Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, thanks for joining us today on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope.
Speaker 2: This is the place.
Speaker 1: Where Rick Warren brings you uplifting messages from God's Word every day to help you grow deeper in faith and live a life with purpose. Today we're continuing in a powerful series called Toolbox for Life. In this series, Rick teaches us four essential skills that you need to succeed wherever God has placed you, whether it's at home, at work, at school, or in your community. These are tools that every follower of Jesus absolutely needs. And now here's the final part of a message called Ignoring the Naysayers.
Speaker 2: Isaiah eight thirteen.
Speaker 3: I want us to read this verse aloud with great enthusiasm. Okay, read it with me. Do not fear anything. Accept the Lord Almighty. He alone is the Holy One. If you fear Him, you need fear nothing else. If you fear God, you're not gonna be afraid of anybody else, because you know God's going to take care of you. You don't if you're afraid of people. The bigger God gets in your mind. The smaller people's opinion get in your mind. The bigger people's opinion get in your mind. The smaller God appears. So the starting point if you want to be a leader is you got to get a big vision of God because that will shrink all the problems. The bigger God feels in your life, the smaller your problems are. The bigger God is, the smaller the opinions of other people. He says, the Lord, almighty God is a great God. He is an almighty God. And he said, you know, if I fear him, I don't fear anybody else. If I'm in other words, if I'm worried about his opinion, I don't have to worry about anybody else's opinion. Because the bigger your vision of God you get, the smaller problems get. If you're the biggest God in your life, your life sucks. Sorry, Why get out of bed in the morning because you don't have a whole enough for reason, anything bigger than yourself to live for. Are you kidding me? You think you were put on this earth to live for you?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: You think God created the entire universe and then went to all expensive making you so you could live for your petty little life.
Speaker 2: Not a chance. You were made for something far, far, far far bigger.
Speaker 3: So you got to start with getting a big vision of God and the people who are putting you down. The people are negative, people are telling you can't be done.
Speaker 2: They're not God.
Speaker 3: They may be good, they may love you, you may love them, but they're not God. Remember they're not God. By the way, let me just ask you this question. Who am I allowing to play God in my life? Who are you allowing to play God in your life? This is a word for that. It's called idolatry. You've made somebody's opinion an idol, and you're not going to be all got to want you to be. They may be good, but they're not God.
Speaker 2: Okay. Number two.
Speaker 3: Second thing David did and you got to do this too. If you're going to ever be a leader, if you're going to succeed in life, don't get distracted by the negativity, by the people who say it can't be done, by the people who tell you you're not the person, you're the wrong guy, you're the wrong woman. Don't get distracted. Good illustration of this is the story of Neemiyah in the Bible.
Speaker 2: Neemiah was not.
Speaker 3: A pastor, he was not a Presu's a businessman, and Israel had been taken captive by the Babylonians.
Speaker 2: You know where that is, Iraq.
Speaker 3: They moved him over there for seventy years, and after seven years they let him go back home. When they went back home, the city of Jerusalem was destroyed and it was defenseless because all the walls had been torn down. Niamyah got a big idea businessman said this, I'm going to rebuild my city, and I'm going to start with rebuilding the wall for the protection of our city. Businessman goes, I'm going to rebuild our city. It's crumbling, it's fallen apart, and we'll start with the wall.
Speaker 2: Now. Of course, there was.
Speaker 3: An instant opposition because the enemies of Israel and Jerusalem didn't certainly didn't want them to be defendable, so they're trying to oppose them. Would you write this down? Every opportunity comes with opposition. You can count on that one. In life as a leader, you realize that every opportunity comes with opposition.
Speaker 2: I've never done.
Speaker 3: Anything in my life that wasn't opposed by somebody. With every opportunity comes opposition. Opportunity plus opposition equals God's will. So Neamiahs enemies are trying to do everything they can to stop the rebuilding of the wall around Jerusalem by this godly good businessman. And the first thing the enemies try is they try ridicule, and people will try to use ridicule in your life to stop you from doing stuff. And they tried to use ridicule. That didn't work, so then they tried. The second thing they tried was rumors, and people will do that in your life to stop you. They'll spread rumors about you at work, they'll spread rumors about you on the internet.
Speaker 2: They'll spread rumors about you to try to stop you.
Speaker 3: That didn't work, so then they actually threatened Neamayah and they said, you know, if you keep this project up, we're going.
Speaker 2: To kill you.
