Speaker 1: Are right.
Speaker 2: Let's get started with the Minnesota good Bye. Got a lot of emails to get to, a lot of fun stuff, and we're gonna start off with one of our favorite contributors to the Minnesota Goodbye. That would be Juanita. Okay, and here comes Jannita's rent. Let me push all the right buttons and make this happen. We never screened these in advance. We never know what one is going to rant about. So let's see what she's up to today.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, all right, So this week's rent is about people who want you to validate their ugly ass baby. So a coworker had just recently had had our baby, and she wanted everybody to come down and see the baby instead of just sending us a picture. So we all bought baby gifts and went down to the hospital to go see the baby. So the nurse walks in and with the baby, and everybody had that look on their face like somebody had just farted but their fake ass has still just stood there. It was like, oh my god, that he is so adorable. He is so cute. He's as cute as a button. Bitch. If you got any piece of clothing in your closet that got a button on it that looks like that baby. You need to throw that shit in the garbage. Literally looked like she just gave birth to Benjamin button. That baby looked old, looked like he already got a well established IRA and a pension. But I know that I'm blunt and I tell the truth. But I'm not gonna sit there and say your baby's ugly. I just didn't say anything, and she kind of caught on that I was being really quiet, and she said, oh, Anita, you just said anything. You must think my baby's ugly. I almost said, no, I don't think your baby's ugly. But then I noticed that there was a whole bunch of pigeons outside the window. I'm like, God, that's a lot of pigeons outside, and so everybody turned their attention to the pigeon. So I kind of got me off the hook. But goddamn it, that baby was ugly. Jesus, Well, that's my ride for this week. I'll talk to you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Love you bye awh, Nita, that baby sounds adorable. Ugly little man looking.
Speaker 3: Baby Wanita and Steve Let's heart would be best friends because when my niece was born, Steve said that she looked like George W.
Speaker 4: I remember that.
Speaker 3: He would put fucking side by side of my niece and George W. Next to each other and be like, look at the similarities. And then when I'd go home to visit, he'd be like, how is George W. Doing? She grew up, grew intil she's six years old. Now she's so adorable. But she did look like an old white man, he really did.
Speaker 2: I you know, I agree with you, Wannita. Some babies are not very attractive, but even in there it's like a pug. Yeah, pugs are ugly as fuck. They really are. People go oh, pugs are so cute. No they're not. They are one ugly ass breed of dog. But at the same time they're a little pug creature. Okay, oh all right, next one. Thank you. Jannita Sidney, regular staff writer, writes in this topic has come up about dance bombs and sports parents, and I got stories for both because we were talking about how to come up yesterday like taking her kids to like weekend long hockey tournaments and yes, like.
Speaker 5: Show parents or it was because you were telling that story about the parents that wanted their kid to be a pilot so badly, and then the girl drove the plane into the ground during a story.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, so that's what where like, she was a pilot, but it was probably for the happiness of her parents, not her.
Speaker 4: So then we talked about show parents.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she goes on to say Number one, my friend and I took a trip to Nashville and I and unexpectedly got a hotel that had a dance competition going on. This was not idea when we were hung over in the elevator in the morning, having to smell the hairspring and listen little girls crying while they were playing Baby Shark on Blast. It's funny story now, but it was not desirable in the moment. Okay, another one. I grew up playing hockey, and I loved the weekend tournaments across the state or the early and late practices. I can't imagine how my single mom juggled at all, but I'm so glad she did. I literally dream of hockey tournament weekends with my two boys two years old and one month old, but my husband is not as excited about the idea. However, he was also an athlete. So we still wants our kids to play sports, but would prefer a lighter commitment sport than hockey. I guess we'll see what our kids want to do, but we will absolutely try to persuade them into sports no matter what, since we enjoyed them as well. Thanks for being great. Cheers from Sydney. Any thoughts on this.
Speaker 4: I her son plays hockey and he's too.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, she's looking forward to that happening.
Speaker 4: Forward to it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I will say hockey is not only time commitment, but it's probably the most expensive sport you can.
Speaker 4: Get involved in. Hoo.
Speaker 3: I mean we I was on traveling soccer teams, played high school all that stuff, But the only thing I ever did was one trip actually up to the Twin Cities where we had a tournament in like Bloomington or something, and that I came from a poor family that I almost didn't get to go because my parents couldn't afford it, and they talked to like my best friend's mom and they brought me with so that I could just like stay, and I think my parents gave them a little bit of money for the hotel, but I almost didn't get to go because it was so expensive. So I can't imagine having to do that every single weekend. However, as the person who played soccer, I loved every second of it. I loved traveling with a team. I love being in a different city. So I don't know. I also was like her where I grew up, and I wish I would have been in more tournaments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't know. We weren't from an athletic family. We kind of mentioned that before. Allison was the first person in my mom and dad, all of my siblings, my brother, and me to ever wear a jersey that had her name on the back of it, like our last name. And I was so proud of that because she was in volleyball for Chaska and she didn't play a lot. She was, you know, she was not aggressive, so she didn't play a lot. But it was cool because we got to see the name Kibbler on the back of her jersey. It was like, Alison, turn around, I want to get a picture of that that I'll stop out it have it. Do you think that most what I noticed about a lot of radio people is they grew up without a lot of money. Do you think there's a connection between growing up without a lot of money and then being in radio.
