Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfer.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield's joining in the.
Speaker 2: High Tech Texan. Michael garfil is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 1: It has to make life easier technologs, So Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets, heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add now your high Tech Texan, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Why don't you begin the twenty third year of the high Tech Texan show a Happy New Year, Lassia Latova, however you say it, however you celebrated, we do. Thank you for tuning in wherever you're listening to restrially Houston and San Antonio, Dallas for worth, if you're on iHeartRadio, and no matter how you listen, you least listen and we appreciate that. First time here all we're gonna have some fun. I swear I'm not gonna tell you how to fix your computer, despite what you think with the high tech texts and is about, I ain't doing that. I'm the guy who's gonna entertain you for maybe two hours unless we're preempted by basketball and whatever market you're in. If not, just go to the podcast iHeartRadio. Look for Michael Garfield, look for high Tech Text and we're gonna give you some tips. We're gonna take your calls, your questions, because yes, you probably got some holiday gifts that you know what. Yeah, I appreciate my kids. They love me. They gave me a little something something. I don't want this, man, this is a piece of crap. Ah No, no, Michael, what should I return it for? One of the many things that I could do for you? And I just don't do tech gadgets. However, this next week, week and a half, two weeks are gonna be a little tech centric and I'll tell you why. But I do. I do trucks, I do fashion. I actually got me some new athletic leisure. It's called athleisure. That's what the word is, where, you know, lose a little weight in that last year, hoping to keep it off in this new year, so I gotta look fit. If you don't believe me, you could check out the things I post an I video and I take photos. You can go to the website high Tech Texan spell the whole thing out. If that's okay, High Tech t e x a n high Tech Texan dot com Instagram close to fifty thousand followers. Can we hit fifty five thousand before the end of the show. It's up to you. People start off the New Year right and follow me high Tech Texan. I am on X, I am on Blue Sky, I'm on threads. I you know, it's a little trepidation of how much I post war and when I am not on TikTok, something I never ever did. Just no reason for the other is just do I really need another social media platform? Plus, is TikTok going to be around? We are less than three weeks allegedly from it being banned in the United States. However, your incoming future president United States has just asked Congress to push back the January nineteenth date to ban TikTok until after the inauguration. I don't know, maybe he just wants people making videos of his inauguration.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 1: I would rather TikTok be around a few extra days because in the same night of inauguration, it is the NATTY, the National Championship for college football, and let's hope our Texas Longhorns are there. We are just one game away to see if our Horns play in the National championship woo past few weeks. Man, tell you what I wish, spitz a idea. I had a decent and a nice holiday season, you know, spin it s all the kids here and there. Well, I'll tell you what my longhorns woo. They put me my blood pressure, my blood pressure up and down, especially during that last Peach Bowl. It was tight. However, Dallas, the Horns, actually sorry, Arlington Horns are coming to you later this week in the Cotton Bowl versus the Ohio State again. Big football guy right over here. Hey, let me give you the phone number. It's an interactive radio show. Anybody want to call him? It's three four six twenty nine Texan. Can't be easier than that, three four six two nine t e x A N. If we pick up the phone, we decide to pick up the phone, we'll put you on air. If for some reason it goes to voicemail, we do have the right to record your voice and then re er it and I can answer your question. So leave a voicemail saying Garth, you don't know what you're talking about, saying Garth, this is what I would like you to review and or just a typical question. How you know is that your real hair? Yes? It is. By the way, how old are you going to be this year? Not going to tell you, but you may even figured it out on my birthdays next month. It's the milestone. But you know whatever, we move on three four, six, twenty nine t e XA. And with that we are going to start a number of things because these these three months of the year, let's see, I'm gonna go November, December and January always have been my busiest of the year, always and generally if you have a real job versus kind of like a fake job like I do in the media, these are the slowest month, right, Yeah, it take some time off. We're gonna vacation, We're gonna go skim, We're gonna go to Mexico whatever, like, no, no, no. This is a holiday shopping season where I have to pop on a number of outlets all across the country regularly. You know, this is the great last minute buys. This is the steal today. You know, if you want to buy a car, you know before December thirty first, this is what you should be looking for. So I have been busy and it doesn't stop on January first. No, it continues because I am leaving on yet play this weekend once I hang up to my from because I am off to my annual johnt to Alas Vegas folks. It is the annual CEES, which used to be called the Consumer Electronic Show. Now they just go by CEES. This will be my I think this is about my twenty second or twenty third year I have been to Vegas and you have to train for CES. It is the world's largest technology trade show, and actually it's one of the world's largest trade shows period. One hundred and fifty hundred and eighty thousand people from all over the world. They do go to Las Vegas. It is not open to the public. You need to be number one. You need to be a product manufacturer. You need to be a buyer, you know, to buy the products. You need to be in the media. And I do appreciate the folks at the Consumer Electronic Association they put it on. They really do treat us or we in the media quite well. They have long built a radio and TV studio for me and many other media folks and organizations right on the floor of the Las Vegas Convention Center. And I say this is because for those of you who have never been to CEES, for those of you who saying, oh man, I'd love to go to CEES, it's there's good parts and there's tough parts. With the thing there, it is so much to consume because there's so much walking. It takes up the entire Las Vegas Convention Center. It takes the Venetian Convention Center over there. There's ballrooms, there's private parties, there's there's suites of just information. There's dinners, there's breakfasts, there's speeches, there's brunches. You really have to know pan this thing out, and you know, I've got lot. I literally have a spreadsheet. So I am going to make it simple and bring this stuff for you, which is why you should highly suggested follow me on all the social media's high tech texts, and I'm probably gonna do a lot of the Instagram because that's cool. It's easy for me to shoot some video quickly uploaded and show you a lot of the things that you know, what you probably don't need, don't want, can't afford this coming year. And that's the point of CEES. Every year. It's in early January, is because companies from all over the world will they bring their products. A lot of them will hit the showroom for so they will be on sale. A lot of them are concepts, a lot of them are just research and development. A lot of them are just hey, look at me over here waving a flag. I want you media people to cover me and mention me. I kind of sift through all that BS. Is this something that you really want, really need? Is it going to change your life? And so I already have an idea of what is going to be shown there in terms of categories and specific products, and I'll run through that, and I'll say this before we take our first break. If you see something to see a report, Hey, you know this is neat Feel free to reach out to me via some of these social channels and email, which you'll find on my website, high tech Textion dot com. Hey Michael or Garf if we're tight, go buy this booth or did you see this or did you hop in this concept car or whatever and see if you can check this out and give me the play by play. I will try to do my best, so coming up stand by what to expect at see s. Give you a little apple TV Plus. If you want to watch something free this weekend, they're opening up their gates. Stand by. The name is Ark. We're gonna be happy here if we continued, I kept that team show. We're not going to geek out. This is not what we do. We have too much fun. Michael's the name, Michael Garfield, my man, Calum ree Callum. Happy New Year to you, brother? Do you have a good one? You did Santi give anything good? I know I gave you. Did you kill that? The bottle of hoots that I gave you? Did you like that? I'm rye Okay, you deserve it. He keeps. He keeps the machines well oiled and running. If you want to talk to him, he may callum. Decide you in the mood to pick up some phone calls? Maybe maybe okay, number here. It's it's an interactive calling show. If you want to ask questions of what to buy? Is this a good Is this a good time of year to get a TV? Knowing that football playoffs, super Bowls about a month away? Good question. I'm more than happy to give you a model or two or three three four six twenty nine Texan three four six two nine t e x A N. Michael Garfield. If we don't pick up, the voicemail