Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is Simply Safe Home Security. We all promise to digital detox on August vacation. I don't, but you can't actually unplug if you're anxiously checking your security camera feeds when you're poolside. I mean that's a little different than digital dtalks on Twitter. Simply Save once you put the phone down, because you know live agents are helping to watch the perimeter. Well that's nice. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break in is already underway. Simply Safe it's designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. Smart AI powered outdoor cameras detect suspicious activity at the perimeter and alert live US based agents to step in. Simply Save agents assess the threat intervened through the outdoor camera to scare off trespassers, and call for nine to one to one dispatch. Our CEO, Sinda recently had a Simply Safe installed in her home. She actually installed it herself. It was so easy and now she's pretty happy with it. Installation was quick and easy, and all the components have work smoothly. The app's easy to use and gives her total peace of mind. To say who's dropping by, or if you want, you can easily chat with visitors through the camera even when you're away. Simply Safe it's been protecting your world for twenty years. Celebrate their anniversary with us and save sixty percent on your new simply Safe system at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's sixty percent off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. Plus when you order, write in our show name in the how did you hear about a survey to let them know we sent you. Don't forget there's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 2: Every big story starts with a question, why did this happen, Who's behind it?
Speaker 3: And what happens next?
Speaker 1: That's three questions.
Speaker 2: I'm Considered This from NPR. They answer those questions every weekday by going beyond the headlines with the reporting, contacts and analysis that help you make sense of the biggest story of the day. The news doesn't stop it.
Speaker 3: What happened? Get the full story.
Speaker 2: Listen to Consider This from NPR wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Welcome to pot Dave America. I'm John Faber, I'm John Lennont, I'm Toddy Etur. On today's show, we'll talk about Trump declaring economic d Day against Iran, but also maybe against Canada and the American people. We'll also cover jd Vance as a return to the campaign trail, complete with mentions of his papaw Sharia law and his friendship with Susan Collins. We got a quick midterm update that includes the weird meeting between Hakeem Jeffreys and Jared Kushner. The long awaited Duffy Family reality show finally hits the airwaves. I've been desperate for this to pop up on YouTube, as have most Americans.
Speaker 4: Need someone to watch for Assault Lake comes back, and.
Speaker 1: Later you'll hear my interview with Congressman Seth Moulton, who faces off against Senator at Markey next week in the last big primary contest before the midterms. But first we have some big news. The newest podcast joining the Crooked media family is called Still Counting, hosted by Nate Silver, Claire Malone, and Galen Druk. You might remember this crew from the five thirty eight pod, which we always thought was one of the smartest, most entertaining shows about politics out there before five thirty eight was shut down by the corporate media last year.
Speaker 5: But some big corporate mouse.
Speaker 1: Who will remain nameless, right but now, nay Claire and Galen wanted to get back on the air ahead of the midterms, and we are thrilled that they've chosen Crooked as their new home.
Speaker 3: Damn right.
Speaker 1: So each week on the pod, they're going to dig into the latest in politics and polling to break down what's happening and why. But they're also going to cover everything from elections to betting markets to AI with their trademark rigorous analysis and plenty of hot takes. You can hear the trailer right now by subscribing to Still Counting wherever you get your podcasts and on YouTube at Still Counting Podcast.
Speaker 5: Great for the audience, huge get for us, huge kid.
Speaker 2: I look, Dan's Pollarcoaster is fantastic and I will continue to listen to it all the time. But I need a little more of a polling junkie fix. Wow, is still Counting in my life? I just need more.
Speaker 3: I thought it was going to be, but there it was a yes, it was literally exactly.
Speaker 4: This is pod is like is good. It's basically for for for pat America. Host is like selling drugs outs out of school, you know, the first hits free thing.
Speaker 1: Tell me I like keeping Dan on his toes and be a little Dan.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey, hey, Dan, you know, prove us wrong. Prove us wrong.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 5: All right, it's not it's not. It's not a no, but it's not a yes.
Speaker 4: We're not we're not We're not a full hard yes on Dan.
Speaker 1: Despite the yes, we Dan merge that's everywhere. New episodes have still kind of drop. September ninth, Uh and uh yeah, we're very excited to have subscribe and Galen subscribe right away, joining the fam. All right, let's start here with the news. Donald Trump continues to bankrupt America by waging war against two of our greatest adversaries, Iran and Canada. We'll get to that in a second, but first we should talk about breaking news, but a third war. Trump is losing against another longtime adversary he's been personally obsessed with for years. Let's listen.
Speaker 6: Let's call it the fat drug. The fat drug fat for fat people.
Speaker 7: Anybody uses the table, don't ask.
Speaker 1: And a friend of mine who's very fat told.
Speaker 6: Me, and I want to tell you, you know, he could be a famous guy. He's begging me not to release his day.
Speaker 1: He's a very highly neurotic, very fat sort of a fat slab. I would drum.
Speaker 4: I bought the fat drug. I said, I didn't know you used it because.
Speaker 5: It's not working and the governor is a big fat slab. Jesus, we can't do that, sir.
Speaker 1: You can't call JB.
Speaker 5: Pritzk or a fat pig. Please.
Speaker 1: You know some people say never use the fat word, and I know I would never call anybody fed.
Speaker 7: I have my own problems.
Speaker 1: Well he sure does, because here's Sunday's headline from the Washington Post. Doctor say Trump's weight post as a significant health risk. The president has gained about twenty pounds since his campaign, according to his statements and those of AIDS. SO. Back in June, the White House had to publicly refute speculation that Trump was on an experimental new weight loss drug after stat News reported that a seventy nine year old man with government connections got early access to the drugs. I guess the White House was telling the truth.
Speaker 4: Yes, it turns out that Trump is not like reckless gay guys in West Hollywood buying compound versions of this drug from China.
Speaker 1: Is that happening, I think so?
Speaker 2: I just want to say for the record that Favor and I wanted to lead with Canada and Love it locked the door of our production meeting until we agreed to start with the GLPS.
Speaker 1: I did to start with fat, I said, deserve fat dessert.
Speaker 4: Hey it's August, let's have desert for dinner, all right?
Speaker 1: The cakes for the fun clearly has been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's well, he's well called.
Speaker 4: I love the moments in those videos where he hesitates where he goes and this person they're fat.
