Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: When you close your eyes and picture space exploration, what is the very first image that pops into your head?
Speaker 3: Oh, it is definitely something blindingly bright, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, if you are like most of us, it is always this extreme illumination. You see those gleaming white space suits mm hmm, like the Apollo astronauts bouncing around in the harsh, unfiltered glare of the sun.
Speaker 3: Or you picture the gold foil of a lunar lander, just you know, catching that intense solar radiation against the black sky.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Our entire visual vocabulary for exploring the cosmos is defined by extreme almost violent light. I mean light is power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, light is visibility.
Speaker 2: It's how we survive in an environment that is constantly trying to kill us.
Speaker 3: It makes complete sense from a biological standpoint and honestly from an engineering one too. We rely on the sun to charge the batteries on our solar panels. Oh yeah, we need bright thruster plumes to visibly confirm trajectory corrections in the void. And frankly, we just need the heat of that light to keep our instruments from freezing solid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Our instinct is a human species is basically to follow the light. We seek it out and we build our entire exploratory architecture around it.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: But then you travel to the very bottom of the Moon. If you look at the lunar South Pole and you hike to the edge of one of these massive ancient impact craters, places like Shackleton craters.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, those are fascinating.
Speaker 2: You look down over the rim and suddenly that light is gone completely.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 2: We are talking about regions of the Moon that have literally not seen a single stray photon of direct sunlight for billions of years.
Speaker 3: It's incredible to think about.
Speaker 2: It's not just dark in the way a room gets dark when you turn off a lamp. It is a permanent, freezing, absolute shadow.
Speaker 3: It is the ultimate void. If you were to drop down into one of those crators. You are entering an environment that is incredibly hostile to the kind of exploratory hardware.
Speaker 2: We usually build because of the cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the temperatures plunge to levels that shatter conventional metals. There is no solar power to be harvested down there. It is, by almost every traditional metric we use in aerospace engineering, a totally dead zone.
Speaker 2: And yet here is the wild twist at the heart of our conversation today, that horrifying pitch black nothingness. Yeah, it turns out to be the absolute perfect environment, arguably the most valuable real estate in the entire Solar system for humanity's most precise, cutting edge technology.
Speaker 3: It really is a massive paradigm shift.
Speaker 2: We are literally planning to plunge into the darkest, coldest abyss imaginable just to build a machine of perfect.
Speaker 3: Light, which is such a profound inversion of how we normally operate in space.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: And this isn't just some speculative science fiction concept either. What we are exploring today is a highly practical, rigorously detailed blueprint for the actual future of lunar exploration. Physicists have realized that the very things that make these craters seem so terrifying and inhospitable, you know, the absolute cold, the profound emptiness. Right, those are exactly the conditions required to stabilize a piece of quantum technology called an ultrastable laser. An ultrastable laser exactly, And by placing this specific instrument in this specific dark place, we fundamentally change how we navigate through space, how we measure time, and even how we listen to the universe itself.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am so ready to get into this. Yeah, But if I am sitting here listening to this and picturing a perfectly dark, perfectly cold crater, the very first thing I think of is a vacuum of space. Sure, and we know space is already a vacuum, so I had to push back right out of the gate, so for it. If the entirety of outer space is already this giant empty vacuum, why are physicists so obsessed with the extra stillness of these specific lunar craters. What makes the vacuum inside a dark hole on the Moon any better than the vacuum floating halfway between Earth and Mars.
Speaker 3: Well, we have to define what stillness actually means. When we step into the realm of high precision physics, because when we casually throw on the word vacuum, we usually just mean an environment with no.
Speaker 2: Air, right, like an empty void.
Speaker 3: But the physical world, especially at a microscopic level, is incredibly chaotic everywhere, even in the so called vacuum of deep space. Space is not perfectly empty, and it is certainly not perfectly cold.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: No, When a satellite is orbiting the Earth or drifting between planets, it is constantly being bombarded.
Speaker 2: Bombarded by what like micro meteorites.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, yeah, but I'm talking about things much smaller and much more pervasive. Solar radiation, the solar wind, which is basically a stream of charged particles spewed out by the sun cosmic rays, and most importantly, fluctuating thermal energy. A satellite in space heats up dramatically when it's facing the Sun, and then it cools down rapidly when it passes into a planetary shadow.
Speaker 2: The temperature swings are wild.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and the materials on that satellite, the aluminum, the titanium, the circuitry, they all expand and contract with those temperature swings. This creates microvibrations throughout the entire physical structure.
Speaker 2: So even though there's no physical wind blowing against the satellite, the fluctuating key to the Sun is basically beating it up. On a microscopic level. It's jittering.
Speaker 3: That is a very good way to visualize it. Heat is ultimately just atomic motion. It's kinetic energy. If something is warm, its constituent atoms are vibrating violently. And if you are trying to build an instrument that relies on absolute perfect precision measuring things down to the width of an atom, even a fraction of a degree of heat creates a violent, jittery disruption. Now look at the Moon. Generally, the Moon is fantastic for certain types of science because it doesn't have the seismic activity of.
Speaker 2: Earth because there are no tectonic plates.
Speaker 3: Exactly, no tectonic plates crashing together. There are no oceans pounding against coastlines, no semi trucks driving down the highway to create ground noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Earth is super noisy.
Speaker 3: It is. The Moon also lacks an atmosphere, so there are no wind or sound waves, which are massive disruptors of precision instruments. But the sunlit lunar surface still experiences brutal temperature swings.
Speaker 2: Right, It goes from something like two hundred and fifty degrees fahrenheit in the direct sunlight down to negative two hundred degrees in the lunari yet does a massive thermal shock every two.
Speaker 3: Weeks precisely that thermal cycling would completely destroy the alignment of an ultra stable laser. But step down into those permanently shadowed craters at the South.