should pick up and you can leave us a voicemail and I can listen and play it for you. I will be I got a busy weekend for me. I got a pack for CEESH the old Consumer Electronics Show, which which it's in Vegas, and it starts well, I fly out Sunday afternoon. I gotta actually watch the Cowboy game on on the plane, hopefully they show it. Uh. And then it is walking over under the number of steps I take in a single day walking around the massive Las Vegas Convention Center, the Venetian Center Center and all these other parties over under is twenty thousand steps. And I am not kidding you. And I usually take a Screenshotah okay, it's a humble brag of how many steps I walk on a given day. I've got a train for this thing. Now. I'm a runner peloton watch it. You know. I'd like to think, I mean relatively good shape, certainly for my age. I'll tell you what this takes a toll. I mean you are go, go go. I mean it's you know, you had no time to you know, to change outfits. It's so you know, I got to wear me some tennis shoes and just just go, go go. But I do it for you people. I do it for you. I bring and here's something that you're going to love. If is certainly if you're new to the show. I generally bring one to two empty suitcases and I kind of fold them up, you know, just the soft side of what's to Vegas. Because I bring back toys, golow, I bring back demos. I bring back sample products that companies sometimes will give out the journals like me and they say, hey, listen, this is not for you. Why don't you give them to your followers on social media? Since we know you have so many followers, maybe you want to give them on the radio. So this is why you follow me. People. You go to High Tech Text and h I G H T E C H T E X A N on Instagram, on as and we give out a lot of stuff there, some of the things that I think, and I'm kind of give you a play by play of all the emails and invites because I got a media pass and you know, they want me to stop by this booth, that booth whatever. I think some of the trends that are going to be around at CES this year, next or this coming week. Certainly in twenty twenty five, AI is going to get even more pervasive in all areas that I'm walking around on the on the CEO show floor. I mean, we're going to likely get the slew of new processors and laptops. There's gonna be wearables, trackers, There's gonna be bathroom appliances, massage chair. Oh, those massage chairs. I'm not getting you. I gotta I got a press release invite to some booth, and you know, they try to entice you because there's over ten thousand different companies, products, pitches and everything in this four day you know, massive convention across Vegas, and they have to get our attention. Where are we gonna go? But there's this one company's massage here, uh you know here, dear Michael Hougtak text and no, we want to invite you to uh this booth at this time. Please make an appointment for a complimentary massage. We're gonna put you one of our massage chairs and it's gonna do this and this and stretch you and all this other stuff. It is. It is pretty nice I just don't have a lot of time. I mean it might good. I'll sit there for five to six minutes and massage here. I'll take a video and I'll i'll feature some of the new things. Is it heated? Does it? And uh, you know? Does it touch?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Doesn't massage your calves when you're walking. I don't know what it is, but a lot of massage chairs. But these it's not just geeky things. It is smart home. There's a massive area that continues to grow for smart homes, everything from the smart cameras to the even smarter doorbells using AI and so when you ring the doorbell, it'll recognize somebody's face and it'll announce to you homeowner of who's there. There's a lot of that stuff. There's going to be TVs too. TV. I think people associate cees with high definition TVs, and it really was to some extent, even though TV's now are so ubiquitous and you can get TVs relatively inexpensive, but I remember when HDTVs and flat screens really were first announced to the masses. And I'm let's go back to two thousand and one, two thousand and two or three you know, when digital TV was mandated by the FCC, they were there were fifty inches, maybe there was a sixty inch one, and they were very expensive. They were, you know, thicker and heavier than what they are now. But I mean, you couldn't walk around the CES show floor in Vegas without getting a sunburn down each aisle because these TVs were just bright and blaring and glaring and right in your face. I mean, these fifty inch TVs, I'm not kidding you were fifteen thousand dollars back in the day. You can get a fifty inch TV right now for maybe two hundred dollars, two hundred and fifty dollars, probably even cheaper than that, depending on what brand and what time of year. But there's gonna be some you know, a new line of lcdtvs. LG always does something crazy. I saw this year. They're already you know, they have a bendable oled, a forty five inch bendable gaming monitor, curve screens, screens that will roll up. There's a c through screen that I think LG is coming up and it turns what it is is if you live in a high rise apartment, for example, if you live in a beach, have a beach house. Well, and the only place to set a TV is like right in front of the window. Well, you have a picturesque window. What it's going to block your pretty view? Well, when it's turned off, it'll now allow it to be see through. You could see through it. It's something you need. Probably not. Is it going to be expensive, You dang straight, it's going to be expensive. But this is this is this stuff. This is the candy that they dangle in front of us our eyes. So we can then go back on our TV programs like I'm going to do and our radio show is going, oh my goodness, this is you know, absolutely not what I expected. And now I don't think anybody's really going to buy this thing. Cars and Trucks several years ago, to me, Cees turned into kind of the de facto auto show. Most all the major auto manufacturers generally have a presence over there, and not just American cars. You're going to see a lot of the foreign cars, a lot of Chinese companies who have a lot of the inexpensive electric vehicles which when they if and when through tariffs they're allowed to be shipped to the United States. There's not going to be as cheap, but uh, they're they're they're interesting to me. I cover the car and truck industry very very closely, and I'm I'm impressed with love some of this stuff. But then the world of politics and tariffs and shipping and trade get into the way. It's like, man, can't we just all you know, we are the world? I mean some of the products that are made outside of the US, and I love me and some America. Do not get me wrong. I will prote promote American products. I will prote American companies. I'll it's certainly Texas based companies. It's in my freaking moniker. I'm the high tech text and so many smart companies in Texas and here America. But there really are brilliant companies around the world that I think a lot of American companies borrow, for lack of a better word, from to make their products. But they can be cheaper overseas. Will they be shipped here? In tariffs? I don't know. The new administration in Washington, d C. They they go, you know, they'll move into the White House here in a few weeks. But we shall see. But I will see some products that I will be ooing and aweing about uh if anybody still cares about, you know, micro chips whatever. I don't really get into the geeky what is you know, it's in Vidia versus a m D. There's next generation GPUs and all these cool new Radion seven thousand cars that are cards that you put into your computers. I'll look at it, I'll get into it. I'm pretty much what is it going to mean to you? Is it going to meet faster computers and cheaper computers and their laptops going to get even lighter without without a do. I expect to see some really neat new ones. I'm a fan of a SU's as US. They are a Taiwan manufacturer of a laptops that I spent some time with them last year with their design company of you know how they get things, continue to be thinner, continue to be lighter, continue to have AI in it. I will be going to a press conference with them to report back and see what's up. And then there's medicine there. I'm getting so many emails and invitations and press releases of new hearing aids and hearing tests that you can get over the counter there's updates you know for some of these you know ear pods that will help you know with your hearing health for you. You know, the biggest audio companies around you know, Sendheiser for example, they make great earbuds and great headphones. You know, they launch new models. You know they're coming out with stuff and you know they're you know, got to have you know, how to improve hearing, and you know to stop it. You know, you know of keeping the tunes you know so loud that can you know, damage your ears, you know how you know however, you know, young or whatever age you are. I think electricity, the growth of electric cars right now, it's nearing about ten percent of new models that are sold you know states, but they're gonna be a lot of new concept vehicles today is going to be all over. Hyundai is always you know, already sending me emails and emails. You got to stop by this. But you know there's also these concepts like you know VT o ls, you know, vertical takeoff and landings. These these drones that at some point in our lives will carry people Archer Aviation, Joby Aviation. They're pledging to actually launch these, you know e VT o L services in twenty twenty five air taxis for lack of a better better term, I'm gonna see and sit in some of those things. Uh, there's going to be satellite phones, you know. You know Apple just not long ago