Speaker 1: I want you to know, I uh put that super cuts together myself. There was like ten more clips of him just saying fat, fat slob. He tells the story about the friend like fifty times.
Speaker 4: One other thing to note too, is this is the this is the figures that they're telling us. I feel like they've been slowly trying to get the number back to a real number, so he may not have gained as much as they're saying. On the other hand, based on the weight and height they've released, his BMI is twenty nine point seven, which means if his weight was one pound more, he would be technically obese, which I'm sure he would not like. And so for all we know, they've kind of brought that number down a pound or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they may have been telling the truth about him not being on this experimental GLP one, or it could just be eaten through it.
Speaker 3: It has happened before through it power.
Speaker 2: My favorite part of these stories though, is that as they track his weight, they cite when he was arrested in Georgia. When he was booked, they released that he was six three two fifteen, which was John Elway's playing weight when he won two super Bowls in NFL MVP.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing by the way, well muscle is heavier. Isn't it amazing by the way that we're just kind of you can just say something like, oh, you remember when he was arrested in Georgia because of his mugshot because the president is a convicted criminal, but also gain twenty pounds since twenty twenty four is an eighty year old almost obese man. I don't know what even what to say. Oh, what's again? He's gonna turn over a new leaf right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's one to really he's one to really make a lot of resolutions and try to keep them.
Speaker 5: No, well done, Burger today, just the steamed fish.
Speaker 2: It was also their response to this story was to attack Joe Biden, who is currently recovering from cancer. So that's a classy move as always from the White House. Did you see the video of Trump's workout that was on Twitter over the weekend. No, it's actually really good. Yes, should roll this thing.
Speaker 8: Don't know?
Speaker 1: This is? This is? That is the clip I showed my choulders this morning when I was laughing, and I was like, it's like, why are you watching that? And I was like, it's a work thing. And He's like, what is it at work? And I was like, well, sometimes we watch clips of robots falling and then and then people laugh at them, and then we laugh at it, and then people watch us laugh at the videos. And Charlie's like, oh, I want to do that job.
Speaker 3: It's a good job.
Speaker 9: They can't.
Speaker 4: Kind of just a point of personal privilege about the Robot Olympiad that's going on the.
Speaker 1: World Humanoid Robot Games in Beijing.
Speaker 4: So they keep saying things like, oh, this is the fastest robot, this is the fastest robot, and it's like okay, but like, we have lots of robots that can go very fast already. I guess they just don't have human lengths. They have to have a human leg to them. Is that what makes it different?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you're saying like you're saying, way way most.
Speaker 5: B Yeah, we got lots of fast ship.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it's a humanoid. The humanoid.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's got to be humanoid.
Speaker 1: I'm going to kill you.
Speaker 2: But there's also like weird dogs and ship getting preaded around. There's a guy riding a giant dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that one that was nightmare fuel.
Speaker 3: That's really bad.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's great that we should give them thumbs. And also that open eye have every once in a while is like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we lost a couple. We think they're in the pacemakers. Now it's sorry everybody.
Speaker 4: We're gonna we've realized the air of our ways again and now we got up.
Speaker 5: We put up. Just here's the thing.
Speaker 4: We put a lock on the door, but the one of our guys fell in love with the robot and unlocked it, and so we got to figure out how to make them less sexually charming.
Speaker 3: But they're not sure how.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 1: But you know what, there's only so much we can do because China, right, right, yeah, then.
Speaker 3: The rest of the ones cut the China. You're doing karate kicks.
Speaker 2: They're drop kicking like six years old.
Speaker 1: Like, so, what do you want us to do if we have a few escape the sandbox? That's sorry, you gotta crack cracked a couple of eggs when I supposed to not I p o right, make an omelet anyway? Uh, there aren't. We do have some more consequential but no less absurd Trump stories. Soybean farmer Scott Bessant announced Operation Economic Outcast on Monday, a series of new sanctions against Iran and the threat of much larger sanctions down the road that he likened to the most significant military invasion of the twentieth century. But there seemed to be a bit of a gap between Besant's framing and the reality. Let's listen.
Speaker 10: In the Second World War, D Day mark the historic beginning of a campaign with our allies to target and drive the enemy from its positions, including those in third countries. Today, in that same spirit, we are launching an economic onslaught against Iran's financial connections around the globe.
Speaker 3: Around the globe.
Speaker 11: You described this as an economic D Day, but D Day wasn't a threat of an invasion in the US didn't give a timeline to Germany, So why not impose the sanctions today?
Speaker 10: Well, we are giving everyone the opportunity to remedy bad behavior. Why would I want to blow up the global financial system?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Extraordinary sentence? Extraordinary sentence? Crazy?
Speaker 4: That is that? I like saw that as like, what what an absolute fucking doof?
Speaker 5: Because it's like, what, first.
Speaker 4: Of all, is that what you're threatening? Why are you the good you are? We're supposed to be the good guys. Yeah, and then also if you're suggesting that the thing you're going to impose is basically a global economic crisis, it does signal to the people you're threatening that you're deeply concerned about the risk you'd be taking, which you've consistently shown yourself willing to back off of when you get close to the line. Because they know that you can back off right before you go through your various threats.
Speaker 1: Those mulas must be terrified. Huh.
Speaker 2: Twenty five hundred Americans died on D Day, so you know some downsides that do. Yeah, the pissy kid ever calling That's why cost cup Essen calling this economic D Day is so funny because I cannot overstate how mundane this sanctions announcement actually was. This is just like stuff they roll out all the time. For example, they try to make it sound like they're sanctioning all these new sectors. So they mentioned gold in the aviation sector. But if you look at US sanctions over the years, we've been sanctioning gold the sort of gold industry since twenty eleven, and the aviation sectors in two thousand and eight. So this announcement today is not going to make the Iranian regime the RGC kind of give up.
Speaker 3: I think it's a lot of bluster, it's a lot of rhetoric.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of them trying to figure out what they do to get through the midterms. The scary thing is that I think the Axios report on the sanctions today mentioned that they're considering restarting the war after the midterms are over. So you'll love when the wars are timed with the midterms.
Speaker 1: That's always well in the blowing up of the globe. So I had to dig into this because basically there were two things today. There were like sanctions against sixty Iran linked people, entities, vessels that, like you said, are pretty mundane, very like a typical day all.
Speaker 3: The time, right.