Speaker 5: I think it's growing up without a lot of money and having personality. And isn't that part of radio it's having personality?
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's when you don't have a lot of money, you have to compensate somehow by having a lot of personality.
Speaker 2: Did you were you bothered by the fact that you didn't have a lot of money when.
Speaker 4: You were a kid, No, because it didn't occur to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't ocur to me either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was so bothered by it, really, I mean, all of my friends were rich, and like I was in that like stereotypical bubble of like the jocks and smart kids who had like wealthy parents. So I was super embarrassed. I'll never forget. My best friend through me a surprise party, and it was at like in the basement of my mom's house, which has like the ugliest still does to this day, orange carpet, hideous furniture, and I was like genuinely embarrassed because all the rich jocks at my house and I hated it. I hated it so much and I hate looking back at that now that I was like that because I still had a really good life even though we didn't have a ton of money. But I felt really out of it when I was working constantly since I was like thirteen, and none of my friends ever had to have jobs. Pretty much mom and dad paid for everything. It was like pulling teeth for me to get new clothes, where my friends had like fucking an entire walk in closet of a wardrobe.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't grow up and we didn't have a lot of money, but we were not impoverished by any means. We had enough. We had enough. We had like cars that broke down quite frequently, and we didn't have a big, beautiful as big but it was not a big, beautiful house. And we wore hand me downs, were closed from Kmart.
Speaker 4: So never a lot of hand me downs, a lot of Kmart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, never really bothered me, I think if that's what you're used to, but you were definitely aware of it because you probably had the rich fringe to compare it to. All my friends were also a little bit poor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my friends were also just weird, so they weren't necessarily like poor. They were just weird. But then if I had friends I did have money, I'd go over their house and be like, wow, this is nice. And we would always just go to my friend's house. We would never go to my house. Never once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: The reason we didn't go to my house because there wasn't a lot to do. But my friend Scott had a pool table and a ping pong table.
Speaker 4: Ooh nice.
Speaker 2: And he had a basement where his mom and dad never came down, so we could smoke, swish or sweets and drink wow in the basement. Yeah. Cindy writes in Hello, my favorite morning show crew, I'm listening to yesterday's show, and you asked what should be brought back? Somebody said full service gas stations. I got to tell you there is one in my hometown of Malacca, Malacca, Malacca. Yeah, it's called Big J's. It's so nice to be able to stare in your warm car. They fill up your fluids and things of that nature too. Shout out Big Jay's. Love y'all from Cindy, Malaca, Malacca.
Speaker 4: Yeah, up north, it's like towards Saint Cloud.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it, I just never remember how to say it. Okay, next one says don't say my name. I'm writing about Tuesday's Minnesota Goodbye. Regarding being a dance mom, my monthly dance bill is a similar dollar amount to that of a mortgage payment. Wa If my daughters do not want to be in competitive dance, they both know they can tell me because I don't want to throw money out the window. My daughters both love being at the dance studio. Though growing up, I wanted to do competitive dance like my friends, but my parents were not as dedicated to being dance parents. I am so happy to be able to let my daughters do what they love and I get to enjoy being a dance mom with my cool dance mom friends. Shout out to them. But again, I would not pay tons of money and make them do a sport if they didn't want to do it. That would just be silly.
Speaker 4: I think the.
Speaker 5: Thing with some sports for me is that they so many of them seem to require the parents to also be at dedicated to it as the kid is, because I know, like how we got on it was like, oh, the parents care more and then they're making their kids do it. But like for dance or hockey or whatever, like any traveling the parents, their time is also spent bringing you to those places. They have to sit through the entire game, all of that jazz versus like an activity where the student picks it for themselves and can be like on their own in that activity. Those are the ones that I think are like if you don't have to be there as the parent, Like, that's what I want to put my money towards. Like, Hey, this kid is gonna go be independent, go to this thing on their own if they can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't know. Sports are weird to me.
Speaker 5: I guess I never did sports, so but like my mom would never go to anything that I was involved in unless like because she didn't have to.
Speaker 4: It was my choice.
