Speaker 1: Next on the drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA daily assists.
Speaker 2: Van McMahon.
Speaker 1: Van McMahon added, duding old Land, Texas, flood as tickets, Mud He's and main Van McMahon, Van McMahon the man not.
Speaker 2: About an hour.
Speaker 3: From now, we're gonna be joined by Bill Riley, the voice of the Utes, to talk some college football. Dave Fox joins us later. I'll be on TV with Dave tonight ten thirty five, Cam Yu, we called five questions Suspense. Our next guest was on TV earlier today and Porter, I forgot to tell you when I was at the Dallas Airport, I had a celebrity sighting. I was getting ready to board my flight. I looked to my left and our guy Van McMahon is standing there away. I took a selfie after a failed first attempt, but we got it done. And Tim McMahon joins us now on a Tuesday afternoon, Happy Tuesday, Tim, how are we doing, buddy?
Speaker 1: Howdy partners? I have left Las Vegas, which means I'm doing a lot better. That city is not my favorite destination in the world, but Summer League is always a good place to at least see a lot of people, jitch out with a lot of folks, and like I said, it was good to be there at the gym at Thomas Maxon and all that and everything else about Vegas. You guys keep.
Speaker 2: I'm with you there. I'm not a Vegas guy.
Speaker 3: Did you you did NBA today? Did you just barely land then you must have just barely landed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, No, I took the Actually I barely landed and did it yesterday. And then I'll be here, be here through Thursday show, and then I'll i go on some family vacation type of stuff.
Speaker 3: Good for you, Tim, Good for you. How was the Live Hoop Collective recording?
Speaker 2: How'd that go?
Speaker 1: It was great. We packed Old Brad Garrett's Comedy Club, had some fun. I'll tell you what, man. Folks who came out, they got a whole bunch of swag. They got like these nice like metal cups and there were hats, there were stickers or there's all kinds of swags. So good time. I appreciate it. But it came out. There was actually we had little meet and gree afterwards. There were several jazz fans.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, Well you're you're big around here, and you know, I feel like I might, you know, get a little credit for that, Tim. No, No, okay, fair enough, all right, moving on, moving on quickly. You did report today, at least I read it today that throughout the course of discussions you've had pertaining to the Jazz at this juncture, there really isn't a lot of momentum with the market and stuff potentially to move on from lowry marketing.
Speaker 2: Can you shed some insight on those conversations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know you've asked me, and it's a common question, Jazz. They just unloaded three veterans and clear up playing time for young guys to position themselves, likely for another high lottery pick, and is literally marketing next. And what I can tell you is that's not the plan. I'm not gonna sit here and declare Lower to be untouchable, nor have anybody that I've discussed with him. But the simple fact of the matter is the Jazz anticipate going into this season with him on the roster. They certainly can still picture him as a long term piece of the core. And like, let's just be real, he can play every game and probably play well, and they're still going to have a real tough time in the Western Conference. It's not like they're going to find their way into playing mix just because he plays well. The other thing is he probably would have to play well to restore his value to the point where any sort of trade discussions would even make sense for the Jazz because they didn't see clearly Clarkson and Collins and Sex and Ast parts of the future. You know, they do still think marketing can be So those guys they moved out to make room for younger guys. If marketing gets moved, it would have to be because the return would be of such value that they felt like it was a move that they had to make. And again, I think he would have to play very well, you know, as well as he has in the past to make that even a remote possibility. Now, the contract's interesting because for teams trading for him, it's a hindrance, it's a deterrent. For the Jazz, it's fine because, let's be honest, you've got to pay somebody. There's a minimum salary floor. It's basically him Nurgats and a whole bunch of rookie deals, and so carrying that contract on the Jazz books is no problem whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's also awesome. I wonder though, so he's twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Is his birthdays in May, so he'll be twenty eight throughout the majority of next season, turn twenty nine as we turn our calendars to spring. So if we do a little matthe or tim based off of what the typical, you know, the best portion the prime of an NBA player's career, Lowry is right in the middle of it and actually maybe a couple of years left, and what would be considered a prime portion of Lowry Marketing's career. Is it realistic to expect the Jazz could actually build something that looks very competitive while Lowry is still very good?
