Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to the Evil Dead Retrospective. I am the Handyman Trust Now I'm joined by.
Speaker 2: I'm the Demon Katzer and then Mark Caster Dolmas.
Speaker 3: I'm the Swell your Soul Taylor Field.
Speaker 1: Twelve years Soul while you can swall Geek Forers podcast. Head down to the Christians. Well, we've got lots of stuff going on these you like that one today, Hey, swall your dicken. But anyway, so we got links below that have everything you need. No tall you can propose this one because this will be coming out in a few weeks. Patriots. We meet this day one about three weeks earlier, but it's about a month a waste for us when we're recording this, like actually from Evil Dead Rises. Still don't know if that and Boufreight has the same date as of right now it does, so there will be reviews for both of them. Don't know which one will be first. I think it depends on but there will be an Evil Dead Rises, the fifth entry in the series review from us where can they find that when it drops here or all the other stuff. At that point, Mario would have been out, John Wick would have been out. Feel like there's something else in April that I'm missing Dungeons and Dragons, so I feel like there's something else movie related wise.
Speaker 4: But oh yeah, you can find us with your internet connect connect shot over here niksh nishin.
Speaker 3: You can find us the search bar.
Speaker 4: Geek vers out today is our home base, keepers cast, our Twitter, geek Versus is our Facebook. Sure to check us out. Oh no, I don't have one of those going on. I'm just so backwards right now. It's been a long day.
Speaker 3: We've been recording a lot already. My mind's already frazzled.
Speaker 1: Only one cast, that's okay. Everything you know sound the links below. Head over to Patreon. You get some episodes, ad free exclusive early after night will sometimes be happening. You get Brent Butter, you get the original, lots of good stuff on there. Love your patrons exactly, that's the fird way to do it. And they'll probably be some new stuff in the maybe Q two coming to that, so look up for that. And yeah, Afrida, it is always a fun time and we appreciate it because each and every one of you support us. A big shout at Patron producers. Aaron Braden April Darkness, Josh Right and Jack Grant. Yeah, kirkl and I posted no I did it. I did it, but no big thank you, and yeah, if you want to join that tier, you get to vote on retrospectives, but you also get to choose something for us to retrospect, so that's always a fun time. So yeah, and then after Evil Dead we'll be moving on too because we got I guess at the time this recording, we'll have two more Evil Does to go, but then next will be Indiana Jones, So that's gonna be fun leading up to the big finale there and then other than the next one, I think that'll be it for the year. And then if you join patroon you'll be getting stuff like Mission Impossible or Fast and Furious like a year early and stuff like that, so it'll be lots of good times on the feeds and everything. And William Dafoe retro starts in the fall, which I'm very again patron producers, you're gonna get to vote on what William to foone movies we're gonna be doing, so it's gonna be a good time. So I want to start with mister Musk because obviously he'l dead one, not not your cup of tea per se. Now, obviously this is very similar. You got Bruce Campbell in a cabin Dead Knights, you got other people and stuff like that, but a bit of a toll shift. So did this total shift work for you or the full more line with the first one in your feelings?
Speaker 5: Overall, it worked for me, and that I liked this movie more. I had more fun with it. It definitely hammed up the zaniness, the silliness of it, and just Bruce Campbell just going ham doing stuff. And I like, you know, there's like less actors in this movie, or at least it feels like it, so you're just getting more of just him on screen doing crazy stuff. And you can definitely tell that there is a greater budget in this Things look better and they can just do more, I think as well, like they made what they had to work for that first one, but you can definitely tell that there's a bit an upgrade here.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess I don't really necessarily have a problem with them just using the same setting again, but I think it's almost hard for me to separate it. In my mind, it just feels like a bit more of the same. And then I think for me, when it comes down to it, like a lot of this movie is just kind of annoying in terms of like screaming and noises and stuff. I think that the story kind of it's almost non existent, like it's just not really there. I think the pacing's really bad in this. So, like, I don't think this is every movie I'll rewatch again in my life, but I did have a at least a better time with it than I did with the first movie.
Speaker 6: So yeah, mister.
Speaker 2: Patzer, Yeah, so I hadn't revisited this one in a hot minute. I feel like there's aspects of the first movie that I thought were in this movie, and there's aspects of the second movie that I thought were in the first movie. And looking back on it, I completely understand why I thought they were like one and the same, because it very much there is crossover. I was surprised, like I thought i'd rewatched this, like not within the last few years, but at least like within I don't know, five or six maybe, but I feel like it's been like a long time since I've actually seen this one, And yeah, it definitely hams it up it gives Bruce Campbell just more time to just just go off and just just be zany and crazy, and I think, I think like that aspect is very enjoyable. It's it's fun to just see him interact with some some monsters on on screen and pretty much just him acting with himself. It's like, damn, like he's he's really bringing his A game to this performance. But yeah, I'm I'm kind of torn on like whe whether I would rate this higher or lower than the first one as well, because I feel like the overall just like trying to be like a horror movie of what the first one is, I feel like I appreciate that more than what this one is of just being kind of a little bit goofier. But there is also elements like the basement and like the old lady in the basement that is just so iconic to me, like that that has been like some of my most favorite Evil Dead moments of just like the possessed granny in the basement. It's such like an inside or like a running inside joke in my family as well of just like you're just hearing these poundings from the basement of swall your soul, your soul, so like that has really just I feel like that that'll just stick with me like my whole life of just like growing up and just just laughing about that sequence like with my with my parents and my sister and whatnot. So yeah, I think I was kind of surprised on where we went in some aspects of this one, because I don't know, I I just really thought that maybe some sequences in this movie took place in like another movie, but going for where we're going after this movie, it definitely doesn't fit in that one. So yeah, I was a little bit surprised on this view and just like where some sequences and scenes were. But overall I had a good time. Yeah, I I was gonna say, I feel like this one might be more rewatchable than what the first one is, just because like to Dylan's point, like the budget is a little bit uh like, well, it's it's a lot more than what the first one is, because what was the first movie's budget, if.
Speaker 1: You remember under it's under a million or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one I think is like five million or like three million, like it like it's in the multiple millions now. And just the way that certain scenes were shot or maybe like the prosthetics, like they just look a lot nicer.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, pros text pict Yeah. Budget the first one's three and seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like something that really stays the same other than like the setting is like the unique camera shots that that they chose for the first one and the second one, and even in like the next movie, the third one coming up. I feel like that's a reoccurring theme and I really really appreciate those, like those moments of just the way that they have the camera following someone or maybe it'll be like someone opening a door and it's just from like their perspective. There is moments that get a little too shaky cam and like you're really following and it just gets a little bit nauseating. But for the most part, I really really appreciate just like the film making aspect of what these movies are.
Speaker 1: So ye, and then the second one had a budget of three point five million, so theyig jump up literally pretty much three million dollars more, three million dollars in change.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this uh this film. I we missed the first one and I didn't actually watch it again.
Speaker 3: I think I said this during the retro.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch that until we did the retro, so this is my first interpretation of Evil Dead in this universe, and then obviously started watching the rest after this, but never went back to that first one. This to me was just an interesting, like a good starting point, and I feel like it could work as a weird dystopian sequel to that first one somehow, like if you want, depends how you head canone.
Speaker 3: But this one has a lot of things that I don't know why.
Speaker 4: I just it pulls me in and I feel like I could just PLoP it on every now and again and just watch it, and it's just got stuff that really works for me.
Speaker 3: It's just in the way that it is like done.
Speaker 4: It's that threshold of being like very freaky and horroresque and seeing like a whole variety of these different monster like demons possessing and stuff like that, and then getting just a bunch of other different things, and it throws in that little bit of comedy too, which is I think being younger it kind of helps when you watch this super scary shit and then it has that degree of humor that is sprinkled in and you can kind of bounce back and as like being a younger person watching this and kind of be like, Okay, it's it's not super super scary, but yeah, there's some sequences that are visually just like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: And the sound effects too are super crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure there's chimpanzees noises in this movie. I feel like, you know what I'm talking about, Kirkland just some wild things. But uh yeah, overall, I think it's it's definitely my favorite out of all of them.