Speaker 3: Now we're getting serious. But that didn't stop Neamayah. He was diligent, determined, and not distractable.
Speaker 2: And try it, try it.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to keep doing what I know God's told me to do. And finally, but when they couldn't use rumor or ridicule or threats, they said, let's just slow him down with discussion. Let's just see if he'll meet with us and just discuss it. Now, they didn't really want anything to happen except the discussion to slow down the project. And four times they come back to Neamiah and they keep saying, Hey, come on, let's just talk about this.
Speaker 2: And here was.
Speaker 3: Neemia's response there on your outline, verse three and four of THEMI six. So I replied to these enemies by sending this message to them, I'm doing a great work. I'm doing a great work. I can't stop to come and meet with you. In other words, why would I allow myself be distracted? Four times they sent the same message. Notice how persistent they are, and each time I gave them the same reply, I'm doing a great work.
Speaker 2: I don't have time to discuss it with you. Now, I want to warn you.
Speaker 3: That this trap of this being getting distracted is even bigger today because of a thing called the Internet. Or any of you familiar with this. Yeah, can you get distracted by the internet?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: And there are plenty of naysayers online who would love to just hook you into an argument. And all they want to do is just get you in a discussion. And their whole identity is controlling for people that they can hook into arguments, and they get their joys out of being angry. And so you know, Billy Graham told me one time, he said, when you can wrestle with a pig, but only one of you is going to enjoy it, And it's true. You know, if you want to go take on these trolls who are just negative about everything and negative about what you believe and negative about what you do, well you're just gonna waste your time. You do not have to defend everything you do. You don't have to defend everything you believe to every troll out there on the internet who cares what they think anyway. Now, I know I'm digging a little deep here for some of you, but some of you have the personality that you cannot stand to be missing understood, and you just feel you have to correct it because you can't think possible that anybody in the universe might misunderstand you, and so you feel duty bound to explain everything you believe and everything you do. And you actually think that people who oppose you that it's just a matter of misunderstanding, and that if you would just or able to explain it to them very clearly, then obviously they would go, oh, thank you, you're right, and you have this feeling that if I just explain what I'm doing, then this person who's negative about it will all of a sudden become positive about it. They'll agree with you. No, they won't. I hate to bust your bubble, but they won't because most of the time, all of us, every human being, uses what's called motivated reasoning. You use it about ninety five percent of the time. I do, everybody does. Motivated reasoning is based on emotion, not based on logic. You think you're logical, You're not nearly as logical as you think you are. You make decisions emotionally and then you look for logic to back it up. People do this with accepting Jesus Christ. They have an emotional fear of recepting Christ, and then they look for logical reasons to back it up. But the real reason is emotional. It's emotional. It's a fear. It's a fear of loss of control. It's a fear I'll lose my freedom. It's a fear.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? Who do you think created you?
Speaker 3: But we make emotionally based decisions motivated reasoning. And if somebody doesn't want to like you, they're just not going to like you. Some people don't want to like you. I hate to tell you that, and all the explanations that you give is not going to change their mind. In fact, if somebody has three reasons you're wrong and three reasons they don't like you, and then all of a sudden you show them how logically those reasons are wrong, it doesn't make them happy.
Speaker 2: It makes them matter, and.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden they have to go find three other reasons because you've just blown that, and you actually made them mad, more mad because you have exposed that they've made a decision based on emotion, not based on logic. Some misunderstandings about you. Not everybody's going to understand you, and some misunderstandings that people have about you are not going to be corrected until we get to Heaven. In heaven, it's all going to be laid out. All the truth will be being plain. Your motivations, your reasons, and all that kind of stuff. It'll be plain to everybody. And that's why Jesus said this, Matthew ten, verse six, twenty six. Don't be intimidated by these naysayers. Eventually everything's going to be out in the open, and everyone will know how things really are, So just have the.
Speaker 2: Faith to wait for that day.
Speaker 3: Don't feel like you have to spend all your time defending why you do what you do, or what you do or who you say it to, or what you believe you don't you don't. One day it'll all come out. Everybody's going to know how things really are. Have the faith, the wait for day, and really, what matters is not what other people think of you. It's only what matters is what God thinks of you. Okay, Number three the third key, realize they're not God. Don't get distracted. Number three Never attack back, never never never never never never never never never, never attack back to a naysayer. Just leave it all in God's hands. Don't be a smart mouth, don't be sarcastic, don't retaliate.
Speaker 2: Now, let me show you some verses on this.