they introduced their emergency s OS via satellite I think that was in the iPhone fourteen a few years ago. Well, now you know they're expanding it. You know, Qualcom a component maker, you know they're trying to bring you know, those similar capabilities to Android devices, to Google as launched a satellite calling in their Pixel nine phones, Starlink, you know SpaceX, you know elon the Texas Man they have you know, gone live already in New Zealand. T Mobile opened up you know, beta signups for it's Starlink powered satellite cell service. This year, I'm going to see a lot of a lot of those things. Soundbars are big, you know, if you want to add those to give better sound projectors, I expect to come back with at least one or two or three projectors that are getting really small, really a short throw meanings you can keep them right very close to your wall. For one hundred and twenty inch screen picture. I'm going to give a few of those away. If I get him, I'm going to give them away to you, ladies and gentlemen. There's my cees. What to expect. Follow me all next week right here, high Tech Textan and I'll tell you what's up? All right, coming back, we will continue the show. Hey, did your kid get an iPhone this holiday season? Well, good for him or her. I wish I had a parent like you. I better tell you some important settings you need to put on it, especially if you're John along with your phone called three four six twenty nine Texans. Michael Barbel's the name. It is the High Tech Texting Show. Appreciate you tuning in. Appreciate a lot of the show I've been doing. Keep this show for free without telling you. This portion of the show is brought to you by Total Wireless. Total Wireless. Not only can you bring your own phone and get some really inexpensive data and sell connectivity, but if you want to really cut your home internet bill, why don't you check out what they have. It's the five G home wireless Internet, that is right. It is five G now delivered via cell service. You don't need to have a cable company or a satellite company. For some reason, you're still using that antiquated service. Check out Total Wireless wherever you are Houston, San Antonio and Dallas specific thickly uh the Victra owned stores v ic tra. Uh we usually you know what? Tell you what? Why don't we give away something? How about this? Uh color? Nah? Yeah, collor number nine. Let's do this at Uh. I'm gonna give you a special number two one two. Let's do it this way seven one three two one two five nine five oh seven one three two one two five nine five oh. That is our specific call in line for giveaways. Now, if you want to ask me a question, caller nine twenty dollars gift card to one of the Victra. It's the company owns a lot of the Total Wireless stores. You can go in and you can go get a cell phone case, you can go get a you know put it, you know, you know buy you know, a portion of a really inexpensive router. All you need is a router to buy. At that point, then you have a monthly service of about thirty five to forty dollars for your home fast high speed internet. Total Wireless. They are a good, good company. H do we have a we already have a winner on Okay, stop calling you already have a winter this people you want, you want, gifts you little you know, gift grubbing, listener news, I love you. I really do streaming services. You know. The new year is here, and last week I did a lot of wrap up of my favorite things of the year. It's funny it took me to the last week of the year to find I think my new favorite streaming TV series. And the reason why is because I don't have Netflix. I do not have a membership because Netflix, earlier last year they really cut down on password sharing and I couldn't share passwords from some of my family members. So I said, screw it up not watching Netflix. So I go visit my son, my oldest son. He lives out in LA and I spent a few days with him over the holiday break, and he has Netflix, and so I started binging this show Fell in love with There was only one season and I watched all ten episodes like in two days. Nobody wants This, Oh loved It. Kristen Bell and Adrian Brody I think is his name. It's about an interfaith marriage about the rabbi and shiksa who didn't get mad and the family didn't want it. It was hilarious. It's a funny rom com. It's a meet cute type of thing. As the girls say. It was really good and to me that overtook my other favorite streaming show, which was on Hulu Only Murders in the Building. I've watched Only Murders in the Building for a few years. Right now, I love it. I think it's really smart. I like the way to do it the season four and I wasn't up to snuff as the first few seasons and so nobody wants this my favorite streaming show this past year, which when they come out with season two, I'm going to need to try to borrow somebody's password on Netflix where you can invite me over and I'll bring potato, lotkeys and matsa. So that's if you want something to watch while you still have nothing to do before you go back to work, you can check that out. However, this weekend, the weekend of January fourth and fifth, and depending on when you are listening to this show, I do have a little treat for you. Actually I don't have a treat for you. I will give you the information from Apple who has a treat for you. Because this weekend Apple TV Plus, which is a streaming service, they are offering free. They're opening up their original TV shows and movies. So if you've never seen some of the Apple original series like ted Lasso or Shrinking or Severance the Morning Show, you better change your weekend plans because it's pretty much Saturday and Sunday of this weekend free streaming of its original series and there's zero required subscription. That's not bad, that's nice of it to do. It's I think they're doing this in part to a more subscribers to a streaming platform. Because and I follow the streaming industry, I'm the one who tells you people, you're probably paying too you need to cut off some of your streamers because you probably don't watch them, and you're paying too much money. Because the competitors of it, I mean Prime and Hulu and Peacock and Max, it goes on and on and on. I mean, I think this coming year there is going to be a shakeout, there's going to be a consolidation of streaming options. But Apple really has been lagging behind. I mean, they spent billions of dollars I believe, and they've invested over the past several years of creating a TV in a movie studio to come up with some stuff. So they're offering a full weekend of open access to Apple TV Plus. But I think it's just their original content, like some of the movies, like like the shows. I was able to watch ted Lasso. I think Apple TV still you're allowed to share passwords. So was about a year ago, last year something, maybe a year and a half ago. I watched ted Lasso, Love ted Lasso, that was great, rumor as they're making another season. I saw Severance. I saw the first episode of Severance. That was freaky deeky. I didn't dig Severance. Love Adam Scott got the me. I ran into Adam Scott in Austin earlier this year. And just a funny comedian. That's what he really is. By by by Trey. It's just a freaky, deeky thing. But I will there's one people tell me to watch. I haven't watched Shrinking. Anybody ever watched Shrinking? Give me a shout? Three four six twenty nine, Texan set. The Harrison Ford Peter whatever his name is, it's it's it's supposed to. It's supposed to be pretty funny. I don't know if I have time, but I've got a pack and I got to get out of here for ces. But anyway, that's that's it's me giving you a little something something if you have nothing to do the two football games on Saturday. You got Cowboys playing on Andrew Texan's playing on Sunday, so you may not have enough time to watch that thing. Phone number here three four six twenty nine T e X A N Michael Garfield is his name? Already given out the twenty dollars gift card to Total Wireless to help you something. We've got more of those interesting things to give away. Speaking of TV, who watched Dick Clark New Year's Rock and Eve with Ryan Seacrest. A lot of people, they like, twenty million people watch that every year. Here's the thing. There was a football game on there was on December third foot that was That was the Boise State Penn Steak game that ended. And then generally it's not the If you're of age and you just don't want to go out anymore because you realize that New Year's Eve is amateur night, you do stay at home and you sit on a couch and you turn the TV on, and Guy Lombardo is not on anymore. And then you've got Dick Clark's New Year's Rock and Eve with Ryan Seacrest. Then I think CNN has something too. But the Dick Clark thing has long, long, since the late seventies, has been like the leader, so many people watch it. Here's what I want to know. I it's number one. It's if you go out, it's generally on in the background. If you go to somebody's house party, you want to turn it on in the Central time zone right before eleven o'clock so you could see the ball drop. Why is this no knock on anybody? Dick Clark was a god to me, a leader. I mean, he was the ultimate one of the reasons why I want to get into this media. Number One, I now am the youngest teenager or the oldest teenager in the world. He was just unbelievable with American Bandstand. He was radio, he was TV, he was just a host. I loved it. He passed away. Ryan Seacrest comes in, very talented, dude, does everything that I would want to do. Why is it? Why is it if anybody gainst me this and maybe I'll give you a gift to Why is it still called Dick Clark's New Year's Rock and Eve with Ryan Seacrest? Rest in peace, Dick Clark, You've been gone for a while, it's still Clark. I mean, Dick Clark had a TV production company. They still may be around, they still may produce it. But at