Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Games for After Dark episode one one six. We are just one episode from being designated the mister Chef of Halo Universe. My name is more saying you heard me, you know what I'm talking about. And I am joined as always by Jean Luke Sipeke, who just said, what how.
Speaker 2: Do you do gamers? It is early. I am tired, but it's tam pointed out. It gives you that good a deep podcast voice you.
Speaker 1: Get the also joined by Lucy James Games. James Games.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is my full name. Hello, how's everyone?
Speaker 4: A lot of games in that name, like.
Speaker 3: Play, I play a few, but to but non to dabble for.
Speaker 1: Every game you completely added James and a game zone until.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you complete three games the last time, you know? Uh? And a final member of this podcast quartet is of course the one only you're a Dane Suno.
Speaker 4: I am also exceptionally tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is what it's about. See, this is a good thing. Where us three are in the same time Yeah, but you you two are like used to this time zone. I'm still I'm I think I'm permanently stuck in jet leg time zone. So I was up at four am, like, all right, let's do this. So I'm halfway of my day at this point. Yeah, I MEANPM my my face is going to hit the concrete and I'll be out.
Speaker 3: I'm at the end of my day, so I'm feeling chipper. I've not really spoken to anyone all day because I mean most of the team is on the West Coast. I'm like, so, I guys, I talk to myself then it's fine. The UK boys are around. I live with one of the UK boys, but like their heads down working on stuff, and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to this used to be something I did in the past. Anyway, I'd like mumble for myself. But in the in the quarantine period, I have fallen gone into having conversations with myself. And I'm very glad that. Like when I was at home in the UK, it was fine because my brothers and they were living with me and they're very used to it by now, so they understand what's going on coming back here. I've kept that habit. I'm very lucky that Chastity like doesn't notice me doing it a lot. My roommate and usually when I'm like in the living room, I can see her so like it's like a mental note to not do it. But there are sometimes like it happened last night. I no, no, I went downstairs into the kitchen at about it must have been like eleven PM because I was really hungry and I was like, I'm going to have a little snack and as I was making it was like a guilty snack. And I was as I was making the snack, I was talking to myself about like the snacks. I've been like, it's only this many calories. I haven't had this much, so I'm well underneath my deficit. I was talking to myself and I was thinking about, like talking out loud my workout routine for the next day, and then out of nowhere, I just heard chest in his voice and I turned around.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh no, I mean, she's.
Speaker 3: Not gonna judge you for that, like I remember, No.
Speaker 1: No, she's not. It's just weird in it.
Speaker 3: It's not I mean when I mean this is weird. When I was into like one of your story, but I've just had like a weird flashback memory of when I was I was about to say when I was a kid, But realistically, I don't think I was really that young. I would have been early to mid teens. But I used to pretend to be on cribs and whenever I was home alone, and I would like give tours of my house if I was on cribs. And I would also do that when I was tidying up. I would be like, I don't know, pretending like I was on some TV show for hoarders or something, and I like narrate whenever I was tidying things. Hmmm, I can't even say that I've grown out of it.
Speaker 2: I have to like say out loud when I'm thinking for like a script, to kind of like get it in my head. So I am just like Georgia probably just hears me like muttering about video games and like, you know, systems and nonsense all day and systems.
Speaker 1: I'm the same way. We've reviews I read. I read my review, but like I'll read it every time I add like a paragraph, I have to start from the beginning and read it again. I'm like such a stickler for how it flows where sometimes like I'll add a word and read the entire thing again out loud to see how that one word fits in. But it takes me so long to write a goddamn review.
Speaker 5: You only one of the fastest reviewers I know about to say, didn't you review Secure out in like three days or something?
Speaker 3: I mean in a day?
Speaker 1: Man, if I didn't have to reread it after I had a word, and it'll take me an hour. I know people who literally who literally pump out reviews in two or three hours, and I cannot. I do not understand. I'm like, how do you do that? That's wild? Not all of them are good, but you know they do it. They do it anyways. You are, of course listen to the games. But after that podcast and we are going to kick it off as normal with what we've been playing, Jordan, what you've been up to.
Speaker 4: You know that I can't talk about the game that I've been up to.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna check this because three but there is an there's an embargo on Friday that we can it's a video.
Speaker 2: You're not allowed. You're not allowed to give any impressions excited, you.
Speaker 1: Can't even say what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you paid. There's gonna be like two videos that we've made that come out today. Hang on reading it.
Speaker 2: I'm literally working out a video that will come out before this podcast for a game, so people will know, people will know.
Speaker 4: So people will know based on John looks videos, like going to a video. Look at what videos John Luke has recently, and look forward to next week when we can all talk about it.
Speaker 2: We can do, but yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Embargo is so weird, and we'll talk about it next week. Anything else you enough the children that you can talk about what's going on?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I honestly I haven't anything.
