Speaker 1: Welcome to dorking Out. My name is Sonya Mansfield and I am an actress, not a doormat. Do not wipe your boots on me. Joining me is my podcasting sister from Another Mister and the co host of Dorking Out, Margot d Hello, my friend Lord rejoed. So sad we are dorking out. About nineteen eighties. Somewhere in time, everyone's talking about the new Superman movie, and I don't know, I just felt like it was we should talk about a different Christopher Reeve movie. So somewhere in time it is. Also, this was a request. We have been getting requests for this one. It's directed by Jeno Seeswart.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Squeeze Work, who directed Jaws two, which I just.
Speaker 2: Watched as well. Oh, I just watched it too, okay.
Speaker 1: Screenplay by Richard Matheson, based on his book Bid Time Return, and it stars Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer. My friend, did you see this in the theater?
Speaker 2: No? No, I did not, But I was on TV quite a bit in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was on HBO all the time. Yeah, when I was a kid that I watched it a few times. I watched it a few times as a kid, like I would have been like eleven or something when I saw it. And I don't know why I would keep watching it, to be honest, because it's not really a very entertaining movie for kids. But maybe it's because it was Christopher Reeve and I was like, hey, that's Superman, and I just kept watching it whenever it was on.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, once the story gets going, you do want to find out how it works out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. But once I saw that evil Penny, oh, nineteen.
Speaker 2: Seventy nine, Penny, it's the villain of the piece.
Speaker 1: But we just skipped to the end. Let's get into it first of all. Do we just want to talk about how very beautiful this couple is.
Speaker 2: I mean, the fact that they didn't have babies is kind of tragic to me. What away, but he was having babies with other people at the time, Yes, so he was busy. But they make a gorgeous couple.
Speaker 1: Of course you want them to be together. They're beautiful. Yeah, they're beautiful and perfect. And the movie stars Christopher Eve, and he is a playwright in this. I think he's in seventy nine or eighty. You know, he's a play right, and he's pretty successful. And he's at one of his like events and this like old woman comes up to him and she hands him like an old pocket watch and she's like come back to me, and she leaves and he's like, hmm, what's all this then, but he really loves the pocket watch. He's holding onto it, he's using it. Then it like jumps eight years later and he is like struggling to write a play. It looks like he's maybe he's got a little writer's block. And he decides to go stay at this hotel called the Grand Hotel that's in Michigan. Yeah, And while he is there, he like sees this picture, this old portrait of Jane Seymour, who was an actress who was performing in a play there, and he becomes obsessessed, obsessed with her.
Speaker 2: Well is this woman of nineteen twelve? Yes, I wants to have her.
Speaker 1: She will be mine? Oh, yes, she will be mine. The hotel like has a hall of history, and maybe hotels have this sort of thing. There's the portrait of doctor Quinn medicine woman also known as Jane Seymour. She performed in like one play there. Yeah, and it's in a very prominent location, and I guess.
Speaker 2: It was well received and she became famous or something, because yeah, they're real proud of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah they I'm like, does she become real famous after this, because they make it sound like, well, anyway, we're gonna get into it. Yeah. So he there's like an older man who works at the hotel named Arthur, who has been at the hotel forever and he knows all the stories. So he asks him about this portrait and he's like, she was an actress. She performed here, And he decides to do some more research because he is now obsessed. And he talks to like her maid who wrote a book about her, and discovers that she was really obsessed with time travel and she was always reading this one book about time travel that just so happens to be written by one of his former professors. So then he goes to visit this former professor who convinces him that you can basically hypnotize yourself and travel back.
Speaker 2: In time, which if that were true, I would have been gone a long time ago. I do not want to be here.
Speaker 1: We're all trapped in the worst timeline.
Speaker 2: I am telling you, if that's all it is ourselves, No, he just records it into a tape recorder, a tape deck, and like when it's like thirty minutes a side or something like that, I mean it didn't you even had to flip it over. But yeah, I mean apparently you could self hypnotize and send yourself back into back in time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he buys the like, he buys an old timey suit from nineteen it's supposedly nineteen twelve. He cuts his hair, he like goes and he gets some like old money, and he makes this recording of himself telling himself over and over it's six pm, it's June twenty seventh, it's nineteen twelve. And he does it repeatedly, removes everything that would remind him of the current day except the tape recorder, and he just keeps repeating it over and over and over, and he that's when he realizes, duh, the tape recorder is reminding me of the present. So when he hides the recorder, he goes through it again and he wakes up in nineteen twelve. It's so easy.
Speaker 2: Anyone can do it, if it were only so sonya.
Speaker 1: If it was only so. And there's a rather long sequence of him like trying to get out of a room that he trapped in and like to talk to the guy who's running the hotel, and he runs into like little boy Arthur who's playing ball in the It's all very time consuming, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's longer than I remember. And it's a lot of filler, A lot, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 1: And it does give like Christopher Eve an opportunity to do a little bit of I was gonna say, like physical comedy, but that's not quite right. It gives the impression that he's doing prap falls or something. But we do get to first of all, he's a huge man, and he's gigantic.
Speaker 2: He's like six' four or something. Like he's he just towers over. Her she's a tiny.
Speaker 1: Thing, yes he's like and he's like hiding in a room behind A he's, like there's no way they don't see. Him he is Fucking Christopher. Reeve he's, huge he's. Superman but. Whatever he finally like, walks he's he goes to the lake and she's, there and of course She's Jane. Seymour she's beautiful like an, angel and you, know he walks up and immediately she's like is it? You and you you told me this, story yeah the other day that they fell in love during.
Speaker 3: Filming, yes like true, story true story there they they fell in love making this movie and she talks about it in The Christopher eve documentary that came out last.
Speaker 2: Year and they would he was a pilot of, money you, know among all of his. Hobbies he had a little plane and they would fly From michigan To toronto and have a good. Time let's just say, yeah.
Speaker 1: AND i get it because again they are very beautiful people and of course you know they fall in, love and they fall in love in the movie, too like. Instantly he's, like it's very, strange like he he comes on really strong and in a be, honest a creepy.
Speaker 2: Way.
