Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all Day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot Ie Board Gosh Energy. Know your power estimate, Sanielviller, twenty six hundred and twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Your new customers only thurch of centis gentof Smart all Day Electricity unierates in twenty nine percent of gas. See pcosh Energy dot E for fulties and ceas. Oh hey, it's that guy from work who goes to amusement parks alone and has to convince people he's not a creep. He just likes admiring the art design. Ali Wart back with another episode of Ologies, in which we let one expert let his freak flag fly and by freak imming flag, so we let his flag fly fly. This dude loves flags. I love him for it. But before we run this interview of the poll, let's thanks a few folks, shall we? Okay? Yes, So, first of all, thank you to all the patrons at Patreon dot com slash Ologies. Y'all make the show possible. It would not exist without you. I love your questions each week. Thank you to everyone buying ologies merch like hats and shirts and tots at ologiesmerch dot com. To everyone who supports a show for zero dollars just by gabbing about it or using your finger on your phone to keep it in the top ten science podcasts by rating it. Subscribing also helps most of all leaving a review, all of which get read by my tired and sometimes teary eyes because y'all are so kind, such as, for example, Podcast Pretty, who says this podcast is weird and by weird I mean perfectly vulnerable and fascinating and my new favorite podcast I've recommended to everyone. I am now making an effort to show up like I belong and try to have fun. Thanks Sally, Thank you Podcast Pretty, and everyone who leaves reviews. I do read them. I love them. Thank you so much. Okay, vexillology, aren't you glad that there's a parenthetical flags after that? Because who knows what vexillology means? Where does this word even come from? Okay, buckle up, got to get cute. So vexillology has its roots in Latin for little sale vellam as a sale or a curtain, and it's related to veil. So if you rip a flag, are you piercing the veil? Because that would be a disaster. This reference will only make sense if you listened to last week's Disastrology episode. And I'm just sorry. I'm sorry to everybody else. That was cheap and I went for it. Okay. So the term vexology, it was coined in nineteen fifty nine by a flag enthusiast and designer and political scholar, the late Whitney Smith Junior. And if you're like, damn it, I wish I were a vexillologist, but you're just a flag fan. Don't worry, You're still a vexillolophile. Drop that on a first date. See how that's received. Okay. So this vexill vex vexillologist, vexillologist came into my life one fateful day in Hawaii. I was on that Atlas Obscure trip with Touthology guest squid expert and as of a few days ago, doctor Mackinnaughty and I was about to get a behind the scenes tour of the Majestic Bishop Museum on the island of Oahu, and wonderful persons Hadley Anderson and Meghan Ramsey, who are Olagites and museum workers, met up with me. They hooked me up with a local flag expert, so we met the next day in my hotel. I rushed in straight from the beach with very bad hair and mascara on my face, and he was Natalie, dressed in a vintage tikisuit hit a fresh haircut. He was sipping some soda in the hotel bar. He handed me a miniature Hawaiian standard flag. We ducked into a room to chat flags. You're about to go through quite a journey, hearing about everything from why flags exist, to if you can get arrested for stomping on one, to have to dispose of a flag, to what flags have to do with conspiracy theories, to some pirate trivia, why Hawaii has a Union jack on its flag, the hardest flags to draw, which colors we don't see on flags, and why which state flag fla needs a makeover? The hardest, how to design a flag? Had a store one who designed our modern American flag? And how you two can have fun with flags all year round. So get ready to fly high with flag professional and vexcillologist Tory light Ala. It's l a I t I l atola. Okay, I want to make sure I say that right. You are a vexillologist.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am a vexologist. Vexillologist, it's not an easy one to say. Oh, it's not. No, it's not. But my day job is registrar. Oh, so I would consider myself an amateur vexillologist, but I do do it as part of my day job. So I do get called on, called upon to answer quite a few flag questions during the week. What is a registrar to I'm an arts registrar, so I manage the City Countye of Honulu's public art collection. So a registrar is a person in a museum who handles all the records and sometimes the physical objects. I handle a public art collection for the City Countye of Honolulu. Oh my gosh, so right now we have seventeen works collestion as of today. As of today. Yes.
Speaker 2: So. Tory got his bachelor's in museum studies at the University of Manoa in Hawaii and spent seventeen years as a registrar in Honolulu's Mayor's Office of Culture and the Arts. He was an expert in charge of public art collections and who flies what flags when? So. Starting in September, though, he'll be the Curator of Textiles and Fashion at the Honolulu Museum of Art, which is very exciting for him. The dude digs flags, he loves. How did you get into it?
Speaker 3: I actually have a background in our history. Really I have, might agree is in our history. But my focus was costume.
Speaker 2: I really I was gonna say, because you're very natalie dressed. You're very well dressed, you have lovely hair and an awesome printed blazer.
Speaker 3: Well, I noticed you're a fan of vintage clothing, so I wore a tiki blazer today.
Speaker 2: Did you make this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I did so.
Speaker 2: Side Oute. It's true that I have a collection of vintage dresses. Not only do they never go out of style, but just try to beat a twenty four dollars hands sewn thrift store gown. This someone else farted in. You can't. History is rich and I love it. So. Torri's blazer, by the way, was a replica of a type of nineteen sixties tropical Polynesian style sports jacket which was unlined so you could wear it in the tropics and not schitz too hard. But the originals tend to be made too small for this tall dude. So his work and passion for historical textiles involved not just flags, but clothes too. His career is like a rich tapestry, and it also does involve tapestries.
Speaker 3: And so you start dating, you can ability to date clothes on and their usage, who use them because there was a time where you know, the appearance of a person would dictate maybe their economic class, occupation. And another thing, I like to say that clothing is the most intimate of artifacts that tells you about a specific individual.
Speaker 2: And so does it make sense that you would also be interested in a fabric banner that says a lot about a country?
Speaker 3: Well? I did take a history of Texas class in college and that was never covered. So on my final I brought it up, and that was my argument. We did not study these small pieces of cloth that have affected history and have caused people to die or give their life to over time.
Speaker 2: That wasn't that was your final paper?
Speaker 3: Well, that was my final argument on the final for that class.
Speaker 2: Would you get what grade?
Speaker 3: I passed nice?
Speaker 2: Was your teacher for to write nice?
Speaker 3: At the end, I think she reluctantly admitted that it wasn't covered in class.
Speaker 2: She's like next day A good point, all right, fine? She waved the white flag if you will.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So in his Costuming and Textiles final he argued that flags were hugely important and they were like, guys, get a point. As for the tiki culture throwback, it spans at least a generation. So. Tory's mother was from Guam, an island of Micronesia that's a US territory and side note, has a very cute flag featuring a little blue background and what looks like a tiny portal of a tropical scene replete with a coconut tree and a canoe. And it also has a border of red around it to symbolize the hardships that the islands endured. It's a pretty great flag anyway. Torre's mom from Guam moved to Ohio and worked in this famous tiki bar, Columbus's renown hangout, the Kahiki Tiki Bar, until the family moved to Hawaii when he was a teeny baby, and Tory spent his summers between the Midwest and Guam. Honestly googled a Guam flag. It looks like a girl Scout badge. It's very cute. So you had kind of an interest in island culture and a background in island culture.
Speaker 3: I grew up in Hawaii. I was born in Columbus, Ohio, and my parents moved to Hawaii I was maybe like six months old.
Speaker 2: Oh, and so you've lived in Hawaii most of your life. Yes, And when did you kind of want to get into the preservation of its art and artifacts.
Speaker 3: Well, I've always liked things, stuff, and you know how they work and when it comes. And when I went to college and I saw, oh, art history, it's that, and so you know, a little light bulb went off and said, well, I can like study history in the context of.
Speaker 2: Stuff, history in the context of items, right, and now tell me a little bit about what it takes to get to know flags. Where did you start? Did you start just perusing books?
Speaker 3: So I read a lot as a child. I mean I had an encyclopedia at home, and I would read the encyclopedia and just pull off a volume and start reading. But my mother, for a short time, she was actually working at an export company, so she would sell things to the shops in Waikiki, but she worked for a heraldry shop in Waikiki. What is that so haraldry? Well, a heraldry shop would be one where that you would go in and they would look up your name and then they'd find the coat of arms for your name and you could buy stuff with that quote of arms on it.