Speaker 2: Pole where the sun never shines right.
Speaker 3: Because the sun never crests the rim to hit the crater floor, the ambient temperature there rests steadily around fifty degrees above absolute zero. That is fifty kelvin.
Speaker 2: Wow, And for context, absolute zero zero kelvin is the theoretical limit where all atomic motion essentially stops entirely right.
Speaker 3: Yes, so at fifty kelvin, the random microscopic jitter of physical materials is drastically reduced. You are entering a realm of thermodynamic stillness that is incredibly difficult and very expensive to achieve artificially on Earth.
Speaker 2: I can imagine.
Speaker 3: Furthermore, the vacuum inside these specific craters is actually of a higher quality than the general lunar surface.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, how can a vacuum be of a higher quality. It's on the same moon, doesn't the whole Moon share the exact same lack of atmosphere.
Speaker 3: It does, but the general lunar surface actually suffers from a very faint exosphere.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah.
Speaker 3: Solar radiation hits the lunar dirt and causes a tiny bit of outgassing. It releases trace amounts of helium, ar gone and other particles. Plus the solar wind is constantly impacting the day side, so it's a.
Speaker 2: Bit dusty and gassy on a microscope level exactly.
Speaker 3: But inside the deep, permanently shadowed craters, the walls physically block the solar wind, and because it is so profoundly cold, any stray gas molecule that happens to wander into the crater instantly freezes solid and sticks to the crater floor. Oh wow, it's called a cold trap. So the environment inside the crater acts like a natural ultra high vacuum pumpy, just continuously scrubbing its own space empty. It effectively eliminates any stray acoustic vibrations and drastically reduces the rogue particles that could bump into delicate instruments.
Speaker 2: It's almost a paradox. As humans, we usually look for warm sennni spots to set up camp because that's what keeps our machines running in our bodies from freezing. Right. But here the dead zones, the places where absolutely nothing happens, where there is no ambient energy, no light, no heat, those are the most crucial places to be for this specific science. The really are It makes me think about how the upcoming Artemis missions are already targeting these exact South Pole regions because they contain water ice frozen in the shadows. We are heading to the darkest places for survival resources, and the physics community is basically saying, hey, while you're down there in the dark mining ice, it just so happens to be the perfect spot for our ultimate precision laser.
Speaker 3: It is the ultimate cosmic coincidence. The conditions required for long term human survival, finding ancient ice trapped in these cold traps to turn into drinking water and rocket fuel, Those are precisely the same conditions required to push the boundaries of quantum measurements. The stillness is the currency here in physics. If you want to measure a signal with unimaginable precision, you have to first silence all the background noise, right, and there is literally nowhere quiet or nowhere more still than a fifty kelvin shadow that hasn't seen the sun since the solar system was young.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have established this beautifully dead, quiet, freezing environment. Let's talk about the actual machine that desperately needs to live down there. Yeah, the heart of this entire concept is something called an optical silicon cavity. Yes, and I want to make sure we really visualize this for everyone listening, because the name sounds a bit like, I don't know, an abstract math problem. But it is a very tangible physical object. It is. It is essentially a block of crystalline silicon, and on each end of this block there is a mirror. That's the basic anatomy.
Speaker 3: That is the core physical architecture. Just imagine a highly refined, beautifully engineered spacer block made of single crystal silicon. It's usually quite small, maybe a couple of dozen centimeters.
Speaker 2: Long, so pretty compac very.
Speaker 3: Compact, and bonded to each end of the silicon spacer is a highly reflective mirror. But these aren't the kind of mirrors you have in your bathroom, I would hope not. Right. There are sophisticated, multi layered dielectric coatings designed to reflect light with a perfection that borders on the absolute, and.
Speaker 2: The entire purpose of this silicon block is to bounce light. You introduce light into the cavity through one of the mirrors, and it bounces back and forth endlessly between these two perfectly facing mirrored surfaces exactly. But it's not just any light, and it doesn't just bounce randomly. The distance between those two mirrors dictates exactly which frequencies, basically, which colors of light are allowed to exist inside that space.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: If the distance between those mirrors changes by even the width of a single atom, the entire system fails. Let's talk about why the physical distance is so strictly tied to the color of the light.
Speaker 3: Well, it comes down to the fundamental wave nature of light and a principle known as resonance. When you shine a beam of light into this cavity, the photons bounce back and forth between the two mirrors. Because light travels as a wave, it has peaks and troughs. Okay, Now imagine those waves overlapping as they travel back and forth. If the physical distance between the mirrors is an exact, perfect multiple of the light's wavelength, the overlapping waves will perfectly align.
Speaker 2: So they sort of stack on top of each other exactly.
Speaker 3: Every time a wave bounceounces back, its peak aligns exactly with the peak of the next wave coming in. Its trough aligns perfectly with the trough. They reinforce each other. The amplitude builds up, creating a powerful, highly stable, standing wave of light trapped inside the block.
Speaker 2: Now I want to make sure I'm grasping the alternative here. What happens if the distance is slightly off. Let's say the mirror moves away by a tiny, tiny fraction of a millimeter.
Speaker 3: If the distance shifts even slightly, the geometry is broken. The wave bounces back, but now it has traveled a slightly different distance. When it overlaps with the next incoming wave, they are out of sync. A peak of one wave will align with the trough of another wave. When a peak and a trough meet, they cancel each other out.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see.
