Speaker 1: Not five miles an hour riding to his head. You hop it down first with the lump bonius face, and on the very next pitch he up and stole second face.
Speaker 2: With gretest speed. He wasn't born, he had yes uniforn.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Prospect B Sides Podcast. I'm Nate Handy joining me as always is. He's still going by the rook even though he's kicking off his sophomore season here as champion.
Speaker 4: I'll add of our of our Prospect B Side Draft. What's up, Nate? How's it going? I'm I'm forever the rook in this so need to need to break anything that's not broken, right, it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm kind of banking on a little sophomore slump from you this year. I might need it to.
Speaker 4: Overtake you know that that's not a real thing.
Speaker 3: I don't want to hurt your feelings or embarrass you or anything like that. But I got to say, after our like last like wrap up show, our fan mail bag just got loaded with comments in different I don't how do I say suggestions? Wondering if maybe there's a little asterisk next to your title last year.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting. Yeah, I don't tell me. Why what? What did I do wrong?
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't I can't speak for the people. I can't say that I agree with the flooding. But I think it was like stuff along the lines of, you know, level of difficulty. Maybe, I don't know. I don't know. I thought you did I thought you did great. I thought it was fantastic. I learned a lot from you last year and picked out some dangers. So those are my words.
Speaker 4: Those are not your words. But some unnamed fan of the show. You know, we do have so many so it's hard to hard to know. Yeah that that tracks.
Speaker 3: It was vocal.
Speaker 4: Damn it vocal. I thought you were on my side.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we're officially into the off season now. The Dodgers just won the World Series Game five that just ended literally minutes ago, and so we're getting into our off season episodes where Matt and I have perused all of the mud and all of the unpopular and unwonted prospects of every organization and picked out a hitter and a pitcher that we are going to I don't know, keep an eye on, wondering if maybe they're due for a rise in popularity. Two. I don't know, Matt. I think like this World Series, the Dodgers were so much better at the little things than the Yankees, and that made all the difference, right. And sure, the guys that we talk about probably aren't going to be any foundational piece of your dynasty squads, your thirty teamers, your only leagues, but it is the margins and maybe you can win on some of these margins and turn not much into something. And so we've spent a lot of time months doing our dives here, doing our digs video numbers, and we're going to start sharing and a series of episodes will go division by division and share our picture here selections for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's a good segue. You know, the season just ended and now our real B siding season begins. But the Dodgers are a good case study in getting the most out of their entire roster. They don't waste any of their roster spots, and they're pitching injuries this year showed that they had to go deep. Like who was on Ben Casparius coming into this year? You know the Dodgers, Wow, such great pitching prospects. Land and Knack and Gavin Stone and River Ryan, all these guys that people loved is pitching prospects, Like none of those guys did anything. I mean, Knack through some important innings, I guess, but Ben Casparius is the one that started Game four. Sure, that's the game that the Yankees won, but I still think that that's indicative of you never know where those important innings are going to come from. Guys like Ben Casparius. Those are our B siders that do that kind of contribution. We're not here unearthing any sho Heo Tanis. Although he didn't have the best World Series, maybe we're gonna find and highlight some Freddy Freeman's. You know, he was a well regarded prospect, but nobody pegged him as a Hall of Famer even when he came up. I think he was overshadowed by Jason Hayward, and even years into his steady Freddy contributions, folks are still underrating him and he's now World Series MVP.
Speaker 3: So our last show of last season talked about how maybe we weren't so I'm happy with some of our bat picks, and how maybe we felt we could have done better there but you know, the AFL season's going on, and now some of those guys who didn't gain a bunch of popularity this summer are starting to get noticed a little bit in the AFL. So never know, maybe it won't be next year, maybe it'd be a couple of years, maybe it will be never. But nonetheless, some guys that I have found interesting. I was actually pretty pleased, Matt. I was a little nervous doing this dig this year because of the way the minor league season went and how the opinion is about prospects these days. But I was pretty pleased. I found some guys I'm kind of excited about to see the future here.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad you're excited. I go into this exercise the last couple of years like really not knowing what to think. You know, I follow the minor leagues pretty closely, but I also, you know, have kids and like a busy at work, and so I feel like I didn't have as much time to keep up during the season, you know what I mean, with the goings on and watch as many games and have guys pop up to me that way. So I don't know, this year, I felt like I maybe was on the back foot a bit with my selections, and Nate's already coming in feeling confident He's got all his guys. He's like, he's going to crush me. I'm nervous, everybody, I'm nervous. I don't know if I'm going to be able to live up to my dominating performance of last year.
Speaker 3: Dominating. You pushed me like I didn't like. I didn't like the way things ended. I can unequivocally say this is the most extensive, deciding selection process I've ever put myself through.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad to make you step your game up. At least hopefully our twelve listeners can benefit from your research. And I, as usual, am half assing it and just doing my work the night before. So I hope everyone's ready for that.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna start with the NL East and I think we're going to start with the pitchers.
Speaker 4: That sounds right to me.
Speaker 3: Well, who you got what you're thinking? I'm super anxious as always when we do these, to see who you're going to throw out there.
Speaker 4: My Braves didn't win the World Series this year. They had a super disappointing campaign. From the fact that they're like, I don't know eight of their best twelve players missed significant chunks of the year, including arguably their two best players. So let's start with the Braves. The offseason begins anew. They're going to be a dominant force again next year when everyone's healthy, and I could see this B side arm making some starts for them next year. He is a guy that we did mention this last year. He wasn't my B side pick, but I liked him coming out of the twenty twenty three draft as a guy who hit the ground running and just performed right away. And if you'll remember Nate, that was Lucas Braun. When I looked, he was zero percent. And again, some of my roster percentages might end up being a little different to Nate's because when I pulled it down, all of the data Fantracks had done their update and so there was a bunch of wonky numbers, and so I've basically only got guys that are zero percenters in my list, but I know some of them are going to be well.
Speaker 3: I can say I checked twice on him on September second and September twenty second, and he was two percent owned.
Speaker 4: Two percent. Yeah, that sounds a little more like it to me, But when I was pulling the list in early October, I guess it was he was zero percent and even at two percent, like, I think this is a great buy for me. Lucas Braun. He made it up to double a this year, and a lot of the things that I liked about his kind of pro debut performance from last year killed true this year. He walks guys at a better than average clip. He strikes out twenty seven ish percent of batters. He had over twenty percent K minus BB when you combined his levels this year. He threw a lot of innings, which is low key one of my favorite things about him. Through one hundred and forty three innings, like against twenty four games started. That's a starter's workload. Like that's something that you can look at and say, if the Braves have a couple of injuries Morton retires, say god forbid Chris Sale and Strider I missed some significant time last year, the Braves are really going to need some pitching. Max Fried's going to walk. He's almost certainly not going to resign with the Braves. There's going to be some innings to be had in that starting rotation and no offense to a J. Smith Shaver and Herson Waldrip, but I think Lucas Braun looks more likely as a guy who can just step right in and take some innings. So Braun for me, is really well rounded in his arsenal. He's got solid command. It's not just strike throwing control, although he does that well, and I think that he executes his off speed pitches exceptionally well. It's one of my favorite things about him in that he kind of reminds me a little bit of a former B sider of yours, elder Bryce Elder. You really see out of his hand like the slider, the curve, the change. He could throw any of them at any given time, and he commands them all pretty well to the different parts of the bottom of the zone, which I really really liked in my looks. So Lucas Brown for me, he was a name to follow out of the draft for me last year, and I'm making it my Braves B side arm this year.
