Speaker 1: The most refreshing way to start your day. Shower, shave and sean they're done. The courtesy flush is old ways appreciated.
Speaker 2: Thank God, thank the good Lord.
Speaker 1: Thank you from the management team here at Sports Talk seven nineteen.
Speaker 2: Back to Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be really, really, really cold in Kansas City. We talked about a little bit yesterday in regards to the weather and how it's just gonna get colder as the day goes on. It's the playoffs. A lot of these teams that you're going to be playing outdoor stadiums, it's going to be cold. So Demiko talked about the mindset going in to a cold weather atmosphere.
Speaker 4: The weather can be a challenge if you allow it to be a challenge. For me and for our guys. It's something we can't control. You don't control the weather. All right, wherever we have to play, we're ready to go play. We understand we'll be on the road, is gonna be cold. That's that's what we have to deal with. And it's not a it's not a challenge for us. It's just something the other team has to deal with as well. So we're ready to go there's no excuses about weather. We gotta go suit up and we gotta go play ball.
Speaker 5: Gotta go play ball. You can't control the weather man. The reality of it, though, is it's a funny thing. I don't know if you've ever felt this. It doesn't matter what level of sports you played. That feeling of you know, the game's coming, it's a big game. You know it's gonna be cold or rainy, all those things that go and like on a Monday, you're like, yeah, we got to plan a game, but there's a party that thinks it's never showing up right, Oh the weather, we will. And then when you wake up on game day and it's game day, yeah, and the world's watching when I say the world, the football world, and you're one of eight left, and it's getting more pressure and the more you and you know how this goes. Have you ever had that point when you're feeling pressure, not feeling right and or ill prepared for something, and then it's cold.
Speaker 2: You're colder, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's that feeling of you're even more like nerves bring out make you even feel colder. It's weird. I don't I don't even know how to explain. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but that feeling of the playoffs Sean, you're starting in your first playoff game, Oh cool, I got five days, and you think it's never coming. And then you but you prepare, you think, oh it's okay. It's a long and you blink in his pregame warm up and you're like, I gotta beat Denvers. Yeah, or I got to beat whoever I'm playing right and with them, the Kansas City Chiefs and all the challenges are there, but I'm with Demiko Ryan's on one thing and it helped me in my career. Listen, and I don't mean this arrogant, but if I could have played in bad weather as a California guy, yeah, it's really weird. A lot of my best player play ever was in either rain, snow, cold, inclement, where I almost felt like it was my advantage of whether it's mental toughness or size too you could grip the ball, but whatever it was, I tried to spin it to my it's my advantage because that guy suffering, But I don't know, I'm not suffering over this.
Speaker 3: Do you think it was because you thought more about the the conditions rather than the game plan, or rather than I got to complete this pass. So I I'm trying to relate it to the best game I ever played in college. I was hungover as all get out. Well, it took away game. You'd have a built in excuse for your I wasn't thinking about I wasn't thinking about pitch sequencing. I wasn't thinking about is he going to try to pitch me backwards? It was literally I went back to the most simple thing, seaball hit ball, and I was like I went off on a weekend because I was completely hungover.
Speaker 5: I'm convinced that some of the best games I remember a high school game I played. I was sick, like I mean sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was a high school football game, and I was I had like a lower abdomen like strain, which was that's brutal painful at quarterbacks. Oh god, dude, I were playing against our arrival. I wouldn't have missed it for you. You to have to kill me before I miss that game. Yeah, Sampa squall Golden Eagles, And I take that back. It was a Sampa squad we got to It was Escandido High School same. There's three of us. They were our other rival, and we're at their facility, and I thinking being pregame, t how am I get through this? And then and then the abdomen You're like, I don't know how it's going to did. I could have closed my eyes, thrown yanked out of my eye and it would have gone right to the guy I was stilling it to.
Speaker 2: It's just you know why, It's that it's the building.
Speaker 5: You don't you take all the pressure off yourself because you almost build in the excuse. Well, if I don't play, not for out outward, if I don't play well today, I got a built in excuse.
Speaker 3: And what it does It actually frees up your mis It makes you freeze. It's like you play back in your backyard recess fuel.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. So it also with the mental part. Listen, there are times when hey, we can't control the weather, can't let it bothers now in a driving rainstorm where it's a deluge of rain and the ball you literally you see him hold a towel or one of those type of rainstorms. Listen, it's hard to throw any It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter if you got King Kong hands right, the you can wear a size seventeen extra large, it's still miserable because the guy catching it it's tough on him too, and you can't see and people are slipping. Now in a snowstorm, that's just regular snow. And I've always if it's raining or inclement weather, offense always has an advantage. You know where you're going, you know where your cuts are. Defense is a major disadvantage. So but the cold and a little snow, Listen, you hope it snows because if it's too cold to snow, that's miserable. And then if it's not quite cold enough to snow and it's rain and that's miserable. You want that one where it's snow, hopefully not windy, because when's the worst of them all, because it affects you going into it and with it, and you want that. That's the feeling you want the snow. But for me, I never wore a glove on my throwing hand in any weather. I wore one on my other hand, just to you know, try and get some sense of warmth. And then you have handwarmers in that little pouch that we wear. But I never I always wanted to have my hands on the foot of the grip of it, right, but it was it was mental and it was tough.
Speaker 2: But I don't know how you get to it.
Speaker 5: But you've got to get You've got to convince yourself throughout the week because the game is coming. Saturday will be here, and it's coming here quicker than you think is you go through the same preparation. And the truth is you just can't overly grind yourself on it. It's gonna be cold, it's gonna come.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 5: It's not like you can start like when you hydrate, start drinking water and Tuesday from when you're going to play Denver and you're hydrated, or it's one hundred and ten degrees out, you're not going to stand outside with you with your hands on your knizz zuts, you know, at midnight at night for the next three nights, thinking you're gonna get used to it.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 5: It's the mental side. And once you get rolling, it's good. You play well, you'll get hot quickly, you're miserables, get your ass kicked. It'll feel a lot colder. So yeah, but to me, and I think to me, because right it is simply why was Far so good in inclement weather? His mental toughness with it. He used it to his advantage. A lot of them do. It's the one who comes into the game and it's like, yeah, you know, if you start convincing yourself.
Speaker 2: You're going to be miserable the whole time.
Speaker 5: Good lucky, fulfilling prophecy, and it could be missing and it's gonna be cold as balls. But you're either gonna come out of this game you want regrets or you mean you're gonna come out of this game saying, man.
Speaker 2: It was cold.
Speaker 5: We got our ass kicked and now we got to explain it. Or do you want to come out of this thing? I was freezing, but we want and they'll let them explain why the cold was bad? Right, So it is and you know it's like threshold of pain, same thing here. Yeah you either And like I said, it'll affect everybody if it's a delusion. You can't see the ball, you can't see receiver because rain and sideways and windy, nobody can operate. And you hand the ball off and hope you win the game, survive. But if it's cold, and I'm talking about fifteen degrees eight togree. Well, and if you can't handle it mentally, then you then you probably better have an off season where you change your shift to paradigm or find a way to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just the way it works. Uh.
Speaker 3: Demico Ryans talked about the swarm mentality and what it does for his defense.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it next