Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's your cup of coffee that you forgot about. So it's lukewarm. But if you add more coffee to warm it up, you're gonna have dat Moore creamer. And then you're gonna have a full cup of coffee that's Jewish coffee. But you do it anyway. Alleyword back with a special episode of Ologies. I want to do this one for a year, and I put it off, and guess what bonus, I now have more material for it. Nice holiday shopping. It's tough, but you know what's fun to buy is books. Why get something plastic that's gonna end up in garbage down when you can get wisdom and a humor and history and potentially a better life in a book. So so many ologists are also authors, and they have just poured their souls and their brains into amazing books. And so consider this episode kind of like an audio catalog, just full of tidbits and previews and some special selections, so you can get the gist of their books and then get their books. And links are going to be up at Alleyward dot com slash ologies, slash bookworm, and and you can give maybe get one for yourself or a loved one or an officemate, or an in law or a stranger. But their books are so good, and I thought I would put together a compilation that's kind of like an audiobook mixtape. Does that make sense? Okay, let's do it. But before we bookworm a few thanks to all the folks on Patreon dot com slash ologies who support the show. Thank you to everyone wearing and buying Ologies merch from ologiesmarch dot com. Thank you to everyone who subscribes and rates, and of course who reviews the show. You know, I gingerly creep it and I pick a new one each week, such as this week's from Ben Rox, who says, after an old man in a national park told me that he tries to be boggled at least three times a day. I've been seeking how to get my fix of amazement, joy, and most of all, hope. This podcast has me thoroughly inspired and jazzed about life. I'm now looking into grad school options. The only problem is that Ologies has expanded my interests exponentially, so I need to decide what to go for. Thank you, Ben Rocks. A daily triple boggle. What a goal to have. Let's all adopt that goal. I'm into it. Okay. Books. So not only is this episode a trip down literary lane, but also if you haven't listened to some of these ologists, this is a great intro into the work. Go back and listen to their episodes. So, without any further yammering from old Dad word, let's get you some bookage in your ears and your brains. Settle in for a story hour with this special episode of book wormery of various author ologists. Okay, so this episode it's originally airing this is December. We're in December, and earlier this summer we had on architect and cabinologist Dale Mulfinger. Oh I love him. And now that it's cozy and snowy in the Northern Hemisphere, at least, let's hear an excerpt from the book Cabinology, a Handbook to your Private Hideaway, which is Taunton Press, published two thousand and eight. You're gonna feel hooga as hell, You're gonna get cozy as amfo. You ready, Okay? He writes, this book of all things cabin will help you mold your dreams into the reality of that glowing fireplace and that pre dawn aroma of freshly brewed coffee into the pitter patter of your loved one just rousing overhead in the loft. He writes, in the early nineteen sixties, I went with a college pal to his parents' cabin in northern Minnesota. I didn't note at the time, but that's when I became a cabinologist. I was a prairie farm boy who knew something about nature, weather, and the seasons. But when I visited that cabin on Lake Vermilion, my eyes were opened to some of nature's finer points. You know what I mean. The way the night sky out there is ridiculously bright with stars, the deep quiet of the woods before anybody else's up, the smell of wood smoke, the startling tug of a fish on a line. For me, that tripper a new world. All the images, feelings, experiences of cabin life sank in deep and never left me. I was hooked, and I wanted a cabin of my own. I'm an architect in Minnesota, he writes, where if you're nuts for cabins, there are worse jobs to have and less advantageous places to live. Years ago, not long out of school, I designed and built a cabin for my young family, just an hour from our Minneapolis home. It was simple and practical and not much more than a screened in sleeping porch in the woods without a house attached. But it let us get away from the traffic and television for a weekend or for a week and lives simply or simply live. It wasn't the tiny cabin, but nature weather the seasons at least spring, summer, and fall. When we used it, that drew us out there. Covered from the rain. We read to each other and played checkers under the rattling roof. When the sun came out, we hunted mushrooms and scanned the poplars for chickadees and wax wings. We went to bed early and got up early. It was a treat. About the same time, I designed my first cabin for a clock. It was larger, more complicated, and better equipped than mine. But it taught me that, unlike a lot of city houses, it's rare for any two cabins to be quite the same. Since then, I've designed more than fifty cabins, cottages, lodges, and camps. That's something else I learned. What you call a cabin depends on where in this country you live, and I, as I write this, have several more on the drawing board. Safe to say, I'm hooked on cabins as I was forty years ago, he writes. My objective is to get you from here your dream to there, an actual cabin. I'll share the lessons I've learned while designing, building and hanging out in cabins all over. When you're finished with this book, you can get started on the real thing. Or maybe the dream will have to remain a dream for a while until your kids finish college or you win the lottery. That's okay too, I'm ready when you are. So that is cabinology is the name of the book by cabinologist Dale Mulfinger. So now that you're all cozy, let's hear what doctor Chris Winter of the twenty eighteen two part sum Knowlogy episode on sleep has to say. Here's an excerpt from his book The Sleep Solution, Why Your Sleep Is Broken and How to Fix It, which was published by Berkeley in twenty seventeen. In it, he writes, according to researcher Raymond Rosen, most physicians have received less than two hours of training about the entire field of sleep in their four years of medical education. Minhei Toyota rescue and sleep specialist Ronald Sherman's research from two thousand and seven revealed sleep is dramatically underrepresented in medical school textbooks. Given that our psychiatry lecture about men who fantasize about their wives footwear lasted thirty minutes, you can see just how dramatically underrepresented the whole of sleep medicine was in our curriculum, again, less than two hours training in their entire four years. So despite what's often minimal education about sleep medicine, it's among the most common problems physicians are asked to address. To criticize a primary care doctor for failing to treat sleep difficulties effectively, as like being upset at a pathologist for a difficult labor and delivery. It's not her job. So what can you do? Get smart and quit getting your sleep information from Cosmo, from sleep books that make a simple subject complicated, and from your next door neighbor. It's time for you to stop complaining about your poor night's sleep and throw your misconceptions about sleep out the window. You can understand sleep and why yours ain't working, So gather up, you're over the counter sleep aids and toss him