Speaker 3: Nice. I kind of figured that you were going to go with Braun, so I'd like totally skipped him on my homework, So thank you for saving me some time there. Nice. Yeah, the Braves. I mean there, they have a lot of popular arms. I'd say to find a B sider you kind of got to go pretty deep. You mentioned Smith, Shover, the waldrop O, Murphy Hackenberg, Richie Laura Cueler, Camanitty, even Fines, Garrett Bauman, Adam Mayer. Those guys are all two percent or above. Admittedly not my favorite guy that I'm going to talk about this offseason. Probably in the bottom third of B side arms for me. But I'm gonna go with young Davis Polo. I don't know if you've watched him at all. Polo is nineteen during the season. I think he might may have turned twenty now, righty six to one listed six to one anyways, from Colombia. He threw fifteen games twelve starts at Augusta this year. Maybe know, not crazy good surface numbers. I don't think I struck out twenty and a half percent, walked five percent, just decent. But what I liked about him, he's a little bit of a I think maybe a Budding like kind of spin spin guy. He throws his slider a lot. I don't know, I don't know necessarily how great that would grade out on stuff. Plus metrics and things like that. No idea probably can't pitch the way that he does when he moves ahead here moves up. I mean he's liable to throw his slider just like six seven times in a row. T but it works at the A ball level because he probably sits about ninety two ninety three, I'm guessing something like that. I don't think it's a totally dud ninety two or ninety three. I think he mixes in a little bit of a change up too. But a young guy who's getting an opportunity in the brave Zord, you know, having some success. Yeah, I figured i'd take it, give it a watch and see how he may or may not progress here solid.
Speaker 4: I don't recall watching much of what would you say? His name is Yolo?
Speaker 3: Davis Polo?
Speaker 4: Yolo a bad joke there, but Davis Polo. I watched a little bit of a video and you shared your video as well, And I see what you mean about the slider first nature, And even if things maybe don't all come together for him to stick as a starter, there's some interesting reliever potential there. Like just the way it looks it almost it actually reminds me a little bit delivery wise of Ryseolo glcias obviously stuff wise and repertoire wise, it's a little bit different. But the kind of the Whippi way that he comes at you, the arm angle and then the good slider, I think those are all traits that he shares with Iglesias.
Speaker 3: A guy this young at this level, I don't know, you know, and difference between inconsistencies in breaking ball shape or if there's any intention behind some of it. But he does seem to throw a couple different shapes from time to time. But yeah, I don't know. I thought you could do a lot worse than Davis Polo here for the Braves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and as far as the high prout names go. Just while we're hearing the Braves, who do you got in that at the top of this system? Because I think there's a big four in this Brave system at the top, and I'm curious where you're riding.
Speaker 3: I am a big jare Richie hopeful.
Speaker 4: I thought that's what you were going to say.
Speaker 3: I mean, at least the glimpses that we've gotten of his whole arsenal and his ability to use it and execute it. I know he's coming back from injury this year probably wasn't quite as good as I was hoping overall, but again, I'll maybe give him a little bit of a mulligan as he was coming back from injury. But long term, if there was a guy that I like had to marry and stick with, I'd go with Ritchie m m Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't think that. I think he would be my second choice, I'll say that, and I'm super interested to see what he's going to do another year removed from injury next year. So he's one that I can't wait to see more of. For me, it's Murphy Owen Murphy. I think he's my favorite of the arms in that system. Will drip. I was excited about coming out of last year's draft, but I think the command concerns remain and the Braves just haven't magically fixed that. But maybe maybe that takes another small step forward. But he worries me in that from a reference. And then with Smith Shov like, he seems like he's got one good pitch and if that pitch isn't on in his fastball, like, if it's not U upper nineties, it seems like he gets hit and he doesn't have good command of the other pitches. So I'm nervous about either of those two kind of big horses working out. But Murphy, Murphy and Richie, to me, both I think have ye a lot.
Speaker 3: Oh, I kind of forgot about Murphy. I'd maybe go Murphy over.
Speaker 4: Richie again injured, so we'll see how he comes back. But he was absolutely electric in his opening to this year, and I was, I was pretty smitten.
Speaker 3: But I will say that I probably value both those guys pretty closely.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, And I think they're they're in a tier.
Speaker 3: I'll drop on Twitter at pitching specs videos of my selections here. I took some time and cut some of those up to just add a little supplement to the show here, all right, Miami Marlins. So you know they're they're pretty boys. They're more popular looking at like Robbie Snelling, Noble Meyer, Thomas White Maser, wusuck Go is rostered at eleven percent, tax Fulton still like seven percent, Monte Verdes four percent, Jacob Miller mill Brandt were both in at two percent. But I got a guy that I like a lot, a lot more than most of those arms. And I'm going with young kinder Benitez. I don't know if you've watched him at all, Matt.
Speaker 4: I haven't.
Speaker 3: But at the same time Eliezer, dish May and Benitez both got called up to a ball about the same time, and I dish May was kind of a buzzy name, but I was finding myself a little bit more smitten with Benitez here. And I know Clegg too just recently is touting him a little bit. But we're talking about another teenager. I think he was what eighteen this season. Yeah, he got in thirteen games at a ball. He threw fifty seven and two thirds innings there to a three point one two ERA one point two whip. He struck out twenty four point four percent, walked almost eleven percent. You know, lots of decent video of him being down in the newly like well covered Florida State League. I don't know if there's anything like super loud in the arsenal. He's a lefty. He probably throws I don't know, ninety three ish, but he's got like the full kit. There's a slider, there's a curveball, there's a change up. If Clegg was was has been touting him a little bit. I imagine there's probably something underneath the hood that he's into. But I just think that this is potentially a really solid, like some of all parts, very young prospect here, and what I mean we're talking he could he could maybe be nineteen years old and in Hi, right, I mean, that's that's pretty nice. I know there's there's some walks and stuff like that, obviously, but a younger guy. He's far from from wild to me and out of control. I think he, for a teenager, is trying to execute a pretty sophisticated plan mixing his offerings. So yeah, I'm gonna go with beneath us, and he's probably like right in the middle of my thirty arms, maybe a little bit to the back half. As far as how i'd line them all up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that kind of tracks. This Miami system, as you said, is a bit top heavy. I think a couple of those top end arms you and I both really like. I mean, I know Thomas White is one that we both are are big fans of, and Snelling and Maser both we've had some positive things to say about in the past. I don't think we're alone in that those guys are all good. Going further down the ownership in this system, I was pretty I struggled a bit and ended up with a guy that I would say is in the bottom ten, maybe bottom third definitely, i'd say of the of the arms that I came up with with a couple of guys in the system, and it's worth noting Austin Roberts. He's a Rule five draftee from I think Pittsburgh, maybe originally that Miami grab and Roberts. He's a reliever only, but kind of like my arm from the system last year, Anthony Maldonado, I think he's got the chance to be a pretty high leverage reliever. The stuff is, you know, fastballs like mid nineties, but it's a nasty changeup, a decent slider, and it just looks like this is a kind of nasty back of the bullpen guy. Maybe as soon as next year. So again, Austin Roberts, someone to peep for your reliever specking in those deep leagues. I also really considered Will Schomberg, who was a Mariner's arm. He was really good with the Mariners and I was pretty interested in him, But I forget which trade that was that he got sent to the Marlins for anyway. I can't remember who that was for, but he was like atrocious after he went to the Marlins swing and miss still was there, but he was walking everybody. And it's a small sample, so maybe it was just like new regime having him work on something. I'm not sure he's one to watch because I was pretty interested in what he was putting up in Seattle and then it just backed up so much in Miami in a way that I hate personally, like the high walk guys, so I stepped away from Schomberg. He might have the most upside of these these three guys that I honed in on. But the guy that I'm going to go with, and again I'm not super excited about it, is Jake Brooks. He's a college righty out of UCLA who I saw a little bit in when he was there. Kind of feels Johnny right handery to me, like it's good strike throwing ability. He walked fewer than five percent of guys this year, didn't miss a ton of bats for a college guy in mostly low A. He was still only missing like I think ten and a half percent, And as far as swinging strike rate goes which is pretty low, and it was didn't come with like a super high ground ball rate or pop up rate or anything. You know, He's pretty standard johnny right hander. I did like that he will attack with a solid three pitch mix, goes to his change up a lot, and it's a decent pitch. The fastball just isn't explosive. I don't think it has great shape, so I can't recommend him a ton, but I liked that he still managed to get pretty