Speaker 1: I would say it is optimistic to expect that, And I think that they've got to play this year out to get a better feel for whether that kind of optimism is merited. And that's going to be based in large part on, hey, do these young guys show something this year? You know, are there signs that you've got at the foundation pieces already on the roster aside from market and Walker? Yeah, so, and then obviously the other thing is what kind of lottery luck do they get? But Again, I'm not sitting here declaring that Larry Markinen is in Utah to stay. I'm just saying there's not any sort of movement or desire to you know, ship him out right now to continue what's obviously been a youth movement.
Speaker 3: I wonder based off of conversations you've had, I mean, I mean, ultimately, of course you're the guy to asked this because you have good relationships with this front office. And I'm not saying that Austin Inge views marketing differently than his dad, Danny or Justin Xanik, but it felt like for a minute there was maybe some momentum in the direction of, you know, trying to maybe move this thing forward in a way that they're no longer trying to do under Austin Inge as the primary decision maker. Have you been able to ascertain whether or not there is a different directional ethos with Austin in charge juxtaposed to his dad and Justin Zanik before the hiring.
Speaker 1: I would say that the clear thing here is that they decided that there are lottery odds were going to be based on young players being put in real situations where they had a chance to develop as opposed to tinkering with the injury report and the rotation and those sort of things. As far outside of that, as far as like massive shits in the philosophy the front office, I don't know about that, but you know, as far as I think there's a very clear eyed view of just how much work there is to be done here. You know, somebody said to me kind of telling a lot of truth and jest, they said, hey, we're just a couple of pieces away. It's just a number one and the number two, you know, and you know, obviously it was a joke. But the point, like, I don't think anybody there says, hey, Lowry's is a superstar, you know, this is an MVP. Can't but they think he's a very good player who could be a major piece of a good team. There's just a ton of work to be done for the Jazz to be in a position to be a good team. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And one of the reasons I asked the question is Jordan Clarkson, John Collins, Colin Sexton all traded. And I wonder if and I'm just thinking out loud here, I wonder if Austin was just like, look, we are just going to move them even if we can't get what we perceive to be fair value, because you know, ultimately I have no idea what was offered for any of these three when it was Xanak and Danny Ainge as opposed to Austin Inge. But there's an argument to be made that they just kind of went all right, like obviously it was a byoul of Clarkson and they didn't get a ton of value for either Collins or Sexton or do you think as a group they were just like, we just got to move them no matter what the return is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it was clear that that was clear. They went from, hey, you know, we've got to get value for these guys if we're going to trade them too, We've got to just you know, clear these guys off the roster, play the young guys. And you know, I mean nobody has used this term, but I will say tank organically, right, tank because you're just not good enough to compete playing a bunch of guys who are in their first, second, or third years in the league. But they know they didn't get value. I mean, they came out even on second round picks, right. They gave one up in the Sex and deal which honestly, I'm still kind of scratching my head about. And then they got one of the comsy I think the most valuable thing that they've gotten in all that roster or something, aside from clearing the deck minutes wise, is the trade exception, which we'll see, you know, they've got they've got a year to use that. Obviously, you can use it in a lot of different ways, that trade exception. You know, maybe that is something that eventually is used to bring a you know, core type of player on board. But aside from that, no, they you know, these guys as we'll just moved off the roster, they weren't traded for like major returns obviously.