Speaker 1: And then there's the threat of Major's sanctions that would blow up the global economic system, which is sanctioning any country that does business with Iran China, for example, which he would not take off the table, but would also not mention the.
Speaker 2: Only thing that would matter is secondary sanctions on China to a less India, maybe Russia, maybe Turkey. But there's no way that they're going to do a bunch of secondary sanctions on Chinese banks, for example, in advance of the shijin Ping visit, nor do I think they would do them period, because the Chinese will retaliate against us, then the Iranians will ittaliate against us, and then it'll be a big dust.
Speaker 1: Up again, which leads you back to love It's original point, right, which is so it's just bluster, or else if it's not bluster, it's blowing up the global economic financial system, which I guess they don't want to do until after the midterms, or maybe they'll just bomb after the midterms.
Speaker 4: Well, the other part of just the threat in Axios about how we're going to maybe resume the military campaign after the election, which, by the way, as I think in part like I hope it's not true. I hope they're doing politics with their own neo cons that they're trying to keep in line, because this is of they're not doing the retaliation that a lot of these people want. They're doing sort of mid tier. They're doing sort of these sort of threats of future economic sanctions. But if it is a real threat, and I assume Urn will have to take it as a real threat, then they are telling you in advance, hey, we should conflate economic activity with military activity. If you're thinking if Iran is going to potentially retaliate against economic sanctions with military force, one argument against it would be that it would be escalating the war.
Speaker 5: But the US is.
Speaker 4: Promising to escalate the war potentially after the election.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 4: The other part of it too, so did it's just in the best in op ed reannounced all this in a written like like he asked a large language model to write like a Victorian with a head injury. It's just like over the top, ridiculous thing. But in any set refers to something called Pascal's Wager, and basically he says, uh, people.
Speaker 1: Working that was going to be triggering for you.
Speaker 4: People working with Ran should be careful because of Pascal's wager, which basically says, you can't know for sure if God is real, so act as if God is real, because if it is, boy, you'll wish you believed, which is, you know, philosophically confusing, but whatever. And so he seems to be suggesting that countries may want to do a deal with Iran because in the short term it's quite beneficial to them, but they should be careful that even though partnering with the US, per Besson's argument, has no benefits whatsoever, to the point where you can't even tell if the United States exists, we could exist, and if we do, boy will be mad.
Speaker 5: That's sort of what he's.
Speaker 4: That's sort of the position he's trying to direct, I guess, not just to by the way, also to Korea, to other countries that are desperate to try to figure out how to get out of this sort of view Blot.
Speaker 2: Someone who most recently cut a deal seemingly with the Iranians to avoid getting fired at all the time, Did you guys see that? Barry McCaffrey tweeted quote in my judgment, US armed forces have probably permanently lost access.
Speaker 1: To fifteen Persian golf bases.
Speaker 2: Iran now poised to control access to the Gulf States, US will have to negotiate new access in western Saudi Arabia, Israel, Southern Europe. It's like an entire recalibration of our charity architecture in the Middle East because we have lost this war just sort.
Speaker 1: Of by accident. And in case you're wondering how seriously the rest of the world and the markets took this, today oil went down two and a half percent, so it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Anyone's too worried or take Scott Beston seriously. And it seems like with good reason. Pose of America is brought to you by Article. Article makes it effortless to build a home that lasts without the boutique markup. They're curated collections of mid century, coastal and scandy furniture are designed to mix and match perfectly, so you can create a cohesive, designer look that will stand the test of time. We got some great Article furniture here in the office we have for a while. They have. They got a nice couch, they got some chairs, very very sturdy, and it looks really good, looks fancy, even though looks even though it's very affordable. Article offers fast, affordable shipping across the US and Canada, with options for professional assembly. If you prefer a hands off experience, have a question, or need help with your design choices, Article's customer care team is available seven days a week, offering knowledgeable support and even free interior design services to help you get your home just right. With articles thirty day satisfaction guarantee, you can shop with confidence knowing that if you're not completely in love with your new furniture, you can easily return it. This peace of mind ensures you can invest in your home without hesitation. Articles offering our listeners fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more. To claim, visit article dot com slash crooket and the discount will be automatically applied at checkout. That's article dot com slash crooked for fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more. Podsave of America is brought to you by the Working Forests Initiative. The Working Forest Initiative is a coalition of forest products companies set out to establish and advance a common understanding of the broad range of environmental, economic, and societal benefits generated by working forests. At the heart of this coalition are working forest professionals whose mission is to keep America's working forests sustainable. Encompassing roles like gis analysts, biologists, hiring managers, and accountants, these teams ensure that more trees are planted than harvested for future generations. Planting is what makes forest sustainable, and replanting generations of trees ensures continued critical role working forests play in the fight against climate change. That's what the Working Force Initiative is all about. As managers of working forces across the US, they're led by a single guiding principle to plant more trees than they harvest. More than one billion trees are planted in working forests each year, and less than two percent of the land is harvested. Through modern sustainable management methods, working forests have become an integral part of the effort to mitigate the most harmful impacts of wildfires and ultimately reduce wildfire risk. More broadly, learn more about what America's working forests are doing for all of us at Workingforcets Initiative dot com. So the Trump administration did save the more serious action for the far more dangerous adversary, Canada. The President has announced fifty percent tariffs on all Canadian cars, trucks, autoparts, and deal starting January first, again after the midterms, because he believes the country has been quote ripping off the United States for years. He also announced that quote Canada will be treated like a state no longer, and threatened quote someone should get these clowns to fall in line or the consequences for Canada will be far worse. This all comes after trade negotiations with our once closest ally fell apart Friday night, which led to Trump slapping fifty percent tariffs on twenty billion dollars of Canadian exports. Prime Minister Mark Karney's response was that the US attacked his country and is now at war with Canada. He promised to retaliate dollar for dollar. On September eighth, Jade Vance was asked by a reporter in Maine on Monday what he'd say to Americans worried about the new tariffs. And here's what Van said.
Speaker 9: We have to remember, Canada is a state, s all right, Freudian slid that was actually an accident. Canada is a country that has underinvested in its military that quite literally would get invaded by a foreign country were it not for the umbrella of protection provided by the United States of America.
Speaker 1: You think you got that joke from Rubio the big the jokes during the administration that.
Speaker 3: Was so canned Freudian slip.
