Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled my Thorntins on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiots.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or tail off countures.
Speaker 2: Are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, let's get this show started. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome in. It is day one of the NFL season, and that excites me. I mean, I'm excited to be here for a variety of reasons, but knowing that we are just a few hours away from seeing well, I guess a little longer than a few hours. But nonetheless, the NFL season's here, right college football. I was gonna say, been there, done that, but no, I mean it's still relatively early, right only I mean the majority of tea they've only played one game. But the NFL starts tonight. We've got our first NFL Sunday coming up here in a few days. And this is again just another reminder that we are here, we are getting started what I believe is the best time of the year, and I'm excited about it.
Speaker 2: But I kind of feel like.
Speaker 4: When it comes to Lamar Jackson, I cannot be alone in this in this situation because I'm not a Ravens fan, but like claiming that I'm a Ravens fan, like go Ravens, it just feels fraudulent because I'm a Colts fan and I'm, you know, a sad Colts fan, because I don't know how you could not be a sad Colts fan, you know, unless you're just an internal optimist, and I'm not that, and I don't think we're going to be very good this year. But what I'm getting at is, like I have the feeling is if my team is playing today and they're not, but my guy is playing today, and we know who that is, right, That's our man, Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: He's our guy.
Speaker 4: And I just cannot remember any other scenario in my life as a sports fan where in the professional ranks I've been you know, this locked in for a guy, but by proxy it means I'm all in with his team. Like it's not like, let me give you an example, I want to see the Bengals do well because my whole childhood and even a good part of my adulthood, the Bengals were just like a joke and they made you know, they were easy to make fun of. They did a really good job of making fun of themselves. They just seem like a sad franchise. So then when I see my Bengals fans that I'm friends with enjoying the era that is Joe Burrow and they had some other decent runs, but like even when you thought they were good in previous eras you know, they always would let you down, like with Andy Dalton, even with Palmer. So when Joe Burrow took him to the Super Bowl, like I felt that was special, but I felt like a poser, as if I can't take joy in this. I'm happy for my guys, my friends who are big fans of the Bengals, but I can't. It would feel gross that like I'm a Bengals fan because I didn't sit through the sadness. So with the Ravens, I could be honest, I'd never liked the Ravens. And if you ask me Alan, do I like the Ravens, I would say well, there's this thing. There's a guy on their team who I really like, and his name's Lamar Jackson. So I'm you know, I'm not nervous because losing tonight would be what is expected. Right now as we speak, it is Baltimore, I believe, plus two and a half against of course, the Kansas City Chiefs, a team that I believe is without question in the midst of a dynasty. Some still think they need to do a little more. I'm not some of those people. I think they have shown with this, with this era they've got going with Mahomes, Kelsey, Andy Reid. Throw you throw Chris Jones in there, who is still one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Like they are in the midst of a of a dynasty. So there's not pressure for Lamar to win the night. It's just I know what that would mean for Lamar. But then again, if they didn't end up beating them in the playoffs, if it got to there, he'd be criticized. People would claim, well, you know, he just wins the MVP because he's got a good team around him, and you know he puts up big numbers. I mean, and again, I don't believe that. Maybe that wouldn't be what was said. But like, I've never in my life as a fan been so locked in for a team but only because of one guy. And I'm sure there are many Louisville fans right now that are like, yeah, I'm with you, Nick, I'm ex I'm with you now. I think Louisville fans that did not have an NFL team prior to Lamar being in the NFL, they that's their team now. But if Lamar left tomorrow, you would, you know, you would be a fan of the team he left for. And that's not a criticism, that's just the reality of it. Like I'm still a Colts fan. My sadness, Like in a way it's kind of John. It's almost like I benefit from it because if Lamar plays well and the Ravens lose. I get pissed if people criticize Lamar as if he's the problem. But like at the end of the day, I know, hey, I mean, the guy's got two MVPs. They've clearly done something right with him because he's clearly a big factor in their success. And when they lose, and again, I know, I sound like a Homer here. I think at times their struggles have had nothing to do with Lamar. Not to say he's been perfect, he's not. He didn't play great in that game in his first MVP season when they lost to the Titans in the playoffs, But like overall, like without Lamar, they're not, they're not anything. So it's almost like I benefit from it because again, if he's still putting up MVPs and yet they're struggling to get past the Chiefs, of course you are elite right now, Like it's almost like you know, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: He's still great.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying because I kind of did the same thing back when Kyle Schwarber was playing for the Cubs and then won the World.