Speaker 1: Yeah and her manager Is Christopher, plummer and he's like he just wants her to be like a huge star and he thinks a man will be a distraction and he is not, wrong that's. Wrong so But Christopher reeve shows. Up he goes To Jane seymour and he's just, like you, KNOW i want to be with, You like let's spend some time together and she's like, sure like that's. Fine totally random man who just walked up to me and is coming on a little too, strong and they like he crashes like another dinner party and they like dance, together And Christopher plumber throws him, out and there's all this stuff where he's, like DO i look? Dangerous like you can trust? Me And i'm like he's a white, Man, yeah you are. DANGEROUS i don't trust, you you, Know and he's like sleeping. Outside it turns out he's wearing a suit that's like men haven't worn in like ten or fifteen years because.
Speaker 2: The style is all.
Speaker 1: Wrong he looks like a fucking.
Speaker 2: Weirdo, yeah he, said he's a total. Weirdo and, yeah there's a lot of. This LIKE i was, thinking like does he just have that one suit and one Under like is that all he has on? Him like he's wearing that for how many? Days? Yes i'm like it's kind of stink, right, yes he.
Speaker 1: Must he must smell. Terrible, yeah, Yeah and he's like sleeping outside because he doesn't have a room at the hotel at one point and he just keeps showing up in her room and he's, like CAN i see you? Today and she finally agrees to go for a walk with. Him i'm, LIKE i wouldn't go anywhere with. THIS i, mean He's Christopher. Reeve MAYBE i would go with.
Speaker 2: Him, YEAH i go for a walk at, least, Yes.
Speaker 1: But they, like they go for a, walk they, chat they stare aty each other, longingly and like instantly like she's in love with, him, instantly she's she's gonna, like fuck her. LIFE i want to be With.
Speaker 2: Superman, which, well he's also a, playwright so you know there is something they could do.
Speaker 1: Together, yes, Absolutely, Yeah and of, course like he's he's a nice, person he's just coming off.
Speaker 2: Yeast, yeah he's a little. Obsessed he's a little. OBSESSIVE i like. It is it the second date where he, Shaves, yes and he has the paper all over his face like my dad used to have likes to. Sit, Yeah i'm, like don't you take that off before you go out the.
Speaker 1: Door she lets him wear the paper on. Him, yeah for for a long.
Speaker 2: Time they're in a, car they're like going to the wind and. Everything it just sticks to his face All she just very, gingerly do you? Mind she just takes one of them off and then they make. Out.
Speaker 1: Yeah hours, later she's, like, Finally i've seen enough of your bloody paper that's on your.
Speaker 2: Face let me take this off for.
Speaker 1: You and she says That Christopher plumber told her at one point like she would meet a man who would change her life and that she.
Speaker 2: Should be afraid and like all of this, stuff but.
Speaker 1: Really Like, Chrisopher Christopher plumber was talking about like any. Man he wasn't really talking about him. Specifically he's talking, about, right someday a man will come along and you will fall in love and you won't want to be an actress, anymore.
Speaker 2: Right and he sees talent in, her and we do see her act on. Stage, yeah and, yeah she's very.
Speaker 1: Pretty she is very, pretty and she gives a big she's in her. Play she gives a big monologue about love that's not in the play and everyone's, like ohh and then that results in a standing, ovation which is a weird way to end that. Scene and it's a.
Speaker 2: Weird that's why they have the picture of her in the. Lobby so, yeah like one hundred years, later they don't they can't.
Speaker 1: Forget, also the play's not over that's the first they got.
Speaker 2: To that's the third. Act so it's a.
Speaker 1: Weird place for a standing, ovation that's for.
Speaker 2: Sure but that's.
Speaker 1: OKAY i guess if we're going to accept time, travel then we're going to accept that standing ovations are just going to happen in the middle of. Place Then Christopher reeve, like and there's a whole thing too where, like, yeah she gets her portrait taken and it's she happens to be looking At Christopher reeve when she has the portrait, taken and that's why she is making this beautiful. Smile and there's also a thing about the soundtrack that people are obsessed.
Speaker 2: With oh, YEAH i REMEMBER i once got a massage and they were playing the soundtrack for this movie and she's, like it's one of those like everybody loves the. Soundtrack, yes, Me, like it's just like it.
Speaker 1: Lulls, yes, yeah it. Is apparently it's a musical score By John. Barry it's like one of his first. ONES i looked it, up so it's, like this is the Eighteenth i'm gonna screw up the, name, y'all the eighteenth variation Of Sergey Romanov's rhapsody on a theme Of pinyani sure that like plays throughout the. MOVIE i also had a theater manager who was obsessed with this, soundtrack really, yes and, bought, like had me go out and buy, it sent me on an errand to buy CDs to play back in the kids ask your parents about.
Speaker 2: CDs i had to go.
Speaker 1: Out and buy like some movie soundtracks to play in our. Theater and he was very specific about he wanted The somewhere In time, soundtrack And i'm, like, Okay and so one of our theaters played The somewhere In times soundtrack for or a very long time because we just we might rotate the CDs between, auditoriums but we didn't go out and buy a lot of.
Speaker 2: New.
Speaker 1: CDs and then randomly we also had an arcade at this, theater and then at some point somebody moved The somewhere And dook soundtrack to the. Arcade AND i just thought it was very silly that all the games are, like, right The bear's, wheel and then it's just Like somewhere In times, soundtrack very relaxing playing over.
Speaker 2: It all these kids falling asleep at the wheel of the, archide.
Speaker 1: Just curling up under the pinball.
Speaker 2: Machine and going to.
Speaker 1: Sleep but people are people are still like this movie has a cult. Following, yes they like go to the hotel like every. Year they are obsessed with the. Soundtrack they celebrate the dates and the. Mood so it has a cult. Fun there are people who, love, love love this movie and the soundtrack is a. Thing, so oh where DID i leave?
Speaker 2: Off? Oh so.
Speaker 1: They go for their their big. Walk he goes to her. Room he makes this big. Move they like kiss and at some, point Like Christopher plumber like talks To Christopher reeve and he's, like stay the fuck away from. Her she's supposed to be a big star and you're going to distract. Her and he's, like, Nah i'm not gonna do. That i'm gonna be with her. Always and he's, like, Well i'm going to beat the shit out of you, Then so then he like hires these men to come and beat the shit out of him and they tie him up in a horse.