Speaker 1: There's a picture of my own coat of arms actually.
Speaker 3: So haraldry are coat of arms?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: They all have meaning, you know the shield where the crest would have the quat of arms and it would tell you something about that person, whether it was whether they came from England or France or Germany, whether they were the second born son, or what families married.
Speaker 2: And so you kind of started with that was that your entree was that like a creaky door.
Speaker 3: So the heraldry leads to flags because a lot of flags use a similar language or are derived from that style of heraldry.
Speaker 2: Now, what's the difference between a flag and a pennant? Oh boy, howdy okay buckle up for some vexillological terminology.
Speaker 3: So a flag is usually a rectangular attached to one of its sides and can flutter in the wind, and a pennant is usually a streamer oh either pointed, so a triangular or maybe with a swallowtail. And the other item would be a gonfolon. What so a gonfolon would be a vertically hung pennant.
Speaker 2: So this is the first time I had ever heard the word gonfalon, but I looked it up and it's essentially a squareish flag or a seal, sometimes little tassels at the bottom, and it's hung from a crossbar. It kind of seems like something you'd see at the head of a formal procession, or like a mass. But also a gonfalon sounds a little too close to Kurt Fonnegut's Grand Faloon, which if you ever read Cat's you might remember is the term for people who feel united but are really only tethered together by an association that's utterly meaningless. Then I started to spiral down an existential rabbit hole about nationalism and what it means to live on a bordered planet, but also community and belonging is important. Then I had to just snap out of it. Snap out of it anyway. Torri has a ton of flags at home, and I asked if they were kept in an orderly fashion. What's the best way to keep a flag rolled? Rolled? Okay? Yes, don't fold that thing unless it's specifically folded.
Speaker 3: Well, you can fold it, and interestingly not every country has guidelines for folding a flag.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So in the US we have where you'd fold the flag in quarters lengthwise and then you do a triangular fold. There's one in the Navy tradition because you can leave the flag folded, attach it to the halliard and pull it up and it'll automatically unravel well. And so the other common way, which the UK will do sometimes, and I believe Japan, is where they fold it into quarters and then it's folded into thirds and then rolled up the last third and then tied with string. And so I know in UK tradition that you'll use a small piece of string attacked it to the halliard and then when you pull it, when you give it a jerk, it'll break the string and the flag infurls.
Speaker 2: A too much fanfare and trumpetry correct fanfair fanfare This is a trumpetery, not a word, okay, so quick aside. Trumpetry is the blaring sound of trumpets, and fanfair is a short and lively sounding of trumpets. So I hereby give you permission to say a fanfare of trumpetry, just to annoy anyone who's not a fan of redundant redundancies.
Speaker 3: But not every country has flag protocols like the US.
Speaker 2: I always think of, like how easy Japan has it. When you're a kid and you have to draw your flag, You're like, I got a dot in the middle, I'm good to go. And then Mexico's like I got to draw a serpent and some kind of bird. Some flags are just geometric blocks, and then others have these drawings on them that are difficult to replicate. Who decided what goes on a flag?
Speaker 3: So's it's usually the country, okay or the head of state.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So you look like a lot of older flags, they are just you know, sometimes one, two, three colors, horizontal lines or vertical lines, you know, stripes, and you know that goes back to heraldry where there was the king and he might have a coat of arms and it might have one or two colors, so you replicate that on the flag.
Speaker 2: Oh okay? Quick aside about the Japanese flag also called the hinumaro, so that big crimson dot is representing the sun because Japan is known as the land of the Rising Sun. And while their big signature red dot on a field of white has been used since the fourteen hundreds, it was designed formerly in eighteen seventy, it wasn't legally adopted until nineteen ninety nine. That's like being engaged for one hundred and twenty nine years. Everyone just assumes you're married, but really there's drama at home. So folks opposed didn't like a certain shift toward post war nationalism, so adopting it officially was a big deal. But it's been twenty years since it's been the flag of Japan by law. Bonus. It's pretty easy to draw, though, why is this a bonus? According to the North American Vexillological Society's two thousand and six edict Good Flag, Bad Flag, there are a few key principles to designing a good flag. The five principles are keep it simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory or an adult who's bad at drawing too. Use meaningful symbolism. Number three, use two or three basic colors. Number four no lettering or seal. Never use writing of any kind or an organization's seal that law's broken. A lot number five be distinctive or be related, so avoid duplicating other flags, but use some similarities to show connections. Anyone who heard Roman Mars Spectacular twenty fifteen ted talk on city flags might be familiar with these flag fashion dues and don'ts, which make us all now qualified flag critics. Now, Mexico, I love you your flag. What the hell man? Growing up trying to draw the flag of Mexico with this ordinate eagle eating a serpent well perched on a prickly pair. This was an exercise of childhood artistic humility, or really for anyone without a studio art degree. But I did some reading and knowing it's a symbol delivered by a god of war via a dream to an Aztec leader about where to settle what's now Mexico City, I'm like, all right, yes, this flag is very badass and it's very beautiful, and I love it Mexico. Please don't be offended if my rendition looks like a cat eating a noodle. Now, as we talked, I was holding this small version of the Hawaiian flag, this red, white and blue striping number with a British flag where the US stars would be on a US flag. What's happening here? And now? Why do you think red, white, blue? Why are those colors so common? Or do I just think they're common because I'm holding a red, white and blue flag in the country that I was born and has those colors.
Speaker 3: Well, in the US, we referred to it as red, white and blue. Hawaii, it's white, red, and blue. So that's the order of precedence for the lines.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, so when you say red, white and blue on an American flag, does that mean that the red stripes on top?
Speaker 3: So the reds red and white, and then blue is for the union or the canton, which is that field on the side.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, gives.
Speaker 3: There are parts of the flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me break me down some anatomy one to one on a flag.
Speaker 3: So flags are usually a square rectangular and the part that attaches to the halliard, which is the rope that pulls it up and down, that's called the hoist. Okay, the opposite side is called the fly, and usually the top is the top or the head, and the bottom of the.
Speaker 2: Bottom is that where on the fly comes from.
Speaker 3: On the fly being ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, like, oh, I'm on the fly, like I'm on the I don't know. I'm going to look it up. Okay. Side note on the fly is not a vexillo logical idiom. It comes from baseball, like a flyball and to recap flagnatomy. So the field is the main area and the canton is the picture in picture area. And these specific terms were necessary because in the oldie time of days, you couldn't just air drop your design. You had to like scream it into a tin can connected to another tin can and then etch it via a spent match stick on some birch bark and then let an owl grasp it in its talons to drop off at the weaver. Now we're in Hawaii. Fiftieth star.
Speaker 3: Yes, Now there wasn't a forty ninth star flag right.
Speaker 2: Because it Alaska and Hawaii same time, because.
Speaker 3: They don't change the US flag until July fourth of the following year.
Speaker 2: They don't. Yes, oh my gosh, So they were admitted the same time, less.
Speaker 3: Within within the twelve month span to get.
Speaker 2: Nice because that would have been a little bit awkward.
Speaker 3: So there, I understand. There are a few fortnite star flags made, but they just delayed it and fifty stars.
Speaker 2: Now we have a fifty star flag. What about say Puerto Rico or Guam. Let's say those become states in the future. What would we do with a fifty first? Could we put it anywhere?
Speaker 3: It would have to go back to design and they would figure out where if they would change the arrangement of the field, because there were times throughout the US history where the arrangements of stars changed. I mean people are familiar with the Betsy Ross flag where they're in a circle. I mean during the Civil War. Sometimes they over lined up. Sometimes they were arranged in circles with a few outlier stars.