Speaker 4: Sex Look, Kyle Schwarber, I love you bringing that name back around.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I can nood. But it relates relatively similar to because he was in Indiana Baseball Hoosier. He did well for the Cubs after going through like the Arizona Fall League or something like that, hit some massive home runs. That was your connection. That was my connection, and it gave me a rooting interest. But again I felt fraudulent because there are so many Cubs fans who lived through you know, the curse of however many years it was without a World Series title, that I felt like I didn't have the right to.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it the way that they did. I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 4: And if I you know, for example, like my colts, I don't have high expectations for them, but like when they lost last year to Stroud and the Texans in the in the in the playoffs, a game I was there for. I mean, like that that that killed me, Like that was that that was a that was that was terrible and I and that stuck with me, stuck with me for a little while. But like I kind of benefit from Lamar when his team loses, because usually he's still great. But what gets me is when there's criticism towards Lamar. But what I've decided to do today, not just for the show, but just as a fan, Like with Lamar, I need to take my own advice, not my own advice, but like I need to I need to do what I've instructed fans previously to do when it comes to Lamar, and that's this, He's reached a level as a professional athlete that there's more criticism that's going to come his way than ever. He's a two time MVP. The standard is really high for Lamar. He can play great, but if his team loses, there are the occasional scenarios that will play out to where like he literally might have had one of the best games ever but the defense was trash, or you know, a coaching decision, Like there are the rare occasions to where he could lose as a quarterback with that type of a resume, that type of expectation, and he would get no heat. But when you have arrived as professional athlete the way that Lamar has, there's always gonna be criticism.
Speaker 2: There's always going.
Speaker 4: To be those that act as if his MVP awards are not legitimate.
Speaker 2: And I used to think it was.
Speaker 4: Well, there are people still trying to claim they were right about him, meaning those that said he couldn't play quarterback in the NFL, that he should work out as a wide receiver, and that you know, there's no scenario he doesn't get his body broken in half after four years in the league. I used to think it was those guys that just wanted to be able to many years later lift their head up from the grave and claim they were right and they could pull the old I told you so, But that's not what this is. Those people have been proven wrong. They're idiots. I mean, everybody gets stuff wrong. I think the first MVP, in Lamar's early success, they still felt like they could potentially have that out to where yeah, I told you guys, you were fooled her. But the guy's a fraud.
Speaker 2: No that.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe some of those guys still are claiming that, but it's nonsense. Anybody acting as if Lamar Jackson's not one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL in the last five six years is a delusional human being. The proof is there. His peers in his profession respect him as one of the greats. He has two MVP awards, and last year, you know, all they did was make and run in the playoffs and lose to of course, a team that, as I've said many times and a lot of you guys probably agree, they're a dynasty. You know, I'm not gonna say that like it's gonna be Lamar Jackson as the bull, I'm sorry, as the Utah Jazz in the mid nineties, late nineties that are running into Jordan and the Bulls, but like, if you can't get past this current Chiefs team, you know that sucks, but like not many can. So it's not about those that still claim they were right that he's not quarterback. They've been proven wrong. They may not know it, they may not acknowledge it, but that's the truth. But I now just need to just not because because tonight, if they lose, and let's say they lose about ten or more and Mahomes looks like Mahomes and Lamar has a good game but makes some crucial mistakes late, it'll be described as when or when are the MVP voters gonna learn that Lamar is not deserving it's always Pat Mahomes. That that'll be the narrative, that'll be the noise that's out there, and I just need to deal with that. I just need to just accept that that's what this is now, and it, more than anything, is a sign of accomplishment for Lamar. He's hit a level to where even if he balled out tonight and had a phenomenal performance and they win. When it comes to the talking heads, those that have the round table shows on the big platforms like ESPN, even FS one, even you know, the big platforms that are now just digital only. The name of the game is to find a way to criticize. And I'm not at all claiming that Lamar Jackson in football is Lebron James and basketball because he's not, because I think Lebron is one of one to be honest with you, just my opinion, but Lamar has reached a level as a player that no matter what, there's gonna be criticism. And I used to tell Louisvill fans all the time, hey, quit quit worrying about it, just watch him play and enjoy it. And now I find myself as we get set for tonight's NFL opener, I'm worried about what's going to be said about Lamar and I need to just realize, no matter what he does, no matter what happens, there's gonna be criticism there, even if it's not valid. And look, I'll admit Louisville fans have been super sensitive to criticism for Lamar. Some of it it's like, you know, because he's had bad games, he's made bad decisions, he's done.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's not perfect, nobody is. He's human.