some point, if I ask my youngest son, who's twenty four, do you know who Dick Clark is? He probably would think it's a porno film. He probably has no clue who Dick Clark is, knows who Ryan Seacrest is. Dick Clark's New Year's Rocket gave At some point, don't you think they have to change that? I mean, if I ever retire from this show, it's the High Tech Text Show with Michael Garfield. Would one of my three boys take it over? Would it be Michael Garfield's High Tech textan show with Adam Garfield? Would it know? You know what? Callum? Do me a favorite? You know, let's get with our iHeart Bosses. I think I need that. In the clause, I think I need that in the Sante Claus, the Hanika Harry clause in my contract right now, that's my God's in my vision war for twenty twenty five. I need to start a legacy for this show. It's going to be called Michael Garfield's High Tech Texting Show with whoever takes it over. And it would be nice if you know what. Screw it, damn straight, I'm gonna do nepotism. I got three boys. I need to take care of them. Oh my god. That conversation came up a lot over the holiday season. You know, whether it's we're watching the Christmas Day football games with the great Iron Eagle, who's a great play by play announcer, and on the other game it was his son. All right, it was a Noah Eagle, who I think is the next great play by play that's his son. Geez, wonder how I got that job. Then I flip over at NBC Sunday Night Football and there he is. There's Chris Collinsworth, great analyst, right, he's your color man, former Cincinnati Bengo wide receiver receiver Florida Gators. Been doing it forever. Oh wait a minute, who is one of the host before Sinnight Football. It's his son, Jack collins Worth. Nepotism. It's it's rampant, especially in the media business. I don't even know if any of my three kids even want to do this. They study it, but it's gonna be Michael Garfield high Tech Textan Show with either Justin Josh or Adam Garfield unless color Ni Murdine wants to call it and win the spot to host this show. I'm kidding right now, do you have to take a break. Michael Garfield's High Tech Texan Show will continue right after this. It's like that boy, the high Tech Texting Show. Michael. The shout out to all people listening. In one of our newer affiliates in Dallas, the Mighty Mighty eleven ninety a. M. I don't know. You think my parents are listening to this thing. They're maybe sleeping. I have no clue. But anyway, my hometown of Big d we just picked them up as an affiliate in early December and before that. Now in San Antonio News Radio twelve hundred w A I the Blue Torch, what's up, San Antonio? How you doing? How you doing? A nice little alamabole you had over there, boy, you took it to Dion Sanders didn't you didn't you? And then the flagship here the Long Time twenty three plus years and running in Houston, Texas KPRC nine to fifty am. Also on an app. You can listen to it outside of Texas or almost anywhere in the world. iHeartRadio. I don't think China and maybe a few other companies they don't let Western Civilization broadcast inside their territory. Maybe it's a tariff. I don't know. Maybe our new administration will do something about that. So I can literally say I am world wide worldwide phone number. If you want to call. If we can't pick up, we apologize, may get a voicemail, leave a voicemail. Well, you know, we'll put your voice on the air and we'll answer your questions. It's three four six twenty nine and X A N. Did you or your kids get a new phone this holiday season? At iPhone or so? If your kids got one, it's you know, I get a lot of this from parents, going, man, I don't know if my kid's too young for a phone, I don't want to you know, you know he or she you know, you know taking off into the room or you know with I'm not looking at it. What are they surfing on. Can you know they get calls by spams? Can they get hacked? It's a very good question, very valid point. A little stat for you, by the way, from the Entertainment Software Association, about sixty two percent of US children's children's from ten to seventeen years old, they've they asked for electronics or tech items like smartphones or smart watches this past holiday season. And you probably maybe if you're a parent, you got your kids one personal technology devices from Apple. They're among the most used in the United States. So if your child is getting if you got an iPhone, or if you really want to review or think about, you know some recommended parental tips of what it do when it comes to kids in smartphones. That's what I'm here for. One of the many things that I'm here for when it comes to smartphones and parental settings. Let's start with this. Do not assume that once the options are set that they don't need to be checked regularly because kids are smarter than the average bearer. Boo boo, yes they are. Don't assume that it's bulletproof childproof because tech companies told you they are. Not the case a lot technology it's always evolving. The features changed just as quickly the expectations for how a child reacts response to those changes. You may need to re evaluate it all right, the boundaries Number one what you need to do. And again, I am a parent. My kids are now in their twenties and ones of them went in their thirties two. But I had to live this, you know, a decade, a decade and a half to ago. Setting parental controls shouldn't happen alone. Don't do it in a vacuum. You need as a parent to make a conversation with your kiddos. You need to review the settings and you see how it all works together. You got to tell the kids the risk, what's allowed, what's not allowed, with who they can react to, with who they can communicate, and you need to set some rules for the device. Listen, I'm not the greatest parent in the world. You maybe you're not, but at least I have a really good relationship I've always had with my kids and they've never as far as I know, they never stepped over their boundaries. Okay, nobody, you know, No Feds every came knocking at the doors. I never found anything elicited or legal on their phones. No, that's why I got to keep my phone away from them. But parents real quickly. Some specific settings to check out on maybe an Apple device Number one. On parents who have an Apple device. You can create a family group, and then you can set up a child account where parental controls can be accessed and you can monitor the uses. You can also approve all the purchases like in the app store. You could choose to share a child's location, sharing information with additional family members. You as a parent, can set up you set up a child account. Right, It's not hard whatsoever. Just go in the settings and just set up a child account. At that point. I always tell people I really do. Some of my advice is you look over their screen time settings. One of the most important settings that I recommend is look at the screen time. How much time do kids, well even parents yourself spend in front of the screen. You could set limits for how long apps can be used individually or by a group. You can monitor usage. You can get weekly activity reports kids. They can reques has more time for an app? They can send you a request all right, or you can approve it. Go in your settings, go look at screen time settings and other parental controls in there. You may want to set it downtime. You can use downtime to block certain apps or notifications for specific blocks of times. You can make gaming all the games off limits at bedtimes on weekdays. Then you can use restrictions. Look at your restrictions. Go to restrictions into your settings. Parents can prevent their kids from installing new apps and making an app purchases. It's the last thing you need to do when they're playing Candy Crash and all of a sudden you're getting a bill on your credit card, you know, for another eight hundred dollars. Parents can set up their kids devices to limit adult content, open only websites that the parents select. These are here all right. Point is, and this has been going on since I've been doing the show for twenty years, which is it was great for me back then because twenty years ago my kids were very, very young, and I had to go through this thing too. And I don't have the answer. Hey, Michael, what age is it proper for my kid to get a phone? Not up to me, Not up to me, ma'am. Sorry, I don't know. For me, I know I have boys and as I have my first son, and then my second so and then the younger kids seemed to grow up faster than the old than the older ones, right, because they learn they hang around their older brothers and older sisters. So maybe the younger kid gets something a little at a younger age than the older one did. Sorry, that's what it is. I'm also the oldest of my family too, and so you know, I had I had to suck it up and go through that way. So I don't have specific answers. These are only guidelines, but I would do want to let you know that the technology products out there, as much as parents may pooh pooh them and oh my goodness, they're so bad, there are ways to make them safer. Notice I didn't say they're amazed to wake them safe. No, nothing, hardly anything can be made safe nowadays, anything online, your information, online, cars, I mean, you know, it's it's they're as safe as they could be. But then again it's up to the driver. But as parents try to be responsible, you're getting ready to you know, getting kids of age. Maybe they're seven, eight, nine, ten eleven, maybe they're thirteen fourteen? How is it time for their first phone? Is it time for their first laptop. You know, should I keep the laptop? Can they take it in their room? Do I keep it? Make them keep it out in the public area so I can kind of walk behind and see what's going on. Welcome to the world of parent one kids. Ain't easy being parent, It's not you know, it's not easy. Well, doing another hour of the show, but I am here for you our number one OVA the High Tech Tax Show. Hopefully wherever you are in your jurisdiction, your local listening marketing community, you can listen to that hour number two. For some reason we are signing off or early. Go to iHeartRadio. You can hear of the second hour coming up right after this on the Tech Textan Show. Happy New Year, my friends. Right is Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfields joining in the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 1: It has to make life easier technologs, So Michael Garfield has something you might want.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iheartwadio. After now You're high Tech Texan, Michael Garfield, We go, let's start our number two.