Speaker 3: This is called destructive interference. The energy doesn't disappear from the universe, of course, but the light wave itself cannot sustain its structure inside that specific physical boundary, it scatters or is transmitted out and the standing wave collapses.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I have an analogy for this, but correct me if I stray too far. Think about a perfectly tuned acoustic instrument. Let's use a guitar. Okay, Sure, when you pluck a guitar string, the string is anchored at two incredibly fixed points, the nut at the top of the neck and the bridge down on the body. That physical distance between those two anchor points is completely non negotiable. Because of that exact fixed distance, When you pluck the string, only one specific pure note let's say an A can sustain itself and ring out loudly. All the other chaotic vibrations, all the scraping noise of your finger hitting the string, quickly die out because those random frequencies just don't fit the physical geometry of the string. The physical distance ensures the purity of the note that is.
Speaker 3: On the right track, absolutely, but we have to take it a step further to truly capture what the optical cavity is doing. A guitar string is one dimensional and it's vibrating matter. Our cavity is three dimensional, and we are dealing with an electromagnetic field photons instead of physical strength exactly, But the underlying principle of boundary conditions is identical. The distance between the guitar's bridge and the nut is the exact equivalent of the distance between our two mirrors. The silicon block acts as the neck of the guitar, holding the mirrors perfectly rigidly apart.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm checking.
Speaker 3: The optical cavity acts as the ultimate unforgiving gatekeeper. It dictates the physics of the space. It essentially says, only light of this exact specific frequency, this exact wavelength is allowed to resonate and build power here. Any other frequency will destroy itself through interference.
Speaker 2: So if we want to keep our optical guitar perfectly in tune, the neck of the guitar, the silicon block can never ever bend, warp, expand, or shrink. Never if the distance between the mirrors changes by even a fraction of an atomic diameter, are perfectly cure color of light shifts, the standing wave collapses. It basically goes out of tune.
Speaker 3: And that introduces the terror of thermodynamics that we were discussing earlier.
Speaker 2: Oh right, because if he yes.
Speaker 3: In the physical universe, almost everything expands when it gets warm and contracts when it gets cold, even a highly engineered block of single crystal silicon. If you put this silicon cavity on a table in a normal laboratory room on Earth, just the microscopic fluctuations in the room's ambient air temperature, maybe the air conditioning turns on, or a scientist.
Speaker 2: Walks past, just a person walking past.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, body heat is more than enough. That would cause the silicon block to expand and contract by microscopic amounts. The mirrors would constantly be moving closer together and further apart. The resonant frequency of the light would drift endlessly. The instrument would be completely useless for the kind of extreme precision we are chasing.
Speaker 2: Which brings us directly back to our dark, freezing lunar crater. We know the Shackleton crator is sitting at a very chilly fifty kelvin. That is incredibly cold. It slows down a massive amount of that thermal jitter. It does, But fifty kelvin is actually not cold enough for the absolute perfection we are aiming for here. The physicists need to reach a very specific magic number sixteen.
Speaker 3: Kelvin exactly sixteen kelvin.
Speaker 2: Wait, if the ambient environment of the crater floor itself is fifty kelvin, how does the machine get colder than the dirt it's sitting on. Are we plugging in some giant, power hungry cosmic refrigerator down there, because that seems like it would defeat the whole purpose of going to a dead quiet zone.
Speaker 3: You've hit on one of the most brilliant engineering solutions in this entire architecture. It raises a fascinating point about how we engineer things for the deep space environment compared to how we do it on Earth. Okay, if you were sitting in a lab in Colorado or Germany and you want to cool a silicon block down to exactly sixteen kelvin, you have to build a massive, incredibly complex piece of machinery called a cryostat.
Speaker 2: Right. I've seen pictures of those. They look like giant metal barrels covered in wires and tubes.
Speaker 3: They are absolute beasts. They require huge amounts of electrical power, constant maintenance, and they often rely on circulating liquid helium as a coolant. And here is the brutal irony of the whole setup. What's that the machinery itself, the pumps, the compressors, pushing the liquid helium around creates severe mechanical vibration. Of course, so you cool the silicon down to stop thermal jitter. But in doing so you introduce mechanical shaking from the refrigerator. You then have to build elaborate actively controlled isolation tables just to float the cavity and protect it from the very machine that is cooling it. It is an engineering nightmare of cascading complexities.
Speaker 2: That sounds exhausting it is.
Speaker 3: But on the Moon, inside this permanently shadowed crater, we don't need active machinery. We don't need liquid helium pumps. We can use the geometry of the universe passively.
Speaker 2: So no power cords, no liquid coolants vibrating the table, just.
Speaker 3: Physics, just physics.
Speaker 2: How exactly do we get it from fifty down to sixteen without a.
Speaker 3: Refrigerator by utilizing radiative cooling, specifically through deployable radiation panels. The housing of the optical cavity is equipped with thermal panels that literally unfold once the rover places the instrument on the crater floor. And what these panels do is they look up up. Yes, they point away from the fifty kelvin lunar dirt, and they look directly out into the infinite deep abyss of outer space.
Speaker 2: And space is colder than the greater.
Speaker 3: Vastly colder. Deep space has a background temperature of about two point seven kelvin. That is the cosmic microwave background, the fading residual radiation left over from the Big Bang itself.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Now, the laws of thermo dynamics dictate that heat naturally flows from warmer objects to colder objects through the Steffon Boltzmann law. An object will radiate its thermal energy away as infrared light. Because the panels are looking at a two point seven kelvin sky, the residual heat inside the fifty kelvin silicon block travels up to the panels and is radiated away, lost forever into the infinite heat sink of the universe.
Speaker 2: That is, honestly mind bending. The machine cools itself simply by exposing its heat to the infinite cold of deep space. It's like opening a window in winter to cool down a hot room. But the window opens into the cosmic void.
Speaker 3: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 2: But wait, if it's looking at a two point seven kelvin's guy, why isn't just keep cooling down until it hits two point seven kelvin? Why does it stop at sixteen?