down. The drain school is about to begin. So if you want to get that book and fix your sleep, or get it as a gift for someone who struggles with snoozing, put The Sleep Solution by Chris Winters on your gift list. Now you can raise a glass to good sleep, even though booze doesn't help you sleep. You're gonna learn that in his book. But okay, how about mixology. The mixology episodologist Matthew bien Canalo talked about his own kind of origin story as a cocktail wizard, and this excerpt is from his book Eat Your Drink Culinary Cocktails that was put out in twenty sixteen by d Street Books. He's also about to release a new book called Oma Cocktail, and I will link that and the episode notes as well. But this is from his first book, Eat Your Drink. He writes, I grew up with an alcoholic mother, and alcohol became a very negative and painful experience for me. I associated it with the ultimate path of destruction and being behind a bar was the last place I thought I'd find myself. So a year and a half into mixing cocktails and witnessing the effect I was having on the guests, I understood that I was slowly one drink at a time, rescripting my relationship with alcohol, making it something that was beautiful and fresh and needing to be savored. And through this repetition, I intentionally was able to heal my wounds, freeing myself to dive even deeper into my craft. My favorite thing to hear from customers is not that this is the best drink they have ever had, but that they have never had anything like it before. And I hope this book can shatter this myth of mixology a little bit. A lot of my work can look intimidating for the home bartender to do, but my drinks actually follow a simple formula. The true art and passion come from the individual's choice of ingredients. It is a passion that's reignited every time I stroll the farmer's market or encounter a guest for the first time. Very lucky to be around the greatest markets in the world, which consistently surprised me with each season and allow me to stretch my imagination in ways I didn't even think were possible. I hope this book inspires you as much as writing it has inspired me. And again that is mixologist Matthew bian Canello from Eat Your Drink Culinary Cocktails and his new one out is Oma Cocktail. So Matthew's book makes you thirsty and also hungry. Maybe you can drink some rum out of a pumpkin, or just some water. You gotta keep hydrated. What else can you do with a pumpkin? Well, let's ask cu Cure Patology guest and Copeland. Oh and Copeland. Oh, I love her so much. She loves freakin' pumpkins to her core. And after her episode Cucurebatology aired this past October, her self published book Pumpkin Pumpkin Folklore, History, Planting Hints, and Good Eating shot up to the top ten of the cooking books on Amazon. It made me so happy. So if you're making a pumpkin pie or a stew, or you just want to hug a pumpkin with your whole heart, get all up in her book Pumpkin Pumpkin. I'm going to read you an excerpt from the introduction, Oh, she's the cutest person alive. It reads, Driving along a back road in Virginia, one bright October Day many years ago, with a good friend, I suddenly said, pumpkins. We're coming to pumpkins. My friend seemed confused, because I really wasn't familiar with that part of Virginia at all. I had never been there before. But as we rounded a curve there was a great field of large, golden pumpkins. I guess I've always had a special affinity for pumpkins. Pumpkin season has always been more than a time to dawn masks, carved jack o' lanterns, and put out treats for tricksters. It is a season that, in my mind, lasts long beyond the last pumpkin pie of Thanksgiving. The season of the pumpkin is something of a paradox. At a time when many growing things are resting and bear, the pumpkin is at its peak of abundance under the autumn sun. Each year, the selecting of the pumpkin has been one of my special adventures. I never know until I see the just write pumpkin what its characteristics will be. A good pumpkin, I have determined over the years, must always have at least one slight flaw in its otherwise perfect complexion. This much I know each year, although what the flaw will be remains a mystery until I see it. Also, a pumpkin is a berry, so listen to Cucurebatology episode for more on that. It'll blow your gourd. Hey, have you ever grown a pumpkin or had one, maybe on your cabin porch, and you wondered what was gnawing on it while you were sleeping in after a nightcap? Well, if you live in southern California or you know of someone who does, get this next book. It's called Wild La Explore the Amazing Nature in and Around Los Angeles. It's put out by Timber Press, just put out this year, twenty nineteen, and it's co written by Entomology episode guest Leela m. Higgins. Also Greg Polly, Jason Goldman, and Charles Hood all contributed. They all work with my beloved favorite museum that I've host, Museum in La County. And this book, Wild La needs to be on every shelf in every La home. It details all the flora and fauna in a city most people do not know is recognized as a biodiversity hotspot, one of the few in the world. It's also just a gorgeous book. It's so handy, so many beautiful pictures. It's great when you want to know what that flower or lizard or bug is. City wildlife, you guys, it exists. Here's an excerpt from that book, written in part by Lenla Higgins, entomologist. Los Angeles is full of nature. When Miguel Ordinana was little, he loved going to the University of Southern California football games with his mom, Adelia. He cheered for the Trojans and dream about becoming a football star. That dream changed eventually into becoming a wildlife biologist, but he still likes watching games. In the twenty fifteen season opener, he sat with his mom and two little brothers, the whole family rooting for the Trojans to beat the Arkansas State Red Wolves. For more on red Wolves see the Lupinology episode side note.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: During the game, Miguel's thirteen year old brother Aaron, spotted a creature flitting above their heads in the night sky. Miguel bat. He yelled, shifting his attention from the field to the sky. Miguel looked up and spot at the bat then another and another. They were swooping and arcing in front of the stadium's massive lights. Hunting bats love to eat moths, and because these testy bugs are attracted to light, all a hungry bat needs to do is hang out near a bright spotlight and wait for dinner. Miguel was prepared for moments like this. He pulled a bat detector from his pocket, plugged it into his iPhone, and waited to see if it could pick up bat sounds over the screaming fans. Miguel's bat detector contains a miniature microphone tuned to the frequency's bats used to echo locate, and because each type of bat makes different calls, scientists can use recordings of the calls to figure out which species made them. Back in his office at the Natural History Museum, Miguel used special software to analyze the one hundred and five bat sounds he recorded during the game. Half came from just one species, the Mexican freetailed bat. Los Angeles County is home to at least twenty different bat species. Most prefer more undisturbed areas like Griffith Park or the Santa Monica Mountains, but the Mexican freetailed bat is really good at adapting to the big city. It can make a home for itself by roosting inside man made structures instead of caves. Before twenty thirteen, nobody realized that freetailed bats spent time near Exposition Park, But thanks