Speaker 4: But I think just because there was so many that just wanted it to be, They wanted to speak it into existence that he couldn't cut it in the NFL. He's just nine nights. That's gimmicky. That's Bobby Patrino. He didn't have the arm. Well, nobody watched him play in college that didn't have the arm. He's got a phenomenal arm. So I today feels like game day for me. But when I tell you John, Hey, it's game day, let's go, I feel like a fraud because I don't care about the Ravens.
Speaker 2: I just care about Lamar.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair though, and especially because I'm owning it. By the way, he's been a relevant I mean in more than relevant. He is one of the best football players currently in the NFL, and he's been that for the last several years. And I think there's you can be a fan of a player. There are fans of lebron James, fans of Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Whoever.
Speaker 1: Maybe you were a fan of Peyton Manning when he was with the Colts and maybe even when he's with the Broncos. So I mean, I think it's okay to be a fan of just.
Speaker 4: A player I learned about myself when Peyton left Indianapolis, because I became a fan of the Colts before Peyton. But obviously, like when things were good and I felt like we had a future, and obviously we had some great times with Peyton. You know, that was when I think of myself as a young Colts fan. I think of Peyton Manning. Who wouldn't I don't know how you couldn't be honest with you. So when he left to go to Denver, like I remember, like my dad, who is the reason I'm a Colts fan. He didn't really care about the Colts anymore. And if Dad, if you're listening, I might this might be me telling you for the first time, I broke my heart.
Speaker 2: Dad killed me.
Speaker 4: Because I thought you raised me to be a loyal fan and you heavy. I mean, I went up to a first I went to a preseason game when the Colts played the Arizona Cardinals when I was a little kid harball as a quarterback. They just drafted Edrian James. But I was a Colt.
Speaker 2: I knew.
Speaker 4: Dad sent me up to the game. You're a Colts fan now, and I said, I'm a Colts fan. Well, then we get Peyton. We get a Super Bowl, he leaves, and you just want me to not be a good I mean, he didn't tell me to be a fan of anybody, but like you know, he just decided he was gonna be a Broncos fan. And I wanted to see Peyton win, and I loved it when he won a champ he won a Super Bowl with. In fact, I was in a hospital the night that Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos. My wife and I left the hospital, left a Super Bowl party, and she claimed she thought her water broke, but she wasn't sure. Looks at me as if I've got experience in that situation.
Speaker 2: Well, honey, I can't. I don't know what am I gonna say?
Speaker 4: Like I mean, like you know, so we ended up going to the hospital that night just to be safe, you know, maybe the water did break, and sure enough it did. We had a baby the next day. Like I'll remember that, like it. I was so happy to see Peyton with no arm a noodle for an arm. But yet von Miller, I think it was was so great Defensively, it didn't matter. Cam Newton was a bum in that game, and Peyton got another and I was happy for him. But like when Andrew Luck was our next guy, like I was all in. It actually gave me new life as a fan because I realized it's not just a Peyton thing, like I'm all in. And then Andrew Luck has decided to retire. I feel like I'm I'm on the couch where you were laying down, just talking about your life, talking about my life as an NFL fan and my Colts. We got Lucky Man. We went from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck and then he just decided he wanted to go ski in Colorado and not be our quarterback a day before the season starts. And yes, I'm still dealing with the trauma of that. That's clearly what's happening here. But I'm a Colts fan and I always will be. I can't quit them. They drafted Anthony Richardson. I thought that might do it. Nope, I'm still a fan. I still care about what they do. They lost to the Jaguars the only game they had to just beat the Jaguars in Week sixteen to make the playoffs two years ago. They couldn't do that with Philip Rivers. I think it was so you know I'm a Colts fan, but with Lamar Man, I just I don't know. I think I'm chasing and seeking something that may never happen. And that's just the full overall approval of Lamar as a guy who has proven himself.
Speaker 2: To be elite.
Speaker 4: But he's already proven that and you know, me, as a fan, seeking out validation from others is just a waste of time. With all that said, though, I hope, like hell, they win the night, and I know winning tonight won't mean as much if you can if you can't get past him in the postseason, if that's what ends up happening, but man, it'd be big.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 4: Welcome in everybody. It's coffee and company fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us, letting me get through my therapy session. Hopefully you guys were able to stick through that because you know, I'm just I'm going through it. NFL season starts, I know my team's gonna suck, and with the Ravens, I feel like a fraud claiming I'm a fan, but it's all about Lamar. So anyways, we got a busy show for the next two hours and forty five minutes roughly, we are gonna be joined coming up here at four thirty. I'm sorry, three thirty, by the one and the only, mister Kendrick Haskins of Way three is gonna join us. We'll talk about a variety of things, and at four thirty will bring in former Louisville Cardinal Alex Kupper. And I'm curious to hear what Cup's going to give us as far as what he wants to see from week one to week two, in regardless as far as feeling as if Louisville can take steps forward here. I know, I kind of feel like the worst thing about these two games being the openers is that I've gone through the entire offseason just impatiently waiting for football to start, and then it's here, and you know, they're real games, right. You had a real game when you beat Austin p You got a real game coming up on Saturday against Jacksonville State. But you're like, you know, you know you're gonna win, and you're not really sure what you can really take from it regardless of the result, because again, if you'll blow them off the field, that's what you're supposed to do, and that would be encouraging.