Speaker 5: Canada is a country not it's really suck.
Speaker 4: It's the like politics can be confusing and complicated. The president, someone who comes out of a presdential campaign, usually doesn't make you uncomfortable every single second you see him on screen, just every time he is speaking, you're just like a little bit, I'm just uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Four your weapon unleashed. They finally unleased JD events in the campaign trail again.
Speaker 5: Let JDBJD. They wrote on a napkin.
Speaker 1: So for reference, Canada is our second biggest trading partner, which means a lot more products are about to become a lot more expensive for Americans and Canadians. Anyone care to explain why the president may have just blow up the relationship with our closest ally and made life more expensive for everyone.
Speaker 3: I can try.
Speaker 2: If Trump is mad that Canada has been rivving us off for years, he is mad at his own team's deal that they cut the USMCA.
Speaker 3: So that's what we're operating under.
Speaker 2: I've heard a couple of different theories for why the talks blew up. The first theory you hear is that the US try to insert some eleventh hour provisions to the deal that were just a bridge too far for Mark Karney, the Prime Minister. Some of the specifically, it's like they wanted to exclude medium like trucks from the reduction in tariffs the US did, which would have made it unprofitable to produce like the four f one fifty in Canada. The deal could have weakened some French language protections that.
Speaker 3: Are very important in Quebec.
Speaker 2: Listen, thing, this is like a third rail, like you do not fuck with this stuff.
Speaker 1: But also why did we ask for that?
Speaker 4: It's not of our fucking business with the by language, the bilingual labels.
Speaker 2: I'm sure like certain companies hate having to print stuff in French on the side of a pill bottle. Look, I know it's stupid.
Speaker 4: It's that if you want to sell in Quebec, you got to put in the French.
Speaker 2: You have to And if Carney messes around with this, Quebec will seceed from Canada.
Speaker 3: So it's a big deal.
Speaker 2: And then there were some provisions that would have repeated Canada's ability to cut trade deals with other countries. I don't really understand that one. There's also a kind of a personnel argument that you hear.
Speaker 1: There's also the big one was also they wanted exclusive access. We wanted exclusive access to their critical minerals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Carney was like, Canada would never give that to anyone. It's crazy talking about never keeping it open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, open relationship with our critical men.
Speaker 5: With our tungsten.
Speaker 2: There's also reports that the US trade rap Jameson Grier was like professional and you know, he speaks French like he's like a pro to work on.
Speaker 3: And then Nick came in at the end, the Commerce secretary, you speak gay, what's he saying? And Lutnick got involved in negotiations. They went to shit.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then there's the politics of it all, which which the political reality at this point for Mark Karney is the politics of fighting Trump are so much better than cutting a deal. That requires you to make concessions and then going to and having to explain that because voters in Canada remember the whole fifty first state thing. They don't think it's funny. They haven't forgotten events, and they don't trust Trump. They think that he's going to tear up any trade deal that they signed in a year, and the Canadian nationalism has been kicked up in a way that's been really durable. Like a friend of mine was in Canada the other day watching TV and the commercials would be like Lay's Potato chips with potatoes grown proudly in Canada.
Speaker 3: It was like, you know, it's like an ongoing thing.
Speaker 2: And so the other thing for Carney is like all the reasons Canadians might oppose this deal vary by region. So like in Ontario it's the auto industry. In Quebec, it's the cultural stuff about the French language. In other parts of the country it's like lumber provisions, and like stitching that all together is a pain in the ass. So for him, he's like, you made it easy for me. Now I get just to punch you in the face with my sixty percent approval rating you being weak. Donald Trump and going into your midterms where you're likely to lose, Like I think Carney thinks it's worth the risk.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he's not asking to reopen the talks Carney, probably for those political reasons.
Speaker 4: Well also because he gave a speech where he said, I am outlining a new approach for countries, media, countries that are kind of in between these sort of great powers that are battling, and it is that we can find a way to stitch together these other kinds of arrangements without conceding, without giving up. And he can if he means that, and I do, I do he means it's inin Serreal. I don't think it'sress politics. He has to prove it in his own negotiations. He can't signal to Europe that they need to stand up to Donald Trump and then when he's faced with that himself be capitulates.
Speaker 2: And in the Canadian reciprocal tariffs I think going to place September eighth, Trump was like, ours will go into place in January, which is already him kind of you know, caving.
Speaker 3: Well or at least blinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, we just talked about Iran, right, and so that is the axios story right, like they might restart the war after the midterms, or you know, the the sanctions for the trading partners with Iran or anyone doing business with Iran. Is we're threatening that, you know, past the midterms, right, and now we're doing the Canadian tariffs past the mid terms, at least on the auto parts. So it is going to set an interesting dynamic, which is it seems right now like the White House is like, Okay, well, we don't want to at least some people in the White House, we don't want to fuck ourselves for the midterms too hard, So maybe we can delay this stuff till after the midterms. But if they it sounds like whether they lose or do better than expected in the midterms, they still want to do all this damage after the midterms, which will set up an interesting dynamic for the twenty twenty eight primary in which jd Vance we just heard from presumably is going to want to run for president or maybe Mark Ruby or whoever else and now have to deal with the fucking bigger mess that the administration seems like they're planning to cause.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also, before you even get to twenty twenty eight, take Trump at his word, like there are a lot of people running.
Speaker 3: We're going to get to Susan Collins.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump is saying I am going to put in place a giant tax increase on January first on Americans. Because Congress will not pull back the authority it has vested in Trump to do terrorists without congressional approval. Congress has the power to vent those taxes increases from going into effect. Like that, you know, seems to me a pretty big issue that people could.
Speaker 3: Be talking about about what happens.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously Trump is the ability to veto, but it would be nice to get people on record about where they stand on him doing this.
Speaker 3: And I think they're all going to run on it.
Speaker 2: I mean, in Michigan, obviously the auto industry is like the biggest fight they're going to have. So I'm sure Abduls I know Abduls all over this. In Iowa, it'll impact John Deere, which is an important industry there, but also farmers who sell agg products into Canada.
Speaker 3: In Maine, it's all about lumber.
