailers who were you know, in some ways competitors of ours and all where you had leverage. COVID was you know, a very difficult time for any business with leverage because basically you were exposed. And this was really a black Swan event that hit the economy and it hit retail very hard. So we were very fortunate to emerge from COVID. Like every company, we had a lot of, you know, difficult issues to confront post COVID. We had a lot of extra inventory and all, but we also saw an opportunity because you're absolutely right, the consumer preferences in that period had shifted. And one thing that exploded post COVID, which is born out in the statistics, is digital commace exploded. That is what has led to the rise of the rapid rise of quick commerce players like Blinket and instam Art. And because consumers became very, very comfortable with ordering from home because COVID taught them that. In a way, I think it took a five to seven year period and compressed it into one year, and so consumer behavior changed. So what do we do. We realized we needed to have a two prong strategy. One is, we needed to build a moat around our physical retail business, which was at that point ninety five percent of our sales. Today it is eighty percent of our sales. And that involved changing our physical retail business to taking it from a seller of just goods to adding whole lots of services that you can't get online. For example, we did a lot of interesting things with bespoke, with interior design studios, with getting customers to come in. We have a lot of gifting services, so we added a whole layer of services and we noticed that that helped bring people back into physical stores. We added in some stores, cafes. You know, we really made it about our community spaces. You're not going to drive in a big city like Bangalore. You're not going to spend two hours in a car to go to a store. But if you live in a neighborhood and it's Sunday morning, you might go to a store. And you know, many people can do different things. So we wanted to bring the joy back to physical retail because otherwise you can't. Physical retail would not have survived the e commerce onslaught because it's too comfortable. You can be sitting at home in your pajamas, order whatever you want and most of it will be delivered either the same day or the next day, or in some cases if you go to quick commerce, within fifteen minutes. So we needed to pivot in such a way that we need to say that how are you going to make physical retail enjoyable a community, a family experience, a community experience and all that. And I must say that that has shown very strong. I mean, it's a good place for us to be. But we're also focusing very much on quick commerce. The interesting thing is we sell more sc use of certain types like white Cota pajamas on quick commerce than we do in our regular stores. So what's been exciting for us is that quick commerce, to me, represents a whole new area of business that didn't exist before hour. So people know no quick commerce about buying butter and biscuits, and what are you going to be selling put tabajamas on quick commerce? I said, it doesn't hurt us to try it. So the trick about quick commerce you have to have a lot of ready inventory, which is why if you're making butter, you have it or soap. But in our case, we also had a lot of ready inventory, so we were able to quickly offer that to quick commerce players. They could put it in there five thousand plus dark warehouses and get it out to customers. But it's not a game for the faint hearted because you need deep inventory and then if something doesn't do well, it comes back and then you need to have the ability to absorb it.
Speaker 1: And exactly that's in fact, that's just what I was going to ask you because both in terms of what you're describing in quick commerce as well as going back to you know, restocking the stores, even though it's now more service led, but there is still once again that risk on inventory and and you know, building operational capital to in fact sustain this. So do you see a risk there or you feel that you've had the learnings and this time it's well mitigated.
Speaker 2: No, there's a huge risk because if you see, digital businesses have actually split into four areas. So when someone says what's your e commace strategy, I said, it's there are four types of digital businesses. You have our own web and app where we get over one hundred thousand unique visitors a day, we have marketplaces like Mintra, like Amazon. They're the marketplaces, which is a whole different kind of business because in the marketplaces you are competing, in our case with hundreds of others where the price to French you'll give me twenty five rupees up and down. Then you have quick commerce where you have to have very deep pockets and the ability to absorb huge returns. And then you have social commerce, which is all Instagram led. So the digital space has divided into four really distinct markets, so you need a separate strategy for each one.
Speaker 1: So then if we were to look at consolidated margins, would you say that? And I think there's still always a little bit of a tug with margins and having them expand correct if I'm wrong. Is that due to a large part because of again still building up the physical retail part, or is it because of a structural shift and demand that you're seeing altogether.