solid results even with like a kind of I don't know, subpar, putrid, borderline unplayable strikeout rate. I expect that all to rise a bit unless something significant changes about his pitch mix, and maybe with the new organ there in Miami, they can mold him into something a bit more in the offseason. Yeah, there's a decent starters foundation, and in terms of the pitch mix here, it's a simple delivery, and he had a couple of pretty nice outings to end the year. There's something there that's like, you know, maybe a sixth or seventh depth starter up and down guy in a year or two, but not a glowing endorsement, but still my guy for Miami this year is Jake Brooks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, once you got as kind of their more popular arms. Like, I'm just looking at my short list and I was down to a bunch of nineteen year olds in Schomberg. Not much in the uppers that got me too excited from the unpopular guys. Benitas was one percent rostered in September, Brooks was zero percent. Matt the New York Mets. I won't lie. I'm kind of excited about this pick. Probably my top ten B side arms. I'm going with young Wellington Arisania just how you say it, And man, I know this guy is like so up your ally because he rocked a twenty three percent walk rate and a ball yep. Now mind you that was six outings thirteen and one third innings. But he does have a history and rookie ball of the high walk rates. But Arisenia is six ' three, big righty from the Dominican. He was just nineteen years old this season. You're talking a fastball that can touch triple digits. I wonder a lot about what his secondary game might end up looking like or being don't think he really has a natural feel for spinning one. I think they gave him a cutter to try to work with. And of course the walk rates, right, that's a big thing. But I was really impressed with a few of his outings that were televised, the video that I'll share that one doesn't look like a guy who walks twenty four percent of guys or whatever. And if you look at his game logs, it's kind of like walk zero, walk zero, walk zero, walk six, walk six, walk five, walk zero, walk zero. Make of that what you might? I don't know, but you know, I think there's a lot of kind of a big boom here. I watching him, I think of watching like Justin Martinez back in like twenty twenty one. I think there's some similar similarities there, and very curious if there's a similarity in like the actual shape of fastball. I think there's like some natural cut there. But this is guy and Matt. You know that, I don't like guys who walk a bazillion dudes. I think there might be some hope here. I'm wondering if a lot of the wildness can't just be I don't know, maybe cleaned up with some more consistent mechanics or something like that. I don't know, but like I said. A couple of the looks that I saw, I was, I was pretty blown away. They have him relieving, you know, some extended three inning outings and stuff like that. We'll see what they do with him. But I got to imagine you got to arm this lively down in a ball. I would think that you would want to give him a shot at starting and see how that might go. So my hope is that that's the plan and he gets some more extended looks a ball and he harnesses in a pretty nasty powerful fastball and develop some of that cutter or slider, and I think he could he could put up some big time numbers in a ball if that all happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, not on my radar at all, and you're likely right that walk rate sounds sounds probably why I didn't prioritize watching any of Arisania. Yeah, Mike, I again couldn't be more different. Again, this is like both of our approaches to this particular exercise. I definitely tend lean towards more like college arms that maybe they've got something there and they could be quick moving. And that's definitely the fish that I tend to shop shop for.
Speaker 3: I have brought up three teenagers, so funny you have, I know, but it's more coincidental. My next two are not teenagers.
Speaker 4: And again like the guy that I'm going to talk about next for the Mets is recent college right handed starting pitcher Jack Weininger. Weninger. Yeah, he's a writy I think at an Illinois if I recall correctly, decent in college, but not like a big prospect. I think he even got like lower than slot. Deal didn't pop on my college arms to watch lists from last year, but I really liked what I saw out of him. This is like a top half arm for me, with a chance for more. As far as the B sides go. Is the look of a kind of standard righty in that it's mostly a three pitch mix. Think that there's a chance for a little bit more stuff, like like the stuff is more.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He has some like Johnny right hander traits, which I used more as a pejorative at times. It's you know, a ninety two to four mile an hour fastball. The slot is like upper three quarters, so it looks like it has okay ride without being elite. It's you know, not like Jonahtong right over the top with a ton of ride, kind of arm angle, good slider that the movement, the shape of it varies a little bit, but is a useful pitch. And then I think his go to is a changeup that he'll throw to either righty's or lefties. But he knows how to deploy that arsenal pretty well. And he ended in High A this year, had like kind of split his year half at A ball half at High A, and had a really pretty nice run to end the year there in Brooklyn. His last start in particular, I would suggest people get out and watch. It was six innings of one run ball, ten punch outs, and he was like he was earning these punch outs too. It wasn't a lot of like called strikes or crap competition. Like he had been promoted into HIGA and National's lineup was okay there at the end of the year, so I thought he looked really solid.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: He put up one hundred and fifteen or so innings across the year, so there's like a solid platform for him to start the year again at High A, maybe end the year in Double A or Triple A if things continue to coalesce for him. I could see this as a kind of four or five arm at peak in the major leagues.
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 4: He just looks a lot like a major league right hander that's going to have some He's gonna have a season or two that looks really good. There will definitely be some bumps in the road because I said, nothing is outstanding, but of it put together, he's a real pitcher. And I was impressed with a number of my looks at him.
Speaker 3: Right huh. And you're not alone there. In September, Weninger was one percent rostered. So there's a few fans now during the season Weninger and Austin I think Trosser is how you say it. We're both putting up like some some good looking lines in a ball. So I turned them both on. They're both they're both righties, and I get them confused, So help me out here. I remember one of them I really liked, I really liked the spin game, did not like the fastball game. And then the other one was the opposite. So Weninger what his fastball? It's which one is? Ta? I get them confused in my in my ead.
Speaker 4: I don't know if i'd classify him as either. I mean, like I said, his fastball isn't overpowering. Reminds me a little bit of He reminds me a little bit of a guy that has the three direction movement profile right, Like the change up really dives, the fastball stays fly, and the slider really breaks glove side like that. It's got that movement profile where all of the pitches separate pretty well. I guess maybe the fastball isn't quite as good.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He he doesn't have a great curveball, and he's more of a changeup first. I think the change up is a little bit better. So maybe he's like the guy that he liked his fastball a bit.
Speaker 3: And and yes, I think maybe I think maybe Wininger was the guy in my few looks that I wasn't super impressed with the breaking.
Speaker 4: Stuff Weeninger for me, yeah, like his his slider is definitely his third best pitch, I think. And I love that he goes right on right change up, Like he'll throw that change up inside to righty's and they think they gotta be quick to the fastball and swing over this kind of diving change up. And I've been kind of a bit of a thing for righties with plus change ups in this exercise in the past with you know, Logan Henderson among among others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, after you get past the more popular arms in the system. Christian Scott wrote, Tom, Well, the seal Hammel of still five percent, hanging on to Matt Allen, Kelvin Ziggler and then your boy you wander was that two percent? But after that, I gotta say I wasn't like, I wasn't super into a bunch of guys. They got a couple first year player arms that I turned on, but it was such a small sample size. You know that Arisenia was pretty much an easy call for me, despite how poorly it could maybe go. So if there's like a big boom guy in the thirty arms that I bring up like he might be it if you want to live on that wild side.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, that's a bold call. But some of your bold calls have worked out before, so I'm not gonna pooh pooh it too much. Although I doubt I'm going to roster that guy anytime soon, I'm not gonna bet against him either.
Speaker 3: I didn't look at like rankings and stuff like that. That's not true. I did look at Pipeline's thirties a little bit, just to see if any of my guys were showing up on there. But I did notice maybe I was looking at some Rule five stuff. Regardless, I think your boy long and hang and has Arisenia pretty high on his mets list. Really, for whatever that's worse.
Speaker 4: Let's go to the Phillies next, and I'll lead it off. Of the five arms that we're talking about here, I think this guy's my favorite. It's not maybe the profile that I'm usually really wowed by in the I think he's got some issues with control, like he walks a little more than I would like. But I kind of loved his kitchen sink mix. So I'm going with Luke Russo. Did you watch a bunch of Luke Russo?
Speaker 3: Definitely turned him on, But I did not make any notes nat So he did not strike me as noteworthy enlighten me.