Speaker 3: Let's read Proverbs eleven twelve allowed together, read it with me. It is foolish to speak scornfully of others. Oh, stop right there, it's foolish to speak scornfully of others. Then God would consider a lot of people on the internet fools because they're speaking scornfully all the time about others. People of other political persuasions, people of other religions, people who have other music taste, people who don't like the sports team you like. It says there it is foolish to speak scornfully of others. If you're smart, you will keep what yeah, quiet quiet. So as I said, God would say, there are a lot of foolish people in the world, and particularly on the Internet. And if I join those people in dissing somebody else, I'm a fool.
Speaker 2: At that moment, I'm a fool. It is foolish.
Speaker 3: I am a fool when anytime I speak scornfully about anybody. There's no wiggle room in that verse. And I could show you twenty or thirty others that say the same thing. So just put a zipper on your mouth and stop speaking scornfully of other people, even when they attack you.
Speaker 2: Now, let me give you a little secret.
Speaker 3: Some of those naysayers in your life who tell you can't be done, who are negative all the time, who don't they're always commenting on your marriage and your looks and your kids and you know whatever. Those people some of them are not that bright.
Speaker 2: They aren't. They're just not that bright.
Speaker 3: It's any fool can criticize it. You know, it takes genius to build a building. Any fool can criticize it. It takes genius to create a piece of art. Any fool can criticize it. It's a genius to great to make a great movie.
Speaker 2: Any fool.
Speaker 3: You can teach a chimpanzee to criticize. So he's saying, here, don't I don't attack back. Some of these naysayers in your life. They're not that bright, and you, with your brilliant wit, could put them in their place quite quickly.
Speaker 2: Don't. Don't.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'll hear somebody will say something about me, and I think.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I could shoot that one down fast enough.
Speaker 3: And I have this little witty repartee that I could give back that would just slay them. But I never never use it. Never Why Because the Bible says don't retaliate. The key is to respond like Jesus. First Peter, chapter two says this. When they hurled their insults at Jesus, he did not retaliate. When he suffered, he made no threats back. Instead, he entrusted himself to him. This is God, to God who judges justly. I want you to write this down on your outline. I am most like Jesus when I stay silent under attack. I am most like Jesus when I stay silent under attack. And I just put it in the hands of God and realize, one day it's all going to even out. God's going to settle the score. The truth will come out. All the nasty stuff that's been said about you that's false will be worthless, and what will matter is what God said about you. And actually, when you respond the way Jesus, your critics, your attackers, your naysayers actually help you. Let me show you how this works. You're trying to do the right thing. Somebody criticizes you from the outside for your motivation or your method or whatever, and instead of you retaliating, you say, God, bless you go in peace. May God graciously give you his grace. And then you know what happens. God goes, that's my boy, that's my girl, and he gives you more power, He gives you more anointing. And so the way you get more power, more annointing, more blessing in your life is refused to retaliate. And then actually those negative people actually help you because God sees you're responding in the right way, and he just gives you more blessing. I can trust that guy with more blessing. I can trust that woman with more blessing. I most like Jesus when I stay silent under attack.
Speaker 2: Number four.
Speaker 3: Fourth thing is focus. Stay focused on God and his promises. Don't focus on the problem. Don't focus on the people. Don't focus on the naysayers. Stay focused on God and his promises. Become a promised person. Learn the promises of the Bible. There's about seven thousand of them in the Bible. Promises of God to you. First Samuel, chapter thirty says this verse six, bitter people spoke against David and talked of stoning him. This is later on in life when he is king. Bitter people spoke of David and talked to stoning him. But David found his strength in the television. Oh that's the reviled substandard perversion translation.
Speaker 2: All right, David found strength where in the Lord. In the Lord.
Speaker 3: When somebody's being a nastier, you don't go gossip about them to somebody else in the office.
Speaker 2: Just find your strength in the Lord. The Lord.
Speaker 3: I know you love me, I know you have a plan for my life. I'm gonna trust you. Look at these last verses p Someone eighteen, verse six, David says, the Lord is for me. The Lord is for me, so I won't be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? You know what people can dislike you and it won't harm you. You need to understand this. You don't need anybody else's approval to be happy, and you're probably not gonna get it if you haven't got it by now. You don't need anybody approval to be happy. You're as happy as you choose to be. You don't need your parents approval, your brother's approval, your sister's approval, somebody some friend's approval. You're as happy as you choose to be. Says the Lord's for me. I'm not going to be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? They have their opinions, So what some one nineteen forty one and forty two Show me, David praise how much you love me?