Speaker 2: Stable, yeah they kidnap, him but he's so, big like takes two of them like knock him out and they tie him up in a horse.
Speaker 1: Stable He's superman, suit, yes, yes he's in his shitty suit and they tie him up in a horse stable and Then Christopher plumber goes to her and he's, LIKE i guess he's just not that into because he. Left he, left and you, know she's, like he would never do. That this MAN i just met. Yesterday he loves. Me and When Chris fhery finally wakes up and gets out of the horse stable and he must smell so. Bad he runs out and he asks about the acting company and he's, like they just they.
Speaker 2: Left you miss.
Speaker 1: Them and it turns out that she stayed behind.
Speaker 2: For him because they love each. Other they love.
Speaker 1: Each other and so they like run to get together and then they like go to her room and she lets her hair.
Speaker 2: Down it's the slowest love scene. Ever there's like on half. Speed it is exactly on half. Speed it's he's, like can we pick this up? Please like we get, it like you're just gonna, smash let's do. It it's, going but it like for ten year old. Man i'm, like, oh that's what people.
Speaker 1: Do, yeah he just slowly lightly. Reached it's each other, yes inch by inch, yes and there's like a candle and they blow it out and it's so slow and then they make. Love so they're, yeah they're together, now and they're like sitting on the floor like eating food and talking about like they're gonna get, married and she's gonna buy them a new. Suit it's happening. People he's gonna get.
Speaker 2: Any suited underwear maybe, yeah man, Socks, yeah she socks and, shit, yeah she might get him a.
Speaker 1: Toothbrush it's gonna Be. Wow he's gonna be living the clean. Life and he's like with the suit is so, great and he's showing off and has all these it has, pockets and then he pulls out a penny.
Speaker 2: With the nineteen seventy died no and it's like so like it.
Speaker 1: Breaks of, course it breaks the whole like hypnotism thing he's got going, on and it like. Pull there's like a pulling that, happens and we see like he's pulling away and it's like tunnel vision on her and she's, like, rich that stupid fucking. Penny that's WHAT i wrote in my.
Speaker 2: If only for that. Penny and he wakes up in his, flat his, place and he looks like, SHIT i mean because he hasn't because BODIES i guess just been laying there and he has been.
Speaker 1: EATING i have so many questions like has he just been so he's been lying it's been like what two? Days, maybe, yeah maybe two or three. Days so he's been laying in that room for two or three, days like he's not. Eating there's like does housekeeping ever?
Speaker 2: Come did?
Speaker 1: They?
Speaker 2: He you like it a? Coma is he JUST i think like he's in a coma or something and nobody. Knows he didn't tell, anyone so he's just passed out in. There and they're used to, Say i'm like being gone for periods of time when he's, writing like if he's you, KNOW i know What i'm deep in writing. About sometimes you, know days will go by AND i don't. Remember but but he looks like dog. SHIT i mean he looks. Basically. Yes the doctor says like it looks like he hasn't eaten in a, week and we don't know really what happens to, Him like they get they're sent him to the.
Speaker 1: Hospital, yeah they Like arthur's, like this is my, fault Poor. Arthur he's LIKE i should have checked on, him like all. This it's, Like, arthur this shit is not your. Fault, yeah he's. Grown this is a grown ass man who could take responsibility for.
Speaker 2: Him he made some really strange, choices needless.
Speaker 1: To, say and he, like, well first he wakes up and then he like tries to like instantly go, back but that's not going to work because he's so fucked up and weak now from not. Eating then he's like wandering the hotel and eventually they go in and he's in his hotel like in the, room and, yeah that's when he's like he looks like dog, shit he hasn't eaten in forever and like and then they're going to take him to the, hospital but he dies before they can even do.
Speaker 2: That, yeah he. Expires and then but but is he in heaven and he's now With Jane? Seymour? Yes or did he go back in time by? Dying did he pick up where he? Was that's a good.
Speaker 1: Question SEE i took this as this is the, after like this is heaven or, something because the camera kind of the point the camera point of view like goes up and then he's like looking down on himself and then it like goes back, up AND i was, like, well that's it's supposed to be, heaven, Right BUT i hear what you're, saying, like does he just go back in.
Speaker 2: TIME i don't. Know maybe WELL i don't know what heaven, is SO i don't.
Speaker 1: Know but he takes her hand and then it's like priest. Frame and even in the afterlife he doesn't have a new.
Speaker 2: Suit, no he's wearing that same stupid. Suit. No and in the, AFTERLIFE i guess you're at your, hottest WHICH i, Haven't, MARGO i, hope so that'd be nice to think. About but, yeah that's the. Movie that's the MOVIE.
Speaker 1: I wrote down in my. Notes it turns out That Christopher plummer was. Right, yeah like just listen To Christopher. Plummer, yeah this man showed. Up he ruined her, career her life was sad and. Lonely, yeah he was exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah mental ruin. Everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah but, again like this movie was on.
Speaker 2: So much WHEN i was a.
Speaker 1: Kid definitely trying to cash in on the Like, Superman, yeah.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Yeah and also just it's just a romance film like people always like, those and it's got the little bit of time travel involved with, it SO i guess you get some of the sci fi people into, it also The superman. Stuff but, yeah it was on all the, time and it has these huge fans AND i, remember, LIKE i GUESS i must have watched it in like, spurts you, know just like bits and bobs here and, there BECAUSE i, LIKE i sat, Down i'm like at the and that like he's like he's just. Dead wait what that's. It that's the. End that's the. END i was, like oh my, god you could have been like this could have been a thirty minute episode like OF. Tv.
Speaker 1: Totally this is definitely like a like A Twilight Zone earth, Yeah Black mirror.
Speaker 2: Episode, yeah it's definitely, That like it was like thirty to forty minute episode of. That it'd be. Perfect it's a little it's a little slow and, dry especially for. Nowadays it's really. Hard it's hard to not be distracted watching. It they're, beautiful looks. AMAZING i like to visit. IT i mean it does look beautiful and that's ALL i. Got.
