Speaker 1: Welcome to Readers Syndicate, the only cannabis show breaking down the myths and.
Speaker 2: History in cannabis. I'm Matthew, seed maker for over a decade.
Speaker 1: And a half and this is my journey into finding my truth in this wild world of cannabis.
Speaker 2: I invite you to.
Speaker 1: Join me and the can Illuminati by strapping into the passenger seat.
Speaker 3: But be worn, it's not always pretty.
Speaker 1: With the invasion of corporate culture into cannabis, it's getting even more muddy, which is why I've made up my mission to have a permanent record before all the history is lost and buried under a pile of cookies. We're the Traditional Marketing Syndicate is a collection of seed bakers that want to push back against all the smoking mirrors.
Speaker 2: In doing so, we will continue to ruffle the feathers of those who oppose, and.
Speaker 1: My personal mission has become much bigger than myself. Welcome to the cannabis underground. This is the revolution. Welcome to Reader Syndicate. I'm Matthew here with my co hosts thousand four.
Speaker 2: Today we will be talking about the Codex and thousand and fold. Would you like to give them an introduction on the Codex A brief one, what it is and what it means.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sure, so I think this episode is almost an extension of the episode that we call the name Game on the cannabis information space, And yeah, we are launching our own quote unquote strained database that we're calling the Codex, and certainly, you know, we're going to talk about databases out there like file Us, Leafly, seed Finders, strainly and how we got to the Codex idea ourselves, and how we got to building that yep, and implicitly like make a comparison between all these different WED databases and you know what we think is good and we think is bad about each of them and what they contributed to, you know, a sense of cannabis and cannabis history. So far, that's good. Yeah. So I don't know the Codex itself. I think we'll save most of the details for the end. But yeah, I think all we can say right now is that this is something that I built with the help of Ousia and Anodine from the British Syndicate of course, in consultation with Mett the whole time. And yeah, we built it earlier in the year. So yeah, that's really exciting, and I don't know, Matt, I think we'll get back to it more fully later. Is anything you want to say at this point about the codex?
Speaker 2: You know, it's just one of those things that I felt always needed to be done, you know, like correctly. And I've always had this goal in mind of how to do it correctly, but never a way to do it correctly. And I think that there's a big demand for it. I know there are other things out there that people consider efficient only because maybe they're their understanding of cannabis genetics is different than mine, so the perspective might be different. But yeah, that's about where I'll leave for now, and we'll jump into it and go deeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think to kind of start the countdown, so to speak, we're she's going to go through yet. Like I mentioned, these these are quote unquote major cannabis databases, and the first one that we have discussed or sorry I should say, Matt, you know historically has mentioned a number of times everyone's favorite filos, Yes, Filos.
Speaker 2: So this is a tough one because this is a major corporation. I remember when I first spoke out about them, I know I was concerned because no one had my back at the time. It was it was it was a little big, It was a little bit much, you know, one guy going against a mega corp at the time, which as far as mega corps go, there that mega. But for cannabis at the time, they were making a big splash, and they were backed and co signed by many of the most respected like scientists and genetics, geneticists and breeders in cannabis. They all of them co signed it. So the promise of Filos initially was that they could show variance and breeding data or I'm trying to think of the best words for it, but basically they could tell you how uniform it will or won't breed. And they tried to say that they could tell you or like basically idea was to match you up with someone across the country who has equal but opposite genetic variance to you, so you could then combine them and make this amazing f one hybrid. That was the initial promise and I think that even Philos would agree that that was their initial statement how they came out, and that sounded great for me, like being able to understand something, you know, take take the material and find out how it's going to breed without having to breed with. It's pretty interesting. You know. There could be clones that are entered that I'm about to breed with, and I can go look and say, oh, oh, it breeds very narrow, So maybe I should match it up with this as opposed to this Polly hybrid or you know what have you?
Speaker 3: On one thing? Met here? Was it the first kind of public well publicly accessible project in cannabis that involved like, I don't know if this is the right term. Is it like genomic mapping or some kind of genetic mapping.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think medicinal genomics was before them, and there might have been one before however.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't the first attempt.
Speaker 2: At this correct however, it was I think the first big money attempted this, and the first time where all these massive breeders co signed something and immediately went behind it. Guys like Rob Clark, my friend time and he spoke about this since you know, lots of people co signed it and we're all about it, you know, Yeah, did you talk about.
Speaker 3: This with Chimera on one of the episodes.
Speaker 2: I may have, I am sure, because it's how we but it is right right, Okay, So yeah, I mean, like I said, I was very outspoken about it. And when I finally started having interactions with them because I you know, I had a certain spidy sense going off because they were saying they could do also after they said this this genetic testing to see how variant it is, they started saying they could do genetic testing to see relative data like seeing parental data, seeing like s ones, to mother data, seeing you know, cousins, all kinds of stuff. They were claiming that if they were in their database, they could prove or disprove genetic relation and show how they're related, which for any breeder, what.
Speaker 3: Everyone had been dreaming of.
Speaker 2: It is my dream to have this happen in Canada, like absolute dream. But usually when someone tells me that they can present me with my dream, immediately I'm skeptical because that's just my instinct, like, why are you trying to sell me my dream? This sounds almost This hasn't been done in cannabis that I know of to this extent, and all these breeders are backing it. Can I ask you some questions? So they did get back to me, and to their credit, they called me, they're willing to take questions. I asked the questions like could you tell an S one from blah blah blah, and they said, yes, we can for sure tell an S one from its mother blah blah blah. And they offered me some free testing kids. Now, these were very expensive at the time, so I was like, well, that's nice of them, you know what I mean, Like, that's nice of them. They give me free testing kids. Maybe they aren't so bad, you know.
Speaker 3: But I had some more.
Speaker 2: Questions for them, and I don't recall what they were off off hand. I could look at my email and find them. But I had more questions for them, and I felt like their answer again was super dodgy. So again I became kind of skeptical. I'm more on the skeptical side because like, now they're giving me gifts, they're promising me the world or my dream.
Speaker 3: At least they're.
Speaker 2: Giving me free gifts to so I can see this genetic relation, and still no one's being skeptical anywhere about it. Slowly, but surely, they had someone pop out from their company that was, I want to say, VP of marketing. I might be incorrect, I might be miss speaking on that, but allegedly this person was VP of marketing and it was confirmed later by Pilos, and she had a lot to say about what they could and couldn't do. She said that they have artificially and this is this is her saying this, not me. It's alleged that they had artificially shifted the galaxy, which I don't know anything about. I couldn't prove it, but that was her claim. And she said that, you know, like they showed preference to big spenders, which was interesting. And you know, she said that they don't do long read testing there, which was the most interesting to me because if they don't do long read testing, it means that they're not getting the full genetic read. And later on after talking to someone else as having an explained which I didn't understand at the time, they were having something called short read done. And when you do short read, you're trying to compare a short read to short read, but because of how the clips work, they might not be clipped at the same spot, so you'll never see that same genetic relation. And the reason they were doing short read is because it was cheaper, and Filos allegedly I have to be so careful. Was hiring out a lab to do the testing. They were not an actual lab. They were having other people do the testing. So again it was it was trying to save money and it shortcut their data so hard that they weren't able to do what they were claiming allegedly. Now, how we were able to test.
Speaker 3: It was, I was going to just make sure that you get into.
Speaker 2: The allegedly someone sent in someone that I trust that that's a very good librariy and sentence samples two filos of a parent plant and S one of that plant you know, and uh some other stuff, and like hybrids of that mother plant that they made the S onees of just to see like how these were coming back, and yeah, they were coming back. Not related at all, not even a little bit like the mother. The two parent plants of one of the hybrids came back is not being related and none of them were related to each other, which we knew was incorrect, but because we wanted to be through, we assumed that we had somehow messed up and started from scratch, just to be sure that we got the right cuts from the right mom sent them in labeled correctly, so always operating on the assumption that we were incorrect, you know, and we did this I think three times total, where we went back and forth with them. They're like, no, our science is perfect, blah blah blah, these are obviously not related. You must have made a mistake. And was Okay, well, we're gonna go ahead and do this, redo this again. We're gonna make sure there's no mistakes and send it in second time, same thing, third time, bam, same thing, And unfortunately a week later, Filo shut down their genetic testing after their third response because it was harding to get serious. Because if someone promises they can do something very loudly as their marketing as I understand it, they need to then deliver on that science. If the science cannot do what they're claiming it does and they take money for this service, I think that puts them in a really awkward position even a few years later, like because they're still operating as the same company. So it's always interested me. But the problem is no one's really able to or speak really speaks out about this because again everybody seems like they are scared of confronting this corporation. But it doesn't do any good. To be quiet about it because so many people are basing their conclusions on this allegedly bunk genetic data. And the thing that was real weird was that some stuff lined up pretty well and that was cool, but a lot of stuff didn't. And the problem is with data like that, when you have erroneous data, you cannot use any of it because you cannot pick and choose what you think work by bias, and that's what would happen, So you have to toss it all this.