Speaker 3: So when it comes to the summer league stuff, what is the buzz or maybe that's the wrong way to put it, the conversation surrounding the load management being moved from the regular season to summer league, Like it's you know, every night you get home and you're like, arond'am gonna check out some summer league and then boom, there's no Cooper Flag, there's no Ace Bailey. Dylan Harper played last night, but he didn't play to start, Like, what are what are the conversations around the league concerning the decision making of teams to sit the players that everybody wants to watch play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, the shitting like the top overall pickoff for a couple of games has become a pretty common thing. It's certainly the trend. Ace Bailey's got a banged up hit. I don't think you're gonna, like, you're not gonna push guys to play through injuries during Summer League. I don't think it was like some sort of plan and he just played a couple of games and then gets shut down. You know, they would love to see him get some more action, but you know you're not going to ask the guy to play hurt during the summer league situation. So you know, yeah, I just wouldn't. I wouldn't look at as Bailey sitting at as any sort of like indication of a load management plan.
Speaker 3: What During your conversations with Jazz Brass, can you share their thoughts on the early experience with Ace, both on the ground here and now in Vegas with the Summer League team.
Speaker 1: I mean, since Ace reported to Utah, they have been pleased with his approach, They've been pleased with his work ethic. You know, they've found him to be a coachable kid. You know, somebody who is willing to listen, who is eager to work, who has been a good teammate. Look to forty eight hours from the time he was drafted until you know, the time he agreed to come to Utah. I don't think we're great. I think it was a shame that the kid kind of entered the league with that sort of situation that at least temporarily smudged his reputation. But ultimately he got to Utah, he's gotten to work, and he's an eighteen year old kid who you know, if you want to put a positive spin on it, he's an eighteen year old kid who has a track record of listening to the adults who were in his ear, the adults that are in his ear moving forward and be guys like Will Hardy. You hope those are the people that he's listening to for sure.
Speaker 3: Now over to Walt wal Clayton Junior, and you know, look, I think there are some things to like about Isaiah, but his summer league experience so far looks very much like his regular season experience here in Salt Lake last year. He had twelve dimes last night. He just cannot hit the broadside of a barn.
Speaker 2: Yeah me, give me your thought.
Speaker 3: And Walt's older than Isaiah, and he feels him just more well rounded to me, even though he's going to be a rookie. How do you think the point guard battle is going to play out?
Speaker 1: I think it's an open battle. I mean, you nailed it with Callier. The point guard is a hard position to play in the NBA. If you can't shoot, and in the year twenty twenty five, if they can go under every screen, if they don't have to respect your jump shot man as as well as you can do other things, that's it's really tough. It's a glaring weakness. I think wall Clayton's going to have an opportunity, uh, you know, to compete for not just minutes, but maybe even a starting role immediately. I mean there's a reason that they, you know, they gave up what they did just to move up a few spots and get him. They really liked him, they like her. They they've seen from him. You know, as you said, he's a guy with experience. He's a guy with championship experience in college. It wouldn't shock me at all if he ends up being the Jazz starting point guard next season.
Speaker 3: Any any insight on and I've got a little here just talking to some people down to the organization, and I feel like they're very split on Kyante and his future not just with the Jazz but in the NBA. And there are certainly things about his individual offensive game that stand.
Speaker 2: Out in a very positive way.
Speaker 3: But any insight on how the Jazz view this year for Kiante and then the future of him both with the organization and as a pro I.
Speaker 1: Mean, clearly it's a critical year for him, especially when it comes to the future of the organization. I mean, after this year, they're going to have a decision to make in terms of whether they want to try to get an extension done with him. You know, he's got to show that there is a consistent commitment to competing on the defensive end. If he doesn't do that, he's going to end up probably the dog outs. It's just the simple fact of the matter. You know, Will Hardy, while they're rebuilding, is trying to make sure that there are you know, basic minimum requirements and competing on the defensive end is obviously one of those. That's an area that he is not, you know, meant the standard way too often during during his career, and then you know, offensly, there's no question he is talented. I don't think that he is given indications that he is a point guard in the league. I think he's probably more of a bench bucketgetner type of guy. You know, optimistically had Jordan Clarkson type, a Lou Williams type, you know, one of those type of guys you know, but again, there's been flashes there, but there's not been consistency at that end either. So critically your form.