Speaker 2: And I think there's a bigger question of like we know Trump loves tariffs, but we don't really know why, you know, like Jamison Greer seems to want to kind of reorder the manufacturing business and bring it all back to the US from China, and I think a lot of people support that. Scott Beson seems to think that tariffs are a way to collect revenue and just make money for the government. Then there's another group that just seems to think they're a way to bully other countries and get them to do whatever you want about whatever issue. And that's kind of it seems like where Trump kind of lands on this.
Speaker 3: Like I think.
Speaker 2: I assume he is more interested in looking tough and looking like he beat up Mark Carney than he is in getting some extra milk into you know, a Canadian.
Speaker 4: Visaon one more, But there's the other I think, and Vance has sometimes slirted with this is that you accept lower growth and the cost of tariffs because you reorder the economy around old school manufacturing, which where the jobs for men. And even though you give up service jobs growth, you give up all the benefits of a modern globalized economy. It like it creates a It is more about the kind of old school values of a kind of work we used to vout, we used as a society view is.
Speaker 1: Important but even though that aside, it is hard to overestimate what a dumb, fucking political move this is the number one issue for voters across the political spectrum is the cost of living. Everything's too expensive, and they don't just think it's a bad economy. They know they blame Trump for it, and specifically the blamed Trump's tariffs for it, like it is maybe his one of his most unpopular policies, certainly his most unpopular economic policy over the last several years. And now he is doubling down on it, if not in fact in a threat, at least before the midterms. So they are going to be headlines about tariffs before the midterms. And of course he's already levied tariffs on twenty billion dollars worth of Canadian goods, so that's gonna you know, that'll have an effect on things. So people are still pissed at the tariffs that he's slapped on everything before this. Now there's headlines about more tariffs and we are sixty something days out from the midterms. It's fucking nuts, not smart, Okay, So let's talk midterms. One person noticeably absent from Vance's event in Maine was Susan Collins. This is the second time she skipped out on a vance event in Maine this year. Though I'm sure she was thrilled that the Vice President told the crowd in that speech that Susan Collins is a quote dear friend who has been to his house quote probably a half dozen times.
Speaker 5: That's not a dear friend. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Collins has been trying to convince voters that she hasn't become a rubber stamp for Trump, despite voting with him ninety five percent of the time. The latest move was a statement asking the President to quote consider the negative impacts his trade war with Canada would have on maners. On the Democratic side, things have been relatively quiet since Troy Jackson locked up the nomination to replace Graham Plattner on the November ballot, but Jackson's campaign is beginning to heat up, finally getting on TV this weekend with this great thirty second spot featuring Jackson's mother.
Speaker 12: Troy was born to two teenage parents, and we struggled a lot.
Speaker 7: He didn't use that as an excuse.
Speaker 12: He used that as fuel to make things better for other people. Troy never talks about what he's done, but somebody will come up to me in the grocery store or someplace in town, and they'll say, Troy helped me get a sewer. If Troy helped me, help me get my mother into a nursing home. If you need help, he's going to be there for you. That is That's who he is.
Speaker 1: Troy Jackson. This is my mom, and I approved this message. What do you guys make of the Jackson campaign so far? And do you think he's doing enough to nationalize the race so that it is about a vote for Trump versus a check on Trump.
Speaker 5: So there was this ad.
Speaker 4: There was another ad or video he filmed just sort of sitting on a stoop talking about Elon Musk jumping money in the state.
Speaker 5: There's a there's another.
Speaker 3: The crotch mog shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was very it was very im shot from below for sure. I didn't notice that time he noticed that, but I.
Speaker 3: Thought it was innovative.
Speaker 5: It was good.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've used that technique here at BYASE America, but the U sometimes against without our consent. Well, look at the video like that's hey, guys, that's three crotches.
Speaker 1: But and then alternate name for the podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then there's others where he'd sort of say, like, according to our our enemies, but I say, let our haters be our motivators. But the uh And that's what Troy Jackson said as well on that ad. But but he also is doing a lot of like like kind of he the act the accent is the accent, and he's like, look, I don't care if I don't give a damn if you're I'm not going to do the accent. But Democrat or Republican, like I just we just want to get these good things done for people. So there is a war right now because he is coming into the campaign late, kind of introducing himself. And as he's doing that right like as much as they'd want to nationalize the race, Republican groups are dumping millions of dollars into May, calling him like a dirty politician and kind of trying to define him negatively.
Speaker 5: So I don't know what the mix should be.
Speaker 4: I think he's trying to fight a ward to find himself because he came in so late. Part of it is all the attention, like the national media should probably help nationalize this race a bit, because people boy, a lot of people stopped caring about Maine once it stopped being about Democrat on Democrat and started being about a Democrat versus Susan Collins.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that ad was good as a good biospot, but it's definitely an older version of politics, more parochial version of politics. It's like he helped me get a sewer in my community. That's not nationalizing it. That's not making it about rubber stamping the Donald Trump agenda. I'm nervous about this race. I mean, like shout out to the main Democratic Party and Troy Jackson for like turning this think from platnir to his race so quickly. That's genuinely impressive. I think it was like literally a month ago right where he accepted the moumination. I do think that does. I do think, you know, they need to go on offense every day. I mean, Jadvan's visiting name is a gift to the Jackson campaign. I saw that he was highlighting Vance, calling Collins his dear friend on his Twitter feed. I hope they're doing more with that. The Canada trade war is a huge opportunity for Troy Jackson. Like Troy Jackson's political career started because he led a group of loggers to the border of Canada and blockaded the road to protect Maine loggers from getting their jobs stolen from them.
Speaker 1: Where he's from. He's from Aroosta County, which is like the border county between Maine and Canada. Like he should, he could go there today and speaking of nationalizing the race and explain what a fifty percent tariff does to a logging down right.
Speaker 2: Some Canadian premiers, we're talking about blocking electricity to America from Canada.
Speaker 3: If that happened to me, and it would hurt them a lot. They get a lot of electricity from me.
Speaker 5: And people love electricity in Maine.
Speaker 4: I know I've seen a lot of pulling on it, but my sense of it in Maine is that they're just stands of electricity.
Speaker 1: Data Center's bad, electricity good.
Speaker 5: You know what you think about hundred.
Speaker 4: Of zero, but I think its probably ninety five five because everything is. But yeah, they're pretty pro electricity up there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh an ongoing disaster. Collins does not do anything to stop the war. Ice is hugely controversial. Sudent Collins gave a terrible interview the other day.