Speaker 1: Just tell me what you ate for breakfast. Tell me what you think they ate breakfast?
Speaker 4: You think I ate breakfast today when I have to get up for eight thirty am podcasts.
Speaker 3: Again, I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Coffee right now and that's going to be my breakfast. And I've a dentist appointment later, so I'm kind of like throwing going back and forth. I'm like, should I eat something? I'd have to like clean my teeth extra before going into the dentist, and I'm not sure if I want to have to like deal with that hassle. It's just just the whole thing. But no, Like I haven't been able to play too much or do too many things because I've just been prepping for this upcoming Monday is my one year anniversary for with my partner, and so I've been spending a lot of my after work hours prepping for stuff like that. Haven't been playing things. I want to play stuff. I want to get back to onsiteed. I want to play that what is it called Inscription, that spooky card.
Speaker 1: Based game that people have been talking about on Twitter. But it looks streaming it is and it looks really cool. Yeah, So my question, my question instead what we'll pivot to, is what you excited about for the rest of the year.
Speaker 4: I have I have so many things. We have a short podcast today. Why would you ask me something like that?
Speaker 1: Just give me? Just give me one or two.
Speaker 4: I think my current top two would be Chorus, that game we are playing as the woman who's piloting a ship that has like an artificial intelligence and gives me like major technical two vibes and you unlock abilities for the ship. It's the one that has it's.
Speaker 1: Like sched because with a v which is weird. Oh I know that one night yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah. And then Halo Infinite like it's Halo Infinite' is just one of those games like the campaign could be absolute uh dog shit, and I'm hoping that it's not. But I had such a fun time with the multiplayer that I'm like, yeah, it's real good. I just want to do this and it comes out on my birthday, so like it's Xbox celebrating.
Speaker 3: Me and it's fake. It has to be good.
Speaker 1: That's fair. I think. Yeah, those are those two. Wellio is definitely high on my one. But Lucy, what you been up to?
Speaker 3: Well? I finished Life a Strange True Colors on stream last night. Jordan term thank you so much for popping it. Like Jordan Jordan popped in and immediately went, ah, I see you're at the sad episode.
Speaker 2: You've got.
Speaker 1: I started playing it the other day. It's good.
Speaker 3: I really really enjoyed it. I've kind of steered away from Life for Strange for a few years, and I missed out a lot. I haven't I haven't played is it which is the one where Steph is introduced as that before the storm?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I missed that one. So I didn't really have any clue really who Steph was. My chat and I were very much team Steph and so we run around her. But overall, I loved it. I thought it was really well put together, just mystery story. Characters were fun and interesting, and I felt like I actually cared about them. At the end, I thought the writing was like miles better than I felt I felt like looking back, especially the original Life is strange. It's a little bit awkward, like the Hellas and the all that kind of stuff, and there are some like goofy things in before in True Colors too, but I overall felt like I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed I love the original. Life is strange for very different reasons. And yeah, I kind of want to we've went to Colorado now because that place looks but no, I had a really good time. That's something I've been playing. The next thing I'll be playing will be Alan Wake remastered on stream. The thing is is that I don't want to take your steeze term. I don't want to play Souls, and also I'm very afraid that I will suck at Souls, and I don't want to suck at Souls on. But then if you, if you want to get a good game play, you could just go watch your VODs.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe if I never played, I haven't played Dark Doors one on stream through since the game first came out, like I streamed damn. Yeah, like I was thinking about it. But also like people are like, you should play Blooborn, you should play bloodbor and I'm like, yeah, I know you probably want to see me play blood Born, but I know that you're expecting me to play Bloodborn in a way that I don't play Bloodborn, which be very good at the game. I don't play Bloodborn like that. I play blood Born by man, look at this nice texture on the floor, isn't it really nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And like this is this, this is some good vibes in here or some bad vibes, spooky vibes. I'm just gonna here for a bit and entertaining. But I have been edging towards doing Bloodborn. But I can understand why you wouldn't do it, But nevertheless, I'm going to still keep annoying you by telling you about I like it it.
Speaker 3: And also it's just like I am also a bit all over the place emotionally not really. Yeah, I'm going to be moving soon and I don't really want to start something that is going to have like a big disruption in the middle of it, which I feel like Alan Allen makes quite short. I could probably knock that out before I move. But in terms of like movies, I've watched as it is the Spooky Months, I watched Jennifer's Body for the first time, Abe too, you did, Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, I am making a resurgence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing. And then did you see that the brats Dolls made a kind of machine man of the tongue scene?
Speaker 2: And I was like, what is going on in twenty twenty one? Right now.
Speaker 3: That's the key audience for Brad Steles And now it's like it's just queer. People found some kind of awakening with Jennifer's Body. But no, it was like I was watching it and I was like, oh my god, this movie. I never understood Megan Fox before, but now I understand she's so hard.