Speaker 3: Well, that is where the careful thermal engineering comes in. The silicon block isn't just floating in space. It is still physically near the fifty kelvin lunar surface. Even with heavy thermal shielding around the bottom and sides of the instrument, A tiny amount of heat from the lunar dirt will slowly conduct or radiate into the device, So.
Speaker 2: It's leaking a tiny bit of heat in from.
Speaker 3: The ground exactly. So the engineers design the surface area of the radiation panels very precisely. The panels dump heat into space at a specific rate, while the shielding allows a microscopic trickle of heat in from the ground. When those two rates perfectly balance each other out, the system reaches thermal equilibrium.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 3: By designing the panels correctly, they can ensure that this equilibrium point lands exactly at sixteen kelvin. It is a natural, free vibration free cryogenic freezer.
Speaker 2: Okay, I understand how we get to sixteen calvin now, but why sixteen kelvin? Specifically, why go through all the trouble of unfolding panels and balancing heat laws. Why not just balance it at twenty kelvin or try to push it down.
Speaker 3: To ten, Because at exactly sixteen kelvin, crystalline silicon exhibits a miraculous, counterintuitive physical property. Its coefficient of thermal expansion crosses zero.
Speaker 2: Let's pause and make sure we totally grasp that. You're saying it's coefficient of thermal expansion basically the rate at which it changes size when the temperature changes becomes zero. Yes, but earlier we said everything shrinks when it gets colder and expands when it gets warmer. Are you saying silicon just stop shrinking at sixteen kelvin? Why would a physical material just decide to stop obeying that rule.
Speaker 3: It doesn't stop obeying the rules. It's just a matter of two different quantum effects perfectly canceling each other out.
Speaker 2: Oh quantum effects.
Speaker 3: Okay, it gets a bit deep into solid state physics, but essentially, the atoms in a silicon crystal are bound together in a lattice as you cool it down. The primary effect is that the atoms vibrate less, so they settle closer together and the material.
Speaker 2: Shrinks right the normal shrinking.
Speaker 3: However, at very low temperatures, you also have to consider the specific shape of the energetic bonds between the atoms and the behavior of phonons. Phonons are quantized tackets of vibrational energy in silicon. Below about one hundred and twenty kelvin, certain low energy phonons actually cause the lattice to pull inward. As you keep dropping the temperature, the dynamics between the standard thermal contraction and these specific phonon interactions shift right At exactly sixteen kelvin, the tendency of the material to expand due to one effect is perfectly exactly matched by its tendency to contract due to the other.
Speaker 2: So it's a thermodynamic tug of war, and at exactly sixteen kelvin, it's a dead tie exactly.
Speaker 3: The atomic lattice of the silicon reaches a perfect equilibrium. What this means in practice is that right at that specific temperature, if the silicon experience is a tiny microscopic fluctuation and heat, let's say a micrometeorite hits a rock a mile away, and a microscopic pulse of infrared energy washes over the crater, warming the silicon by a thousandth of a degree. The silicon neither expands nor contracts. It becomes thermally immune. It freezes perfectly in place.
Speaker 2: That is the magic trick. So at sixteen kelvin, the distance between our two mirrors becomes essentially locked in. Stone is physically incapable of changing, even at the temperature wabbles slightly. Is the perfect unmoving, indestructible guitar neck.
Speaker 3: Yes. And because we are sitting in a crater with no wind to buffet the casing, no seismic shaking from the ground, no sunlight to create massive thermal shocks, and we are passively cool to the exact temperature where the material physically cannot expand or contract, we have finally achieved the geometry of absolute stillness. Wow, the space trap between those mirrors is now experiencing a perfectly stable physical reality. Right.
Speaker 2: This is a huge milestone in our discussion. We have built this incredibly stable box, this sixteen kelvin silicon cavity, sitting in the dark maintaining this perfect distance between two mirrors. But a box with mirrors doesn't do anything on its own, No, it doesn't. It's just an empty cold stage. Now we have to actually introduce the light, and this is where we get to the concept of the laser lock.
Speaker 3: Precisely, the silicon cavity itself isn't generating any light. It is just a filter. We have to bring a laser source with us.
Speaker 2: The plan is to take a commercially available laser, something high end but fundamentally something you can theoretically build on Earth, and place it nearby. Maybe the laser sits right on the rim of the crater where it can catch some sunlight to power its electronics, or maybe it sits down inside the crater next to the cavity, powered by a cable. Either way, this commercial laser fires a beam, and a small amount of that light is directed down a fiber optic cable and inject it into our ultra cold, perfectly still optical cavity. And the cavity does something profound to the laser. It locks it.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: Let's break down what a laser lock actually is.
Speaker 3: To understand the lock, we first have to understand the inherent flaw in standard lasers. If you take a standard commercial laser, even a very expensive one used in a laboratory, and you turn it on to the human eye, it seems like a perfectly steady beam.
Speaker 2: Of light, right. It just looks like a solid beam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But if you measure it with enough precision, you'll see that the frequency, the exact specific color of that light is constantly wandering.
Speaker 2: Why does it wander? Shouldn't a laser just emit one color.
Speaker 3: In a perfect theoretical world. Yes, But a real laser relies on physical components. It has internal diodes that get hot, It has a power supply that might have microfluctuations in current. The internal cavity of the laser itself vibrates slightly.
Speaker 2: So it's a victim to all those physical imperfections we talked about.
