Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to kf I A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got a couple of follow ups here.
Speaker 1: First of all, standing by about walking around barefoot, Amy King says, oh stop, I'm gonna spray my feet with hand sanitizer when I get home.
Speaker 2: I think we really what we said.
Speaker 1: Resonated with her about the people who work here and how there's no safety, and.
Speaker 3: I get it, there's a there's a point you feel comfortable, especially if you're working.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure you want to be comfortable.
Speaker 1: I get it. But people are gross. The things that have happened in that booth that we know about, also the guy who used to work here and went barefoot everywhere, we do have confirmation that he would go into the bathroom and would be barefoot in the bathroom. No, in the bath in the bathroom stall. And Chris Little has chimed in and he said he actually just simply said bag of d's ah, he said, and then he continued to say, we assume it was a directive to eat them.
Speaker 2: This place is insane. This place is just completely insane.
Speaker 1: Okay, so uh, let's kick off swamp watch with this white Dude's for hair as zoom call.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds like fun. Swamp is horrible. The government doesn't work. Man, gonna make this like a reality TV show.
Speaker 4: Wasn't bad?
Speaker 2: Is always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: Hey, Joe, A town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Still a swamp. A watch of my work. Nobody said drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so, you know the thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a zoom call White Dudes for Harris. They say that this is providing a big boost in campaign funds. It was a more than three hour zoom call, including actors Jeff Bridges, Sean Aston, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Josh Gadd and Mark Hamill, as well as Lance Bass. An organizer for the group said white men have been moving further right in recent years, and he hopes the movement can encourage support from the demo on the left. The organizer said, we know that the silent majority of white men aren't actually MAGA supporters. They're folks like you who just want a better life for their families. There was an interesting side note to this, in that the White Dudes for Harris' Twitter account was suspended overnight. Really yeah, for a short time.
Speaker 2: It is that.
Speaker 1: Because elock bus wanted to target them and take them down.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much they use an algorithm to suspend accounts like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, White Dudes for Harris has.
Speaker 3: The word white in it and becomes racially separate. I guess, I mean that's a possibility. Mike Nellis, is a guy involved with White Dudes for Harris, shared an update today explaining that while the account is live again, it is still technically suspended. He said the account is permanently in read only mode, meaning they can't post any new things on it, and he said don't let them silence us. When contacted for comment, the press office for Twitter wrote, busy now, please check back later, okay.
Speaker 1: Lisa Murkowski is hitting back on jd Vance for what she called offensive comments about childless cat ladies. She told Politico Lisa Murkowski, if the Republican Party is trying to improve its.
Speaker 2: Image with women, I don't think that this is working. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know who else called him out for that was Trey Goudie realist who has a show on Fox Now on Sunday afternoon, and basically said that was a dumb thing to set.
Speaker 2: Well, granted it was years ago.
Speaker 3: It was three years ago that he said that, So, I mean, he didn't see this coming.
Speaker 1: He didn't see a political run coming. He probably thought of himself as a commentator at that point. That doesn't that whose interviews are not going to be mined for these sort of gems in a vice presidential run. That he could have never seen that coming three years ago, I don't think, especially because he was back in the never Trump lane right at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Trey Goudy was one of many people who said, I know plenty of people who are deeply invested in the future of this country, and they don't have kids, or they couldn't have kids, or they have all kinds of nieces and nephews or foster children. There was something, I mean, it was a short sighted, I don't know, attempt at humor. I guess the JD Vance underwent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, times.
Speaker 3: Were completely different three years ago for him than they are right now. So there was also a story about the list of candidates that could potentially speaking of vice presidents, the list of candidates who could potentially run with Kamala Harris, and yesterday it got a little shorter. The North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper and then Michigan's Governor Gretchen Whitmer, both yesterday announced that they would be out still looking for an August seventh announcement. Again, that's a deadline. Doesn't mean much, but that deadline, self imposed, would be a week from tomorrow for Kamala Harris to come out and name who she would want to run with her on the ticket.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Courts, I guess you could call it. Favorability rating is at an all time low. A new Gallup poll found that forty three percent of Americans approve of the job the High Court is doing, nearing the record low it is from September twenty twenty one, when forty percent say they approved.