Speaker 2: But if you end up, you.
Speaker 4: Know, win in thirty eight to ten and you don't cover twenty eight and a half, you know, some people might feel discouraged, and I guess I would understand, but I would also know that like, hey, it probably doesn't mean much of anything. So again, I'm I'm looking forward to seeing this team on the field once again, getting more familiar with all the new players, all the new pieces that you have, because that's exciting. But I have never been more I've never been more content in my mindset as a fan. Don't give me these games, And again, beggars can't be choosers, right, I want I wanted football season for months and now it's here, and I mean, I guess I'm complaining. I mean, it's better than not having a game, but man, I just want I want some value there. And I could keep going back to this Kentucky South Carolina game. It's not gonna matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of like the SEC, but overall, like that's that's a game that matters when it comes to conference standings. And I think whatever happens with Kentucky here on Saturday is going to really I mean, it won't define their season because who knows, Maybe whatever happens ends up being an outlier, like maybe they win big and then stink, maybe they lose and end up pulling off some upset.
Speaker 2: You just never know.
Speaker 4: But like week two for them, they're gonna get a real feel for which direction they think their team is going. And we won't have that as Louisville fans for a little while longer, and I'm I'm just jealous of that.
Speaker 2: All right. Some other things we'll get into today.
Speaker 4: There's more information coming out as far as Penny Hardaway ditching all of his staff in September, which is rare, unheard of, honestly. Well, it's because there's there's been some allegations made about his program. And nobody is going to be clutching the pearls anymore when it comes to players getting money, even if it's before nil was allowed. Nobody's going to get upset about an academic advisor maybe doing some coursework for an athlete, because you know what this is, pro sports, ladies and gentlemen, it.
Speaker 2: Is and you can get away with it.
Speaker 4: It's all online now they probably got They've probably got people doing class work for kids that you know aren't even in the same state. I mean, I don't know that for sure, but it wouldn't shock me. But what I want to know is who wrote an anonymous letter of the Memphis Athletic Department with specific details about what's going on, because that's somebody on the inside. Penny got turned in by one of his own and I don't know if we're ever going to find out who it is, but I'll tell you what I hope we do. I'm fascinated by it. Also, Jasper Johnson did commit to Kentucky. It certainly looked as if that's the way things we were going. And it's a big get for Mark Pope, no doubt about it. And these kids Michael Moreno, Jasper Johnson, two highly regarded recruits, kids that honestly, had they committed to Caliperi, both these guys would be viewed as big time editions. So I'm not sure it could have worked out any better for Mark Pope. He comes in right away, and you know, these two kids, who again had offers and options to go to big time schools, they want to stay home and play for Mark Pope. Good sign for him. There's no way to like, I mean, I'm not trying to give any kind of a of a spin zone here to set it up as anything other than what it is. It's impressive, but did he set the standard? Like could this potentially give Kentucky fans maybe an unrealistic expectation for him as a recruiter, because with Cali Perry, that's the one thing they never struggle at putting together elite recruiting classes. They thought maybe Pope wouldn't be able to do that, but it wouldn't matter as much because that's not as important. Now you can use the portal and be really good and really you could have a team that makes a final foward to where there's not a freshman on the roster that gets a sniff of playing time in real games like that. That's where we are now. But I'm just curious, and we won't know this for quite some time. Will this lead to that being the expectation? Well, people realize that these kids the biggest reason why they went to Kentucky is because they're from Kentucky and they I mean Jasper Johnson. Again, it's a credit to Mark Pope and his staff for really kind of starting fresh and getting this kid to decide to stay home and play for Kentucky. But he had I mean he had a I mean his father, his uncle, his grandfather. I mean, he has connections to UK that like it would be a shocker if he went anywhere else. But before Mark Pope got involved, I don't need the Kentucky was even in the mix. I mean, I think it was going to be Carolina or Alabama it sounds like, so no doubt it's a big git for Pope And for those wondering will he be able to recruit, it's just you know, it's one class up to this point. But right now, the foundation of that class features a highly regarded five star in Jasper Johnson and Michael Moreno, who's one of the best bigs in that class high four star. I think he may be a five star somewhere. So no doubt that's a big git for Mark Pope and his staff. And then I don't know, I mean not to turn this into TMZ, but this story about an expected slash planned breakup between Travis Kelcey and Taylor Swift. Kelsey's attorneys are fighting to find out who put together this fake document to that that lays out a very detailed plan for them to break up later this month in September. And you know, there's a lot of stuff on the internet that looks real that's not. But like, I'm still of the belief that they may not actually be a real couple. I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, John, You know that about me. I usually think anybody that's thrown out conspiracies has just lost their mind. They need the tenfoil hat. Yeah, I'm still not convinced they're a real couple, just just for the TMZ stuff that you mentioned. I mean they've been, They've been anytime last year, especially where's the wedding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the kids.
