Speaker 1: Welcome to dorky Out. My name is Sonia Mansfield and you're overcooking my grits coach. Joining me is my podcasting sister from another Mister and the coast of dorking Out, Margot d Hello, my friend.
Speaker 2: Does the terms.
Speaker 3: Unusual punishment have any meaning to you?
Speaker 1: None at all? None at all. It's Super Bowl weekend, so we've decided to talk about a football movie. We are dorking out about two thousands, remember the Titans. This is a Margo pick. Margo loves the same.
Speaker 3: Hi. Yeah, you can blame me if you're upset.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, nobody should be upset because there's there's nothing to be upset about with this movie.
Speaker 3: It delivers what it's supposed to exactly.
Speaker 1: It's directed here you go, boz Yankin, I think is how you pronounce it. Written by Gregory Alan Howard, it stars Denzil Washington, Will patten Wood Harris, who I apparently he was a professional football player at some point, but I always know him as Avon Barksdale from the Wire. That's what I know him from.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I haven't seen The Wire.
Speaker 1: In ages and Ryan Hurst, Donald Faison in the Donald Faison role.
Speaker 3: Who does Donald better than Donald Nobody.
Speaker 2: He's fucking got it figured out.
Speaker 1: He really does. And he's got like he's got that goofy smile and he doesn't age. No, he looks exactly the same, same he and our Cinio Hall and Peggy Lipped.
Speaker 3: It looks for people like it's Christy Brinkley, Like they don't age, they're the same. Weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, Ethan Soulfly, so play you play. He's really I think he's really good in this too.
Speaker 2: He's so good he makes me cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then Hayden a little baby Hayden Panetary.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's She's just a little we wandered adorable.
Speaker 2: Everybody drank, everybody drink.
Speaker 1: Also, little baby Ryan Gosling so good, so cute.
Speaker 3: Yep, what a cutie.
Speaker 1: And then Kit Pardue as Ronnie Sunshine, who would.
Speaker 3: Have been totally my type. Oh my god the seventies I went to high school.
Speaker 2: I would be following him around, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, every like all the girls like looking at him. Oh yeah, and they're like he's from California and they're like, who cares?
Speaker 2: Who cares? I get it. I'm like totally like.
Speaker 1: He would have, He could have had all of this, He could have had all of this love. If you haven't seen Remember the Titans, which I hadn't. I thought I had and watched this and was like, I have not seen this. You should you probably we're gonna spoil it, but you probably know where it's going because it's based on a true story and it's pretty obvious where it's going. It's said in nineteen seventy one in Alexandria, Virginia, the schools are integrating. Guess what people have thoughts and feelings about that, and that includes the football team. So they Denzel Washington was the coach at the black school, Will Patton was the coach at the white school. They integrate, they make Denzel Washington the head coach over Will Patton, which he is not pleased about it first, but you know, joins the team anyway, and racial tensions run high, to say the least. But if they want to win, they have to work as a team. They have to work as a team. And this movie is you could put it in a block with something like Friday Night Lights that really capture how big high school football is. Some communities, like the whole community is obsessed with the high school football team and they root for them. They everyone goes to all the games, whether you have kids in the school or not. They you know, all the restaurants have their signs like that they can like eat and drink for free or whatever until they eat them out of.
Speaker 2: Until exactly that. I crack up every live.
Speaker 1: But like, I think this really captures that sort of vibe. And this movie's really good, Margot, I'm glad.
Speaker 3: Oh good, thank god.
Speaker 2: I was worried you would be like, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, like it it. You know exactly where it's going.
Speaker 3: It's they're no surprises really with it. Yeah, but at the same time they do stick. You know, it's formulate storytelling. It's about people becoming nicer people, but some people don't.
Speaker 2: Some people stay assholes.
Speaker 3: There is that party is like, oh my god, it was so different back then fifty years ago, Like is it though, yeah's happening happening right now right now. It's whatever. I don't I just find it a very I mean, I do like sports stories because of that, because it's usually about overcoming stuff, and it's overcoming the mental and the physical. And that's why I enjoy about sports and I it's like I was saying to you yesterday, like it's a lot of cute boys, it's got really good music. It's you know, it's a really good message that they're sending. Yeah, I don't think it's too sweet either. It could be a lot more syrupy, you know, in the wrong hands. I think it's like I think there's sometimes where it's almost like jarring, how really it is, like how the racism and stuff.
Speaker 2: But that's a good thing, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Denzel Washington's character is not the most likable exactly, Like they don't they don't sugarcoat him. I'm not sure he ever particularly like he's really really hard on this team. He takes over and he really busts their ass, like he does try like a boot camp. Like there is a point where like one of the players asks for water and he's like waters for cowards or some shit, and like makes them all fucking run until they puke. And it's like, well, that's not cool.
Speaker 3: But it's also the seventies for sure. And I know when I was a kid, our schools were like because I grew up in the East Coast, It's like it was either too hot or too cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like you had a fucking deal with it.
Speaker 3: And I knew a lot of guys that were into sports in football that Yeah, they would pass out on the sidelines when they had to start practicing in August. Yeah, it's humid. They do two a days, which are brutal. It still happens, by the way, every year around the end of summer, you'll hear about unfortunately, you'll hear about football camps in this country, football camps around the country where kids are passing out, killing over, if not dying, yes, because actually, yeah.
Speaker 1: They they gloss over that pretty cool, Like he doesn't learn to be nicer.
Speaker 2: No, that's not his journey.
Speaker 1: No, that's not his journey. It's not with the movies about.
Speaker 3: Right, and appears the guy was a real asshole in real life, Like he's not very likable like that, like kind of a bad coach.
Speaker 2: Really, I mean it was abusive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not the story we're telling here exactly. And there's no arc for him, Like he's right, he's the same from the beginning to the end. Will Patton. He has a little bit of an arc, like, yeah, a little bit of way. It's really more for the it's the students that go through a change, like they're the ones that there A lot of the white kids are really they're fucking racist because they were they grew up that way there.
Speaker 3: If you meet the parents there and the community, it is a very segregated community. Yeah, and Virginia is considered the South in America if you're not familiar, even though it's on the East Coast. And uh, yeah, like we said, it's like in the sixties. You know, in the seventies there was a lot of bussing that was happening, so kids were being bussed to different schools and the interest of quality or trying to level things out. So in this school they're having it's like they had a black high school in a white high school and now they're mixing them both together. And uh, people are freaked out. And they did, and we need to understand that. And they still do, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, Yeah, they still people still freak out about this.
Speaker 3: I know mine, I'm in Brooklyn, like where I go to you know, where I don't. I don't have kids, but where people have kids in schools, it's a big deal to get them in a local like within a few block radius the school's there, because if you don't, then you're on your your kids on a subway.
Speaker 2: Half the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. San Francisco has a lottery system here. Yeah, my kid, I mean my kids in a social program. So like there's only like four schools maybe that have what Calvin needs, but like in general, like there's an elementary school down just like a block from me, and Calvin couldn't go to that school and he may not have been able to go to that school even if he wasn't in a special program. They everyone is bussed around here in the right let's go it's and it's to keep it like, to keep it integrated, you know, and so that.
