Speaker 1: You never know who you're gonna see at the ballpark, especially in Atlanta where the players play. And we're with one of the players right here, former Dodger, one of the great players of his generation, the one and only Carl Crawford here visiting the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: See see great to see you again. Man. I'm glad to see you guys. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I'm glad they called me and told me to come up see see you guys. I haven't seen you guys since what twenty sixteen, So you know, it's good to get around the game and getting the ballpark.
Speaker 2: You know, it feels good.
Speaker 1: What was it like going into the clubhouse to see some of the guys that you played with. There's not too many, but there's still a few familiar faces.
Speaker 2: But the funny thing is.
Speaker 3: A lot of these guys were so young when I was, when I was when I retired, that they like, oh like little brown little men into they farms now.
Speaker 2: So it was cool to see them. Man, I'm glad to see that.
Speaker 3: You know, guys that I worked with when they was young or you know, doing doing excelling and doing real well in the big league right now.
Speaker 1: Did you remember the little guy Austin Barnes. He is a second basement night as they catch you one of.
Speaker 2: The we with one of the who little ones.
Speaker 3: You know, him and Jock Peterson used to be side by side, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, well those guys, yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, Like I said, it's nice to see him and see him actually doing well.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Those were some good players and I always thought they was gonna be really good players. And to see how they how they turn out, is just great.
Speaker 2: Carl.
Speaker 1: You brought back some great memories. I do you remember in the clubhouse? Jack Peterson looking up to you just willn't leave your side. The player that he's become. Did you see that when he was a rookie?
Speaker 2: Ye? I saw it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: With rookie and then you know, like I said, I had to go down for a couple of thinks in the minor league. So I saw him when he was going thirty thirty in the minors, so I.
Speaker 2: Already knew he he had the talent to do what he's doing. Now, you know he's I'm.
Speaker 3: Glad his personality is still the same he still has fun to go about the game in a great way.
Speaker 2: So, uh, you know, it's good to see that he's doing well.
Speaker 3: One of my little ye what they say, protezades and whatnot little bros. Yeah, yeah, man, you little bro for real though, So now I'm glad to see you're doing well.
Speaker 1: When you look back at your career, what do you think about the most?
Speaker 3: I just think about just always playing and just being in different cities, meeting new people, being around the God, and just competing. You know, that's one of the toughest things that when you've done playing, you gotta find someone else to you to take that competitive nature too, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And those are some of the things you missed when you leave the game.
Speaker 1: When you retired from baseball, Where did you channel all of that competitive design?
Speaker 2: How talented? Ho chalented?
Speaker 3: I can say it to the music business, you know, I took I took my craft really really serious. I understood that nobody was gonna take me serious in it, and that you know.
Speaker 2: If I put together, if I put the.
Speaker 3: F like I did into baseball, like I did into any other type of enterprise, that I'll be successful. And that's that's kind of an approach I took.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got your own record label. You're very successful, Carl Crawford.
Speaker 3: You know, it took me a lot of how to go through a lot, just like anybody starting a new business.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, uh here.
Speaker 3: And I'm I got new artists that I want to put out there, and you know, I just want to watch my son play and promote.
Speaker 2: New promote new new artists and do stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Your son, Justin Crawford is rising through the Phillies minor leagues. He was one of the top picks in the Major League draft a few years ago.
Speaker 2: How proud are you of Justin?
Speaker 3: Well, I I'm so proud of him because he set goes to to you know, to beat my goals and to actually se him a compass though it was great. You know, I have a story here with one of the clubhouse here, Chico. Yeah, yeah, Chico used to be in a dugout with him when he was a kid. And I tell myself, I tell Justin, hey, don't you talk about money, contracts, nothing, And as soon as I leave, Chico say, he he talking about everything you told him not to.
Speaker 2: He say he gonna get that contract one day.
Speaker 3: He don't care what his daddy say, so and he and he did, so you know stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, beat my time.
Speaker 3: In the sixties and uh, you know what I'm saying, just just just being an all around polished player already at where he's at.
Speaker 2: In his career.
Speaker 1: How much do you think you bringing him to the ballpark when you were playing for the Dodgers really get gave him a couple of legs up on the rest of the kids.