Speaker 1: Anything that was an NFL story that wasn't related to football specifically was about Taylor Swift and Travis Kelcey well.
Speaker 4: And then like with her lifestyle and even his, how could they even like when do they hang out?
Speaker 1: I mean they I don't know when they hang out, but they've there's been video proof, I guess, or evidence of him being at Taylor Swift's concerts on accsion.
Speaker 2: It's all for show, John, But that's.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying like that they're seeing each other. Whether it's real or not, it's still.
Speaker 2: Just could be AI. You don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not again, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but for this, I kind of am.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: I would love to like it eventually be proven that they were never really together.
Speaker 2: Just because of all our time.
Speaker 4: But it would expose all the sheep, it would in this country that are here among us. All right, let's get to a quick break. We'll bring in Kendrick Haskins of Way three on the other side. Appreciate you guys hanging with us, but take you up till six o'clock. NFL season opener tonight Ravens Chiefs good stuff. I mean, I was gonna say right here, you want to hear the game right here, but you know we're gonna be here till six, So hang out.
Speaker 2: It's Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: It's right coffee and company rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you, you guys hanging out with us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We are fueled bout Thornton's. Make sure you sign up and become a member of the Refreshment Awards program. At Thornton's. If you haven't already, it's easy to do. Just download the app. You've an Android and iPhone, you'll find it. It's easy and again, your life will be better if you are a member of the Refreshming Awards program. Our lives are now better because we now bring him in. He's mister Kendrick Haskins from Way three Sports.
Speaker 2: How we doing today, brother, I'm doing well.
Speaker 3: It's just now my way into the station for the day.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me start with this.
Speaker 4: Is there anything Louisville can do in this game against Jacksonville State to where you can say, okay, you know they got better from week one to week two? And I ask that telling you straight up, I don't have an answer, because you know, you do what you're supposed to do against Austin p Now you've got Jacksonville State, who's a you know, a notch above, but you know, a forty point win is really taking care of business.
Speaker 2: Fans can be encouraged.
Speaker 4: But I mean, it's been a while since Louisville's had games like this, Kendrick, where you know they start off the first two games with with opponents of this caliber.
Speaker 3: Right and it's hard to gauge. You don't want to get excited because of the opponent, and so I think the best way to show improvement, well, if they can put up another shutout, that would be pretty impressive. Back to back shutouts is impressed regardless. But if you really at this point you just want to see the offense move the ball like they're supposed to, like they did, and really just take care of business. I don't think you want to glean too much of it, and you know, have projections towards the future, but just want to make sure that they're not going to take a step back.
Speaker 4: And again, the competition was certainly a factor as far as what happened against that Austin you know, against Austin p But I felt like Tyler shuck more than just the numbers, you know, he looked the part. And again that can be misleading. You never know what to make of it against these kind of teams. But he looked like he had a confidence in himself in his arm that I think fans I think understandably got excited about.
Speaker 3: I was here to say the same thing. There was a confidence back there in the pocket.
Speaker 5: That you.
Speaker 3: Basically all the last season. So it is out there on the field and you've got the confidence, and he had time to throw, and you know, if you got time to throw, you can go through your progressions. That's gonna give you a lot of confidence and hopefully the offensive line can keep them up right and.