Speaker 1: Yeah the, Costumes, yeah like the clothes look. BEAUTIFUL i love stuff like. That SO i was, LIKE i would wear all of those. Dresses they're. Beautiful it's IT'S i feel like there's things they could have, Done, like like you, said it's slow and drags in some, parts like there really could have been or maybe that's just not the tone they. Want but this is a totally different. Time there could have been a little bit of fish out of. Water, yeah stuff that they maybe could have leaned. Into And Christopher reeve can be really. Funny like they probably could have gave him a little something to, do just to make him a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Charming. Yeah you see him in a movie Called Switching. Channels yes At Burt.
Speaker 1: Reynolds, yes it's like a remake of his Girl, friday right, Right.
Speaker 2: And it's sort of like A cnn kind of. Thing but it's In chicago And Burt reynolds with one of his rugs swin Back Kathleen, turner who's gonna Marry Christopher. Reeve and he plays this dipshit like his blonde. Hair they bleach his. Hair, oh he's ridiculous in that. Movie it's, like it's so. Slapstick what are you? Doing? YEAH i want to there was another comedy he.
Speaker 1: Did i'm, Like i'm gonna look at a look at HIS, IMDb like what else there was a different. MOVIE i want to look it up and see If i'm right that he was in.
Speaker 2: THIS i know he was in he was In Noises. Off oh, Okay Noises, Off.
Speaker 1: Yeah which a MOVIE i REALLY i remember really Liking Noises. Off it was like directed By Peter begdanovich and and it has Like Carol burnett And Michael kine and Like John. RITTER i Love John. Ritters, yeah like there's.
Speaker 2: He was also in a movie With Michael caine AND i forget Death. Trap, yeah that was a good.
Speaker 1: Movie, YEAH i like we Like Christopher reeve.
Speaker 2: Here OH i Love Christopher. REEVE I i have no. Problem he's not the problem with this. Movie she's not the problem with. It just like. It the problem with this movie is that there it should be more fish out of water and it should be more like it would be interesting if like he were coming along and being, like, hey you, know you could have more agency in your. Life you could be like this or that or you, KNOW i can write the scripts and you can do that and, yeah and it's it's just more just, like oh my, god you're so. Pretty, oh thank you you're you're.
Speaker 1: Pretty i'm, Pretty.
Speaker 2: Yeah thank? You so are? You? Like, okay that's. Great it's a good, start but it's not relationship. Material it's like it would have been nice to have had a little more development of. THEIRS i think THAT i think it's sort of a wasted opportunity that he's a playwright and he's like fulling in love with an actress that he's like not even, thinking LIKE.
Speaker 1: I could write, something, Right we could move To New.
Speaker 2: York we could move To San, Francisco, Cood, chicago we can go anywhere and just start up a theater, Together, like why don't we do?
Speaker 1: That this is the kind of. Movie they remake movies all the. Time i'm, like here's a movie that's dying for, remake like.
Speaker 2: Extent, well not for the, fans they're not gonna like.
Speaker 1: That, no but a lot of, people younger people haven't. Seen they don't know.
Speaker 2: Anything it's like A Joseph Gordon, Levitt, yes he would be.
Speaker 1: Perfect, yeah they could remake this movie, absolutely AND.
Speaker 2: I absolutely, right make it, better make it, better and more fish out of water, more.
Speaker 1: And you have to keep the sad ending.
Speaker 2: Though the.
Speaker 1: Penny you have to keep that fucking. Penny fucking penny.
Speaker 2: By. Bidega they don't even take pennies. Anymore they're just, like, nah we just don't even deal with.
Speaker 1: Them well we're not making them, anymore so, right, right. Exactly there's some great gifts, online by the, way if you, want you could go in there and google and there's like great gifts of him looking at the penny and it's, like, oh, evil, evil and that's why we don't make pennies. Anymore that's What i'm gonna. Do oh my, God i'm gonna show this movie to my son and tell him this is why we don't make pennies.
Speaker 2: Anymore he's gonna he's gonna tap out like five minutes into. This, oh oh my.
Speaker 1: God, No i'm this boggles my. MIND i was younger Than, calvin my. Thirty my son is. THIRTEEN i was younger Than calvin WHEN i saw, this AND i.
Speaker 2: Yeah but he likes disaster. Movies, yeah he's not gonna, no he would be so. Bored he's a, yeah he's more To sharknado Or Towering intferno something like.
Speaker 1: That i'm, like he would rather Watch jaws two for.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely do you.
Speaker 2: Want to hear about the other nineteen eighty?
Speaker 1: Movies?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Please, OKAY i tried to pick some that we haven't talked about, before So American.
Speaker 2: JIGALOW i tried watching. That yeah, Recently, uh not. Good it's it's kind of it's, sorry it's. Cold, yes it's supposed to be sexy and it's. Not it's Very.
Speaker 1: Yeah AND i WHEN i saw, it BECAUSE i watched it for the first, time like a couple of years, AGO i was trying to figure. Out i'm, like is it supposed to be? Cold And i'm, all if it, is then it's. Working i'm, all or is this supposed to be? Sexy and because if it, is then it's not. Working BUT i, Mean Richard gear looks really good in, it and he he's doing a good. Job BUT i didn't the. Movie it's not for.
Speaker 2: Me it's not for.
Speaker 1: ME a hero at, large who isn't That John. Ritter he plays like an actor who gets a job dressing up as a superhero for like to promote like a, movie like A superman, movie and then he starts solving crimes in the.
Speaker 2: COSTUME i have do not know this.
Speaker 1: Movie IT'S i remember seeing. It this is another ONE i saw WHEN i was like a, kid AND i remember really liking it BECAUSE i really Loved John.
Speaker 2: Ritter i'm on board With John. Ritter, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 1: ALL i remember thinking the movie was kind of, sweet THAT i haven't seen it in a long. Time, uh this MOVIE i don't think is very Sweet? Foxes is that the one With Jodie.
Speaker 2: Foster. Yes, yeah there's a whole thing of like teen, movies but like slutty teen. Movies, Yes and some of them were like, horror and some of them were comedy and some of them were and this was more like la yeah, chicks, yeah like rock, chicks like, yeah.
Speaker 1: YEAH i wonder IF i would like it. NOW i remember trying, again trying to watch, it probably WHEN i was too young to watch.
Speaker 2: It, yeah Now i'm, LIKE i wonder if it.