Speaker 2: Okay, quick aside, is the Betsy Ross flag origin story? Flim Philam, what's the deal? So a little more on that in a bit, But a fun fact. Some folks, but not all, used the thirteen star Betsy Ross flag as a throwback to pre abolition days, which is gross and scary some people, probably a slim minority. So let's continue the discussion about US territories and plunging a flag into them. Why aren't territories such as for example, Guam in Puerto Rico and the US Region Islands and American Samoa states. So this is a discussion called the fifty first state. And as of a twenty seventeen referendum, ninety percent of voters in Puerto Rico shows statehood, although their voter turnout was pretty low, so it's hard to say how many people in Puerto Rico and general support it. So why are some US territories states and others aren't. Is this just simply a design issue? Heads up the fifty first state debate? Probably as not a design issue. In fact, as a high school student, a guy named Bob Heft heard that Alaska was set to become the forty nine state, and so a class project, he took his parents' flag with forty eight stars on it then and spend days arranging fifty stars on it. His teacher thought his projects sucked gave him a BNS, so Heft, looking for some extra credit, he petitioned Congress to accept it as the new fifty star design after Hawaii and Alaska became states, HA, and it's been in rotation ever since. Thanks Heff says he has a fifty one star flag ready should the country keep expanding, So no, the fifty one state debate probably is not just a design issue, goes a little deeper than that. And now do you think that there's any hold up in maybe adding more states because we feel too lazy to change the flag?
Speaker 3: Got room for one more? Well, they could decide not to change the flag, but I would assume they would add stars for any additional states.
Speaker 2: And what are the most common colors in flags that you see?
Speaker 3: Red, white, and blue are pretty prevalent globally for flags.
Speaker 2: What do they mean?
Speaker 3: Well, they have varying degrees. So in the US they do have a few poems, and we could actually look up The Elks Lodge has a really nice poem and describes the red, white and blue of the flag beautifully, very very poetically.
Speaker 2: So I did find on usflag dot Org that the colors red, white, and blue did not have meanings for America when it was adopted on the flag in seventeen seventy seven. However, the colors of the Great Seal did have specific meanings. So Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated that white signifies purity and innocence, red heartiness and valor and blue signifies vigilance, perseverance, and justice. So it was on the seal and they were like, I just use it on the flag, kind of like eating leftover pizza for breakfast, which is also very American. So I looked all over for this Elks Lodge poem and I swear I could not find it. But I did find out that Idaho and Michigan both have elks on their flags. Michigan has what appears to be an elk dan with a moose over a banner that reads circumspice, which I just learned in Latin is care com speak and it means hey, look around you. So Michigan, look around you. Maybe you'll see an elk dancing with a moose. God, that'd be dope. Do you ever have people show you a picture of a flag and quiz you to see if you know where it's from.
Speaker 3: They don't quiz me. But every once in a while we will run across flags somewhere with some group and they were, is this from? And I have to look at it. I don't have all the flags rise. It would be great, it'd be a great trivia. But in my daily work, my vexol logical duties usually fall under what would be the job of the protocol officer. Okay, and so that would be determining order of precedents of flags.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're very specific about it. There are approximately one million rules in terms of how to fly an American flag. But I will summer rise. So the US flag always goes on the left when you're looking at it, or on the tallest of the flag poles, or on the top of the flag pole with the state in the city flag under it. And you can't fly an advertising flag on the same pole as the US flag. So if anyone's out there messing it up with their city flag and a banner for Meta mucil and the US flag all on one pole, that's a real mess.
Speaker 3: Now, so you go from larger political entity the smaller political entity. But like the Olympics, when you have all the countries present, what order do you put them in?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So, Olympic comvitee is usually alphabetical order of the language of the host of the host country. Oh so when you see the procession of flags, it's in the alphabetical order of the language of the host country.
Speaker 2: The language of the host country, right, Okay, where do these rules get stored. Are they in a big dusty book or do you have to check on a website that changes all the time.
Speaker 3: The big dusty book is called the US Flag Code.
Speaker 2: Okay, how old is it? How thick is this book?
Speaker 3: But fortunately the US Government Printing Office does have a publication called Our Flag which can be distributed and has pictures in it, so you know how to put flags on display, and you know if they're going to be crossed or if they go If you put them across the North South street, the union has to be on the north side or if it crosses the It details all these in the US Flag Code.
Speaker 2: Are you a person that likes etiquette because it's interesting and kind of vintage and like Emily Postyle, or are do you begrudgingly acknowledge and adhere to etiquette.
Speaker 3: I do have a coffee of family post home and at work, and at work I also keep Letitia Baldridge as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about Letitia Baldridge.
Speaker 3: So she was the protocol officer at the White House for over two decades.
Speaker 2: I will be very honest. Protocol and etiquette freaks me out because there are so many tiny quiet ways to fail. So you either have to go all in and reads manners or Emily Post or just screw it and always be the social equivalent of a rhino with diarrhea, which I sometimes fear I am. And how about your wife? Is she as much of a stickler for etiquette or do you kind of make sure that you guys send presents in the right amount of time and write thank your notes? Are you guys different? We try, we try, just she have kind of the same vibe.
Speaker 3: I'll say, we try, well, we will refer we will refer to well, we will have morning discussions where you know, it'll be like we'll go to the OED or sometimes said Emily Post does does live next to the OED When we have our morning discussions over breakfast, sometimes have questions that come up, and so we'll just we'll just read the dictionary or etiquete manual over breakfast conversation.
Speaker 2: Do you have a flagpole at your house?
Speaker 3: Before I was married, I had a flag pole in my house and outside my.
Speaker 2: House really now just one the inside stay out all the time, and outside you have to take and put up every day.
Speaker 3: I have a light, okay, so I can leave the flag up twenty four. But I do not always fly the US flag. Okay, So actually I very rarely fly the US flag on my flag pole outdoors, and where I used to live before, it was near my door, you know how you have it on your Yeah, your on your front porch. And I had neighbors and they would kind of get a kick out of it, and sometimes they didn't figure out what it was. So I'll fly a flag relating to the date it's October third, or a specific or significant event. And so if they don't know, they'll come over say, oh, what's today or what's tomorrow.
Speaker 2: How many flags do you have? Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know, so like what one hundred or so one hundred.
Speaker 2: So you change them out, yes, like every couple of days.
Speaker 3: As the mood is fit or weather, because you know, you can't have a storm flag, which is usually a smaller flag you fly in the same pole, so you don't your big flag doesn't get as beat up. God, And so I if it's stormy, I won't fly a flag, but I will have flags like you know, like for October flesh, I'll fly the Bavarian flag. For royal holidays in Hawaii, I do fly the Royal standard, and I do have some of the standards of the monarchs and some of the princesses. There's ANZAC Day or you know Canada Day or Australia Day. I'll fly the appropriate flag.
Speaker 2: Or ANZAC by the by, it stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and it's the Australian version of Memorial Day. But it's in April and about a month later. Australia also recognizes Aboriginal suffering with Sorry Day. I mean, simple to the point, and among the activities on Sorry Day is raising the Aboriginal flag, which is a really beautiful design of a black top half representing the Aboriginal people of Australia, a red bottom half for the earth and the ochre that they use in ceremonies, and in the middle a yellow circle for the sun. Beautiful, simple, gorgeous. What about did you put out a pride flag at all? Or is that is that in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: I am in receipt, it's still in my office of a pride flag from San Francisco from the mayor.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, so.
Speaker 3: I haven't, I haven't. It's a really nice flag, because I will use the flight of the economy flags at home. This is a nice flag, so I have one, I just haven't. It's a nice flag.
Speaker 2: So side note. We recorded this in late June, which was Pride month, and that led me down a rabbit hole to the history of the Pride flag. And it was designed by the late artist and activist Gilbert Baker before the nineteen seventy eight Gay Freedom Day Parade in San Francisco, and it initially had eight stripes and they each had specific meeting. It had a hot pink stripe that stood for sex, red stood for life, orange, healing, yellow, sunlight, green nature, turquoise, magic and art, Indigo, serenity, and violet spirit. But hot pink fabric was hard to come by in the seventies apparently, and eventually the turquoise in the indigo were just blended into one royal blue stripe. And Gilbert Baker was a huge part of shaping Pride culture. And he was also an activist with a drag nun group, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. His nickname Busty Ross. So after you're done flippy flapping them around outside, do you have to iron them, breeze them. What's the protocol? And what about washing flags?