Speaker 3: I would I would say so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh bold revealing that early on too, you know you got rankings, got a fifth one to see still too, you know, yeah for me, So that's what I want to talk with the first of my experience I have similar to this is the first one I had seen, and I'd see it two different times where very young. I don't know if anyone remembers. In Canada, there used to be a channel called the Scream Channel, and it was just it was like on like a digital dish, like that sort of thing where it's not cable. It's like what is a satellite TV or whatever it might be, And so they would always just like twenty four seven just scary movies TV shows stuff like that, and it was like a one two AM where I had woke and I was flipping through and I don't even think I was knew what it was. And it was the part where Ash at the very beginning, it's taken over and his head is in the puddle and he pops up and he has that face, and that was like the scariest thing in my life I had ever seen at that point, and I stopped watching a couple of minus because I just thought, and it's so funny, like what would happen throughout the movie and'd be a bit more comedic, but I'm probably like six or seven here, and like that to me was like I was frightened, Like just like the like we talked about, the perthetic system look a lot better and I think when he is that demon wise at that age, like, oh my goodness. And then sometime again I saw it later on just for the first time. I don't know how, so that was my experience. Then I kind of worked my way backwards and stuff. So I like this one a lot because for me, it is the fun thing with the Evil Dead franchise is you have like your section of fans and what Evil Dead they like, and obviously with the new one and the remake, which we're gonna retro as well too or whatever. I don't know if it's a remake, whatever it is Evil Dead twenty thirteen. There's ones that lean more into the very dark, very brutal kind of you could say torture porn discussing elements, and that's definitely the ones I prefer to be Like Taylor, like a spoiler, I definitely prefer the first one because I like that there's zaniness in it, but I like that it is a bit more straight and it's a bit more scary, where this one has very comedic elements, students any elements, but I still like those. I still enjoy them. It's just like a preference. And then also when we get Army Darkness, that's like a whole other section. So like each like it's kind of cool, it's each film. I can see people liking one more for the other reason. But I think it's like what you guys said. For me, it's Bruce Campbell. I think it's just kind of I guess I get it because I look at the box office and only made five million dollars. This movie was like an X ray and movie where it's just like they So it didn't get played much places and stuff like that. So I get it, and not many people saw it. But between this and also we're gonna retro Army of the Darkness, I just don't know how Bruce Campbell's not like a lead more things. And I'm not saying like would have been like the May like a Brad picture, Like I'm not saying like the biggest start in the world. But it's just kind of sad that Army Darkness was the only studio film he like led after this and that was it. You know, he's always in stuff, but he's just he reminds me of the facial expressions he does. He feels like a Pixar character where you actually couldn't make that facial expression in real life, but he finds a way, just like to curl his eyebrows in his mouth at like a certain time where it's just he's such a talented dude, and I don't think he gets enough credit for that, especially in this where I'd say seventy percent of the movie it's just him alone having to react to whether it's his own hand or stuff on the wall that's not there, or it's a guy with the fucking puppet and he's doing a good job of he shows being scared, but the truly insanity of it all. I do like that. I feel like it is very similar to the first one as far as yeah, it's just in the cabin, but you feel how it's gone up, especially the third act. You see like the money and the budget where it goes into. So I like it a lot for Bruce Campbell's performance and the other stuff. There's good horror stuff. There's fun things. Yeah, there's your classic screaming involved. There's you know, some moments where you got certain monsters look at a certain way where okay, nowadays you can tell they're not there, and it's one of those things. But I think that's why I like the first one a bit more because there's less of the bigger monsters. But no, overall, I really like this. It's a good addition, and I know many people love this. Many people have this as like their favorite horror film. That's one of those where I look like, Okay, I could understand it's not personally mine and it's not even my favorite the franchise, but I get why because it's and I imagine too, I'd have to go back and look at all this stuff. But with most horror stuff, like this type of zany, horror wasn't a big thing, you know, like nowadays we so many different genres, but like it was, usually horror is paid pretty straight. So I think that's why it was such a cult following is because it's like, look at this movie and look at what they're doing. It's like has some comedic elements to it, where before it was there would be comedy, but it would be like the campers that are having sex and they're like pulling pranks on people. You know. This was, Hey, we're gonna use the demons and be a little zany with them and stuff like that. So and if I'm wrong, please let me know some examples. But there wasn't two many of them. So yeah, no, enjoyed it. I like, as usual, I'd recommend only if you like this type of stuff. I don't think this is definitely everyone's cup of tea, Like when my mother would hate this, you know, like I know many people that this would not be their jam, this type of movie and stuff like that. So yeah, anyway, so I want to start with the beginning, because that so this is the eternal debate, right if, like some people call this a sequel, some people call this a remake. So the reason why the way it is that way is because they couldn't show any footage from the original Evil Dead because of right, So that's why they wanted to do like this kind of recap remake to show you why he's in the cabin, even though I feel like if it's called Evil Dead too, you don't necessarily need that because you could go watch the first one. But again, I guess this is in a day and age where we can just go watch a movie easily, right, This first Evil Dead made like two point whatever million, probably not seen by tons of people, so I get the idea. And even then, in a way it's not technically it is like a weird remake thing because you don't see the other friends, you know, like it's a very But to me, it's almost just like a character just quickly telling you the story of what happened, and then you get to like literally the end of the movie is them going through the cabin, and that hits Bruce, right, and then we kind of pick up from that point where he's possessed and everything, and he's through the air. So what do you guys think about that kind of the the pseudo retelling of the story to get us to the sequel.
Speaker 4: Well, it's I find interesting how you can get away with if he doesn't have any of the rights, but he can like recreate this, because like, does that mean we could recreate our own Avengers endgame and get away.
Speaker 1: With Well, No, I think that's a bit. I think it's a difference when it's not so much the rights, it's just the rights to show the footage in another film perhaps, And I don't know because that's in the eighties, so I'm not sure how film walls work back then. There could be a whole bunch of different stuff now. But that's just the reason that was listed that they couldn't show footage from the first one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I didn't mind. I like, I didn't mind them redoing it at all, because again I think, is it like kind of like a more higher quality upscale from whom we saw on that first one?
Speaker 5: But how do you take it, like, is it is it the remake or is it a sequel? To you, I'm I'm curious as that Evil Dead fans, how you guys look at this thing?
Speaker 4: I take it kind of like a sequel. But it's funny because as the film starts, you get that sequel.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: It starts off where you get to get the first film and that in that like first like ten to twenty minutes of the movie, and then I feel like it it picks up and continues on right after where we left off on that first one. Because that first one where it's him outside and then it cuts out when he gets obviously attacked by the demons. That picks up now here we get to see him when he wakes up in the water, like you said, Travis with his face comes up, it's all morphed up.
Speaker 3: So now we get to see the continuation of that.
Speaker 4: So I feel like they crash course that first movie and the beginning crossover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is a like an ultimate cut that fans have done where they edit out the beginning of this movie, like the recap and it just goes from the cabin and they put this seal Dad to an army darkness that just take out certain things and just make it one long movie and stuff like that, because even then, like this isn't that long of a movie. Armory Darkness is only like an hour twenty Like it would be like a it would be like one Return of the King if you were to put them all together, pretty much. If you're an Evil Dead fan, I would love to. I hope there's like a the next time I watch these, I hope there's like a version somewhere that's already pre edited for me to watch. I'm not gonna take the time to make that myself, but I saw them in the trim, Like, that's really cool. That'd be fun, just because it does literally from cabin to cabin to the other world.
Speaker 2: So a lot of screaming in that, a lot of screaming.
Speaker 1: A lot of four hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, I kind of look at it as like that pseudo sequel, because yeah, I really think that there is some crossover there things that for I mean, since I just watched the first one, like I didn't need to have some of those sequences in the in the beginning portions, but I still understand why they're in there. It's almost like a like an alternate universe sort of situation though, because it's like, how does it go from like being possessed like in this situation where he's just fine with being in the exact same situation not know what's going on. So uh, and that's something that coming into it because it's been so long since I've seen this one. I didn't remember that like that's how we started it or if it even like referenced the first one at all. And like, other than like obviously the necronomicon and the tape and like the things that keep it evil dead, there's not too much that is really like the like like from Ash's perspective, like something that would tie him to the first movie other than like that locket, like the magnifying glass thing that he has. Uh, and like when he had that that because the delivery of it was like difference. In the first one, he had it like as a present, but here he just already had it out or was I can't even remember now, was she already wearing it the Yeah, So because it was like done a little bit differently there, that's where my mind was like, Okay, this is like an alternate universe now where it's it's like the same path that he's going down, just done a little bit different. It's I feel like it doesn't have major consequence at the end of the day of like if it is attached or if it's not, because I'm just in it for the crazi zaniness and the wild undead that the Dead Heights as they're labeled in the later movie. So yeah, and that was something that I was very interested coming into it because the first movie ends, I like it's kind of up for interpretation, like what exactly happens, but it's not really leading you off for a sequel. So I was kind of surprised actually with how this one opened up there.