Speaker 4: I think that's interesting because he does some things that I feel like you really like. And the lead for him is I think his breaking ball is a hammer, like he was just throwing this to Riety's to Lefty. He's a right handed pitcher, twenty three years old and ended the season in High A he dominated dudes with this curveball, and it didn't matter the count, the location, Like he would get a called strike at the top of the zone, he'd throw it and it looked like it was a middle middle fastball, and then these high hitters are just whiffing right over it. The curveball was the most impressive pitch, but I think he showed five, maybe six pitches, depending on how the slider is classified, Like maybe it's a slider, maybe it's a slider and a cutter. He looks like he had a fastball, a four seam, but also maybe a two seam and then a changeup mixed in there as well. So had a lot of pitches and punched out twenty nine percent of batters. I don't know, man, I was pretty excited about the breadth of the approach, Like the fastball even looked like it had some life, like a little bit of east west movement. But he stayed under it too, so I wouldn't be surprised if its shape is like slightly above average. Maybe you know, he wasn't getting a ton of whiffs on it or anything, but it looked like it was a hard pitch to square up, and like I said, he was a fun pitcher to watch, like he would approach each hitter kind of differently, and it definitely looked like he was a guy that I threw on a few outings in a row, and it was interesting to see that he was very unpredictable. A lot of these guys you just kind of watch them for a little bit and you know, oh, this is how they're going to approach this guy. This is how they're going to approach that guy. And Russo was not like that at all. He the first time threw might throw a guy only curveballs, and then the next at bat he doesn't show the curveball at all, and then the third at bat he's, you know, coming in with the cutter, away, with the changeup, up with the fastball, and then curveball middle strike three looking because they hadn't seen it in two at bats. That kind of depth of arsenal and none of them seemed bad to me, has me as excited as really any arm in that system side of Painter. So, he's one that I actually he was my favorite of the five here in the National League East. The drawback for him is the command he walks a little more than I would like. And that's on the control side, you know, nine point five walk percentage this year against the again the twenty nine percent strikeout rate. But it's also the some of these pitches are all over the place, Like he had outings where I think multiple outings that I watched where he struck out the third batter but it was a wild pitch and they got to first and then he struck out the next batter again, you know. So he did that a couple of times at least that I saw. And his fastball command isn't very good. So even though shape wise it seems all right and he doesn't give up a ton of hard contact on it, at least that I saw, he also throws it for a ball a lot, and so I think he's a little bit inefficient as well. So definitely still some work to be done there for Luke Russo. But I really liked him. I just thought there was a lot of fun, fun breakers in there, and a diverse mix and a diverse attack, which is just interesting.
Speaker 3: But maybe Russ did that buy me there have to go back and watch.
Speaker 4: I know who you're going to go for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in my Philly's arm I think is probably right, but I'm going he's still too I liked him a lot. Yeah, I'm going with I mean, we talked about him this season several times, but I'm going with Ibsen Castillano. He was two percent rostered in September, and this is the most rostered arm that I that I will pick this offseason. But just had to. Man, just felt too right. Nobody else really kind of blew me away or got me nearly as interested. I mean, but to Philly's arms, you're talking. This is after Painter Abel Tyler, Phillips, Seth Johnson, McCarry, Moise's, Chase Nade, his Graves, Jean Cabrera. But yeah, Castiania, I mean, he's got a really good fast ball. He's got can be at times just a devastating breaking ball to both sides. Showed some lengthy through some fqos. I didn't notice though, and something that I didn't think about this season. Kind of wonder about his effectiveness versus lefties, especially you know, a major league caliber lefty.
Speaker 4: I wonder with how much he relies on that sweeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, he may be a weapon short of really getting to that next level. So you know what's that give him a cutter. So that's something that I kind of want to keep an eye on. But if you're not familiar cast On, you, I think really had a breakout year. He's Venezuelan, He's twenty three years old. He ended in double A. He got a little roughed up, I think his second to last outing, but he had some really dominant performances execution wise. Would I say that he is like the greatest I've ever seen, No, he's still he could still tighten tighten execution, I think with all of his offerings. But I think with that slider being so good at times that you know, he doesn't have to be the most precise guy. But I also kind of think that this is He's the reason why the Phillies had no problem letting Aldegari go. You know, so we shall see. I'm hoping maybe he gets a chance in the Biggs this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a big co sign for me, and I would have picked Ca too, but I knew that this is Nate's guy. He really was harping on how good Iverson was really early in the year before anybody, before I saw anybody else talk about him. So this was. This was a Nate call through and through, and yeah, I like Cassiano a lot. The strikeouts are there, the execution like it can get a little bit variable at times, but he's a very good pitcher and I think he does have a great shot to contribute to the major leagues and soon. So I think you probably got me beat on this one, but it's I just gave it to you because I knew that he was your guy.
Speaker 3: His eight double A starts, forty and one third innings, three point seventy nine ERA, a point nine to nine whip. He struck out almost thirty one percent, walking five point six percent. That's not too shabby.
Speaker 4: Very good, Very good. All right, Who on earth did you pull for the Nationals? Cause I gotta say this was tough.
Speaker 3: It always is, man, it always is. Last year, I just went with like a repeat and he didn't even pitch all year because he was coming back from Tommy John. But you know, it's so hard with minor league injuries. We don't get a lot of information, but I'm gonna go with who it might be the same story. I don't even know if we're gonna see my guy this year.
Speaker 4: If it's the same one that I picked. I'm gonna laugh so hard.
Speaker 3: He was the first year college arm last year and I was gonna pick him, but I was like, man, I didn't really love it, you know, But now I guess I do. And part of the reason why I'm going with with Liam Sullivan it is it is who had two starts this year and.
Speaker 4: It starts I know.
Speaker 3: And I think he went down with John I think. Yeah. But dude, okay, so William Sullivan, you're talking. He's listed at six to six. I don't know how many pounds a lot here. Yeah, he was a thirteenth round pick from Georgia in the twenty twenty three draft. But now when you watch him, tell me if you think I'm way off base here. But in the in the like pitching evolution tree, he's like a I feel like he's like a cousin of like a like a maybe a distant cousin, but a cousin of like a Herder and Mitchell Parker kind of mix.
Speaker 4: Hmmm.
Speaker 3: He's got I see some overlap. He's got a big like sort of curveball from the left side, like uh, like Parker, and he was like built kind of like Herder.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Although although I don't know if I don't know if you watched him last year at all, one of the reasons why I got kind of excited. I mean I use that very loosely, but wanted to pick him. Here is our guy here lost a ship ton of weight this last offseason. Dude.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: He was way bigger after the draft, and I turned him on at the beginning here I was like, damn, dude, they putting in the work getting fit. But I think he a ball. I don't think he was going to be there for very long this year. I mean he is. He came out and dominated his first two outings, and he's just he's too good for a ball. I think there's some funkiness watching some of his releases and release points. They're just like his hand just like looks weird to me. Boy, we're talking like us off toss and lefty right nine ninety two, ninety three on the fastball, maybe ninety three. But he's got I think a pretty good change up. I think he's got two good breakers. I feel like Sullivan kind of fits us that at least the guys that we went with last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I he was my pick for a lot of the same reasons. I think the thing that I saw in the brief little looks of last year and this year for Sullivan was that he really had a solid plan of attack for righties and for lefties. And the curveball's probably the best pitch there, like the Mitchell Parker that when he leans on that, he was stealing strikes all over the place with that is a big breaker. But I also think he gets pretty good extension. So his fastball played up pretty much when he was throwing that in the zone, like guys weren't hitting it or they were popping it up. It looked like that combo was really tricky for both sides of the plate. But then the slider that he would feature against lefties, like they looked awful against that pitch, I thought, yeah, And then the change up, I agree with you. I think it comes out looking kind of funky.
Speaker 3: Because we don't get a good angle of him. That's true, and there's and there's such a small size. Yeah, and even last year, but yeah, yeah, I don't know, you watch enough like I'd be willing to bet that this stuff is pretty decent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tend to agree with you. I again, This isn't some like warning signal like oh my god, when he comes back in June or July, you must pick him up or whatever. This is more like remember the name Liam Sullivan for when he does come back, because if it looks like he did right before he went down, he's going to be a fast mover and might be the best arm in the NATS minor leagues like immediately, because the only other guys that are worth a shit are high up in that system and are going to be major league contributors really soon. Everyone else that is like low ownership and in the NATS system is poop. Like it's so bad.