Speaker 3: Any insight on the progress of Taylor Taylor Hendrix, who continues to be kind of this unknown commodity based off the injury last year and a lot of hope because a lot of the young players have not popped the way we were hoping, but Taylor is just kind of the guy that people are waiting to see. Do you have any insight on his recovery process.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put out an act information, not one hundred percent certain, but I believe that all all signs are that he's going to be cleared for training camp again, though I want to I want to be careful with what I say there. You know you're asking me obviously live, and I'd like to double check that before declaring anything that you know is firm fair enough.
Speaker 3: Let's move over to Cody, who had a couple of decent games, did not look good last night. You know, the body still needs to come along, he still needs to get stronger. He had a couple of free throws to basically win the game last night.
Speaker 2: He missed both of them.
Speaker 3: And you know, one of the top ten picks on the roster along with Taylor and obviously Ace.
Speaker 2: Is a top ten pick.
Speaker 3: Now, uh, I'll ask you the same question I asked about Keante.
Speaker 2: What's the organizational belief in what Cody could be here? Two?
Speaker 1: So I've actually talked a lot more to like scouts from other teams about Cody Williams, and I have people with the Jazz. So I will answer your question indirectly by saying, you know, telling you what I think the perception is around the league is, and the way I would put it is, he's a concept of a player right now. You know you see the potential. You see Okay, hey, six foot nine, great link, fluid, athleticism, like what has he actually shown you other the measurables and athleticism, you know, the handles, the struggle, the shots not quite there. He's not as impactful defensively as you would want to be. And you're kind of you know, this is as a lottery pick playing Summer League after his rookie year. You want those guys to be pretty consistently, if not dominant, at least forces in that environment. And it's you know, we're kind of waiting for the signs to appear that that he's on the right path. It doesn't mean if not going to happen. But I'm not going to sit here and tell you that people around the league who are looking at him him as a guy who is uh declaring that he's going to be an impact player anytime soon.
Speaker 3: There is one bright spot for the Summer League team. It's been Philipowski, who was awesome last night and really has been awesome all Summer League long year two.
Speaker 2: Kyle Philipowski.
Speaker 3: And you know, to be fair to the front office, if we're going to talk about Taylor as an incomplete and coding not popping, they may have hit the jackpod. As far as the value goes with where they with where they drafted Kyle Philipowski. You got market In, you got Kessler, you got Ace, you know you have Taylor. But based off of what you've seen from Kyle, where do you think he fits here two with the Jazz?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And Philipowski is absolutely having the kind of summer that you want a guy to have going into his second season in the NBA. I mean, he has been dominant and look, man, one reason it made sense to move John Collins and not get much in return is because you want to see Philipowski play and you want Philipowski to have minutes in a role that are his And you know, I think the big question on him is he a four? Is he a five? He's going to get the chance to prove this year that he's an NBA power forward. You know, you've seen the face of games. You know, you've seen him shoot the ball a little bit. He seem to be able to put it on the floor, you know, and then finally can'ty anchor a defense that obviously there's a lot of doubts there. But he's going to play significant minutes for the Jazz this season at power forward and have a chance to prove that that's his home in the NBA.
Speaker 3: I hesitate to even ask this because it feels like, hey, it's July and we need to force our way to talk about Lebron all the time. But is any of this trade stuff real? Like I've seen odds that the MAVs are like in on it, is any of this real with Lebron the Lakers.