Speaker 2: Since then, they have not been over forty three percent.
Speaker 3: That push, by the way, yesterday from President Biden to impose rules upon the Supreme Court term limits, ethics rules, and things like that, I don't think I've seen a more negative response to a plan than that, because so much of it is that you can't do that it's just never going to happen. I mean, you're talking about constitutional amendments, and in a time when we're as divided as we are, you're never in any universe going to get two thirds of Congress and three quarters of state legislatures to agree to pass a constitutional amendment on something like that.
Speaker 2: Simoonbiles is doing our floor routine currently. Yeah, this is this the last thing in the last Yes, she's she's the cleanup on these events.
Speaker 3: And holy, oh holy, how this has been a good distraction.
Speaker 2: It's a happy district. Is nice.
Speaker 3: It's like when you brought your dog in exactly, have a little something nice on the side. A couple stories that were following. One of them is this developing story internationally. It is that Israel has carried out an airstrike on Beirut's southern suburbs today, targeting what they say was the senior Hesbelah commander blamed for the rocket attack that killed twelve children over the weekend. Apparently, Hesbola says that they didn't get them. Hes Bela says that as a matter of fact, you missed that it failed, that the strike against him failed flawed. Shakur is the hesbela chief of staff, and this is who they were supposedly targeting. He's also wanted in connection with the US Marine Barracks Brahming in Beirut from back in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 2: That's how long this guy's been around.
Speaker 3: But they said a loud explosion was heard in Beirut shortly before eight o'clock local time. A lot of smoke was seen rising from the area that was hit. The understanding internationally is that countries like the UK, Germany, the United States, France, we've all urged citizens to avoid traveling to Lebanon, to leave Lebanon if they're there. In fact, that British Foreign Secretary said this morning that events were fast moving and brit nationals were advised to leave Lebanon, not to travel to that country. Locally and much less important, we're having a hard time finding an Oscar's host again. Jimmy Kimmel has passed on it March second, so you've got plenty of time to work on it. But Variety has confirmed that Jimmy Kimmel, four time Oscar host, has turned down the gig. And then John mulaney was one of the highlights of this year's show also hosted the Governor's Awards as a busy schedule, and he also has bowed out of hosting the Oscars coming up in March.
Speaker 1: Second Man, the people with the cameras are just in the face of Simone Biles, Like there's no Duffer zone.
Speaker 2: It's Simone Biles exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're just they're circle, They're like sharks, and it's odd. It's odd to see you, you know, sports paparazzi that close have that kind of close access to the athletes, Like there should be a perimeter, shouldn't there where they have to kind of stay away from these girls, these women.
Speaker 2: Are you going to announce what happens when they win? No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: The new Secret Service director is giving as good as he gets today, firing back at Josh Holley over the grilling over the agency's failures and protecting Trump the day of that assassination attempt. Ronald Rowe is his name. They say he went toe to toe with Senator Holley today. Things got extremely heated when the senator demanded to know who Roe had fired over the security failures. At first, he calmly explained that he was waiting for the results of the FBI investigation to determine next steps. But when Holly barked back that there were failures because the former president was shot, he is said to have snapped.
Speaker 2: I get it. I mean we all should be very, very upset about what happened that day.
Speaker 1: He fired back with a reference to the JFK assassination, barking, sir, this could have been our Texas school book depository. I've lost sleep over that for the last seventeen days, just like you. And then Holly interjected, then fire somebody, and then Roge got more heated.
Speaker 3: He's a guy who Okay, when Kimberly Cheatle testified last week, total week stream, very weak stream, very uneventful, like she didn't seem to get excited about much of anything. This guy, Ronald Road Junior, came out and he's opening statement was excited.