Speaker 3: She was asked. She was asked by someone she got like doors.
Speaker 2: Stopped at the elevator and the Senate and was like, why did you vote to send seventy billion to Ice? And she was like it was for body cameras. It's like that they never turn on when they're killing American. So there's there's a lot of opportunity there for Troy Deaction to make the campaign about Collins as a rubber stand for Trump. There's also this concerning report that Elon Musk is preparing to spend one hundred million dollars on the midterms and a lot of that will be focused on Maine.
Speaker 1: So we don't know where.
Speaker 2: That's going to go, but maybe you could jiu jitsu that back on Collins. We'll see, but you started to do I'd like to see a little more. You know, we got to be aggressive, We got to make it.
Speaker 1: About her, especially in this rate because like you look at all the polling, and this has been true since Plattner is in the race, still true today. Maine does not like Donald Trump. Maine is not happy with Donald Trump. Majorities of voters if they were going to go to the polls, they would vote against Donald Trump, and they did in twenty twenty four, they voted for Kamala Harris. And so the way Susan Collins gets elected here is and it's a little different from the other races. They're going to try to disqualify Troy Jackson. But the real emphasis in why the White House is going to like let her criticize them is showing that Susan Collins is some kind of an independent voice, right, and so she wins if enough voters are like, I really don't like what Trump's doing, but I don't really know him, and she's actually delivered from Maine and she's kind of like an independent voice, and she came out against these tariffs. I just heard her say that, you know, And so like, the only way to win this race is to tie her to Donald Trump as closely as possible and make and nationalize this race in every way possible. And I think Troy Jackson like has to do that. And that was Look, that was the criticism of Platner, one of many like after he wrapped up the nomination, as people were like, Oh, he's going after Susan Collins too hard on being corrupt and everything else and being part of an establishment in Washington, and he's not tying her to Donald Trump enough and that was fair criticism. But like that's now that's what Troy Jackson has to do as well. He has to tie her Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I'm just, I am you have to do that.
Speaker 4: While part of their strategy is to try to define Troy Jackson as unacceptable or corrupt or worse in some way, and he's unknown and part and you know, I'm sure people have in the back of their minds that Democrats went through this bruising primary with sort of these like unsavory figure in the end, and like that he's trd with that. So I'm sure it's like a difficult balance of trying to figure out how to just get people over the line of like knowing who you are that you're okay to vote it instead of you know, stable, reliable Susan Collins. So like that's I'm sure that's part of what we're seeing in the ads. And the question is how do you make moments when there's a nation, when jd Vance is there, when there's a tariff thing. While also understanding probably has to do some work to counteract what will be a deluge.
Speaker 1: About him, I do think that ninety five percent number. She voted with Trump ninety five percent of the time. It sort of reminds me of what we did to McCain and O eight. Right, there's a senator who was seen as more independent, a maverick, and all we did for the three four months of the general election was be like, this guy voted for George voted with George Bush ninety something percent of the time. I can't remember now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jdvans tried to get ahead of that by being like and sometimes she annoys me by being so independent. What a subtle line, Jack, I know, I know away.
Speaker 1: It's very obvious.
Speaker 5: What's he doing in Maine?
Speaker 4: You know, it's like she like he's campaigning for her again that she can't show up, and she.
Speaker 5: Can't show up.
Speaker 3: It's all a little bit like.
Speaker 1: It's only Danage. Only the page showed up the Republican nominee for the main second district, not even the gubernatorial nomine showed up right, Republican side for JD. Vance, So he's popular. Positive America is brought to you by Helix.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but sleep is the most important thing in my life besides my family.
Speaker 3: A really good chance that they are very connected.
Speaker 2: Thank you John for seeing me I get a good night's sleep having a great day. If I got a bad night's sleep, I am almost guaranteed to have a rough day. And good sleep starts with a right mattress. Upgrade your sleep quality with a Helix mattress. How do you know which mattress is right for you? You take the Helix Sleep Quiz and it'll match you with the perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep needs. They have over twenty mattress models so you can find the perfect model for you. Helix delivers your mattress right to your door with free shipping in the US. The Happy with Helix Guarantee offers a risk free customer first experience designed to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress so you can rest easy with seamless returns and exchanges. Plus, Helix offers a one hundred twenty night sleep trial and limited lifetime warranty. We got a Helix mattress at our house. It is unbelievably comfortable. It's in our guest bedroom. Anyone who sleeps there says they love it. I've had a multiple people say to me where'd you get that thing? And I say, Helix take the quiz ship it to your house. Couldn't be easier. Go to Helix Sleep dot com slash crooked for twenty seven percent off site wide. This offer is exclusive to Podsave America listeners. That's Helixsleep dot com slash crooked for twenty seven percent off site wide Helix Sleep dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Podsave America is brought to you by ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 5: With everyday interaction.
Speaker 2: Becoming increasingly impersonal, someone going just when extra step can be huge, Like when my doctor takes the time to call me with test results instead of sending them electronically.
Speaker 3: I feel like a human being again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice if.
Speaker 2: You're hiring great candidates can also go the extra step and tell you why they're interested in your job on ZipRecruiter. It's a way to stand out from the others in the pool, and right now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. Ziprecruiter's new feature shows you the most interested qualified candidates first, so you meet the right people faster. They're powerful matching technology finds qualified candidates quickly candidates can tell you in their own words why they're interested in your job. We've used ziprecruter here at Crooked Media, we've hired a bunch of people. It shortened the process. It helps us find great people really quickly and just cut through a lot of the slower processes and other sites out there that are just not as effective. Try ZipRecruiter and meet great candidates who will go the extra step for your job. Four out of five employers who post on zipreruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. Try it for free at zipprecruiter dot com, slash crooked that ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 1: Meet your match on ZipRecruiter. Speaking of him, he also recently weighed in on the Michigan Senate race during a visit to his hometown in Ohio. Here's what he had to say about Democratic candidate Abdul l Sayed.
Speaker 9: Now right, el say ed this guy running for Senate in Michigan. He once argued not too long ago that criticisms of sharia law were rooted in white supremacy. I'd love to go back in time and tell my papal that there's a man who claims to stand for working people who says, not only should we have Sharia law, but if you criticize it, you're a white supremacist. That's not my Papal's Democrat party, my friends.