Speaker 5: It kind of gave me just whiplash because it's super fast, Like I even wrote down the time stamp of like by the time he's decapitating Linda, that's like six minutes into the movie, Like yeah, all of that stuff occurs so quickly, And I think that's what was confusing me too, is like this this girl's name is Linda. Someone's name from the first one was also Linda. I can't remember if that's his girlfriend in that one or if it's one of the other I think.
Speaker 1: It is supposed to be the girlfriend. It's not the same actress, but I think it's supposed to.
Speaker 5: So that's yeah, what confused me because like everyone in that first one dies right except for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then at the end it's assumed that he's dying because the thing gets them, Like that's the last shot, is this creep the camera.
Speaker 6: So I guess it's hard for me to headcan in this as a sequel.
Speaker 5: And anyway, I just I don't see, like what is the argument from people on that side of the argument.
Speaker 1: I think it's just like for me, it's almost just because he's like a little loopy. All he remembers is like him and Linda together. He doesn't really remember that. It's all. It's all purely like a headcanon. Hey, this is the way I interpret it. I just take it as like almost the way you would tell a story to somebody. But you're gonna, like, if I tell a story of how me and Emily got together, I'm probably gonna leave out details of the people that were around at that time, maybe for like unless I was set up by someone like that. That's the why I kind of take it as just a quick recap. Okay, I was in love with this girl into the cabin and stuff like that. I remember watching for the first Sunday, What the fuck am I watching because it was like, even when they're reading the book, it's just like, this is just super weird. And at first I thought, when I watched Shit again going back, like, oh, is this gonna be like a oh the happy version, But really he's gonna stap out of it, and it's not like is this what he wanted to happen? But then Nolan gets her head chopped off and it's ash blah blah blah. So that's so I kind of think it it's like a traumatic retelling of the experience in his own mind.
Speaker 6: Interesting. Yeah, yeah, that kind of makes sense.
Speaker 5: I think if I had to pick one, i'd say this is a remake, which, yeah, is very interesting choice. And I feel like the fact that they couldn't show scenes from the first one is a weird limitation for them to do that, and maybe it was the thing and there's like, Okay, this first movie wasn't super popular, so we can get away with doing this and people won't really care. But it it is a very bizarre choice that they decided to go down that road at all, and I guess maybe it'd be hard to justify if it is a sequel and ashes like why would be his reason to come back to this cabin like voluntarily? Right, So it is I guess said maybe they'd fall into a bit of a trap that way. But once again, so many different ways they could have gone with the sequel that it is bizarre that they chose this direction.
Speaker 1: And it's funny too, like like you have like the movie still technically evil dead too. Yeah, but you can literally just make well it's a second part of that and I have it in the trivia. But he originally wanted the plot of this one to be the third one. That was the pitch. But I don't know how they ended up deciding on this, but that was his initial idea that he wanted it. Probably probably because this one, this one was a success at least it was like a three and he made a five million. This is in the eighties, so that's like still good enough and stuff like that. An army gets a big push. But then armies looked at as like a failure from the studio and stuff like that. But that was his initial idea, was just to do that. So I just wonder if this was almost like a hey, the first one as a cult following, I can't do that third one. Yet what a way I kind of like reintroduce this again. It's weird for the audience because like if they're gonna see the two, I wonder what eighty audience has thought back then, like can I go see a movie without seeing the first one? So maybe that was an idea of while we can recap it at a little bit for the people. But yeah, maybe it's just kind of like a testing ground too, to just show okay, you can do it, or almost. Like the other argument for the remake stature is that it's because he gets a bigger budget, you can kind of make like the like the deamn knights and the creatures and like the trees look better, right, Like everything looks better, everything looks better lin and stuff like that. This movie actually takes place in a gymnasium this time, not an actual just cabin where they're just getting sick and they're sleeping outside. They yeah, they recreated it in a gym they rented out and just did everything the cab and the green, the trees and stuff. So that's probably better too, because I guarantee Bruce Campbell maybe not have given this type of performance if it was in the set of the first one, where these people were like getting sick while filming this movie. At least this is like, hey, you're in a warm gym where you literally go to the bathroom at any point. You sleep in a hotel. So that's almost the remake argument too, is that like they got time to run it back and more money, better care for the crew and everything like that, and plus you get to do things differently this go around.
Speaker 2: You know, stuff that you probably like thought of as an afterthought, Like in the first movie it's like, oh, this world have been sweet if he did that, yeah, basement scene, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The base and it's no offense to the other actors. I think it's also the same thing too, And you watch You Feel Dead, you're kind of like, this might be better if it's mostly just Bruce Campbell, And I think that happens here too, where like it is like and I think you could tell the first one again with better actors, but also the same time, I think they just were like, Okay, you have something here with Campbell, like let's let him go a bit. And even then in the first one he doesn't even act that zany there's time. So the fact that unluckily him and sam our friends, so he must have knew Bruce could do this type of stuff. But like even the scene, like for me, it's like a miracle of how well it works because this is not cgi, it's not effects him versus his hand. That how well he pulls off that entire scene, That to me, and that is always like the set piece of this movie. When I think of this movie, I think of him versus the hand, from everything to the movements to when he steps on he has that saw and he's making these faces and he looks up the camera and everything like that whole thing is like you gotta find someone really talented to do that. And even then, like I mean, that's good that he has some comedic charm and talent him too, because you need that. And that to me is always a set piece when I think of Evil Dead, even in honestly the genre, even though I like the first and better, I still just think of Bruce's hair like Ash's hand, you know, because it's just such a big way and it keeps coming back throughout the movie and it's just like such a great little gag and stuff.
Speaker 5: I mean, to your point earlier, like I had that same feeling when I was watching I mean I mentioned it in the first one that I felt like, wow, this guy has a lot of star power. Come, I didn't even know who he was because remember when we were doing our Doctor Strange review, and like that post credit comes up and I'm like, yeah, who who is kind of like why should I know who this guy is? And like I am very surprised that he did not.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's done a lot of great movies and I just have never heard of any of them. But the fact that I didn't even.
Speaker 1: Know something big though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 5: Weird, but like the thought I had watching this one was like, man, I've never thought that anyone else could be a good mar from Home alone, but holy yeah, Campbell, yeah would have been a fucking great MARB. Not to you know, put down. I always forget his name. What's the actor's name?
Speaker 1: Who does Oh it's Daniel something. I'll Gettern, right, Dan Stern? Yeah, thank you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like he's a he's amazing. I know I don't want that.
Speaker 5: I don't want this reverse universe, but like, man, he would have been a great at that. And then not to jump ahead to Army, but like there's a scene in that that like confirms to me that part of that performance in that character and stuff was like inspired by this this movie in particular, and maybe even some of the character choices and stuff. I feel like, I don't know, it's it's weird because these movies still aren't huge at the box office, But I don't know. I guess I see that they seem to be pretty influential. Like I just get little like glimmers of like other movies I've seen in my life that seem to be calling back to those because this was quite a while ago when these things came out.
Speaker 1: Obviously, well, and I think too, this is the eighties where even if it makes money, I think unfortunately for him. And that's why it was such a big deal that Jamie Lee broke away. Eighties horror was looked at like the bottom tier filmmaking. It was looked at like the lowest of the low, like it was like porn and then horror movies, And there's tons of things that people would compare it to that of like it's low filmmaking. Anyone can do it. There's no passion, it's just blood and sex and stuff. So that's probably what hurt him as being like it hurt and helped him because he's had a huge career in a cult following, and they even make the show. We're not retroing the TV show. There was a show that went on for three seasons, Ash Rous the Evil Dead, and he got to lead that. But I think that's why he just got kind of type cast into Ash and no one wanted Ash the same way like Mark Hamill. No one wanted Luke Skywalker like you're Luke Skywalker, You're And I don't think Mark Hamill is doing as good as Bruce Campbell, not trying to be mean, but I think that's what happened because if you look at the eighties and Fry Thirteenth Nightmare, other than Jamie Lee, none of those actors like Kevin Bacon did But Kevin Bacon was a guy that just got randomly killed and Fried Thirteenth, he wasn't a lead guy, right, So it was I think horror. You got pigeonholed back then as you're the horror guy, you know.
Speaker 6: To what extent is Sam Raimi involved in that TV show?