Speaker 2: Do you watch the original or the director or the unrated version?
Speaker 3: I don't know it was, whichever version was on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so it's fun Probably no, okay.
Speaker 3: It's Fox. I will, I will, I will take a look.
Speaker 2: At there is not actually unrated in the sense that like they added more content. They actually just like recut it a lot of it, so like I looked up the changes and it's like all these very minor changes of like oh and stuff of holding on this shot for five seconds, we hold on it for three seconds, and this kind of thing, Like I guess apparently it's just a funnier the directors.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: The unedited version is what I heard when we were looking it up, So that's the version we watched. That movie is not what I expected, Like tonally, I.
Speaker 3: Had no idea what it was.
Speaker 2: It's good and it's very good. It feels like a movie that exists. It something about like the way that people act reminded me of like a movie from like two thousand and three, but it was made in two thousand and nine. And then it's got this weird like it's got these big actors like you know, like Megan Fox and like Chris Pratt shows up for one scene to act like a wrong in and then leave, which is oh yeah, like in Wild and I was like, what is going on with this movie?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: But then just like the use of music and the like the comedy tones like really come out of nowhere, but in like a really goo good way. I tweeted that it reminded me of life is strange. Yeah, it does, and it totally does. And it's like I have a hard time like explaining what about it exactly, but just something about like the way it's edited and the use of music and the way like the characters talk to each other, like it has that like, oh, the soundtrack is so soundtrack is so good. And then it's like it's all these like people trying to talk like high schoolers and in the way that they do in Life is Strange one where it's like either you're really into that or you're like this is cringey, but it's fun. I don't know. Big, It's like life is strange if Chloe Price was possessed by a demon is basically how I pitched how I pitched that that life.
Speaker 4: Is strange for vampire main character.
Speaker 1: That is genuinely a good idea. I would love to see Life is Strange going like a more haunted direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like Riverdale kind of vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Just be like listen where a rivet because have you seen Rivedal recently? Like I've never watched Riverdale, but I was watched that video Riverdale and I was like, what in God's name is happening with this TV show.
Speaker 2: It is wild.
Speaker 4: I saw the when what it was that Veronica became like a murderous vigilante type thing with like a bow and arrow or something like that. That was kind of like my stopping point.
Speaker 2: For Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Wild. There's like cults and multiple cults.
Speaker 2: There's a killers a Queen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it turns into like ship American horror story at some point and then like turns in say, yeah, it just turns into like EastEnders at one point. It's like very strange what's going on in that show. But if you don't want to watch it, just watch super eyepatch Wolf's video on it, because it's like, I think the video is like forty minutes long, and it is a proper descent into madness. You come out of it and you're like who, And it's because it's because like they've got like twenty writers and they're all just writing an episode in isolation and they have no rules to work on, so it's just madness constantly.
Speaker 3: You can't get over that. That is so weird to be, Like, I keep seeing stuff about Riverdale pop up about you know, how hot they all are and like us with these kids, and it's got the Zach and Cody from The Sweet Life in it all one of them, I don't know which, and then it's like, oh, yeah, then this happened, and then this person, this person, I'm like, what the hell is going on here? Who's watching this show? And yet it's so big and so popular. So I also watched Drag Me to Hell for the first time, which I wasn't as hot on. I thought, I'm not gonna spoil it, but I was like, really really disappointed with where I thought the ending was going. And then the ending changed and I was like, Okay, yes, I'm into that. I'm into that. So that was That was a good film, but I like Jennifer's Body better. And so I had had a pretty spooky weekend.
Speaker 4: Are you doing like a horror movie marathon for October or something? Are you just watching it?
Speaker 3: Just watching them? So, I mean, my my pal who I live with is back from Montreal for a bit and we've got this crossover, and it's just like, oh, do you want to watch something?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's on?
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: We haven't started Succession yet and I might save a couple of those episodes and just like watch them because I'm very, very excited for succession.
Speaker 1: I've been doing the Halloween thing a bit as well. That me and my roommate watched Candy Man.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we almost watched that.