Speaker 3: Kids do better integrated schools. By the way, that's been like that's been proven, absolutely proven over and over again. The best thing that happened with education in America was integrated kids forced forcing the integration. But it's the forcing part that gets everybody their nickers in a twist. And people don't like to be told what to do and it's childish, but what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's really interesting is in the movie they are bringing They're gonna now they're going to integrate this team, and you know, they have all these white kids who've always played all these positions and now they're and then this all these black players who also played these positions, and it's like the best you know, the best man for the job kind of thing, right, And the white people are like, no, no, I've been here since i was a kid.
Speaker 3: No, my brother played here, my dad played here. I've been on this team. I've been on JV. And now I'm a senior. I've always been cornerback. I'm gonna be the cornerback, and I'm not giving it up for this other kid who just swoops in out of nowhere. But if the kid swoops out of nowhere is awesome, of course you used him.
Speaker 2: That's just life too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's like two things going on here. There's the people in the movie who would rather shoot themselves in the foot then not be racist. Basically, they're like, I would rather not play football. I'd rather not support the team, like whatever they hurt themselves rather than let than not be racist. And then there's the people that are so competitive and so into sports that they're like, once the team starts winning, they're like, yeah, fuck racism, and definitely like two different groups going on, but all the stuff where he merges the two teams, like makes them like integrate on the bus and that's who their roommate is and watch and kind of letting the kids figure it out themselves of how to relate with each other. And they do it a lot through music, which is why we get so many needle drops in this movie. And the music is so good. It really is, And I don't know that's the stuff in the movie I like the most is when they're starting to click with each other, when they start bonding over music or Ethan playing this character Louie who has just come in and he's like, oh, I heard there was football and I like to hit people. So he doesn't care about black or white. I think they established that he's poor, so he he's just like, hey, I'm just happy to be here kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And he right, he seems like.
Speaker 1: The gateway to merging the whole bringing the whole team together. Yeah, he plays such a lovable person that everyone starts to like him. There's that, but also there's the two leaders, and that's I'm going to look up their name. What Harris, who plays Julius Campbell that's Avon Barksdale everybody. And then Ryan Hurst who plays Jerry berd Berdiyer. I guess who apparently was on Sons of Anarchy. I didn't watch Sons of Anarchy, so no.
Speaker 3: He was also a show called Taken. I think he was in Taken, and that was not the leam Neeson Taken, like I'm under the Bed and that's not that that Taken. There's another Taken that was a sci fi series on a sci fi network and I'm Steven Spielberg produced, Oh and d Coodea Fanning Coda Fanning was it? I loved, loved that show.
Speaker 2: It was so good. It was so good.
Speaker 3: But the budget, I know somebody like was a part of it, and they said it was the sound the soundtrack for that. It was like five episodes or something. It was like because it whenever it was a very American. It was different decades in America, and like the budget for that and the and the songwrites for that made it almost impossible, like they I don't even know if it's been on DVD, but anyway, forgot unless it was so good, so good.
Speaker 1: But these two they are both like running backs. I think I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Ones on offense and ones on defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they are in they are roommates and right, they definitely don't get along at first, and then there's like this unlikely respect and friendship starts to merge or emerge. Sorry, and I don't. It's like the best part, it's the best part of the whole movie is their little is their friendship and how yeah he tried, like and I'm sorry his character's name is Ryan, or sorry, his character's name is Jerry. Jerry like tries to introduce him, tries to introduce Julius to his girlfriend played by Kate Bosworth, who's also adorable, but she's so racist she won't even fucking shake his hand, Like, and he just doesn't let anybody tell him that they can't be friends, Like I like.
Speaker 3: This stuff where their when they start off their own training camp and they immediately and Denzel Washington's like, you will be at a suit and tie when you show up at the bus at seven twenty nine, not seven thirty.
Speaker 2: He's a hard ass, like right off.
Speaker 3: Such a hard ass, I mean, but that's what they need, Like it's what everybody needs kind of like just because they have to follow orders that's the whole thing. And so he separates offense and defense, so it doesn't matter if you're black or white. Like if you're you play for the offense, you go on one bus. Defense you go on the other bus. And then he makes them be mats with each other. And that's when he breaks down those barriers, which I love from Miracle where herb you know, the hockey thing. They're they're like, we broke down the barriers between the guys from the white guys from the Midwest and the white guys from Boston.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing? And I love that story, But it always makes me laugh when they go, we broke down.
Speaker 3: All their barriers, Like really, were there a lot of barriers between them?
Speaker 2: I mean, here, you've got some real barriers.
Speaker 3: You've got a sociological experiment basically that they're they're going through because they're the first generation that's doing that, that's integrated, and they've.
Speaker 2: Always it's always been something else.
Speaker 3: So I like it when they're because they're near Valley Forge and it's one of those cases where they're using the Civil War correctly. I hate it when people use the Civil War to bring the Dixie people. You know, to fetishize that whole fucked up shit. Yeah, I'm viewing for the Union, by the way, that's my big hot take. That's my hot take is I for the Union and all that we should all be sikes. I know that's t twin peaks and made me crazy, that whole thing where they were acting out about civil war and maybe nuts anyway, So they're they're at that battle, and he's making the case of like these guys fought in battle.
Speaker 2: They didn't care who was next to them.
Speaker 3: They just wanted somebody to be you know, they just had each other's back, and that's what's important.
Speaker 2: You need to have each other's back. So by the end that I liked it.
Speaker 3: By the end of their trip there, they are bonding with one another like through music and their families and dance and other things that they're into.
Speaker 2: But by the time they're done, most.
Speaker 3: Of them, most of the kids are like bonded like tight. But there's a few racist white guys that are like you know, and you know, these guys, they're the ones that are pissed off about de Ei nowadays, like they will scream and.
Speaker 2: Yell about that.
Speaker 3: These are guys, like I've always been on the team. How come I'm not on the team anymore? Why is it that guy? Well, that's not fair. And it's like, well, he's better than you. You had sports is ever better than you? It's that's who wins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, And there's Ryan Goslin's character. Ryan Gosling has a small role in this. He's and he's he's so little and young, and his whole thing about like put in Donald Faison like he's better than me. Right for him to admit that is a is a big deal. And like a lot of the people on the team, they have to trust each other or you're going to get a concussion out there. You're gonna get hurt, right, really really hurt. And like Jerry at a certain point realizes, like one of his best friends is still so racist and shitty that he's letting some of the other players get sacked and get hurt because he would rather.
Speaker 2: Them get hurt than him to protect a black man.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly, which is which is messed up, but yeah, messed up, but that's what was happening. So that's like that's the story, Like, and so doesn't Yeah, I always I find that always find that really and I also love this where Jerry's on the phone with Kate Bosworth and she she wants him to say he loves her. Yeah, he's like, And all these guys are on line and they're like, no, no, I can't, I can't, and think goes, I love you baby.
Speaker 1: They're ah. So they're in their camp and then Kit Pardue shows up and I guess he was a quarterback on his team and his dad wants him to be a part of like a black and white team. His whole thing is like, if these men can serve because he's like in he's in the army or something. He's like, if these men can serve together in a war, they can play football together. This is and he doesn't want him going to an all white school, right, and so he joins the team and he's got this long hair, so handsome.