Speaker 3: You're talking Cavali Secora, Susannah Rutledge, Klemmy Brad Lord was maybe their big like B side breakout.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you you noted him out of the draft last year, right, like that was one that you had sound like might be interesting. I don't know if I did, but one of us did, like we I remember talking about him a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then like then like you're saying, even there guys that are like six percent down Cole Henry head whack and Cole Henry no, thank you. Yeah, I mean part of taking Sullivan is like, I actually am legitimately interested in him and seeing what he does when he comes back. The rest of the guys, I'm like, I don't really care. Although I think you did pick a I thought you picked a pretty decent NAT's B side last year. Though Andrew Alvarez had a really good year, he's still rasted at zero percent in September. I'd take I'd take him over half those those other guys we just listed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and I considered going back to that well, but it's just like the strikeouts are not going to be a thing for him, and the walk rate ticked up a little bit this year. I think he's really going to struggle to be a useful Yeah, big leaguere not that he won't maybe make it and get some starts, and in a super deep league, maybe that plays for you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Sullivan, he felt like, you're kind of guy too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wondered when I was going deep in this and I was going to take somebody that had like very few innings on under them, I was like, I wonder if Nate's going to take this guy too, because there's not a lot else to lie.
Speaker 3: And I was real close to taking them away. I actually had like his video last year, like cut up that I was, but yeah, I don't know. I checked out at the end.
Speaker 4: Because well our first shared pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go, and those have done well, Matt, when we come together, they.
Speaker 4: We both like a guy that that has generally gone pretty well.
Speaker 3: But with Sullivan here, he might not. Even if he does take off or do well, that might be well passed. Like pop up season really might be the bat J.
Speaker 4: He got TJ in April, so that's early in the season at least, so you know, call it fourteen months.
Speaker 3: But I do like the man. I think the potential of him like moving quick to get him like caught up like I think, is very much there. So who knows, Maybe we see him in double A at the end of the last of next year. Yeah, all right, So those are our NL East B side arms for twenty twenty five, Matt.
Speaker 4: Now guys in there, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: So this's when we talk about those loser hitters.
Speaker 4: There's some good ones in here. You can't say there's losers in this in this bunch.
Speaker 3: They're losing.
Speaker 4: I know we've got I know we've got at least one overlap here.
Speaker 3: All right, the Atlanta Braves. Matt, you're is it what your second team?
Speaker 4: They're my They're my original, my first team. Can't you tell by my Southern accent.
Speaker 3: I actually was kind of surprised. I found a young bat that I really liked quite a bit in John heel Gil Healing. I think I was calling him one because on the broadcast they call him. I think like it's like a it's like a but but John Gill Jan Heel g Al Yeah, but a young Dominican who got in thirty nine games at a ball. I know there's a couple of Discord members that I think are interested here, but I might be. I mean, I don't want to give away my my draft stuff, but this is one of my more favorite B side selections this year. It's a shortstop listed at six ' one. I think that's probably about right. He's kind of interesting because I think he's way more athletic than the build. Might you know, aesthetically he might look. Now, I time this on video, so you know, take that for what it's worth. But he had well it's on the video. It's on the video that I'll share. But from out of the box to first or no from from contact to first he had like a four. I think, yeah, yeah, it was. It was super fast. And that was just from the video the video editing timer, So I think he's super fast. I really tried to make an effort more this year Matt to watch defense on guys. I tediously went through. I can't say there was really a lot to see from him a shortstop. You know, some of his games weren't broadcast. There was a lot of like charging a ground ball, making a nice throw. I didn't find any like diving stops or anything like that. And he didn't hit a home run in a ball. But I did catch a complex game where he hit a home run and there was some like game day stat cast stuff or whatever, and he hit a ball one hundred and five point one four hundred and eleven feet, So you know, maybe there's a little pop in the swing. But I like the look of him. I like the look of him at the plate. Thought he had some pretty nice at bats, seemed very much in controlled and you know, eighteen year old kid didn't seem like out of his element. In one hundred and fifty nine played appearances, like he only hit two oh four slug two fifty five. You know, nothing out standing there. He struck out twenty three point three percent of the time, he walked twelve percent of the time. But I think Clegg had noted some some metrics and stuff that he was interested in. But yeah, a young shortstop here that I kind of like the look of, and you know, maybe he can he can pop like some of the young arms did last year. For me, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like heel a bit too. The speed and athleticism are definitely his calling cards, and he's got a solid plate approach. I would say, I wonder how much that's going to hold up, considering I don't think there's gonna be a ton of impact in the bat, at least that hasn't really been a part of his game so far.
Speaker 3: He had three complex home runs this year, for whatever it's worth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to be fair, the lower miners for the Braves aren't great places to hit in general, So that's something to note that even if the power doesn't really show up next year, he's he's young enough that even hater aide me with the whole projecting power thing, I still think there is some time for him to grow into a bit of power and the speed seems real and he does have a decent idea of the strike zone and he's an up the middle defender, so all those things are positives for heel and I like him quite a bit too. He's a solid B side pick in this org.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and part of it also too is I probably just wasn't really super in love with a lot of bats in this system at this raster percentage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, though the Braves have been a fruitful B side and ground for us. Joe had another really solid year and Drake Baldwin was maybe my biggest success last year, and Grisom in the past and Grissom in the past, so this is another one. And I kind of considered going for the guy that looked a little bit like that archetype this year in ej Xposito, Like I really flirted with him because he does have that well rounded profile that we like and has some similarities with some of the other guys, like not elite power, but a solid glove, good speed, And I did consider it because I liked quite a bit about Exposito, but I went a different direction, and you know, I'm not in love with this pick, Like, I don't think he's going to be in my top half and not in consideration for my draft for the bats. Just to tip my hand a little bit, but I'm going with Ethan Werkinger this year.
Speaker 3: That was my runner up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's an outfielder. They slotted him in all three slots. I think he can play a decent center field and would be maybe a hair above average in left or right defensively speaking, just from the looks that I got, I think he's pretty fast too. He's a right handed hitter. But I got a sub four second time on when he beat out and infield single to second base. It was like a two hopper did the second basement field of like just just to the shortstop side of second base bag. But he beat the throw like pretty easily, and I got like a three seven time on that run. But I think there was something weird with how the broadcast cut the video, like it definitely wasn't actually a three point seven second time, but it looked plus, which made me sort of surprise. That he only swiped nine bags in a full season. That was a bit weird to me. So I caught six times and got caught six times, so like maybe he just is a crappy bass stealer. I don't know, but he seems fast to me so and ran a decent babip too. There's not a ton of power here. He popped twelve homers over five hundred and forty five played appearances, but he spent a lot of time in hya and double A, which for the Braves are horrible parks to hit home runs. We noted that with Drake Baldwin last year, so I think there might be a little bit more power in in the bat. There nuked a homer off of Casey Hunt that I saw, who was really really good. You know, we didn't talk about him a ton this year, but he's somebody that I threw on.
Speaker 3: Was it off his fastball today? Yeah, highly skeptical.
Speaker 4: Of Yeah, it was off the fastball and he missed the spot, but it was still nuked.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 4: He put that one out by a lot. So I say that just as like hitting well off good pitchers, it's not something that is necessarily indicative of anything in the future. And his Nate said that Hunt's fastball is definitely his weakest pitch, but it was just a nice a nice signal that working your he might be a little bit better than he He seems from the surface line stats and has the look of a fourth outfielder to me, like if things break right for him. So I again, this isn't a stud for me. This isn't a sound the alarm kind of thing. But I liked the well rounded of the approach and think there might be a little bit more under the hood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think he's in the AFL right now. I think I don't think he's getting a lot of run though I don't think I done anything too remarkable. He is Rule five eligible this year, but I doubt anyone would would snag him.
Speaker 4: I doubt it as well.
Speaker 3: It kind of checks out. I kind of feel like he's got a bat ball profile that kind of fits you a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and both heel and working dur both zero percent on September twenty seventh, zero percent rostered.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Miami because I think this is my favorite guy.