Speaker 3: For me, right, like just thinking about the way that you you guys tested them. Right. For me, what's buzzy is that from their point of view, from like a risk management point of view, they should have known that this was possible and that someone would do this surely. So I'm also kind of still be amused about how this unfolded because I'm like, surely that's such a myopic strategy what they were doing if they knew what they were doing fully anyway, I think someone at some point would do this.
Speaker 2: I think maybe like if I had a theory, if my own theory, I have no basis other than feelings for this theory. So don't vote me allegedly all that jazz sarcastically, speculation.
Speaker 3: All of it.
Speaker 2: I would I would think the higher ups maybe didn't understand the science or relying on the people doing the testing and stuff to tell them how it was going to work, and those people didn't understand fully understand the cannabis genome. Yeah, just like all the just like all the other agricultural people that come into cannabis, thought they were going to take over our industry with a bunch of PhDs and then all failed out and flunked out of cannabis and caused the cannabis collapse. So you know, like it's it's not just them that assumed all cannabis people were stupid. All PhDs that I know did that came into our field. Not all, but like a good portion of them, you know, like enough to make it a good generalization to be pretty accurate to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, Filos out of this whole, out of this list of databases we're going to go through, is the biggest bummer for sure.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The other ones are kind of like, you know, like their pros and cons. You know, some of them are like middling in some way, but also they've done certain things that are quite cool. This one is just like really really kind of hot breaking because the promise was so incredible, but the under delivery was so severe that like, there's just no salvaging it. I feel like I also wanted to say that, you know, we talked a little bit about You asked me a little bit about my personal journey into the information space on the Name Game episode and actually completely forgotten that these websites were really important for me too. And the Fireless Galaxy. When I first saw it, I was just like, oh my god, that's the coolest thing ever. And I couldn't believe it, and come to find, of course that I shouldn't have believed it as well. It was because what you could see. I'll just say this, you know the galaxy. I don't know for people who haven't encountered it. The galaxy is this visualization of supposed relationships between all these various plants in the database. It's like a graph what you call a graph, not not like a chart, but like a network graph of nodes and links. And why I didn't want to highlight this is because I did take some inspiration from that for our codex. Even though you know, I was still very much a work in progress. There was something about that visual model that I wanted to capture, and yeah, it was just you know, if Filos actually delivered, I think who knows what the downstream consequences would have been if they had actually done what they said they would do. But yeah, it was it was a place that I liked to go into for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one of the other problems is that so many breeders, like serious breeders, have taken this data, and I find myself doing it because just like everyone else, even though I was really skeptical, I was digging through the galaxy because I was still so interested, right, because the data is still there, like it could be real. I was so interested in it because this is everything I want. It answers all the potentially answered all the questions that I had about my passion, you know what I mean. So a lot of us made conclusions based on this data and spoke very matter of factly because the science was telling us this right, And even though we currently understand now at least from our perspective, that it's not reliable, I still find myself having to go back and be like, oh wait, that's not the parent to that, Why do I still think that I know that that's not correct. That it happens daily, absolutely daily, I'll be in conversations with other breeders and we'll be talking and we'll both know that this is bullshit, and we'll still make like be like, well, you know Pilos did say, and then we'll catch ourselves be like, and it really happens. That's how That's how deeply we trusted the science, and how much as a man I consider yourself a man of science, how much I normally trust science? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I when I found it, I was just like, oh, finally, finally I found it. Kind of vibe yeah, And I'll say this other thing about the galaxy that I was personally really interested in. I think the claim was that, you know, we had that episode on baselines, right, one of the claims was that the galaxy visualization would help you actually like identify what the polls, the different the multiple poles in the gene pool were, right, so like northern lights over there, there's like og over here, and there's train wreck all the way out there. And again, such a dream if it were real, if it, you know, if it actually corresponded with the real thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, before one of the things that made me super skeptical too was as they started adding to filos, they started adding these weird categories that meant nothing. They had like blueberry is a category they had or no, they had blueberry inside hemp. Hemp was a category. O G cush was a category. Hayes was a like it was just weird shit that like this is a whole category, and there were several other that were kind of weird, and then you'd dropped into these categories and they never really It just I don't know who came up with this idea that these felt me.
Speaker 3: I know who it was. It was the same person who came up with the Emerald Cup categories. Yeah, sweets and dreams, bro Sweets and Duram we got the same guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's It's just like, who is quantifying this as og cush? I'd really like to talk to them? Can we can we have this discussion? Who who made this decision and why is this the scientific conclusion that blueberry is hemp all of a sudden, you know, like it was it was very confusing, But that was just there were so many things like that that constantly popped up with them certain relations they were showing that breeding showed completely different to me, like the fact that they they had rkle not being related to cookies at all, Oh G cush not related to cookies, and it was just like uh thaie a Thai land race as O G. Cush clone just by Rob Clark no less, which I you know, I I love Rob Clark. That's that's one of my heroes of cannabis. But it was all so confusing and I didn't understand what was going on with the data. But it was a lot of a lot of things that weren't quite conclusive, contradicting each other. I don't know, that's that's the best way to put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I did want to just also point out here if everyone that unfortunately, you know, in the past episodes we've tried like sharing Matt's screen and going through the web pages and all that, but you know, unfortunately YouTube doesn't like that at all, so we can't do that. It would have been a great episode to do that on but sadly, kind of if you want to, if you feel like it, pull these websites up as we're talking about them and have a look for yourself.
Speaker 2: It's kind of stifled the reviews too, for if your chir reviews and all kinds of stuff. Now, so you will have to figure some stuff out, but we will.
Speaker 3: We will. Yeah, anything else about filus before we move.
Speaker 2: Just that it's it's again like i'd say, the number two cannabis dirty secret other than the bait and switch, Like it's it's up there as being like the dirty secret a lot of us know about, but like everybody's terrified to talk about for whatever reason, because people get mad because so many people have based conclusions on this blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Wait, corporation, question from me, is the website still there? Can people actually still go and see it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I do know they stopped after that a literal week, and I don't know, maybe it was no correlation at all. I'm sure they're going to say there was no correlation to it. But a week after me and this other person that's taken very seriously in our community in front of them about the results, they said, no longer doing genetic testing, shutting down, going into auto flowering, blah blah blah, see you, and that was it, you know, Yeah, it was weird. It was super weird and the timing was super interesting.
Speaker 3: I just looked at it. The website is still there, but like it's quite different now, and yeah, the whole three D galaxy thing has gone, so they yeah they've kind of like, yeah, gotted it.
Speaker 2: And that's weird, right, Like think about all the money that went into that developing it. Why would they take that down? Ever? Why would they do that? Like really think about that?
Speaker 3: If that's yeah, yeah, I would say this money wise, Yeah, there's not a small amount of money like the people who did the web development for that, that would not have been cheap there.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is like, you know, like didn't people pay for this data? Like what what the hell? Like if you they paid for it to be up there, it's gone, Like that's interesting. But I mean I guess they did tell everyone to download your data getting rid of it, and I figured I figured at that point, Oh, they're getting rid of it because they don't want to get see allegedly h.
Speaker 3: M, I we did you want to gesture towards I don't. I don't think you mentioned this. Wasn't there also a controversy or around how they were going to use it, or like rumors about how they were going to use it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So that that's what I like called the swerve with them was that like they kept acting like they were being inappropriately attacked by people, and some people were like going public and saying, hey, they're going to get your genetic data and rebuild that clone from nothing. They really thought that they could take like genetic data and like plug it into a I don't know, tissue or a cell and regrow their clone from that genetic data, which isn't even possible.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like no, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody with any scientific understanding was accusing them of this. But they were just like you'd see them just raging back anytime they were on any kind of podcast talking about, yeah, we would never steal genetic data because we can't do that, blah blah blah. But like when I was going after them and I and having real questions for them and talking about what they just were saying and doing, that was contradicting just what on that, But yeah, we would never you know, rebuild from the It's like nobody's saying that, nobody important, nobody wody's serious to saying that, but we are saying some other stuff. Why won't you address this? And yeah, I don't know, Like the people behind Filus were super nice and that sucks because like I could have had a nice friendship with some of them. I imagine in another life, you know, had it not been something where something I'm so passionate about was so played with by what I considered maybe allegedly cultural vultures. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if any of you, by the way, have had experiences with Filos, definitely tell us about it in the.