Speaker 2: Keep them healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's switch gears here and talk about the Kentucky game. Because they opened up against Southern miss and mother nature was not cooperative. That game was delayed and then it went into another delay once the game had started, and then they just never resumed. I mean, I'm sure there are many many fans that were not thinking about you guys in your industry and what you guys do for for for the television side of things. But like you all that that's the worst for you guys, right, Like dealing with that waiting it out, not knowing, I mean, like that that makes it to where like your your your shift essentially on that day becomes never ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the worst part because well a lot of people don't realize. So on the weekends, you know, there's sports on the morning shows. Obviously those are recorded before, so so when the game does an end on one one o'clock in the morning. You have to have the final score. Those are times when I've given up on like day one, here's the final score, and we just put the score up there on the screen, you know, And I don't like that because it didn't start to what after ten o'clock on Friday on Saturday nights again with so yeah, it gets it gets a little tricky and on late games like that to start and stop. But it did help me out though.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, So I had.
Speaker 3: A parlay play with QB throwing uh.
Speaker 5: Two and a half touchdown passages, okay, scoring a touchdown, so I hit those two, but I didn't have Kentucky covering, so because they suspended the game, they threw that part of my parlay out, so I won my I hit two of my leaves of parlay, got paid, so that was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's that.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I had a similar I had a buddy who was in a similar situation where he had a parlay in the last leg was Kentucky covering, and uh, they didn't have a chance to cover. So therefore it's just like like it's an easy decision for the books because if a game did not actually get the full Lenk. Then like both sides can claim that any any decision would be invalid. Now, if you're somebody that you know, uh felt like if they would have finished, it would have given you a win, where when they called it void, it didn't you know, I guess you could be sol but no, I I you were not the first person I've heard that you know, they're they're they're there there, they just got avoided. But so that actually, so that's that's great. I don't know where you bet and we don't need to know. But like the fact that they still honored the others is I think a good look on their part because they could avoided everything and just claimed, hey, the game didn't finish.
Speaker 2: We didn't know you anything, right, right.
Speaker 3: They could have they could have avoided it all the way out, or they could have been like, hey that was the final score and then I would have lost. Yeah, they would have covered because the cover was twenty eight and they had thirty one. So they voided it all together. So it helped me out. Said, yeah, that's a good look, a good good pr move by this.
Speaker 4: I love it because again, before sports betting, you may not have had a silver lining.
Speaker 2: After Saturday night being a long night, right, and now.
Speaker 4: You got one because the because because we're betting on sports and it makes it fun.
Speaker 2: It's uh, that's a that's the good stuff.
Speaker 4: Uh. What do you make of tonight's matchup? Obviously it's it's a big time match to start the NFL season.
Speaker 2: Mahomes Jackson.
Speaker 4: I mean I I talked about at the beginning of the show, Kendrick I, I'm not a Ravens fan. I'd be a fraud to say that I am, but clearly as a Louisville fan myself, I want the best for Lamar, and today was a day where I did some soul searching.
Speaker 2: Uncle Kendrick.
Speaker 4: I decided that I need to not worry about the noise about Lamar because he's already proven everybody wrong that he couldn't be a quarterback in the NFL. He's got twimv P trophies, and he's given the Ravens a lot of success. He's been a huge factor, maybe the biggest factor in their success at least in the last couple of years. And like, no matter what happens, he's reached a level as a professional athlete that there's always gonna be noise, no matter what happens with him about him not being good enough or not getting it done, because that's just kind of how this works. But yet I want it so badly for him. I want him to do something tonight to where everybody will say, you know what this guy really is.
Speaker 2: He's something special. We should never doubt him again.
Speaker 4: But there's always going to be doubters because that's the level he's reached as a pro athlete.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of that has to do with the type of person Lamar is, because Lamar is just a lovable guy. Anybody who's been around Lamar knows that he just the guy that's easy to root for. He's one of those guys. Even Kentucky fans root for Lamar. How could you think, right, He's just a guy that you root for. So you see people hating on him, and it's for a lot of times it's the stuff that's outside of his control.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, it does.
Speaker 3: Kind of rub you the wrong way. You do want to you want to see him shut them up, But at the same time, that's the business he is. He's so he's got to show show up in the playoffs and win playoffs games and make the serious Super Bowl run. It seemed like last year was he was a year of any so far in his career where he could have done it, and again somewhat out of his control, a little bit in his control but not totally was to play calling. They decided they wanted Lamar to be a pocket pass instead of using his most dangerous weapon, which was his legs, and they ended up not beating the Chiefs in the playoffs. And so it's one of those things he does kind of have to get it done, but you're rooting for him forward to get it done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think this Ravens team, like where do you see?
Speaker 4: Their window to me is still in a good place, meaning that they have a lot of I mean, Lamar obviously is their franchise quarterback. They're heavily invested in him. He's coming off of an MVP season. They drafted well at receiver. I think Z eight Flowers has a bright future. They brought in Derrick Henry. Not sure much gas he has left in the tank, but certainly he's a good weapon. I mean as far as the window to succeed, I mean, I just put it this way. I worry about Lamar and the Ravens having one of the best runs they've had as a franchise. But you know who's going to be in their way is the Chiefs team that I don't see slowing down anytime soon. And I have no problem saying right now, even if they don't get another Super Bowl, I feel like you can claim that that's that's a dynasty.