Speaker 3: Exactly. All of these physical imperfections cause the frequency of the emitted light to drift over time. It wanders around the target frequency. In physics, we refer to this as a wild or free running laser. It is a relatively broad line with meaning the color is smearing out slightly.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try another analogy here. Let's picture that commercial layer as a wild, incredibly fast horse. It has a ton of energy. It's powerful. But if you put it in an open field until it to run straight at exactly thirty miles per hour, it's gonna fail. It's going to run a little to the left, a little to the right, it'll be up to thirty one. It'll slid out of twenty nine. It's totally unpredictable. Sure, the optical silicon cavity is like a perfectly sized, inescapable, walled in circular track. You take that wild horse and you force it onto the track, and suddenly, because the track never changes size or shape, the horse is forced to run at one exact, unwavering speed in a perfect circle. It has no choice but to conform to the physical constraints of the track.
Speaker 3: I like the imagery, but let's refine it a bit to capture the actual mechanism of the lock. Because the cavity isn't just a passive physical barrier the light bumps into Oh it's not no, it's an active electronic feedback loop. It's more like putting a monitor on the horse that actively shocks it if it speeds up or slows down.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay.
Speaker 3: Here is how the lock often achieve using a method called the Pound driver Hall technique actually functions. The Wild laser sends its light into the sixteen Calvin cavity. Remember, because of its absolute stillness, the cavity only allows one exact, ultra precise frequency to resonate and build up a standing wave. The system has a photodetector, a highly sensitive light sensor measuring the light that bounces off or escrips the cavity. If the Wild laser drifts even a billionth of a percentage point away from that exact resonant frequency, the light will suddenly stop resonating perfectly inside the silicon block.
Speaker 2: It goes out a tune and the way starts to collapse exactly.
Speaker 3: The photo detector instantly sees this drop in resonance. It generates an error signal. That error signal is fed into a PID controller, which is an electronic processor which calculates exactly how far the laser drifted. The control then fires a lightning fast electronic signal back up the cable to the wild commercial laser. It tells the laser's internal components, usually by adjusting the current or physically tweaking a tiny piezo crystal on the laser's own internal mirror. You are drifting too high. Lower your frequency immediately.
Speaker 2: Oh So, the cavity and the laser are constantly talking.
Speaker 3: To each continuously, billions of times a second. It is a relentless aggressive feedback loop. The perfectly still cavity acts as the ultimate unforgiving reference point. It disciplines the commercial laser, instantly correcting its natural tendency.
Speaker 2: To wander LUs wild.
Speaker 3: Through this constant, high speed electronic correction, the laser is forced to emit a single, unwavering color. The frequency of the light becomes a permanent, unmoving constant anchored to the physical perfection of the sixteen kelvin silicon block.
Speaker 2: That is honestly beautiful. Let's just summarize what we've achieved so far. We have taken the absolute chaos and noise of the physical world. We stripped it away by hiding in a dark fifty kelvin lunar crater where the sun never shines and the vacuum is deep. We cooled a block of crystalline silicon to exactly sixteen kelvin, so it freezes its physical dimensions perfectly, making it totally immune to thermal expansion, and then we use that frozen physical distance to electronically discipline a wild laser into giving us a perfect, unchanging beam of light.
Speaker 3: That's the sequence.
Speaker 2: It is an absolute triumph of physics and engineering. But here's the massive pivot.
Speaker 3: Why do we care yes, the so what of the entire endeavor?
Speaker 2: Exactly because I'm assuming space agencies aren't going to spend billions of dollars in risk landing a rover in a pitch black lunar trench just to prove we can make a really steady beam of light. Now that we possess a laser with an unwavering frequency, how does this purely physical achievement transform into the tools we actually need for space exploration, specifically timekeeping and navigation. How does a steady beam of light become a clock?
Speaker 3: Well, this is where we have to explore the profound fundamental between light frequency and time. When we ask what is a clock, we are really asking what is the most reliable repeating physical event we can count?
Speaker 2: Okay, counting events right?
Speaker 3: If you want to measure the passage of time, you need something that ticks. A grandfather clock counts the mechanical swings of a pendulum. One swing equals one second. A quartz watch like the one you might wear on your wrist, counts the physical vibrations of a tiny tuning fork made of quartz crystal when electricity runs through. It makes sense, but pendulums are affected by variations in gravity and air resistance. Quartz crystals expand and contract with the temperature of your wrists.
Speaker 2: They drift just like the wild laser. The ticks aren't perfectly uniform.
Speaker 3: Precisely, if your ticks aren't uniform, your clock loses or gains time. So to make the ultimate clock, you need a pendulum that swings incredibly fast, so you can slice time into infinitesimally small pieces. And it must never ever change its pace.
Speaker 2: And this is where light comes in.
Speaker 3: This is where light comes in. Light isn't a electromagnetic wave. It has peaks and troughs. The frequency of light is simply a measurement of how many of those wave peaks pass a given point in one single second.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm tracking with you now.
Speaker 3: A laser that is locked to our sixteen kelvin optical cavity is emitting a light wave that oscillates at an incredibly high frequency. We are talking on the order of hundreds of terahertz, hundreds of trillions of oscillations per second. That's a lot of ticks, it is, and because the silken cavity is perfectly stable, the frequency of that light never changes. Every single oscillation, every single peak of that wave is an absolutely perfect, unvarying tick. By building electronics that can literally count the peaks of this perfect LightWave as they fly past, we are essentially reading the most precise ticking clock imaginable. An unchanging optical frequency.
Speaker 2: Is a clock. So instead of counting one swing of a brass penilum per second, we're counting roughly four hundred trillion swings of a LightWave per second. Exactly because because those swings never speed up or slow down thanks to the frozen silicon, we know exactly how much time has passed. The laser itself acts as a master time signal, and this setup would essentially form the backbone of the first extraterrestrial optical atomic clock.
Speaker 3: That is the goal. And to understand how big of a deal that is, you have to realize that this lunar optical clock would rival the most precise, meticulously built atomic clocks we currently have sitting in massive climate controlled labratories on Earth. We are essentially taking the absolute peak of human time keeping capability, compressing it into a small package, and permanently installing it on the lunar surface.