Speaker 5: The critical part of the Secret Service mission is protecting our nation's current and former government leaders. The attempted assassination of former President Donald J. Trump on Saturday, July thirteenth, twenty twenty four, in Butler, Pennsylvania was a failure on multiple levels.
Speaker 3: And like I said earlier, he I mean, he laid out the local sniper team that was the closest law enforcement agency to the shooter, and he blew up a picture and showed it to these members of Congress.
Speaker 2: That was a view from the second floor window.
Speaker 3: It was the building directly behind where the shooter was on a roof and explained he would or should have been seen by that local team.
Speaker 5: This is from the second floor of the ADR building. This point of view is the point of view where the counter sniper team locally was posted. The gold arrow indicates where the shooter fired from looking left.
Speaker 2: He is not happy.
Speaker 5: Why was the assailant not seen when we were told that building was going to be covered, that there had been a face to face that afternoon that our team leads met.
Speaker 3: Now, he kind of described this not just that breakdown in communication where Secret Service was told by local law enforcement we have our eyes on that AGR building and the rooftops that are closest to the president former president. There's also the communication breakdown that went from local law enforcement to the Secret Service. Once they had identified this guy as suspicious, they didn't see him with a weapon until literally seconds before the shooting started, and at that point the communication never got to the Secret Service team, although leading up to it, they had plenty of opportunity to say, we got a suspicious guy walking around. He's you know, this is weird because this is the only area that has a clear line of sight everyone side event.
Speaker 1: Everyone has a different story because the head of the snipe, the local sniper team yesterday said, hey, we were the ones who tipped the Secret Service off or the higher ups whoever that was. I don't know if it rose to the level of the the bosses on scene with the Secret Service, but we noticed that guy an hour before he started shooting, and we let people know. So it's just everyone's covering their own ass. It wasn't my fault, it's their fault kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: And it will it will be nice to see some people fire. It will be nice. Yes.
Speaker 1: So Donald Trump yesterday repeated his weekend remarks to Christian's Summit attendees that they would never need to vote again if they just vote for him in November.
Speaker 3: We talked about it yesterday because it was an odd thing. Christin Knew, Governor of New Hampshire, had to come out and he said, it's just Trump.
Speaker 2: Be and Trump right.
Speaker 1: Thing that was shocking to not shocking. Nothing is shocking coming from Donald Trump, but that he used the word fixed twice with referencing the election.
Speaker 2: Right, it'll be fixed, It'll be fixed. You can't. That doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: So Laura Ingram from Fox sat down with the president former president and asked about.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to give you the.
Speaker 3: National stage for you to clarify what you were saying.
Speaker 1: You said to a crowd two of Christians that they won't have to vote in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me say, what did that mean by that? I had a tremendous crowd speaking to Christians almost. I mean, this was a crowd that liked me a lot. I think I'm in ninety seven percent or something. And they're treated very badly by this administration. Okay, Catholics are treated unbelievably. They're like persecuted. And if I might say, before I go into the other Jewish people, if you're Jewish and you vote for Biden or the Democrats or Kamala or whoever's going to run, I guess it's going to be her. But if you voted for her or the Democrats, you should have your head examined. Because nobody's ever been treated so badly.
Speaker 3: Okay, he hasn't explained it and answered the question. She sorry, she Laura Ingram gives them another opportunity to go ahead. I'm going to give you another chance. What were you meaning when you said the first time?
Speaker 2: Can you even just responded?
Speaker 4: I said, Christians. I started off by saying, just so you understand, you never vote. Christians do not vote well. They vote in very small percentages. Why maybe they're disappointed in things that are happening. But for a long time, I say you don't vote. I'm saying, go out, you must vote. November fifth is going to be the most important election in the history of our country, whether you vote earlier or not. We should have, by the way, one day voting. We should have voter ID, we should have proof of citizenship, and we should have paper ballots.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's why we should.
Speaker 4: But we don't have that. But I said to the Christians in the room, thousands of them, I said, typically Christians do not vote. Why it is? I don't know your rebellious something's going on. Don't worry about the future. Vote on. You have to vote on. No. After that, you don't have to worry about voting anymore. I don't care, because we're going to fix it. The country will be fixed, and we won't even need you vote anymore, because frankly, we will have such love. If you don't want to vote anymore, that's okay. And I think everybody understood it. I didn't know there was any Now, well, you think everybody understand.
Speaker 1: So is that a thing where Christians are said not to vote? I mean, I know the is it the majority of people that do identify as Christian in this country?
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if it's the largest, it is.
Speaker 3: The largest if you claim a religious denomination, all right, Christianity generally, yes, that would be.
Speaker 2: The largest, Okay.
Speaker 1: And so if voter turnout was low, then you could say that Christians don't vote. Yeah, what was voter turnout the last time around in general?
Speaker 2: Twenty five percent, twenty eight percent. That's low. It's always it's low.
Speaker 1: So so in that way, you can say that Christians don't vote if they're the biggest religious.
Speaker 2: Identification group.
Speaker 3: I mean it's somebody, somebody, some internal pollster said to him, Hey, they don't turn out in the numbers that we would have expected, and he says, Christians don't vote.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the way he interprets.
Speaker 1: So I can see him just saying, oh, just vote for me this one time, just this one time.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll take what I can get.
Speaker 1: Kind of a thing he's bargaining with, right, and he's not going to be running again, so it's just saying you just have to vote for me one time is accurate.
Speaker 2: He's not going to be the candidate the next time around. It's just messy.
Speaker 1: It's messy, and don't say it'll be fixed. That's where you get into problems.
Speaker 3: I mean he did clarify there where he said I mean the country will be fixed. Now by that, I mean sure, okay, was a mess but still not great. Do you want your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 2: Oh? Email m A l E for six hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Also working in law enforcement, he was busted for horse stealing and brothel involvement before moving to Tombstone in eighteen seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Who Is Wyatt earned?
Speaker 1: Yes, one of the greatest movies. Such a great movie. Don't say it. Don't say the line.
Speaker 2: Which one you know? Which one? I got two guns, one for each of you. That one challenge you to a spelling cap.
Speaker 1: I was thinking I'm your huckleberry. I'll be a but you know, I'm sorry you'd neither here nor there, or I'm bringing hell with me or I'm bringing Yeah. A couple stories that we are following today. The Secret Services Acting Director says he considered it indefensible that the Pennsylvania roof it was used by the gunman in the attempted assassination of former President Trump was Unsecuredcting Director Ronald Road Junior faulted local law enforcement for not circulating urgent information ahead of the shooting and for not adequately protecting the scene. Israel has carried out a rare strike on Beirut, killing at least one person, raising the stakes in this escalating tensions with the Lebanese militant group has Belah. The Israeli military said the strike was targeting the militant commander that was supposed to be behind the deaths of a dozen kids in a weekend rocket attack on the Israeli controlled Goal On Heights. There was an article in The Atlantic, Yeah, let's not kid ourselves, let's not stand on ceremony here, trying.
Speaker 3: To think I should ask her a question that she has to answer for a long time.
Speaker 1: You were like, tell me again about Crabtree, what went wrong? What do you think Jim Harbaugh should have.
Speaker 2: Done in that moment? And go with your face full of cheesecake? Is that are those both cheesecake? Or that carrot cake and cheesecake both? That's a carrot cake? Hold on, no, you do you all right?
Speaker 1: So this article was about how a world built for cars has made life so much harder for grownups, and they highlight a story about two moms, Amy and Alice. In the summer of two thousand and nine, these two moms, living on Grevell Road in Bristol in southwest England, found themselves in a strange predicament. Alice and Amy were talking one day, like women are wan to do when they're not putting on their makeup, and they realized that they saw entirely too much of their kids. Get these kids, We're like, why are they here? Why aren't they outside? So Amy and Alice decided to run an experiment. They applied to shut their quarter mile road to traffic for two hours after school on a June afternoon, not for a party or an event, but just to let the kids outside. Go play, go play, go see your friends. They did not prepare games or activities. Rose, it would have defeated the purpose of the inquiry. With time, space and permission. What happens, and we've talked about this before. It kind of goes back to the Lord of the Flies fallacy, right that kids left to their own devices will eat each other and burn each other down.