Speaker 1: By the way, he directed a few episodes and he produced it. Okay, So I think he directed the pilot and a few and he might have he probably has like a story by credit, like maybe he gave a pitch for it, but it and But because the thing is with this and the other two, Bruce Campbell obviously he's there for the whole thing and he produced it because he took a big on like we talked about last movie where he did a lot of that and same thing like this. There's multiple times where he's doing scriptwrits and whatnot. And even with this new or the new sequel, he's still a producer on that. So he always like him and Sam are really like they're good friends. But I think they really both have ownership over this as far as like I don't know if it's even legally they might even legitally have legal ramfoications of hey, you own this percentage Evil Dead and I own this. But he's always involved. But yeah, Sam directed the pilot at least right now, and he kind of gave his blessing to Hey, this is good. It's a fun I will say if you ever, if you just watched me for the first time, that show is definitely more army of the darkness type of style. It's very comedic, and that's why I liked it but didn't love it. But if you love that type of the funny evil dead, that one's totally your bad because it's humor from the get go. It's very fourth wall breaking too, so.
Speaker 6: Nice Where I want to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where we want to go? Or do you guys have anything in the hand or anything? With Bruce Campiell the middle there.
Speaker 5: The hand scene is fantastic And I don't know what they am sure that's like just prop cutlery and dishes and stuff that he's smashing on his head. I assume I would. I would hope so for his sake, I feel like he's so dedicated. I could see him taking a couple of nasty hits. But yeah, just like I don't know, it was amazing just watch him crash all these things into his head, smack smacking into walls and mirrors and all this stuff.
Speaker 6: It's just so fun.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 5: I think I'm liking more of the comedy than the horror of these things. On the opposite point of view, Travis, so that hand scene is is fantastic and you're right like his acting and it is really great as well. He's having to do two roles there is that would be decent in the hand and regular old self.
Speaker 6: So he's fantastic.
Speaker 2: That was like an aspect that I just remember, like the first time I had seen it of like the evil like the evil hand. It's just like I never could have thought of, like your one portion of your body is just like only one of it gets possessed. It's just like your hand, it just stops there. It's just a really funny aspect. And then yeah, you throw, you throw on top of Bruce Campbell's fantastic acting to it, like it really feels like it's a different entity. They're like fighting him, it's not just him versus his hand. Uh So, yeah, that that was. It's not my most memorable moment from this movie for me, it's definitely the Basement, but definitely, yeah, it's the hand goes hand in hand with evil Dead.
Speaker 1: It must have been a fun down set too. I feel like that, like them planning out those shots like what to do and just like that, and they probably like obviously, like I agreed to it's probably fake cutler and everything, but but you know in the script before they're like, probably okay, what can we use here? I just like that would have been fun to see just Bruce. And there's tons of stuff that was in this movie, like improvise and Sam Ray, which is that Edward just using that cut like they wouldn't even film like the scripted cut. They're like, yeah, this one's better than what we had planned. So I could see tons of this stuff being like just even little face movements or body movements like yeah, just just go with that, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The the whole hand thing was just super wild.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's funny just how it's cool like zombie like I guess to a sense where he gets bit on the hand by these things and if you do get bit or like cut or something, I just feel and associate that with you being fucked, like this thing will get into you now and possess you and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So when he got multiple times like his initial.
Speaker 4: First possession, and then it came down to just his hand and he cut his hand off, and this is where it gets kind of like me, mem I guess you could say, because the chainsaw wasn't in the first one, Well no it was, but like he pulled the thing back but it was missing. So they like they hinted at this, and you wouldn't know it's a hint until you get to these later ones, when here it's like boom, chainsaw. He builds his like mechanical like attachment thing and mounts it and stuff like that, so it just gets crazy off the rails.
Speaker 3: But everything with his hand was really really well done.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: It's just so funny to say. I imagine if you watch the first Eel Dead and it has that type of tone, if you're say, hey, and the second one, this character is gonna have like a chainsaw for a hand. I feel like it's like such a leap, and then even more so when we get to the third one. But it's a fun like that's another just that the chainsawn arms is an iconic thing. That's just something that is and many movies allude to the chainsaw and use that as a joke and stuff like that, and that's because of this movie, because it one of those. I'm sure there's many, but this is one of those first ones that was like defined. It's like, hey, it has a cult following. It's one of these I would get passed around and stuff like that, and I had my trivia to like they they even changed the blood color because they didn't want to get Next rating. They wanted again our rating, so they changed it and it didn't matter. They still got Next anyways, Like well, we just give up like it's it is what it is because it was just deemed too violent, which I think makes sense for back then in this type of movie and stuff like that. Right, So, Kirk, I was gonna say, you're talking about the Witch. Did you know that that Witch is actually played by Sam Raimi's brother, ted Ramie.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't until I pulled up the IMDb. Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 1: And he has lots of cameras, like he's in Spider Man. He's the guy you got j Jo Jameson you got like his a little helper there. He's like, oh, you know, like what should we call him? And they always go back and forth, like what about doctor Stranger? You know it was taken Like he's so ted Ramy makes a lot of cameons. But yeah, so he plays he plays the Witch down there.
Speaker 6: He gets a writing credit in the third movie.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah he does. Yeah. So yeah, and I agree with you non they're really good sequence as far as like I think the movie does a good job of it's it's just escalation. It starts with okay the first like Eviel Dead's just people being possessed, and it's okay, your hands being possessed. And then it's like there's something down there, and then obviously it just gets fucking wild at the end with like the big monster and tree. But the Witch is just like another like I kind of don't forget it, but I'm like, oh, write this thing not a bad way. I'm like, right, there's this like actual thing down there that they gotta like try and take out.
Speaker 3: Henrietta.
Speaker 1: Fucking Henrietta when.
Speaker 4: She first is like unveiled because Bruce is down there and you you don't know. And then they're just they're like listening to the passage like I buried I buried her in the basement and he freaks out with his expression and then she comes out and like, yeah, come to Henrietta, Like it's so freaking He's trying to get out and this this fucker is trying to let him out, drops the keys and just fucks up.
Speaker 3: That's Sarah. I like those moments.
Speaker 2: Fantastic facial acting there from Bruce Campbell. It just I feel like I would have reacted the exact same way if I was in that situation, just just so terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you guys feel about the inclusion of the uh, like the little I don't know group of I don't know, what would you do? What was the scientific term you would call them as like the people that show up, they're like not scientists, but they're like.
Speaker 4: Like investigators or well the woman is the daughter of the sciences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you got those other people that are like, oh, this is the Book of Barbara, And then you got one there's always one guy who doesn't give a shit, he doesn't want to be there. They had that the friend the last maybe, and of course it's a good thing. He dies in a terrible way. But yeah, did you like any of these people?
Speaker 2: I liked like the dynamic of them coming to the cabin with Ash already there. I thought that's fun, especially just like he is fighting for his life, fighting demons, fighting his own hand, and then just like these regular joes just show up. I feel like that's a fun dynamic them. Like the reasoning for why they're there, I feel like, is it's passable. I guess for like the majority of them, but like there's this Bobby Joe character who's just like, I don't know, she's she's portrayed this like badass, like chewing gum and just like has this like bad as bad ass toned to her.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like we didn't really need that, but it also just gave us another casualty to have on screen, so I totally get it. But like, out of all of them, I feel like the one I like the most was would be the one that had the family tie to Henrietta and forget the father's name. But yeah, like it's it's not it's not the most perfect like writing of like why they're there, but it works enough to just get some more players.
Speaker 1: You just need to kill count, you know. I feel like that's we need some people to die here, and it can't be Ash, so.
Speaker 6: Need some cannon fodder for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, I think any I think that's the daughter's name is the is the best of the bunch, but she doesn't really get to do much. He's more just like the person that Ash can kiss so that he looks badass and cool right at the end, which is totally fine, But I gotta say I was like kind of. I don't know if she says her dad's name at some point, but this whole time, I thought that she was Ash's daughter, uh, And that's why she was going to the cabin, was to go see her dad, which once again I was.
Speaker 6: Like, what the logic of all this? How would she know he's there? Like, I don't know. I wasn't really worrying about that too much.
Speaker 1: So when the kiss, you were really concerned there for a second.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 5: And that's why it was even more confused when they get to the cabin and they like knock Bruce Campbell out because I'm like, what do you what do you guys doing? Weren't you coming to look for this guy? But they're like, oh no, this is not who we're looking for. And I'm like, Okay, I guess her father was the guy in the basement. But even just the way those scenes are done, of the tapes and whatnot, I just I guess. I it's a tape, so it's probably not that old of tech. But for some reason, I just feel like that thing with the dad recording the tapes is like, you know, one hundred years ago.
Speaker 6: Or something, which once again, the tech does not make sense.
Speaker 5: For that, but it just it feels like it's some old thing that's happening the way they're uncovering it in this dusty old basement and all that.