Speaker 2: Lord?
Speaker 3: You love me, Lord, so it doesn't matter if somebody else doesn't love me. Show me how much you love me, Lord, and save me according to your promise.
Speaker 2: Have you been saved?
Speaker 3: God has a promise to save you he's a Save me according to your promise. Then I can answer those who insult me because I trust in your word. Some one nineteen, verse eleven says, I've banked your promises in the.
Speaker 2: Vault of my heart. That's what you need to do.
Speaker 3: Instead of banking all the negative things people have said about you in your heart or in your mind, you need to bank the promises of God in your heart and in your mind. What God says about you is what matters and the other doesn't. Now, David says, save me according to your promise. Have you been saved? What is the promise of God? The promise of God is this Romans ten thirteen. Whoever calls in the name of the Lord will be saved. That's promise. Have you ever called in the name of the Lord. If you haven't done it, you need to do so right now. Let's bow our heads and clothes, and if you call in the name of the Lord, you will be saved.
Speaker 2: So why don't you pray in your heart? Say I don't know what to pray, Well, I'll pray a little prayer and you can follow me in this. Just say me to God. I just say.
Speaker 3: God, I realize I can't save myself. Just say, God, I realize I can't save myself. I can't forgive my own sins. I can't even solve my own problems. So I need you to save me. Jesus Christ. You came at Christmas to be the savior of the world. So as much as I know how, I say, Jesus Christ, I ask you to be my savior. Be my manager, call the shots in my life. Help me to care more about what you think and say than what the naysayers think and say. Dear God, give me your vision and purpose and dream for my life. Jesus Christ, fill my life with love so that I don't react to all of the naysayers and all the negativity around me. Make me a positive person with your love. Jesus Christ, come in and save me today. I humbly ask this as authentically as I know how, in Jesus's name, I pray this.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you've just prayed along with Rick to accept Jesus in your life, Rick would love to hear from you. Just email Rick at Pastorick dot com. And now, this is really one of my favorite parts of the broadcast. This is letters from our listeners. And now here's Rick.
Speaker 3: Friends, if you're having trouble staying consistent in your Bible study and quiet time, one thing you can do is have the Daily Hope devotional and podcast emailed to you every single day. Did you know that now each devotional, each daily devotional gives you a Bible verse and both a written and an audio teaching about that verse.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I mentioned this because that's exactly what one of my listeners has done. Marla wrote me, and she says that getting Daily Hope devotionals have helped deepen her relationship with the Lord and helped her be more consistent. Marla writes this, Hello, Pastor Rick, I've been a Christian all my life, but I felt lost for the past few years. But a friend of mine told me about your Daily Hope emails and I've been getting them for about a month now. I read them every morning, and my meditation and prayer practices have become more regular and definitely more meaningful. My relationship to God has grown because of you and the Daily Hope Ministry. I now listen to your podcast every day on my way to or from work, and I love it. So I felt compelled to tell you that I've gotten so much from your Creating Life Shaping Conversations podcast. They have really helped me as a mother, as a wife, as a boss, and as a friend. So I'm going to share them with my oldest daughter, who's nineteen. She's trying to find friends and find her way in college. So thank you, thank you, thank you well, thank you, Marla, thank you for writing. I'm so encouraged to hear how God uses Daily Hope to change lives and to help people just like you grow closer to Him. You know, I think it's great that you are sharing your Daily Hope podcast with your daughter, and I would invite all of our.
Speaker 2: Listeners to do this.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt that she is going to learn to lean on the Lord, and as she does that, she'll develop biblical discernment that means knowing which way to go and who to relate to, and it's going to help her find her way in college. Now, Marla mentioned the Creating Life Shaping Conversations podcasts. Some of you have heard that, some of you haven't heard it. They're part of a series called Talking About Stuff That Matters, and I think you'll find the whole series very helpful for starting conversations with your family and with your friends about the most important things in life. Now you'll find the Daily Hope podcast on my website pastor Rick dot com. All of these podcasts are free, and the reason we're able to do that is because the generous gifts from listeners like you. So those of you who are supporting us financially a million thanks. You're making a difference, You're changing lives. Your gifts are causing people to come into the Kingdom, grow in Christ, and become all God intended for them to be.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, he would love it. Please feel free to send him an email at Rick at pastorick dot com. That's Rick at pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our Daily Hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.