Speaker 2: That's not what happens.
Speaker 1: You get creative, You form connections, you socialize yourselves. When you're out playing with your friends and you don't have organized things.
Speaker 2: To do, you get creative. They said the.
Speaker 1: Results were breathtaking when they shut down this road. The dozens of kids who showed up had no problem finding things to do. One little girl cycled up and down the street three thousand times.
Speaker 2: Rose says she was totally blissed out. I mean, that's the other thing.
Speaker 1: I remember such feeling, such joy from riding my bike as a kid. Yeah, and it didn't have it didn't need to be going anywhere, maybe to thrifties to get ice cream or candy or something like that, but it could just just bend the freedom of riding your bike and feeling the breeze and being outside and being with your friends. It's such joy or skateboard or something. I don't feel that joy when I'm on my phone.
Speaker 3: No, but you also, I mean there's a different part of your brain that's working. But it's such an unnatural It's like the difference between a real sugar, I mean a natural sugar of something.
Speaker 2: Like the sugar that's in that cake. Yes, and like it's like a sugar. The first analogy you come up with on the topic, speak of it as sugar. It's like a frosting.
Speaker 3: But the difference between a natural sugar and one that is, you know, super processed.
Speaker 1: It's a difference between a raspberry and those little raspberry candies I used to love as a kid because I didn't have raspberries. I don't know why, but anyway, I used to love those candies. And then when I grew up and was buying raspberries, I was like, Oh, the real thing is like such a better show, much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They also talk about the importance of this notion that kids have a place in or near a roadway, which is a weird thing to think about when cars became ubiquitous in the twenties and thirties. They talk about how there used to be there used to be monuments to children who were hit and killed by cars, because it was a novel thing at the time, and they were celebrated to the point where almost the way we memorialized fallen soldiers. That's completely different now. A traffic safety is something that's taught in schools, you know, to be able to be road wise, to be aware of you know, how you cross a street, and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And there are cities that have done.
Speaker 3: These programs, these play street programs.
Speaker 2: New York has had one since nineteen fourteen.
Speaker 3: Chicago launched a play Streets program in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: In twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Portland, Oregon hosted its first events just last year in the process of finding a way to make the street itself available for kids once again. Like they did, I mean at the beginning of this article where they cut off. They blocked off the street for a certain amount of time.
Speaker 1: And you're not getting in your car to take your kid to some sort of play area or play event or play date or what have you. So you have more time as an adult to I don't know, walk outside and talk to your neighbors, talk to the people your kids are playing with. And that means you're more invested in your neighborhood. You're looking out for each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny though, I mean you use the emphasizing the riding your bike and the freedom that you felt that when you were doing that. I'm thinking of when I would go to baseball practice. It was at Lucasey Park and I had to cross Highway one oh one to get.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard that name, Lucazy and.
Speaker 3: I had to cross the highway, I mean the highway that cut through the middle of town. I had to cross the highway to get to the park. And at the time, it's just an overpass and it wasn't very There's no bike lanes. This was, you know, the eighties, no bike lanes, and here's me rolling around as a ten eleven, twelve year old kid on a bike with my glove hanging off the handlebar. You had to do it yourself. You had to navigate all of that stuff by yourself. And once you did that, it gave you that sense of freedom that you could you know, I mean, it brings on a sense of an inevitable invincibility that's probably not smart.
Speaker 1: But Blue Casey Park had those fun fountains that would spurred up in the middle of the lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and ducks. Ducks were awful. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Those ducks would extreet excrete. Why can I not speak now? Wow, my tongue is numb from the cheesecake. They would excrete so much. Duck dung, well, you poop, not on the sidewalk next to an open body of water.
Speaker 2: I love the ducks.
Speaker 1: I love feeding the ducks. I love watching the ducks.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio AP