Speaker 3: How do you wash them so you can get them drag cleaned. Oh so, flags nowadays are made out of typically nylon, polyester, or cotton. Historically they were made out of wool or so much more hearty material. I kind of like polyester because you can get polyester that it will have the texture of wool. It'll it'll flow nicely in the breeze. Nylon's a little different and depending on the matrol dictates how long it'll lasts. And cotton. Cotton can be nice, but if cotton gets wet, the colors do or can and run.
Speaker 2: And isn't it these colors don't run, So don't put a cotton flag outside in the rain, Okay, but maybe go for a polyester or an island one.
Speaker 3: Correct or wool if you want to make it yourself.
Speaker 2: Can you get a wolf flag?
Speaker 3: It's very rare to get a wolf flag. You can have when made, so you can actually do like have a flag company make you a flag and they'll still be like hand stitched. And there are companies that make flags in the US, and there's still people that in the factory that will hands sell the flag together.
Speaker 2: Uh, but you got to use some cedar chips or something, because like, what could be worse than having a moth eat your your flag?
Speaker 3: Well, you fold it up and you put in a case.
Speaker 2: How do you feel when someone drapes themselves in a flag for their album covers? I'm thinking there's got to be like ten different musicians who have done that.
Speaker 3: That's what bunting is for.
Speaker 2: What is bunting?
Speaker 3: So bunting are pieces of material in red and white stripes or sometimes with blue and white stufs that are reminiscent of a flag, but not a flag.
Speaker 2: What makes them different? They are different lengths.
Speaker 3: What's not the ratio of a flag with a field of red and white stripes and the Union in the It's usually maybe a long piece of fabric that's just maybe two or three stripes of color and maybe stars on one end or not.
Speaker 2: That would be kind of like a costume flag.
Speaker 3: Or you can put it on your patio on the fourth of July or decorate your float or maybe your speaker's podium. You decorate it with bunting.
Speaker 2: Now, what are you going to do for further July fourth of.
Speaker 3: July, I will fly the Betsy Ross flag.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, And now I need to look up her story. Do you like her story? Is it worth telling? Or are you like, eh, it's apocryphal.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there are theories on who or who came about with the flag, and there is some evidence for that she did so a flag and with the stars in the circle arrangement. Will acknowledge that as being the Betsy Ross design, although there were other designs at the time.
Speaker 2: Is there any truth to George Washington's wife?
Speaker 3: So there's a story that's passed down through the Ross family that says, you know, they were a meeting and the generals got together and Mitch Ross was the wife of one of the generals and Washington was there. They did a little sketch and so she sowed the flag. And so there is that story that's the truth.
Speaker 2: What do you think happened?
Speaker 3: There were other flags that were flown by American patriots at the time. I mean we from them are familiar with, like the Bunker Hill flag or the Gatson flag, that don't tread on me flag, And so you have these other flags that were used during the American Revolution, and the red and white, or the stars and stripes as they came to be called, you know, really became the one that was accepted nationally.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the don't tread on me flag?
Speaker 3: It's fine, you know they had. It's another flag that has its uses and and some people have adopted it today to mean other things.
Speaker 2: Right. Gadson's flag side note is primarily mustard yellow, and it features this impossibly coiled and I guess ready to strike rattlesnake with thirteen rattles representing the original colonies. It dates back to that time and it's sometimes used in modern day by conservative parties to harken back I guess to an arrow when the country was smaller and we didn't have indoor plumbing, and rattlesnakes were able to hover in the air like a broken mattress. Spring must have been a wild era. But there are some mocking don't tread on me memes that are just a source of priceless parody. I suggest you google these. One of my favorites involves a cartoon baby snake that just says please no STEPPI, and another of a foot on the snake and the text below it. I specifically requested the opposite of this, and then there's one that retains the original don't tread on me text, but just the image of a single lego anyway, changing up flags for fun. So do you have a calendar memorized or do you have a planner that has like, hey, change flag today.
Speaker 3: I try and write significant dates online calendar.
Speaker 2: That's smart. Do you check it every day?
Speaker 3: I still have a written calendar? Oh, got me toy, I'm very low check. I have a wall calendar on my wallet home and a desk calendar on my desk at work. And they're both handwritten notations, so they have to have big squares so you can put things in them. And I'll just go back and forth and check. And there are a few historical calendars out there that are really fun to look at, you know, that have that you know, you know on this day in history, and so you can you know, add those to your calendars which ever seem the significant or that you enjoy and put them on your calendar.
Speaker 2: And if you're in the US, September's got a few flag worthy days. This episode will come out on Labor Day, the evening of you can celebrate Unions September eleventh, the flags will be flown at half staff or half masked if you're on a boat. Constitution Day aka numalogy a Clock is September seventeenth. There is National Prisoner of War and Missing in Action Day September nineteenth, and Native America Day is September twenty seventh in California and Nevada, but Indigenous People's Day is the second Monday of October nationwide. This led me to a website that sold flags, CRW flags dot com, and they have all manner of banners, including some with different dog breeds emblazoned on it. Wouldn't you know it that CRW Flags themselves have a flag. It's a red, white and blue one and it says CRW Flags in brush script. It's a choice, it's an artistic choice. Do you have a favorite looking flag, one that you're just like? Man? I wish we had that one?
Speaker 3: Well, one of my favorite flags. Is hard to tell which one is your favorite because there's a there's a flag I fly a lot at home. But a really cool looking flag is Ohio?
Speaker 2: What really? I'm sorry, Ohio for doubting you. Okay, tell me about it.
Speaker 3: It's a swallow tail pennant.
Speaker 2: Damn, Ohio, I had no idea you had what patent holding flag designer John Eisman describes as a quote triangular, forked or swallowed tailed flag, corresponding to the shape generally known as a cavalriquid on or broad pennant. So beloved is Ohio's flag. It's even sold as a necklace. So a patented pennant pendant, if I may be a pedant, So.
Speaker 3: That means it's pointy. But then the end isn't a point. It's got a swallowtail in it, so it can you can fly it upside down. It still looks right side up. But who else has a swallow tail pennant?
Speaker 2: No one? How they get so fancy they got tuxtails.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all about the hills and the valleys and the rivers of Ohio.
Speaker 2: Oh Man and ever. The rest of us all just have squares.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at the flag code, so there is a government specification on the ratio of the flag, the height in the width, and some states and other munispallets have different sizes. So some flags are a little more square, some are a little more rectangular. But most of us, in practical usage will fly what's referred to as the NATO standard.
Speaker 2: Okay, some standard sizes three by five, four x six. But what's the smallest flag? You want to know? Is it the size of like your thumbnail, be your pinky nail? Smaller? Is it the size of a crumb of banana bread? Oh, you have no idea. So I looked it up and according to the Guinness Book of World Records, there exists a flag that is one one hundredth the width of a human hair. It's only viewable with an electron microscope. Who made this? What wizardry is this? What is on the flag a maple leaf? And it was made with UV photo lithography on a wafer coated with electron sensitive hydrogen sal sequiozane film by the Institute for Quantum Computing NanoFab in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I'm pretty sure I said some of those words wrong. Please bear with me, nanotechnologists, Canadians. This achievement is small, but it is mighty. It's absurdly awesome, and it makes the palm size Hawaiian flag. Torri gave me it seems gargantuan in comparison. And now, okay, tell me a little bit about the Hawaiian flag, because what I know from being here this week is that there are great ways to make a statement with a flag that I didn't realize that you could do. And so the Hawaiian flag, how would you describe it?
Speaker 3: The Hawaiian flag is rectangular, the ratio is one to two, okay. It has a field of h stripes with white, red and blue alternating and a union jack in the canton.
Speaker 2: How did they come up with this design?
Speaker 3: So it was during the reign of Comme hand Me the first where Hawaii started trading, and so ships needed ways to recognize themself when they went to foreign ports. And so when Hawaii started trading outside of Hawaii, it needed a flag to be recognized, and so they came up with the Hawaiian flag, and it was drafted by a British officer.
Speaker 2: Side note. Kamer Maya the Great was a ruler who united the Hawaiian Islands in the late seventeen hundreds. And here's a fun tidbit.
Speaker 4: His full name is Colony put Yer for here Kalekini Klikui kamemer oh your leney ekibik pooh kaui khly holy ho ku nu ya ka.