Speaker 2: So if you see physical retail, the rule in the game is intake margin versus lifetime out right, So let's see, if your intake margin is sixty percent and your lifetime margin is fifty six percent, then it's four hundred basis points to exit them. So you bring it in and by the time it's exited at a discount, you've lost four hundred basis points. Now, if you're losing anywhere up to five hundred basis points in physical retail, you're doing a great job in the product life cycle. Quick commerce is very different because in quick commerce you have to have the ability to forecast correctly. So if they sell Rockies, they sell a lot of Rockies, then the day after Rocky they're selling zero Rockies. Then those Rockies have to come back to you and you need to know what to do with them. Similarly, you know if you take anything in quick commerce, the game is a very fast game. It's fast and sharp and there's no room for error. So if six thousand quotas are ordered and four thousand come back, you have the ability to absorb that four thousand. So, in a way, you can only make money in quick commerce if you have figured out the algorithm how it works in both directions, and for that you really need to have a team that is totally focused on it, because if the returns exceed a certain percentage, your margin is gone and you move into losses very quickly.
Speaker 1: Got it the physical store to e commerce kind of contribution. How do you see that changing over time? And you're currently also expanding and opening news stores, so tell us a little bit about that as well. How do you see that intensity deepening across maybe tier two, tier three, or which city is as well as how the overall contribution to revenue is likely to play out.
Speaker 2: So essentially, every business is going to have to become a tech company. We are going to have to become a tech company simply because the data rivers that are reaching us are shifting all the time, and we are going to be competing with people who are using AI and a gentic AI to figure out micro shifts and consumer demand, and they're going to do it much faster than retailers who don't use the technology. So the next challenge for us is to become an AI company, an AI first company. So we have a project called the Self Driving Enterprise in which we have made a plan within three years to be completely all systems and all data responses to data have to be filtered through our AI platform, and without which decision making what I would call human decision making is too slow to be able to allow us to compete in situation like that. So we have to move completely out of human decision making, remove the humans from the process, and put in the AI. If you don't do that, you can have an excellent search engine optimization, which we have today, but people won't use search engine optimization. And if they're not using search engine optimization, all that money and effort you spent on a SEO is a waste. And if they're using AI engines to help make choices for them, then that's different because in a search engine optimization you made the choice. In a generic system, the system is made. The AI is making the choice for you. It goes to where to eat, where to stay, what to where, how to shop. I mean, it is profound what's happening. And I just hope that we are agile enough to be able to make that trying to change.
Speaker 1: So do you think today it's more relevant that you're accessible to the consumer or is it equally or more relevant to be actually culturally relevant for the consumer in the terms of is constant innovation the priority or is technology the priority?
Speaker 2: Wow, innovation is there to excite the consumer. You need technology, just like it's like saying every office building needs electricity. It's a completely non negotiable. It means that you're operating a building on kerosene in candle lights, and your competitors operating using in operating electricity. Because what is happening in terms of the AI transformation is ai is ability to crunch data and come up with trends that humans cannot see. Is that a speed that is unmatched in history. So we can break groups of consumers into tiny groups and monitor their trends by the way they drop data, and figure out a strategy for them, all of which would be very difficult for human beings to do, very easy for AI to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that sounds like a really interesting time. Has this been an experience or a journey for you as well as someone who's been building this company in this brand for decades now, to see you know the kind of transformation that can happen through AI.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember someone once said to me, they said be flexible, And I think those two words are really important because the second you get set in your ways, you're over and AI is gonna you know, if you if we don't build our business around AI, they might not be a business in the future. And I know that sounds very dramatic, But that's the change, the speed of change that we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Okay, you had the sale of Organic India to the Tatas in twenty twenty four. Yes, and you know, I wanted to understand from you your experience of engaging with some of these investors in terms of understanding again the fact that your core of your business has always been linked to purpose as well. So as you scale and ask questions around profitability and scale come up, do you see pressure from investors in terms of finding the right balance, maybe compromising on some things in order to reach those milestones, or do you find a healthy balance?
Speaker 2: See, it is a balance, and you've really struck the right word, because you have to balance growth in sales and profitability with the purpose and it involves always looking at the trade offs one versus the other. So we do certain things that I think would be very good for our sales and profitability that maybe are not key to our social mission, and then we do things that are key to our social mission, and you need to maintain the balance between the two.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, And at that time, of course you had that deal go through. The IPO plans were shelved at that time. Was it a decision based on timing, valuations or other factors.
Speaker 2: So I think that we came out of COVID like most businesses, like COVID was a period where you really a business got damaged. I mean it was. It was just the nature of what happened. And then coming out of COVID and bringing the workforce back and was harder than I thought it would be, and doing an IP at the same time was not possible to we realize it was too much for the organization to take on and we had a large amount of debt on our books, which we had taken on during COVID, because that is when you know you live you walk your talk, basically, because we kept saying we're a social vision driven company, a mission driven company, we have a strong social objective. Well, during COVID, what happened is that a lot of our artisan base was crumbling and really so we had to keep ordering some amount. So we ended up going from zero debt to about seven the course of debt, and in order to retire the debt, we sol long Anakinda.