Speaker 1: And say Happy New Year. Is the second hour of the High Tech Texan Show. We are halfway through the show and I'll say it for the first time this year, we are a half way to happy hour. One of the odds that you do not even know what date it is right now. It happens every year the last two weeks of the year. It is was Christmas on a Wednesday. It's just you're sitting in your pajamas for two weeks. You don't know what time it is. Odds are if you're listening this weekend and this coming Monday, you have to go back to back to school or back to work for the first time in a long time. Sucond up. It's called a shower, people, and it's actually called clothes, real clothes, not just your pajamas. That's how we do it. Michael is my name, Michael Garfield. It's called the High Tech Textan Show, starting out the first of full year with three big markets, not just Houston that I've been in on KPRC nine to fifty am for twenty three years or so. Also welcome San Antonio, Wai and Dallas eleven ninety am. My hometown and so all across Texas. We're going to give you tips, questions, and answers when it comes to consumer lifestyle products. I do cars and trucks just as much as I do technology. I ended the year it was pretty cool, kind of a checked a box or two off of things I never done. I got to sit in and fill in for my buddy Jerry Reynolds. He is the car Pro Guy, the Car Pro Show. He's heard in sixty markets. He took some time off and because, like Jerry, I test drive sixty or seventy different vehicles a year. I'm a member of the Texas Auto Writers Association. I just get the opportunity to test write these things. I kind of know what to look for, what not to look for, what to guide you in and out of. I got to sit in and for him for one of his three hour shows. That was neat. So if you are in the market for a new vehicle, you can, I don't know, call me, Hey, Garf, I want a sports car. I'm now an empty nester, so much of the minivan. I need something fast and sexy and snappy. Hey, Michael, is it now time to get an EV I heard evs aren't selling so well. GARF should is hybrid better than an EV right now, these are the questions I'm more than happy to answer, at least try to answer. And it's interactive, and so I'm going to give you a phone number here that you should just lock and load three four six twenty nine textan three four six two nine t e x eight in. If we don't pick up, voicemail should pick up and you could leave a voicemail and we we do have the right to do anything with that. Now I'm not going to use AI and change your voice, but no, well, we can replay it and then answer your question that way, and so I'll want you to give that a try. Some of the uh A lot of people were commenting on my instagram, I'd love my an well. I enjoy my Instagram. It's how I relate and I can show you the videos of some of the cool products cars, whatever I'm testing or f I'm traveling, you can follow me. Thank you so much for following me at High Tech textan h I G h T E c h T e x A N. I highly recommend you start following me because when I come back from CEES next week Consumer Electronics Show. I'm gonna have a Santa bag worth filled of new demos and to and products that I'm going to have to give away to my listeners and my social media followers, and so some of the things that I will videotape or you know, do some live streams on my Instagram, I will be giving those away. And if you follow and like and make a comment and you're snarky and cute and fun enough, you could win. So that's why you need to follow me. High tech texts and spelled the whole thing out. Anyway, I got some comments. I posted some of my travels over the past week or two. I went to a Los Angeles two of my kids live in Los Angeles, and I visited him and I got to see one night. I went to a venue which I believe is the future, even while it's not the future, because it's actually now the future of sports watching. And if you're in Dallas right now, you may have been to the one in Dallas. You may have heard what it is, because there's only two right now in the world. One's in la and ones in the great city of North Dallas. It is called cosm anyone anyone Coosam. It's kind of a joint named smushy name between the cosmos and a stadium. And it's the same technology that's used in a planetarium. You know what a planetarium is. You go in and there's this big rounded dome. You look up and you can see the stars and whatever. Well, there's a company that runs the software technology for a lot of planetariums, and they have built their own, literally built their own facility. It's called Cosm. Cosm one in Dallas and one in LA A new one is opening in Atlanta very soon, and then Detroit. It is a sports watching venue. And it blew me away. And this is not an advertisement. I don't endorse these people even know Cosm. If you're listening in Dallas right now, I should be, as the high tech Texan who covers this industry, I should endorse you. It was dang cool.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Let me see if I can describe it. It is a stadium like facility in one end of it that is built inside of a dome, not unlike a planetarium, but unlike a planetarium, which really just has a clear, empty painted roof dome where a projector projects stars and things. This is an eighty five foot curved dome with LED panels, millions and millions of LEDs they could project images. In many cases, it's mostly sports games through their own proprietary cameras that are out a game in up to twelve K. Okay, you don't even get four K for the most part, even though your TV probably can get four K. This is twelve K. So you sit down and generally you have to there's an interest fee. You have to buy a seat or a couch or whatever, and they show a specific game inside this dome. Now, I was there the night of the Dallas Mavericks versus the Phoenix Suns. This was I think the day after Christmas, and I am sitting down inside this dumb and I literally think I am at the stadium. It is almost almost It's not three hundred and sixty degrees, but it's at least I mean, if you can imagine one hundred and eighty degrees. Because there's several cameras that COSM installs and maintains in many of these basketball and football stadiums. There is one at mid court, there is one under each basket, and I think there's a fourth one kind of up in the stands. They don't use that one a lot. And you literally think you're on the on the floor. You're sitting on the floor. I've actually sat on the floor several times of a basketball game. My feet were on the woods. I just happened to know a few nice people who have invited me of it. This was pretty much almost the same experience. I am not kidding you. I was. The camera was positioned so low on that floor, and I thought I was right there because of the quality of the camera. Jason Kidd, Mavericks coach, was standing in my way. I wanted to tell them, dude, move, that's how what it was cool. That isn't And there's three levels. You could sit on the floor. You could sit on the second level, which to me I probably is the best one. There's a third level. They've got bars. It's an entertainment thing. There's another end of it. It's called the Hall or the Great Hall. It's a one hundred and fifty foot long led ribbon of a screen and it is a looks like a sports book on steroids. Obviously, you couldn't gamble in LA and you can't gamble on those in Texas. At some point when they open gambling. Here's what I feared. I'm gonna wind up this this my speech over here. You really should check it out. It's worth it. If you're living in Dallas, if you're listening to this, at some point you're traveling to La Hopefully there's gonna be They're gonna be built in many, many cities. I particularly want to invest in this company, that's how cool it is. But this is the future. So much so if I was an NFL or an NBA or a sports owner where I rely on a lot of my revenue from selling tickets, which are not cheap NFL tickets, I would be worried that I am never gonna sell tickets again, because to me, it is just almost as just as an unbelievable atmosphere to sit in the cosm and watch it. You this was free parking, didn't have to pay for parking, didn't have to fight eighty thousand plus people for a for a parking spot. To get in and out. The prices of food nah, probably just as high. You know, I had some nachos with or whatever it was. But the experience is there, and if these things get more ubiquitous, sports stadiums and venues. They may not have to be built to have eighty or one hundred thousand people. They may be smaller because this technology, with the cameras in the twelve K, it's coming here. Just my two cents. These are the things that I cover. I will review again. Not endorsement, but COSM. You're pretty cool. Talk to me three four six twenty nine texts and three four six two nine techs and Michael Garfield. You got questions about that? I am here for you. We continue the show right after this three four twenty nine Texan. If for some reason anybody out there still understands what a CALED radio show