Speaker 2: Another fun tidbit, I did not say that Hawaiian born patron Iris McPherson did because I did not trust my mouth and brain and eyes to get it together.
Speaker 4: On her colony put yer for here kale kini KLi kui kamemer oh your leney ekibik pooh kaui khly holy.
Speaker 2: Ho ku nu ya ka. Anyway, ruled through eighteen nineteen, and this has nothing to do with anything, but one of his wives took the throne after his death, and among the things she changed was that women were finally allowed to eat bananas. It's bananas. She was also Protestant. There was a lot of badness with missionaries. Eventually, the US took control of the Kingdom of Hawaii in eighteen ninety three in an overthrow that Congress Assistance admitted was illegal. Which is why, just in general, a Union jack flag seems a little awkward. It's kind of like dating someone who still has their excess named tattooed on their stomach, and maybe that was a toxic relationship, but also they never wanted to date you, but you're forcing them illegally. Anyway, everyone just shrugs like wow, that's a lot of bad stuff.
Speaker 3: And it does hold the Union Jack because of the close alliance between Hawaii and Britain at the time. Now, come hand me. The first liked flags too, so he would just fly whatever flag he liked at his compound.
Speaker 2: Now, what is flown most commonly in Hawaii?
Speaker 3: You see the Hawaiian flag. Now, the Hawaiian flag, as far as I know, is the only flag that has flown unchanged for five different forms of government.
Speaker 2: Why is that? Why didn't they switch it up at all?
Speaker 3: I guess for continuity. I mean it flew under a absolute monarchy, constitutional monarchy, a republic, a territory, and a state, and they did not change the.
Speaker 2: Flag when it became a state. The US didn't say like, okay, real cute, you got a Union Jack. That air is over people.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it was the territory and they just they kept the flag.
Speaker 2: And I have heard a little bit about the way the flag is flown can express different viewpoints, sentiments, protestations. Perhaps is it flown upside down right side? What? What does it mean?
Speaker 3: So when a flag or any flag is flown upside down or visibly upside down, it's a sign of distress, a little helpless. So it's usually like maybe sending out an SOS signal to somebody, because there was a time where flags were our communication. So when a ship came into port and you're expecting somebody to be on that ship, if you saw their flag at half mast mask on a ship, you knew somebody had passed away. If it was flying upside down, you know that that ship was in trouble or distress.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you'd have to know a little bit about the flag that you're looking at.
Speaker 3: Correct right, And then some flags they look the same right side, right side up or upside down.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what do you do?
Speaker 3: There'd be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so what does it mean in the Hawaiian flag if it's flown upside.
Speaker 3: Down, Well, that is a sign of distress, and some people in Hawaii do flat upside down as a sign of protests.
Speaker 2: I found it fascinating that we were told by guides like, oh, you know, if you look at the flag this way, and I thought that was a pretty powerful statement. It's funny that the flag is demands a certain kind of respect and that the people can talk back to authority by using the signal of the authority itself.
Speaker 3: You know, So there is some protests, I mean there have been that, there has been a sovereignty move in Hawaii, and currently there is actually a antied development movement in some locations of Hawaiian So they'll fly the flag upside down as a protest.
Speaker 2: So inverting a flag has long been a statement by indigenous populations, and a Lakota activist, Russell Means, once said an upside down flag is an international sign of distress. Now we the Indian nations are in distress. I will wear this flag upside down as long as my people are in distress. Tori says, you can fly the Hawaiian Royal standard flag upside down instead of the Hawaiian flag if say you're supporting the Hawaiian sovereignty movement or protesting the building of the thirty meter telescope on top of a sacred volcanic summit. Remember, Tory is a gentle soul who respects etiquette, but protests aren't necessarily supposed to tiptoe around the feelings of the oppressors. Now, if you're going to piss someone off of a flag, you got to make it a real burn. Ooh which reminds me if you burn the flag, will you get thrown in jail.
Speaker 3: So you can burn the flag on the first Amendment, but you may also burn a flag to dispose of it. So there are a couple of ways of disposing a flag. So when a flag is tattered or worn so it is a rectangle, and when the ends freight, you can you know, hem it so you can get some more life out of it. But when it starts really falling apart, the color is really fade, you can cut it up so it's no longer flag. You know, you cut out the canton so it's just the stripes and you just cut up into little pieces. Then you can throw it away because it's no longer flag, or you can ceremoniously burn it. And so I know a lot of veterans groups and a few scout groups that will do it. So if you have your you know, you take your flag to your local flag shop. They may be able to give it to somebody and it's usually folded and then placed on a fire.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was thinking you just toss it in like an old bath towel, but that makes more sense that you would do it more ceremoniously.
Speaker 3: Because it is it is a national symbol, so you can treat it with signs of respect and even the touching the ground. I mean, okay, if you're somewhere and a flag falls down, you didn't mean for that, that's okay, But you know you don't want to drag the flag on the ground purposefully. You know you want to take care of this national symbol because you have to remember time. I mean, we use the term flag, but they're also known as standards, are colors. So when you were in a unit or you went to battle, it's not like you had like you know, you didn't go to their flagstore and buy twenty flags. No, you had a flag. You had your color guard who would protect the colors along with the color bearer or the color sergeant. And that was your rallying pointer nationals or your symbol of your unit or your nation. So that was your one flag. You didn't have lots of flags going around, Okay.
Speaker 2: So side note, Back in the day, wars would be won or lost based on the flag, Like if someone snatched your flag, you lost a war. Hence the game Capture the Flag. So if you're a person who's like let's just be a fabric. Everyone just chill out. I e me Ali Ward. I guess you have to see it in the context of a bunch of dead people to whom these colorful tablecloths meant they had new overlords. And now what do you think of people who put American flags on their cars? Around fourth of July or after September eleventh? Did you ever see that? Did you guys have that here?
Speaker 3: Yes? Why not do that more often?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm wondering about that. I mean, this is a side note, super side note. But around after September eleventh, I remember I did road trip and I happened to go to Las Vegas to meet up with some people from work. Aside the point, I kept seeing these flags on the side of the road and tumbleweeds, and so I started to pull over and get them because I thought it was so interesting that they were just being shed from cars like this Patriotism was kind of sluffing.
Speaker 3: Off, fell off the car, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: And so I would see one up ahead, I'd see the red in a bush or a tumbleweed, and i'd I had a meod at the time, and it'd screwed so dangerous and then I'd go out and i'd grab the flag, and then I had a sharpie and I would mark where I got it from and the date, and then I would roll it up and put it all together. And I did it. It's been it's been eighteen years since September eleventh, and I think I have like fifty or one hundred flags. Then they're from all over the country from just driving and being like, oh there's one, and I've missed so many because it would have been.
Speaker 3: So you're axologist.
Speaker 2: I like, it's like I'm a vexillologists and I want to put them up somewhere. But it's interesting to me how they're different textures, different amounts of tattered. But I wondered how a vexillologist felt about automotive ones if they're prone to falling off. Is that like, yay, you're flying it or oh no, you're endangering it.
Speaker 3: Well, do you like having a flag on a car? And you know there are those devices that you can clip to your window, but there is also there's actually a protocol for attaching it to vehicles.
Speaker 2: Really what is it?
Speaker 3: So you don't see it too often anymore, But there was the time where you'd actually have a post physically mounted to like the front bumper of your car, and so it's very very secure, and the flag would be on there, and the flag is not just stable, it's actually well attached to the post. And then you could drive around with the flag on the.
Speaker 2: Vehicle, almost like a presidential motorcade situation. Correct. I feel like that's the only time I've seen one like that, is like on a presidential limousine, and.
Speaker 3: I have seated on like flag officers.
Speaker 2: Let's switch gears from automotive flags to global ones. Guess how many countries are in the world. Before I Google this today, I was like one thousand, four million. I had no idea there are one hundred and ninety five, which means there are one hundred and nine country flags you can memorize to impress people. My nephew did this, he was seven. We were all very impressed. Now, what do you do if you don't have a brain as sharp as a seven year old? I bet that there are flash cards where you can flash a card and have to guess. There's got to be a There got to be a parlor.