Speaker 1: My anticipation, and I've been wrong before, My anticipation is Lebron will be at the Lakers training camp. You know. I so like, just like you you asked about the Mavericks, just look at that Sally, look at that fifty two point six million dollars salary, and then start punching in trades that would work just from a math perspective for the Mavericks. And let's talk about how much of their rotation they're gutting for a potential retirement tour. So never say never in the NBA. But I think it's awfully difficult to execute a trade for Lebron, and it's going to make sense for all the parties involved. And I'm talking about the Lakers, the team that's trading for him, and then for Lebron, who obviously has no trade clause, woudn't have to approve any deal. But like you know, for the Mavericks, are you giving up Daniel Gafford and TJ. Washington and you know, another rotation player or two to bring Lebron in for maybe a year? Ronnie is certainly with a one year guaranteed. I don't think I would.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't either.
Speaker 3: But since we're in the space, let me ask you about his kid. But are you seeing things from Brownny in summer League that indicate maybe he's playing his way into being like a legitimate rotational guy.
Speaker 1: I think rotational guy is strong, you know, I think that for a number fifty five overall pick, he's having a fine second summer league. You know, I just hit like I get it. He's Lebron James Son. There's going to be a spotlight on him, unlike any second round pick ever in the history of the game, or at least any unproven second round pick in the history of the game. I just prefer to judge him as a late second round pick who's trying to carve out a niche in the NBA, and not the son of one of the best players of all time.
Speaker 3: Before I set you loose, I will ask you about Cooper, since we did see him for a hot minute. Your takeaways from Cooper flag in the summer League and the way the maps kind of view this moving forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they tested them. You know, they put the ball in his hands. They had him bring the ball up on a freaquent basis for the first time in his life. Basically, you know, there are some struggles, there are some good signs. You know, even though it was only two games, he did get better and more comfortable offensively throughout the course of his brief little summer league extint. And you know, I don't know, like I don't know if he's going to be like an effective primary option in the half court as an eighteen year old or even as a twenty three or twenty four year old. If the Mavericks have relative to health luck, he won't have to be. You know, They've got two guys who would be better suited for that role. One unfortunately he's not playing the first half season in Kyrie Irving. But you know, Antony Davis will be their primary option. But he's a guy he can impact a game in a lot of different ways. Even if he's not you know, scoring twenty six you know, twenty eight points per game. I mean, he can be a very impactful defensive player. You know he is a good passer. You know he can rebound. I thought that the best moment of the Summer League for him was when he came over from the weak side the swat that prevented a layup and then pushes it in transition, draws three defenders and hits Ryan themhard for a wide open what ended up being game winning three pointer. That to me, is much more of what you can expect from Cooper Flag than you know, Ben thinking thirty one points against the Spurs is going to be something you see on a frequent basis during his teenage years.
Speaker 3: All right, Tim, will enjoy that vacation and time off you've earned it. Appreciate the time well, Chat soon, I appreciate brother. Tim McMahon covers the NBA for ESPN covers the Utah Jazz for ESPN reported earlier today that the Jazz are unlikely to trade Lowry market in prior to the start of the season. It's interesting to consider Lowry in his age. He is twenty eight his birthdays in May, so he'll be twenty eighth for the majority of next year. Prime of your career, you know, twenty five to thirty ish thereabouts. So can the Jazz build something competitive while Lowry is still in his prime? Tim stops spotted ity courtesy of our friends at Utah Elitesers. Right now, with summer here, it's the perfect time to be introducing our newest partner of the ESPN Sports Network, Utah Lead Services, Utah grown asphalt maintenance and concrete repair company. We've seen rain, snow, wind, and now heat. Your concrete has been through a lot. If you see any cracks extreme damage that need to be fixed, give Utah Lead Services a call.
Speaker 2: Corey's team can.
Speaker 3: Take care of crack, ceiling, coating, stripping, asphalt overlays, complete tear outs and replacements of your concrete. Don't let the concrete outside of your home, condo, or even business be a sore thumb.
Speaker 2: Get it fixed with Utah Lead Services.
Speaker 3: Give them a call today for a no cost, no obligation estimate at eighth one eight two, one eighty six, seventy