Speaker 1: It is not good, but it's really weird because it's good for ten minutes and then there's a very noticeable like there's nothing happens in the plot or the narrative to kind of instigate it. It's like the writing falls off a cliff in a way that is a very noticeable. People stop being human and they start being like written characters in a very and like it is very nice. So because main character is yeahya Abdul Mattin, who's like an incredible actor, like very very charismatic, and then he just becomes this like like really awkward like character and you're like why you like this? And everyone around him it's like it's like in the middle of a bunch of people being killed. But after having said the words candy man into a mirror multiple times, it just keeps cutting to scenes of people going I'm gonna do it, and you're like, why why are you doing this? Why do you why? Like you you know, not to do You've there's evidence of you, like every stupid decision that you think a horror movie is gonna make a character is gonna make, they make it for any and they've got.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it's like a horror movie ever done, like like taking that concept but like modernize it where it's like, hey, everyone, we're gonna do the TikTok challenge. You'll have to go say candy Man in the your three times.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's that. There was that one show about like there was not one movie on shadow, right, Lucy, you've seen it, the one about like hosts people on a webcam. Yeah. Yeah, there's that element to it, which is like there are some of those out there. But there is one character in the movie who like, at one point looks into a scenario which is very obviously designed to get her killed and goes nope and just walks away. The smartest thing literally goes She literally goes nope and then walks it away, and me and me and Aroma are like, very good, smartest girl. The annoying thing about it is. The annoying thing about it is it's also it's so frustrating. Underneath it is a fucking incredible movie, Like underneath it it's it's it's not directed by Jordan I forgot the name of the director. The director director, Yeah, near the Costa and there's a near the and there's a lot of good She does amazing work and then Jordan Peel was involved in it as well. And underneath the bullshit is this very smart, cerebral, like well considered narrative that is just completely fucked up because it seems like multiple writers took a crack at it, and it carries on from the original Candy Man, so like all of that happened, and it explores the idea of mythology in a community, in a black community that has been victimized, abandoned, gentrified, and what the mythology of a murderous character like that kind of existing, what it does to them and why it might be necessary. And then it explores that character and those themes through Yahya Ablolom Matein's character, who is an artist. He's kind of like he at one point it seems like he was successful and did something cool and there was some acclaim to him. But now he's like fallen off a bit and he's trying to rediscover something and he learns about the myth of candy Man and becomes obsessed with it, and at the same time, like he has this kind of I don't know what the what the nepotism kind of element to it, where his girlfriend is in the art industry and obviously a lot of people see him as being someone who's only succeeding because of her. She's in a position where she can put him on. But like the idea of it does the exploration of candy Man from a socio economic and class perspective, and it's really really good, Like what where they go with it is really good, But the problem is every step of the way, like the horror tropes get in the way of that, and the horror tropes are are executed very poorly. And there's some shots that are really nice, Like there's some like really memorable moments in it, and but overall like it. When I was done, I was like, oh God, that was a bad I can't recommend it. But if you have an interest in anything, like if you have an interest in horror, if you have an interest in any of the themes that I mentioned, I would check it out. It feels like they could do another I would love to see someone who's got a stronger vision of landing what they tried to go for in this movie take another crack at it. Because the candy Man mythology is. Candy Man is one of my favorite horrors because of like horror movies, because or horror mythology is because I was really young when I watched it, and the first time I watched it, like I when I was younger, I got sick a lot. I was constantly sick, so that meant like most of the time I had like some sort of fever or something like that. And Candy Man was one of the movies that I remember watching in the midst of a real bad fever and because of that, and it was like proper fever dream shit, where like when I was watching it, it like really messed me up. That hell Raiser total recall. There's a few movies like that I have that like are like burned into my mind, and Candy Man is one of them. Because of the actor. I forgot his name, but he's he's iconic. I forgot his name.
Speaker 4: He's got that voice, yeah, yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Got an incredible voice. This is gonna annoy me unless I find out who is. But like, because because of that him his performance, it's really stuck with me, and I was sad to see that he really didn't do it justice. But I was also I'm also like, I'm glad I watched it as a fan of the original. I was Tony Todd that's his name, Yes, I was. I was happy I watched it, But I can't recommend it as a good film. I can recommend it as a film you have an academic interest in.
Speaker 7: It is that it is any film that if you have interest in like candy Man, horror, or like any of the themes like horror explored through socioeconomic class, racial boundaries, oppression, that kind of stuff, like, then there is there is value in it.
Speaker 1: Also, Tony Toddy is playing Venom.
Speaker 5: In thought there was like this thing about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah yeah. In terms of games, I've been playing Hades on stream and I kind of I'm enjoying Hades, but there's something about it that I don't It's like not sticking with me as a game.
Speaker 3: I want to stream, right, I was gonna say how far.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I think I'm near the end, but like obviously the end is is constantly being reset. I think there's four bosses in the game, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 3: I don't know if any I never finished them. Hey, I'm shit at it, even with God Model.
Speaker 1: So the last boss I beat was was on Stein and Smile.
Speaker 4: And yeah, you're on the land, You're at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's one more, but like obviously I'm right there, which is kind of compelling me to carry on playing it. But also I'm like, I don't know, there's something about it. I'm just like it's not as engaging because I think the thing is like it's the exact combination of being challenging but also demanding your attention in a way, I feel like it demands your attention more than a game a Soul's game, Yeah, because sales games have these kind of like peaks and troughs or even in the middle of combat, I can speak and try and engage, whereas with that game, you're like you're basically doing DDR with your fingers, and like it's it's so difficult to stay engaged at the same time. So I find it like a weird experience. It's like, weirdly more tiring than any other stream game that I've played. Yeah, I think I'm just going to try and get through it.