Speaker 3: Game there that was more common in the nineteenth century. You'd have like member of secret cards mm hmm, And so you'd have secret cards that's flags on them, and just so you could carry these around and think, oh, I know what that flag looks likegger, I know what this flag looks blagger.
Speaker 2: It's back in the it back in the day. I think there's got to be a parlor game. Did I look this up? Of course? Is there? One? Of course? Flags of the World is a board game you can play guessing the flappers of countries and the game. Captain on YouTube provided a twenty five minute video tutorial and a review. So the first who says over ninety percent of the population or Albanians in this country which lies north of Macedonia, is it correct? So if you want to get good at flags, get your mits on Flags in the World. I did notice that it's for people eight years and up. And I'm sure that my seven year old nephew would kick all of our asses and just hand them back to us on a platter and we would be impressed. Did you ever play flag football?
Speaker 3: I did play flag football.
Speaker 2: Were you like, I'm only using American and Hawaiian flags?
Speaker 3: Well, you have to remember it when the term flag doesn't have to be these these symbols. It can also mutilitarian, you know, like flag, football, sprinkler flags, a checkered flag, they have other meanings. And the more utilitarian semil four flags.
Speaker 2: What about uh surrender flags?
Speaker 3: That's more of an utilitarian tool because it didn't stand for anybody. If it's the white flag?
Speaker 2: Was that just someone taking gauze off?
Speaker 3: And could be anything? I mean, you know, if you have to surrender, you use whatever you have.
Speaker 2: If someone take their underpants off, I got a wave something here? Can I ask you questions from listeners?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, but before we unfurl your questions, a few words from sponsors of the show, who make it possible to make a donation to a charity of each ologists choosing, and this week Tori said he'll go with Connecting to Collections Care, a program under the American Institute for Conservation that provides resources to those individuals and institutions working with collections and it helps smaller cultural institutions provide well informed care for valuable collections. So it's supported by the Foundation for Advancement in Conservation, which seeks to increase understanding of our global cultural heritage, and that donation is made possible by the following sponsors that I like very much. There'll be a link in the show notes to that nonprofit and to the sponsors. Okay, onto your flag inquiries. Okay, so exciting, one hundred and five questions about flags. People have been wanting this one for a while. Jack asked, Isle of Man, what's going on there? I have no idea what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: The Isle of Man, I believe, is the only flag with a triscal It's a three extended device on a field of red.
Speaker 2: A three extended device, like.
Speaker 3: How you have across would be four extensions. They actually have three extensions. I'm trying to mur it if it's arms or legs.
Speaker 2: How did they get permission to do that?
Speaker 3: I believe it goes back to heraldry, because those limbs are our a heraldic device.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was like, fuck is this flag? So I looked it up and the Isle of Man is an island right smack between Ireland and England, just floating between them like an only child of a divorced couple. And according to our friend Workerpedia, it is a self governing British Crown dependency, so its flag is red with three armored Knight's legs smack in the middle, just like a wheel of disembodied legs that have found each other and formed a new, terrifying entity that loves jogging. But just when you think that's weird, like a human centipede made of robo legs, you get a gander at Cicily's flag, which is the same leg configuration, but naked and with a face in the middle that looks like if Barbie got stoned and went to olive Garden. They also tossed in a pair of angel winks and some leafy dongs. You thought flags were boring, didn't you. Hell no, people at them on fire, They die for them. They have grassy looking dicks on them. So many of you wanted to know why they even exist, like, for example, Tarin Fernanz, Jack Steph, Julie Bear, Heather Deckle, Erica, Ellen Vossakiel Holly Andrews, Deli Dames, and jam Cruise. First time question asker says, was there a specific moment when flags became a thing for every country?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a good question because I would say flags and its use I mean go back to like Babylonia, m HM and the Romans use them, okay, in different styles and different ways in penance and gonfalons as we use. But I think probably this is my opinion. You know, with the United Nations, the League of Nations or the United Nations, and then the Olympics is where you really needed something to rally behind politically, not necessarily for military. So I think flags really became a more popular and more visible. And it's at the Olympics where you actually saw a duplication. Like there would be times where the country would have almost the same flag, oh sometimes the same color in the state, and so what do you do? It's like, you know, you show up at the party with the same dress. What do you do?
Speaker 2: Same gown as the oscars? You gotta change it? Now? Is that your favorite part of the Olympics. Are you there for the open cermony?
Speaker 3: I like the opening ceremonies?
Speaker 2: Okay, mark your calendars for July twenty fourth, twenty twenty Opening ceremonies, Summer Olympics, Tokyo, Japan. Flag of Palooza. There will be a quiz. Hadley wants to know did you love the fun with flag segment? On the Big Bank Theory, It's called fun with flags.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it. It could have been expanded and it you know, we've been doing that for a while. So yes, the fund with flags, this was enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Zaan Lee Bradley, Oh, hi Hadley, I know, I was like, I just realized that Hadley Hadley works at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii. Introduce me to Tory. She is a peach now. The next topic was also on the mines of patrons Megan King and Aviva Elizabeth Zane Liebram wants to know are there any vessels out there that still fly the black Jolly Roger flag? And yes, why do they do it? What is it?
Speaker 3: Okay, so there are there are different So people think of the Jolly Roger as the one, and I've actually seen a Molly Roger. Oh so it's actually a kind of nine tails and the skull has lipstick on it. Modern modern doesign it came with the Molly Roger. But you have these pirate flags and they were slightly different, like I think Edward Teach had like a skeleton and a heart and so they actually had meetings, but they were the black flag of the pirates and not to endorse piracy. But you know, there are those pirate ships that you can go on parties on, they do fly the pirate flag.
Speaker 2: And why did they have that? Jolly Roger was that just like a oh shit, we're here and we're going to mess your stuff up, so watch out everyone.
Speaker 3: Well that that was the way that ships communicated with each other, and so sometimes a ship would fly a false flag to get in close, and when they attacked, then they would fly up whatever flag that they're flying under. So private cheers, remember privateers were the legal pirates, and then you had pirates.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that privateers were legal pirates.
Speaker 3: So a pirate would be raiding other ships, and a private cheer was somebody waiting for their country under they were sanctioned.
Speaker 2: Ugh, so then they were just thieves and then they were like, I'm thieves for my country.
Speaker 3: Wow, privateers.
Speaker 2: So what do you think of false flag conspiracy theories?
Speaker 3: False flag conspiracy theory, Oh, I'll.
Speaker 2: Put it aside here. Some people think that some tragedies are inside jobs, like, for example, the fleshy embodiment of human conflict. Infra warr's host Alex Jones for a long time denied that mass shootings such as Sandy Hook were real, saying it was quote a giant hoax. Now, he has since admitted in a deposition that those assertions were quote a foremost psychosis where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I'm learning a lot of things aren't staged. Quote. Now, the term false flags comes from pirate ships flying other countries flags during attacks and that misled their victims in terms of like who's to blame for this? But pirates and conspiracy theorists aside. Some false flags apparently have totally existed. The conflict that led US into the Vietnam War, the Gulf of Tonkin conflict in the mid sixties that was used to justify the US involvement the Vietnam War. Turns out part of that attack on US naval ships was an outright fabrication. Now a less super serious issue. How ugly are city flags? Again? Roman Mars ted talk illuminating as hell. It made me look up the LA city flag, which features these zigzag bands of color. There's green, gold, and red with the city seal just plunked right in the middle. Now, in a twenty fifteen Timeout article titled quote we need to talk about the Los Angeles city flag, This flag was described as a Rastafarian clip art nightmare. Can we switch it up? I wondered, kenn a city built on a culture of before and after photos, change its flag. I am not the only concerned citizen with this question, as patrons including Saratary, Jessica frizz Ezra, Carolynchmikeen, Dorian Gray, Megan MacLean, Christopher Rojo, Leanna Ira Gray, and Todd Peterson all wanted to know. Schmitty Smith wants to know how best should folks go about trying to update a bad city flag? Are grassroots movements like the People's Flag of Milwaukee common.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually have a listing of American city flags, and there was a Ted talk a while ago, and I got a few flag queries about my city flags Orr, I work, and I have to say, there are a few cities that actually have changed their flags, really yes, and so I have heard of. I believe Sacramento was one that with the last few years where they actually change the city flag and they have a contest. And surprisingly there are a lot of contests that go back to these flags, even for one hundred or so years, to have contests to submit designs and then they get reviewed and approved. And so yes, you could go about changing your city flag or municipality or locality. If some of them don't have any, so you could propose one. And I so you go before your your local council or committee and propose a flag.