Speaker 3: He's so cute, I mean, so seventies, like the bukaells totally so calif yep, and it would have been exotic to all those girls. Oh my god, he's Coloria, what my god. And he's not a racist shit bag, Like, no, he's totally cool.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, no, I want to play on the best team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He doesn't care. There's a whole thing where like he gets a haircut and then for some reason he kisses Jerry. I don't understand what that was about.
Speaker 3: But they kind of are making the case of like he's from California, his long hair, he must be gay, which is another thing that they're all But he's like, I don't care, call me gay. I don't give Yeah, he's really progressive.
Speaker 1: He's super very progressive.
Speaker 3: Right, He's very comfortable in his own skin. I mean he's got handsome skin, so whatever. But he's but yeah, he's but and then there's a whole thing Donald fays On. He's like, starts talking to the girls. I have a crush in Sunshine. He's like, he's from California, don't you know that? And then these other guys are giving him a hard time for talking to the white girls.
Speaker 2: So there's always this tension.
Speaker 1: Always they can't win. Yeah, there's also a whole segment where they all learn the power of yo mama jokes. Yes, I'm a fan. I love your mama.
Speaker 3: Your mama jokes, my back hurts. Some care of your mama.
Speaker 2: That always makes me.
Speaker 1: Well, it was so funny. Is one of the black students makes the joke about someone about a white guy's mom and white guys don't. He's like get it. Yeah, he's like, what did you say about my mother? And then like Julius is like hang back a minute, Like he's like, give it a minute so you can see where this is going. And it's all like your mama jokes, which I used to have a whole book of your mama jokes.
Speaker 3: Oh I've got some good ones. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I gave it to my niece Laura La and then she was obsessed with your mama jokes for a while. It's it's real good.
Speaker 2: It's the dozens.
Speaker 3: That was what it was called when my dad was a kid, which is he grew up in far Rockaway and the dozens is like the dozen insults you could throw at someboddy. Basically, it's just it's like insult comics like Don Rickles or something, but it's just insulting each other. The shoes and your haircut and you're this and you're that. It's just it's a form of love. But it's like hard for tea, Yeah it is. Yeah, Yeah that part really cracked me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what else do we get?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: We get told that. So Denzel Washington's character, you know, he becomes the head coach, but of course you have to be perfect if you want to keep your job, so they can't. He can't lose a single game. If if they lose a game, they are going to they're going to fire him. But he doesn't seem to ever tell anybody that. But they go on to surprise, they win every game.
Speaker 2: The Titans do really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like, you know, it was a benefit to integrate the team, and they they absolutely win. There's a whole thing where like a bunch of the white parents are like, we're not going to let my kids play, or there's a whole thing where they're going to make the refs are gonna not side with the Titan right, So that Will Patten's character can be head coach again. And he's just like this is fucked up. Don't like I'm gonna tell everybody what you're doing, because he he just wants to coach football, and he wants the team to win, and he.
Speaker 3: Wants it to be fair. The best person I'll get the job. If I'm second best, then I should have the second best job. Like he's totally fine with it, Like he understands, like the merit is actually what you can do, and when you're in a town where there's more competition.
Speaker 2: You have to be better. That's just how it is. Yeah, and so the best best people get picked.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think he finally he acknowledges at some point will Patten's character that he wasn't the right person to bring the team together. It needed to be Denzel Washington to integrate this team. They needed a tyrant basically basically, and he's not a tyrant, and he well, no.
Speaker 3: But he was like, I mean I would say, he's what's the word I'm thinking of. I mean, it's the benevolent dictator, Like he he has a decent Yeah, he's there for the decency, but he's also there to win games. And he's also there like it's my way in the highway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but he's not wrong.
Speaker 1: I also love the relationship between the coaches daughters. I think it's pretty cute.
Speaker 3: It's cute. Hayden Panit here is like obsessed with football and I guess the dad's a widower and so it's just the two of them. And in real life, the coach had four daughters. Yeah, and it was, but he based it on they based it on one dog because that you know, it's a show business. They have to like take the stories. And I love Denzel's wife is so beautiful, like beautiful, and his daughter is like a total press and like hates football and doesn't give a shit.
Speaker 1: But it's so funny because the Hayden keeps talking about football and Denzel Washington's daughters like, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I literally don't care.
Speaker 2: You're poor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they they do sit together and they're excited watching the game too. It's very cute. It's Yeah, their dads are friends. Yeah, their dad's are friends. Sometimes you got to make it work with sometimes the parents are friends, and you got to make it work. We got to make it where I would normally hang out with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's life.
Speaker 1: It is life. Oh. So they they win their they win their game or a game, I should say. And then there's a whole thing where I didn't know about any of this. This was a surprise to me. They are gonna celebrate and Jerry's out driving his car aw and he gets hit by there's an accident and he is paralyzed. I did not know that that's why this movie was going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a gut punch, But I remember the first time I saw it, it was like a gut punch to me because I was I was sort of like, where's the story going?
Speaker 2: Because they still have some more time to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they had a whole thing where Jerry's mother like really didn't wasn't into her son having a black friend, much less a best friend that was gonna come over all the time and hug her, and.
Speaker 1: I do I love that? Like how Julius basically just yeah, he just shows up and hugs her and like kind of breaks her down, like you're gonna like me, You're gonna like me. There's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 3: But your son and I are BFFs. You're gonna have to get used to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so he's they they kind of gloss over Jerry's acceptance of what has happened to him, like he seems he handles it like a real champ in this movie.
Speaker 2: He really does.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does. But you know the whole thing about like Julius comes in and the nurse's like only family, and he says, you need your eyes checked. That's my brother, and I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, I know me too.
Speaker 2: I'm a sucker for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like pretty quickly like Jerry's like, I'm paralyzed, but I've heard of this thing called the Paralympic and like I was like, wow, that was record time, Jerry. But it's a movie and they got to move things along, so it's pretty fast before Jerry's like what are you gonna do? Like, which you know, he's based on a this is all based on a real story.
Speaker 2: It's all based on a real story that really did happen.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, he spoiler, he passes away due to the injuries like later on in his life.
Speaker 1: So they say that I he So he did win a gold medal for the shock put in the Paralympic Games, but then he was in another car accident for he was hit by a drunk driver.
Speaker 3: Oh, and I was like, Jesus, how much could one person tell? You know, I was like poor Jerry, right.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: And that's how they open the movie and you don't realize that until later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know they're all together for a funeral and you don't know whose funeral it.
Speaker 3: Is, right, you assume it's the father or somebody older, but it's Jerry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spoiler spoiler. It is really sad and so but there is still like one more big game and Jerry is watching it from his hospital room and they keep cutting back to him, and you know, they win. They win the big game. Everybody yeah, yeah, which you know they would like, Yeah, they do a big comeback in the fourth quarter. Everyone plays as the team they win. The other coach actually shakes Denzel Washington's hand, which seemed to not be a thing at any of the other games, because again, everybody's so fucking racist. And then it goes back to the it cuts back to the funeral and it's again I was like, poor poor Jerry, and Julius is there with Jerry's mother and they're like holding hands and like they sing like a really sad version of that like hey, hey kiss him good. I was like, oh my gosh, like the saddest version of that song. It's so sad, you know, And then they give us a little like and then this happened, and this happened, and it's you know, Denzel Washington's character coaches for a while before retiring, and I was like, but did he retire? Because I think he.