Speaker 3: It is a dynasty. It's it's it's It's kind of like Jordan back in the nineties. It's like, you know, those Knicks teams are as good as any teams in the history in the NBA, and they couldn't get past Mike and then stock them alone, Stocked them alone to one of the best one to two punches you ever had in the NBA. Could not beat Michael Jordan's And it kind of feels like that with the Chiefs. You do wonder what the Chiefs, what's it gonna look like when Kelsey retires, because Kelsey probably only has a couple more seasons left in it, because you know, you know, he's actually older than Kronk.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 3: I've heard that somewhere he's actually older than Gronk.
Speaker 2: I would have ever known that, right.
Speaker 3: How many years he has left in it, And what does that offense look like with Allen, because I mean he means so much, especially last season when those receivers the last couple of seasons, the Chiefs receivers have not exactly been first class in the NFL since Mahomes and Maholmes can make plays and Kelsey makes plays, so you wonder what it looks like after that. But also getting back to Lamar, it's not only just the Chiefs. The Bengals are right there in the division and like the best quarterbacks in the NFL, all in the AFC for the most part, and so it's and they're all young, they're all right around the same age. So it's going to be fun to watch, but it's going to be an uphill, an uphill client for everybody not named Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: Kendrick Hassen Sarch guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm sure you've seen the news of Jasper Johnson committing to Mark Pope in Kentucky. Two big time commitments here from within the state for Mark Popen. The first class he's really putting together. I know obviously last year. You know, coaches are always viewed when it comes to their first class being the one that they actually had some time to go out and put together. He did inherit a couple of commitments from from last year's group, But I mean, I would say if you ask Kentucky fans, you know, when he was hired and they calmed down and realized, hey, you know, maybe this could work out. Like they have to be super pleased with what he's done with keeping both of these guys in Kentucky, which again I think them being Kentucky kids certainly helped Pope. But these guys had options to go really anywhere, especially Jasper Johnson, So I mean, big big shoes to fill when it comes to recruiting because of Caliperry and what he's been able to do. But I don't know if he could have worked out any better at this point.
Speaker 2: For Mark Pope, that's.
Speaker 3: Worked out great for him. He had he had an inside on both of us though, from Reno really just being up the street from Lexington and then Jasper Johnson's staff playing football at the UK, so he kind of had a feeling they were both gonna end up in Kentucky anyway. But whatever they got there as all that matters. He got him and we've we've seen guys go different places before, but Jasper Johnson, I saw him younger and younger in his career. I think he was a sophomore when I saw him play in the Sweet Sick And he's an electric, electric guy. He's athletic, he's long, he can, he can get to the hole whatever he needs to. So he's going to be a great addition to them. And Mark Pope is doing what he's supposed to do as a Kentucky coach. He'sposed to know there's the top tier talent in the state he's supposed to be able to give him and so.
Speaker 2: Far, so good.
Speaker 4: All right, one more question for you, Kendrick Again, Louisville and Jacksonville State not a big time matchup by any means, and I don't think Kentucky South Carolina is viewed as a big game on the card for a lot of folks that just are interested in college football. But for both these teams, you know, this is a game both needed a major way to have the type of season they want to have. And I don't mean, you know, went out and go to the SEC Championship, but they look at each other as Okay, if we're going to be not at the bottom of this league, we got to win this game. South Carolina has had Kentucky's number as of late, although big picture, Mark Tuops has done pretty well against South Carolina. I mean again, it's not a big game on game day, it's not going to lead the common versation. But I feel like this is a huge matchup. I'm just curious of your of your your thoughts on this one for Mark, for Mark Stoops and his team, because I do think they're deserving favorites or they are better. But a potential loss, I kind of feel like you'll hear more noise about not fans wanting Stoops to be fired, but like this would be a bad loss for them.
Speaker 3: I feel like it would be because of at home. This series has been really weird because, like you said, Stoops has had good success against South Carolina. It's been plenty of times when Kentucky's when South Carolina was the favorite, in Kentucky's beat them.
Speaker 2: Has been a weird series, right, Yeah, they kind of own South.