Speaker 3: Oh really, I'm interested?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, really like this cat by far my favorite in Miami's system and is Yeah, I'm pretty excited about him. His name is Ryan Ignofo. Wouldn't be surprised if people haven't heard of him. He's a converted catcher, so he is a is a catcher for but didn't catch in college. And they were just like, we think you're a good player and athletic, go behind the dish, and I'm usually super skeptical of that. Like catching is the hardest defensive position in the game, it is rare that this kind of conversion works out swimmingly. But I didn't watch a ton of his defense. I still think it's a bit of a work in progress. But that's not why we're here. We're here because I think this guy can low key rake and his swing is kind of hilarious. I wish we had some of the batted ball like attack angle stuff that they've teased in the major leagues and they have some of that in stat cast, because this guy might have the flattest swing in minor league baseball, and it's super short. He's a short dude. He's like five to nine. I think he's listed on Fangrafts super short levers. He is really athletic, looking like almost looks like he should be a running back somewhere, really like deceptively fast and strong and bowling ball. Ass has some in common in that with like Gustavo Campero, because he swipes bags a lot, like he's I think he stole twenty one bags this year, struck out eleven percent of the time across the low A and high A. This year, only hit six homers, so again, like power isn't a big thing for him, but he again swipes bags and he hit thirty four doubles. That is a lot of doubles in four hundred plate appearances. Yeah, like he is a doubles machine. Because this this motherfucker just like line drive, line drive, line drive and corner to corner. I watched one game. I forget who they are playing, but his first step out of the game was like a two strike slider off the plate and he just hits a laser opposite field past the first baseman like liner, easy stand up double. Later in the game it was like an off the plate away change up. I think that fooled him and he kept his hands like super short and just still line drive over the third baseman's head and hustle around to for a double. Uh, the exact opposite way. But like line drives, either direction and same result. So dude just like hits tons of doubles and steals bags. Seems like maybe they are gonna let him stick at catcher because he only caught this year. Yeah, I think it was my favorite guy of this bunch, just because, like I had no he was not on my radar at all before this exercise and has like some ty France, light ty France, but athletic kind of thing to him, Like he's never gonna hit a ton of homers, I don't think, but he doesn't swing a miss. He's pretty aggressive in the zone and just hits line, drives all over the place. So yeah, kind of a fun guy.
Speaker 3: Ryan Ignofo, Yeah, he was a twentieth round pick out of Eastern Illinois in the twenty twenty three drafts, so.
Speaker 4: This last last rounder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I like that. He was definitely on my short list here. I kind of himmed in had There are several guys that I thought could make for a great B side call in this organization. That wise, I was surprised to see Andrew Pintawer was only one percent roster back to September, So that was kind of like, I'll go with him for sure, that's a no brainer. But that felt a little I don't know, I didn't really feel b siding to me, like, I think he's a you know, he's probably gonna be roster more than one percent once the new season kicks off and people start catching on, especially now. He's having a pretty pretty hot little run in the AFL right now too. So there's that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a good he's a good little player.
Speaker 3: He'd be yeah, for sure. Came over from the Diamondbacks and whatever trade it was. I still am interested in Wilfredo Laura pick from last year. Ye. And I think Jared Cerno was is kind of interesting to me as well. He was in September. He was at zero percent interesting I know. And he's like top ten guy on according to a pipelines list.
Speaker 4: For them, And yeah, I amount still too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so it was HInM in hard a lot, but and I went with a guy who esthetically I hate, But I'm going with Johnny Olmsted.
Speaker 4: I don't interesting.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've seen any of him, yeah, a little bit at the plate, Matt, he looks like he belongs on the Carolina Mudcats, right. He's got like this horribly awkward big leg kick I don't care for. But I can't really argue with the results that he got. I don't think he started an a ball. He end up in Double A twenty three years old. He was their nineteenth round pick in the twenty twenty three draft. From USC five hundred and fourteen plate appearances, he hit fourteen home runs, stole thirteen bases, walked eight percent of the time, struck out eighteen and a half percent of the time two point fifty one three twenty two, four h nine slug a. Playing shortstop again, I tried to pay some attention to defense. I think he's pretty decent at short He's got a bad ball profile that I don't think looks too shabby. I don't know if I included this in the video or now, but I feel like when he was an able, I got something that he hit pretty hard or fairly hard, but you know, maybe a good balance approach, a little bit of hit, a little bit of pop can play up the middle. Thought I could do much worse. Just maybe close your eyes when you watch him bat. There's I liked.
Speaker 4: I liked Olmstead too. He was on my short list as well. I kind of dig the kind of goofy leg kick and oddly flat swing. That's the thing for him too that I thought was funny in watching him. But no, I like him too, and he does seem like that kind of well rounded player that is worth keeping an eye on. Yeah, I agree with you though. I like a lot of the guys in Miami system and the guys at the top.
Speaker 3: I think when Cleig was righting them up, he's like, man, they got a lot of guys. He doesn't know, like, you know, they got a lot of sexy guys, but they just got a lot of solid prospects. I think after their trading and recent drafts and every like that. But both Olmstead and Ignafo zero percent rostered cool. And you know, I imagine if those guys are Holm said will probably start in double A. They started putting up some decent numbers. Of course, that's going to get some more attention.
Speaker 4: We got for the Mutts.
Speaker 3: Ooh, the Mets, So the New York Mets. Matt this is my first dip into this year's first year player pool, so of course that's a little tricky. You know, we don't know necessarily what the roster percentage will be after first year player drafts are over and everything like that, but I figured he was a fourth round pick out of North Carolina State. I feel like fourth round picks don't get too popular, right Kapis was a third round pick. He didn't get too popular right after first year player drafts, so I thought it was safe enough. But I'm going with Eli Serrano the third Matt. I gotta say, once you'll start to notice a little trend here, once we start getting through some bats that is kind of an opposite of a big trend of ours from last year. I won't spoil it for you. Let's see if you start to catch on a little. But Serrano right field center field this year year. You know, post draft he's a lefty six ' five taller leader guy. He only got more tongue and small sample here. Seventeen games, seventy two played appearances, not totally new to me. A name that's totally new to me. I think he was fairly highly ranked by Perfect Game coming out of high school. Got I don't even know if NC State was the first school that he went to. I think he might have went somewhere else, but don't quote me on that, but I think, just like Power didn't really show up as much for a bigger guy like this. I don't think he hit a lot of home runs in college, but he did hit two in his short stint here. I think I shared some of the ex of velocities and stuff like that on the video. He can run a little bit. He's athletic. Well, his walk percentage was about ten percent, struck out twenty two percent of the time. But just like sort of just in game stuff that I liked to Like he slugged four forty four at ISO over zero point two. Just like the look of his swing. It's almost me like I'm taking another shot at like the Gavin Conticello hope, kind of similar, similar to but probably but probably more athletic than Constell. Like he may legitimately be able to play center field. We shall see. I saw I I on the video. Mat I shared a kind of a fun play. He hits this ball. It's I think it's like the bottom of the ninth or whatever, right or maybe even extra innings, And he hits this ball off the center field wall low and it takes this like really weird bounce. Evidently the camera doesn't get it. I think they were down by one. They send them and he's going around third trying and inside the parker. They call him out at home but I slowed down the replay and showed it and everything, and I don't think Homeboy was out.
Speaker 4: Oh that would have been a fun one.
Speaker 3: But he can he can move a little bit like the stroke. Hopefully it doesn't go the route of Contacello this year and the power doesn't really show up. But I think there's some some punch in there, so I don't we'll see maybe a later round, first year player, draft flyer and some deeply.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of a smooth looking swing. He's not been on my radar, so.