Speaker 6: So I think that was fine.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean as for the rest of them, like you, I think each of them gets a funny scene or a cool death or some memorable moment, so they're fine their boat as good as like the people in the first movie, I guess in terms of quality for the rest of them, they're not giving too much in terms of story and acting chops and whatnot. But they have some notes here for just individual scenes from each of them that I thought was funny.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, when that group shows up, I really did enjoy them. When I showed up and Ash just shoots that door off with a shotgun, totally could have fucking killed the guy, but then he runs through and tackles him. I don't know how he survived that, because, like, if I'm opening a door to a cabin, which I think is fine, like I would have been blown to smitherians by this double barrel.
Speaker 3: But I digress.
Speaker 2: Nick one of them, though, because wasn't the one Oh yeah, the truck guy with like on the I thought it was the year, but you probably right. The arm. I thought it was the girl like his girls with the girl Joe, she like she comes in, she's like holding his arm.
Speaker 6: Maybe she like fell over.
Speaker 4: Yeah maybe yeah, but yeah, I like the group. I like the two scientists people comeing in. I like the two like backcountry kind of folks that were just like all the bridges out and his teeth. Yeah, so they helped show them like another road to get in there.
Speaker 3: I don't get me wrong.
Speaker 4: Bruce Campbell did a great job being on his own here, but I like seeing the cannon fodder come in and just get a few more people infected and demons and stuff like.
Speaker 3: That, and it's great.
Speaker 4: There's that one scene where the guy, the scientist guy, he hits such a quick cut scene, but he immediately turns to the girl and the scene maybe it's Bobby Joe, and he's got the possessed face and he's like and then he like floats over to one of the girls and starts gnawing on her hair and then he's like coughing on It's so fucked up, it's terrifying. Yeah, creepy shit. He's like floating and Henrietta's talking in the fucking basement. It's like, man, this is just you're getting it from both ends here.
Speaker 1: A lot of floating in this one. That's something they couldn't do in the first one, really, you know, lots of floating, lots of wirework and stuff like that. So you mentioned that at the beginning where I like, not that it's like a big difference, but there's just something about like the like the first person camera, like the evil camera, demon camera that I really enjoyed, and this one I like it for the first one, but just feels like there was just it's also the budget where I love where they're going through trees, like these trees are breaking and stuff like that, and just the wishing of it I liked a lot. And the other thing I kind of like, is this not so much a camera trick, but I like in the first half where Okay, he hit the recap, he's possessed, and he gets back out there or gets back in there, he's kind of looking around stuff like that. I mean, they kind of do like multiple fake outs for the first five to ten minutes where he looks like he'll see something and something crazy will happen, and then the camera will do something cool where it kind of like zooms out the crazy stuff happening, zooms back in on him. Then when it zooms out, the stuff's like gone, and it's like is it in his mind? Or is it seen this stuff? The things with the mirror at one point where he's looking in the mirror and then like another ash comes out and strangles him, and then when he can strangle it like goes away. So I like that thing of like, kay, is he crazy because he's been in this bad experience? Is this like what the demon's messing with him? Or are these actually happening? And they're changing back so obviously eventually I think once the hand pops off, it's like the review of Okay, yeah this is we already know what's going that route. But I like the beginning where it's like is he just crazy and is it just going on in his mind? And I think they do multiple fun fake out stuff. I know it's not like I know it's real, but it's it's a fun trick to go with.
Speaker 5: What I just feel like even the name Evil Dead, like you would I going into this not knowing anything about these movies I would assume they're pretty straight ahead horror and didn't really have comedy elements to them, but like a more app name would be like Goofy Dead or like there's just a lot of like these these demons are mostly just silly, like yeah, they're doing fucked up things, but there are also just like pulling pranks essentially almost like yeah, just doing things that would make you laugh and messing with your mind in that way, right, which kind of throws the characters in the movie off, but also me as a viewer, I was like, what's going on here? So I don't know, I guess just in terms of that tonal shift and how it affects some of those comedic elements, I think it kind of worked for me.
Speaker 2: So I love I love just like the mind games overall, for like whether it's whether it's us the viewers trying to figure out if it's all just in Ash's head, but also just like the way that the like the Dead heightes just fuck with with the other people, like when they switch back to like just their human form. Uh, Like the like Henrietta like singing that song for them, Like that's for me, that's just such an iconic scene because it's like this demon thing and all of a sudden, she's just like looking dead in your eyes, like it is your mom like singing this song, and uh, the lady there just completely freaks out like you're not by fucking mom or like whatever the line was, she wasn't buying it by any means, but just the way that the uh, and it's like a it's I feel like it's a thing for the entire series. Maybe not so much Army of Darkness, but the first movie had had that when Ash decapitated Linda, like her like she went human form again, just the decapitated head. So I just it's just really trippy because it's just with your mind when it's it's this thing that's so obviously evil and it is like my target. I can kill it. But then it just switches to like now I'm looking at tailor. It's like, oh no, I can't kill you now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they kind of do it again where when he has like the head and like the what is that? What's the vice? The advice? Yeah, and then it turns back to being good. It's like you would have no reason think like, oh, yeah, I could save it. Obviously he does Yeah, it's just like it's his head and advice and it's still gonna try and do that. Oh no, hash like we can get out of here, live trust me and everything like that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, one moment, I I forget what exactly it is, but I think it's actually when yeah, the character's coming up from the cellar and maybe they've locked it or something and they're just like freaking out.
Speaker 6: Uh and and.
Speaker 5: She's like, babe, you're holding my hand too tight and then it just like zooms down.
Speaker 6: And a demon hand holding her head. That was a great moment. Yeah, got a good live.
Speaker 2: It was like almost parody because I feel like I've seen that so many times. It's like I'm not holding you your hand. It goes to like this severed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and then what was the other scene I was gonna show? Well, still the ending. But I love in any movie when they just cake a character and blood, and they did that with the first movie, but like again because the budget, they're like, well we just got a lot more blood. And they did this similar things like they did with Nightmare and Elm Street where they flipped the house so the blood could come down on them. But that kind of blood Wall see just a big fan of that. I'm a big fan of any time you're Cake and these guys and the same thing like later on when you get the big I because I don't take it as like that, so that creature, Like I love the fake where the whole first movie and second movie we get the camera right and it's moving through and everything like that. And they do that again at the very end with the big creature demon head coming through, so like you're not really expecting that, Like so far, anytime the things crashed into something, it made something smaller or just hit spruce and stuff like that. So this time you have this thing coming to the cabin like okay, it's just the demon and then when a bus through door, it's just this monsters eyes head. Campbell sells it great and I love like the kill is just they wrap them up. This tree hand comes up and again it's kind of like fun alluding to that happened in the first wee in this movie where the trees come alive. Campbell got he got like covered in the trees. But I love that this is like a massive oncoming alive. But the kill is him just taking the chance on putting in its eye and it's just like just pouring like and I know there's some guys behind this machine, like they're just fucking like putting like buckets of water in this thing. But like I just I love that entire how like the whole movie escalates, but even I kind of forget like how big it actually gets. And when I was watching it, like man like between the tree, this monster head, the blood, the portal opening up. Like I feel like when you talk about, hey, if you have like a not this is an action movie, but something that has action or horror, if you talk about you want to kill your third act, I feel like it does a good job of it delivers as far as unpredictabildiness and just okay, you can see loss of the budget, wouldn't hear? And they made it worth it, you know it was. It was a fun finalem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I feel like that's something that I kind of I kind of get torn on on like whether I like the first one or the second one more because the scale of it. I do like how it is a little bit more contained in the first one. How it's just they read this like demon book and then they just start getting possessed, whereas in this one you get opened up to like a portal that he just gets taken to a whole nother realm and it's just a little bit too ridiculous for me, but it also fits the movie because it has just been so ridiculous up to this point and super zany, So I feel like, yeah, I personally, I probably like just the more contained aspect, just because it's a lot more simple, like on paper of just yeah, just a group of friends they go to this location. They just happen to find this like creepy book and they play the recording and then things ensue, whereas in this one, it's like six minutes in, like Dylan mentioned, and he just already decaptinates his girlfriend and you got the recording and now it's just it's fucking it's it's like a video game. Now, like it's it's just wild. We're getting crazy, and I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's like the best ri comparison is like if you guys at Hollowe never on through like the haunted mansions, or like people that make like little things and they go through and you're getting scared and jump stuff, Like that's what this whole movie feels like where the beginning sets you up and then after that just thing after thing after a thing of it's like at like it's a very fun gimmicky jumps and not it's not. They're not really jump scares, but for Bruce Campbell's character is a jump scare because you just see him reacting all the time. So it feels like a fun haunted mansion movie even though it's a haunted cabin. I guess.