Speaker 1: Would all of these movies played ON hbo in eighty, right like they came out in Eighty they were playing ON hbo by eighty, One and SO i would watch these movies WHEN i was way too. Young except for a couple of. Them you'll know which ones immediately the CHANGE.
Speaker 2: I Know i've seen.
Speaker 1: It the one With GEORGE. C scott is definitely, creepy. Y'all that one's. Yeppy oh Another Jane, Seymour Oh Heavenly, Dog i've never seen.
Speaker 2: O Heavenly? Dog is That Deadley?
Speaker 1: Moore, no It's Chevy chase And Chevy.
Speaker 2: Chase benji was a. Thing benji movies were a thing in the, seventies late.
Speaker 1: Seventies, yeah if y'all don't, Know benji was a, dog And benji was very cute and made a mut and a mutt and made a series of movies that starred the, dog And Oh Heavenly dog was one of. Them, uh the gods must be? Crazy is that nineteen? Eighty apparently it popped up in nineteen.
Speaker 2: Eighty, WOW i remember that.
Speaker 1: Movie it's A i didn't see that one until like way, later and and THEN i was, like, uh that'd be fine at the.
Speaker 2: Time, yeah my brothers really liked. It they thought it was. Funny and then this.
Speaker 1: ONE i still haven't Seen Heaven's.
Speaker 2: GATE i try to Watch Heaven's gate every once in a. While people try to convince me, like, no this is. Brilliant it was just not you, know it was. Marketing that's screwing up. Personally i'm, like now it's really fucking. Boring i'm, like fifteen minutes, in then you've lost.
Speaker 1: ME i always mix this movie up With Heaven Can, wait very different.
Speaker 2: Movie, yeah that's a good. Movie heaven kN. WAIT i don't know if that holds. Up BUT i remember really enjoying that.
Speaker 1: One, yeah and Then Flash gordon.
Speaker 2: Blush, AH i just know The queen.
Speaker 1: Song Flash gordon is very, Entertaining like it's a very silly, movie but it's very. Entertaining POPEYE a little believe That.
Speaker 2: Popeye it has its. Fans it definitely has its.
Speaker 1: FANS i wonder, AGAIN i watched it WHEN i was too young and didn't like it BECAUSE i was used to Pop by the, cartoon.
Speaker 2: And also we were used To Robin williams being, funny AND i don't think HE'S i think it's Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's got fans. Though and then, finally any which way you, CAN i.
Speaker 2: Do like Those Clytt eastwood movies with the. ORANGUTANG i, Mean i'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Y'all the monkey flips you. Off it's, hysterical.
Speaker 2: It's kind of. FUNNY i don't, know for the TIME i thought it was. Funny is that? It, yeah that's. It, okay we have a really good list for the top. Ten when this came, out it Was october or something in nineteen Eighty, okay, okay number, Ten Olivia, Newton John, Zana Do Love Love love, Love, Love Love. Okay number Nine Johnny lee looking For, Love looking For? Love do you Remember Eddie murphy Being buckwheat singing that will Give number Eight Kenny Loggins i'm.
Speaker 1: All, Right oh yeah song, Yep Caddy.
Speaker 2: Shack Caddie. Shack number Seven barber Streisand woman In. Love Oh, yes you did that album With Barry. Gibb really. Good number Six Paul. Simon this is one of my Favorite Paul simon. Songs late in the. EVENING i love that song so, Good verry. Catchy number Five Eddie rabbit driving my life.
Speaker 1: Away REMEMBER i just heard An Eddie rabbit song the other day and it WAS I Love, YES I Love Rainy, NIGHT I Love newton.
Speaker 2: Had like a great, year and then we never heard from them, again Never number four another Song George, benson Give me The, Night Give me The night, yep. Yep number Three Diana ross upside.
Speaker 1: Down fucking dope.
Speaker 2: Song fucking dope ass.
Speaker 1: Song that's a roller boogie jam right.
Speaker 2: There. Wow number. Two this was A it'll make out, song air supply all out of.
Speaker 1: LOVE i was too young to be making, out but yeo years.
Speaker 2: Later, Yeah and number One queen another one bites the.
Speaker 1: DUST i loved that, song loved.
Speaker 2: IT i still love that. Song my parents.
Speaker 1: Had queen eight track? Tapes did they? Really, Yes believe it or. Not my parents were Into, queen like that was a. THING i don't know, why because my dad is primarily a. Countryman, like, yeah like You're Kenny, Rogers You're Juice newton's if you will.
Speaker 2: It You'ready, rabbits You're Oakridge, boys right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oakridge boys Definitely, Alabama, yeah for.
Speaker 2: Sure The Gatlin, brothers, yeah all of that. Stuff, yeah The mandrell. Sisters. YEAH i worked on A Larry gatlin's. Book he had a on a. Biography you know Who Larry gatlin. Was he was the singer for The Gatlin. Brothers if you don't who they, were look them. Up it was like they were this country band of like three or four. Brothers, wait, guys country, yeah. Eighties he was such a. Sweetheart, oh politically we were, different but like we. Were BUT i spent the whole day with him In New york take in for, interviews and he was just such a goddamn.
Speaker 1: Delight OH i love hearing.
Speaker 2: That yeah that's a good. List, yeah isn't that an awesome? List i'm, Like, god, damn radio was? Good, Then, no.
Speaker 1: What else are you jerking out?
Speaker 2: About my?
Speaker 1: Friend?
Speaker 2: WELL i wanted to do you know because of? This you, KNOW i do love. ME i don't know if we talked about it, before BUT i love a time travel. THEME i do think about time. Travel i'm one of those people that like will actively think, About oh my, god what if this were like nineteen seventy? Nine, yeah what WOULD i?
Speaker 1: Do have you tried self? Hypnosis i'm going.
Speaker 2: To now apparently it's not that. Hard i'll make a YouTube. Channel you got. It It's june, twelfth nineteen seventy. Nine, god, no, okay, Anyway SO I i went back TO I Love Stephen, king AND i went back to watch it's a mini series or it's a limited, series and it's called eleven twenty two sixty. Three it's about and it's, okay it Has James James.
Speaker 1: Franco.
