Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty. It's the Bill Handles Show. He's back on Monday, Wayne Resnik. Here some of the stories we're watching for you. The Canyon Crest fire which started in Fontana and grew very quickly. Oh, we have currently by the way, it's it's two hundred and fifty acres.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I was going to tell you that. Oh, sweet, sweet, sweet, Michelle Cube, you forgot for a moment which host you were working with. I did. I'll leave you of course I have the latest from this. By the way, I'm going to give a website here because people in that area. This is where you can also find out the evacuation warning parameters, the borders of the evacuation order areas. Let me say it a different complicated way, the different locations that together form the boundaries of the area, which if you are in them, you are under an event sacuation warning Fire dot c A dot gov is where if you're in Riverside County, you're anywhere near this Canyon Crest fire that started in Fontana, you can find out if you need to start thinking about or at least be ready for possible evacuation. We'll keep an eye on that fire for everybody, all right, ladies and gentlemen. It's never really a normal home buying market. It's never just normal. It cycles through being a buyer's market, a seller's market, a nobody's market. And we are entering another weird time for people looking to buy or sell a home. But now there's a complication that I don't think anybody alive has had to deal with before. So the things that are cyclical. Housing prices peaked over the summer. Many many areas had record home prices over the summer. The increase in the cost of houses is slowing down somewhat right now. Prices are still going up, just not as much. It's like the inflation thing. Also, mortgage rates were very low in the summer, or at least relatively low. They're starting to go up again. But people who've been been looking for a home for a while, they're kind of used to that. But now there's another thing going on. And I Len Gonzales, now, do you know why I invited you to be here for this segment?
Speaker 3: If you want, I'm still trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, are you not? Do you not, or are you being sarcastic right now? No?
Speaker 3: No, I was actually I was trying to work on some other stuff and I.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry. Okay, that's fine. Well it's because can I say, can I say what you do when you're not here? A kfi? Oh sure, why not? I'm an open bu you're a realtor. I am, yeah, So that's why I said you could jump in if you wanted to. Anyway, I'm going to pay a tition.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, so here's the thing that's going on that nobody alive has dealt with before, and it's this. It used to be you had a house, you sold a house, you paid a six percent commission, and half of that went to whoever the agent that represented the buyer. Basically, the seller of the house paid for the buyer's agents commission. And then a bunch of homeowners got together and sued the National Association of Realtors and said, this is a violation of antitrust laws to do it this way, and we're paying too much to sell a home because we're actually subsidizing the buyer. And there was a settlement and NAR was ordered to pay over four hundred million dollars out and to change the way that business is done. So what's confusing now is nobody knows how to write the agreements about how much is the seller's agent going to get? And then the buyer now has to deal with the question of how much commission do I want to pay whatever real estate agent or realtor I use to help me buy a home. Because usually the buyer doesn't have to think about that, and now they do. So that's not everybody confused because nobody's one hundred percent sure what's required what's not required. Can you still have the seller pay the buyer's realtors commission if everybody agrees to it? Yes, Apparently the answer is yes, but not everybody wants not every seller is going to want to agree to that. And now apparently, and I don't know if this is happened to you yet, you got a buyer and they go, hey, uh, you know, I got a buyer and they'd like to come see this house. And then the seller's agent says, do you have in writing an agreement with this buyer about how much commission you are going to get if they buy this house. No, we don't have anything in writing you're not allowed to look at the house exactly that. So you, when you say exactly that, means you are well aware of this new phenomenon.
Speaker 3: I am one hundred percent aware. There's been a quite a learning curve with it, and I have several clients that they actually don't like it. I have a seller. I have a seller. He's paying commission to the buyer's agent. So he's paying the six percent we'll say, to the person selling the house and the person that comes in with the buyer. And now when he goes to buy a house, he says, well, I want it fairs fair. Now when I go, I don't want to have to pay again.
Speaker 1: Right that the tradition is making it hard to get the new normal in place. Yes, that's exactly right, because nobody, nobody who bought a house recently, is used to the idea that they, out of their pocket, would have to pay their realtors. So people are trying to figure out the rules, and it's this. It's one thing when people who want to buy a house or sell a house are confused and don't quite know what to do, and now the real estate agents themselves also are confused. So hopefully this gets worked out because a lot of people want to buy houses. Yes, and I understand supply is up a bit.