Speaker 3: Might have been.
Speaker 2: He was fired.
Speaker 1: It was for yeah, yeah he was not.
Speaker 2: He had some issues, you know.
Speaker 1: Apparently Will Patten's character coached with him for like a few more years. They were actually really good friends. Jerry and Julius were actually really good friends in real life, like and everyone else like basically goes to college and stays in the city and works and whatnot. But the Jerry stuff, I was like, what the fuck? All the Titans.
Speaker 3: And Hayden kind of tear her character in real life that it's based on the daughter that she's playing.
Speaker 2: She died.
Speaker 1: She died at like thirty four.
Speaker 3: Right from a heart issue, from a heart condition, I know. So yeah, you never know when it's your turn. That's my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's really like tell I think, no, you go.
Speaker 2: I just really enjoy this movie.
Speaker 3: I know it's predictable in some pieces, like it's you know, it is following stuff you've heard before other films, especially films about sports and race and that kind of thing. But I think it does it really well. I think it's got kind of an edge to it. I think it also has really good performances. I think the music is really cool and interesting, like it just feels like it's a part of that time. It gives you a sense of time of place, and you're really absorbed in it, and you really do care about these people. And they're not. No one's perfect. I mean, people have their bad days. People get mad for dumb reasons or not dumb reasons. I also appreciate the scene where you know, Hayden Panita staying over at their house, you know, hanging out with a daughter, and then somebody threw a rock in the window, which is what really happened to that coach, and of course her father's upset.
Speaker 2: About her being a part of this.
Speaker 3: And and Denzel Washington because you know, he was a tough guy. He's like, I'm glad she saw it because she needs to know, like this is you know, this is what my daughter puts up with. Anything that makes me feel And it's right, you know, it's okay for your daughter to experience it, but not you know, for his daughter experienced it but not yours.
Speaker 2: Like it's terrible that both of them go through.
Speaker 1: That exactly, and well, and it it addresses those things, but it addresses it pretty quickly. Yeah, And I feel like mostly honestly, and I just I really like this movie. I was really good that you suggested it, Like it is it other than the stuff with Jerry, which again I didn't know was coming. Like this movie's pretty much exactly what you think it's going to be, right, I'm okay with that, Like, yeah, it's okay, Like this is a good movie for I think I think more younger people should probably see this movie.
Speaker 2: Like I think so too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, we can be like, well, let's really train it's predictable or whatever. Yeah, but there's a reason it.
Speaker 3: Like it works and it's a lesson. We still need to talk about that. That's why you keep repeating it. It's not like we're all okay, we don't need to hear these stories anymore, Like, no, it needs to be and you need to feel it like.
Speaker 2: You're a part of it, Yeah, in order to understand it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good one. And I think all the young actors do a really good job of making us care about them, making them, making us understand where they're coming from, with the accept with the exception of someone who plays a real dick and he's just a dick till the end. I forget that character's name, but he's the front player. Yeah, that gets kicked off the team. I'm like, he's kind of a dick.
Speaker 3: Oh, but you know who that guy is. He's just an angry white man. Like his whole life, He's gonna be a pissed off dude, like always gotta.
Speaker 2: Feel grievances from this guy.
Speaker 1: Right, Nobody understands the trouble he's seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it put up. Yeah, I'm really suffering.
Speaker 1: There's no opportunities for guys like me. Yeah, yeah, sure, sure chance. Would you like to hear some of the other movies that came out in two thousands? Yes, please, or I should say two thousand. In the year two thousand, these movies came out Scream three. Oh wow, it was already three then, and we're already up to three by the year two thousand. I'll try not to keep saying it that way.
Speaker 2: That's a good movie.
Speaker 1: That's Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I people, it's definitely a book versus movie kind of argument.
Speaker 2: People get.
Speaker 3: I personally like the movie better, but it's sad because it was filmed in Thailand. I believe it was a very It was this not a resort. It was an island that they found that was the middle of nowhere. And then ever since this movie came out just twenty five years ago, now like it's all been decimated, like that ecosystem is gone.
Speaker 1: That's really sad. Yeah, they well they've been hit with multiple tsunamis.
Speaker 3: And what yes too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first Final Destination came out.
Speaker 2: What's Final Destination?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's the movie where like people get a glimpse of their death and then it happens.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know this movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like one of those like you're like, oh, I hope I don't slip in the shaft and die, and then they do or the person in it. Oh, good question. Let me look it up. I'm trying to remember. I don't think it's in this first one. It's in maybe the second or third one. But there's this whole thing where like a person is driving behind a truck that has like logs sticking out in the back, and you'll never guess what happens. The truck stops suddenly and the person like rear ends and like log like knocks their head off basically. And every time I see one of those log trucks, I'm like fuck that getting another lane. The cast includes Ali Larder, Tony Todd, Devon Swa. I think is how you pronounce it. It's so early two thousand, Sean, Sean William Scott, Oh Stiffler, Yeah, Kurse Smith from Dawson's Creek. Oh my god. All of these people are so early two thousands. But there's a whole series of them. There's like, oh my god, how many one, two, three, four, five? There's like six of them?
Speaker 3: Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're those first couple are pretty entertaining if you you like the horror movies, which I know you do. Twenty eight Days.
Speaker 2: Yes, good movie.
Speaker 1: That's the one with Sandra Bullock and she's in Oh.
Speaker 3: Is she she's going to rehab? Yeah, rehab movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to be confused with twenty eight days Later.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm taking it tweight days later. Yeah, twenty eight days is. Yeah, there's it's It's fine. I rather Adam Risky likes the rehab movies.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm not as fond of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Shanghai Noon.
Speaker 2: Who's that? That is?
Speaker 1: Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan Oh yeah, uh, it's it's very light and entertaining. I love Jackie Chan, like, especially like early Jackie Chan movies. This one was like their attempt to do like a rush Hour, but instead of Chris Tucker, we get so it's it's the opposite, like Motormouth versus like Owen Wilson's so laid back, like, hey, I'm like laconic and I'm just a cowboy trying to do my cowboy things like it's entertaining me myself and Irene.
Speaker 3: I never really liked that one. It's Jim Carrey and is that with Renee Sallwigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like dating at the time too.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: I don't recall particularly liking that one.
Speaker 3: The Patriot, that's Mel Gibson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember being a good movie. I don't know if it's still if it holds up, but.
Speaker 1: It's it's okay to still hate Mel Gibson, but you might the movie might be good. I had never seen it, actually, the tow of the Tao of Steve.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: I saw it back in the day, and remember it's like definitely about like a certain type of man. It's funny. It came out in two thousand because it's I'm like, it's very nineties to me, like that kind of man that I don't know, he just like he sleeps with everybody, and there was something about him that rubbed me the wrong way in the movie. But it's supposed to. It's supposed to. And then there's like one girl that he thinks is really cool and you know whatever, it's fine. It's Donald log Is the Star's I know.