Speaker 2: Franco, okay he's, PROBLEMATIC i don't but and he is the lead in the show when he's in every. Episode so if you get under if you got under The franco of it, all he's a decent, actor SO i can forget about. Him but it's about this guy in today times or this was like from ten years. Ago but he he has a friend that an older friend that in there in his diner In. Maine he figured out a time travel and he can go back in time and he wants to go back to stop the assassination OF. Jfk and so they travel From maine To dallas and he he goes back and every time he goes, back he can be gone for like a, year like it technically a, year but he comes back it's only been a few, minutes, right but it wears the shit out of. Him so like by the time he's done this a few, times like try to get, information, yeah and so he's almost. Dying so Then franco is much, younger so he's like going to give him the job to do. It so then he's done like all this lead research and So franco's now going to take. Over and it's really. Good IT'S i have to, say like the actors are. Great there's a lot of. Action he. Had there's a really sweet romance that he. Has he apparently like was hitting on one of the sixteen year olds in the cast, too so like that's he's a. Creep he's a.
Speaker 1: Creep you gotta Get you've talked about him on our other buddet on our other.
Speaker 2: Podcast what a. Creep so but if you can ignore, him it's on to Be it's so it's streaming for free if you're looking for something like it's it's got some great guest stars in, there and it's it's, uh it's really well, acted and it's, uh you, know for, me like a history and AND i do like time, travel SO i started getting into. That The Gilded AGE i think is having a great. SEASON i think it's every episode so. Far we only had three, episodes BUT i like. IT i think it's really. Exciting i'm pissed At bertha trying to sell off her. Daughter it gives me the creeps and it stresses me. OUT i, MEAN i, know and basically she's Following Consuela, vanderbilt, right so there she's gonna she's gonna marry this guy and be In england and then be. Miserable BUT i don't. KNOW i STILL i, MEAN i love the fact that they have An African american community that they're talking. ABOUT i thought that was. Interesting they Have John Singer sergeant doing her. Portrait i'm a fan of. HIS i see his, working you, KNOW i always check it out at the WHEN i go to the. MET i Think Christine baranski's. Great Cynthia, NIXON i love her, character but this whole thing about temperance has got to go that the plotline is, annoying super. Annoying it's you, know she's starting up a temperance league and she wants everybody in the house to sign a pledge that they're not going to. Drink and it's, like you're talking about people who are making. Nothing, yeah get out to.
Speaker 1: You let them do whatever they want in their right. Time you don't own, them, Right.
Speaker 2: But she's like, home nobody's doing. It it's like a. Shutout it's stupid and everyone hates. It, yeah, exactly and it's gonna be a right so but but, still, LIKE i find it very engaging.
Speaker 1: And it's so so watchable and, again, like the clothes are. Beautiful i'm obsessed with, it AND i like how it mixes like real history with the, fiction, like, yeah super. Entertaining ANOTHER hbo, Show duster was doing stuff like that too a different. Time, obviously it was set in the. Seventies BUT i like. It when it does stuff like, THAT i think it's. Interesting, YEAH i love.
Speaker 2: It and just like that had their seventh episode and their most annoying episode or their, best depending on how you look at. It it was a how do you feel about? Karaoke? Sonya are you into? Karaoke you're a people, bleaser, RIGHT.
Speaker 1: I have never done, karaoke and oh so Apparently i've been when other people are, singing But i've personally never done. It BUT i know that like the younger, generation they all karaoke all the time and have like their go to songs and all this, stuff so IT'S i know it's something people.
Speaker 2: Love Well, Carrie carrie has a party at her twenty five million dollar house with no furniture because It's. Carrie so she has this party For charlotte at her house and Then miranda shows up with a karaoke machine and they have These broadway actors in the, show so they, sing which is, FUN i. Mean but at the end of the, show there's a guy that lives downstairs From carrie and he's a. Writer he's An english. Writer he's writing a book About Margaret thatcher and he does these doorstop books about historical things, right and it takes like a year or two years to write. Them miranda is like his biggest, fan. Right and Then harry is writing historical fiction and it's about a. Woman it's just called The. Woman she never gives her a woman a, name and she's constantly the voiceover is just her narrating this book that she's, writing and it's. Shit it is a, terrible, terrible terrible. Book, like no one's going to want to read this. Book it makes no. Sense it takes place in eighteen forty six for some, reason and it's at her house and basically she switches first chapters with her neighbor and she reads his books be, goes oh my, god your book is so. Thrilling i'm, like that's what's not, thrilling But i'm sure it was great, writing. Okay and then she gives them her book and then he comes to the parties, like oh my, god it started off and the sentence is, like oh, GOD i WISH i could remember the, sentence but it was just, like you, know she she woke up this morning and it's not knowing what she had gone herself. Into and he's like and he, says oh my, god that just sucked me in right. Away it's so. PROPULSIVE i couldn't put it. Down and it's, like WHAT i?
Speaker 1: Love how much you hate watched the?
Speaker 2: Show you, Know, LOOK i go on TikTok for an hour two hours after the show was on to watch other people crap on. It it's so, Stupid SO i still watch. It, okay but But, Carrie So carrie's flirting with this, guy but she's still With. Aiden by the, way last week told her that he slept with his ex wife but it was just the one time and it didn't mean. Anything and she was immediately, like, oh, okay AND i said and she, said, okay BUT i didn't think we were exclusive. Anyway he thinks they're on a five year plan but they're, exclusive and she's, like, no, no we're not. Exclusive so then at the end of the, Party miranda's, like, HEY i noticed you with The english, guy like you were. Sipping she was sipping whiskey out of his, glass which is an intimate act if you have, to you, know you do. Anybody and she's saying, like, hey you two look like you were, Vibing And carrie gets so fucking pissed, off and just yet Out i'm in a relationship With, aiden and then she, says how long have you been With? Joy And brand has a new? Girlfriend BECAUSE i like four? Weeks because, yeah four. Weeks aid AND i have been together for about twenty. Years we have a real thing with. History i'm, like, wait is it get? Off you were married for eleven years too big during that. Time you were chasing him for a good ten years before. That, yeah LIKE i mean, exactly it's bitch, please. Bitch it's a bitch please. Moment so it's it's such an infuriating. Show it just does that to.
Speaker 1: You like they should rename the, show oh bitch, Please oh bitch.
Speaker 2: Please that would make more.
Speaker 1: SENSE i might watch it if it was called oh bitch.