is, it's three four six two nine T e x A N. If we don't pick up, leave a voicemail will play it for you. Most people now try to interact on social media, which is just as fine. Here a high Tech Texan h I G H T E C H T e x A N. Michael Garfield is the name. I've been doing it for well over two decades now. Happy New Year, I guess, and we're now moving into the twenty fourth decade that I have been quote trademarked the High Tech Texan and relatively new to the Dallas Airway is on eleven ninety am and twelve hundred AMWOAI in San Antonio. Great to have you folks along for the ride. Hope you're understanding now after about a month being on the air that I am not the guy who's going to tell you to I'm gonna tell you don't call me and say my computer's broken and I think it's the motherboard. Can't tell me how to fix this. When I started this show and my idea for creating initially which started to be a technology show to guide people on what products to buy in speaking at a very easy to understand term without using megabytes and gigabytes, I never wanted to be and I never was the guy who was like, well, this is what you need to do to reove the motherboard and how to put more ram your thing. Now it's easier for me to tell you, you know what, go buy a freaking new laptop or a desktop. I'm going to tell you which one to buy. Give me your budget. Is it for you, is it for your kid? Do you want it for work or business? To be more powerful and speedy and quick. No, I'm the guy who's going to tell you what to buy. And then since then I've expanded to mini consumer electronics, and so I do cars and trucks whatever. Oh, by the way, speaking of cars and trucks, it's time for what's Michael driving this week? Callum, I'll tell you what Calum Reid, who is my main man, who helps with this show and across the entire network here do me favorite because Callen does a lot of the production stuff. Can we can can I get one request this year? Can we get a Can we just get a sounder of what's Michael driving this week? You know, maybe like a car zooming? Well, of course if it's electric, there'd be no So what's Michael driving this week? Because each week I do get to test drive a car. Not from a dealership, Nope, I work directly with manufacturers. They'd not pay me to talk about this, which means I can rag on them. I could love on them. And I'm going to give you my really true, true, honest thought and honest opinion. So what's Michael driving this week? This past week I was in a twenty twenty five Infinity q X eighty And if you don't know what that is, it is one big mama of a vehicle. It is akin to its sister company Nissan, the Nissan Armada, which is a very large three row suv. Now, the particular when I was in I was in the new version of the twenty twenty five QX eighty. But the specific badge you the model, it was called the Sensory That's right, there's a sensory addition, not that you need the Century edition and that includes the you know, different you know packages, you know with the soft interior lighting and the premium cargo and you know, this thing's got an umbrella holder and the premium paint and everything.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just it's the Sensory package. But just a quick play by play, this is what I do. It is massive. I'm a six foot tall guy, and you know, generally if I'm standing next to a six you know suv they're a little taller than me, I kind of take a little hop up and I can see over it do. This thing is I had to check the clearance when I'm driving underneath, you know, into a parking garage. It's it's quite tall, which is great for a headroom, all right. It makes it very easy to get in, not only the second row, but the third row. And that's something you need to consider if having a three row vehicle is it's it's nice, it's cool. If you want something. If you've got a lot of kids, you ever tried getting back into a third row of some of these things. Sometimes you need to actually make your body do origammy. It doesn't work. If you have a car seat, Oh my goodness, bless you. If you have to put car seats in the third row, almost impossible. But if you want to carry adults, you know, maybe you're a realtor and you drive, you slet people around to see, you know, properties all the time. You know, you know, maybe if you have a big office and you guys got a lunch on a regular basis, Hey I'll drive. Let's get all these people in here. This is one of the most comfortable and easiest to get into third row seats third row vehicles that is on the market in my opinion right now, it's the Infinity QXCD. Again, the Nissan Armada has it too, the Infinity. It's the I'm going to use the term it's the luxury, premium, higher level brand than the Nissan Armada. So you take Nissan. Almost a lot of the vehicles that Nissan makes, they sex them up and they charge more money, and they put nicer leather and you know, some features in there in the Infinity and most most all brands do this. I mean exactly, look look at Chevy, you look to GMC, you look at Toyota, you go to Lexis. It's almost the same thing. But here it's we have the Infinity. This one as a Monster three and a half liter. It was a V six twin Turbero engine says it's rated up to four hundred and fifty horse power, which is pretty big. It got up to speed quite well, had a has a nine speed automatic, transmissions automatic. It's got paddle shifters if you really want to, you know, get it up there. Four wheel drive if you wanted to. Mine actually had a four wheel drive. The suspension was nice in because because it's so tall and it's it's semi wide, but it's not like it's a truck or a hummer wide like that. You know, you could think, I hope the suspension is not going to be too bouncy. The electronic air suspension was quite nice. It was really good ride. It also has what's called the dynamic digital suspension. You could tow this thing up to eighty five hundred pounds because this is a big vehicle in itself. Love the wheels had twenty two inch aluminum alloy wheels, and so when you're rolling by, it looks good inside, very nice. It's got the neat little you know, well, it's got root well on the outside. It's got the roof rails, it's got the lighting path of the mud lights. You open that you open up and at night there's this light that shines directly down on the ground, so you see where you're getting in. Those are called mud lights here. But when you get in, you could customize all of the lights. My son, not that he's a little kid, he was playing around and he learned how to turn the interior lights to different colors. Purple my favorite color, no to infinity. You probably want to include burn orange. If you want to sell a little little born in the state of Texas. Maybe you want to get some college colors just to stay away from a room. But they wish they did have burn orange. But the seats were comfortable. I drove this back and forth to Houston to Austin in back. It was a pleasure. It was a treat. Massaging chairs didn't use that feature too much. That the massage chairs, I will tell you a bugaboo of mine that to get to them, to get to some of the controls, including the massage chairs, you had to dig down into the touchscreen menu to get to it. I think Infinity, if you're listening to me, it would be easier to put some of the features like again a massage chare or even the ambient lighting, like I said, a little higher up in the menu instead of digging down into a sub menu and a submuse in a sub menu to put it on. Listen if that's my biggest bugabooon, I love that word. You've done very well with with this ride. The technique Nissan Slash Infinite. They always do a nice job with safety. They have the pro pilot assists and they have everything from they also because this is so big and people, I guess a lot of people haven't seen this yet. I'm so used to it because all the most of the vehicles that I drive have this. If you look at the rear view mirror, you know, traditionally a rear view mirror is a rear view mirror. It's a mirror that's stuck on the front windshield and you glance up at it and you could look through the you're through your vehicle, which sometimes maybe be eight nine, sometimes ten feet long. You've got to look through the vehicle out the backglass to see who's behind you. Nowadays, the rear view mirror is not a rearview mirror. It's actually a rearview camera, and it's it's it's freaky deeky. The first time you see this, maybe the first ten times you see this, and the first time you drive it. It's there's a depth perception you got to get used to for long vehicles, for SUVs right now. And this is smart if you really think about it. Instead of having a rear view mirror that's stuck in the front of your windshield, now measure what's the distance between your front windshield and your rear windshield. If you've got an suv like this, this infinity has got to be easily easily ten eleven feet long. So now you've got to look. If it's just a rearview mirror, you've got to look through you know, here comes You got to look past the front seat, past the second row seat, past the third row seat, and then out the rear view mirror, then behind that to see what cars are driving behind you. Nowadays they mount a camera on the back of the vehicle. So now that rearview camera is now shooting backwards and it's projecting in this rearview mirror. So as a driver, you're looking up in this rear view camera. You're not seeing ten to twelve feet behind you through the vehicle then no, No, you're seeing directly a vehicle behind you, and you can tell what's kind of TV monitor quality, and so it's really weird. Now to be sure, there is a switch that you can go back and forth. If you don't like the mirror, you can go to the camera. If you don't like the camera, you can go back to the mirror. I am now after test driving vehicles, so often I'm cool with having this