Speaker 3: Somebody worked on that and they said he was really great. Oh good, I'm really good guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was on a TV show on FX called Terriers that I loved, loved, and I think they only did like one or two seasons and it ended in a place where I was like, we needed like another.
Speaker 3: I think he was also in a he was in a sitcom, I think, and I think my friend worked on that and she was and she said that he was amazing, like I'm so yeah, yeah, he was great.
Speaker 1: Another football movie, The Replacements.
Speaker 2: Which I haven't seen in a long time.
Speaker 1: I have. I don't think i've seen it since the theater because I would see anything with Keanu Reeves, and I wonder I bet I might like it more now, to be honest and then the last one is Girl Fight.
Speaker 3: Filmed in Brooklyn. Gleason's Jim. Yeah, that's a that's a real fun movie to sit through, so fun. It's a riot.
Speaker 1: Michelle Rodriguez was really yes movie, but yeah, it's it's it could be a bit of a tough watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what your This came out in two thousand, It was in June.
Speaker 1: It was Oh, I didn't write down the date, but I believe you. Okay, I look it up right now if you like remember that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just trying to get We're going to talk about the top ten songs from that year. September September of Okay, so the year, the week in the year. This came out in two thousand, September fifth or something. Number ten Creed with Warm Arms Wide Open. I had a freend that would play this over and over again.
Speaker 1: Creed was not my thing.
Speaker 3: Creed was not my thing either, and she would play can Take You, Oh My God. Number nine Christina Aguilera, Come On.
Speaker 1: Over, loved that first album.
Speaker 3: Number eight Nelly Hot Shit Country Grammar.
Speaker 1: Boo Nelly thumbs down.
Speaker 2: Thumbs down.
Speaker 3: Number seven Cisco with Incomplete even know the song listen here's a great song. Number six Matchbox twenty all in small case, small lowercase letters, bent because of the Barbie movie. Yes, Yes, Number five three Doors Down, Cryptonite.
Speaker 1: I'm going to push you around.
Speaker 3: And wow wow, I'll be your super borrow crypt at number four. So they do sound the same, they all melded together. Number four Destiny's Child, jump and jump in.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I like that one. Love that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Number three Janet doesn't really it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Jennet Jackson.
Speaker 2: I assume Miss nat Yeah, Miss Jackson, nasty.
Speaker 1: I'm nasty.
Speaker 2: Number two ninety eight degrees, give me just one night.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one.
Speaker 3: I don't know that one either. I wasn't a fan of number one, but I love the song. This is not everybody likes it, but I love it. Number one Madonna Music.
Speaker 1: Oh No, I love that song.
Speaker 3: I love that song.
Speaker 1: I loved the whole album. I went to the music tour to see like I spent.
Speaker 2: Me. Oh, such a good album I spent.
Speaker 1: I was working at the newspaper then and I made no money, and I spent all my money to get a ticket to see Madonna.
Speaker 3: I'm so poor, but she's a good show. I have to.
Speaker 1: She did put on a really good show and it was totally worth it. And it just meant that I kept showing up at my friend's house around dinner time and I was like, Hey, what are you guys doing? They're like eating dinner? Oh really, what are you having? What a coincidence that I would just show up?
Speaker 2: Beat me for?
Speaker 3: I mean, how many parties like cocktail parties to go to for things you didn't give a out like book launches and other time all the fucking time. Because all my friends are PR people, So I was always going to parties and that's how you eat sometimes, Yeah, eat my weight in or dirs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're looking to get a reporter or a PR person to come to your thing, promise them food and booze.
Speaker 2: That's how are you gonna do.
Speaker 1: I went to so many like community meetings, neighborhood meetings, just so.
Speaker 4: I could eat because I was so like, yeah, on the real estate shows too, they always show that when they're doing a house and they have like the food and the like just have food and yeah, people will.
Speaker 1: Show up yeah yeah, and we'll be like can I bring up plus one? Yeah exactly, and bring someone else from the office who also wants to eat, Like, yeah all the time. What else are you dorkying out about?
Speaker 3: My friend I am working out about Scamanda recovered Scamanda on our show and we had the woman that's the producer for this one, Charlie Webster, I think that's her name. Yeah, she was on our show for What a Creep? And so this is the documentary based on her podcast. And it's the second episode and it's on ABC, Slash, Hulu, Sash Disney if you have any of those, you should be able to see it. And it's the second part and just somebody faking cancer. And also, like I forgot about this part of the story is that she was a stepmother. She started as a babysitter for this woman and her husband and they had two daughters and one of them had leukemia. And then Amanda became close to the daughters and the husband then winds up having an affair with the husband and then they gross and then they got custody of the girls, and they made the mother look like a whore like whatever that they were saying about her, yeah, she's a messed up person, Like this is somebody like they were showing pictures of her with a shaved head. She like, I got cancer and she looked fresh as a daisy, Like she just looked just happened to have really really short hair basically, and it's just really I mean, it's also takes place in the Bay Area, and yeah, yeah, the blogging world, which is interesting, but I don't like, for somebody like you who's been through cancer twice, these stories much must infuriate you.
Speaker 1: When this happened, absolutely, and I've had cancer twice and I blogged through the whole thing. I was blogging anyway, and so it was just a continuation of what I was doing. But to hear that like somebody, it's just fucking making it up and doing like why do you want that kind of attention? I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And she was at a church and at her church she was like the star of the church, and uh, it just like gets really messed up. So part is about that's part of the story which a lot of people ignore. And then it's like, what is up with that woman's husband marrying the babysitter who was only like twenty four as she had like a nine year old stepdaughter that she and I'm not saying that that doesn't happen her people can't fall in love and that they you know, my step parent can be an amazing parent, and it's like two moms for a kid.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a great thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't look at it as necessarily a negative on its own, but I do sit back and I'm like, what is going on with that guy?
Speaker 1: Well? And you know, who knows? She's the kind of person who is clearly like not right in the head and very manipulative. Right, who knows what she did in that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Not that he isn't responsible for his action. He's one.
Speaker 3: He's one hundred percent. Yeah, you never hear from him in anything. So that's why I always wonder, like what was his deal? Anyway?
Speaker 2: So that's on that on Netflix.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've been watching it just I think it only dropped yesterday, the day before, but it's Apple's.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you if you started it. I haven't started it yet, but it's got a similar thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, So you and I also talked about this one creep. Belle Gibson is her name, and she was an Australian woman that was a food healthy lifestyle influencer slash blogger. And she's another one who said that she had brain cancer and stage four and that she was curing herself not by medicine but more of products like Apple's. And I used to be a fitness blogger and I knew people who would promote stuff like this, and it was so to see like the message of like there's there's haga, I guess they call it or MAHA, which is make America Healthy Again, and it's all this like everything is against science. Everything has to be natural, and it's like, y'all, batulism is natural, Okay, you don't want it. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for you, and just because something is synthetic means it's bad for you.
Speaker 2: Like you do have to make informed choices.
Speaker 3: But she's someone who once again attached herself to a cause, and it turns out, spoiler, she didn't have cancer. But she was a part of a movement of people that were like, don't get chemotherapy, don't get this or that.
Speaker 2: Do you understand what you're geting chemo therapy? They're killing you.