to Michel and his brother, we now have a better understanding of how these animals interact with our city. The bats at the football game are a good reminder that wildlife can be found anywhere. There's no line where nature stops and city begins. Nature can be found under your sofa where an alligator lizard has snuck in and cornered a cricket, or in the potted plant on your balcony where Lady bug Larva showed down on aphids, or in the park down the street where a Cooper's Hawk turns a pigeon into breakfast. Gaze down on the landscape from above and you'll notice Los Angeles is more than just paved roads and manicured lawns. It's a patchwork of tame and why old spaces, rugged mountains give way to carefully groomed beaches, and surging rivers are enclosed by tons of concrete. Oak trees hundreds of years old rest beside newly laid soccer fields. As you'll see, it's not just bats who find a way to thrive in this patchwork landscape. Of course, we're going to hear more from chiropterologist Merlin Tuttle, but that was an excerpt from Wild La. Now what about snakes? Do you hate them? Do you know somebody who hates them? Do you love and respect them? As doctor David Stein does enough to write an entire book about them so charmingly, gruff dryly hilarious. You know doctor David Stein from Twitter as alongside wild and from the Herpetology episode, and perhaps from his brand new book Secrets of Snakes The Science Behind the Myths I'm a Snag, which was put out by Texas A and M University Press. The first edition just came out in late September, so it's brand new. And I emailed him asking for his favorite excerpt, and he wrote back he recommended that I read you the dedication, which goes, there are tons of danger noodles, nope ropes and long boys throughout our streams, our forests, and our backyards. They silently live alongside us every day, but could not care less about what we think. This book is dedicated to all the people wanting to learn more about them anyway. In these pages, I've tried to answer the most common questions about snakes, not just by explaining the relevant biology, but by plucking the latest science out of obscure journals and putting it right here. In some cases, I try to explain how the scientific method has been used to learn more about snakes, and what research we still need to do before we can produce an answer to a question in a satisfying way. Sometimes I don't know the answer when it comes to snake myths. I have tried to avoid saying that anything is impossible, but I have no problem saying something is inconsistent with what we know about the world. Finally, I provide some helpful tips for those of us who are not necessarily enthusiastic about snakes around our homes and are looking for environmentally friendly ways of keeping them away. I view this book as the culmination of my science communication efforts, which span more than a decade and have reached hundreds of thousands of people. It's not a comprehensive tome about snake biology, nor is it a field guide. Rather, each chapter represents a topic that I've learned is important after hearing from you. By the time you finish this book, I hope I have helped you learn more about these slithering creatures around us, and I hope you have gotten a refresher on how scientists answer questions. And most importantly, I hope I have provided you with ammunition that you can use next time you get into a debate about whether the snake that just fell into your canoe was a cotton mouth. Ooh, gotten mouth and again. Doctor David Stein's book is Secrets of Snakes, The Science Beyond the Myths. Now, what if you prefer fewer scales, more fuzzed. Perhaps bats are your speed. You're like that bad story from before loved it. Maybe you know someone who is fascinated at dusk watching these airborne mammals just vacuum up mosquitoes with their squish face noses. Well, you're going to want to get all up in Doctor Merlin Tuttle's books, including The Secret Lives of Bats My Adventures with the World's Most Misunderstood Mammals, which was put out in twenty eighteen by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt now Merlin. Doctor Merlin Tuttle was the recent guest in the two part Chiropterology episode on bats, and it's safe to say, if you listened, you're obsessed with him. I get it, so am I. We're all obsessed with Merlin. I'm going to read you part of chapter one, titled Teenage Discoveries. I've always been fascinated by nature, So when at age seventeen, I discovered thousands of gray bats now referred to as gray miotis, doing things that, according to the books of the day, they weren't supposed to do, I was immediately intrigued. It all began in April nineteen fifty nine when a high school acquaintance told me about a bat cave near my home west of Knoxville, Tennessee. Boloney Cave was named for its baloney shaped formations, and it was said to sometimes shelter thousands of bats. Next weekend, I easily persuaded my father, who was always open for a new adventure, to help me find it. We headed out on a beautiful spring afternoon. The sun was bright, the air was scented with honeysuckle blossoms. As we followed a barely visible trail along the fence then into the shade of stately old oak and hickory trees. A half mile later, we found ourselves staring into a gaping pit about twelve feet in diameter at the top sloping down like an ant lion funnel. Limestone walls adorned in moss and ferns dripped from recent showers. This clearly was the cave my friend had described. Wondering if the bats could still be there, we carefully climbed down into the cooler entrance, jumping the last few feet to the floor before venturing into the dark interior. We retrieved our new miners caps and carbide lamps from our knapsacks and added fuel. Each lamp included an upper and a lower chamber. We added quarter inch chunks of carbide into the lower ones and poured water into the upper ones. When water co tax carbide, it produces a settlene gas, and when the gas exits through a tiny nozzle in the middle of a shiny metal reflector, it can be lit with a spark from an embedded flint. This provided each of us with a half inch flame for light. We could alter the brightness by adjusting a lever which controlled the rate at which water dripped onto the carbide. Even at their brightest, these lamps were dim compared to today's led lights, but they were the best we had. After allowing our eyes to adjust to the yellowish glow of our lamps, we began to look around, first noticing a room the size of a small bedroom on our left. It was strewn with old moonshine still paraphernalia, broken mason jars, and parts of wooden barrels. The ceiling was smoke blackened from the distilling process. Far more concerned about finding bats, we would later regret having assumed that moonshine stills in Bologny Cave were limited to the far distant past. This was our first venture into a cave. My father led the way and we stepped carefully around slick spots on an uneven floor. Our hands often supported us against the moist limestone walls. After going by several side passages, my father exclaimed, Wow, look at this. We were just entering a room the size of a two car garage, which are dim lights barely covered. Along one side, bologne shaped formations ran down a wall into a pit. Because the bottom was beyond the reach of our lights, it seemed endlessly deep. I sure hope that bats don't live beyond that, I commented, pointing into the chasm. You will have to pick up The Secret Lives of Bats to hear what happens next. But Merlin also recommended a short graph from the introduction, which reads in the following pages, I will share highlights from a lifetime and thrilling adventure and scientific discovery covering every continent where bats live. From moonshiner standoffs to close encounters with tigers, cobras and poachers, and bats as cute as any panda and as strange as any dinosaur, tiny bumblebee bats to giant flying foxes. Follow along, and I hope that through my adventures, you too will become passionate about bats. So that is The Secret Lives of Bats by Merlin Tuttle from the Chiropterology episode He is a Treasure. So okay, let's say that you love mammals, but specifically the ones that live indoors with you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Sinologist and animal trainer Brandon McMillan has dedicated his whole life to rescuing doggos, and his book is called Lucky Dog Lessons Train Your Dog in Seven Days It was put out in twenty eighteen by Harper One, and in it he talks about his history with dogs. But first let's take a quick break to hear about some sponsors of the show who make it possible to donate to a charity each week. And this week's recipient is chosen by me, and it's eight six LA dot org and eight two six LA is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting students with their creative and expository writing skills and to help teachers inspire their students to write. So eight two six LA provides after school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops. They have in school tutoring help for English language learners, and assistants with student publications. So that donation was made possible by some sponsors, which you may hear about now.
Speaker 3: Mom, why did they call it Scottish cheese? Scotta cheese?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Did dogs in other countries speak different languages?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: Well, when we get there, well, we've got to fix the car first, but there's someone coming to help us.
Speaker 3: Is it the man from Geneva?
Speaker 1: Not Geneva, he's from Aviva. Oh, there's a van now.
Speaker 3: For car insurance with breakdown rescue, it takes a Viva visit Aviva Dota E to say fifteen percent acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Minimum premium of three hundred and ten year old. Fifteen percent discant applies to new policies bought online. See Aviva dot E for details. Car insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland dak Aviva Direct Arland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to the book Lucky Dog Lessons, Train Your Dog in Seven Days by Brandon McMillan. In it, he writes, let me back up a little bit to how dogs in particular became such an important part of my life. When I was twenty two, I had a life changing experience. I read the statistics on shelter dogs in America and learned that every year in the United States alone, over a million dogs are euthanized because they can't find homes. That's one million. That's a lot of dogs. And they're not dying in some far off place we've never heard of. It's happening right here in our own cities and suburbs. I couldn't stand the thought of it, and ever since I caught on to that statistic, I've dedicated more and more of my life to rescuing unwanted dogs who stood no chance of finding homes, and to proving they're just as trainable, if not more so, than breeder bought dogs. Back then, he writes, I was working for a Hollywood company that trained animals for film and television. We were a successful old school company, and my boss had always worked mainly with breeder bought dogs with known bloodlines. He believed that knowing everything about the dogs from birth made them better dogs to train. But my view was a little different. At the time, I lived in apartment where I could see the yard of a local animal shelter. Every day, after working with my company's stable of pure bred dogs, I'd go home and look out my window and see some of the same breeds German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chihuahuas, pit poles, and others all at this shelter. And at first I was annoyed by the never ending barking, But after reading the stats on shelter dog deaths, I came to the sickening realization that those dogs were living on borrowed time many were destined to end up among the million. The knowledge aid at me and inspired me to take action. My plan was simple, even if it was a little ambitious. I'd rescue dogs who stood no chance of finding a home and turn them into movie stars. I went to my boss and I asked if I could rescue one dog to train for the business. After a debate, which turned into an argument, he agreed on one condition. My job was on the line if I failed. The next day, I went to a shelter in LA that had one of the highest mortality rates in the Southwest. This was the Shawshank of Shelters, a cold and outdated facility that had seen its funding stripped away by city budget cuts. It was bursting at the seams with dogs and animals there had a greater chance of getting euthanized than of finding homes. As I made my way down the row of kennels, I spotted a young Rottweiler named Raven. She seems sweet, I had a good attention span, and was more interested in me than all the distractions around her. I adopted her out of the shelter that day and I took her home. Raven had a few issues to work out. But after a couple of months of intensive training, she went on her first job, a music video for Outcast. Raven knocked it out of the park. The director told me my dog performed better than the humans did that day, I'll dare you. After that, Raven went on to become the most booked dog in the company. I didn't just get to keep my job. I got a green light to grow the company's pack with more shelter dogs like Raven. My new rescues also went on to become obedient scholars, proving that shelter dogs aren't damaged goods, they are hidden treasures with an ocean of untapped intelligence and loyalty. And then on everything changed for me. I advocated for rescue dogs for every job, and I also started helping people find shelter dogs who would be good matches for their families, then training the dogs specifically to meet the needs of their new homes. So for more on saving shelter dogs and training them. That was from Brandon McMillan, sinologist dog trainer's book Lucky Dog Lessons Train Your Dog in seven Days. As I record this, I have a snoozing little shelter dog right next to be. Huh, Grimmy, she's just snoozing away. My pop Grammy is seven and she was from a high kill shelter. She's just the sweetest thing. Even though she threw up in my hands the other day. That's okay. It happens to the best of us. Okay, maybe you're not a dog person, that's okay. Cat people, I see you, I love you. Philinologist doctor Michael Delgado was on early I think January twenty nineteen this year. She was sharing her wisdom about kitties, and she's an expert in cats. She co wrote the book Total Cat Mojo, The Ultimate Guide to Life with Your Cat, that was put out in twenty seventeen by Tarture Pedigree and co written with famed cat dad Jackson Galaxy. If there is a cat lover in your life, this book and that Filinology episode are just like required reading listening. Oh you will never look at a cat the same. And in Total Cat Mojo, she writes, while the case could be made that dogs find comfort and security in the guardian companion training, dynamic cats do not, not, by a country mile. Think about it. Did you ever wonder why we call people who work with dogs trainers and people who do similar work with cats behaviorists. With dogs, training stabilizes their world and, when done well, provides the cement of our relationship. But with cats, we want to maximize our level of influence on their behavior, but then be willing to bring a spirit of compromise when it comes to the end result. On a relational level. While the dog is grounded by the sit the end result for the cat is a completed action and anticipation of a reward that, however, is far from a hollow victory. We got our cat to look at us, follow our lead, and focus on completing a task that we asked of them. That's a win because it's a relationship builder, even though it doesn't complete the relationship like it might with a dog. You could even argue that compared to cats, many dogs need training for their well being. It's not only in their DNA from our long term relationship with them, but training also gives dogs coping skills in light of the expectations we place on them in the many environments and situations that we put them in. Compromise is about us meeting cats in the middle, at the communicative and relational fence. The training process I've been talking about maximizes our ability to get the cat to willingly come to that fence, something that doesn't come naturally to them. Don't expect to change them in the way that training would change a dog. Maximize and compromise is the mantra that reminds us of what a cat win looks like, which is to say that both parties will have an equal say in the outcome. It's a cat thing. So again that was from Total Cat Mojo, co written by Feelinologists doctor Michael Delgado. So much cat information. You're going to want to get that book now if your best friend is not tiny and very harry and is a human person and you're trying to establish healthier habits together. Matrimoniologist at the UCLA Marriage Lab, doctor Ben Carney co wrote a book called Love Me Slender, How smart couples team up to lose weight, exercise more, and stay healthy together. And that's co written by doctor Thomas Bradberry and published by Touchstone Press. And in it they write, many of us fantasize about how much better our health would be if we had a coach, a personal trainer, a consultant messuse, and a health conscious chef. But isn't it possible that each and every day you're waking up next to the person who is all of these things all at once. Millions of us have a loved one right by our sides who can encourage us to make great choices about the foods we consume and the exercise we get. Our boyfriends, girlfriends, spouses, and partners have the potential to make the pursuit of health far easier than it would be without their support. Eating right takes extra energy and time, but our partner can share and ease the burden of shopping, preparing, cooking, and cleaning. The healthy eating sometimes requires, in short, what looks like an impossible task for us as individuals may be far more accessible when we team up with our closest partner. So perhaps in the new year, you and your sweetie are planning to get jacked, just ripped, or stick to a KTO or a vegan or a low fod maps diet, and you just need some teamwork prep. Maybe you're like, I'm already checked, or I have no interest in being slender. Perhaps you'd like to know more about criminal justice with the Victimology episodes Amazing Doctor Kelly Renisson, who co authored the book Introduction to Criminal Justice Systems, Diversity and Change alongside Mary J. Dog I'm going to read you an excerpt from the introduction of this book, which is the textbook about criminal justice. She writes, crime and the criminal justice system commonly are sensationalized in the books we read, the television shows we watch, and the gruesome headline news stories we see daily. The real stories in the criminal justice system can be complex. In each case touches individuals in far reaching ways. The goal of this book is to demonstrate how the system works in reality and to familiarize you with the complicated path from first contact with the criminal justice system, whether as witnesses, victims, or offenders, to exiting the system. For those who do exit, to demonstrate how this happened, we introduce four real people and describe their actual experiences with the criminal justice system throughout the book. None of them wanted to be involved with the system, but for years and even decades, their lives have been intertwined and entangled with law enforcement, courts, and corrections. For some, if not each one of our four case studies, involvement with the system will continue until their deaths. There are true stories related to their cases and experience are used to enhance and inform the contextual material presented in each chapter. So that is an excerpt from the introduction of Criminal Justice Systems, Diversity and Change and doctor Cally Renaisson is also editor of the book Women Leading Change in Academia, Breaking the Glass, Ceiling, Cliff and Slipper that was edited alongside Amy Bonomi. So those are two of her books. And if you're interested more in criminal justice and victimology, doctor Kelly Renaisson from the Victimology episode is amazing.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: Her work is just really really incredible and I cherished meeting her. She was wonderful. So that was doctor Kelly Renaisson. Let's talk about death, do you want to or rather living and aging on planet Earth? Do you remember biogerontologist doctor Caleb Finch. He was the guy who studies aging and I thought he hated me until the last five seconds of the interview and then he was so nice. He was like, that was great anyway. But he's written so many books. One of them is the Biology of Human longev Inflammation, Nutrition and Aging and the Evolution of life Spans. That was put out in twenty ten by Academic Press, and in it he writes, aging is a great scientific mystery. For four decades, I have been fascinated by the possibility of a general theory addressing genomic mechanisms in the continuum of development and aging in health and disease. I was fortunate to learn some pathology as a graduate student at the Rockefeller by two masters of in the gross necropsy, Robert Leeder and John Nelson, who taught me firsthand to use tweezers and scalpel to see clues to pathology from the texture and color of tissues and fluids. Peyton Rouse made a chilling comment after my thesis lecture to the effect of Finch, I don't see why you're wasting your time on the subject like aging. Everyone knows aging is only about vascular disease and cancer. He may yet to be proved right. He goes on to say that in his book, I will try to indicate the level of certainty and evidence being considered and not try to explain too much. Again, that was from biogerontologist doctor Caleb Finch's book The Biology of Human Longevity. Now let's keep on the topic of the brain and how it makes us view our own bods. Doctor Sari Shepherd from the Sports Psychology episode is working on a new book that she says should be done in August if all goes according to perfect timing, but she'll let us know when it hits the stands in real time. That new book of hers is called The Sports Psychology Skills Primer. But she's also an expert in disordered eating and athletes and has published a book one Hundred Questions and Answers about Anarexia Nervosa, and she shared a few passages that might be of help. She says, each of the following is a misconception or myth surrounding nutrition, body weight, and sports performance myth. If someone's coach says that an athlete has to lose more weight, it must be the right thing to do. Reality, coaches can be a great source of support and motivation. However, decisions that affect medical health should be made by or at least in consultation with a physician. Well meaning coaches may put undue pressure on an athlete by making comments about weight, and may indeed be misinformed about the relationship between body weight and sports performance. Myth Daily training is necessary to maintain athletic performance. Reality, actually muscles need days without exercise in order to refuel and recover. Taking a day or two off from training does not decrease performance and may in fact have performance benefits. So that was from doctor Shepherd's book one hundred Questions and Answers about Annarexi and Rivosa, and that was put out in two thousand and nine by Jones and Bartlett, and her new book, The Sports Psychology Skills Primer will be out probably twenty twenty one. She'll let us know now. On the topic of body image, the amazing psychologist doctor Renee Engelen from the Colology or Beauty Standards episode has a book called Beauty Sick. How the cultural obsession with appearance hurts girls and women. This was put out by Harper in twenty eighteen and her book is on Amazon. It's also available at indie bookshops, so track it down locally if you can. Here is an excerpt from Beauty Sick. Beauty sickness is what happens when women's emotional energy gets so bound up with what they see in the mix, and it becomes harder for them to see other aspects of their lives. It starts surprisingly early, as soon as young girls are taught that their primary form of currency in this world involves being pleasing to the eyes of others. Although we hear the most about beauty sickness and young women, it's a malaise that affects women of all ages. You can't simply grow out of it. You must break free with deliberate intent and perseverance. Beauty sickness is fed by a culture that focuses on women's appearance over anything else they might say, or do, or be. It's reinforced by the images we see and the words we use to describe ourselves and other women. Those who shame women for their appearance feed beauty sickness. Those who praise girls and women only for how they look do the same. We should not be surprised at how many women struggle with beauty sickness. We have created a culture that tells women the most important thing they can be is beautiful. Then we pummel them with a standard of beauty they will never meet After that, when they worry about beauty, we call them superficial, or even worse, we dismiss their concerns altogether, saying everyone is beautiful in their own way, and admonishing them to accept themselves the way they are. If you can imagine a world where girls and women are less objectified and do less self objectification, you'll see a world where everything has changed. We would do different things. We would feel more ourselves and less defined by how much others enjoy looking at us. Our money and time would be spent differently. Our bodies would be healthier. Depression and anxiety might be less common or less severe. It's time to focus on looking outward rather than being looked at. There's a lot to see out there in the world. There's a lot of work to be done. And if that passage moved you, I highly encourage you to listen to the two part Coolology episode from the summer of twenty eighteen Ooh Boy, Real life Changer. In the second part, I read letters from all genders, all backgrounds, and in it we really learned that the stories we hear about ourselves and that we tell ourselves can be so painful and really need retelling. And speaking of Neardi, did you hear the Mythology episode with doctor John Booker So He is a real life mythologist who helps movie studios make their stories more compelling, and who studies myths of antiquity and helps encourage people to tell their own stories. And he's written several books. One of them is Storytelling for Virtual Reality. This is put out in twenty seventeen by rutel Edge Press, and in it he makes us see how innovative storytelling retains these really ancient roots, and he says returning to the philosophies of the ancients can help us further explore how the self orients and changes in immersive space. In the late first century, Pludark authored of volume titled Life of Theseus, and while recording the Greek legend, he asked whether a ship that had been restored by replacing every piece of wood on it remained the same ship. The question has become known as Theseus's paradox, and it's applicable in immersive virtual spaces. Is a human being that has been completely replaced by digital and virtual parts ill human being? The question becomes more interesting when we consider the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes, who gave the question further nuance a few centuries later by asking if the original planks of the ship were gathered up after being replaced and used to build a second ship. Which ship would be the original? The honest answer to these questions as they apply to virtual immersive space is that we don't know. There simply hasn't been enough time to research and study how these emerging technologies will change our perceptions of who we are and how we behave. So that is from storytelling for virtual reality. And as long as we're cruising through some ancient corridors, let's stop into Egypt with doctor Karacooney. She's, of course from the Egyptology episode and her latest book is When Women Ruled the World Six Queens of Egypt. This was put out by National Geographic in twenty eighteen. Who boy, howdy, it is choc a block with facts and stories. I'm going to get right into it. The first two pages read why women Don't Rule the World. In the fifth century BC, thousands of years after her lifetime, the Greek historian Herodotus wrote about a certain Nichochris, a queen whose husband brother had been murdered by conspirators. The young beautiful woman claimed her revenge by inviting all the collaborators to a grand banquet and a fancy and newly commissioned underground hall. When the men were all happily eating and drinking, Nitocris ordered the floodgates opened through a secret channel, drowning them all in nile waters. The rebels thus dispatched. Her final act was to throw herself into a fiery pit, so that no man could exact his retribution on her. Kara writes, One wonders whether the fiery pit could have been any better than whatever torture they may have meted out. Doctor Cooney writes, Nitocris's story has everything, political intrigue, incest, fabulous Egyptian booby traps, and most important of all, a beautiful young queen avenging her husband's murder with cleverness and bravery. Offering herself before they could take presumably sexual revenge on her makes her even more appealing. There's only one problem. There's no evidence from that time of Nitocris, no burial location, no statuary, no texts, no monuments, nothing to prove that she was more than a historian's fantasy. But her narrative fits some extraordinarily familiar patterns for well documented female rulers of ancient Egypt. She was the last ruler of her family dynasty. She acquired power by marrying her own brother. She acted in fierce protection of her husband, her brother, her patriarchy. She resorted to deceit and trickery to gain power over her enemies, and she was misunderstood by her own people, who would erase her image from monuments around Egypt. Indeed, there is enough to Nitocris's legend to suspect that what might seem like nothing more than a salicious story is actually composed of kernels of truth embedded in a romanticized cultural memory that has come down to us in fragmented and dramatized form in one place on our planet, thousands of years ago, against all the odds of the male dominated system in which they lived, women ruled repeatedly with formal, unadulterated power. Like Nitachris, Most of these women ruled as Egyptian god king incarnate, not as the mere power behind a man on the throne. Ancient Egypt is an anomaly as the one land that consistently called upon the rule of women to keep its regime in working order, safe from discord, and on the surest possible footing, particularly when a crisis was underway. If I mispronounced all of those names, please forgive me. And that was from When Women Rule the World Six Queens of Egypt by doctor Karacuni. As long as we're talking about crises, let's have an existential one. So recent guest, doctor Adam Becker told us all about quantum ontology and had us looking at our own hands and faces, asking what is real? And his book What Is Real? The Unfinished Quest for the Meaning of Quantum Physics, which was put out by Basic Books in twenty eighteen, paints a picture, a Renaissance portrait really, of the quantum physics world and multiple universes, and Schrodinger's and Einstein's infinements and theories in crackpots and more so. The first two pages of it read, the objects in our everyday lives have an annoying inability to appear in two places at once. Leave your keys in your jacket and they won't also be on the hook by the front door. This isn't surprising. These objects have no uncharted abilities or virtues. They're profoundly ordinary. Yet these mundane things are composed of a galaxy of the unfamiliar. Your house keys are a temporary alliance of a trillion trillion atoms, each forged in a dying star eons ago, each falling to Earth in its earliest days. They have bathed in the light of a violent young son. They have witnessed the entire history of life on our planet. Atoms are epic. Like most epic heroes, atoms have some problems that ordinary humans don't. We are creatures of habit, monotonously persisting in just one location at a time, but a are prone to whimsy. A single atom wandering down a path in a laboratory encounters a fork where it can go left right. Rather than choosing one way forward, as you or I would have to do, the atom suffers a crisis of indecision over where to be and where not to be. Ultimately, our nanometer hamlet chooses both. The atom doesn't split. It doesn't take one path and then the other. It travels down both paths, simultaneously, thumbing its nose at the laws of logic. So the rules that apply to you and me and Danish princes don't apply to atoms. They live in a different world, governed by different physics, the sub microscopic world of the quantum. Quantum physics the physics of atoms and other ultratiny objects like molecules and sub atomic particles is the most successful theory in all of science. It predicts a stunning variety of phenomena to an extraordinary degree of accuracy, and its impact goes well beyond the world of a very small and into our everyday lives. The discovery of quantum physics in the early twentieth century led directly to the silicon transistors buried in your phone and in the LEDs in its screen, the nuclear hearts of the most distant space probes, and the lasers in the supermarket checkout scanner. Quantum physics explains why the sun shines and how your eyes could see it. It explains the entire discipline of chemistry, periodic table and all. It even explains how things stay solid, like the chair you're sitting on or your own bones and skin. All of this comes down to very tiny objects behaving in very odd ways. But there's something troubling here. Quantum physics doesn't seem to apply to humans or anything at human scale. Our world is a world of people and keys and other ordinary things that can travel down only one path at a time. Yet all the mundane things in the world around us are made of atoms, including me, you, and Danish princes. All those atoms certainly are governed by quantum physics. So how can the physics of atoms differ so wildly from the physics of our world made of atoms? Why is quantum physics only the physics of the ultra tiny? The problem isn't that quantum physics is weird. The world is a wild and wooly place with plenty of room for weirdness. But we definitely don't see all the strange effects of quantum physics in our daily lives. Why not? Maybe quantum physics really is only the physics of tiny things, and it doesn't apply to large objects. Perhaps there's a boundary somewhere, a border beyond which quantum physics doesn't work. In that case, where is the boundary and how does it work? And if there is no such boundary, the quantum physics really applies to us just as much as it applies to atoms and subatomic particles, Then why does quantum physics so flagrantly contradict our experience of the world. Why aren't our keys ever in two places at once? So to have an existential crisis and get your mind blown by the physics of the ultra tiny Read What Is Real The Unfinished Quest for the Meaning of Quantum Physics by doctor Adam Becker, who of course was the guest in the Quantum Ontology episode. Very recently. Now, speaking of astrophysics, I know you all love doctor Katie Mack. She just announced that her book, The End of Everything Astrophysically Speaking, is due out next summer. I asked if she had anything she could share, and she said, I don't actually know what the rules are about releasing bits of the text, but here's a sentence about it. It's a book for anyone who's ever looked at the big, majestic universe out there and wondered what happens next. A breezy tour through a few possible cosmic apocalypses that might befall our universe, what they would look like if we were there to see them happen, and how cosmologists are working to figure it all out. So that is doctor Katie Mack of the Cosmology episodes, upcoming book. You can pre order it now. It's called The End of Everything Astrophysically Speaking. Also, while you're at it. Go listen to the song No Plan by Hozier, who is a fan of Doctor Mac. The lyrics and that song read There's no Plan, There's no hand on the rain. As Mac explained, there will be darkness again. Huh yes, he means that Mac. Doctor Katie Mack, I have listened to the song approximately seventeen thousand times. I played over and over again. It's so good. As Mack explained, there will be darkness again. I hope it plays over global loudspeakers when the apocalypse comes. But when will that be? You ask? Let's ask Philterrurus, not the butterfly lepidopterology guest, but the expert in existential risk i e. Eschatology ie the End of the World. Here is a bit from chapter one of his book, Our last book, selection of this episode, Morality, Foresight and Human Flourishing and Introduction to Existential Risks. This was put out in twenty seventeen by Pitchstone Publishing, and in it he writes, one can make a very strong case that humanity has never lived in more peaceful times. According to the Harvard polymath Stephen Pinker, violence has been declining since humanity struggled as hunter gatherers in the Paleolithic, roughly twelve thousand years ago. This trend has continued through the twentieth and into the twenty fourth century. Despite the two World Wars Korean War, Aetnam War, Second Congo War also known as the African World War, and rise of global terrorism. We find ourselves in the midst of what historians call the Long Piece, a period that began at the end of World War Two and during which no two superpowers have gone to war, and what Pinker tentatively dubs the New Piece, which refers to organized conflicts of all kinds, civil wars, genocides, repression by autocratic governments, and terrorist attacks having declined throughout the world since the Cold War concluded in nineteen eighty nine. Now, if you choose when you would like to live in human history since our debut in East Africa some two hundred thousand years ago, the most reasonable answer would be today, at the dawn of the twenty first century, no question, But there is a countervailing trend that tempers the good news presented by Pinker's historical analyzes. We might also live in the most dangerous period of human history. Ever. The fact is that our species is haunted by a growing swarm of risk that could either trip us into the eternal grave of extinction or irreversibly catapult us back into the Stone Age. Just consider that humanity has stood in the flickering shadows of a nuclear holocaust since nineteen forty five, when the United States dropped two nuclear bombs on the Japanese archipelaga. In the years since this epic defining event, scientists have confirmed the climate change and global biodiversity loss are urgent threats with existential implications, while risk experts have become increasingly worried about the possibility of malicious individuals creating designer pathogens that could initiate a worldwide pandemic. Looking further along that threat horizon, there appears to be a number of unprecedented dangers associated with molecular nanotechnology and artificial intelligence. Thus, one only needs simple arithmetic to see that the total number of existential risk scenarios has increased significantly since the Atomic Age began, and it looks as if this trend will continue at least into the coming decades, if not. Further considerations of these phenomena have led some scholars to offer unsettlingly high estimates that a global disaster will occur in the foreseeable future. An informal two thousand and eight survey of experts at a conference hosted by the Future of Humanity Institute gave a nineteen percent chance of extinction before twenty one hundred and The cosmologist Martin Reise writes in a two thousand and three book that civilization has a fifty to fifty chance of surviving the present century. To put this in perspective, consider that the average American has a one and nine thousand, seven hundred and thirty seven lifetime chance of dying in an air and space transport accident. It follows that, according to the FHI survey, the average American is at least fifteen hundred times more likely to perish in a human extinction catastrophe than a plane crash. That, of course, is an excerpt from eschatologist apocalypse expert Phil tores So that's a good news. If you're traveling for the holidays. Don't fret about the flight. Your relatives' political views might be more likely to do us all. In that being said, there's never been a better time to think, Hey, I'm going to ask some smart people some stupid questions because we're all going to die one day. Might as well cut some banks while I'm at it and text my crush. Nothing is permanent. Your atoms may become a key chain one day, you don't know, So just make the most of the configuration that you're in now. And that being said, holidays and winter and darkness and nippy days, they're a wonderful time. Just brew a cup of anything, spike it if you need to, curl up in some kind of worn out wingback chair with a throw blanky, and dive into the brain of an ologist through the pages of a book. So links to all of these books are up at alleywar dot com, slash ologies, slash bookworm. You can order most of them online, sure, but consider calling around maybe to a few bookstores see if they have them on hand. But no matter how you get them or gift them or read them, I hope they open up your world a little more and make you take advantage of the present moment you're in the person that you are. This show would be nothing without theologists. We're so lucky that they take the time to communicate their work and their passions so thank you to each and every ologist who's ever been on. And if you yourself are thinking you'd like to write a book, let this episode be some sort of cosmic sign that you should start it. Maybe it's a collection of short stories. Maybe it's the memoir of a very surprising life history, nonfiction about your work. Maybe you want to write a mystery or a romance novel. All of these ologists are authors and writers and published, so let them inspire you. Just write. Let Adam Becker's advice to you resonate. He said in the Quantum Montology episode, I decided, Okay, the only way that I'm going to get through this is if I plan it and then just only pay attention to whatever is in front of me. Because I can't write ninety thousand words, but I can write six hundred words a day, and if I do that for a while, eventually I'll have ninety thousand words. So the world is a beautiful, scary, wonder filled place, And if you have a story to tell, I hope you tell it. Okay, So thanks, thank you to sisters Bonnie Dutch and Shannon feltas of the podcast. You are that for handling merch at ologiesmerch dot com, and thank you to Emily White and all the transcribers helping make transcribed episodes available. You can check Alleyward dot com slash Ologies dash extras for those There's also bleeped episodes up there. Thanks to Hannah Lippo and Aaron Talbert for adminting the Ologies podcast Facebook group full of lovely curious folks. There's also, by the way, an offshoot the Ologites book Club, and they're on Facebook and Instagram. I'm going to link them at alleyward dot com slash Ology slash Bookworm. A bunch of listeners have formed a book club. You're free to join that. I'm at Aliword with one L on Twitter and Instagram. I'm also on the kids science shows Brainchild on Netflix, on Innovation Nation on CBS every week, and i have my very own science show. It's on the CW. It's called Did I Mention Invention? Safe to Watch with your Kids. Ologies is on Instagram and Twitter at Ologies and also thank you to the love at LEAs Stephen Ray Morris, who helps cut these episodes together. He's getting this up on a quick turnaround because I was battling a migrade yesterday, So thank you SRM. The theme music was written and performed by Nick Thorburn of the band Islands. If you stick around to the end of the episode, you know I tell you a secret, and this week's secret something that maybe like one hundred people and the last month have reached out to ask me. So if it's been driving you crazy, yes, yes, that is my voice on a grocery store commercial. Apparently they were trying to cast like a friendly voice for it for a while and then one of the ad execs is an ologite and so they were like, ask dad Ward if she'll do it. So it's been a fun little side gig. And I was listening to my friend Rose Evelis podcast flash Forward and suddenly I heard my voice and it freaked me the fuck out because I was like, what huh? And I realized that it was my grocery store ad running on her podcast What Is Life? So if you're like, is that you talking about fresh groceries?
Speaker 3: It is? That's me.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I hope you buy a book Rominologist. I hope you enjoyed this reading hour. Theologists are wonderful. Enjoy some books. Curl up, okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Pacadermantology, mombiology or doo zoology, lithology, new technology, meteorology and pertology, nthology, seriology, elidology.
Speaker 3: I like big books, informative or SAPAR