Speaker 5: So I would show up for rehearsals or I would get She would just have to bring me to the bus in the morning for speech tournaments.
Speaker 4: But then I would go on my own. No one shows up.
Speaker 2: And one more on the minist to Goodbye, Let's see what we got here. The other day on the Minnesota Goodbye, you guys were talking about being constantly on the go with kids' activities. We still are that used to be me. We have seven children, blended and adopted and a couple of years ago, we were on the go twenty four to seven with their activities. They each had to choose an individual activity in a team sport. I spent all of my waking hours in the car. We had karate, Brazilian jiu jitsu, swimming, gymnastics, baseball, equestrian, piano, theater, figure skating, hockey, ballet, and competitive cheer. Those were just the out of school activities. We were eating out all the time, and our only time together seemed to be in the car. We'd all get home exhausted every night. I did a lot of soul searching and decided to stop the madness. We moved out of the city to a tiny little town. The kids only participate in school activities. Now we don't allow more than one at a time, and no traveling sports. It has completely changed our lives for the better. I highly recommend slowing down and putting family first. It is a us to reconnect. I was raised with the brief with the belief idleness was laziness, and my siblings and I were always in several activities, so I unconsciously passed that on to my children. I just want parents to know there is another way, and it's glorious. I can't imagine the insanity of having that much to do.
Speaker 4: I know, I mean, streuss the me out just hearing about it.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous. It's like I to me, common sense tells us that you can't have your kids in so many activities as your only time together is in the car. Yeah, and you're eating out all the time. I know you're trying to give your kids, you know, like a good childhood.
Speaker 4: Rounded life. Yeah, but that's just too much.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's kind of like too much exercise.
Speaker 6: Unless they're all in the same exact thing, but that will likely never happen.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, that's just a lot. I'd say, like prioritize, pick your favorite.
Speaker 6: And I like that you say just school activities because then that kind of goes to what I was saying, like as if they can do it through school, great, but if you have to like be a part of it, that takes up all your time.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, well you get to drive them back and forth. Yes, it's at school, like after school. Dave, Jenny Bailey and Vontivier there too. What are your thoughts on kids scheduling? Do you think kids are overburdened with expectations to perform. Yes, I think it probably is part of the mental health problems with kids when they are they're going to be in jiu jitsu and karate, and they're going to be in you know, soccer and rushing. Anyone, whether they're seven or seventeen or twenty to seven, you gotta have some mental breaks here and there.
Speaker 6: And not just that, but like I think of because I work in a high school now as a side gig, and the amount of kids that I know who take multiple AP classes at any given time is bonkers to me. When I was in tenth grade, you could take one AP class and it was AP biology and that was the only class.
Speaker 4: You could take.
Speaker 6: No AP classes as a freshman and only one as a sophomore. And now you can take like four different AP classes as a freshman, all at the same time. And that's wow, so much work, and like they all want to take every single AP class and they want to take all of those like high level advanced classes and be in every single activity, and so yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is those kids are probably going to be uber success burnout health and those of the kids will be able to pay off their college loans and buy a house. But I mean it kind of almost shows that that's kind of what you got to do to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that your school allowed them to take classes at early because I don't think they allowed us until like junior or senior year the same, Yeah, I think, and honestly was senior year because I mean I took two AP classes my senior year, but I would have taken more if I could have earlier.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, And they just take them even if they're not good at the subject, Like I only took AP classes if I was good at the subject, so I took like AP English, AP Spanish, AP Psychology. I would never take AP like math or science or anything. And they just take every single AP classes allowed.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I don't even know what AP means for sure. I think it means a placement, okay, I thought so Okay, Also, do you feel it's getting it's the do you get the feeling is for parents bragging rights? One hundred percent? I think sometimes you got to ask yourself, would you do this if nobody knew it? In other words, would you eat okay, kale if nobody knew it. Would you get sushi if you couldn't show off that you got sushi? Would you go to Bonnaroo if you couldn't tell people you went to Bonnaroo? Would you go to What's the Big One Coachella? Coachella? Yeah, if you couldn't tell anybody? And I think that sometimes that's kind of a yardstick. Would I tell what I enjoy doing is if I couldn't tell anybody? Would I enjoy going to the gym? If I couldn't tell anybody? I mean, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I also think that you discover new things because people tell you about things. I would have never known a single thing about camber Van life if it wasn't for following a bunch of people on TikTok and Instagram. Yeah. And would I still do it if I didn't post about it? Absolutely? Because I love it. I love everything about it.
Speaker 2: I get it. That is an email that is concluded with all right, and that is from Emily. Emily, thank you so much for being on the Minnesota Goodbye. Thanks for sending your emails in We need more emails because we're running a little bit short. Send those into Ryan's show. At KDWB dot com. Thank you