Speaker 2: And we desperately need it up there, because if humanity is going to have a permanent or even a semi permanent presence on the Moon with base camps and rovers, time is infrastructure right now. If a spacecraft goes to a moon, how does it know what time it is and how does it navigate? It has to rely on the deep space network, right It relies on time signals and navigation data beamed all the way from Earth, which is.
Speaker 3: A massive bottleneck. Space is vast and the speed of light is finite. Radio signals take time to travel from Earth to the Moon roughly one point three seconds each way. By the time a navigation signal reaches a spacecraft entering a complex lunar orbit, the data is already slightly old, the spacecraft has moved. Furthermore, the deep space network antennas on Earth are overbooked. They are trying to talk to Mars rovers, Jupiter probes and solar orbiters all at once. You cannot run a busy populated lunar outpost if your entire navigation and timing system relies on a delayed ping from a busy antenna on.
Speaker 2: Earth, which brings us to the whole concept of an extraterrestrial GPS. Let's ground this. When you use GPS on Earth to drive your car to a coffee shop, your phone doesn't just magically know where it is. It is communicating with a network of satellites orbiting the Earth, and the way GPF actually works is entirely based on time.
Speaker 3: Completely. Every single GPS satellite has an atomic clock on board the satellite broadcaster radio signal that basically says, I am satellite number four, and exactly when I sent this message, my clock read twelve point zero zero zero zero point zero zero zero. Your phone receives that signal, your phone compares the time the signal was sent to the time your phone received it. Because radio waves travel at the speed of light, which is a known constant, your phone can calculate exactly how far away that satellite is based on how long the signal took to arrive.
Speaker 2: The time of flight, Yes.
Speaker 3: Time of flight and if your phone receives those signals from four different satellites at the same time, it uses geometry trilateration to intersect those distances and pinpoint your exact location on the globe down to a few meters. But here is the catch. You cannot have accurate navigation without absolutely perfect time keeping. Light travels at roughly one foot per nanar second. If the clock on a GPS satellite drifts by even a single microsecond, just one millionth of a second, your phone's calculation will be off by nearly one thousand feet. Your map will tell you that you are driving into a river.
Speaker 2: That would be a problem. Now take that exact problem and put it on the Moon. Imagine you are piloting a spacecraft. You are attempting to land near the lunar South Pole to access that water ice we talked about earlier. You were aiming for a tiny landing zone surrounded by treacherous, jagged mountains, and because the sun angle of the pole is so low, kind of skimming the horizon, half the landscape is completely shrouded in deep, permanent pitch black shadows. It is incredibly difficult to see where you are going. The illumination contrast is just terrible.
Speaker 3: It is arguably the most hazardous lighting environment in the Solar System for a pilot or a landing computer. You cannot just eyeball the landing out the window without a perfect local navigation system. Landing spacecraft in those regions is incredibly dangerous. It's a game of blind luck.
Speaker 2: But if you have this ultra stable laser, this optical clock sitting in the Shackleton Crater below, broadcasting a master time signal to a small constellation of lunar orbiters, yeah, you instantly have a high precision local lunar GPS.
Speaker 3: Precisely The incoming spacecraft can read those time signals, calculate its exact distance from the surface and the surrounding mountains down to the millimeter, and navigate a precise, safe choreography directly into the landing zone, completely independent of Earth. The laser hidden in the dark essentially illuminates the invisible navigational path for the spacecraft in the sky.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. Whoever establishes a reliable, independent timescale on the Moon essentially dictates the infrastructure for all future human exploration in the Solar System, where building the roads, the traffic lights and the maps of the lunar surface, and they are made entirely of perfectly timed light. Every probe, every rover, every astronaut will synchronize their operations to the rhythm of that sixteen kelvin block of silicon.
Speaker 3: It becomes the heartbeat of the lunar economy. But it doesn't stop at logistics and navigation.
Speaker 2: And this is where my mind truly gets blown, because as much as I love the idea of lunar GPS saving spacecraft from crashing into mountains, the physicists proposing this architecture didn't stop there. No, they didn't. They realized that once you have a laser that perfectly stable, a clock that precise, it doesn't just broadcast time for ships. It listens. It becomes a tool to measure the universe itself. The plan suggests that if astronauts install a network of these lasers. Let's say we put multiple optical cavities in different craters across the lunar surface, they could measure the exact physical distances between those craters with extreme precision. Right, and this precision is so ridiculously high it could act as a planetary scale detector. For exotic physics, specifically gravitational waves.
Speaker 3: This is where we cross from complex engineering into fundamental astrophysics. A gravitational wave is one of the most violent massive events in the cosmos, yet its effect on us is incredibly subtle, making it fiendishly difficult to detect. When two super massive black holes collide billions of light years away, the sheer force of that collision doesn't just create an explosion of light or matter. The mass involved is so huge and moving so fast that it literally ripples the fabric of space time itself.
Speaker 2: We always hear that phrase in sci fi and documentaries, the fabric of space time. I want to try and visualize this for everyone. Usually, when we think of a wave, we think of a wave moving through space, like a sound wave moving through the air or water wave moving across the surface of a pond. The air and the water are the mediums that carry the energy.
Speaker 3: That's the classic visualization.
Speaker 2: But a gravitational wave is not a wave moving through space. It is a wave of space.
Speaker 3: That is the crucial mind bending distinction. Space itself is the medium. The distance between objects physically changes not because the objects are moving, but because the space between them is warping.