Speaker 3: Carolina there for a while. In South Carolina ut up to beat them a couple of times. It will be an interesting game on Saturday. I think I think it's going to be more interested than the national media is gonna give them credit for them. But yeah, it's a measuring sticks game for both teams because iew both of them as kind of on equal footing as far as the SEC goes, and you know, you want to get to that next level and you've got to beat those opponents. You got to beat the opponents that you're equal, who are better than I think Kentucky is slightly better than them this year, and so Kentucky needs to win this game. But I really wouldn't. I mean, I think they're was a touchdown favorite in the game, but I wouldn't be surprised in South Carolina won that game, because how weird that series has gotten lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, if you're if you're Kentucky, you know, I think you look at this game is knowing it's when you certainly can win. But the importance is is much more knowing that you're not in divisions anymore. You got Texas on the schedule, Oklahoma's now in your league. And I just feel like, whoever loses this game, the fan bases are gonna be and they could be wrong, right. Maybe whatever happens here's an outlier. But I feel like this gives both fan bases here Kentucky specifically, it gives you a week two I guess, look ahead potentially as to where your season goes.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, I think they will win. I think they're better.
Speaker 4: But to your point, South Carolina pulls off an upset here, it's not something that's gonna be that's gonna send shockwaves through the college football world and.
Speaker 3: For Kentucky specifically, because this schedule is so insane. You gotta get as many home wins as you can and so and this is a winnable game at home. You have to get this one because like the rest of their schedule, this insane in South Carolina. This week been Georgia next week. Yes, yeah, you gotta get the wins when you can. So the South Carolina is the Ohios and those games even Vanderbilt, even though Vanderbilt I think it's gonna be a tougher game than usual. You have to get those games at home.
Speaker 4: Kendrick, you are the man. I appreciate you making time for us and we will chat with you soon.
Speaker 2: My friend.
Speaker 4: Take care, man, You take take care. That's Kendrick Haskins from Way three Sports. Always appreciate him making time for us.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 4: Let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Wrap at the three o'clock hour. Don't forget what we're taking you up till six o'clock at his Coffee and Company. Fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Laren Tippin here on a Thursday.
Speaker 2: I like it. Good stuff.
Speaker 4: It's coffee and company. We are fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. This text says Nick, let me see Nick as a Kentucky fan. I will say the recruiting love is not what it once was. Had Jasper Johnson committed ten years ago, it would have been a huge deal with the portal. Now, although it's a good piece of news, it just doesn't hit the same Yeah, I mean, I think that's not a I mean I think that, to be honest with you, I think it makes total sense, right, I mean, you still want to get really good freshmen. And I think every coach will tell you that there's still value in going out and getting elite high school players in both basketball and football, though it is different. I mean, in football it's just tough. I mean, it's rare for a super talented freshman to make such an impact in his first year as a college football player. In basketball, you can have. I mean, I happen to believe and we'll see. You know, maybe I'm way off here. I think the best player in college basketball this year is going to be a true freshman in Cooper Flag.
Speaker 2: So, but that's rare.
Speaker 4: You don't, you know, have guys that come around like that that often. So yeah, it is kind of sad, you know. I as long as your team's winning and and you know you're bringing in players, regardless if it's a freshman or a transfer, if they're giving you success, then that's that's what you want. But there was something about knowing, hey, we got a special class, and we know that right away, maybe only two of these four or two of these five are going to make somewhat of an impact. The others we might have to wait, but man, this group could be one that is special. When it's all said and done, there is something to be said about no longer really having that because you know, let's say Pat Kelsey or Mark Pope each bring in five freshmen next year that are really talented to really give you, you know, a nice boost. Realistically speaking, on average, I'd say two, maybe three of the five are going to be there after two years, because that's just what college sports is now with the portal. I mean, that's that and I think there's already been some examples of it. But sometimes you're gonna have guys leaving. It's nobody's fault. It's just the players now have the control, they have the power. They can do whatever they want, and if they know that they can go closer to home, maybe go somewhere they've always wanted to go after now showing as a college athlete that they're you know, able to compete at that level.
Speaker 2: Like it's just you know it.
Speaker 4: I'm someone that realizes that it's you know, you can't you can't go backwards now. I mean, the portal's never going away. Nil's never going away. This is what it is. So as much as it is different, I love college sports so much, especially basketball and football to where like I don't give much thought to like, man, I really miss what it used to be like. However, it is a lot different. There's no doubt at that, no doubt about that at all, all right. Also no doubt about my inability to manage the clock here because very short segment.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 4: We got two hours left, a lot more to get into. The NFL season starts tonight, just a couple of days away from another college football Saturday, and.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling good.
Speaker 4: John made me a cup of coffee and I'm already feeling the energy from it. Yeah, the kick is there, so stick with us. We got two more hours left. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety