Speaker 1: In March of twenty twenty one, a man was found shot in the back of the head along a quiet trail in a United States National park. What started as a strange and mysterious killing quickly unraveled into a carefully planned act tied to years of unresolved trauma, digital footprints, and a cross state trail of evidence. This is the story of how one moment in the woods exposed the limits of justice and the devastating cost of taking it into one's own hands. This is the tragic and convoluted story of Matthew Dunmyer and Chelsea Perkins.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: The following podcast and material intended about your audience listener discretion is It's.
Speaker 2: The last Friday before Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: So there's not a whole lot of time to make sure you're on the nice list or the naughty list. I need them where you want to land.
Speaker 2: At this point, I think it's done. No, it's decided.
Speaker 1: There is no. It's never too late for redemption. It's never too late for redemption.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, this is actually a good time. A year to maybe have a reminder because it's just madness out there.
Speaker 1: It is. People are driving like crazy, They're being dicks to each other. Yeah, everyone's in a rush and not looking to where everyone else is walking or living or existing.
Speaker 2: It's almost unsafe to be driving. Like, we live in a fair small town and the other day I got cut off like twice. So it's like, say, if I wasn't fully paying attention or had my mind somewhere else, like, holy shit, there's an accident.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I understand everyone has things going on, but just try and be aware, try and be a little nice. That's what Christmas is about, you know, be nice to those around you, so and try and spread that if you can.
Speaker 2: If you're on the naughtylist, you're staying on the naughtulist. Oh just kidding.
Speaker 1: We literally watched the Muppets a Christmas Carol last night. Yea Ebenezer Scrooge redeemed himself overnight.
Speaker 2: Come on now, Yeah that was like, that was really lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a whole moral of the story, you know, redemption and being nice. And here you're just like, no, it's too late, no one can do it.
Speaker 2: Just kidding. I actually sat through that and put my laptop away and didn't work. It was it was nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do have a big announcement we got to make, not just talking about Christmas. We have officially joined up on the iHeartMedia platform. So you might notice a little bit of changes within, like how ads are played or anything, but generally speaking you shouldn't notice much. It's more so on the back end. But we're super super excited to, you know, make that change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a really smooth transition, so I think was it well for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't have to do any of the back end work.
Speaker 2: I had to listen to you, and you weren't very you weren't really complaining, So I felt like it went pretty.
Speaker 1: Smooth because I was focused, I was doing things.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was moral support, and it seemed from my end to go pretty good.
Speaker 1: You did pour me and Mimosa to celebrate afterwards, so I appreciate that. Thank you. I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are like full blown Christmas drinks over here, Mimosa's eggnog with rom. I'm having a hot chocolate eggnog this morning.
Speaker 1: I'm just having coffee, but that's also a Christmas drink. That's an everyday, all the time, drink.
Speaker 2: Yes, but anyway, very excited to be moving over to that new network.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so all the all the exciting new things. Hey, you know, just looking forward to it. But I do think we should get into the case instead of too much chit chat. You ready for it?
Speaker 2: I am. You've told me a tiny bit about this one, so I'm very intrigued to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's let's go and dive into the detail.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: It was late in the morning on Tuesday, March ninth, twenty twenty one, when a pair of hikers stepped onto the Tera Vista trail inside Cyahuga Valley National Park. It's a quiet stretch of woods south of Cleveland that most people visit for its scenery, not really for surprises. The trail winds through thick trees and uneven ground, and it's easy to lose sight of other hikers once you step off the main path. And that's when they saw him, a man lying face down in the leaves, just off that path and laying perfectly still.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: At first glance, there was no obvious sign of a struggle, no drag marks in the earth, no disturbed brush, just a body that clearly didn't belong there. Now, park rangers and first responders were called and arrived shortly after. The man's body was already cold to the touch as they knelt down and felt for a pulse that was not there. There was little decomposite, which suggested he hadn't been there for long, and the cause of death, well, it was immediate. He had a single gunshot wound to the back of his head. There was no weapon laying nearby, there was no shell casing on the ground, and no sign that he had tried to defend himself. It was just simple and what appeared to be an execution. However, even if that's what it seemed like, nothing could be ruled out. Accidents happened in strange ways, for example, and suicides, while unlikely in this situation given the placement and nothing found around him, still had to be considered. Homicide was, of course the most possible, but without a suspect or motive, or even an identity, it was still just a theory. Now, because the death occurred inside a national park, federal jurisdiction kicked in almost immediately. The FBI joined the investigation. Alongside local authorities and investigators while they began working to identify the man, and with dental records and missing persons reports, they soon confirmed his identity as thirty one year old Matthew Dunmyer, a Virginia native who had been living in Ohio. But even with a name, the mystery only continued to deepen. Why was he alone in a remote area of the National Park, Why had someone shot him from behind? And who had been with him before he died? Who had shot him? How? Why? All these questions began to pile up. Investigators shifted their focus from the crime scene to try and figure out those questions and of course, his final known movements. Now they had discovered that Matthew had moved from Virginia to Ohio in an attempt to do a bit of a fresh start on his life. He was living near Hudson, working at a screen printing shop and spending most of his time with coworkers who had become his main social circle. Now to them, Matthew came across as laid back. He was creative and easy to get along with. He played guitar, loved music, and often talked about his kids back home in Virginia. On the evening of Friday, March fifth, Matthew went out with his coworkers to a bar called Teaky Underground. It wasn't unusual for the group to grab drinks after work, and nothing about the night really seemed off, at least not at first. At some point during the evening, Matthew mentioned that he had plans for the weekend. A woman he knew from Virginia was in town and they were going to go spend time together. Now, not long after that, his phone lit up with a message. Matthew glanced down, smiled, and told the group that she had arrived, and so he stood up, grabbed his coat, and headed outside. Now, one of his supervisors followed him on his way out to say goodbye and you know, wish him a good weekend sort of thing. So as they talked, the supervisor noticed a small white car idling in the parking lot and a woman with dark hair sitting in the driver's seat. Matthew smiled a big grin and shook his supervisor's hand, then got into the passenger seat of the car as it pulled away. That was the last time anyone at the bar would ever see Matthew alive.
Speaker 2: Dun dun, dum Hey yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. Surveillance cameras in the area later confirmed them leaving, and traffic cameras and told data also showed the white smart car moving through Cleveland that evening as well. Around the same time, the car stopped at a gas station. Footage showed Matthew going inside to buy cigarettes, a canned drink, and a bottle of Aquafina water. From there, the car headed towards an Airbnb on the east side of Cleveland. Later that night, cameras near a sandwich shop captured Matthew and a woman together casually grabbing food before returning to that airbnb. Cell Phone data placed both of them inside the rental overnight. The next morning, Saturday, March sixth, Matthew sent several text messages to his girlfriend back in Virginia. Now, his girlfriend knew he was meeting this girl as it seemed like it was a meetup of potentially an old friend or something like that, So she was aware of this.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So here I was assuming this was his girlfriend or a lady he was interested in.
Speaker 1: Definitely not his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, from the tone of the messages back to his girlfriend. It suggested that there was some tension going on with this girl that he was now hanging out with. He said that, you know, they'd met up and somehow he managed to upset her and he admitted, quote pissed this chick off end quote Now. Still, nothing in those messages suggested he felt unsafe or believed that he could be in any danger. But at ten twenty nine am, matt sent one final text to his girlfriend and said, Okay, I'll see you in a little while now. Investigators would later determine that message was sent from inside Coya Huga Valley National Park, the same place where he was found dead, and of course Matthew never made it home. Now, as detectives pieced together the timeline, it was obvious Matthew hadn't gone into the woods alone. Somewhere between the bar, the airbnb, and the park, someone else had been with him, and whoever that person was had vanished since without a trace. But for now all investigators had was a car, a woman in town for the weekend, and a growing sense that this wasn't a spontaneous act. So as investigators continued to work back through Matthew's final hours, new information began to surface from people who had been inside Cyahuga Valley National Park that same morning, and they were well. They were first hand encounters that placed another person in the woods at the exact same time that Matthew seemed to disappear. Late in the morning on March sixth, a couple walking along the trails near the Terra Vista Natural Study Area reported hearing a single sharp sound that echoed through the trees. It sounded to them like a gunshot, and the noise was unsettling enough that they turned around and left the area immediately and did not continue with their plans.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's probably pretty smart. Hey, that would be alarming.
Speaker 1: Definitely now. Not long after, another pair of hikers entered the same section of the park, and as they made their way along the trail near an old cemetery, they noticed a woman walking alone. She stood out immediately. She was dressed heavily in black, dark pants, black hoodie, and heavy boots that didn't quite fit the setting of hiking on a nature trail to say the least. Hey, no one's judging, it's just a little out of the ordinary. And she didn't look injured or she didn't panic either, but she didn't really look relaxed. Something else was an air about her to say. When the hiker spoke to her, she said that she was lost and she was trying to find the cemetery. Her tone was flat and calm, and after a brief exchange, she turned and walked away. Now, at the time, it didn't feel like much more than an encounter in the woods with someone dressed all in black. People get lost in the park time to time. It's not out of the ordinary. People look for a cemetery or other landmarks. But once Matthew's body was discovered days later, those interactions took a much heavier weight because well, she had been seen near the exact area where Matthew's body would later be found, and witnesses could place her within a narrow window of time.
Speaker 2: And she wasn't like very calm or did have an odd demeanor about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So you have this window of a gunshot was heard, a body is found. When you find someone that just is a little bit out of place, and all those things fall into place, that's when suspicions start to get raised. Now, at this point in the investigation, detectives still didn't know who she was. They didn't have a name, they didn't know where she came from really, or where she went afterwards. The first break in the case, though, came from Matthew's workplace. His coworkers at the screen printing shop in Hudson, Ohio told investigators about the night that he disappeared. That on March fifth, Matthew had gone out with them to the local bar, the Teaky Underground, when they mentioned, you know, the meeting of the woman in the parking lot from out of town for the weekend, and when it came time to leave, supervisor walked him outside and said goodbye, and the details of him climbing in the small white car parked outside the bar came to light. It had been an out of state car because it had the plates from another state and the person behind the wheel appeared to be a woman with dark hair. Surveillance footage from the nearby cameras backed up that account, and from there investigators began tracing the vehicle's movements using traffic cameras, toll readers, and license plate recognition systems. The white smart car appeared again at a gas station, then later moving through Cleveland neighborhoods the trail didn't stop at city limits, though records show the same car had traveled from Ohio to Virginia on March fifth, just hours before Matthew was seen alive. Toll data confirmed a very deliberate multi state drive that aligned precisely with his final moments. Now after his death, the following morning, the vehicle left Ohio again, crossing into Michigan before eventually returning to Virginia. What had initially looked like an isolated killing on a hiking trail was now clearly part of a larger, planned sequence. Someone had driven hundreds of miles to reach Matthew, to stay overnight with him, and then left the state within hours of his death. The case was no longer confined to this national park. It had crossed state lines, involved federal land, and pointed to planning rather than chance. Investigators soon identified the owner of that white smart car, and it was a man by the name of John Perkins. He was a man living in Virginia, but records quickly showed he hadn't been in Ohio that weekend, and it was obvious he was not the person seen driving. So the next step was to figure out who had been behind the wheel. Now John did have a wife, and her name was Chelsea Perkins. As agents began pulling records on her name, things started surfacing. Travel data showed she had driven from Virginia to Ohio on March fifth, twenty twenty one, arriving just hours before Matthew had left the bar with her. The timeline fit way too cleanly to ignore. Clearly she was the one driving that car. Now, the Airbnb Matthew stayed in that night wasn't booked under his name, nor was it a fake name or even a third party. It had been reserved under Chelsea Perkins's name, confirming that she was in fact there. Also, she used her own credit card.
Speaker 2: Hmm, okay, so she's really not hiding that she was there at all.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. The address placed her and Matthew together overnight, less than twenty four hours before his death, and surveillance footage from the area, and of course you know it all showed them together. It was very obvious investigators now had something they didn't have before, a full identity tied to the vehicle, the lodging, and the timeline. Now Chelsea wasn't this mysterious woman anymore. She was a confirmed part of Matthew's final days, and at this point, while she wasn't under arrest, In fact, she didn't even know that she was at the center of an expanding federal investigation. But behind the scenes, agents began quietly building their profile and started digging into her background deeper, and what they found was not at all what they expected. As it turns out, Chelsea Perkins was a former US Coast Guard service member. She was also married, as we know, and she also had children. Now after leaving the military, Chelsea Perkins had built a public online persona alongside her private life as a wife and mother. She was active on social media and earned an income through online adult content platforms, including one such as OnlyFans, operating under a different name. Now, to investigators, this wasn't evidence of wrongdoing by any means, but it did explain her extensive digital footprint and why her online activity would later become part of this investigation. So there was nothing about her that suggested a history of violence or criminal behavior. There's no prior arrests, no obvious red flags. A mother, a wife, an adult content creator. That's about it. And as agents shifted their focus to Chelsea Perkins, it began securing court authorization to examine the digital trail surrounding her movements. They got a hold of her phone provider and looked through all the information, which included app data and location data. Now through this they began reconstructing her movements digitally. GPS data placed her in Cleveland on the evening of March fifth, lining up with surveillance footage and toll records and everything else. Cell Phone tower pings confirmed she stayed overnight near the airbnb, which by morning of March sixth, both her phone and Matthews were then moving in sync. Her social media added more to this. Still, in the days before the trip, Chelsea had posted an interesting and perhaps cryptic message that read quote dead men tell no tales end quote. Now on its own, that might mean nothing, but paired with everything else, it lands a little bit differently, almost as if there's a bit of a hidden meaning behind it.
Speaker 2: Potentially it sure does well. And also, this is twenty twenty one. It's like, I don't know it. They're just they're able to find so much information, right like, so this is honestly surprising me that if she would be the killer, because she just isn't hiding a single thing, but.
Speaker 1: It's potential that she's not trying to hide I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Now, while digital evidence was painting a very troubling picture, investigators still needed something solid, something physical that could stand on its own in court. They needed real evidence. They needed something to say that she was in fact there, that she in fact killed him, because as of right now, she was with him prior to she left after one could have been seen in the park. We don't know. There's all this surrounding it, but there's nothing tying her to the exact crime scene and the exact crime Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Maybe she didn't even have anything to hide per.
Speaker 1: Se, So it is just circumstantially yeah, point, it really is. Well, the evidence that they needed came from the autopsy and the crime scene itself, or at least some did. If you recall, Matthew had been killed with a single gunshot wound to the back of the head, and the trajectory told investigators a lot that the bullet entered from behind at close range, traveling in a straight path. Now, there were no defensive wounds, no injury, suggesting a fight or sudden confrontation. Whatever happened out there, it was over quickly, like he was with someone he knew or trusted. Yes, again still circumstantial. But near Matthew's body, investigators found a partially full Aquafina water bottle, and forensic testing would turn it into one of the most important pieces of evidence in this case because DNA analysis revealed two profiles on the bottle, Matthew's and Chelsea's. Oh and Matthew is seen on surveillance purchasing an Aquafina water bottle with her.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's like a smoking gun and a half, is it?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: Kind of I feel like.
Speaker 1: Now here's the thing. Sure they could have shared the water bottle an hour before.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I guess still.
Speaker 1: Doesn't pin her down at the scene.
Speaker 2: True, because she was with him when he bought that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she didn't just have a drink when they bought it, and he later took it on a hike. Okay, I see where you're going.
Speaker 1: So these are important pieces of evidence for sure, but there's still not quite the smoking gun they're looking for now. Her DNA was also found under Matthew's fingernails and on hair recovered from his body. The evidence showed that the two had been close in physical contact shortly before his death, but still did not by itself prove a crime, but it firmly established that Matthew had not been alone in the woods. Now they had digital records placing Chelsea at the scene, they really do, but pulling the trigger murdering someone is a different story. They had witnesses who saw her in the woods immediately after a gunshot DNA tying her there. But now, up until this point in the investigation, it had focused almost entirely in what happened that day in March, and rightfully so. But as agents continued digging into Chelsea's background, they uncovered a piece of history that reframed the case in a way no one saw coming. And in March of twenty seventeen, Chelsea herself had walked into a police station in Virginia Beach and made a very serious accusation. She reported that Matthew Dunmyer, the murder victim and someone she had known for years, had actually sexually assaulted and raped her. Now, the details of that report were never publicly released, but police did investigate. Matthew admitted that he had been together sexually with her, but he claimed the encounter was consensual, and ultimately charges were not filed citing insufficient evidence.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, wow, there you go.
Speaker 1: Legally the matter ended right there. But for Chelsea, clearly it didn't end at all.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it wouldn't have for sure.
Speaker 1: Investigators would later learn that she carried the weight of that allegation four years. Messages recovered from her phone and social media accounts showed lingering anger, resentment, and a belief that Matthew had escaped accountability for what he had done to her and who knows, potentially others. In private conversations, she wrote that one day he would get his someday quote.
Speaker 2: Unquote, oh gosh, okay.
Speaker 1: Now, this history was known to Matthew's coworkers in Ohio. It wasn't known to the hikers who crossed paths with Chelsea in the woods either, and it wasn't still known to the investigators when they began piecing this whole thing together. Right at the very beginning, they had no clue. But once it was uncovered, it provided a lot of insight and a possible motive for a crime. Now, importantly, investigators were careful how this information was handled, the twenty seventeen allegation had never resulted in charges, and Matthew was never convicted of a crime. That legal reality remained unchanged. What the history did show, however, was that Chelsea and Matthew did not reconnect as strangers or casual acquaintances. They reconnected, yes, but with unresolved trauma, anger and a pass that had never been settled in court. So with everything they had, investigators now needed to try and prove what they thought to be true, which was that Chelsea had murdered Matthew. So on March thirtieth, federal agents executed a search warrant at her home in Arlington, Virginia, carefully documenting everything they found inside the residents, agents recovered several firearms, including a Springfield Armory nine millimeter pistol registered to Chelsea. One of the weapons was located alongside her personal identification, leaving no question about the ownership or access, and ammunition was of course seized as well. Now, the bullet recovered from Matthew's skull was also a nine millimeter round, and test firings were of course conducted soon thereafter, and the markings on the test bullets were compared to the bullet taken from Matthew's bullet body and guess what it was an undeniable match. Oh no, they literally have a smoking gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I do have a burning question here, what's up? Because like she went to go visit him as a friend, so were they they were in his mind still on like friend grounds here, I don't know, and it wouldn't have been weird or alarming or I don't know, okay, because yeah, just sitting here, I'm like, that's so odd that a to anyone in her life, she would be able to go visit him and that would be okay and be like that he wouldn't think that's fishy, you know that she wants to come meet up with him.
Speaker 1: There are some gray areas within this story and we'll touch on that. Don't worry, Okay. So now, beyond the firearms that were found, there were also receipts that were collected, told data and booking records which confirmed Chelsea's drive to Virginia to Ohio had happened and her overnight's stay at the Airbnb. Investigators would also recover deleted Facebook messages between the two of them. The conversation wasn't long, but it was enough to establish that the meeting had been planned days in advance, not arranged on a whim. But most damning of all, forensic analysis also recovered deleted data from her phone that included a draft note written from Matthew's point of view. It was a suicide note.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: There was a drafted suicide note written from Matthew's point of view found on her phone that she had wrote. Now, this was never sent, it was never transferred to his phone, never printed. Nothing. It did exist, Okay, typed out, saved, and later deleted, So take that with a grain of salt, but it did exist.
Speaker 2: That was probably her ultimate plan, was to make this seem like a suicide and then something yeah when a rye or astray or whatever exactly.
Speaker 1: And finding this in her phone it changed a lot on how investigators viewed this case. This clearly wasn't just someone who panicked after a crime situation. This was someone who had thought very clearly and deliberately about how the death would be explained, how it would look, and what story would be told afterwards.
Speaker 2: Probably for the past four years, if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: Potentially Yeah, now even though this note was never used, its presence mattered hugely. It showed forethought and clear pre meditation to potential murder, that Matthew's death had been considered in advance, like you said, upwards of even four years. Now, despite the evidence that was gathered, Chelsea was still not taken into custody, at least not right away anyways. Instead, she returned to her life in Virginia and remained free for nearly nine months while the investigation continued behind the scenes. Now, the delay was not due to uncertainty about her involvement. It was pretty clear what slowed the process down was procedures. The crime had taken place on federal land, which places it under federal jurisdiction, while Chelsea lived in another state, So every step required coordination between agencies, extensive forensic testing too, and careful legal review, and all of that takes a lot of time. Now, DNA analysis in particular, it took a while samples collected from the water bottle, for example, Like, that's not something to pick up the water bottle and just know the DNA's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely can take quite a while.
Speaker 1: For sure, So I might have talked about it like, oh, they found the water bottle and it had her DNA on it. It took months to figure out her DNA was on there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Matthew's body also needed processing in documentation to federal standards. Ballistic testings also had to be completed and verified. Prosecutors needed every piece of this to be air tight before moving forward with charges that could result in a life in prison, so that takes time and work. Now, during all this, during this period, Chelsea did not go on the run. She stayed in her home, cared for her children, and continued posting online without even a hint that she was ever the focus in a major investigation. She knew she was, though, because they had executed a warrant on her place, right, she knew she was under the microscope.
Speaker 2: But she was just living well. I mean, she and her mind probably felt this. She was owed this, So she's just going about living her life.
Speaker 1: I guess saying, yeah, she's not trying to hide what she did. She's not trying to run from what she did. She's just potentially took care of business and got back to everyday life. Now, behind the scenes, federal agents kept watching her. Her movements were monitored her communications were tracked and legally were permitted anyways, and by the end of twenty twenty one, the case was complete. Every delay had served its purpose, and every piece of evidence was now in place. All that remained was an arrest. So in a quiet day in December of twenty twenty one, nearly nine months after Matthew Dunmyer was killed in the Woods, federal agents arrived at Chelsea's home in Virginia and placed her under arrest. There was no dramatic standoff, no attempt to flee. Neighbors simply watched as she was quietly taken into custody, with many of those neighbors unaware of what she had done and why she was being led away in the first place. Chelsea was charged with first degree murder on federal land, along with a firearms violation tied to the use and discharge of a weapon during a crime of violence, meaning if convicted at trial, she was facing possible life in prison plus additional time for weapons charges.
Speaker 2: Okay, does it make it worse that it was on federal land?
Speaker 1: It does? Yes?
Speaker 2: Really? Okay, she probably had no idea about that then, No, assuming.
Speaker 1: I don't quote me on this, but I believe it's the charges are upscaled or sorry, not the charges, Like the sentencing is upscaled, So yeah, your charges is also upscaled to like first scream murder to first scream murder on federal land. Yeah, which means I think it's a harsher punishment.
Speaker 2: Huh Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, for Matthew's family, the arrest brought a mix of relief and devastation. The uncertainty of what had followed, you know, with his death was finally replaced with answers. But the reality of what those answers meant, well, it was impossible to ignore their son, who was himself a father of two, had been deliberately killed for an alleged evil act, and the woman responsible was someone he had trusted enough to spend his final night with. But why he was doing so is a whole other conversation which you were kind of already touching on, which we don't really know. Perhaps it was to reconcile past actions, Maybe we don't know. Maybe it was driven by desires of more infidelity. Maybe it was simply platonic. We just do not know.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: While Chelsea sat in jail awaiting the next phase, of her case, a separate tragedy was already beginning to unfold, one that investigators had never anticipated. Matthew dun meyers mother, Tommy Lynne dun Meyer, had not taken the death of her son very well, and in the months following the discovery of his body, her grief hardened into obsession. Convinced that the system was moving far too slowly, she began conducting her own investigation, pouring over information and trying to identify who she believed was responsible for Matthew's murder, and by November of twenty twenty one, Tommy Lynn believed she had found the person who killed her son. But she was wrong. She didn't know she was wrong, and accompanied by her husband, John McQuillan, she traveled to Washington, d c. Convinced that this woman she had found was living there just in peace, being Matthew's killer. The plan she had was simple. She was dressed as a ups driver, carrying a fake package and a concealed firearm. John waited nearby as a getaway driver, and as they knocked on the door to deliver said package, the door opened and Tommy Lynn pulled the trigger and fired two shots into the innocent woman's stomach.
Speaker 2: O holy fridge. I did not see this coming at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the woman who answered the door had no connection to Matthew whatsoever or his death at all. She was an innocent stranger who got shot because someone took what they thought was justice into their own hands.
Speaker 2: Oh my word, Okay, please tell me she made it.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, this woman survived the attack thanks to emergency services who reached her in time.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's I mean, gosh. I can see like being angry and like wanting to get like justice for your kid and stuff, but that is not the way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. We'll talk about it out. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially if you're not totally well. I guess she probably was totally certain. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay. There's two perspectives on this though, because arguably Chelsea did the same thing her mother did. Chelsea went and shot someone who wronged her, who raped and sexually assaulted her. That's why Matthew's.
Speaker 2: Dead, the same thing Matthew's mother did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, or sorry Matthew's mother. Yeah, So Matthew's mother is now taking yeah, doing the same thing. But it was an innocent person yeah. So so sometimes, yeah, you know what, you might want to take matters into your own hands, but are you really doing it properly?
Speaker 2: Well, and in reality, what is that going to necessarily do for you? Because you're probably going to get caught, and then what's your life after that? You know?
Speaker 1: Well exactly, So this case literally shows two sides of the coin when you take matters into your own hands. Yes, a potential sex predator was held accountable quote unquote.
Speaker 2: We'll say that which they they should have been.
Speaker 1: They should have been. Yeah, if actually they did that crime, they definitely should be. Yeah, So she took matters to make sure he was actually held accountable. His mother was trying to do the same, but she got it wrong. She had no clue. Yeah, so she was holding the wrong person accountable. So there's that two side that when it goes wrong and when it does, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think we should just say too, like held accountable by you know, going to jail, not necessarily being like.
Speaker 1: That's when why I said quote unquote held up accountable, because it's depending on your perspective, and in her perspective, she was holding him quote unquote accountable. Now after this had occurred and police arrived, they were quickly closing in and Tommy Lynn and John while they were attempting to run, but soon after they got stopped. With the police and everything right, John exited the vehicle and surrendered, while Tommy Lynn remained sitting inside the vehicle. But moments later, there was another sharp pop sound as she pulled the trigger and took her own life with the same gun she used in the shooting. Oh no, So, in the span of a single night, Matthew's family lost a second life and an innocent woman was nearly killed.
Speaker 2: Holy mother of shit. Okay, this is just like a rollercoaster and a half, is it. Ever so, and when she took her life there, she didn't know that the person she shot had survived or anything yet.
Speaker 1: Really, she didn't know that the person she shot was rough and it was wrong, and she didn't know what the person was going to survive, So she assumed that she had killed the right person when everything about what she thought was incorrect. She had injured severely the incorrect person.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is just such a mess.
Speaker 1: Which is why taking things into your own hands is not always right. Because look at the mess it causes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that family too is now like the dad's dealing with a son that got murdered, a wife that's now committed suicide, and he is probably going to be facing some jail time, I would imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was later charged and pled guilty to accessory after the fact to assault with an intent to kill for his role, and ultimately he was sentenced to approximately three years in jail.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that is just such a mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this whole vigilante thing, it had no impact on Chelsea's case whatsoever. Who Well, she's the one who did it. We're aware of that. We already have the smoking gun and everything.
Speaker 2: I do wonder how like the mom was just so convinced about this other person, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not too sure how she got to that.
Speaker 2: But when you're when you're mourning and your mind isn't necessarily you know, in its right place, like you could, I could see how you could fixate on something and really believe it too.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred percent, which is exactly why I do not advocate for taking matters into your own hands. Yeah, Like, there's there are certainly times where I think someone needs to be more held accountables. Justice has failed. Things moved too slowly could result in someone getting hurt again. However, in the same breath, an innocent person almost died because someone took those matters into their own hands. They got too blinded by what they were fixated on, and the truth is always not exactly so easy to see anyways. After her arrest, Chelsea Perkins was transferred to federal custody and the folks shifted to prosecution. The evidence against her, well, it was extensive, to say the least, and prosecutors made it very clear early on that they had things like the smoking gun and it was going to be a slam dunk case, their surveillance footage, DNA ballistics, all of it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: In an attempt to avoid a trial, prosecutors offered Chelsea a plea deal. The proposal would have required her to admit guilt in exchange for a sentence in a range of twenty seven to thirty one years in prison. It was a deal that would have guaranteed she would eventually be released, though only after decades behind bars. Without this offer, she could be facing life without the possibility of parole, and Chelsea rejected the deal.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Instead, she maintained that while she had in fact killed Matthew Dunmyer, she's admitting it, the act she committed did not rise to the level of first degree murder. Her defense signaled an intention to argue that the killing was tied to pass trauma and not the result of long term planning. It's a very risky strategy, to say the least, especially given the evidence in the existence of things like the drafted suicide note they found in her phone, which show premeditation. Now, for years, the case moved slowly through the federal system. Pre trial motions were filed, evidence was reviewed and challenged, but all the while, prosecutors remained confident, while the defense weighed the growing reality that the jury might see the case very differently than they hoped. Then, finally, in March of twenty twenty five, just weeks before her case was scheduled to go to trial, Chelsea Perkins changed course, and, after years of denying criminal intent and rejecting earlier plea offers, she entered a guilty plea to second degree murder and to using and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence on federal property. As part of the agreement, prosecutors dropped the first degree murder charge, and the decision spared both sides a very lengthy trial, but it did not soften the reality of what Chelsea admitted to doing. In court, she acknowledged that she had shot Matthew Dunmyer in the woods of Cuyahouga Valley National Park. When asked directly if she committed the act, she answered quietly quote yes. At sentencing in September of twenty twenty five, the judge described the case as one of the most difficult ones he had to preside over. He acknowledged the history of trauma presented by the defense and recognized that Chelsea's actions were motivated by revenge rather than financial or impulsive gain, or anything along those lines, but at the same time he emphasized that the crime was in fact very deliberate. It involved planning, and resulted in the execution style killing of an unarmed man. Chelsea Perkins was sentenced to twenty two and a half year in federal prison. The court allowed her to serve her time in a facility closer to her family, which was a small concession with credit for time served, so she will likely be in her mid to late fifties before she's eligible for release. Chelsea at sentencing stood firm, and she told the court she accepted responsibility for her actions, and when she was led away to begin her sentence, the legal system considered the case finished. For everyone else involved, The impact was only beginning, though. Matthew Dunmyer, while he was thirty one years old when he was killed, he never saw his children grow up, and whatever complexities existed in his life, whatever allegations followed him, his death froze everything in place. His children would come to know their father through memories through secondhand stories in court records rather than presents. His absence created a void that no ruling or sentence could ever repair. Chelsea's children, while they were young when their mother was arrested, they are now watching her through prison visits. It's media coverage and legal headlines instead of everyday life. By the time she's eligible for release, they will be adults who spent most of their formative years without her. The consequences of her decision extended far beyond the man that she killed. Now, this case offers no clean moral resolution like many of our cases actually do. Instead, though this one forces some very uncomfortable questions about trauma, justice and the limits of the legal system. Chelsea Perkins reported that Matthew dun Meyer had sexually assaulted and raped her years earlier. Prosecutors reviewed the allegations and declined to file charges, citing insufficient evidence, and Matthew Dunmeyer was never convicted of that crime. For many survivors of sexual violence, this outcome is painfully familiar. Most assaults are never reported. Of those that are few, while the few resultant charges or convictions, victims have a fear of retaliation, how they're going to be pursued, and the burden of proof. Well, it often leaves victims feeling very exposed and very unprotected. So when justice feels out of reach, the emotional weight does not disappear. It lingers, and it simmers, and it results in people taking matter into their own hands. And there is an old saying, I will put it here just for context, because hey, I think it fits dramatically. Two wrongs do not make a right. Whether Matthew did what Chelsea alleged is never going to be known. But what we do know is people who commit crimes like that get away with it far too often. And Chelsea clearly felt a need to take matters into her own hands, just like well Matthew's mother did. What followed in this case was not justice, though many people sought to find it. It was instead escalation. Planning replaced accountability, revenge replaced due process. And for that reason, I do not think anyone is guilt free in this story. It's just too hard to let someone walk away with a crime. The trail where Matthew was found eventually returned to silence. Hikers passed through once again. Seasons have changed, but for the people left behind, the story has not faded. It became something they carried forward, a reminder of how quickly unresolved trauma can spiral into irreversible harm, and how violence, once unleashed, rarely remains contained. The law closed this file, but the consequences did not. And that's the story of Matthew Dunmeyer and Chelsea Perkins.