camera, but when people sit and they look at it, U's going, oh my gosh, how's that work? So no way, this has that rearview mirror in the rearview camera. So that's just another explanation of something that's out there. Bottom line, I do like this a lot. It's not the greatest when it comes to fuel economy just because it's so big. It's rated at sixteen in the city, nineteen on the highway, so it's seventeen miles combined. That is for the Infinity QX eighty. Let's give you a price here real quick s. I'm gonna look at the rooney. I'm gonna do some cheating over here. Woo hello head anyone anyone over under play the quickly over under game for the twenty twenty five Infinity QX eighty MSRP without a lot of the options ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and fifty bones the way I drove it with all the options, the propilet assists, the lighting packages. I drove a one hundred and seven thousand dollars vehicle. Woo woo. That is not cheap. However, for some reason, you still like the size and you want something that you can look at a similar one. Look at the twenty twenty five Nissan Armada, which is built in the same frame and may not have a lot of the premium coruiterments, but those started about fifty six thousand dollars. Maybe looking that way, but anyway, I do appreciate the nice folks at Prestige Otto. Nice folks at Infinity for let me drive this. If you want me to drive something you haven't tried, hit me up. Michael at high Tech Texting. This is the high Tech Tech Issue show earn all across the country on our Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: Getting hungry as we did this show.
Speaker 1: This is what happens man. I'm about an hour and what hour and a half into the show, got about thirty more minutes. It's I need some sustenance. Baby needs some And wherever you are, wherever you were listening, and maybe lunchtime and maybe dinner time, you may be listed. I don't know, maybe in the middle of the night. If you're listening to this on podcast, Michael Garfield the High Tech Textan Show, it is time to start off the new year with some yummy continued the new year with some yummy food. I'm such a Cobo Bobs fan. And if you if you're in Dallas, it sucks for you because there are no Cobo Bobs in Dallas. There's one in San Antonio. If you're listening in Austin somehow on iHeart Radio that's the home base Houston. There's four of them. I'm such a Cobos Bob's fan it's not even funny real quick. They started in Austin. There's one near UT campus. And when I visited my son with the past four four or five six years, always took them right near the Attorney House Rio Grand you're thirty second Street, there was this Cabo Bob's and it's you go in, it's it's fast casual. You know, you go through the line and they make you make your own burritos. You tell them what you want in your burrito, or you or your taco, or you make a case of dilla or the nachos and type of thing. But the way they do it, and I saw this when I was going through the line. It's the meat that not only is the chicken and now he's brisket. Not only is their steak, but they smoke them on these Kamata Joe's, which is kind of like a big green egg, but it's a Kammata style cooker. The meat is abstintively phenomenal. And the neat thing is you get to choose your freshly made tortilla. It's not walling. When you go to these other joints. It's like, oh, you're gonna have a flower tortilla. No, there's like ancho chili, and there's like five flavors, buttermilk flour. You could choose right there. You'll watch them press it, You'll watch them heat it up, and you go down the line. Love it. Cobbo Bobs, I'm starving. Tell you what right now? How would you like to win? Is it twenty five dollars? I got a twenty five dollars gift card to Cabo Bobs. Whoo call her number nine seven to one three two one two five nine five. Oh, better, hurry up, calls fast seven one three two one two five nine five.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I cannot leave until about thirty more minutes out of the studio and then I will roll over to my Cobo Bobs. Uh, the one I have in Houston. And actually I was in Austin last week and I went to not one, but two in Austin. I am not kid. I went to three different Cabo Bobs two cities within twenty four hours. I'm a pimp. Maybe it's how it is, and we have a winner. Ova, stop calling, sorry you didn't win, Suck it up, it's go worth it to just go buy your own tacos. And Britos Cabo bo Oh so freaking good as we continue the High Tech Texan Show. And you could find me on almost all social media, certainly Instagram. Would you better follow me? You know what, I've given away Cabo Bob's gift cards on my Instagram, on my X account h I g h t E c h t E x A N. You will not find me on TikTok because I do not have TikTok. And it's not because of any political or I'm afraid anybody's gonna steal anything. It's just when TikTok came around, I was already on Facebook, and already on X or Twitter, already on Instagram, and already on LinkedIn, and and it's just it was on and on. I'm like, I don't need this. And I guess when TikTok started, it was a young man's game. It was the young kids game, you know, my my kids were in there, along with Snapchat, which I'm those are the two ones I'm not on. I'm not on Snapchat either. I'm like, I don't need it. TikTok has really grown into something big, something phenomenal. I still, to this minute, have never hopped on it, and that point made you move. Because there is a law potentially going to be banning TikTok in the United States. Is it going to take effect?
Speaker 2: Is it not?
Speaker 1: I know this is going to be a topic of late night hocktail bar chatter next week at the Consumer Electronics Show where I'll be.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 1: Law requiring a ban or a sale of TikTok is set to take effect on January nineteenth, just what two and a half weeks away, And by the way, it's one day before Trump's inauguration. Well, President future president Trump again apparently doesn't want this. Whether he likes TikTok or not, maybe he wants to be talked about on social media because Trump has asked the Supreme Court to delay the law that could ban TikTok until after his inauguration, after on one day. Is it gonna happen? Is it not? I don't out now. Trump's stance on TikTok is much different from the one he took in his first term, because he pursued a ban of the app in twenty twenty. He also floated the idea that Microsoft could work out a deal so the Treasury of the United States gets a lot of money. I don't even know with that man, But anyway, he reversed his opinion on a TikTok ban during his second campaign. He said that banning TikTok would make Facebook bigger, and I consider Facebook to be the enemy of the people, along with a lot of the media. Apparently he does not get along with Mark Zuckerberg. Probably Elon Musk does not either, But anyway, he has asked for the Supreme Court to say, you know what, let's delay this thing. So January nineteenth may not be the day, doesn't matter to me. I'm not on TikTok. However, there is something just as big happening on January twentieth Inauguration day. It ain't inauguration. It's the National Championship, which hopefully our University of Texas Longhorns will be playing in. That's a big day, man, And I know there's a lot of political people out there. God love you who listen to the show. Good for you, And you couldn't give to shakes of anything to care that. There is a football game, the football game, the culmination of this year's college football season, that is taking place the same night when Trump is going to be dancing the night away, going to all the balls in Washington, d C. No, no, no, no, no. Hopefully I will be in Hotilenta with Matthew McConaughey. All right, rooting on the the Texas Longboards a big month, big month after that. Then I have a big birthday a few weeks later. Absolutely nobody. I don't even really care about that. Speak continue the High Tech Texans Show. Okay, No, not politics. That was just a fact. Just like facts. I'm talking about football. I just happen to have something that has to do with TikTok and that's all I am talking about here. Congratulations to Jonathan Jonathan is in jonathanan san Antonio won the Coboos give card promotion. Good for you. There is one Cabo Bob in San Antonio. Good for you. This is what we do to give things away for all you kids out there. If anybody has it, is anybody parent having a kid born this year, this year, in twenty twenty five, because there is a new name for this generation and it starts this year. Raise your hand. If you're a baby boomer. I am not a baby boomer. I am a gen Xer, which came after baby boomer. I'm a gen X I made If you really want to figure out how old I am, and let's go do your research. I made generation X by thirty four days. If I was born thirty four days earlier, I would be boomer. I just made it gen X. And then there was gen Y, and then there was gen Z, and then there's a millennium. There's a new name as of a few days ago, because if you are born, if babies are born starting New Year's Day of twenty twenty five, you now are a member of here's the new name. You are generation beta b Eta beta, beta, beta, alpha, beta, Gamma. Oh it, generation beta. It will include kids born this year through twenty thirty nine. There you go, There you go. If you think about it, their parents mostly will hail from gen Z, like my son's gen Z. He's not having a kid yet. And even the youngest millennials you know, going back to from nineteen eighty to nineteen ninety four, these gen Z kids are having babies now their generation beta beta. Some demograph demographer, demographer, a guy who does demographics. His name is Mark mccrindall. He coined the name generation Alpha for people born between twenty ten and twenty twenty four, and so he