Speaker 3: Well, they're killing the cancer, and like, yeah, that's the whole fucking point not to kill you, but it is to kill the cancer. So unfortunately, but they don't just kill you with it. I mean there's a whole steps and that they have to go through. I mean these under to think that all everybody in medicine is just in it for the money and they don't give a shit about people is really ridiculous because they deal with people all day every day, and they do become attached to people, and they do like want them to live, and they want to be, you know, strong, and they want to be a so worse of information and comfort. And people have different skills and some people don't have great bedside matter, but doesn't mean they're not a good doctor, and it doesn't mean don't listen to them.
Speaker 2: Yes, and just because.
Speaker 3: Somebody's lovey dubby, it seems so approachable and they put things in ways that you can understand, doesn't mean they're correct. It just means of putting a pretty bow on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and they wanted people want things to be easier, and it's like, I'm sorry, having cancer is not easy.
Speaker 2: There isn't no, there isn't.
Speaker 1: A BuzzFeed list for you where it's like, here do these five things and you two can beat cancer. Like it's that's not gonna work. Modern medicine is amazing.
Speaker 2: It's a miracle.
Speaker 1: And the fact that there's this very vocal and I'm a minority of people that want to convince us otherwise, right, can kick rocks with open toad shoes, like this is not a medicine is amazing. And yes, chemo fucking sucks and they are like, kind of you're fucking up your body to kill it. It's yeah, and it's really hard.
Speaker 2: What does that without thinking about it first?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but drinking apple seizer vinegar is not the same thing and it's not gonna work. And the fact that we also got a documentary last year about that woman on Grey's Anatomy and made me have lies who also faked cancer. And it's like the idea that people would fake something like this to get sympathy, to grow their careers, to get the attention. It's so gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, h yuck, just.
Speaker 1: The I gotta watch these things.
Speaker 2: So it's based on a true story.
Speaker 3: But then they have a character that's sort of a algamum of several lifestyle bloggers, let's just say, and it's a woman that's refusing all treatment for cancer and then shock, all shocks, she gets cancer and then dies. So it's but it's also like you have to be really careful the messages you send out to people, and especially when it comes to medicine. And I used to have friends and people that would just be like raw foods.
Speaker 2: It's all raw foods.
Speaker 3: It's got it.
Speaker 2: You all.
Speaker 3: You can't cook it, can't cook it, it's bad for you to cook it. I'm like, you've got to be fucking kidding me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've watched countless documentaries when I was diagnosed with cancer. Yeah, one was, and one of them was called like it was like crazy Sexy cancer or something like that.
Speaker 2: Those women are fucked up.
Speaker 1: And her whole thing was like I think it was like rough food. No, not her scene and like all of that, and she had these she has these little spots of cancer in her brain and like they are not growing anymore since she took on this diet. Now is it the diet? It could be, but maybe not, like maybe it's just not related to that, but it's still fascinating and she's not hurting anyone. But people watch those things and they're like, well, maybe I can just stop my cancer with juicing and eating raw food, and it's not going to work for them. And it's like they could have been doing the medical maybe they could have cut this off earlier, right, and now it's farther along, Like it's just it's not a fucking game. It's just it's not a game.
Speaker 3: It's not And people, like you said, they're always looking for the easier answer, and it's so easy to demon on and it's for a good reason, you know, big pharma and insurance companies and the.
Speaker 2: Food industry and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Like it's easy to make villains of people and then decide that everything they say is wrong or incorrect. But it's there are so many people that act. They go into the profession to actually take care of people and help people and be healthy, and it all gets mixed up. And this is why I say, you know, RFK Junior is a danger because he takes he's taking all kinds of thing. He's saying all these dyes and food are actually giving you the cancer when it's not the dyes and the food, or it could be a part of it, but heat or seed oils. You know, it's all these things that he and that he's going to that are like it's another snake oil thing of just like you know, and it's it's hurting progress and it's hurting scientific progress. There's a one character where the father of this woman who has cancer is saying, look, if you had a house and you had plumbing issues, you wouldn't call an electrician, you know, you wouldn't call a decorator, you would call a plumber because well, my body is not like plumbing. I'm like, it kind of is like you have a circulatory system, you have a respiratory system, you have your brain, you have skin, you have blood.
Speaker 2: Like there's all these different things. You get the expert to do it. No, I like this chick on Instagram, I vibe with her.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I would rather take the advice of someone who like went to medical school, is trained in this, like it's literally their job to keep you alive, as opposed to a woman on Instagram who knows how to google things like that's it's it's fucked up. They're praying Like people when someone tells you you have cancer, right, it's really fucking scary. Surprise, It's really really scary, and like some people will do anything to get rid of that fear. And you have to trust, you have to like put your faith in the medical system and do the right things, and you have to advocate for yourself with doctors and and all of those things. And it's really hard. And again, like a woman on Instagram is not going to be your answer, or man on Instagram who's.
Speaker 3: Or anyone on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you need to go to the doctor. And if adults want to make those decisions for themselves, whatever you do. You But it's when kids get involved that it's like those kids are fucked.
Speaker 3: Like but some of these people are doing that, It's like they have kids themselves and they're not doing the thing that could absolutely you know, extend their lifespan.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: I understand the fear and wanting to try everything you can to ye live, but absolutely but also y'all listen to your doctors, get vaccines. Yeah, do what you need to do, and just be careful with this holistic stuff, like there's a reason why we have science. I'm just saying, like, and.
Speaker 3: Cook your food please, you know, people got really sick from like undercooked meats and things, sir, or.
Speaker 1: Just discussed anyway, back when I ate meat, I was one of those people that always overcooked my chicken. Yeah it was so Yeah, I don't need meat anymore, so it's not a problem. But like, yeah, I was always afraid that I was not cooking my meat, locking up. Everything was overcooked. I was the worst, the worst, the worst. It else.
Speaker 3: Also on Max at HBO Max there's the fear of Ditty. It's another p ditty.
Speaker 2: What a fucking tool this guy.
Speaker 3: I mean also talk about going back to the early two thousands and just the kind of fame he had and what he got away with for so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is just he's like a few.
Speaker 3: Miles away from me by the Costco by the way, oh Brooklyn, right by the big costcoself.
Speaker 1: A dollar fifty dollar and go wave outside his cell.
Speaker 3: It's suck one of the busiest costcos in the Tri State area. And it's like anytime I've gone there, you can't get parking. It's just like but anyway, Yeah, there's a big gym there. So it was the guy from Nexium was there. Luigi's there, the guy that killed the studio, So we have a very famous prison. Anyway, that's Max. The p Diddy one. I was starting to watch that, and then of course Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Real Housewives Assault.
Speaker 2: Lake City City.
Speaker 1: Oh so good.
Speaker 2: So Lake City just had their final reunion.
Speaker 1: Specials them gonna miss them while.
Speaker 3: Their break they're filming in a couple of weeks. Angie was on a podcast the other day. Oh bah, and she's excited. She became a star. She started the season. On the first episode, she went up to one of the cast members, Meredith, and she actually literally took out a scroll and said, I have a problem from you from last year, and these are all my grievances and started reading them out loud. She became the star of the show. That's how amazing this show is. Yes, you have no idea what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: She decided to bring it and she brought Mary along for yep, she got married to like actually participate and join, which turned out to be like such a delight of the season. Like Mary's very hard conversation with her son in front of camera that she didn't have to have and did it anyway. And also just Mary is like so naturally funny, like.