Speaker 2: Comments comment below, if you ever had your stuff tested by Filos and let us know what your feelings are. Do you think it was real? Do you do you trust their data and why? Yeah? I'm interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, even or even if you're like me, just like a you know, armchair whatever theorist, you know, tell tell us how you feel about you know, what eventuated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm super interested to see the comments on this one.
Speaker 3: Super interested. Yeah. I mean, otherwise we can move on to Leafly if you're ready. Matt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leafly, shit, I don't even remember when they popped up, but like they were probably one of one of the biggest I think out of all these sites other than filos, which was like a mega corporation, but as far as like advertising marketing money spent on stuff like that, I'd say they were a much bigger website and probably generated a lot more revenue overall than filosh for other companies and themselves. I would imagine they were kind of like a strained database where they listed what they felt were popular strain names, and they would give you blanket like generic data about like how much percent Indica and how much percent sativa or if it was all Lindika or all sativa. You know, most most of the time it would just say Indica, sativa or hybrid, you know. And yeah, it would tell you like, oh this helps with your anxiety and pain, blah blah blah. We give it a score of six point four out of nine, you know what I mean. Like it was stuff like that, and it was real goofy. Yeah, yeah, I don't know where they got the data, Like there's like I agreed with very little on the site ever, And I remember, uh, there was a funny picture of a j from Sour Fail and he had a pillow that strainly had or I'm sorry Lethley had sent him. He had a pillow Leafley had sent him that said, uh, sour diesel and had like the S and then it had I in the corner for Indica and he's like sours, you know, like I just remember that really distinctly and kind of just snicked funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I don't want to add a couple of things. So I believe a lot of the information is crowdsourced, so like not okay, I think that the like effects section and the smell and flavor section. What they do is, like I think anyone can fill out like a survey, and then they aggregate this crowdsourced information and present like the aggregated results like the top you know, like the top scoring things from their reviews. On the one hand, it's kind of an interesting concept because as we know, these things are very subjective and so okay, like being charitable. I can see why one would think that's cool. We'll just survey lots of people, and the more people, the more information we get than the better information is, which sort of makes sense in a broad in a broad way, real quick, real quick.
Speaker 2: Let me interject this is also something that Pilos had done when they were talking about their legacy clones, and it was one of my main questions that I was asking, like, how are you determining your legacy clones? How does that work? And they were crowdsourcing. I mean, as I understand it, they were crowdsourcing. And if they got a bunch of people entering the same cut as kim D for example, that's legacy KMD. That's the real one original because so many people had it must be real. And we know that this is like a in cannabis. This is a big no no because a lot of times the most past cut is the fake one, you know, like it just uncirculator. One stays here and another one goes out to the masses for twenty dollars a clone at a local dispensary. Anyway, I wanted to add that part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And again, like you know, like I was saying, broadly speaking from a high level, it looks like a somewhat sound strategy for the subjective, you know, getting some subjective information in a more objective fashion. Sure, but when you consider the idea that like the people who are writing reviews of quote called og kush and the likelihood of them actually having the same you know, the actual same cut or the same flower. Sample is so low that ultimately you don't really know what they're talking about. You have no idea whether they're actually all talking about the same thing or not. Yeah, exact. The other thing I would say about no, no, no, I was going to say that one of the major I think differentiating factors with Leafley as well. I think, out of all of these, it's the most mainstream one, I think, and it's more targeted at like end consumers. I think, yes, people midway of the chain, you know or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No growers really yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know many growers who, like even the people who were brand new knew that that Leafly was silly. Like that's just you know what I mean, Like, if you're a grower, you already know that that's incorrect just by happenstance. I just thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The the other thing that's worth pointing out as well is that they do have lineage information. And I'll tell you something funny. I have a really really good memory of going there years ago now and seeing that I'm pretty sure, I'm pretty sure that their og kush was still following that, like what is it lemon Taye Pakistani? But I did look at it last night, and they had improved, like some of the entries, Like I remember like they had some fake stuff for Kem Dog as well that they've made up and now it's all gone and they just say it's like dog but unknown. So they've it looks like they've made some effort to clean some things up. Good for them, because have you had you've had some interactions with them? Have you met?
Speaker 2: No, they're the ones that I've had like zero interactions. Okay, yeah, gotcha, Corp Corp.
Speaker 3: What else were they gonna say about these guys?
Speaker 2: I remember them being involved with the Seth Rogan goofy shit when he popped up with that allegedly houseplant satire crap, and uh was doing his Kim Dowg, the sativa Kim Dowg, his house plant sativa named Kim Dowg.
Speaker 3: I did want to pull on one thread, which is something you mentioned in the name agame of episode, which is like the possible risks in saying that this quote unquote strain and again like you know they don't distinguish, is this like oh no, that could be wrong. I think they do say whether it's a clone or like a line. But the danger in them saying, hey, this strain is has these effects and it's like somehow really reducible to these and like it's easy to quantify them like this and that you mentioned, you know, one of your questions in the Name Game episode was like, can we really call these systems like proper for more medical systems? Yes, And the problem with Leefly is that they really make it look like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's dangerous. Bro to me, that's dangerous. I think it's like like in another world that's probably pretty like it would be legal grounds too, Like it's scary, and I don't think they want to be in that position. I don't think they intend to be in that position. I think they're trying to help, but like they just don't understand what the thing that they are talking about. They don't understand the thing that they are the professing to be the all knowing narrators of being what they are and how they present themselves. They don't even understand the basics of it. If they can't, if they're telling you how this is going to affect you, you know, the strain that you got at the collective name. This is going to affect you this way? Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: No way? Yeah yeah, I mean on the on the on like a hold, I put it on like a more positive note. One thing that it does show me, if nothing else, is how many people still actually do care about this information. Yeah that's so low. So that's a nice thing. Like people are some people are buying stuff and wanting to know more, and that's cool even if you're a smokers you know. Yeah, so it does. It does gest towards something I hope bitter, but yeah, yeah, it is what it is. It is. I don't know if there's was there anything else about Leafly.
Speaker 2: That you know, they're just so sat tired, fucking goofy that like it's one of those ones where I wish again, like I wish shows like this would capture the interest of the end user. But I'm not sure there will ever be a case where that many people are that interested in what they're smoking and why it could potentially be affecting them the way they are. Maybe, you know, like I just don't see it. Most people just are like I don't care what it is, just put it in the bolt, give it to me, you know, I think that's typically how it goes.
Speaker 3: I think, h how'd I put it. I think there will be some percentage of the population that at least once some differentiating like information, you know, to be able to at least help make the decision. I like to hope that there's like a oops, that there's still like a significant number of people who do care to a degree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope so, but I just you know, actually I take you know what I will say, I've been very surprised with the past year, just within the past year, how many people have showed up and seem to deeply, deeply.
Speaker 3: Care about that.
Speaker 2: And that's been surprising because I've never really seen it be more than twenty in my life at a time. And it's you know, even with the forums and stuff, there are people that acted like they were super serious about it, but like when you would get into serious discussions with them about why something is or isn't, like in the serious strain discussions, if you went against anything that they believed, like hell no, bro, fuck you, you know what I mean. So nobody was really I don't know, it was always a really small group of people that were trying to like destroy their own bias too confront their own biases.
Speaker 3: I think I could frame that in a way. Okay. I think how I see that is that people will make some minimal effort to find out something. Yeah, wh the information is good or not, it's probably beyond their effort. And if you tell them that it's not good information, a lot of people just don't want to expend any more energy. They just want to have just want to like cozy up with the idea that they originally had, that they were happy with, and they don't want you to like ruin their fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's accurate.
Speaker 3: Uh, Okay, Well, if there's nothing else on leafle we can move on to one that you know, I still feel quite sentimental about, which is seed find a dot EU.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What do you want me to start with them?
Speaker 3: Uh? Maybe just a general, like a very broad description of like what kind of information you can find there.
Speaker 2: So seed Finder is one of the more I think serious attempts at trying to capture genetic data presented from the breeder side as more of a database, Like it's more of a database for seed buyers and breeders, people who are deeply interested in seeds and when it started. That's mainly what it was. It wasn't a big advertisement, it wasn't a big money maker. And yeah it's cool.
Speaker 3: Oh that's actually a sorry that that's maybe something we should make a bit more explicit about leafy as well. One of the driving incentives is definitely like cross marketing.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a big, big, big thing. Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so next to you you're on your like flower you know, your your plant strain entry. They're going to be like I imagine like dispensaries where you can get this, you know, blah blah seed companies where you can get this. Yeah, so seed Finder, Yeah, like Matt was saying, seemed mostly to be about lineage. They do have like a a lot of them do have these like quite long form descriptions which are pretty cool, you know, accuracy aside. They do have little sections on effects as well, I believe, but it doesn't seem like it's much of the focus. Yeah, like Matt was saying, seems to mostly be about lineage and then some maybe some growing, some reading information I can't remember.
Speaker 2: For while they were in integrading like forum data and pictures and stuff like that, so little it was really helpful for a while as far as like the best you could get, and for a long time. I mean it's still the best you can get, you know, like it's one of the best for doing it, regardless of accuracy. What they put together was special for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just to make the point as well, I think it was also partly crowdsourced, or semi at least semi crowdsourced.
Speaker 2: So when it started, they contacted me directly and they and they asked me if I would add my strains to their site, and I told them, I'm sorry. And they were such a small site. I didn't know what was going on with them at the time, frankly, and I wasn't gonna put a lot of time into someone else's website, so I was trying to run my forum and ship, you know, and grow and take cuts all that stuff. So I wasn't really into that. But they were kind enough to add a lot of my strains for me and import a lot of the the pictures and descriptions and stuff like that. So like, I have a very very like soft spot in my heart for them because they were very kind to do that. They took the time to do that, and they did it pretty I mean fairly something is wrong, but like you're gonna get a lot wrong when there's like two hundred things to add, so like, I don't fault them for a lot of bad stuff that they got wrong with mine, and they were they're very kind to people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely struck me as like a fairly or you know, relatively earnest project. And I think there's still a real charm about going to it because it looks so like nineties. I don't know, it looks like it definitely looks like it's from the Forum era like this, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if it's like done out of Spain or something. Thing. It has a lot of like Spanish and Central European seed banks linked to it and like advertised all over it. Yeah, but I don't know some of the some of those banks are kind of shifty too, so it's kind of weird.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a bit of a time capsule. I went onto it last night again as well, and it looks exactly the same. I don't expect it to change ever ever, But again I think I did also do another comparison like I did on Leefly, where I was like, oh yeah, I remember looking at this information here and it was quite wrong. I couldn't even tell you what it was. Maybe it was like cookies or something. Maybe it was like gelato or just one of those. Yes, And I think that they had improved it as well. So what's interesting is that somehow people are still running it and that's kind of cool, yeah, because these things quite a lot of work to maintain.
Speaker 2: My last interaction with them it was several years ago, and I was reaching out to them because I had a wild idea of doing a private genetic database for myself, because I was going through their stuff and I was realizing, oh my god, this has gotten so crazy. So people have put in here that they've made, that they've created, what names they've attributed to themselves, what clones they've claimed to use, and it had gotten so crazy. So I wanted to buy their software to use privately and like sign NDAs or whatever I needed to do to get them to sell it to me, just to be able to use it for myself, for myself and to show friends like hey, here it is and I'm the only one that can add to it. But never got a response, And I understand that because this is this might be their you know, livelihood, So why would they do that. This is a very highly developed in programmed site. So yeah, that was that was the last time I tried to talk to them. But yeah, props to them either way. Like I wasn't salty about it. If I were in their shoes, I probably would have ignored it too.
Speaker 3: Hot, Yeah, yeah, I should say as well. Definitely a lot of kudos to them. You know, like any approach has trade offs, you know, even hours will and for them, you know, they were able to get a lot of data, a lot of it is probably quite good data. But I imagine, you know, the drawback of any kind of crowdsourcing endeavor is it's hard to say that everything's been you know, vested in the same way, that everything's as reliable as everything else exactly. It's just just one of the trade offs. Really.
Speaker 2: It is a very cool when you do it that way. Literally, people were pretending to have seed companies that never existed, pretending to make seeds that were never made, and made up a fake backstory that they could come back check, you know, years later, yeah and start companies. Oh yeah, I made this back then. Look at my entry on seat like like shit, you would't even believe or even think to you, you know, but yeah, that's the kind of stuff that comes from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again I'm sure like they would have tried, you know, but when when it's set up like that, and when that is the strategy, there's there's definitely a limit how much you can go and vet. Like, there's so much data on there, there's just no way someone could go and come through all of it and verify all of it. So yeah, yeah, yeah. The other thing I'll point out that I liked, from like a information representation standpoint, they did have quite a neat way of setting out lineage to a degree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, the visual presentation of it's.
Speaker 3: Great, Yeah, it was great. The only thing is that I think that their format did preclude like more complex families or like you know, representing the complex family as well, because it's like a uh, that's what I would it's like a tree structure, yes, but some families are weirder than that.
Speaker 2: How could they ever have imagined freakin' uh, what's it called wedding cake? How could they ever have imagined that? Like you, if you go look at the genetics for this this plant. It's like nine pages long of just like a tree of cookies, cross back to cookies, to cookies, to cookies to cookies.
Speaker 3: Oh g the cookies.
Speaker 2: It's just it's too it's wild man, some blue power in there, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I definitely have like fun memories of spending you know, many many an hour on the website.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: Stop one second, go click like somewhere mhm, and click subscribe.
Speaker 2: And then the little bell thing right there and then we're good.
Speaker 3: Good, Okay, back to the show and anything else you wanted to say about seed Finding.
Speaker 2: No, just that it was, you know, it's it's what most people consider the best attempt so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shout out, yep, respect, respect strainly. So I'll say this, Matt before you get into it. Like, I didn't know much about this one because it's more of a marketplace and and any kind of marketplace always has a serious bias towards North America. So I was just like, it's not really for me. But I did go and look at it for the first time, like really in any depth, like last night. But yeah, before this, I didn't really know what it was.
Speaker 2: I'm interested to hear your take on it, bro, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't look too deep. I was like, Okay, they're trying to be like the eBay of cannabis. Like they do auctions right, and like they do grow gear, they do seed, they do clones. Yeah, so pretty pretty comprehensive in terms of like stuff that you can get, but also kind of like the other websites, really quite overwhelming, Like you get lots and lots and lots of brands. It seems like almost anyone quote unquote can have stuff on there. So maybe a little bit like okay, how do I tell like who's legit and who's not. In terms of the target market, it's definitely not as mainstream as leafly, but yeah, so it's more about growers and breeders than like, yeah, smokers whatever. They also sell a pollen I noticed.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's a new one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's what I found just you know, having a quick look at what can you tell us smet about it?
Speaker 2: So like, oudam, all these people. I have the most interaction with these dudes, and it's I can't even say, like there are things that I've found that about their site from the jump, like they contacted me asked me if i'd sell on their site, and I was like, I don't know, bro, those kind of shady I don't know you. They have had a lot of bad experience by this point. And they sent me a thing and asked for my Social Security number, and I was like, guys, like who are you? And they then, you know, they told me who they were and more about them, and I understood why what was going on, And they're not bad dudes. There are a couple of really nice programmer guys like this is their side job. They do this as their hobby. Like it's not a big company at all. It's just a couple of really nice programmers and they just there from another country. They didn't understand like the complexities of asking like black market growers for their social because what they were trying to do is make it easier for people to sign up for to receive credit card payments. So that's what the social would be used for, signing you up for a virtuant account blah blah blah. But yeah, it also left them room for a lot of liability, right, So I talked to him about it, and like they were like, oh my god, I hadn't thought about it from that angle, the liability. No, no, we're going to try to figure out a work around for this, And they actually went around trying to figure it out when Filos. When I was battling Filos, and I said, no one had my back. It's not entirely true, because after about six months, strainly had my back and they came out and you know, made a big public announcement on their site about why this is incorrect, what's going on here, blah blah blah. And you know, I had a lot of admiration for that, because it it's not easy to take stands in this in this community, and at that time, there was no the pros and cons for standing up against a corporation. There were no pros, all cons, and they did it anyways because it was the right thing to do. So I just you know, I've run into problems where people pretend to have my seeds on there and are selling fake versions of my packs. But like if I let them know, they'll that person's gone. They'll never sell on that side again, you know what I mean. So I can't like they're doing their at least due diligence, and if people report it they they'll they'll handle it, so I can't say anything bad about them. In fact, like I have nothing but kind warm feelings for those.
Speaker 3: Dudes for sure. Yeah, And I mean I'll say this as well, because it's a marketplace. Their primary motivator is not necessarily data in there, you know, in the same way as like seed Finder or leefly Direct. Yeah, just about facilitating you know, transactions exactly.
Speaker 2: Easily facilitate transactions between person to person for you know, cannabis, genetics or.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, which makes a lot of sense because those things are difficult.
Speaker 2: It's necessary and that's the thing, Like despite my own stuff being like fake versions of my stuff being sold on there all the time, because I think it's necessary and I think it's hella like piraty and like cool to do. Like I can't hate on it at all. There's nothing I can negative I can say about this. I'm like, that's kind of punk rock either way, you know, like everybody's going to get fucked to some degree. But like I think overall, I think it's a neat experience and we need the ability to do person to person buying, and realistically it's buyer beware and if you're not doing your research, then that's on you, you know, Like so in that sense, I'm also very supportive of what they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly what it's going to point out that the onus is less on them and on you know, everyone else who's in the community to be vesting each other. It's more of a peer peer review process. We'll see exactly. Like like like if you're like a dickhead on eBay, you know you're not going to get very far.
Speaker 2: So luckily they are way more responsive than eBay. I'm really there's they've been so cool over the years, so I yeah, I'll shout out to them out.
Speaker 3: So what's cool about what we're doing? I think today I didn't really realize is so it's a little bit of a history on like these different like online projects, whether they're about like e commerce or data or you know, like this has been the recent you know, ten to twenty years of cannabis in the internet age, in the social media age. And yeah, it's because you know, we talk a lot about social media, but we haven't talked about some of these websites before. So I think now that we're getting into it, like this is really cool yeah, and this is definitely stuff that I didn't really think about us discussing before, so I'm glad we got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, people people are probably used to hearing me, and I talked with someone about this earlier. Like I'm often like dismissed because I'm called the hater of the industry, you know, because I don't people ask me questions about certain breeders, and like it really does from a lot of perspectives from people who don't know, like sound like I just hate everyone, Like I just am dismissive of everything and everyone, But in reality, I have a lot of like personal interaction with a lot of these people, and it's nice to be able to say something nice about good people in the industry because I really, unfortunately feel like it's so far and few between as as a gray area, like that's what you get. It draws a lot of people like that and you have to compete with them in the same marketplace, in the same industry and the same passion in this case, which is really really screwy for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not like we have a perfect thing to show, you know, our codex while exactly of course, really excited to talk about it and to launch and share it. Of course serious limits. So sure, no one, you know, no one's going to get this perfect, at least not anytime soon. From what I can tell, we will. We will, But like Matt was saying, definitely worth shouting out all the like cool cool effort and work and time that people have put into this.
Speaker 2: One thing I wanted to say before Filus had their their visual galaxy, seed Finder had their galaxy, it was visual, so I will say that part too.
Speaker 3: It actually started with nice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just Filus Firelus Galaxy had all the like bells and whistles. It was like, sure did it was three D and like you could fly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was three D in the same way, but it was I don't know where it went. It was like a star map type thing on seed Finders.
Speaker 3: Gone.
Speaker 2: I think it's gone. I'm not sure. I don't want to say, but I think I had a hard time finding it at least last time I looked for it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I ever saw it.
Speaker 2: That was there from the site start. It was really nice, and that's what I really wanted because it was a beautiful representation of it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll say this, maybe I don't know how necessary or a little barb it is, but you know, one thing that can be said about seed Funder and Strainly, I think you can kind of feel the passion there a bit more, Like you can kind of tell that these people who like really care and like just trying to help and not saying that Leaflely and Filos don't care all or don't want to help it all. But like you can kind of see that there are other motivating factors with those two websites.
Speaker 2: In the comments below, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on all of these sites, whether it's Strainly, your your experiences exchanging stuff on there, you know, Leefley. I'm sure we're gonna have plenty of funny stories about Leafley and people's experiences there. Yeah, so please tell.
Speaker 3: Us if nothing else do Strainly Matt, I do want to give a couple of shout outs to one broadly, the forums of course, Like we've talked about the forums plenty as far as they go as sources of information, obviously very important, but also obviously extremely noisy and.
Speaker 2: Yeah and extremely complete, extremely incomplete now as well there's noisy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know forums, there's no formalization of the data. There aren't like formal models or maps or anything like that. You know, just people talking. So obviously still a very important site of exchange and information and irreducibly. So I wanted to point out one other place that I don't know many people know about, and it's called grow Diaries, And it sounds a bit naff, but why I like it is that they don't do that thing where they say, ah, here is keem dog and then it's like anyone growing, like any kind of thing that has vaguely got to do with cam or says it has to do with chemis under it. What they do is clever. They say, we go by company and product, and so you can specifically look at like say you've bought something, you're looking at buying something. You can actually go and look at that particular brand or seed company or breeder, look at people who are actually growing those seeds and not like any kind of weird white label version. And the other thing I like about how they present information is that they've structured They structure it so that like you can kind of choose which week of the grow you want to go and look at anytime. To me, they've got an example of like good structured information about someone's grow historically, and I don't see it presented like that anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Are they're good growers in there?
Speaker 3: I can't say that, Like, I think it's definitely a range. It's it's definitely any like anyone anyone can rock up and just show.
Speaker 2: Are there are a lot of veteran growers and breeders on there.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering. I don't know. I don't know well enough to be able to tell you that.
Speaker 2: I wonder.
Speaker 3: It suffers from some of the same limits as the others, Like it also does that thing where it tries to aggregate like effect information or like they survey like the grower and it's like, okay, what did you smell? What what effects did you see? But I think they don't they don't make as bold a claim like they don't. What they don't do is they don't try to like abstract from everyone and say like this is the data. They just say, this is this person's started, that's that person's dot.
Speaker 2: To me that as a grower, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I mean I think it's like an honest way to present information, you know, whatever information that you have without overstating it. At the same time, you know, it's still also definitely caters towards a more mainstream, growing audience.
Speaker 2: If you go on that site. I could almost bet without even going to it that like is like in a greenhouse benefit just bam, bam bam the top the top. Is that what it like?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The most you know, all those big brands will definitely have the most growers and the most diaries.
Speaker 2: Because they represent the biggest part of the marketplace.
Speaker 3: Has to great. Yes, so would be able to find riot seeds? I bet I think you could, but it may not be as many Humboldt as well. Yeah, but again, you know, a point of difference here is that it's specific to the product, It's specific to the breeder, and you don't have to deal with the weird like what what do I call it? Like kind of conflation of varying. Yeah, see, like seed products from all kinds of different people. Yeah, was it thing else I wanted to say about these guys? I think even though I didn't take that much from the website, it did give me an idea that, like, there are different ways to model cannabis information.
Speaker 2: This is actually pretty.
Speaker 3: Cool structured way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a bad say, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: I think it's novel. I don't think anyone else has done it like them, And I.
Speaker 2: Thought that was cool. No, it's just decent. It's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So shout out to grow Diaries and check them out.
Speaker 2: Decent, decent, decent side. Like I was like, oh that ready to knock. I'm like, you know what, it's just probably gonna be on nubes and like a like a roller up blah blah blah. It's not bad. It's not bad. I'm an idiot. It's not bad at all. No.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like an improved version of like a forum growth thread. Yeah, you know, like you know, like everyone you know, grow diaries are forums obviously very popular. But again the problem is that, like it's very hard for you to come through the data in any kind of structured way.
Speaker 2: I'm bro. But all the riot seed stuff in here is Club Riot Seeds whatever.
Speaker 3: That is Club Riots.
Speaker 2: So there's some seed company called Club Riot Seeds that popped up within the last like year or two, and I saw it and I was like, I was like, all right, I can't even get out of that. That's that's hilarious, bro, that's hilarious that they didn't even think to look up like their name might conflict with another breeder like that and there and like all these pictures.
Speaker 3: I think I found one from you strawberry cream.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's mine, that's not theirs. But look at their stuff, bro, it's like all auto flower.
Speaker 3: I'll link it in our chat. You can have a look. This might be the like one grow that's actually like one of your actual products.
Speaker 2: That's funny that I did Cherry gmoz too. I think it's up there, but yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So maybe you have a couple of people growing you stuff. Yeah, it may be one of those and maybe one of those websites that's like we don't know, maybe like more European growers or I don't know, you know.
Speaker 2: It does club right, see shout out club right.
Speaker 3: Shut out club rights.
Speaker 2: I can't even hate on him, like they're probably they're probably for another country and don't have a clue who I am, and I don't expect I don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, let's not assume that they they knew.
Speaker 2: There's any malice, No not at all. I doubt it. Doubt it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any you know anything else meant while you were on there? Anything else?
Speaker 2: No, it just looks kind of decent though. Yeah. You know there's an American Auto Flower cup coming up apparently here in LA which is crazy. I never heard of that, Talis. Yeah, you go, yes, I c s I and his auto flower. He's going to jump into it. Wait, you'll see, he's probably gonna be there. What we'll see, We'll see we got projects.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting leak that not expect Oh wait, what was the last I think I had something else? Okay, Yeah, what was gonna say is that if I were going to set up like a like a grow database, it'll be like this, It'll be I would definitely take a cue from that, you know, Yeah, because I can already as a as a as a developer, like I can already see the way they've structured the data. You could actually do lots of multiple stuff with how they've structured the data.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Yeah, Oh, shout out to soul Ray for being like one of the only dudes to grow my stuff on there like decent. Yeah, so shout out to someone for Repinus not it's not closed. Yeah, and whoever else the other person, I can't see fire in fire out, Yes to them too.
Speaker 3: If nothing else, we can move on to the codex. Finally do it our codex. So, Matt, I don't know. Do you remember how it got started?
Speaker 2: Vaguely? Vaguely?
Speaker 3: You tell me what you remember.
Speaker 2: I remember you asked me if there is anything I had ever like tried to want to build or something. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll give more context because I remember some other weird things about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was like right after Christmas, like everyone was in that like weird like post Christmas PREMI years like, hey, that's familiar at a loose end a bit, maybe people just chilling. I think you were talking to Quasia about a database or like having thought about Yeah, that's right, And I think so it started with you two, and then I think I just was like, I think Quasi had some like pretty sophisticated ideas. I was like, well, if we wanted to do like a a simpler version of this, I could see how we could do it, and I could you know, I couldn't prototype something pretty quickly. Yeah, And it was pretty wild, just like you were just like, yeah, do it. Yeah, yeah, I mean like time, Ye're good? Did you even we didn't even know each other, I don't think.
Speaker 2: No, not really. No, we didn't have a lot of interaction right before that.
Speaker 3: No. And I wonder if you actually thought anything would come of it at the time.
Speaker 2: I didn't. When when someone had asked me that, like if I had any if I could have anything built, what would it be? And I was like, well, the one thing we all need is like a reliable genetic database, and you know, and I talked about the philosophy behind it, and I I was kind of like offhand statement. It was late at night, like I didn't really think much of it. And then like within two days there was serious development done to the point where I was like, oh my god, like I've got to start entering stuff because these guys have done so much work. Now I can't like I got to do something like I'm gonna have to act. This is for real and this is serious and like coming together, this is amazing, Like this is some serious stuff and can make and and and I think help help at least be one resource for people to go to that they can Hopefully people will feel as reliable enough, you know, for their data.
Speaker 3: I can tell a bit more of this from my side as well. So do I know that in the US Christmas break isn't that long for people who are working, right, It's like only like a couple of weeks. It's not like the biggest holiday on the planet for you guys, but for us it's it's Christmas happens during summer and like this, you can imagine that, and then the country kind of almost shuts down for like two months. It feels like, from like December to like fib it feels like the country goes really quiet because people just go out to it, Like people go to the beaches and stuff and chill out.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: So for me, it's always this kind of weird. It's a nice time, but it's kind of like a bit restless. It's weirdly quiet. And I think when the idea came about, so obviously context I'm a web developer, and when the idea came about, like I was like, I've actually done some stuff with similar kinds of data and representing similar kinds of data, like relationships and you know, kind of like network maps of relationships and I was like, you know, I think I could actually like do this pretty quick, or at least have a prototype pretty quick. Yeah, And so I think I just had the I got on the buzz was I had a lot of energy, and I was I had like a manic couple of weeks, maybe like two to three weeks of just smashing it.
Speaker 2: It was insane, bro like, and it.
Speaker 3: They was like I was smashing it.
Speaker 2: It was like you'd be like, you know, is there anything else like you can think of? And then there'd be something I'd pop up and I'd be like I because I some context, I was aware developer in my past life. Here, I know how much a lot of this stuff costs, and I know how much like knowledge it takes to do this stuff. And the asks that I was asking weren't necessarily things that I could achieve easy, but I know how much it would cost to have them implemented. So like when he was asking like these things, I was like, I don't even feel comfortable saying, you know, but and eventually you get it out of me, and then it would be done and like, you know, a few hours, it seems and mind blowing. It was amazing. It was because It was like really watching something come to life. It wasn't a slow progression. It was like boom and it's here, and it's just like this is everything I ever wanted. But now it's like, oh, it's so serious.
Speaker 3: It was a fun period for me. It was like I was on holiday and I got to talk to Matt, who I'd never interacted with, and I was like, this is nuts that we're doing this. But yeah, it was a blast.
Speaker 2: It was. I also will say it was a lot of trust in you for me because you really didn't know me, and I could have been the scumbag that everyone said and just been like yeah, bro, you know, like thanks, nice to know you, you know, but like I really appreciated all that trust you because I knew how much time and not just time, but like that's a labor of love doing something like that, and you're really passionate about cannabis, as it shows, so like this is an actual labor of love, like it is for me. So at the same time, it wasn't just like building it for me. It became our baby. Bro. We had a baby there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, absolutely, And maybe at this point we can state some of their aims because so I think, like what we said before, information like this is very sensitive. It carries a lot of weight, and one thing I I think interp of strategy. One thing I really didn't want to do was ovis state or overrepresent anything. So I knew off the bat we weren't going to be doing like effects, we weren't going to be doing smells and flavors. I was just like, let's stick to our strengths here. Matt has a lot of knowledge from his time, his interactions with people, his actual work, and that's the information we want to present. And we don't want to yeah, over or understate that. You know, we know it's not like genetic or genomic mapping, and we're never going to do that conceivably. So the next best thing was like presenting I don't know, Matt, how would you frame this? Like, how would you frame the information that we have on there? From your point of view?
Speaker 2: The information we have on there by the way I'd frame it is by talking about all the things that I saw wrong with everything else, and like the little steps in my brain I took to like try to beat all that, Like I like the crowdsourcing. First thing that I knew that had to happen was no more crowdsourcing. But I also knew that's probably going to piss a lot of people off and sound very elitist, like that's the first thing that's going to happen is people that are going to feel excluded because their input wasn't taken into account, or they're going to think that that their input wasn't taken into account. And realistically, what my idea was from the beginning was to and I'm sure there's a lot of like perceived ideas about what's going to happen with it, and like the intention behind it and agendas, but realistically, like my idea for it was to have essentially a place where people go look at the most important strains in cannabis. The baselines that we talk about on here land races get realistic, like not just opposed data from people that may or may not be cannabis people over there that are trying to sell seeds and blah blah blah. People who are over there that are researchers that are doing this stuff, that are they have good input are going to be putting in like to the land race part that's not my expertise, So like, but with with my one thing I do know is people because I've been in the scene so long, so it's not necessarily just about my knowledge of strains. It's about my knowledge of people who have the knowledge of those strains most importantly, which is what the show is in a sense, you know, like you bringing those people together to talk, and now this is aggregating that data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you could almost see it like Matt is facilitating curating this database. And you know, obviously a major difference between that and some of the other databases we mentioned is that these people weren't part of the industry conceivably, and we're not there or present when a lot of this was going on. And Matt, Matt is one of those people. So even though, of course, you know, you have the obvious trade off of it being Matt and perhaps like a smaller group of people, one of the benefits you get. So okay, we'll say we'll say straight up there, like we have no no ambitions or delusions about the perfect you know, like how perfect the information is. It's obviously going to be Matt's best account based on what he knows. But what you do get is accountability, transparency, and like responsibility. So you know, this is a work in progress. Matt's not even probably near done, but we're going to launch it, and Matt will conceivably be working on it. Eventually, we might get more people to come and help. So again, the idea is that keeping it to a smaller group of people that we trust will at least introduce a more reliable process of you know, and more reliable feedback loops. So even though the information may not be perfect at any one time, the hope is that we can just keep improving it and that the same people are going to be responsible for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, a lot of it's going to be different than what people perceive. I'm not adding my own strains on there because I don't think my own strains are like the are part of the history of cannabis. I don't think I've done anything that's revolutionary per se. So my strains are not going to be on this site. Presenting them is like like this, these are important, kind of sneak them in the back door. That's not what it's for. It's not like built with an agenda like that. I mean, realistically, what I wanted was something for me to go and resource and I don't need to resource and full on my strains.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really good point. By the way, I think we were building what we wanted to consume ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, looking Adam Bird, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that was so well timed. We we just wanted to ultimately, we wanted to build something that we ourselves would be interested in going and looking at. Yeah, you know, we wanted to build a thing that we dreamed of.
Speaker 2: And and I wanted something I could share with my breeder friends, like as a resource. And that was mainly it.
Speaker 3: Like, oh so sorry, Matt. One more thing that I wanted to just make sure was really clear to people is that we're not trying to have every single cut of hype or noteworthiness on there. It's really about, like what Matt was saying, you can consider it like it's a hall of fame of sorts or like legacy strains or whatever. It's more about that. It's more about impact and history than it is about more plants.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. And and some of the ones with a lot of legend around them that we've tried to crack over the years, like for example, Dog, which you know, is a very controversial strain, and it was one of the ones that took me some time and just thinking about it, I figured out a few ways on how to approach it, because it's not one that I could just approach from this is what we've seen in the plants from my perspective and other a few other breeders' perspectives, and this is what they are. I didn't feel comfortable just doing that. That's one where I feel like it needs to have all of the history with it. The forum posts from Kem Dogg himself, from Peabud, from JJ New York, from everyone that's been involved, all the way up the line, every last one of their quotes, so everyone can make you know, conclusions for themselves based on what these guys themselves said. It helps put a lot into perspective when you have all that stuff, and it helps it also be a more valuable historical resource because it's not just me telling you what I think based on my experience, because that can always be based on faith or agenda. This is me presenting all of not just my own conclusions, but here is all the data that goes with it. Here's their conclusions, here's the story that started with it, and here's where I ended up. So you can totally disregard anything that I have to say. You can absolutely believe that everything you're reading in the forum post and that's fine because they'll be up there for you to read. And that's more of where I want to take it. Yeah, I mean, Keim Doug was a perfect scenario strain for something like that, where it was just like, what is presenting what I think enough? Or do I need to present stuff that I may not necessarily even agree with all the time, but I think it's important maybe to to present that too as as complete as possible and not cherry pick too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And I think the important thing to point out here is that, like me, you know, as someone who works with data a lot in my other life, information and gathering knowledge, it's a process. Yeah, it's first and foremost a process. So if this website can embody that process, that's that's really all, you know, Like I mean not sorry, not that's not all, but like that's that's something that like can be relied upon regardless of the state of information. Yeah, because you know, if you can trust the process, you know at least that the information will be getting validated and proved that there's someone who's actually accountable for it. Like you can you know that Matt's name for better or worse is on those entries. Yeah, And because another thing that's worth saying as well, even though that's Matt's name, Matt is connected with a whole bunch of people who he talks to a lot about these things. So implicitly those people are there. Their names are not necessarily there, but you know, Matt is definitely talking to CSI about this stuff.
Speaker 2: For example, Yeah, there's one of many people that. Yeah, and I'm talking to the people that I highly respect, Like it's not just my opinion on a lot of this stuff, it's the people who I respect and you know, like taking their work and putting it on there, and like you know, like I'm I'm reaching out. Some of them aren't on there because I'm waiting for, you know, CSI to giving back some freaking input, because I don't want to put my my data up there because my frankly, I like I on certain strains, maybe I don't even trust my own experience with him, because maybe I got a specific clone from a dispensary or or even maybe I got it from a source that's good, but maybe it's not as good as his source, and maybe he had a different experience, you know, and I'd rather rather that be up there, because I trust his input more than mine based on just obvious experience, you know, very obvious experience in that case.
Speaker 3: And you know, Matt, like ultimately you also have the freedom to how would I put it, You also have the freedom to like express where they're conflicting perspectives, right, like I think you probably have in some of those entries written life. This is what I think, but some other people think this, and maybe it's a good time for me to actually briefly outline like what you can see on the entries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so, Matt, I left a link to the km dog one in the chat if you want to go and quickly look at it while I'm saying this. But so, the first thing you see, you can see the parents, at least what we know of the parents. You can see the aliases are either the various names this cut or line has had. Yeah, you can see the children and a really important thing that we added. And we'll come back to this anecdote later. Yeah, a bit of us covering. We added what we call information certainty, and this is for Matt to be like, hey, this is wild speculation, Like, don't you know take this with a huge grain, you know, a fistful of salt, or on the other end of it. No, this is like pretty damn certain, Like I'm very confident in this, And so there's a little rating just to kind of indicate like, yeah, how certain mat is. Then there's filial generation. There is whether this is referring to a line or cut, which I think is very important because often that's like very blurry. Yeah, you know, is this a line or is this an individual plant? Yeah, Matt. We've also listed like some of the people we know have either our holding or have historically have been known to have held these plants. Yeah, we have a year of origin, region of origin, broad description, and then we have like I was saying before, my you know, early version of a filos galaxy type thing. Yes, I do want to say that, like, this is what I'm most proud of and most embarrassed of, because you'll notice that you can kind of zoom in on the immediate family, which works pretty well once you go to the extended family. I e. Like the whole tree. It gets pretty crazy. So I'm gonna be that's gonna be a work in progress kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Sure, And I will say this is like one of those things that it's been very hard for me as far as getting other people to be actually do the actual data entry is because when looks, you're at a strain map and how you do it the logic behind it. Like if I just put BLD of unknown origin for example, as a parent, and then linked all these to the parent, then we would have a bunch of unrelated things linked to sisters and brothers, and that's really easy to do. So then I realized everything needs its own variable. But I have to be able to remember in my head those variables, so I don't reuse those variables. So yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, So just to be clear, Matt's talking about a situation where like, yeah, some some some famous plant we know, we can guess that the parent is like yeah, some like NLD BLD, and in the database that becomes its own entry that BLD or NLD whatever it is generic thing. And what Matt's saying is that he has to be careful not to actually assume that that represents the same individual plant. Yes, and he has to distinguish them. So unknown, I'm just I'm just making it up up off the top of my head. But you know, unknown BLD one three five, Unknown BLD twenty seven. You know, Vega just be kept separate. Yeah, you can't be vague even when they're placeholders. Even when their placeholders, we need to be really clear that they are separate placeholders.
Speaker 2: And trying to teach people my syntax of like how I choose which variable in the name, And it's been very hard, very hard. No one's picked it up yet, so and I think it's actually been like kind of some people are like, oh, I'm not even to try, you know what I mean, like because it is it's complicated. The logic of it is complicated, and you can't ever screw it up or the whole thing breaks in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you know, on on that note, you know, I should say we want as much feedback as we can get from people. You know, one thing that I haven't built yet that I really do want to build, that Matt and I discussed last week. There's actually a little like comments feature at the bottom so people can actually say what they think on the page. In the current absence of that, please obviously comment here hit me or Matt up on ig if you have anything to say about any of the entries.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Last couple of things that we have on the Plant pages at the moment is a references section. So the idea here is to link any other kind of content, whether it's like a forum thread, breed, a syndicate episode, anything anything we want to like try to flesh those references out. Again, work in progress. We're not quite there yet, but slowly I think every page will become like a nice little hub of different kinds of information.
Speaker 2: And I think so like, there's great pictures of Kim one through four which are very hard to find, you know what I mean. Yes, so it's a quick reference on stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, photos, Sorry, there are lots of photos. Well, I mean where we have them there? Photos. Was there anything else we wanted to say about what we do have there? Met because otherwise I wanted to move on to like things that I could see coming as well.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's very very much what we just said. So yeah, I think we're good.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Well we haven't even said where it is. I mean, we'll put a link in the description, but I'll say the website is is codex dot the Breeders Syndicate dot com. Correct, so codex dot the Breedersyndicate dot com. It's not been properly indexed on Google yet, but I imagine once we start sharing the links out and people more people share them, yeah, yeah, onto Google soon.
Speaker 2: I've been I've been a little hesitant to put it out because for me, like I wanted to be as complete as possible. But realistically, with everything going on, like the ability to constantly add to it's been taken away from time to time, and it's it's pretty good, and we need to start somewhere, you know what I mean. So I think, uh, I think I'm good with that now.
Speaker 3: So really, what Matt's saying, please be patient, Please be gentle if you can, Mozilla with your feedback. This is still very early. And like Matt saying, and like I said, you know, keep implying, you know, keep saying, it's a process. Yeah, and for any process like this, the more feedback we can get, the better it can be. And yeah, yeah, so hopefully we'll have more feedback mechanisms available on the app itself soon, but otherwise just reach out to us in whatever way you want comment on this video, et cetera. Yeah, man, I'm really on a ramble this one. I guess I've got a lot to say about it.
Speaker 2: That's good. It's good.
Speaker 3: I'll say one more thing, and it's sort of gestures towards future stuff. I kind of had a possible idea that, like, other people could also use this for adding their own entries, i e. If you're a breeder or you know, seed maker or whatever hobbyist and you want to like map you know, some some family of relationships. I thought about opening it up. The problem is that that in itself introduced as a whole bunch of new possible problems like should those entries go into the main like Hall of Fame section? How do we keep people's data like separate? Should it be private? So I haven't really moved on it yet. I think we can guess that it would be popular and that it it would get some you know, uptake, But.
Speaker 2: I would think, yeah, personally, I think just thinking about it, like it would be cool if people could have it as a separate and public thing that they could share if they wanted to only because I was thinking back to a seed finder, like if they would have had something like that, like that would have been really cool, you know, it would have served the purpose, but you know it didn't, So you know, I think that's not a bad idea.
Speaker 3: I can kind of see like two different downstream like implementation implementations of this. One is like we extend what we have, which I have tried a little bit, Like we have had people come on already, and I've tried to be like, okay, maybe we can just let them add stuff to their page, but it doesn't go into the Hall of Fame, but that has other complications. The other possibility is I basically make an alternative version of this that's just for the community, where I rip obviously most of the code, but I change it slightly.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. The difficulty here, I think for me, is that the problem with software is that once you have it up and you're saying that other people can join and stuff, maintenance costs and risk can kind of like really blow out. Oh yeah, yeah, you know, like it's hard to know whether or not we have the capacity to you know, keep building and maintaining those things.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: We'll see. I would say that, like what we've started with is already pretty ambitious, so you'll see how this all unfolds and how the kind of interesting you might get. What else is there to say about it? I don't know if there's much else, you know, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Just just that, you know, like we do want to be inclusive with it eventually, but you know, like to start out, it has to be a certain way to establish the baselines, and a lot of this is just simply me doing data entry from old catalogs that I have too. Some of it is stuff like me getting you know, pictures of Bubba Cush collecting all the info on all the data from everybody. I know that's reliable when it comes to bubble Cush enter all that in, you know, each one, you know, as it relates to like Blueberry go enter everything in every step of the way up, so it's not incomplete, so it never runs into a wall, you know what I mean. So there's a lot of little things like that that I wanted to do to get it right, and I've done a lot of that. So yeah, there's not it's not one big agenda. It's just going to be a historical resource. And you know, when we first talked about it, there's a lot of backlash from people. Some of it was some of it was legitimate, and some of it was just like what it didn't make any sense to me. But I think there's a lot of perception on how people think it's going to be handled and how people think it might turn out. And realistically, I think a lot of people had a lot of perceptions about how breeder syndic it was going to turn out, what the agenda was, and we're totally wrong. So I'm interested to see how this unfolds.
Speaker 3: I'll just say this to add a bit of add a bit of drama, add a bit of spice, and I won't obviously go into the details. But I early on, while I was developing it, you know, I had a little at the time of fairly small Instagram following, and I decided to take a screenshot of one of the pages and just put it up. And it wasn't because necessarily of the information on the page. I just wanted to show what the website was looking like at that point. Proud, Yeah, I was proud of it. Yeah, But unfortunately some people got really offended by it, and it caused a bit of a yeah a scene, and I was just like, oh my god, it was my first taste I think of like the kinds of what I considered to be quite petty drama. Yeah. Yeah, they can arise in this world, and I expect that we will have We'll probably see more of that, right without doubt.
Speaker 2: That was just one picture, oh one of them. Yeah, you know what I mean, like the whole size.
Speaker 3: That is also when we did add the information certainty rating to be like you know, and actually that's a reminder you probably to go through and add those to various entries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do that. Yeah, we'll get that done.
Speaker 3: Get that that ass covering it. Yeah yeah, So I just wanted to relay that little anecdote just to it's just so people have an idea of like some of the dramas that have occurred and probably will will occur once now that we're launching it.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, but yeah, I invite it, like you know, like I don't. I don't undertandly invite drama that's suck, say, nobody wants to deal with that, even my dumb ass doesn't that deals with it. All day doesn't want to deal with it. But I do invite criticism, and I do invite people that have better knowledge than me to give me their input. And that isn't to say that like just because you think your knowledge is better, that I'm going to agree, But it does also doesn't mean that I'm going to disagree. So you'd be surprised. Even sometimes I'm surprised. So feel free to reach out comment below, you know, hit me up on Instagram or a discord.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to be clear, I'm not trying to incite drama. I'm saying that we would hope to see not as much drama, but I'm expecting some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, Yeah, I'm not I'm not scared of it, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, I don't have anything else to say about it for now, Matt, and I think I'm just excited for this to actually be visible and people and so this is really just the first step, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a way, and it'll help like a fire a rounder me to keep keep raging on it. So I'm kind of stoked see where it goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Matt's gonna like have to add some filters to his inbox soon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, all right, yeah, I know. I think that's it. Do anything else you want to add?
Speaker 3: No, again, we'll put the link in the description, but it's codex dot the Bretasyndica dot com. Like I said, give us feedback on any of the social media platforms, YouTube, whatever, and again shut out to I didn't right.
Speaker 2: Here, right here, I'm going to put the link creditor here because I know how to do that.
Speaker 3: Now, there you go, there you go, and yeah, sorry. One thing in talking about the process I didn't get to say is that thank you so much to Anodyne and Quasia. Yes, as a developer, I can, I'm not so good at like fine details, especially when it comes to do with the s. I'm just like I want the data stuff to be good, you know, all the functionality to be good. So those two really really helped make it look a lot better. Follish it up. Yeah, there were an immense kind of help to me when I was like driving on it. Apologize for I didn't give you guys a fucking chance to really get much else in there because I was just going so fast. But yeah, thank you so much for your support and like your work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys worked really well together. It is insane to watch, like, how will you guys all like streamline together? Like boom boom boom. Usually people are arguing or bickering for top spot. But everybody was just like, this is what I'm doing, this is what I'm doing. Bam, let's do it. It was rad.
Speaker 3: It was really cool. Yeah, I think what I got to see there was like three fairly senior professionals like yeah, looking together and there was rad Like I did not expect to get other people to help, so yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: So yeah, shout out to them, Thank you to them. I guess that's uh. You anything else you want to get in?
Speaker 3: Nah, that that's it. I'm just excited to see what happens once this episode goes live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, very excited to see it, very exciting to see where it goes. So yeah, any anything else? Leave the comment below.
Speaker 3: With that said, plugs with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go check out breedersy Patreon. It's patreon dot com forward slash breeder Syndicate. I'll put that link right here right now, and yeah links in the description too. Go check got right Seeds dot com for all the right seed spray and all of your right seeds needs. There's a lot of other breeders there, so go check it out and I think that's it. Patreon discord that's where we hang out. It's super fun and that links to description as well.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you everybody.
Speaker 2: All right, that's a wrap. Cheers. You want to sit at the table with the syndicate. Check out our Patreon and our link tree or description below. Our merch side is officially live. We have all sorts of shirts, hoodies and goodies to sort you out, and shipping is super fast and most importantly, the quality is top notch. I've been saving old designs for years for this purpose, so please check it out syndicate here dot com. We also have an underground syndicate discord where we get together and solve old strain history together daily. It's an amazing community of learning away from IG and it's an amazing resource for old catalogs and knowledge. We hope you join our union of breeders and growers. Come check it out.
Speaker 4: Oh stop one second, go click like somewhere m hmmm, and click subscribe and then the little bell thing right there and then we're good good, Okay, back to the show