Speaker 5: So I wanted to go back to that scene you mentioned Travis of when the blood is like just flying through the walls and the ground stuff. To me, that was just so funny seeing that, I'm like, oh, yeah, they had money for this movie, because like doing something like that, they're like, Okay, we have the budget. Let's just what is like the most.
Speaker 6: Insane we can make this scene? Possibly? How much money?
Speaker 5: How can we spend like fifteen thousand dollars on this one shot? And they just decided to go for it. But I also I just love the way that whole scene is done where he's like just trying to get his hand and so you expect, like, yeah, there's like when he gets it, there's probably not gonna be a huge reaction and then there's like that little bit of blood, but then it's just why is this hand is spilling out just an entire lake's worth of blood, Like it's just so ridiculous.
Speaker 6: And I love that scene.
Speaker 5: And I mean, once again, like Bruce Campbell, he gets dirty for these movies. Man, he gets dirty. So I really give him props for that. There's no there's no fake in it in that scene. I feel like that's, uh feels very authentic.
Speaker 2: Just piggybacking on the the abundance of blood when if youn't even which character it is, but he gets pulled down into Henrietta's layer. It's like same thing where like just his top half is like in the uh the redneck guy with the cover off, and.
Speaker 6: Like same thing.
Speaker 2: It's like fucking splash mountain is just erupting there with just like the blood going apps Like it's it's so much more than like he probably even has like in his body of just spewing everywhere, and like the color is a little bit different. But it's just like that shock factor that they totally like they go well above and beyond the amount of liquid that they need in those sequences. But I appreciate the effort.
Speaker 1: You think they're done, and then they keep going more and then the kidding must be done, and then they keep going. You're like, oh geez, like it's just and that's where that that comedy does come in, because it comes to point like it's like gross and horrific. But then I also like you don't say, it's just like, okay, how's this humanly possible? But then you go, okay, they're demons that are like connected to hell, right, so like of course they could do these things, but when you're watching it just is just so over the top. But eventually, because the whole movie starts to go like that, you go with that, where in the first one you almost couldn't go with that, right, you could go again some like of course gets covered in blood, but like it's a very different way because he chainsaw as a person, right, and it comes at him in that first moe with that tone I don't think you could do. Okay, he gets a cut in his hand and then pooh, sure, like the base of this happens like it fits, and again they kind of a I woant to just love the I guess, but I got some notes about just like how producers would have thought about this, like seeing the first and then to this, and I wonder what they thought about seeing army darkness that. But I can just say okay, like yeah, okay, like I see, I think you're going there. And even some of the creatures pop up when they're like deformed, like squirrels and stuff, they just look kind of funny, like in a way that's on purpose, but they just look just like comedic cheesey, almost a parody, you know.
Speaker 5: I love when the house starts laughing at him and like all the different pieces of the furniture just like chuckoling and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: That was great.
Speaker 2: Like the Deerhead, right mm hm oh yeah, the deer Head is so.
Speaker 6: And he's just going crazy.
Speaker 5: Oh man, little little thing I thought was funny. This was like this whole movie. I was like starting to get more and more the Marv vibes from Home Alone. But for me, when he like sits down in that chair and then it just like crumbles under him. He just like just a very ragged all kind of way just smashes into the wall and all that.
Speaker 6: That was great.
Speaker 5: I think the movie like pretty immediately told me like what what I was in for here and then it stuck to it, which was we talked about like yeah, six minutes, he's decaptaining and he's burying her, but then like right after that, she's like out of the grave and she like wants to dance and she's like rolling the head around and kind of that weird like stop motiony sort of way that the first movie had, or like a lacking budget, but they did it.
Speaker 6: In a way that felt like a bit of a callback.
Speaker 5: Maybe still limitations of not you know, they didn't have infinite money, but it it just really worked for me.
Speaker 1: I like the whole sequence, well not I think it's right around that or right after, like there's the skeleton that's just like dancing in the yard. It's like it's like almost trying to be like seductive to him, and it's just like it's not working all because it's just like blood and bones and stuff like that. But even then, like obviously that was the beginning, but at the end when he fights like that one creature and it starts as like normal and then the head just like rows, it looks like something out of Beetlejuice. But I do think they do a good job early on. I even feel like the recap feels like a little like tongue in cheeky because just like if they make Bruce Cambell look like just so happy, he's always like they're just overly happy. And that's why I always think it like it's a way of him imagining of what it was like, but really it's not, because it's just it's crazy. So I think even the recap is a little Okay, we're we're doing a little bit something different here. Buckle up. You know.
Speaker 5: One another kind of callback thing that I enjoyed is when I think this is when things are starting to get ramped up in terms of the weirdness of the house is the piano starts playing. And I think it's in that same shot when they do like that kind of panoramic thing, or like the camera just does like almost that.
Speaker 6: I think it just does a one to eighty here.
Speaker 5: But in the first movie, it's like he goes in the basement, it's like that full three sixty shot of him just looking around.
Speaker 2: It's another three sixty as well on this one when he first gets to the cabin but he's just outside. They do it like the same three sixty shot.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, so I like that little uh callback there.
Speaker 6: The eyeball in the mouth is kind of gross.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, say mean big eyeball fan, big eyeball fan, anything else?
Speaker 6: Like h yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Henrietta is I guess the name, yeah, of that creep. I love how just I mean, it's already pretty grotesque when you first see that character, but when that when that pops out of the cellar and just moving around, like they did a really good job with the effects there. But then when the neck just like it's growing like the snake and like spinning around.
Speaker 6: Oh it was. It was great. I love that scene as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that, like I mentioned, that is the most iconic scene for me from this movie. And it's really just stuck with me that I feel like this this just like fear of like an elderly person in that setting has just totally stuck with me my entire life. Of like whether it's that that Angel's movie where you got like the granny like climbing on climbing on the like like those like they that has an effect on me. Now, if there's like a little granny that just is acting like a demonic way, it it it it gets me, and I feel like it really just derives from this movie. I probably just saw way too young.
Speaker 3: Grandma.
Speaker 6: I love my grandma, yeah absolutely, but my grandma camp no.
Speaker 1: Not camping. If you bring her to a cat she's not allowed to come on these trips.
Speaker 3: She can come stay in the basement.
Speaker 1: You're in the attic though this time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just that I don't know what, Like, I feel like I'm not alone. I mean, they they use that like they've used that individual in like in movies in the past of like this really demonic or like def like even it chapter two and had like like like Granny that was just just wild, like wild in there, and uh yeah, it's just man, Thank thanks to this movie. I just never never look at an old lady the same, at least in that setting.
Speaker 4: It's a good twist because like I mean, I I we all love our grandma's like you know, comfort safe everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd beheaded her years ago. I saw this be like, no, we're not letting this happen. It's not. No, I agree. I think that's why, because they it's a sweet old granny complex and it works. But then there's just something always off putting about they can do because they're supposed to be loving and caring, and then when they're not, it's a it's it's it's the worst twist of fate. You know.
Speaker 4: She makes like and this is what I was looking to earlier, Kirk like chimpanzee sounds, which like it's like the squeaks or the chimp noises. It's just it gets very sideways, very sideways.
Speaker 6: I H yeah.
Speaker 5: I think my last point here was is at the top, I said, I think this movie has pretty bad pace, and I think for me, it's just I don't think this movie successfully found the tone that I don't know if it was it was trying to do something specific. I think the mix of horror and comedy, like I like I said, I had a fun time with this movie, but I think I think I all these things I'm bringing up are the craziness of the zaniness, are the funny things. But for me, it's like, I don't think it ever really worked as a horror movie. I don't think I there's really no points when I was particularly scared, And I think it's just for me, it was like the it was the it was the pacing of it and the way they like built up tension and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: I don't think it.
Speaker 5: I don't think they ever really tried to do that, because you'd be going from something that's like goofy or silly and then like immediately into something horror wise, and it never really it just always felt like it was going at a thousand miles per second, and I feel like it never took that time that you need in a horror movie to build up something slowly alluding to what you're gonna see but you don't know what it is, probably some like music that's helping to establish that mood, and then you have whatever is a jump scare or not. I don't feel like this movie was even really trying to do that at many points. So yeah, I found I think Tonally and then like pacing wise just didn't really know what its identity was yet.
Speaker 6: And I think by the.
Speaker 5: Third one, it's totally takes a one to eighty on what the tone is trying or like what kind of movie it's trying to be. But yeah, it's I guess I'm slightly sad in a way that I almost wanted to see him Sam Raimi that is iterate on some of the ideas here more and not that I want a third movie of just the Cabin and stuff like that, but I think, you know, we go to Army of Dark is something very different, and then that's kind of it, Like obviously there's other evil dead things. But yeah, I almost would have wanted them to see some other stuff. Maybe I should just watch other movies of his from pre Spider Man days and maybe there is something else there.