Speaker 3: But I was gonna say because I, I mean, I play a lot of video games with you, and so you know this about me, But like I really struggle to talk and play games at the same time. Like sometimes we'll just be playing Overwatch or something, and my conversation skills just go off a cliff because I just have such a limited amount of brain power. Apparently, so can either focus. Yeah, I got either focus that's towards motor controls or my mouth. And yeah, so that's another reason why. Like, but also haities, it's just it's a great I find it good, like a meditation y type thing though, because you are so focused on it that you don't really have time to think about anything else. It's fun watching you play on the stream. I wish I was on the same time zone so I could continue watching your adventure through it soon.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know whether I want to. I should probably just finish it. I think I need to do some grind runs off off stream to just like prove my character a bit more. And then obviously, like the tricky thing is, like I right now have beaten that boss, I can't confidently say I'll be able to beat that boss again because I had a very specific setup of boons and abilities and stuff like that. So if I go back into it, did you just do a lost reference? And then when I said Boone, No, there was.
Speaker 3: A bit of dust, so I kind of blew it away. But you did say boone sometimes, so it did?
Speaker 1: It did?
Speaker 3: Actually did boon loss?
Speaker 1: Isn't that okay?
Speaker 3: Boone from series one in Summer Holder?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, but that's why I've been playing, uh.
Speaker 2: Jean Luke, I have been playing the only game I've been playing anitar Bros. Tell them which we beat? Yeah, yeah, talk about it. It's so cute, it's so wholesome and just good energy, and it's like what you beat it in like four hours, which is beautiful. Love that more games like that. It feels. It feels so good to just be like, we beat the game. It's already done. We did it in like one two sittings. But yeah, I don't have much to say about that game other than just like it's adorable and cute and I really like taking pictures of animals in games, as it turns out, so big fan of that one. Otherwise, me and me and Georgia have been doing our Spooky Month Merit Halloween Marathon. This is something we've wanted to do for several years, but we've just never gotten around to it because they're lazy. So this year we're like, we're doing it. So we we hit up all our friends and we're like, give us recommendations. Friend of the show Matt Pagett got super into it and he gave me a massive list. He was so excited to give me like a list of all these horror movies, which was really sweet and this so then we like made a notion page.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, this guy has.
Speaker 2: Got like a calendar and we like put in like one for each day. We've Ah, we're halfway through the months, so we've actually watched a fair amount of stuff. We did fall off a couple of days, but I kind of go over the highlights.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: So we started off with The Shining, which I had never seen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah time, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. I liked it. Georgia didn't because she's like, yeah, I'm just not into a movie where Shelley Davalla is suffering for two hours.
Speaker 3: And I was like fair, I mean, I mean, also she was in real life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was saying, how really kind of like diminished her appreciation of the movie, And I'm like, that's absolutely fair. That woman is this I think she's start of that movie. She does fantastic job. Yeah, I mean that it's in the kind of I feel about a lot of these movies, is like none of them like are particularly scary to me. But it's just like I think the Shining is just such a like they don't make movies like that, you know, and even even then, they didn't make movies like that because that's the Stanley Cooper joint.
Speaker 3: Very sleep.
Speaker 2: I haven't, but I heard good things about it and Matt was recommended.
Speaker 3: To director is a good one. It's a Flannagan finish Midnight Mass.
Speaker 1: And Midnight Mass is fucking incredible, Like it is so good. I know a lot of people, like some people aren't as as jazzed on it, But when I was done, I was like, this is one of my favorite horror experiences in many, many years, and like some standout performances. Roll Collie who Ah is someone I know and I would consider a friend. Friend of the Show is incredible. Friend of the Show is incredible in it, like genuinely amazing. Like role is a good actor, but like in this he's and I'm playing like extra close attention to it because he plays a Muslim character, so I'm putting like extra scrutiny on it, and it is like his performance is so good. But overall like that, that whole series is incredibly strong when it comes to like horror, because it's it's not just horror. It does the thing that horror the best horror does, where it's an intersection of real life and the fantastical and the real life part of it being religion and the and the influence of it on people. I don't think it's it's a spoiler to say that, but given it's called Midnight Mass, but yeah, I highly recommend it, especially in the hot Halloween period, like if you can. And it's very bingeable despite being an hour and episode I think it's eight episodes, Like it's one of those like I have to see the next episode. I need to see what's going on here. And there are some moments which are like truly heartbreaking and got wrenching to see happen, and it's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait, is this the show that Greg Miller tweeted out about and it made him want to like buy some Muslim okay, yeah, which.
Speaker 1: Is which is music to my ears because I was like, yes, I had a child, and I was like, I'm going to turn that child into a Muslim.