Speaker 3: You always give him advantage because you know that the wild factor is gone. They come in and they like, oh well, I mean, you know they people gonna always get excited because just the big leagues. But you know, it makes it a little easier when you can come see a guy that you was chilling with, you know what I'm saying when you were about seven or eight, you know, and just talk to him and kind of get comfortable and uh, you know that way you can go about your business. And then he has a real business like approach. So whether whether he was in the clubhouse or now, he's gonna come in and focus.
Speaker 2: He lays the show.
Speaker 1: Focus and Carl Crawford still got that signature smile. Justin looks almost exactly like you. When I see him smile, I think of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nah, that's cool. That's the way it's supposed to be. Man, that's my son. Even though he you know, he like we look you know, we looked more like brothers.
Speaker 2: Like brothers together. So he don't like tell people I'm his daddy, you know.
Speaker 1: He speaking of family, what about your brothers? Do you still got the barbecue going in Houston?
Speaker 3: We still got the barbecue restaurant and burn Barbecue. My brothers still aroun dad. We still do all the family stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I got other kids coming up, you know, Justin.
Speaker 2: Then't gonna be the only one in the big leagues. Yeah. So, and then I got nephews.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Like, if we still have a whole feminine fell wow, the major leagues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so awesome. Carl Crawford is our guest. All right, Carl, before I let you go, that's John Sue.
Speaker 2: Who John sou Who? What's up? Baby? Right? Your kids like thirty years old? What's going on? Man?
Speaker 3: Making me feel oh man like Jesus?
Speaker 2: So Yeah, man, it's all good.
Speaker 1: You were with the Dodgers for a short time, but it seems like you left such a great impression with everybody that came in contact. You had so much joy, and guys would tell me you were the funniest guy in the clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you know, you gotta try to stay loose, like I say, Man, it's a long season, and enjoy everything. When I got to La, you know, it was still was just one of the those things where I was able to smile again because you know, I had just came off the stuff from Boston, so La was just like it was just the hend of note.
Speaker 2: I needed at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you people ask me what you were like, I always tell him, I said, I would read Carl the schedule for next year, and I would tell him whether or not we were going to Boston.
Speaker 3: Hey, I was able to I was able to avoid it for three years, man, So you know, hey, man, I gotta looking man. But you know, like I said, I enjoyed my time in LA. I wish I could have played longer, but at the end of the day, I took it for.
Speaker 2: What is worth.
Speaker 3: And uh, like I said, I really appreciate the fans in La, the people, the city, to town, everything, So I really enjoyed my time I stayed in La.
Speaker 1: You were at the beginning of this run of winning for the Dodgers. You were part of that when they made the trade for you and Gonzo and those guys that really started it. What have you seen from the team and what do you think they need to do to get over that hump to win it again?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think they just got to keep doing what they're doing.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna lie, you know, since I'll have and then I been watching it as much.
Speaker 1: But I know they've been seeing the old tiny show though.
Speaker 2: I've been seeing that. You know what I'm saying. I want to meet that guy because he's awesome.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, they're gonna always win the same way with pitching, defense and timely hitting. So uh, you know, I don't see why they shouldn't take it all this.
Speaker 2: Year, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: All right, and I'm in Houston, you know what I'm saying, you know, but I know that I know what the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: I know what the Dodgers are capable of.
Speaker 1: Yah and Carl great, seeing you great, sharing you with the fans again, come around more often.
Speaker 2: We miss you, I do, man, just you know you feelings see me with Justin.
Speaker 3: It's just when you starting to when you're starting any type of business and you know you want it done right, you have to be hands on with it, you know, and it takes you to kind of get stuff the way you want it. You know what I'm saying, Because like I say, you know, you gotta be deal with the ups and downs of learning something new. And but once I get it well, you know, selling smooth exactly how I want it, I'll be back all the way, you know.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: With all that blink, it feels like things are going good for Carl Crawford.
Speaker 3: Hey, man, I can't complain at the moment, that's all I know.
Speaker 2: Had them funny. Yeah, Hey, great to see you, Carl. Thanks a lot for the time, all right, man, thanks for having me