Speaker 3: It started there.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so that's one good thing for buyers. Anyway, that's what happened with your real estate commissions. All right, Michelle Cuba is here in for an this morning, and we just heard a nice promotion for the fourteenth annual Pastathon that is going on, and that guy should make a face like that. I clapped, Oh, I can't see your hands. I can't see your hands. I only saw your your head and your face do a thing that made it sound like either I was wrong that it's the fourteenth annual or that you yourself were shocked to finally realize that it's the fourteenth annual Postathon. So they told you about how you can donate, and we'll tell you again a little bit later in the show, but we should talk for a moment about the auction experience items that are available during Postathon, which benefits Caterina's Club Chef Bruno's charity that feeds all those hungry kids every week all over southern California. If you go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash Pastathon, you will be able to bid on many items, including co host an Hour with John Coe Belts. That's my favorite one. The only auction item where the item hates it. John does not. He doesn't like it, but we love it so much. You would co host an Hour with John Coe belt one to four pm Monday through Friday. I mean only one of those hours. We pick the topics. You get to rant with John about the issues of the day, and oh, it says something else here that is a little foreshadowing. It says make sure you drink enough caffeine to keep up with him. You could also bid on going to a Dodgers game with Gary and Shannon, or a Kings game with Uncle t Bones himself Tim Conway Junior. You could also co host later with Mo Kelly, our evening show here on KFI, which will be for sure a more cordial experience, definitely. Or if you don't want to be on the radio, you can have our own House Whisperer Dean Sharp whisper Your House, a three hour exclusive in home design console with Dean and his lovely wife Tina. Must be in LA and Orange County for that one. Or now everybody has feet pretty I mean pretty much. I apologize if somebody is listening and you don't have feet. I know not every single human being currently now has feet, I am aware of that, but most people have at least a foot. Most people, I bet ninety nine zero point four percent of all people listening now have at least one foot. So you could bid on a pair of handcrafted sandals from our own Angel Martinez.
Speaker 2: And can I tell you something because I have five pairs of these. These are the most comfortable flip flops I have ever had in my entire life.
Speaker 1: They're amazing. Even bought them for my husband. They're very, very nice. And you will get a pair of these sandals plus a custom sandal kit, each of them designed and handcrafted by Angel Martinez. Hey, you know they have a heel cup and an art support built in. That's why they're so comfort So they're super super comfortable when you walk around on them. Anyway, you can check them out at now. Is this pronounced naughty? Is that what's going on here? But it's Nauti USA dot com na u t I USA dot com as a nautical for the beach where you would wear these sandals, although you don't have to wear them at the beach. Please tell me, Michelle, there's not a surprise twilight zonesque clause in this auction where if you bid on these and you win them, that you're only allowed to wear them at a beach. No, you can wear them anyway, because that would be a bunch of bs right there. You can wear them anyway, all right. So those are some of the things that you can bid on if you would like to have a nice experience involving someone at KFI. Now we talked about you got to drink your caffeine to be with John. The most important thing at a radio station is coffee. And I'm not wrong. F the microphones. We don't even care if we came in one day and there were no microphones. As long as there was still coffee, we'd be happy. And we just go to the top of the building and scream the show. I don't drink coffee. I never have. I don't either. Well, what is happening earlier? Mutants? No, you are like mutineers. This is a mutiny going on, all right. Well, look, every place has an odd duck or two, So just quickly let me tell you what I wanted to talk about, because because this is one of the most controversial things that I have ever heard about. If you're a coffee person, there are a lot of hotels now that are trying to put a little morge into their coffee service in the room. Like right now, you go to a hotel, maybe they have a currig or they have that cheap I don't forgot who makes it, but it's like a weird thing. We have to open up to packet and pour it into a cone and stick it in a flimsy plastic machine. Well, a lot of them are starting to go top notch coffee snob and put pour over coffee setups in the room. Now, for those of you not familiar, if you're going to do pour over coffee, you need a kettle of some kind to heat your water, which must be one hundred and ninety five degrees or else what are you doing? Man? And you need coffee freshly ground, so you need a grinder and some whole beans. Then you need a chemex or some other pour over flask and a filter and it's a whole ritual. Sounds like a lot of work. It is a lot of work. Now, if you're a super coffee snob, you may welcome this, and the hotels that are doing this say, we