Speaker 2: Okay, so picture that pond again. If space is the water of the pond, and two black holes crash together, it's like dropping a massive boulder into the pond. A ripple moves outward in all directions at the speed of light. When that ripple, that gravitational wave eventually washes over our solar system, washes over the Earth, or washes over the Moon. What physically happens to the Moon.
Speaker 3: The Moon literally squishes and stretches.
Speaker 2: You mean the solid rock of the moon.
Speaker 3: The solid rock, the dust, the craters, the core. Everything. As the wave passes through the three dimensional volume metric space that the Moon occupies is temporarily distorted. It stretches along one axis and compresses along another, and then oscillates back.
Speaker 2: It's hard to wrap my head around it is.
Speaker 3: If you had two points on the Moon, say two craters separated by exactly one hundred kilometers, As the gravitational wave washes over them, the physical distance between those two craters will increase slightly and then decrease slightly. We are talking about a change in distance that is infinitesimally small. It might be a shift smaller than the width of a single atomic nucleus.
Speaker 2: And normally you would never ever notice that if my car suddenly stretched by the width of an atom and then went back to normal, I wouldn't feel it. A normal telescope couldn't see it, A normal wild laser couldn't measure it exactly because, if I understand correctly, if you try to use a normal laser as a ruler to measure the distance between those craters, the frequency of the wild laser drifts so much that the rule you're using is vibrating more than the distance is actually changing. You've got it.
Speaker 3: The intrinsic noise and thermal drift of a normal laser completely drowns out the incredibly faint signal of a gravitational wave. You are basically trying to hear a pin drop at a rock concert. This is why we build massive billion dollar facilities on Earth like LIGO.
Speaker 2: Oh right, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ligo uses giant four kilometer long vacuum tubes and massive suspended mirrors to try and isolate their lasers from Earth's noise to measure these waves. But Earth is noisy. Trucks drive by the ocean crashes against the shore miles away. There are micro earthquakes. It requires herculean engineering to filter all that out.
Speaker 2: But the Moon is a dead rock, and our lunar laser are perfectly disciplined beam of light tied to that sixteen kelvin silicon block in the dark, it is almost zero noise. Its frequency is.
Speaker 3: Absolute right, So we set up an interferometry experiment on the Moon. You point this ultra stable laser from one crater station to another crater station. You measure the distance using that perfect light. Because the frequency is so incredibly stable, if a gravitational wave passes by and the Moon squishes by a fraction of an atom, the laser beam will detect it.
Speaker 2: How does it actually detect it mechanically.
Speaker 3: Well, the perfectly stable light will suddenly take a tiny fraction of a fraction of a nanosecond longer to reach the target crater because the target physically moved away as space stretched.
Speaker 2: Oh, because the distance change.
Speaker 3: Exactly, the phase of the light wave shifts. By comparing the phase of the scent light with the received light, we can measure that subatomic movement.
Speaker 2: We have accidentally built the ultimate physics laboratory, A piece of technology, initially designed to give us GPS coordinates for an ice mining rover, doubles as a giant planetary scale antenna for the most massive cosmic of in the universe. We can literally sit in a dark, freezing hole in the lunar dirt and feel the microscopic ripples of supermassive black holes colliding at the edge of the observable universe.
Speaker 3: It is the beauty of pushing fundamental limits. When you push technology to the absolute physical limit of stability, it naturally becomes a window into the subtle underlying mechanics of the universe. By silencing the noise of thimer dynamics, by hiding from the heat of the sun, we allow ourselves to hear the quietest, most elusive whispers of gravity.
Speaker 2: That is profound. Yeah, but as much as we are sitting here talking about perfect physics, zero expansion coefficients and deep space mysteries, someone actually has to build this thing. The logistics of turning this from a mathematical theory into a real object sitting in a lunar crater are staggering. Physicist Junie, who is an absolute legend in the world of lasers and precision measurements. Apparently initially view this as a crazy.
Speaker 3: Idea, and you can completely understand his initial skepticism. Think about the reality of what is being proposed. You were taking the most delicate, vibration sensitive instrument known to modern science, something that normally sits on massive air floated optical tables in climate controlled underground bunkers on Earth, and you want to strap it to a rocket. You want to blast it into space, surviving the violent acoustic shaking and g forces of launch, you fly it to the Moon, and then you somehow drop it into a pitch black abyss without breaking it. It sounds assurd, It.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a recipe for a very expensive pile of shattered silicon.
Speaker 3: But then physicists started consulting with colleagues who actually study the lunar surface, looking at the actual empirical data of those permanently shadowed regions, and the narrative completely flipped. So they realized that the exact ingredients needed for the silicon cavity to function, the extreme vibration isolation, the ultra high vacuum, the cryogenic temperatures, they were naturally freely available down there. The crazy idea wasn't crazy because the environment was hostile of the machine. The idea was brilliant because because the environment was perfectly naturally tailored for it.
Speaker 2: And the saving grace is the size. Right, the device itself isn't massive. The core silicon optical cavity and its housing are small enough to easily fit inside a standard lunar spacecraft or commercial lunar lander. It doesn't require a massive, dedicated heavy lift rocket just for itself. It can piggyback as a secondary payload. The complex part is that it must be fully assembled, perfectly aligned, and calibrated here on Earth before launch.
Speaker 3: Which leads directly to the deployment challenge. On the lunar surface. You have this fully assembled microscopic precision instrument, you successfully land your spacecraft somewhere on the rim near the south Pole. Now you have to actually get it into the shadow. This final step is incredibly challenging, primarily because of the lighting conditions.
Speaker 2: Right, as we said, the lighting is terrible. It's deep shadow, and we can't exactly send an astronaut on a hike down into a pitch black crater carrying a priceless physics experiment. The terrain is unknown, the regulith is loose, and if their spacesuit heating system fails in fifty kelvin, they die exactly.