Speaker 2: Here anymore, not to do anything any greg psychically will the very least he's gonna be.
Speaker 1: He's going to be and he's going to be aware of if some degree, Yeah, Uncle Tom's going to be there being like, hey kid.
Speaker 2: That's what I do want to check out because I've yeah, like i feel like I've heard enough both like polarizing opinions that it's like, Okay, I clearly need to just like see this for myself to get my own opinion, especially because we the Another thing we watched was Haunting of Hill House that we hadn't seen quite like that one a.
Speaker 3: Lot that one shot though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not entirely one shot, but but it's close and close. I mean it was a thing where I remember like hearing about it, like you know when that show came out. So I remember like halfway through that episode being like, oh, this is the best the episode with the scene the one shot.
Speaker 1: I think, I think, yeah, all Flanagan's stuff at Midnight Mass is the strongest, and we liked Hill House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we liked hill House like this. We actually tried Blind Manner last year, got two episodes in and was like this is boring and turned it off, and then like hill which made us actually like hesitant to watch Hill House because we're like, oh, I don't know. The Hillhouse was like instantly better, like way way better hook way stronger characters, so that's good to hear. Definitely want to check it out. Probably won't hit it with the rest of this month because we kind of realized we basically what we ended up doing was we were like, oh, we'll watch a movie at night and we'll also watch an episode of hill House tonight, and we're like that was a mistake. That was too much. So we've we kind of like backed off some of our like other TV plans, but uh yeah, to briefly go over the other stuff, we watched Young Frankenstein, which is very funny. I think that's probably of all of all the mel Brooks movies, I think that maybe like holds up the best in terms of just like the comedy is still good and not like got some some stuff in it that would make you go like ooh, uh, like I love I love Melbrooks, but I think, you know, like a lot of this stuff we're being hard to go back to. We watched The Ring for the first time, which was not as bad as we were expecting. I was expecting it to be a lot dumber than it was because it's like, it's two thousand and two, it's a it's an American adaption of like an Asian you know, like horror series. So I was expecting it to be real dumb.
Speaker 3: So Naomi Watts that one maybe I want to say, yes, yeah, yeah, and it's still of Abinski.
Speaker 2: It was. It was pretty solid like I thought it you know, uh was like well paced. It was like creepy and intriguing, like you know, I had like that whole series had been like memed On to death when I was like in like what middle school about around that time. So but like, weirdly enough, like I guess it's been like so far removed now that I was just kind of able to appreciate it on its own as a film, And I was like, yeah, surprisingly solid, uh, which was which was cool.
Speaker 3: Me and Jen watched it, and I think Greg was there last year or so, and so I'm kind of interested in you saying that, like stuff that has been memed on a lot, I'm really intrigued to go back and watch Black Witch.
Speaker 2: The original same thing. Yeah, yeah, are you sure you want.
Speaker 1: To do that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: The remake is like I've watched the remake in cinemas when it came at few years ago, and I did not vibe with that one. But I'm intrigued to go back to the original.
Speaker 4: M Yeah, you might not enjoy it. Like it was really novel for the time, like the idea of like, yo, this is real. They found this footage and they spliced it together. This is so spooky that this actually happened. But we've we've had that U done better since then.
Speaker 2: So yeah, going off of that, Another movie that is like Haralded is like amazing for its day, but I think does not hold up was the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. What a boring fucking movie. It's like the first hour is just these people just walking around. Nothing happens. One of them gets killed and it's over and you're like, oh, wow, okay they died, and then then it's just they're walking around now and then nothing happens, and then they die and then like it's not until the last thirty minutes that the movie actually gets a little more interesting because that's like when the main girl gets kidnapped and there's the whole like family dynamic and the cannibalism and like all the stuff that I was like, ah, yes, Resident Evil seven, I have seen this, this is where all of this comes from. And it's like that was more interesting, but more in a like oh okay, I can see the influences that other things that have taken and done better, But as an actual movie, I was like, well, this is just it's pretty dull to be to be honest. But thinking about it, I was like, yeah, this must have been like shocking in the well was there like seventies.
Speaker 3: Seventies yeah, like I was looking at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This is like the almost like the uh, the the seed of found footage movies in the way that it hit the the mainstream because people thought they should.
Speaker 2: Was well apparently they like they lied to people and said like in the marketing based on a true story, real events, and it's like, no, it's not at all, I don't lie sound and hold.
Speaker 1: Up anything else.