Speaker 4: That's not my pap paus Democrat party, my friends, just a just a collection of real, authentic people in there.
Speaker 1: Also to notice how he just just kind of got in there. Not only does he think we should have Sharia law? Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 2: I was like, he makes Abdul's name sound weird like Elsayed, and he's like my p pop.
Speaker 1: I think I said pop Plot earlier. Are a lot of different names. Yeah. So Abdul responded on ms NOW by pointing out the Advance was cherry picking who gets to be defined as American and distracting from the issues. What do you think of that response? And in general, like, what is the best way for Abdul to handle all of these islamophobic attacks from people like Vance, from people like Mike Rodgers. I've seen a lot of them are just like not even like thinly veiled lies, like very obvious lies like who he just loves shari a law?
Speaker 4: He loves like this is where advance to. It's he kind of performs as like the sophisticated version of Trump, And there's.
Speaker 5: Like a way in which you take his rhetoric and you.
Speaker 4: Can find some shred that they can call it the truth somehow. But then it'll go back to the eating the cats and they're eating the.
Speaker 5: Dogs, or I'll go there.
Speaker 4: It's like he wants shari a law, which is just just just a lie, just just lying to people. I think he's doing, like I don't know what a more defiant or direct version of what he's already been saying sounds like, but like you can just say what this is. Uh, if this election is a referendum on Trump's policies and whether people want in the Senate he rubber stamp for what Trump will do, then Mike Rodgers will lose. And everything about what Republicans are doing is going to be to try to hide that or or muddy that or make noise around that. And if this is an election about about healthcare, about jobs, about someone looking out for the middle class in Michigan, about someone who will actually kind of go to the Senate to advocate on behalf of people in Michigan as opposed to for Donald Trump or whatever that or or or kind of siding with the corporations that are trying to kind of cut their taxes even more deregulate. Uh, that's what the race is about.
Speaker 3: Then the obdoable when they know.
Speaker 1: That Popov versus Sharia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his his response to JD was like Calden boring, which I like, just not equivocally true. He made a line about Peter Teele, which I don't know that most people get. Like MS NOW viewers probably get it because we're all political junkies, but most folks don't. And then you want to do this thing about how well you know, do you think Jade Vance looks his wife's parents in the eye and tells them that they are not real Americans referencing Usha Vance.
Speaker 3: And again it's like, it's.
Speaker 2: A good point that I'm not totally sure everyone would understand. It's also a point you could make about Donald Trump and Milania, by the way, because her parents are not born in the United States. I did like, there's the this is a distraction thing. I think that is true and it's valuable. I did wonder if it's missing a beat that just kind of like undercuts the suggestion that he's an extremist. It's like JD, I played fucking college lacrosse. That's not the most like Sharia compliant activity or something like something that just get that, like, I love America, I'm an American, I grew up playing high school football. I'm from Michigan. My name is of Duel, I'm a doctor, I'm a union member. Like enough of this fear mongering crap.
Speaker 5: And he does that.
Speaker 4: He says like I'm a dual from I've always been Abdul from Michigan.
Speaker 1: It's also, yeah, distraction is sort of the right ballpark, but you got to kind of put a finer point on it by being like, like every answer has to go back to Mike Rogers at this point, and like Mike Rogers and Jade Vans and all these people, they're saying all the shit because they have nothing to say about why everything's so expensive in Michigan. They have nothing to say about what a disaster Donald Trump has been from Michigan over the last four years. And like they so they're just gonna make this entire race about Sharia law and Hassan Piker and all this other bullshit because they have nothing else to say about anything that you care about, you know, and I think that like he's and Mike and they may know that it's a pretty weak argument that Mike Rodgers is just going to go to the fucking Senate and have another another two years of doing whatever Donald Trump tells him to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the thing about the usha point is like, so he's a hypocrite, right, right, And like it's like it's just this is sometimes it's just like hey, like stop, you're not gonna win on points.
Speaker 5: It's like like that's a logical.
Speaker 4: Argument about how you should like what he's racist towards you, but not towards his wife. Like I don't like, it's sort it's it is beside the point and just sort of done with sort of hypocrisy arguments are kind of well what about this?
Speaker 1: You know, Well it's luring and their their goal is to sort of lure you into an argument about identity and culture and race. Right. This is like you know, Bernie tweeted today too, like well, you know you talk about us on Piker, but you know, Jake Laying is in Michigan the January sixth Rioter, and he's got a connection to Mike Rodgers, which is is true, you know. And then Mike Rodgers is like, well, I'll disavow him. I'll disavow Jake Lane, but also will Abdul disavowed Piker. And now we're like in a back and forth about you.
Speaker 3: Know, disavow off.
Speaker 1: I know it's a classic disavow off.
Speaker 2: I think Lamer is like a mayor's bet on a sports game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there is something about that, like.
Speaker 3: The other side of it, right, Oh, were this these steaks from Chicago, Philly whatever?
Speaker 5: I wasn't listening.
Speaker 3: I was waiting for my turn to talk.
Speaker 4: What I was trying to What I was gonna say is yes, there's like the tit for tat for how you respond to these things, right, and and then there's sort of the proactive rhetoric, whether it's in responding to the song Piker thing, which he did, right, he's not just ignoring it, he is responding to it. And then what you were doing proactively to address those kinds of things. And I will say, like I read the statement he put out in response to the backlash to a comment from Hassan Piker from his fucking stream because we've all decided that Hassan Piker is the main character in American politics. You have Fox News on He's there's every third figure. It's just it's Hassan Trump and then just a socialist that choice in at random basically maybe a trans swimmer. I'll get in there, but that's it. That's what's on Fox News.
Speaker 1: And so like his respite well is also in the third way, and some other Democrats and and DSA people, right, like a lot of people are invested in making his on the main character of the binterms.