Speaker 3: Human deployment into the deep crater is out of the question for now. The operational plan involves a specialized lunar rover. This rover could be remotely controlled from Earth, though you have to deal with that one point three second communication lag, or mechanically controlled by astronaut sitting safely in a habitat on the sunlit rim. The rover carefully picks up the instrument, drives it to the edge, and slowly navigates down the crater wall into the darkness.
Speaker 2: What are the biggest hazards for the rover on that drive? I mean, besides just.
Speaker 3: Falling, aside from driving into an unseen ditch, the two biggest enemies are power and dust. Without sunlight, the rover can't use solar panels. It either needs a massive battery and RTG which is a radioisedtope thermoelectric generator, or it needs to unspool a physical power cable from a base station on the rim as it drives down. That makes sense, and then there's the lunar dust. Lunar regolith is incredibly abrasive and it sticks to everything due to startic electricity. If a layer of dust gets onto the optical mirrors or the thermal radiation panels, the instrument is completely ruined. The rover has to place the instrument gently without kicking up a cloud of debris.
Speaker 2: So the rover drives down, fights the dust, fights the darkness, reaches the target depth where the ambient temperature stabilizes at fifty kelvin and gently sets the payload down. Then the deployment sequence begins.
Speaker 3: Yes, the protective covers open the thermal radiation panels we discussed earlier, unfurl. They point straight up toward the empty black sky, and that slow passive bleed of infrared heat begins, dropping the core temperature down to that magical sixteen Calvin limit. Then the commercial laser, which is sitting safely up on the rim in the sunlight, is activated. Its light is piped down the fiber opticable into the darkness. It enters the cavity, the electronic feedbacklock is achieved, and the extraterrestrial clock starts ticking.
Speaker 2: What absolutely blows my mind is the timeline they are discussing for this When you hear about something this complex involving gravitational waves, relativity, and robotic crater deployment, you naturally assume it's a concept paper for the year twenty eighty. You'd think so, But the projections estimate that they could actually demonstrate a working silicon optical cavity in lower orbit within two years, and they could theoretically deploy this on the lunar surface within three to five years. Three to five years. We are not talking about science fiction for our grandchildren. We were talking about technology that could fly in the next presidential administration.
Speaker 3: The rapid timeline is entirely possible because of the sheer scale and caliber of the human collaboration behind this project. You have massive space agencies who are the undisputed masters of space flight mechanics and rover logistics. You have national metrology institutes who are the world masters at precision measurement, quantum mechanics, and timekeeping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody's pitching in.
Speaker 3: It is a highly coordinated, multi agency, international effort pulling together the absolute best minds in cryogenics, optical physics, and space exploration. They aren't trying to invent new physics from scratch. They are taking perfectly understood, proven physics and simply packaging it for an alien environment.
Speaker 2: It is an incredibly elegant technological piggyback. We are already going back to the moon. We have already designated these exact South Pole regions as the primary landing sites, because, as we mentioned at the beginning, humanity needs the water ice hidden in those shadows to survive long term. We are building a highway to the dark.
Speaker 3: We really are.
Speaker 2: And the physicists simply looked at the manifest and said, well, since you're heading to the cold, dead dark anyway to dig for water, do you mind dropping off our laser.
Speaker 3: It is the ultimate synergy of space exploration. The brute force pursuit of basic survival resources creates the logistical bridge required to deploy the most delicate advanced physics experiments in human history. We use the pickaxe to pave the way for the laser.
Speaker 2: We have covered an absolutely massive journey in this conversation today. We started by peering over the edge into an empty, d freezing pitch black crater, a place that seems completely apathetical to life and human endeavor, and step by step we unpacked how that exact terrifying nothingness is the key, the fifty kelvin ambient cold, the deep self scrubbing vacuum, the passive radiation of heat into the cosmos to hit that magical sixteen kelvin number where a block of silicon freezes its physical dimensions perfectly and refuses to expand or contract.
Speaker 3: We saw how that frozen stillness allows us to lock a wild laser, taming its chaotic light into a single, perfect, unvarying frequency using electronic feedback, right.
Speaker 2: And how that perfect frequency becomes an extraterrestrial atomic clock counting hundreds of trillions of ticks per second, broadcasting a master time signal that provides a local lunar GPS to safely guide astronauts down into the dark. And finally, how that exact same laser network becomes so unimaginably precise that it can act as an interferometer, feeling the literal fabric of space time, squishing the Moon as gravityational waves wash over the Solar System. We traveled from a dark hole in the dirt all the way to the grandest mechanics of the universe.
Speaker 3: It is a remarkable synthesis of structural engineering and theoretical astrophysics. I think the biggest takeaway is how it reminds us that environment dictates capability, Yes, exactly. Looking beyond the obvious, bright, energetic places on the Moon and instead leveraging the extreme stillness of the shadows, we unlock a completely new era of precision science. It fundamentally shifts our relationship with the lunar surface. The moon is no longer just a destination to plant a flag. It is becoming an active, participating instrument in our quest to measure and understand reality.
Speaker 2: Which leads me with a thought that I want to pass directly to you listening right now. The next time you walk outside at night and look up at the moon in the sky, I want you to change how you see it. We always focus on the bright, glowing face, we track the phases of the light catching the sun. But look at the shadows, Look at the edges, think about those hidden frozen craters at the poles. Can look at the most desolate, hostile, lightless regions of our closest neighbor and realize they're actually the perfect housing for the most precise scientific instruments humanity has ever conceived. It makes you wonder what other seemingly dead space is in our solar system. The freezing, toxic valleys of Mars, the pitch black subsurface oceans of Europa, the shadowed, chaotic rings of Saturn are just waiting for us to uncover their hidden, unimaginable utility. We just have to be willing to look into the dark.