Speaker 2: We saw Psycho, which I did think held up. I thought Psycho was fantastic, just really well, like pacede and creepy what's his name who plays? Uh, Norman was fantastic. Oh, I forget the actor's name, but uh, he's he's really good Norman Baits. Yeah, I forget the actor's name, but he's really good. Apparently he's really good in all the sequels to you, I kind of want to see them now. But I I was like, Wow, this holds up really well, and and uh, it was like a lot fun to watch it. No, because you know, you know the twist, like everyone knows what happens in Psycho, but it's like it was kind of fun to watch it like and imagine not knowing what it is. And I was like, Wow, this movie actually does a really good job of like making you think this is what's happening and then like pulls the rug under under you from the end. So I was like ooh, Like thinking about it, this would be one of those movies that if I could go back and be like, if I could watch a movie when it came out without having any knowledge of it, I think the original Sticho would be one of them because uh yeah, I really really liked it. And then last one I'll quickly recommend was Trained to Busan, which is, oh, hell yeah, so fucking good.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 4: Wonder why Hollywood is trying to bastardize it. I'm like, this movie is fine.
Speaker 2: It's fine as it is. Yeah, Korean Korean zombie movie. I love, love, love love zombie media. I was on like a huge kick on that back in like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, and I think this absolutely stands up there with like best of the best, with like you know, the original, like Night and Day, Living Dead with twenty eight Days Later, like this, this. If you are a fan of the zombie genre, this is like required viewing. It's so good, and it's also really sad, as all zombie media is. Like I kind of it's been a while since I watched a zombie thing, so like all these other movies are like very good, but you know, you're not really sad about them. It's just like, oh, I'm scared, and then like the movie's over. I forgot that. Like every zombie movie, at the end, you just kind of sit there for like an hour and you're just like, I'm depressed now.
Speaker 3: Because what is my zombie plan?
Speaker 2: What is my zombie plan? How would I feel if I had to do that to my family member? Oh? God? And then you, I mean yet the.
Speaker 3: End of the I mean it's not really zombies, but the end of the Mist I think is one of the most affecting horror media because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it invokes a lot of the same like feelings of just like being trapped and you know, then it's like, who's the real monster? Spoiler alert, it's man, Man, it's the monster.
Speaker 3: Turns out it's man.
Speaker 1: Have you seen have you seen One of the Dead?
Speaker 2: No, Matt really recommended that one to me though, he said that was really Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a Japanese movie and it's I think that because it's more comedy. It's not, but it's meant to be. Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was highly recommending that Possessor two. Possessor is so good. It's by Cronenberg's son, Yeah, Brandon Cronenberg junior. Brandon Cronberg is very very good. It it like made me feel so uneasy, like there were bugs under my skin. That's that's how you know it's a good film.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, sorry, I have to say one more, I've never seen any of these movies, so I finally got to experience for the first time Saw, which.
Speaker 3: Have you have you seen The Princess Bride?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, So it took me ever, It took me forever to realize it. I was like, who is this? I know this guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just oh my god. I remember watching that for the first time and just seeing my childhood fall away is good. First of all, is good selling n f T s now so I'm not so good.
Speaker 2: Oh that's that's no good.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: The official account, it's like they're doing.
Speaker 2: N f T s of the well James one is not I guess involved in that anymore, which is Yeah, it was actually weird. We last night we watched The Conjuring, So it's weird to go from like one James wand to another and like see the progression. The thing about Saw is because again I have all my conceptions like what Saw is because I'm just of media and I'm like, ah, it's like really gross and gnarly, and that first movie one is not as gross and gnarly as I thought. And that's probably because they get more gross and gnarly. I'm assuming like later like, oh yeah, like a lot of it's more implied in the first one. I'm not to say it isn't gnarly, like there's still gnarly stuff that happens, but it was a lot more reserved, and I want to say like seventy percent of the movie fell actually like pretty classy horror, where it's like, ooh, you're really trying to build an atmosphere and be creepy and have like good stuff, and then they just throw in these random shots where the camera does like a matrix three sixty spin and then the woman's like shaking and it like they beat it up by five hundred percent, and then this butt rock starts playing and I was like, what the like the toe they like James Want's like you all this tone, I'm gonna take it. I'm gonna throw it out the fucking window and it's gone.
Speaker 3: Now let's get to keep you on your toes.
Speaker 2: And I was just it was baffling, and it felt it felt so extremely like of that era, because I'm like when Saw come out, I was like, I was like two thousand and three. I was like, okay, that yeah, that guy like this is that was kind of what I was expecting Ring to be like was like a little more stupid and like Saw, it was like we want to be cool, but we couldn't help ourselves. We had to be like two thousand and three cool, which is like so lame now in twenty twenty one, but in like a fun way, Like I had a really fun time watching it, and I actually I was like, you know what, I kind of want to watch the rest of these now because I did. I did really enjoy my time. Like they're despite like how like gruesome of a reputation they have. I think they are extra dreamely like entertaining and watchable films, and like I totally get like why it as a franchise like exploded and they made like fucking ten of them or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anything else that you would recommend from that on that list? This is this is a Halloween speaker.
Speaker 2: Quite enjoyed Happy Death Day. We watched that one too. That was a lot of fun. Happy Death Day is just a lot of fun. Uh.