think the making of the coffee in the room should be a pleasant and relaxing and mindful experience. But here's what's happening. You don't know what kind of coffee person is renting your hotel room. You have no idea. So for every person who walks in and goes, oh man, this is kick ass, this is unbelievably cool, there's somebody who walks in who goes, I just want a curig or something. I don't want to go through all of this Michigoths for a cup of freaking coffee. So if this is important to you, I guess my word of wisdom is, from now on, you book a room at a hotel, and it's important to you find out what they got going on coffee wise in that room, so you don't get an unpleasant surprise that they thought was going to be super pleasant for you. So I don't think i'd want it. I don't want that. If I want a nice, fancy coffee, I'll go to the professionals. So that's what's going on. Plus, also, the price of coffee is going to go way up. There's been a drought in Brazil, reserves are low, and Arabica beans the prices on the futures market are going up, so expect your cup of fancy coffee to also cost more. Now you can't. This is for the coffee people. You could just drink some robusto, you filthy animal. You could do that if you want, Except guess what price of even filthy, disgusting robustos also going up, So you can't win. Switch to tea or four loco if they still sell it. They did capping out of four loco, so is it three loco?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: They took one of the locos out got too crazy out there? That's loco. That's like saying we've removed harpo from the Marx Brothers movies. What are you doing, ladies and gentlemen, It's a documentary on the Beatles, except there will be no mention of George. Who wants it at that point? All right, let's talk about this facility in Colorado. If you're inside of it, you'll notice a couple of things. One thing is right out the window, you see the rocky mountains, very beautiful. Another thing you'll notice is it kind of looks like a college dorm. There's dudes walking around with like hiking boots and rock band the T shirts. But it is not fun in games inside of this place because outside around owned it are armed guards. Why what are they doing in there, Well, here's what they're doing. They are building a system to detect geoengineering. Some people call it solar radiation modification. This is when you put the main way of doing it, as I understand it is you blow a bunch of aerosols, mostly carbon dioxide. You blow that up into the air so it reflects back the Sun unto itself so that it would not warm the Earth as much. And this is one of the approaches that has been discussed what to do with global warming. Well, what if we blocked out some of the energy from the Sun. And everyone agrees that this probably would work in the sense that it would cool the planet, but we don't know what other catastrophes it would cause. Catastrophes to weather patterns, catastrophes to agriculture, to local economies, to all kinds of stuff. So while there is an agreement that we should look into it, we don't want anybody going rogue with it. We don't want some other country deciding to do a little geoengineering on their own. It wouldn't even have to be a country.
Speaker 4: It could just be some super rich guy who decides to do it, I don't know, like a guy who bought a social media platform and changed the name from two syllables to one syllable and ruined that.
Speaker 1: So the United States, in cooperation with several other countries, are developing and have already developed a lot of a system to detect if some rogue entity were to blow a bunch of aerosols into the atmosphere, because we want to know if it's happening. And it's pretty sophisticated because here's what they do. Every few weeks. They launch a balloon. It's not a birthday balloon, it's not a milar balloon. It's a very special balloon that goes up seventeen miles into the sky. Sometimes they launch it from Boulder, Colorado, sometimes from Alaska or Hawaii, but also New Zealand, an island near the coast of Africa called Reunion Island, even Antarctica. And up this balloon goes, and it's carrying this box with the size of I think a lunch box maybe, and it's got a little gizmo's in there, wires and tubes, and what it does is it sucks in some air and it analyzes the air for the presence of an unusual amount of these aerosols and relays the information in real time back to Colorado. So you send the balloon up and if it goes, hey, man, there's way way more aerosols here than they're supposed to be. Boom, we would know something is going on. And they even have some testing equipment that would allow them to figure out because you would know where the aerosols are right now that whoever the evil genius Madman put in the air, they have equipment that can tell them when and where they were released. It's like a shot collar system, but for aerosols. So that is what they're working on. It involves the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, who are working with NASA, who are working with these other countries that I mentioned, all in the spirit of cooperation because while we pursue this as a possible intervention for global warming, we don't want someone to get carried away and cause a lot of trouble. So that's what's going on there. So the guys in the in the you know the National Tour t shirts from when they saw the National