Speaker 3: One of the funniest people, and talk about people like who are saying the things you're thinking, and they just do it and you it just makes you feel like the cast is insane. They're in these bananas situations, but sometimes things happen on there that are so real that I've fried watching this show this season. Twice I was crying, crying, crying. I I don't know if I like these people, but I find them all very watchable. And it's like the best television, honest to God, like.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: It really is the best. It's like a perfect season. It's it's been a great show these last few years. This season, I think everybody thought they can't out do what they did last season because that was iconic, and then boom and yeah, they have a woman on there who's dating in Osmond and she says that she's Mormon, but she has sex that she drinks but you're not supposed to say that, and and he's a pig that like dms the other cast members, and he's the most awful, awful things and she's crazy, and it's Britney great.
Speaker 1: Brittany is the thirstiest YEP housewife I've ever seen. Now I'm not as steeped in the housewife lore as you are. But from what I've seen, I was like, she's so fucking thirsty, so desperate. Like she shows up, she just says, shit, that's not true, Like bron Win's responsible for my daughters not talking to me. That's not a thing that No, they were already not talking to you before you even met Brnwin. But sure, go off girl, Like she is like, I'm never getting back together. Jared Osmond and the editors are already like they're back together.
Speaker 3: Put a chiron on the screen that just says, yes, they can't. They got back together. There their Instagram official.
Speaker 1: Again again because they break up and they hate her, like they hate her because she sucks, like everything she said, like Andy's like, well, actually like because she just lies all the time. She the fact that they didn't let her stay on the couch for the ending thing, and she's like still with the like back there going, I want to still be on there? How come no one's saying nice things about me? You because everyone hates you. You suck. Brittany just suck, and everyone should take notes. Mary doesn't fuck with her because Mary knows that she's a disingenuous piece right and everyone else has more. Everyone else on that couch has more empathy for her than Mary's like nah nah.
Speaker 3: And then they bring up Jenshaw, who's like a character from the first few seasons. She's a woman that hair trigger temper, like a really bad temper, like she would freak out, and she had some business that nobody could say what it was like. But it turns out because it was all scams. Talking about scams again. She was scamming elderly people. She was scamming people, selling them like you know, computer programs and website designs and all kinds of things and selling them people thinks that they couldn't afford, you know, and it was terrible and she lied about it for years. Like they had the FBI show up on the show to her can't to her van a sprinter van that was in a parking lot for the remember this, and yeah, they surrounded the pan. So but anyway, so Mary, it's like, oh, I talked to Genshaw again. Shouldn't we have forgiveness? I'm like, wait a second, didn't you in the last episode open up your phone and describe all the times that people all your grievances for every little thing you've ever heard you know, that's okay, but like they're terrible because they're.
Speaker 2: Not like a but that's this show.
Speaker 3: Like the delusions, the delusions that people have are I mean the personality disorders. I mean it should be studied in psychology classes.
Speaker 2: It's it's some of that.
Speaker 3: And then they're on Beverly Hills. There's a woman who for years, she and her husband were like Disney villains. They were just very weird accents, weird clothes. They pretended they were super rich and you could never figure out what they did for a living. And then he is now leaving her and she's like a shell of herself, and there's somebody on the camera that's just like, you got to get out now. And this happened to me, and it happened to her on camera like two years before, and this is why you need a lawyer, This is why you need to do this. And she actually at one point says, but don't I have to think about whether or not we're going to get back together? He and she just the other one looks at her just as he doesn't want.
Speaker 2: You, which is the truth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's also between the eyes and it's like I sweared out, like dramas today don't write this well. I mean it's so like on the money and it's just like women in their fifties like talking. Yeah. Just it's really great.
Speaker 1: It's so good. I have not watched Traders.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's I might try that tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A friend of mine was telling me, she's like, I feel like you would like Traders and you should watch it. And she doesn't watch Real Housewives and she's like, when the Real Housewives are on Traders, she's like, they bring a totally different vibe. Yeah, She's like, this is why it's fascinating because you get like people who are on like Survivor right behaving, Yeah, and they're like more competitive and strategic about like they want to win Traders, right or whatever. And the housewives just show up and drink and say.
Speaker 3: Shit, they have their own thing. And then there's people that are on the bat I don't watch The Bachelor or the Bachelorette, but there's people like from.
Speaker 2: That world, yeah, that they have their own thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's also if if you watch Real Housewives. I'm gonna recommend an Instagram to follow, and her name is Her account is ether Underscore Ople, So it's like e T h e er underscore Ople. And she is the one who recreates scenes with dolls.
Speaker 2: With Barbie dolls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's the fucking funniest thing. It's so funny. And she's doing she has one out right now for the reunion for SS for Salt Lake City. And one of the running jokes is that all of them are these different barbies, but Whitney is like a little baby doll and like it's so girl, little girl, and like she is the the Bronwyn doll is wearing this massive.
Speaker 3: Like the little.
Speaker 1: Whitney doll is like like basically behind the trust. She's like I want to Barnes Lisa fucking Barlow and she's behind the It's so fun every Seriously, if you watch Real Housewives, you need to follow because and the and the housewives will comment on the videos and they're like, this is even better than the original. Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: And every once in a while at drag shows, it's become a thing where they'll just take a Real Housewives scene from any city, any season. Yes, the people, you you start to know them after a while, and then they act it out and it's the strangest, funniest thing you've seen it in your life because they're wackos.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so good. I can never thank you and my friend Kate enough for bringing me into the real to the Real Housewives world. It has brought me so much joy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, is there anything else on your list?
Speaker 2: Nope, that's it.
Speaker 1: I have one more thing, because I haven't watched a ton of stuff. I've been hiding from the world and playing video games. But I did go to the movies and I saw Companion, which is I don't want to because if you haven't seen a preview for it, if you can watch it without seeing a preview for it, I highly recommend it. Because I had seen a preview for it, so I kind of I knew the what is really a twist? I was like, this shouldn't be in the preview. And I saw it with my friend Fred, who had not seen a preview, and he got to enjoy the movie on a totally different level. But it stars Sophie Thatcher, who was most recently inhertic and she's on Yellow Jackets. I watched some of the first season of Yellow Jackets. She's very good she plays the younger Juliette Lewis in Yellow Jacket. Yes, and then it also stars Jack Quaid, So that's Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid's son. And he's got his dad's smile, y'all. Just saying like.
Speaker 2: He's super funny too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like hopefully, like he's not like a dad in other ways, but like.
Speaker 3: I don't think he is.
Speaker 1: He he is very good. It's basically like they're in a remote cabin. It's like two like three couples all in a romance remote cabin. I don't want to spoil things for any.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't tell you too much about it is streaming.
Speaker 1: It is not. It's in the theater, but I'm sure it'll be streaming soon. And it's it's just it's got a lot to say about like toxic masculinity for sure, and that's all I'm gonna say about that. But it's it's super good. It's one hundred percent my jam. And when it was over, I said, I think I've seen my favorite movie of the year and it's only February. Oh wow, Like I was really into it, like it it checks a lot of boxes for me. So when it's streaming definitely.