Speaker 1: Got it And would you at any stage reconsider going down that path?
Speaker 2: I do feel that personally not not for the next few years, because I think that we have enough to keep ourselves occupied with. But I do feel that the next revolution, any FMCG company that doesn't become a company with a purpose like wellness is going to be just a commodity. And wellness is where the future lies. I mean, people really want to look good, they want to be healthy, and they're putting a huge premium on their health. And I think that if one creates put wellness at the core of what you're doing, the whole FMCG sector will be reinvented.
Speaker 1: Okay, going forward, would the strategy then be to gradually consolidate everything under that wellness player around that wellness play or is it still more about further diversification. Which way do you see things going or which way are you choosing to approach it?
Speaker 2: So, I mean the conversation on where Organic India was built as India's first wellness company, and you know, because of circumstances, we have to sell it. I do feel that the wellness space is huge, and it's part of the concept of having a lifestyle brand, because a lifestyle brand is almost like an ideology. I mean, it speaks to you as a person, what you believe in, the way you want to live your life, your values, So we want to be in alignment with those and we want to say that look, if you have these values, if this is what you believe in, this is the way you want to live your life, then where the brand for you got it? So?
Speaker 1: How much of revenue is still from apparel?
Speaker 2: So apparel currently is interesting. It counts for about seventy percent of our revenue. That's across both digital and physic. But within that, the interesting thing is that ethnic is growing very slowly, whereas Western ware is growing very fast Fusion in Western ware. So in apparel we really have the traditional ethnic, we have Fusion, which is a blend of East and Western. We have Western where and the fastest growing segment is really westernware.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's super interesting. And is that something that you found challenging here at Fabindia or you found it exciting in terms of coming up with a new line products innovation.
Speaker 2: Well, it was both challenging and exciting. Challenging because we did not want to be You don't want to be a tzara this is already done. You don't want to be a unique cloth that's already done, and you want to be distinctive. If we are offering Western ware, what can we offer that is different enough and exciting enough for a consumer not trying to be some other brand? Because they are very well established westernware brand, so why should we try to be like them? So that took us a few years to figure out our language in Western ware. And what I'm really excited about the fact that we have a language in westing with and that's that language is unique and customers are beginning to recognize it as our language.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when you say there's still scope for the wellness market, how would you articulate, you know, how you're going to be approaching that in terms of creating something that could go towards IPA. Would it be a combination of the offering, would it be a fresh product?
Speaker 2: Tell me, well, if someone once said to me, everybody's going to be forty or fifty one day, everybody, right, So when you become when you enter your forties, you start thinking about your lifespan. You start thinking about you know, the first aches and pain start coming into people's bodies and they start thinking, Wow, I want to be really fit and I want to be healthy and I want to be able to run upstairs, and I want to manage my BMI and I want to do all these things. And so that opens up, and is India becomes more affluent, and is India ages, which is inevitable, they will be an explosion in wellness.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So we'll have to wait and see how that well we're all getting there transpires. Okay, fine, So something is brewing in the wellness space. And who better than William to of course be doing this, given the enormous value you created with Organic India. So we look forward to that. I also want to come back William too. You know what you spoke about with regards to going digital, and I was asking how much of the revenue makes you see changing on the back of that. Is there any insight you can give me whether it's going to take two years five years to see that substantial shift.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to take two to three years because the use of agentic search and agentic engines and all the technologies that are coming out is going to make quick commerce grow and marketplaces grow at a much faster rate. So I can see our business being fifty percent physical, even though we're growing physical and fifty percent digital. The other thing is that with the logistics revolution that's taken place, you can be living in a really small village in a really distant district of India and still get the full selection online. And that you know is going to be It'll open up every market, every product to every market, which wasn't the case earlier.
Speaker 1: That's going to be huge.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a game changer. That's why I'm confident saying that fifty to fifty is going to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and you said you're still investing in physical and is that because it's perhaps more to be present across regions, maybe more as an experience center, or because there is also growth there. It's just that the mix is changing, you know.