four years ago. Inside, Oh, don't try to get close to them because the arm guards will not let you. All right now, this might get a little gross for you, because sometimes animals are not all furry and cuddly, but they're always fascinating. Here's some animals in the news, never upsetting. This is heavy petting. And let's talk about the green spoon worm if we may. This is I want to say, it's basically a sea monster. It is this long thing named for its nose, which is shaped like a spoon and also has a like a mouth part on it that sticks out of the ground and sucks up like plankton, another organic organic material that's in the water. It could be algae, it could be rotten stuff. Even poop, it could be it could be fish poop. They're like vacuum cleaners, but only this long nose part sticks out. The rest of its body is hidden underground, except the nose is ten times longer than the body. They're also a bright green because of a pigment call bonellin, which is poisonous, and that's how they worn Predators don't chomp on me. You may see my long, beautiful green nose flowing around in the ocean sucking up poop, but do not chomp me because you will die. Okay, But here's the thing. Here's the thing. They don't all look like that, the green ones, those are the ladies. Because here's what's going on with this animal. The sex of one of these animals is based on chemistry, not genetics. Chemistry. Here's what happens. Larva hatch of this spoon worm and they go and they're floating in the ocean. If the larva lands on the seafloor, it becomes a female with the green, long nose. But if a larva lay on a female spoonworm, it becomes a dude. What, yes, that would be? That would be like, I don't even if fetuses. This is going a long way to try to get the analogy, but I don't care. Let's say human fetuses grew outside of the body, and the rule was if you put the fetus in a wool blanket, it turns into a boy. But if you put it in a in a cotton pretale sheet, it turns into a girl. It's kind of like that that's weird. Here's the other part. Okay, this is not the only animal where this happens, by the way, there aren't that many, but there's a couple of others. So a larva comes and lands on a female and definitely says, oh, damn it, Now I have to be a dude. Not that there's inherently anything wrong with being a dude, except as to this particular animal. Being a dude means being absorbed into the body of the female and existing only to fertilize her eggs. Wow, they become the male of the species. Are basically little, tiny parasites that get absorbed by the female and the sole reason for their existence is to fertilize their eggs. And a particular scientist said the following about it. I'll tell you the scientist's name, Tronde Rogers oscars at the more for Skiing Research Institute, and where he said it's being it's like being reduced to a living testicle. Where is that institute? I don't know. To me, based on the name of it, I would say Cleveland. What was the name of it? Again? The more Foresking Research Institute m with a slash through it. R. E. F. O r skiing anyway, So that's no fun to be a dude spoon worm. Oh my god, Norway, that's where it is. Yeah, of course it is. Okay, let's finish with this. There was a mystery at a school. The only bad thing about this story is because we know what the segment is, we kind of will know how it ends. But at a school in Japan, a kindergarten, someone was stealing the shoes of the children. You know, in Japan, they take their shoes off when they go in and then they give the kids these little slipper things to wear, but they don't always wear those, and they put them in a cubby and they were disappearing. And at first the parents and the people of the school were like, oh no, oh great, we have a shoe pervert. We have a children's shoe pervert comeing into the school and stealing the shoes. So they put up a security camera and the very next day they caught the thief. Well they didn't catch the thief, but they caught the thief on camera. And it's a weasel. It's a weasel, which you know, there's some places where you can have a weasel as a pet and people who have weasels at pets will give them toys for the sole purpose of the weasel hiding it. They like to take things and hide them apparently, so it was a weasel coming in and taking the shoes and putting them who knows where. Nobody knows where the weasel. The shoes will never be recovered because nobody knows where the weasel's hiding place is. It's a wild weasel, it's not somebody's pet. Oh. Now they put netting over the cubby holes so the weasel can't take the kid's shoes, and the weasel is still on the loose.
Speaker 2: Oh. I was gonna say they should set up somebody to sit there, and when the weasel shows up, they should follow the weasel, because.
Speaker 1: Then they're gonna end up with a whole pile of shoes. I don't true. I guess they don't.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they hide them all their stuff in the same place or if they spread it out. Oh, I don't know, because you'd have to Is a ferrets do that too? Ferrets will steal your stuff and take it. Yep, fer it's a basis.
Speaker 1: You have to ask the weasel.
Speaker 2: I'll have to find a weasel to ask him.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's one upstairs.
Speaker 2: I'll go, I'll go.
Speaker 1: Look all right, It's KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app