Speaker 2: She was great and heretic.
Speaker 1: She was really great. I really like her. I think I don't know she she's given star to me, Like I was, like, I feel like she's a star. She's going to be a big star. And Jack Quaid could absolutely be a big star because again he's got that dad smile, his dad's smile. Dennis Quaid was so cute back in the day, y'all.
Speaker 3: He was hot, hot stuff and good. But yeah, well he sucks, but yeah.
Speaker 1: But Companion is really really good, y'all. So check it out. I'm not going to spoil. Yeah, my list is really short, sorry everybody, But I did watch Remember the Titans, so.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you liked it.
Speaker 1: I was afraid, no, no, no, And I I all the doc the documentaries Marco's talking about, they're all on my list and I am going to I am going to be watching them. I've just been hiding from the world.
Speaker 3: Apple Cider Vinegar is actually it's like a it's a it's a they're doing a fictionalized version of it, but it's so it's not a documentary. It's like a six part series. So I'm only like halfway through, but it's very Australian. So I mean I watch a lot of below decks, so I'm used to the accident.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, below Deck down understarted. That's another I did watch that one. I'm I'm I'm all in uh surprise. I love me some Captain Jason. Margo bought me a cameo from Captain Jason for my birthday. It's one of my prize possessions. Uh, it's it's very entertaining. I'm very that's a huge.
Speaker 2: Is so fucking big.
Speaker 3: And they're in the Sacials, which is in Africa, the coast of South Africa, and they and Zarena is back and she's the chef and now they brought her to chef and he immediately.
Speaker 2: Addict to her, like he was so freaked out.
Speaker 1: But also I'm like understand where I'm like, well, she should put him to good use other than washing dishes. But like yes, so like he came off day, Yeah, he came off really shitty to her. So no wonder she doesn't trust him, right, And I'm happy to see Harry back.
Speaker 2: I loved Harry. He's such a sweetie.
Speaker 1: Someone on one of the women on here said like he's giving golden Retriever vibes and I'm like, yes, I love a Golden Retriever.
Speaker 3: Man, they're great, that's why they're a great dog. He's yeah, he's great. And then there's a guy named Johnny who's Greek, and he he comes on and he's older than everybody has the most experienced and he goes to the deck team and he's like, yeah, I'm the lead deckhand. They're like, oh okay.
Speaker 2: So then the three there's three.
Speaker 3: Guys at the bow and he has to bring in the jet skis and instead he doesn't check the jet skis for keys, and he also takes off his radio, so he starts drifting off to the seats and.
Speaker 2: The two other guys are just bullshitting in the back of the boat.
Speaker 3: He's like, hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, I have no kids. Captain Jason's like he's gonna just take off for arts unknown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like Harry's like, ooh, mister lead decade decade he got his keys.
Speaker 3: And then it turns out he's like has a total he's like a rage aholic. So he'll probably get fired at some point. It's hard to figure o who's going to get fired? And I think, uh, the the the Chief stew Laura. Yeah, I'm interested, like how she turns out her in Sarena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm missing uh Aisha. Yeah, I really miss her, like she's she love her great Chief Stew Yeah, I love her, her vibe with Captain Jason, like they are such a dynamic duo. But girl's got to live her life. So yeah, I'm happy for her to like have a season off. But I'm also like, man, I miss you.
Speaker 3: She's always great, but so great. I think they got some great people. I mean, but the ship is so huge that they actually have an elevator, and they're also the real got the steps that they were talking about, like to take the platters, Oh my god, up and down for dinner and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I used to work in movie theaters where we had to go up like two flights of stairs to do the projectors. I used to have amazing legs, y'all, because, yeah, I'm up and down those stairs a gazillion times a day. Like that's hard work, hard work. Yeah, it's such a good show.
Speaker 2: But it's a great show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was gonna say something else about the show. It doesn't matter. Oh, I was gonna say something about the guests. All right, you're gonna pack all your sex toys on your vacation. Are you really gonna ask the staff to unpack your bag for you?
Speaker 2: I don't want.
Speaker 3: Oh this is another thing, like because it's it's it's just.
Speaker 2: Why did she offer it?
Speaker 3: You never offer it because it could be everybody that wants it, not just the primary right And would you want anybody going through your ship? Like I don't know nobody, No, And I don't pack anything crazy either, but I don't want to be going through I mean, I have nothing so fancy that they have to put it on nice hangers or anything. But they have the anal pets that they at and loop and this girl was like what is this for?
Speaker 2: Like she goes, where do I put this? And they're like, I guess the drawer over there because she's.
Speaker 1: Like put in the nightstand and she's not wrong. That's exactly where that should go.
Speaker 3: That's where that goes. But like yeah, they were like, yeah, you can unpack our bags, so they're in on it.
Speaker 1: They must be right, yeah, I I I wouldn't want someone to unpack my bag because again I don't want I don't want people's hands and my stuff. No, oh wait, that came out wrong.
Speaker 3: No, but it's especially like.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The people that ask for.
Speaker 3: That are always come across is very you know, they're not tethered to reality. They kind of And my favorites when they get someone to unpack and then the person just sits on the bed, gets drunk and talks to the person I'm packing for them for.
Speaker 2: Like an hour. That's become a thing which always makes me laugh.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh boy, people people, yes, they just want that level of service. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't get that. But I'm not rich. No, my friend, where can people find you on the internet.
Speaker 3: You can find me at Brooklynfitchick dot com. I'm at Brooklynfitchick for threads and Instagram. I'm still trying to make those work. I'm on blue Sky and TikTok at Brooklyn Margo and my YouTube is at my name Marco Donahue and please sign up for my YouTube. I've got a book coming out later this year, and I'm putting out groovy like a trailer for my book.
Speaker 2: I just created and all kinds of stuff so it's so can do that. It turned out great.
Speaker 1: It turned out so good. Y'all follow her. She shares clips from the movies We're gonna talk about and from her other podcast, book versus Movie. She shares stuff for What a Creep, which is our other podcast, And if you like the sound of our voices from this, you should go listen to that, because we talk about creeps of the past at the present, and then we end every episode with someone who's not a creep. Our current episode, out Right Now is also super Bowl themed, and we are talking about Nipplegate, the wardrobe malfunction. It's justice for Janet Jackson basically right, we get into the backlash against all of that. It's a really pretty fun episode. We tried to keep it relatively light. You can find me at the Sonya Show dot com and the Sonya Show on blue Sky. I almost said Blue Sky, Threads, Instagram, TikTok, and you can find door king out at dorkinoutshow dot com. Also on threads, Facebook, Instagram, blue Sky. We're on pretty Dorky Out. We do Blue Sky mostly so if you're wondering, but also email us at Dorky and Out Show at Gmail. We'll send you some stickers. And when I say we am E Margot. Margot is very kind and she will send you stickers. But we also take requests, So if you have a movie you would like us to talk about, please send it our way and make sure you give us a review if you haven't. It helps us find our people and we super appreciate you all. Thanks for listening, Margo, thanks for this idea. This was a good one.
Speaker 2: We are the Titans, the baitybody tight. I don't know.
Speaker 1: How to pause the recording.
Speaker 3: The pu