Speaker 2: Make some noise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the Honolul flag is one of those that was considered not so nice because they just took the city seal and they took on a field of yellow. But specifically it's you leave me a yellowcal that's this island flower. But you know, you could do something else like use maybe some heraldic device or if there's there's a landmark or a bird or a flower, and incorporate that into your flag. And I have to agree with some of the people on that Ted talks to say, if you're going to put text on your flag, it's probably not a great flag.
Speaker 2: Oh good, good call. You know you should be able to say it in imagery.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, right the iconography of.
Speaker 2: An iconography call. There's a show called Community and they had a flag made for their school but it looked like an asterisk. But it wasn't well received. I've heard of the show, yes, no, yeah, it features a large pink asterisk. It looks like this is classic Greendale. A place deserves an AINUS flag. Natalie cruz Aguayo asks how do you feel about the current kneeling versus standing for the flag debate in the US, and how do you personally believe that flag should be respected.
Speaker 3: I believe the flag should be respected him because it is the US flag is our national symbol, so I mean we should respect it. If you're in the military, you render honors or salute. I try and stand whenever it is and you should face either the flag or where the music is coming from. The civilian salute is to hand over your heart or take off your hat. But I think a respect should be given to the flag. It is our national symbol, so there are other ways of expressing other actions. At least for our national symbol, wheel should stand behind.
Speaker 2: Different people have different views on this. In America, some people feel that the flag has been kind of reappropriated as a symbol of nationalism and a nostalgia for a time when people had fewer personal freedoms. So I think to use it to amplify the voices of people seeking the freedom this nation was founded on is a respectful means to You may disagree, that's okay too. Anyway, I changed the subject to hands overhearts, specifically mine I have. I got my hand stuck in an escalator when I was four, and I have terrible scars in my right hand, and it's fine now, but at the time, I was like pretty stoked that. I was like, I always knew which hand to put over my heart because I was like four, So I was like, which one do I put And I was like, yeah, that's the one with the scars, And so then I could always tell my hands apart it was. I wouldn't recommend getting your hand stuck in an escalator, though there are better ways of figuring it out. Let me see. Uh ooh. Ashley Herbal has a great question with space exploration expanding, should we have an official Earth flag to represent ourselves when we find other life?
Speaker 3: There are Earth flags, so what are they? There are actually several. There hasn't been one that's been approved or recognized by everyone.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: There are like SETI flags, and then there's like you have the Earth Day flag, which has the picture of the Earth on it. There's another one I like, which is actually developed in the US where you actually just have an arc of yellow that represents the Sun and then like little dots for the planets, and then the large one that represents the Earth. And so there are other science flags out there. Some of them are geometric patterns with different colors to represent the arrangement of Earth in the Solar System. But now there are kinetary flags out there already.
Speaker 2: Now do you fly them on Earth Day? Do you fly an Earthway flag?
Speaker 3: So I have one of these science Earth flags and I will fly it on days related to science.
Speaker 2: Really, like what are their science days? Are they? Oh?
Speaker 3: I I'm trying to remember there was there was a walk for science. I think I think maybe if I had Madame Curie's birthday, or maybe when the Nobel Wards go out, or maybe when the Voyager pro anniversary or something like that, I'd fly that flag.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm just gonna I'm gonna start having to get flags. Now. Did you know that National Moth Week is the last week of July, Because now you do. I just went to see if there are any moth themed flags out there, and sadly no, But it does seem the perfect time to fly a woolen flag that's been moth eaten, a moth buffet of freedom and fibers. Meredith, what we wants to know is there any significance in countries that have flags of the similar patterns and same colors but in different order, like France versus Paraguay, Belgium versus Germany, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Well, you have a lot of those we could say old world flags where they really are established and basing on national colors, so they're very, very simple. And so those are older flags as opposed to some of the modern flags where you have a little more iconography on or modern iconography. So you have like the Scandinavian cross, like all the countries of Scandinavia, it's that same cross pattern in different colors.
Speaker 2: So side note, why do so many Scandinavian countries have that Nordic cross motif? I was like, hmm, there's gonna be some old good Viking shit like maybe where the land intersex with the sea, or like the latitude of the summer sun. But now it's just a straight up Christianity symbol. So what about flags that look like Neapolitan ice cream?
Speaker 3: You know, it's like the tricolor of the French tricolor I mean you have you know, Ireland and Italy. It's it's basically using national colors just on a flag.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so it's just kind of like, hey, we're.
Speaker 3: Cousins a little bit, or the flags are old enough. We just needed we just needed a couple of colors on it.
Speaker 2: Back then, back of the day.
Speaker 3: We just needed one or two colors on the flag, and it was just one color or two colors.
Speaker 2: And Vendreda wants to note if you have a least favorite US state flag.
Speaker 3: A least favorite US state flag, well, there are a few that are just fields of blue with the coat of arms of the state on it and the date, and you know they're they're not as engaging as some of the more colorful ones with hidden iconography.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to look this up, but I did on a whim. Holy shit, look up all the state flags in the United States. So many are a seal on a field of blue, like take a page out of ohig book makes something weird? Or Oregon. Oregon has a front and back there's a cartoon beaver chilling on a log on the back, just like New Mexico, a bright golden yellow with a red sun motif to honor Pueblo roots. Hell yeah, Marilyn's flag looks like a jumble of wallpaper swatches or a magic eye poster. But I respect the daring of it. Those are all dues, a don't. I'm looking at you, Mississippi with a Confederate flag in your canton. So, Mississippi's flag, dating back to eighteen ninety four, some have called state sanctioned hate speech, and it continues to fly. There's a Mississippi born artist, though, named Laurence Dennis, and she's proposed a new design. It's cleaner visually emotionally, but numerous bills to make it the new Mississippi Stave flag have failed. Mississippi, Can you do me a solid? Get this shit together? It's twenty nineteen, and says So. I recently found out that pledging allegiance to a flag is sort of an American thing, and as a kid, I always felt really weird doing it, and now I feel like a lot of other people do too, So I don't feel so weird essentially, in terms of flag history, especially globally, Are there any other countries that pledge allegiance to a flag?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question. I do know other national anthems, some with words, some without words. M some a little more long, some a little short. I'm not familiar with other pledges ps.
Speaker 2: You know the under God part that was added much later. You can thank President Dwight Eisenhower, who just wanted to toss it in because he thought it would freak out communists. That's a fun thing to talk about at dinner with your new girlfriend's parents. Get into it. A few people asked where's the purple? Those people's names, I will now say with my mouth they are Jack, Helen Roussette, and Samanthy. Why aren't there more? Why is there a lack of purple, asked Samantha e in flags.
Speaker 3: Well, remember purple was the royal color, and so how many monarchies do we have or runny of.
Speaker 2: The country, so it still would be a symbol of royalty.
Speaker 3: Yes, you go to a ren fair and you're wearing purple, the queen might pick on you.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, because you should not be wearing that purple. Oh my god, good to know the royal color. I don't want to get hazed by a renfair queen. Yeah, that sounds like a nightmare. She might have your head on a stick, or throw pepsi on you not to get your leg I know, quick aside, why was purple such a royal color? Well, because it was expensive as hell. It was gathered from mollusk shells, so Queen Elizabeth I first wouldn't even allow non royals to wear it. Now, one flag that's purple is the Native American and First Nation Iroquois Confederacy, and it features a string of four boxes with a tree in the middle, and it's flown to represent unity with other tribes. Now why is it purple? Also mollusks? It's based off a wampum belt made from shell beads. Now, vexillology, malacology all up in each other's history. Conchology is a study of shells. Should I do it? Shell?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Also side note, Iroquois is a name given to the tribe by colonists, but they call themselves the Hoda Nishone, which is way more beautifuler word. Now, this next question is about a flag that looks like two triangle pennants on top of each other, just like gives no fucks about being a rectangle and instead represented mountains and later two prominent religions in the region. A bunch of people asked about it, including first time question asker Kelty's Laney Live Schaeffer, Todd Peterson, Sean McGregor, and Graham Tattersall. Zillard Glylai wants to know why is Nepal's flag so cool?