said, screw it, let's just keep going down the Greek alphabet. And now in twenty twenty five you are Generation Beta test. I guess it's just that they're gonna keep going Down's is when is? Isn't it gonna be when they get to Omega? When everybody is? Will there be a world? Who knows? Who knows? I think generation axis? You know, gen X, sexy, you know Jim yd do whatever is? No? I still think you know I'm a Gen X? Or is it the great I don't know. Is it the Baby Boomers? Or what was the one before that? With Tom brocaw coined the greatest generation? Was it was World War two or something like that. I don't even know. But there was a silent generation back in the nineteen twenties. If anybody has a better term for generation beta, phone lines were open three four, six, twenty nine texts and you can call me right now, tell me if I generation beta? If if that's if? It was good about it? I just thought I threw that out there. I thought that was, you know, interesting. Uh, maybe maybe I will have a grandkid who is a generation A beta a beta locker, a babe, a beta kid, I hate a kidd, and I beta beta kid. Tell you what, We're gonna take one final break right now. If you're listening in and around the Houston area, we may have to take a sign off break over here because I think we have a is it a host? Is it a Houston Rockets or Houston Couber's or the uh basketball game going on? If you're in Dallas, Antonio, nowhere else around the world, you're gonna get the final fifteen minutes here of the High Tech Taxing Show. I do appreciate you. Happy New Year.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere when there's you have to final second here on the old High Tech Texan Show.
Speaker 1: Thank you for hanging in there. Happy New Year. First weekend of January of twenty twenty five, starting up my twenty third year of doing this. New to the Dallas area and eleven ninety am, New to San Antonio, WAI twelve hundred and thank you for a long time listeners in and around Houston. Kp RC nine fifty am. You can hear this on iHeart Radio. You're just tuning in. You missed all the fun stuff. What I expect to see and find and bring back from cees. Starting early next week Consumer Electronics Show, you can go download the podcast Callam Read. You're gonna put this on podcasts, right, you're already already getting rid of podcasts. Soon as we sign off. You can go to iHeart Radio and look for High Tech Texan or Michael Garfield or whatever radio. Trust your radio station you're listening on here in Texas and you can listen to the full two hours of fun stuff. And remember, kids, I have a BS degree and it does not stand for Bachelor of Science.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: I talk the truth, but I just you know it's good BS. It's united. I talk. I answer questions, answer your phone calls, give out the I'll give out the number one more time. May not be able to get you, but it is a voicemail and you can leave a voicemail question whatever you want. Three four, six, twenty nine hex and t X A N. Congratulations to whoever won the Cabo Bob's Gift Card and the Total Wireless Victor Gift Card. We give those out on a regular basis and hopefully we made your new year off to a right start. Do you know whose New year did not get off to a very good start. You know who did not have a good week. It's Ford, the Ford Motor Company. Yikes. Earlier this week their x account allegedly was hacked and they quickly pulled it down. But it was something to the effect of Gaza and Israelis and Ford quickly took that thing down and they issued, you know, some sort of an apology that that was not us, it was hacked or whatever. And whether it was hacked or not, and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt saying it was hacked instead of some crazy employee whose last day was December thirty. First, it still resonates, it was out there in the media. And then number two and this was sad the tragedy that happened in New Orleans with the truck going through Bourbon Street and killing so many people. It was just horrible and not a good way to wake up on January first to a new year. The truck was a Ford Lightning. It was an ev It was a Ford Lightning, which actually I believe was rented in the Houston area. And again I am not speculating, not doing anything. I'm just giving the facts of Ford is having a very bad week. And the shots of the photos, let me put it this way, the photos of the truck that finally came to a rest somewhere on Bourbon Street, it clearly showed it was a Ford and it was a Ford Lightning, which is an EV. So I think they said they were cop cooperating with the authorities or something. And I'm not blaming Ford whatsoever. It's just the dude who rented it happened to rent it Ford Lightning, which is interesting because if he rented it in Houston and went to New Orleans, that dude easily had to stop at least two times somewhere on Ien and sit there at a charging station for about an hour to get that thing done. And if you listen to my rap if you listen to my show from a week or two ago, where I test drove a Hummer EV from Houston to Lake Charles, and I went into a ten minute diatribe of why I'm probably in my personally, I'm not getting an EV because I had a hard time in Lake Charles finding a charging station that then killed an hour and fifteen minutes of my time away from the gambling tables, and it cost me eighty five dollars to charge it up. No, no, and so that anyway we'll we'll leave it at that. Ford just not having a good week. I am going to be hanging out with I don't know is Ford. I need to check. Will Ford be at CS. There will be a lot of vehicle manufacturers this coming week at the Consumer Electronics Show. If you do follow me on Instagram x Facebook, you're going to see a lot of posts. If you want me to specifically see something that you read about or hear about, or see on some national media. A lot of national media will be there. I will have a broadcast booth specifically mine High Tech Texan situated in one of the Las Vegas convention floor halls. Generally I'm right next to right near CNN and Fox and CNBC and tech Crunch and all this other stuff. It's, you know, it's nice opportunity to mix and mingle with my filo media folks, get interviews with some other people who do what I do. Their opinions are generally different than my opinions, and also have interviews on with manufacturers who are out there, who are rolling out there refrigerators with touch screens and things that you may not need or may not afford speaking with here. Here, here's one more. Somebody has sent me this. Hey a Garth, I know you're going to see, yes, see what your thoughts on in this? And you know why the companies keep coming out with products that we don't need as a consumer. That's from Jessica. Jessica's in the North part of Dallas. She's listening. It's a good point. She sent me this link and I saw this and I'm I'll probably walk through the LG booth. LG, you know, they make so many things. They make refrigerators, they make kitchen appliances, they make big TVs, they make phones. LG is going to launch its latest microwave oven. It is an LG signature model and it features a twenty seven inch touchscreen display on a microwave. Let us never be with al screens people. The test green display is being described as an immersive entertainment experience right in your kitchen. Microwave also connects to Wi Fi for streaming content and it has built in speakers. You know, finally I could watch stuff during the ninety seconds it takes popcorn to pop And this is why I go to cees to wrap up this show to get content on things that are smirkish, laughable, going, people, do we really need this? And that's the way I cover products. I'm a serious person because I understand you're putting your heart earned money into products that you want my opinion of don't ever mistake or get me wrong on that. That comes first. But there's ways for me to deliver, to deliver content where okay, maybe it's a little tongue in cheek, Hey this is good. I'm not the guy I used to be, the guy who comes back from ces going this is the greatest, Ignorerald, the like goodness. There's a high definition TV, and there's a new computer and there's a printer. This is I am now very very jaded. I take things at arm's length, going, hey, this is nice. I know what they're doing. They're trying to get some press, some ink, some digital ink of people like me in the media to talk about this so I can mentioned the word LG, which I just did. What is it right? And is it real for consumers? Odds are a lot of the stuff that I'm going to see are not. But it's still fun and it's funny and It's something to kick off the year, which I have done almost almost half my life, maybe forty percent of my life. As I get into the twenty second, twenty third year, that I do that. But I don't know. Maybe if I could fit in a twenty seven inch touchscreen display microwave oven in my carry on back, I will give that away. And that's what Next week I will be coming to you from Las Vegas. I will be pre recording some of some interesting interviews. But if you want to follow along the p by p the play by play as I call it, absolutely I do. Thank you for following me on the social media, specifically the Instagram, p X High Tech Textion Hi g h t E c h t E S A listener for everybody who's been a part of this show. Thank you to Cabo Bob's and Total Wireless, US Coins and Jewelry and Quston Campbell's Compounding Pharmacy and Houston two locations, astounds a STO U N d Z with a Z over there the great website and SEO it's a curb my website. Those guys are great, happy, happy, healthy New Year to you, and I look forward to talk to you every single weekend, right here on whatever station or whatever means you're listening to it. My name is Michael Garfield, and right now the first show of twenty twenty five is over.