Speaker 1: That I stark Man, yeah, to.
Speaker 5: See some of these weird stuff he was doing. But yeah, I still don't feel like he succeeded here, And I don't know. Maybe he succeeded what he was trying to do, but for me, it just comes across as like still something that is iterating and wasn't quite to its finished state yet, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm in half with you because I think I agreed with the pacing. I think it's like a break neck pace if like they just go when they they could take time to maybe cool down for a bit. But then I also think that's almost the design he wanted. Like I said, that's why I always comparison fake It's like you're on a roller coaster even shrapped it, and then they're gonna pull the lever and you're just gonna go, and it's gonna be over in like two minutes, and it's gonna feel like, oh, I wish we could do that again, or be it could have been longer, but it's like a roller coaster, effac. That's what he's trying to do. But it is just boom boom boom, And I guess that probably I wonder if that's again by design, if he wanted that to be, if he wanted to make it feel like you're a light speed, because if you add some more scenes and the run time gets longer, I don't know if they wanted that, so I don't know if they want And that's why I guess I feel like the only cool down period is the first fifteen minutes of that cabin. That's why I guess I do like those scenes of him getting faked out and everything, because I think that's a bit slower. But I can't say you're wrong, but I think that's almost like what I think that's what he's going for, and I think for me it works the I think he did. I don't know. I guess it is to me, it is more comedic. I'm not as scared as this one is the first one, or we'll talk about the twenty thirteen version. And again I've even said this, I don't know how I'm gonna prepare for this fucking this new one. This this trailer, that trailer, it just scares the shit out of me already. I'm not prepared. And that's the one where it's like the plau is the mom getting taken over and her kids, and it's like you got little kids interacting with these things, like that's gonna be fucking crazy. So I think that it's I don't know. I'd love to say, like I don't know what he was he trying to get the middle point or was he just trying to get to more of the third one? And like, I agree with you the third one, he definitely gets there, like that's where he wants to go. So I don't know, I don't know what he would view, but I think I I agree as far as like pacing wise, it's yeah, you're you're you're on fast forward a little bit. But maybe that's what we won. The insanity right of just all this stuff is happening to ash very quickly and he's just losing his goddamn mind and watch.
Speaker 3: It, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's a good point there, because I feel like, for me, I I don't mind the pace for that reason, like I kind of know what I'm getting into. But if I would have seen this for the first time like this like today, you know, like to Dylan's point, like I especially looking at it as like a horror movie, I would have just been like, what is going on here? The like the the fast pace of the movie and the zany scenes like it just it like disorients to you and maybe a way that they intended because it is just so wacky and chaotic at moments. But yeah, it's it's definitely a fair point. I The fact that it is just an hour twenty I think definitely like helps. If they were trying to go a lot longer with even more chaotic scenes, it might have just been too much. But because like, there is a lot of crazy stuff that happens in here, but I think a lot of it maybe just gets forgotten because of like some bigger moments, at least for myself.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is our twenty four to two. Both this an army darkness or our twenty both well.
Speaker 6: Even have a call if there was something to extend it.
Speaker 5: Like the way we're talking about this, like they had what feels like infinitely more money than they did the first time around, but they still did not have like as no, there is limitations and each minute I'm sure there's some calculator rut there. Each minute of film time, you know, has like whatever cost is going to be with editing and shooting and all this kind of stuff as well.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, just like stage right, you go over, you gotta rent that gym one more day, right, and then that's more money and stuff like that. So yep, anything else I got trivia, but anything else to show scene wise, I've hit online.
Speaker 2: I really like I think it started in this movie. I don't remember it happened in the last movie. But he he has these like moments where he's just suiting up or like getting geared up, and just like the way the camera just like zooms in on like whatever he's like, whether it's like a glove, he's like Lynch like sinching up. Maybe I'm thinking of the next movie there, but like specifically when he's like yeah, he's getting like the change, Yeah, groovy and he's got that that one line that again spoiler, it carries on to the next project. But I thought it was definitely a fun moment because by by this area of the movie, like I'm just all all Zany, all action, all Zany, all crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, and to me, that's like that's what like obviously now everybody that walks with a Samarrai at audio like a signing, it's like say groovy, like that's his, Like that's what he's known for now, And like I think that word right there, even like that's not even what I would expect for an act like a hero, a horror hero to say in the middle like I'm gonna go fight the back like Jason Freddy and Michael No one's been like groovy and then I'm gonna go. But like that to me is like it again, it's all Bruce that pulls that off, like it fits in that moment, and yeah, that's that's his. That's what he's known for now, is groovy.
Speaker 2: And like that one liner of groovy, like I feel like in this movie too, it even birth like the more just like what's the best word to describe it, just like a cliche line that like like Bace Campbell would drop whether it's like hey baby and like like just like say it in like a really weird way and Army in.
Speaker 1: Darkness, Yeah, that's it becomes an action hero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets a multiplier on the amount of times that he says that stuff. But in this one, it's pretty early on, like with him and Linda. I forget specifically what they're saying, but it's something along those lines where it's like, oh, baby, come come lay it on me or whatever the hell it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just it's just so funny because he talk and I'll say more of that for Army, but he just he just feels like it's still ash, but he just feels like such a different Like in the first movie, he's just like this like innocent guy, nice guy, trying to keep his friends together. Oh we should go on the woods. We'll drive you back to town. But this when he has like this like this little like like a little cockiness to him. Yeah, like but I almost try to headcan thats like it's just because the shit he's been through. But then when we get the Army, it's like, no, I guess this guy's always been that way and that's that. There's line. There's levels of that for me as far as how far they go with ash But.
Speaker 3: Well, he says, give me some sugar, and like, hail to the King. Baby, that's that's.
Speaker 1: The next movie.
Speaker 4: Those are I thought he said something like that in here. I think he's saying hail to the king in Uh.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't say that. Check out the next Red Show. Tell you anything specifically an add before trivia.
Speaker 3: No, I think we pretty much touched upon it. Like I just read it again.
Speaker 4: That basement stuff was great and it goes for like an exceptionally long trek down there where they're trying to.
Speaker 3: Get the pages for the book.
Speaker 4: Like the basement goes on for miles down there, Holy Shitarian basement.
Speaker 1: They connect Actually it's in one of the.
Speaker 3: Rooms, gets his tape measure out.
Speaker 4: But I do really like actually how uh they just they make you think that something's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It's terrifying. But he gets all the way to the end.
Speaker 4: Henrietta hasn't come at him yet. Uh yeah, he's just then slowly trying to like ease out, and then it all just goes to ship.
Speaker 3: When he get chips on the stairs and ship, so yeah.