Speaker 1: In terms in terms of games, I was thinking I would recommend this is a good opportunity to plug it devotion.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that is on our list, especially because it's so you can beat it in like a sitting or two. Right, It's like, that's why I did.
Speaker 1: I did it in one setting. It's like four or five hours long. That is being the Red Candle Games title that was pulled off Steam after a reference to the Chinese political figure being Winnie the Pooh is something that people in the country have been doing as like a form of dissent and mockery. But it got pulled off various online platforms, and then it reappeared on Red Candle's own website where you can download it entirely DRM free and you support I think you can buy it with in a pack with detention their previous game. So I played through both of those games this year and devotion is fantastic, Like it's genuinely so good.
Speaker 3: I've got it.
Speaker 4: I wish I could have I wish I could have fought for it in twenty nineteen for top ten, but it got pulled like within a week and a half of its release, Like no one else has played this coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is spectacular. It is also like one of those games where if you, if you like, want to do Halloween activities with your partner or a you know, a roommate or something. It does genuinely benefit from, like crowd around the computer and one person plays, because it kind of sucks you in, so before you even know it, like you're both or multiple people can. You're basically watching it in a movie and it's like an interactive enthralling experience and you get to there are like very light puzzles that I could see people being like check that thing, check that thing. And there's open to things that are open to interpretation for a little while as well, So it kind of enables a bit of theory crafting to begin with. But overall like really good mood, really good vibe, and by good bad because it's halloweeny, and then like it takes some unexpected turns and yeah it's good. It's it's super cheap as well, and you'd be supporting a developer that is gone through some share it's playing out good games. Yeah. Any other final recommendations before we finish up.
Speaker 2: No, but just to kind of give a preview for what maybe talk about next week if people want to hear more. We're going to watch Halloween. We're gonna watch the vv itch uh, the vich re Animator. Ginger snaps Poltergeist.
Speaker 4: Posts, ooh, Ginger snaps.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Hereditary?
Speaker 2: I've seen Hereditary? Did I see it? I saw it in theaters? Were you yeah? Yeah? Yeah, I that's a good movie. I don't know if I could watch it.
Speaker 3: Very stressful.
Speaker 2: It's really stressful. And I was like very of French of Georgia about like, yeah, you probably would like not have a good time.
Speaker 1: She she just.
Speaker 2: Doesn't like things where it's just like people are just sad, so like she can't watch like Twin Peaks because half of the Twin Peaks is just like people crying about, like you know, Laura Palmer instead, and she's like, I can't watch this. And I was like, you shouldn't watch Hereditary because it's just it's just people being very fair, very sad. It's a good movie.
Speaker 3: It's a great movie. I just I just want to remember Kurt done a very very good list of scary games to play. And I'm not gonna say much about video because it's not just a listicle. He's done some wacky shit with it, based around one of the games that he talks about, sink Yway. Right now, if you guys want to watch it, it's going up today, So if you're listening to this on Friday, will be up very good. It's very very good. He's done some little cool edit tricks and it's made me scared in my own home because of how good the video is. And I'm very excited to play the game that he's banging on about in it. But I'll leave that as a mystery and we'll talk about it next week.
Speaker 1: We will talk about it next week. Because this is the end of today's podcast. We are once again for going the male section, just because, as we talked about last week, we're on extremely tight deadlines right now, and that means an time zones, and that means that a podcast is generally shorter than we'd ordinarily like to. But hopefully we'll be getting back to the longer media podcast with a little more segments soon once we're all back on the same time zone and can actually talk at length about the things that we're doing. So I apologize again. But in the meantime, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Jean, look can find me where you are at Chilick Psyche. I'm making video about redacted, but again you'll know what it is. You could just go to our YouTube channel and you'll know exactly what the game is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lucy, where you're at.
Speaker 3: I'm on Twitter and Twitch at Lucy James Games. I also made a little video about redacted, but I think my video's going up on Monday now. Also, for the twentieth anniversary of G two three, I've been working on her big old History of GTA Games with Richards and that should be going up on today to celebrate because it's been t years since gt A three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jordan, what about you?
Speaker 4: You can find me on Twitter at j m or May. I do not have a video about redacted, but I'll have an article going up about redacted slacker.
Speaker 3: We can turn that into a video.
Speaker 1: I mean it is going to get turned into a video.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I'm like, maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't know the logic that we use for these things.
Speaker 1: I am on, I am on, I'm on. I'm on Twitter as a Tomi H and on Twitch as tomorrow H and I am working on Redacted. Also, am I working on I'm doing something.
Speaker 3: We're doing stuff reaction we.
Speaker 1: W Yeah, I'm doing a bunch of things.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy that we got enough codes that we're all doing and stuff unredacted. You know, nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes a charge. We'll see you next week by