Speaker 3: I'll do third, all right. And I think I think Clegg gave him a fairly decent placement on his Mets list that he just came out with the other day. I know he was I know he was on there, which wasn't the case hasn't been the case with some of my other picks. I don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I have not been keeping up with Cleggs lists, partly because I wanted to come into this exercise pretty pretty fresh, and partly just I haven't had as much time got to prioritize. Yeah, I ended up really liking the cyclones for the Mets this year, and maybe it was just like towards the end of the year that a few of these guys kind of surfaced for me. But I wanted to give a nod to Jesus Bias, who I think we've talked about before. He ended up in Brooklyn and still like a lot about what he's doing. I think there's still some significant upside there as a fairly exciting youngster. I also wanted to highlight Boston Borrow, who I think for the prospect heads out there, he's fairly well known. He was a relatively high dollar signing. I think he was committed to UCLA USC something like one of the LA schools. Ended up getting enticed into the draft with a pretty big overslot offer from the Mets, and I liked a lot about him and he was pretty close to being my pick. The thing with him that I'm a little worried the power isn't going to show up in any significant way ever. Like his swing, He's a left handed, kind of smooth swinging, pretty athletic looking third baseman, maybe played some second two. Fairly athletic looking guy. Swing reminds me a little bit of Christian Yelich, but I don't think he hits it nearly as hard as Yelich does, which holds him back a bit. If the power does show up and he remains still pretty young, I think he was nineteen this full year. If the power shows up, like he could be a pretty good second bateman, I think maybe maybe third baseman. But the power, it just had me questioning whether it's it's gonna show up. Just he's still really skinny. He's really just doesn't seem a ton of impact. But I like the swing, like the swing path, I like kind of the line drive approach. So he's one that I was pretty interested in but ended up shying away from due to the power. But the one of his teammates in h a I ended up really liking, and stop me if you've heard this before, because it's similar to another guy we talked about. He's sort of an really athletic for the position catcher in Christopher Swaow. He's got strong contact skills, swiped twenty bags this year, but also popped nine homers, threw in quite a few doubles, a few triples. Like he's a legit athletic catcher. There was one game that I watched where he got plunked in the dome, like just right straight to the helmet, like first pitch, fastball, right to the helmet. They like paused the game like hey, are you okay? He's like yeah, fine, still second base on the next pitch, which I love that kind of stuff, like screw you pitch, like you dumped me up and I'm next pitch steals the bag easy. I don't think it even got to throw off at because he had such a good, good read. Yeah, you know, he's still young, he's twenty. He made it up to high A. He's done nothing but hit in pro ball so far. So Christopher Squearrow, I'm pretty interested. There was one at Bad in particular, where somebody left a slider that caught too much of the plate. Like it wasn't, you know, hung or anything. It was just maybe a little bit caught a little too much of the plate on the outer half and a little bit too high, and swear Ow nuked this thing to left field, like showed some real power. I wish we'd had EV on that because it got way way out in Brooklyn, And that one was really kind of over my eyes. Like, I think there might be a bit more power there.
Speaker 3: That's not an easy place to hit either, right.
Speaker 4: It's not. So he hit well there and had a solid overall. Again, if the power were like a half grade better, I'd be way in Unswear just because the rest of it, Like he's got a really good plate approach, solid contact skills, and I'd be I'd be like hammering the go get this guy kind of thing. But the power is probably below average, so you're really looking at like maybe this is a multi category producing catcher. And I didn't see enough of his defense to really have an opinion about whether he's going to stick there. But but yeah, Christopher Swerrow I liked. I liked a lot about him. And there were quite a few of these guys in Brooklyn in particular and in the Mets system overall that there's something interesting about them. Yeah, but Swear is my B side guy this year.
Speaker 3: I like it. I don't know if I got anywhere with this, but I was looking around because he's I think he's from the US, but he was an international free agent.
Speaker 4: Saw this when I was doing some research on him. But he was like a pretty big prospect in the Northeast, like did some Tmusa stuff. I think maybe that's where I first saw him, and then he went to the Dominican or something to reclassify as or maybe Puerto Rico. I forget, but he yeah, he reclassified and signed internationally.
Speaker 3: I think they had him playing a little bit of left field in some first base as well. Ye, yeah, no, I like that. I think I was just trying to stay away from taking catchers this year. I was really challenging myself, so I think that was the main reason why I kind of stayed away from swear. But I dig that, all right, Matt, my Phillies bat again. Probably not very shocking or surprising with my Phillies calls this year, But I'm going with Otto Kemp naturally.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we've been we were talking about him this season a little bit. Yeah, he's making some noise in the AFL. Has been pretty hot. Most interesting to me, as Clegg and I have been pointing out in the discord of latest he's hitting some hard hit balls in the air, which was something I was wondering about and skeptical that he would do much. Now, of course, this is just Arizona. A couple of weeks, so I'm not going to make too big of a deal about it. So he started off in a ball made it all the way up to Triple A. He hit sixteen home runs over the course of that season. The majority of them were while in Double A. If I'm not mistaken, and reading is a very hitter friendly home run friend that it is. So that gets me a little bit skeptical about his home run potential here. But he'll steal some bases. He had twenty bags over that, like we've talked about. I think he's perhaps potentially kind of like the demographic profile that you like of a guy who could do a little bit of everything. He can play in the dirt, he can play in a couple spots, hit for average, perhaps hit for a little bit of power, steal some bases. Undrafted free agent twenty twenty two. Undrafted free agent out of a D two school in California. But yeah, I think he's definitely turned some heads and I think he's a bona fide potential big leaguer who was rostered at zero percent in September.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is a co sign for me as well. I figured it would be. There were a couple other guys in the system that we can touch on, but just to give my two cents on Auto Camp, I think he's got a shot to be a big league regular second baseman. I question whether he's going to get to the power that you might need out of a third baseman, like a first division regular third baseman, but he could play as a fifteen homer fifteen steel guy at second base with solid contact skills. I really like his swing. I think that he's super balanced from the right hand side. He's another guy that gets to a lot of doubles power but has athletic enough to kind of beat out some infield hits and hits line drives. I actually really like his battleball profile. And I know that you and Clegg have been kind of going back and forth about he needs to hit more flyballs, and I'm not sure that that's his game.
Speaker 3: But to me, it wasn't so much like volume wise, just because we got a little bit of like stack cast stuff with him in Triple A and a ball. You know, Son, stackass as hard as hit balls, and I went back and would watch the video album more. It also just gives you the description it was like his up there ninety percent of most of that stuff was in in the ground. Yeah, and you know, he hit one hundred and two mile per hour home run or whatever, which is fine. But what I think has been a little bit noteworthy noteworthy of this AFL is he's hit some home runs one hundred and ten and he hadn't done that. He had done that all year.
Speaker 4: So I do think that that's an area where if his ground ball rate ticks up like it did at Triple A in the kind of small sample, that could get him in trouble because he doesn't do enough of the other things, like really really well to kind of cement a spot. One thing I did note he was one triple shy of hitting ten triples this year to go along with twenty some doubles, what was it, sixteen homers and twenty swiping twenty bags Like that's that is super rare that you get double digits across all of those hit types and he was just one triple shy of doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like Auto Kemp a lot. I think he's going to be a big league regular for a few years at least, which is a great outcome for this kind of a pop up guy who nobody was on out of a Division two school, so and he big thumbs up on Autokemp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was kind of he was doing some loud things in a ball like obviously earlier this year, I wanted to watch, you know, TJ and uh, you know, I'm like, who's this Kemp guy hitting some home runs and doing whatever? And you know, you gotta be careful sometimes you're like, oh, he's twenty three, twenty four in a ball like well, by the end of the year he was totally age appropriate, you know, all that stuff. And I like his splits. We're pretty decent this year. I'm nothing too concerning there, man, I think and we could, like I think Clegg mentioned we could see him in the big relatively soon, I think. And this seems like a great B side sort of free pick up in a thirty two in like points league or even rot oh or whatever an only league like now, keep an eye out or shoot take him in your in your supplemental draft if you if you want a little infield depth, and shuffle him back and forth if need be in your league allows that, Like, yeah, I think I think Kemp is super interesting, dirty muddy potential fantasy asset.
Speaker 4: Here, yep, I agreed. I think there's a couple of other interesting guys and this is some worth shutting out the season that Carson Taylor had. I'm not like on Carson Taylor as a big league regular. I don't think he's gonna catch or break through as a first baseman that way. But he had a really good year and walking a ton, hitting for decent power, not striking out much. So I just want to give a hat tip to him. That was a super impressive year. And even Keaton Anthony I liked a lot of what I saw from him too. It wasn't flashy again, not a lot of power, and I think he basically only played first base. But every time I watch that team of fair amount and every time where was he in? Reading a bit and the fight and fills what's their hi? A film?
Speaker 3: It's oh, hia is a Jersey Shore?