Speaker 2: Please and then you should do a podcast and rewatch podcasts and we call, it oh bitch. Please write that down down.
Speaker 1: And then every and then every episode ends with oh bitch.
Speaker 2: Please And i'll end it with first a. RECOMMENDATION i don't know if you've seen. This it's On peacock and it's a true. Crime it's Called Who Killed Robert? Woone NO i have it is the most insane. Thing so there's this house In washington D. C there's a. Guy his name Is Robert. Wone he's like thirty years, old sweet, guy a, lawyer. Married he works for The Asian asian media. Company he went to law. School and it's two thousand and six and he's saying late in his office and his home is like an hour, away and he's like super tired because he's working like a ten hour shift or. Something and he, Says, HEY i Think i'm going to crash with my friends tonight and Then i'll come back tomorrow if that's, okay and she's, like, yeah, yeah just you, know email me when you get, there you. Know so he has a BlackBerry because it's two thousand and. Six he Still so he goes to this house and it's three dude and it's three gay men and they're a thropple and he's there and they basically, said, yeah he came. Over we showed him the guest. Room he, said, Okay i'm gonna take a shower and Then i'm gonna get some sleep and you, know we'll talk in the morning. Whatever he was like really exhausted and they're like. Okay so it's like ten o'clock at, night exactly ninety seven minutes, later one of the guys calls nine one. One their friend was stabbed and they claimed that's an. Intruder broke into the, house went up to the second floor and stabbed their friend in his, bed didn't take anything and then just. Left what and there's no blood? Anywhere ye whitch please please? Exactly he has three stab wounds and there's no blood. Anywhere oh my, god his body was like washed. Down, Basically so the cops and the are terribly homophobic and and all, that but also these guys are really not telling the, truth like there's something and it turns out they have all these sex toys everywhere and they found and this is really, gross but in his butt parts they found liquids and it turns out they were his. Own and they're, like, well how did that? Happen, yeah it's that kind of. Thing it'll infuriate you because they they GET i think these like one of these guys did it and they have not been convicted of. It the police put them to trial for obstruction of justice because they are obstructing justice, here. Right but it's a two it's like two part. Episodes there's like one hour each and it is. Bananas i'm not even telling you all the banana, Stuff like you're gonna watch this and, like how the fuck is this? Real i'm gonna watch it for, sure but you're gonna be very mad on behalf of his, wife who's just like it's it's just. Crazy so it's. Yeah and then my second THING i watched On peacock was a movie Called drop With what'd You? THINK i thought it was incredibly stupid AND i thoroughly enjoyed. It, yes there's a second, one, ye AND i will watch, it AND i hope those two. PEOPLE i hope the two leads are in.
Speaker 1: IT i saw it in the theater with my Friend. Fred he didn't know anything about, It LIKE i had seen a preview for it and he. Hadn't he was all, in like he was. Thrilled HE i loved it BECAUSE i thought it was super, fun AND i was, ALL i think it's really.
Speaker 2: Fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah and the whole premise is like she goes on a date and somebody's like air dropping her messages and they're like you need to kill your date or we're going to kill your sister's. Son, yeah and she's, like oh, no and you, know trying to figure it, out And i'm like in my, Mind i'm like, sorry.
Speaker 2: Date, like, yeah, SORRY i don't even know. You there won't be a second. Date my. FRIEND i it's, ridiculous AND i, think like it's it's needlessly violent towards the, end like people that get hurt that shouldn't get. Hurt but it's not. Real it's like it's so over the top and. Stilly she like flies out of the window at one. Point it's, ridiculous it's so. Entertaining BUT i loved. IT i thought it was super. ENTERTAINING i wouldn't have probably wanted to pay money to see it on a movie. THEATER i mean it's, streaming you, know On. Peacock but BUT i put it on last, night like for A friday night. Movie it's. Great it was really.
Speaker 1: Fun, YEAH i recommend that one. Too peacock is killing.
Speaker 2: It it really is killing. It i'm Checking peacock. Now USUALLY i just put In netflix, first BUT i usually settle On. Peacock it's got something for.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah, well your girl's been Watching Love ISLAND usa every day and that is On. Peacock SO i spend a lot of time On peacock.
Speaker 2: All the below decks are On peacock And limes and.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a Great do you have any other? Wreck, no that's, It, okay That's i've also been On peacock watching, WELL i, Said Love ISLAND. Usa the finale is On, sunday so you, know bear with, me y all WHILE i get through this shows so fucking, stupid BUT i.
Speaker 2: Love it so.
Speaker 1: Much But i'm not going to talk about. That i'm gonna talk about something ELSE i watched On. Peacock and then there's a very similar documentary that's On Amazon prime and it's Called The Ohio Student.
Speaker 2: Murders have you heard of this? One?
Speaker 1: No, okay it's the brand new, series a brand new true crime documentary. Series it's or On. Peacock it's a, movie so it's like ninety minutes or. Whatever and then there is one On prime and it's Called One night In idaho The College, Murders and that's a true crime documentary series and it's like three or four parts and they're each like forty five, minutes and it's about the murder of these four college students In, Moscow, ohio sor, Right, idaho and it's and you, Know i'm not spoiling things because it's a true, crime but it's about like how they track down the man who did. It but also it's about the, victims the. People there were two other people in that. HOUSE i know THAT i can't imagine that we're living, There like how it affects a small town that's like a small college. Town and also it's about especially the one ON i like the one On Amazon prime. BETTER i feel like they have better access to to friends and family and the, police AND i think they do a really and, reporters AND i think they do a good job of telling the whole. Story because it's also about how like, TikTok internet sleuths can go too, far y'all are going too. Far you're like they're interfering on in like crime. Scenes they're harassing peace, people they're doxing people that they think are guilty that aren't. Guilty they have harassed those poor. Roommates, yeah like you're fucking. Guilty you're responsible for, This like it is out of fucking, control these, People and but it's it's really well. Done the man that has been he, recently like literally just last, week put in a guilty plea to avoid the death. Penalty, yeah they think that he was a graduate student in, criminology so some of it is they think he was just trying to see if he could get away with a. Murder and there's also some like in cell behavior.