Speaker 2: It's it's like people still like to go to restaurants. They might not want to go to a restaurant which looks like I mean in e commerce delivery place, but they still like to go to restaurants because you want, you know, you want to socialize, you want to meet people, you want to celebrate things. For everything else, you'll order zomato at home, so tomato comes to your home. But once in a while, you want to go out and eat, so we need to be there in both places.
Speaker 1: And the overall growth, then how would you pinpoint or define the kind of growth that one could look at going forward?
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of it is going to depend on the growth in the middle class, in middle class households, in disposable income. And I think that if the economy is able to grow at you know, seventy eight, nine, ten percent, then you know, you're you're adding you know, a number several million households to the middle class every year, and then that would mean that, you know, you can have a long runway of sustainable growth. But it depends on now the growth in the economy.
Speaker 1: Is this a good time to ask you about the Iran war and the impact?
Speaker 2: You know, the Iran war is unfortunate, it's really sad, and you know, like most people here, we you know, feel awful about what is happening. But I do feel that its impact will be felt, even if it ends soon for the near future, for the next couple of months. I mean, we don't use any petrochemical products like polyester yarns. We don't use the yarn, so we're not affected that much. By any price rises that take place. We are also one hundred percent made in India and so we are in that we protected from the inflationary pressures that will come with an oil shortage. We're also protected from any foreign exchange risk because we are an exporter. We don't import at all, one percent made in India. So you know, I thank our artisans for keeping us at home and.
Speaker 1: On the export front. Have you been hit because of the Trump tantrums that keep going back and forth or have you been able to manage that.
Speaker 2: We don't have a presence in it that we are mostly in countries with the strong Indian diaspora, and our job is to promote the brand and the values of the brand, celebrating India around the world. So that's what we focused on.
Speaker 1: You also, of course implemented this new layer around community and I think they are the FAB reward points for instance.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit more about that. So we have six point three members of the FAB Family program, six point three million members, so and we you know, we really try to look after them and we try to make sure we offer them all kinds of benefits to the members, and we're doing a lot of marketing tie ups in which we get substantial discounts, so we pass on to our members, so you can if you're in the top tier, for example, you get ten percent points for your shopping. So if for every thousand rupeece you buy, you get a hundred points, and the hundred points in some cases where we have tie ups, can buy you a thousand rupeace worth. So we call it shopping for free.
Speaker 1: Okay fun, And it's taken off.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you see, if you have an interesting project or product and you want to get it to six point three million people who are of a particular kind, they happen to be our customer base and they're on our database. So we use our database to promote a product we believe in, and in return, we give our customers the benefit of whatever benefit you give us.
Speaker 1: Okay, great. You know a lot of investors such as pram G invest and so fourth level, so beIN strong backers of your story. Again, a potential exit for them in time to come would look.
Speaker 2: Like what watch the space.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to ask you in many different ways, but what I'm essentially taking away is that yes, definitely there is something something to wait for here William. You know you always did so committed to a different way of building the business true to your purpose and also building one of India's strongest brand stories. You know, also with phenomenal investors, partners that you've died up with in order to scale and grow and so forth. Has there been a point along the way where you've questioned your path?
Speaker 2: You know, I think that you know. I talk to young entrepreneurs about this all the time. I say, you know, what makes you live in the long term is maybe not something you think is a good idea in the short term. So if you want to live for the long term, you have to forsake the pleasures like a glass of booze or a cigarette in the show, which gives you short term pleasure to live for a long life. And as a business, we have to do the same thing. If we want to be around and we've been around for sixty five years, then we have to remember that we have There are a lot of things we have to give up in order to have the longevity, and that's and often those things are in opposition to each other, like, for example, sample when capital markets excessively reward you for profits, like they push your price earnings multiples hugely. Then you're like, okay, let's try some cheap tricks to bump up your you know, because the markets are giving you crazy rewards, why don't we start shipping and they give you multiples of sales and all this, and then you're under pressure to say, okay, let me bump up the sale somehow. But in the long term it'll hurt you. So I think it's really important to be clear about where you want to be in the short term of the long term.
Speaker 1: Okay, So growth number though double.
Speaker 2: Digit, Yes, this year. We completed last year with a high single digit growth. It was a challenging year for retail and we decided to consolidate rather than open new stores. So that number is a high single digit for same store sales growth, which is I believe the best in the industry. But next year, this coming year, which has just started, we are looking at a very aggressive growth plan because we see lots of opportunity.
Speaker 1: All right, William, thank you so much for sitting down with me, and thank you for giving us an insight into the world of fab India and all that's happening here.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank thank you.