Speaker 2: Oh, that one's rough.
Speaker 1: It is rough, And I mentioned that we would kind of talk about some of the gray areas of why there's so many gray areas in this case, it's because everything did not get resolved in court. The first one, the alleged sexual allegations. Those never went to trial due to insufficient evidence, so we don't know what evidence was put forth. Those never made it public. And in Chelsea's case, she took a plea deal, So her story on what their meeting was about or how things began again, we'll never see the light of day because it didn't go to trial to become public information. Right, So all that is taped away in boxes through her accounts that she may never tell and will not We won't know unless she chooses to speak out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very tough because like in her mind, I'm I'm sure she you know, felt he needed to die, right, Yeah, because of what he did to her. And maybe she's totally fine paying the price for that now, right, But that, like you said, too, wrongs do not make it right because the life that she's getting to live now, I mean can't be great.
Speaker 1: No. Well, and Matthew's mother's gone, another person got shot and drug into it. His father is also serving time in jail. Like it's it creates more chaos. Yeah, don't get me wrong, I personally am an advocate for there needs to be harsher things. Harsher penalties are charges in accordance to sexual predators, especially when it comes to those who target children. There needs to be some more shit done. However, there's a fine fine line. You need to still have evidence, you need to still be able to prove things. But at the same time, of course, people don't want to speak up. It's becomes a story of their word versus their word. It's such a convoluted situation. There is no right answer. But certainly taking matters into your own hands is going to result in other shit happening, not necessarily just to you, but other people too. It's not going to end the way you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I said it earlier, like just a mess. This is a mess. I couldn't imagine the investigators, you know, like just waiting for what's going to happen next.
Speaker 1: Really no kidding in this, so no kidding.
Speaker 2: And it is really too bad though that there wasn't enough evidence, right, and like you've said, in a lot of cases, there isn't enough evidence when it comes to sexual assaults and stuff, and that it sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well in a lot of cases too, Like sexual assaults take advantage of women and people in terrible situations. Maybe it's someone who you know what could be homeless or struggling with addictions. Authorities have a very bad rap of not listening or believing people in those situations. Oh yeah, so people just get away with it and keep walking, right, nothing happens. Who are they going to believe the person who sexually assaulted them or the person who's living on a street, And do you have that perspective? Authorities just, well, it's bias. And so now people who hear these stories of biasness, well, they don't want to come forward because they don't want to be rejected or ridiculed. Of course, even if you have a situation of two individuals that the police will respect and listen to equally, it becomes their word versus your word. What evidence do you have? Sexual assaults? Guess what, they don't happen right in front of a camera. You don't have a rape kit or anything like that. You're not doing an interview with them, trying to get like secret audio of like tell me you're raping me right now so I can give it to evident like that. It just doesn't happen. What evidence can you find?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and even maybe at one point, like it was consensual and then it turned not right, and so then it's like, how do you go about proving that it's just really hard and not Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it's a tough situation, but authorities certainly need to be trying to evolve it and do more in those situations. But again, where does that answer lie? I don't know. I just do know that two wrongs do not make it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's really the best way you can put it for this case, because yeah, a lot of people have have have to deal with shit going forward now to like Chelsea's kids, right, they don't have their mom with them, so that I don't know, that's not great for them.
Speaker 1: The entire thing is really a tragedy. And honestly, I could go on forever on this one, because there's the more you dig, the more your perception and opinions change, and you go this way that way, and you talk. I'm debating myself in my own mind over this one. So I could go on forever. But I do want to thank you guys for being here. This is quite the story. Let us know your opinion. If you have any shoot us a message in email or comment or anything like that. Links are all on the description of this podcast. We really appreciate you being here. Because of you, we get to keep doing what we do. We're an independent podcast, researched, host it, produce all of it. It's us. We are a team. There's no one pulling the strings.
Speaker 2: But us, just us, just us.
Speaker 1: Just highlight the word just ready.
Speaker 2: I know you like that, So until next time, stay wicked.