Speaker 2: Here oh, yeah, yeah just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Sad, yeah if you're going to watch, ONE i think the One night In idaho The College murders On Amazon prime is the one to. Watch but if you're, like Fuck, PRIME i don't want to give them my, time then watch the one On. Peacock BUT i think the one On prime is. Better it's really fucking. Sad these were they were young people that you, know they were twenty, one twenty two years, old and they were just it appeared they really appear to be picked at, random which is really fucking. Scary like maybe they weren't picked at. Random maybe they'll find some sort of, connection but if there, is they haven't found it yet and that's, terrifying, absolutely like what a fucking. Nightmare so, again that one's On. Prime On, HULU i started Watching jaws at, fifty which is the and it's Called jaws at Fifty The Definitive Inside. Story it's On hulu and they Interview spielberg and the. Actors they're playing old. Footage they're talking about the author who wrote the, Book Peter, Benchley is that? Right and they're talking about the movie the impact it had because it is like one of the first like major blockbusters that like turned summer into like kind of what it is now where they release these really big. MOVIES i think it's really interesting and really well. Done i'm just kind of obsessed With jaws right now, because like, EVERYBODY i guess because of the fiftieth. Anniversary so definitely check that. Out and THEN i Saw, superman the New superman movie that's playing in. Theaters let me tell, you if you're, like, OH i heard The superman's, woke grow the fuck. Up but it's like the stupidest fucking Thing i've ever. Heard he has some, Compassion fuck that.
Speaker 2: Guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah the idea that they're Like superman is super fucking. Woke first of, all have you fucking ever? Nothing we know nothing about Sup the whole, idea the whole premise of the movie is basically That superman has like kindness and cares about. Humanity and if that that's like against your political, beliefs then there's no fucking hope for, you like, whatever go watch fucking reruns Of Duck. Dynasty who cares, right? RIGHT i didn't love the movie as much as everyone. ELSE i think there's a really there's a really good story in here that they're telling. ABOUT i, Mean superman is an immigrant and they're you, know and you.
Speaker 2: Could be, like he's. Not he.
Speaker 1: Is he's literally an. Alien he's an, immigrant, right you, Know and they're telling that kind of, story and he's trying to do right and protect the, world not Just, america the. World AND i think the actor who's playing him As david Corn, sweat WHO i only knew is the projectionist In. Pearl did you See?
Speaker 2: PEARL i, SEE i remember.
Speaker 1: It, yeah he's he's very. Handsome he does a great job of Playing superman. Like he's probably the closest we've got to like A Christopher Reeve superman. Like he plays him very sweet and very, hopeful and he's very. Kind Rachel bronna's hand From Marvelous mismaisle Plays Lois. Lane she does a great job, Too LIKE i, Like Lois lane is really, smart she isn't a damsel in distress by any, means and then we Get Nicholas halt Is Lex, luthor and he's definitely playing him like a like An Elon Musk Jeff bezos, type you. Know and he's really good. Too he's clearly just a fucking coward who wants to control, everything and all of that stuff is really good and really, interesting but there's also all this like really and ALSO i should mention there is a super dog in it Named, crypto And crypto's. Adorable everybody drink the dog is. Adorable one want to shit talk the?
Speaker 2: Dog you come talk to?
Speaker 1: Me how dare? You but the dog is really really. Cute but there's also all this like really silly. Stuff the movie feels. Overstuffed there's like all this other like really really silly stuff with Like Nathan phillin phillyon from Like Castle, plane like one of The Green. Lanterns there's like another superhero.
Speaker 2: Called Hot, girl like all this. Stuff it just feels like there's too much going. On it's very.
Speaker 1: Busy there's a lot of action sequences where it just looks like a video game Where superman's just like throwing things. Around it's like there's like good stuff in, there but there's like it's so busy and it's it reminds me of The Suicide, squad the one that not the First Suicide squad but the second one that came out With Margo robbie and who was Was Idris elbow was in and it just feels like really busy and, stupid AND i don't like that. STUFF i like the character. Stuff And James gunn also did The guardians of The galaxy, movies WHICH i. Love they're my, favorites AND i thought those do such a good job of balancing like character and the comic book and the, humor but it's also really serious about like their chosen family and like can like tug on your. Heartstrings this one just didn't do it for. Me but the reviews have been really really positive and people seem really, Happy So i'm happy that they are. Happy, like if this is Your, superman go for, It LIKE i love that for. You i'll go watch nineteen seventy Eight superman And i'll be. Happy what else you already, mentioned The Gilded? AGE i think that's. Plenty that's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Rex, yeah that's a lot of. Res. Yeah So.
Speaker 1: I'm sure people will super Love. Superman And i'm just the weirdo, here but if you like the sound of her, voices and why wouldn't. You we also co host a podcast Called what A CREEP i almost said jerking Out what A, creep where we talk about creeps of the past and the. Present we have a new episode out right, Now, margo you want to tell them with.
Speaker 2: That it's a true crime episode from The Bay, Area rinda, specifically it was in the eighties and it was the basis for The tory spelling a friend And Kelly. Martin it was A friend To die for THE tv Movie It's it's A Cheerleader murder and, yeah and that was our, episode our last.
Speaker 1: Episode, Yeah margo did a fabulous job and we always end the episode with someone who's not a, creep so you'll feel a little positive at the. End definitely check that. Out and if you want to listen to this podcast without, ADS i put an ad free version On, Patreon so go to patreon dot com Slash Dorking Out show and you could chip in a couple bucks and get an ad free. Version you can also find Dorkin out at dorkinoutshow dot com And dorkinoutshow On facebook And instagram and Blue. Sky where can people find, you my?
Speaker 2: Friend you can find me At brooklynfitchick dot. Com i'm At brooklynfitchick For threads And, instagram And i'm A Brooklyn margo for TikTok And Blue.
Speaker 1: Sky follow her on all the, things. Y'all her new, Book, Fever The Complete story Of saturday At, fever comes out next. Month it's. Happening it's, happening and y'all are gonna want to see all the cool clips she, shares and so definitely follow her on the. Things and you can follow me at The Sonia show dot com and The Sonia show On Blue sky and threads And instagram and the TikTok WHERE i usually share clips of What i'm watching and me making shitty. Comments thanks for talking about somewhere in time with, me my.
Speaker 2: Friend, oh No bertie already.
Speaker 1: Died, Breakon, honny you evil villain