Speaker 3: That is a cool flags. So basically it looks like like dagged triangles. It's very very tall or long. Oh it's not square, okay, And so you know that that is a country where you have prayer flags or pennants being flying. So it's very similar to something you may have had previously before what's known as modern flags. So I opine that it could be an adaptation of that.
Speaker 2: Nathan Andrew Leeflight asked a question I feel like a lot of people probably have this question. A Viva Elizabeth also asked it, are there official guidelines for when to fly flags at half mass and who is empowered to make that decision?
Speaker 3: Yes, so there are guidelines. It's in the flag code, and there are specific days that you fly a flag at half mass like Memorial Day and then to fly a flag at half mass or half staff mass or ships and oh staffs are on ground have to come from executive order of the president, and so that would dictate all US flags in the country, and subsequently that would be state flags and municipality flags. Because the American flag is always the highest.
Speaker 2: How long are they supposed to stay down?
Speaker 3: That depends on the executive order. So the executive order that goes out would go for the time periods like usually a day or the weekend or a week. But for sitting politicians, I'd have to double check this. But I think if a president dies in office, flags are at half mass for thirty days. Wow, and then it goes down from there.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's if a president dies in office. Correct, What if the country's not sad about it?
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding, that's HiT's the joke, just kidding. But I could check the flag code. I did bring you with me.
Speaker 2: I kid, I kid. We all know that vice presidents are scarier. Anyway. Delhi Dames wants to know what's the oldest flag that you know of?
Speaker 3: The oldest flag I know of, Well, there are in existence. I don't know what an existence, but I do know that you know, in Babylon, Babylonia, they would have standards polls and they would have tablets on them, and then later on the Roman legions would have a staff and it may have streamers, but it have devices. So like how we have the eagle on the top of the flagpole, they may have an eagle or another bird or some other symbol that denoted that unit or that lead. The oldest flag in existence. I don't know what the old flaging existence is right now, but flags do go back to millennia.
Speaker 2: Dang, Hello Scotland. Your flag was established in the literal Dark Ages eighteen thirty two. To be exact, it's just a blue field with a big white X representing the crucified Saint Andrew Cherry pet Escanera wants to know who invented semi four codes? How is that done? Do you know anything about some force? You know?
Speaker 3: I learned semi four in boy Scouts?
Speaker 2: Oh you did, yes.
Speaker 3: So besides the Heraldy shop that my mom worked at, I was in the Boy Scouts and I was in the Civilar Portrol and I did enjoy being on color guard detail. So I don't know how far back semaphore goes I'm going to. I know they were very popular in the early twentieth century.
Speaker 2: A semaphore. Side note is when someone holds two flags moves them around to different positions to make different letters to spell out words. So just think you could destroy someone by signaling an F in a U, or you could make by adding an in fun fun with flags.
Speaker 3: And it's almost like reading a clock. And so depending on where the hands are, notate what the letter is.
Speaker 2: Is it like texting but with your arms?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And do you use like short codes or do you spell out everything?
Speaker 3: You would spell out words or clipped words. Sometimes you clip out you know, maybe a vowel or so. But so you'd cross the flags to start ascendence or a word, and then you'd spell out the word or the number or use a number sign and then you'd have the flags to end it. It's kind of morse code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh, was it hard to learn? How long to take you?
Speaker 3: I don't remember it. It was that was a while ago. I still have someone foresaid in my flag collection, though, do.
Speaker 2: You think if someone tried to semi for you a message you would be able to decode it?
Speaker 3: I'd probably only get SOS.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the most important one. It doesn't look like an SOS do flag nerds know each other.
Speaker 3: I know there's two others on the island. We do know each other. One actually owns a flag shop and the other one is a professor at a local university.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think that you could do this for part of your job?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, Now, what is something about flags that's annoying? Or what is a part of your job dealing with flags? It sucks?
Speaker 3: I get allow the repetitive questions. So it's like, Okay, we have two or three flags, where do they go? It's like, it's okay, the American flag is always on its right, you know, the viewer's left. I want to put it. It goes on its right. It's just some of these very very basic things people ask me. And I do get upset when I do see flagpoles getting used for holding up banners or other signs, and.
Speaker 2: You're like, get that wind sock out of here. What is this fish wind sock on the flagpole?
Speaker 3: I don't want to see the banner promoting the festival on the weekend. Take it, put it on the side or something. Don't put it on the flag.
Speaker 2: Now, what is the thing that you love the most about your job or your life is of excellla just orble flags.
Speaker 3: It's just a bit of history and to recognize what's been, what's in the past, and use some kind of visible symbol to recognize those dates. And I have a good job. I think.
Speaker 2: Do you think you have an old soul or were you born in the wrong era because you seem to have such a nod to in a flair for things vintage. Do you ever feel like maybe you're a ghost that was born into modern times?
Speaker 3: That has been said of me. I've been working in the museum field over twenty five years now, so I did work at one site where we did living history, and so yes I am. I'm not a strain. You're too living history or a period clothing, particularly the nineteenth century, and I do enjoy a good period history event, and you know, it's a more gentler time with etiquette and protocol.
Speaker 2: Do you think in the future we're just going to use space holograms for flags?
Speaker 3: I don't know about holograms, but you know how retro is becoming more popular, maybe where we're going to go, maybe we'll regress a little bit.
Speaker 2: I love that you're keeping the past alive by continuing to make it cool because you're cool. Thank you so much for doing this. I loved this so ask well dressed and informed people stupid questions. Because there's weird trivia flying right over our heads all the time, you might as well ask about it. We're all gonna die. Go forward, ask questions now. For more info on flags, nava dot org. Nava dot org is a great resource. You can find a local vexillological club. Let your nerd flag fly. We are at Ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm Ali Ward with one l on both. Links to all of that, plus the cause of the week and sponsors are always in the show notes. Ologies merch is available at allergiesmarch dot com, including some new stickers. Hot damn Yes we have stickers. Thank you Bonnie Dutch and Shannon Feltas for managing that. Thanks to Aaron Talbert and Hannah Lippo for admin the wonderful Ologies Facebook group. Hello to the Ologies podcast sub editors out there too. Thank you Assistant editor Jared Sleeper of the mental health podcast Make Good, Bad Brain, and of course the jolliest of the rogers, Stephen Ray Morris for Betsy rossing all the pieces together each week. Stephen also hosts the per cast about Kiddies and c Jurassic Right About Dino's, both wonderful podcasts. Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music. He's in the band Islands, which is a very good band. Now, if you stick around to the end of the episode, you know I tell you secrets, And this week's secret is that this episode was so hard to make. There's so much political history and colonist bullshit and painful stuff when it comes to something that seems just as simple as flags. And so thanks for waiting an extra week for this. I'm recording this actually on the morning of my parents' fiftieth anniversary. We're going to go celebrate it, and I'm down in their downstairs recording it really quick to send to Stephen, and then I'm taking the rest of the weekend off to celebrate with them. And the other secret I will tell you is that I moved into a new house about four months ago and I have not yet bought a garbage can. I've just been hanging a garbage bag from a cabinet knob for four months. I keep meaning to go to bed, bath and beyond and just blow through the stack of coupons I've been hoarding, so I swear I will do that this week. Probably Also, y'all, I feel like I've told you this, but those bed Bath and Beyond coupons they don't really expire, So just take yours out of your neighbor's trash, put them in your glump compartment. That way you're like, oh, I got to stop there. Use them whenever you want twenty percent off. You guys, I'm here to help. Okay. Next week a chemistry episode that draws on the spells of Harry Potter. Potterrology is up next week. Are you ready for it? Probably not? It's good a rule, okay for bide pack adermatology, mombiology, doe zoology, lithology and technology, meteorologyology, tathology, seriology, pylenology. Today we are going to review and show you how to play Flags of the World.