Speaker 4: Jersey Shore?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Blue Claws, Yeah yeah. So I watched him a bit there too, and he I don't know, he had a really smooth approach I always thought at the plate and didn't strike out a lot, which I am biased a bit towards that. I wonder if maybe it's worth it for him to trade a bit of that contact skills for a little bit more power. Like he's a guy that maybe if he does some off season training with the tread or getting the bat speed up, that might He's the kind of guy that if you see some reports around that, like, I might be really interested and watch his first couple of weeks pretty closely, just because he does the rest of the hitting part really really well. If he strikes out like twenty two percent of the time, but now a ISO was like two hundred, that could be a big league first baseman. But as is, he's in interesting contact oriented first baseman, which tough path to walk to the bigs. But maybe there's more in there, Like he's got a good frame and everything too.
Speaker 3: Undrafted free agent out of Iowa in twenty twenty three. But yeah, it's at first base, right right handed first base sort of yeah thing, But yeah, I mean, can he can swing at some for sure? They got a couple of former b side Marcus Lee saying is doing some things in Triple A, playing some center field. He was a little interesting.
Speaker 4: I got Buddy Kennedy. I can't quit him. I love that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, the Phillies are always interesting, man, in my opinion these days, on both sides, arms and bats, they always got some guys, all right, Matt, we're always saving the best for last year. Huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Washington Nationals, they've got plenty of good young prospects. It's just when you get get to these levels. I don't know, man. I think my least favorite bat that I picked, I don't even really have any good reasons other than he was very young and playing in full season. He's got his dad was a major leaguer, and like, it's not like reasons to love a prospect, but you go, that's where I'm at with this organization, and there they're zero to like one percenters. But I was gonna go with Rafael Ramirez Junior. His dad was shortstop for the Braves for quite a while. And then I don't know if you were playing fantasy back when he was a shortstop, but that just reminds me of like how horrible shortstop was for fantasy. When I first started playing, it was like one or two guys, and then after that it was like Rafael Ramirez, yeah, whatever else. But Ramirez came over from a trade in Cleveland. I don't even remember. I think I put in the video or something, but I don't remember what the trade was he. I mean, his numbers were awful. Combined his two A ball stops with both teams hit like one eighty three, two ninety nine, three oh six. I think two of his three home runs were broad broadcast. One was awful. One I got a good look at. I don't think he's a shortstop. I think he's maybe a second basement and I think it's because I think he's got like a noodle arm. Honestly saw him have to make some throws from deep shortstop and stuff, and it was I mean it was rough. But he's very young. Maybe he's got a chance. I can't say that he's totally done for or anything like that, and I don't know. It's interesting to me that the Guardians had him like starting off the season and playing in a ball They got a lot of good young guys that could be playing up the middle for them, So I thought that was a little bit interesting. And who knows the way that the Nats roll because of his name. Maybe you see him in the futures game and he really probably doesn't deserve to be there. But maybe that gilds popularity, but that's it. That's all I gotta say. I didn't have I didn't have any any guys I really liked here, So throw him out there.
Speaker 4: Surprised we weren't gonna go for is he pineda again after his sixteen WRSC plus this year, you weren't going to go back to that well for a third time.
Speaker 3: No, No, the man he made the big leagues like that, he did. I didn't pay much attention to him this year. The Hope boy. They had to have been like hurt or something like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he only got like half a year.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, something right there. Plus man catchers man so so volatile.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. Yeah, I mean, I hear what you're saying. Rafael Ramirez Junior. I owned him when he was with Cleveland on a couple of teams, I think, And I think, oh really, I think Cleig even had had shouted him out as a potentially exciting full season guy either coming into this year or something, and so I was like holding on in a couple of places and hadn't watched him much. But then I watched some of them this year because the stats weren't ticking up and I was like, I think, you know, roster crunches whatever. I think I ended up cutting him loose in a couple of places I had him.
Speaker 3: I brik out the time. Well, let's not talk about him anymore. This is not worth it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and my my b side pick here isn't great either, Like my notes on this guy are. I don't think he's going to make it as a regular, but there's something here in the uppers that maybe he carves out as a below average fringy guy. Philip Glasser is my guy. You know, he played some second, some third, little bit of outfield too, you know, so so some utility almost in three hundreds.
Speaker 3: A little bit about him. Yeah, and he just got added. He just started playing a little bit in the AFL. Just oh I didn't see that, Okay, Yeah, he just got like added to whatever team. Nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he almost hit three hundred. He was honestly pretty close to having a four hundred on base. I like his plate discipline skills, definitely good contact, but I think he makes pretty good swing decisions too. Has a bit of a hand rock, you know, he kind of starts his hands like almost in front of his face, not quite Luis Kempensano in San Diego, not quite like, but has some resemblance to that from the left side, and you know, he gets some back, but I feel like there might be some more impact in there if he got rid of that like weird rock thing. But his contact skills, like I said, are quite good. You know, he only struck out fourteen percent of the time this year made it up to double a. Yeah, only eight homers, but he did pop twenty three doubles, so it's like more gap to gap power Again. He looks to me more like a light hitting utility guy who maybe he plays decent enough defense that he'll accumulate a little bit of PA's and the bigs. But I wasn't blown away by this. He's in the bottom ten percent probably of B side hitter selections. For me, I just think, like, maybe he makes it, but if he does, there's not going to be a calling card. You know, he's swiped twenty three bags, but I didn't think that he was like particularly good at it. So anyway, I'm not super sold on him. This NAT's B side system has been tough for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, And I kind of had a feeling that you would go with Glasser, So that's kind of why I crossed him off, because I didn't want Glasser to be a guy that we both Yeah, fair Go signed down because I didn't think it was that good.
Speaker 4: I agree with that, I love, I didn't love a lot of other options in our range, and Frankly at the high end too. You know, I'm a little bit of a stinker about some of their bats, but yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I did almost go with Sam Peterson, yeah, my eighth round, and I'm a little bit familiar with him from college. But there, well, there was like seven games he didn't really do anything, and I was just like.
Speaker 4: Some bags showed the speed, which I watched a couple of those. But no, he was. He was on my short list, and I think Frankly probably is a better upside pick than Glasser, but we just got to see more. So he was more of a like, let's keep an eye on Peterson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there wasn't even like anything to like make a good video with with Peterson highlight. But yeah, the Nats not really our most exciting place to mud the last couple of years. Matt. Yeah, but Glassroom a mirror as both zero percent as they probably should be although I think classer maybe falling more into that potential thirty team or like guy, it might get you some AB's relatively soon. Yeah, I'm Matt, is that did we run through twenty guys? Do we do it?
Speaker 4: I think we did? First off season B side pod in the books? Is this like season two for us? We're gonna do seasons?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're kicking off season two. What else are we going to do in the off season? Man, talk about some potential losers potentially now losers.
Speaker 4: Maybe get some sleep at some point.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you hanging out with us, came through some of this. Some of these guys are gonna are gonna get more popular, Like that's just gonna happen. Some of them we may never speak of again. Who knows?
Speaker 4: We'll always speak of them again? Will if only to throw it in each other's face that we made such terrible picks.
Speaker 3: That's true, but I will. I think last year, even though it wasn't the most maybe the most fruitful or as fruitful on the bat side that we wanted. I think at least the guys that were total stinkers, we kind of knew that they were probably going to be total stinkers. But nonetheless I like to go through every organization. It makes me really do my homework and pick one guy I guess throw it out there. All this kind of really stems from the question of like, hey, which guy from this org this list that you made made do you think might pop up this year? And these are my best stabs at it, These are our best stabs at it, I.
Speaker 4: Think so indeed, indeed.
Speaker 3: Maybe some of that will help you out. Maybe not, I don't know, but you can follow me on Twitter at pitching Specs. I'll be dropping videos of these ten guys, and then if I have some time, maybe I'll make video of some of that's guys and just give you a little visual to go along with that next time around. I don't think we've decided what division we're going to do next, but we'll do another one and do this five more times, maybe have a little bit of a draft sort of thing, and then we'll maybe get into some first year player stuff this offseason. That sound good? Love it?
Speaker 4: Love it?
Speaker 3: Right on? Well, thank you and be well. We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 4: See you later.
Speaker 1: Five miles an hour riding to his head, he hopped down the first with the lump on his face, and on the very next pitch he up and stole second face.
Speaker 2: With gretest speed. He wasn't born. He had the dirty yes uniforn