Speaker 1: All goes to ship trips in the shit some trivia here. We talked about this last time, how Stephen King was a big deal because he dropped like the review and that's on the poster stuff like that. But he was such a big fan. He convinced producer Dina Dino di lower Nidas over dinner, who was producing King's movies at the time, to have his production company Digit or it was just whatever it is finance Evil Dead two. Steve Samurai credits Stephen King for making the sequel as well as the popularity of the original possible. He couldn't acquire enough money to fund the film, so step King made a few calls, which I just talked about. So really like it looked like Evil Dead two was not gonna happen until Stephen King got involved. And it kind of sounds like it's just because Stephen King wanted to see more Evil Dead And this is like eighties, this is high, like Stephen King had his highest powers where all these books are coming out there making all these movies like Christine and It and pet Cemetery and stuff like that. So I kind of liked that that he just wanted to see a second one, so he just like start talk producers, like, hey, you should produce this movie. And that's why it's funny. Because the guy some about Dino. He had to create a company called Rosebud, a supposed film production company. It was not a real institution though. He was forbidden for releasing an unrated movie on his own company, so he created this specifically just to release Evil Dead too, so he couldn't have it attached to his own production company. So he created Rosebud and that was just for this movie, and that's how they got it out there. I talked about the gymnasium. Shout out to Jerr Frasian High School in Woodsboro, North Carolina Borough. No, it's Wadesboro. Sorry, wait, it's way so it's North Carolina's scream that's that. The fictional town is Woodsboro. So uh. The large demonic head that Ash battles of the climax of film was nicknamed the Raw and Apple Head. It was too large and cumbersome for the crew to carry back to California, California, so it was left in North Carolina and soon disappeared. It's whereabout was unknown for a number of years. Until it was found in a Halloween Haunted House attractions just outside North Carolina. So somebody fucking found it brought to a haunt mansion and that's and I love It's not like they're like give it back, like there wasn't some fucking like that sort of movie like it just it got left in this like Haunted house. And I hope it's still running. I doubt it is, but yeah, tu about the rights to about Yeah, the original idea was this to Henry tossed through time in the Middle Ages, that all became darkness.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: They even made a mock up poster of Ash holding a chainsaw in medieval times and it was called Evil Dead to Evil Dead and the Army of Darkness. So there was even a poster made for that idea of him being in the medieval times. Bruce, Yeah, Bruce Campbell completely improvised the scene where he fights his hand in the kitchen samurai praise the Wornce and used the first take for the movie, so they didn't even do a second take. He just looked at it and oh, that's good. I talked about that already. The actors when they were the dead Ightes were completely blind as they had to wear. They all paque contacts lenses and they only did the scenes because they remembered through Rigger's rehearsals what to do, so that's the only way they did. Yeah, they're just having to go through. And then a glove belonging to Freddy Couger can be seen hanging in the door of the pool shit when Ash carves his girlfriend's head open with the chainsaw and when he's looking for the pages. This was done in response because the Evil Dead film is shown on television and Nightmare and Elm Street, so that was a fun like kind of you had Evil Dead the Nightmare in between, and then this for a fun thing. If everyone ever cares, one day, we'll get to Jason and Freddie. Uh, there's Freddy versus Jason Ouseley. At one point they were going to be doing a Freddie versus Jason versus Ash movie. There was a treatment ridden it didn't end up happening. But there is a comic book series of two. There's twelve issues together. It's Freddie Versus Jason Versus Ash, and then Freddie versus Jason versus Ash The Nightmare Warriors. They're very fun. The Nightmare Warriors is the kidnap. The government kidnaps Freddy and Jason. They're doing experiments on them to find out how they get these powers and stuff like that. So it's kind of cool that they wrote a movie didn't happen. They turned it into a comic book series. And I wish I would have loved to see I would have loved to see Ash fight Jason and fight Freddy, like I would have love seeing Bruce Campbell with those iconic characters and just and it's funny like at one point was being produced and I think a lot of it had to do with rights and stuff. It couldn't like the film production companies because at one point they were trying to do like Jamie Lee and that didn't happen. So different companies, you know, it's not like it is now where Marvel was working with Sony and like, oh spier Man stuff. But you know me one day.
Speaker 3: So there's a whole thing about Jason being a dead eite too and all that.
Speaker 1: Well, that was the thing where the Book of the Dead was like tied to Freddy and Jason. It's this whole like and it's fun, it's cheesy, it's a good Romp in the Nightmare Warriors. It's kind of feels like it's like some Avengers where they're bringing in like multiple characters. So if you're a fan of stuff, if you've never read them, go find them. They're they're fun. Sou dyl muss Any final thoughts.
Speaker 5: H not really, I guess, uh, it's a bit weird because we're recording this after we've watched Army and I watched that for the first time. But I loved the ending of this Before I had watched Army, I was like.
Speaker 6: That is fucking wild.
Speaker 5: I never would have expected that, And the fact that the third movie is just like doing that movie like that was a really interesting prospect.
Speaker 6: I like, I had seen the poster, but it.
Speaker 5: Was very small for Army of Darkness just yeah my streaming service, so I hadn't like zoomed in and seen like all this medieval imagery and stuff. So just doing that was insane for me. And I love that as an ending, even like the end of the first one. It's a pretty classic cliffhanger. But they really like to do those with these movies. Is like not necessarily just not necessarily setting up like a next movie, but just ending in.
Speaker 6: Some crazy way that you would not have expected, I guess.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, yeah, I guess. I did even talk about the ending, and it's it's tough for me because I'd watched it knowing kind of ide Okay, there's are any darkness and that happens, but I imagine what I would want to imagine or I am imagining whatever it may be. What like what it must have been like if you watched this movie for the first of note, like in the eighties, no idea army darkness is coming and Ashes ends up in like medieval times with these people praising him, and you have like the Dead eight flying Like it's such a wild ass ending. And there's so many movies that end in like crazy ways, but this is such like a out of the box like it's it's so weird. But I appreciate it because obviously it worked out. But I like that all of them kind of ending this type of cliffhangary way in a sense. So I guess I'll go I was gonna say, I was already talking. I like, I don't know what I say here. Nine point five out of ten, I'll go with that. I can't give it the full ten and I think a lot of this, and I've said this before as some advice. I just love the filmmaking behind. It's one of these films that I almost more and I actually do like it a lot, but I appreciate it more than like it just of just the stories of them. And I didn't feel that way with Army Darkness. But I just can't get the full ten. So I feel like I'm like a nine point five nine somewhere in there. I'm not trying to drop it, just like that's where I feel I can't give it the full ten. But I enjoyed every time I kind of I usually watch a trilloy together. That's where I said where there's many times where I will just go watch Evil Dead one by itself or the remake, but when this one I watch, I usually watch them all together, maybe sometimes just one and two and everything. But yeah, that's where I am. I still really really enjoy the film quite a bit. All after all these years.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm the next I Yeah, I, as I was saying earlier on, I was kind of conflicted on just like where I was feeling amongst the two. But I think now I definitely feel that I still like the first one more than this one, just because of the simplicity of it compared to this one. I don't know, just like on paper, it just sounds like the more horror centric storyline, which it very much is, because this one gets a lot more comedic, but at least for me, it doesn't bring down like the entertainment factor too much. But when I think of Evil Dead, I think of like that initial more serious horror of just these the necronomicon just possessing Ash Campbell's friends and yeah, I mean the Granny sequence like it helps me so much for this one because as I already mentioned multiple times, that's just such an iconic sequence for me in my life, very nostalgic. But overall, I still think this is a fun watch. Bruce Campbell just in his elm and he's just absolutely killing it. So for rating, I think I'll give it an eight point seventy five, not quite a nine. Seven five, yeah, very rare point seven five. I just think that there's there's certain moments that get a little bit too goofy that maybe take me out of it a little bit. Whereas I think the first one, well, in this one, there is moments of building upon anticipation, but I just think it's executed so much more or so much cleaner and better and more everlasting feeling. So yeah, from that first movie. So eight point seven five is still still really really great movie in my opinion. And yeah, wild ending, Wild ending as well. I did not remember the ending at all for this one. Yeah, so I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, this this movie again, out of all of them, this is one that I go back to quite often, and it's it's not one like I'll be finished watching I'll leave the house, like you know, I feel good about my time, Like I feel good like anything like that.
Speaker 3: Like I just I say that in the.
Speaker 1: Sense it's a native remarks to the movie. But I get what you're starting to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it's just it's not something that'll leave a good feeling in you after watching it. No, No, But that being said, like if you if you're in the mood for some cheesy comedy horror like stuff like this is this is definitely a movie that can fill that void for you. But like if you just if you're putting it on during the day or something like that, like it can be a little a little heavy, So pick your time to watch it. And I think if if you pick a good time, like you will have a good time. Because this when I was younger, like it did it for me.
Speaker 3: I was curious.
Speaker 1: I watched it.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it so many things now like when I do go back and watch it every now and again, like it definitely satisfies that certain horror craving that I'm looking to have pleased. Satisfied warship. I don't know, so I think worshiped warship. Bruce Campbell does a great job in this. My wish to, Like, I think Travis, like he said, like he should be in more things and that more of a leading role because I think there is now well yeah it.
Speaker 1: Is unfortunately not damn. But I just mean like there's that point of like, you know, he's he's he's just this guy. But he does lots of I think, like lower tier fun horror stuff he did.
Speaker 4: There was one where I watched called Alien Apocalypse and he was in that and it's literally like Plant of the Apes, but it's it's really bad.
Speaker 1: He should not be in those movies. He's better than that. I hate that. I hate that he's.
Speaker 3: There, but he should be in those bigger ones.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think at the end of the day, I would give this probably an eight point five out of ten.
Speaker 1: I will say there was a show to a kimra what it was on USA that he was on that he was a supporting character for many years. I think it was called Vice or something, and apparently he was great in that and it was like a really good, serious, like TV role. Though when I'm for years, so he's doing fine, He's he's just wanted more. But yeah, and I agree with everybody back in the day, everyone he was Samurai was gonna cat aske him as mysterial for Spider Man four, and I wish we would have saw that, because man, sam Raimon's mysterial, that would have been that would have been tons of fun. But the rumor also was he was just like a bank robber that Spiderman beat pretty easily. But still I would have liked to see sam Raimi with the fish bowl and stuff. So well, there you go. We will be just like Ash going to Portal. We're gonna be portaling next to army darkness and uh yeah, when we're back, won't be worn yep.
Speaker 2: Peace