Speaker 4: But if you look at that statement, it like, I think all the sentiment inside of the statement is good, but it's very like it's very careful, right, it's very careful statement and not like that there needs to be if he's going like if he's trying to prove to the Jewish voters in Michigan that he would like to come home despite having had thirty or sixty million, sixty million dollars with ads dumped on his head, then like the same language that he would use the defiant language about saying this is why we need medicare for all, or like this is why we need to take on the corporations. Like that level of defiance is certainly welcome in describing anti Semitism, right, It like like it's a very it's a very kind of careful language as opposed to something that's just like this is more more in the style that he's using on every other issue.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 1: There's also some interesting news about Roger. Over the weekend, ACTS reported that allies of Rogers asked APAC to rethink their involvement in the Michigan general election, urging the group to quote get involved without putting the group's name front and center. The New York Times followed up with reporting of their own, noting that quote, a PAC leaders have privately voiced unease with a plan that makes APACK a peer, as if it is hiding. None of this has stopped Rogers from fundraising with APAK. He attended three APAC fund raisers in LA over the weekend and a fourth on Monday. What do you guys make of the request from the Rogers camp?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it tells you a lot about how toxic the APAC brand has become politically. I think ultimately what they're doing there is saying just don't spend on your own behalf, funnel your money to some other superpack and have them spend it for you, which is what APAC will probably do, although it does make APAC look incredibly weak if they can't even run ads, although they normally don't run ads in.
Speaker 3: A general election.
Speaker 2: They usually just screw around in Democratic primaries taking out progressives, so this is new for them, but it's a punch in the gut.
Speaker 4: But also a Pack has run tons of ads under the names of other organizations and not Their ads during this primary had nothing to do with Israel at all. They were about sort of acchoosing him, of being anti women and other things like that. So like they already are running a campaign which at least for most people that are trying to kind of make it about other issues and not about a PAC.
Speaker 1: It seems like they wanted the headline the Rogers campaign. They wanted a headline out there to say that they are resisting a pack because they know that it's toxic. Right like that, I think that, I'm sure the ones that leaked it.
Speaker 5: That that is good.
Speaker 4: I guess like the politics are a little simpler for a Republican and a Democrat, right Like, I don't totally understand why he wouldn't want.
Speaker 1: I think because I think that it has become so toxic that it is not just toxic in a Democratic primary now, but APAC is toxic in a general election.
Speaker 4: Right, right, I guess I guess I want to understand is who are the voters. I guess there are there are some Republican voters might just stay home, right because any right that are.
Speaker 1: Like independents, spe voters, a pack is extremely unpopular with independent butvoters. So, but I think it's I think, you know, the important thing is he's still doing fundraisers with them, like he's talking. It's it's a double hit because he is he's still allied with APAC and doing fundraisers, but he's and he's also talking out both sides of his mouth.
Speaker 3: He just wants them to hide the spending.
Speaker 5: I mean, he wants the wants.
Speaker 2: He wants UDP to cut a thirty million dollar check to name your fake you know, like the cryptic fair Shake I'm crypto fund or whatever it is, and.
Speaker 3: Have them run the ads.
Speaker 1: The Times had another piece this weekend uh with the with the headline Angry Ohio voters could turn their state Purple Again, which details how Ohio's frustrations over data centers, rising prices, the war and around could put not just the Senate seat, but the governor's race and a series of house races in play for Democrats. Nan Whaley, a former Dayton mayor who ran for governor in twenty two, told The Times, I've just not seen people this pissed. What do you guys think too good to be true? We turn in Ohio Blue. I mean, I'm surprised at how bullish Nate Silver was on Ohio.
Speaker 3: We talked about this the last episode.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, Jim Arnacci, the former congressman, posted something on the social media where he said, you can get mad at me for posting this, but I'm just delivering the message. The biggest issues for independence are Iran war, gas prices, food prices, utility bills.
Speaker 1: Rent.
Speaker 2: Okay, So today Trump is further dragging out the Irn war, maybe indefinitely. That keeps gas prices up, That impacts food prices because of fertilizer costs. He started a trade war with Canada, which is going to jack up food and maybe utility costs. And then Trump threatened to veto his only accomplishment on housing. So that wasn't that wasn't his finest moment.
Speaker 1: Also, Dan Wyley had another quote in that piece said, you know it comes down to you hate everything. You can't be mad at the Democrats because they don't control anything. Yeah, it's like, honestly, that is that's what might get us over the line. It's like at some point, you know, there's there's no one left to blame but the Republicans that have had complete control over most of Ohio, yep and and now the country. So last, but not least on the House side. The Times had another story that raised eye brows, the private meeting between House Minority Leader Hakem Jeffries and Jared Kushner, where the two discussed quote, potential areas of common ground. This comes as Democrats reportedly prepared to launch numerous investigations into the Trump administration should they win back the House in November. What'd you guys think about Jared and Hakem meeting? What kind of common ground?
Speaker 5: I think maybe in the West Bank.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, look, this triggered me deeply because I obviously I am not a big Jared Kushner family. My fear, big picture is that. And this is not really about Hakim Jeffries, but he's a part of this. The Democrats will, once they get the gavel and have oversight authorities, waste time with like sternly worded letters and requests for things instead of just subpoenas right out of the gate. And those demands for documents and oversight have to include the Trump family and the Kushner family and Jared's firm, and Kushner is going to have very powerful allies calling around to Democrats. Maybe they're a peace well that he's friends with, who are rich people in New York or Miami who are also donors to Democrats and saying go easy on Jared. He's a moderating force. He's one of the good guys. Look at what he did with the Abraham Accords, which we all have seen have brought peace to the Middle East ever since they were put into place. And remember Corey Booker voted to confirm Charles Kushner, Jared's dad, as ambassador to France because of their pre existing relationship. So I think that's why those reports were triggering on a substantive level and on just a political level, It's like, why would you take this meeting now, it just doesn't make any sense. There's nothing you're going to work on, absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my reaction was like, what is the common ground with Jared Kushner. He's not a housing policy expert, he has no government job. Here's no government job.
Speaker 5: He's just a private, private citizen with a lot of interests.
Speaker 1: If you want to talk with the White House about finding common ground on cost of living, go talk to someone in the Domestic Policy Council, talk to the President, the speaker that we talk to the president, right, and maybe Jeffrey you know, and the White House, I guess through Jared is pricing in that you know, Democrats are going to take the House, and Jefferies wants a channel to the White House that isn't Trump, which is like, that's fine, but again, that's not Jared Kushner. He doesn't have a government job. And you can't you can't take a meeting like that quietly and then be surprised when the reaction is, you know, a signal about how confrontational that you're going to be over the next two years. It's like it's just like, it's what do you think you're going to do that in quiet meet with Jared, and then everyone's going to just assume the best intentions.
Speaker 4: Well, this is this is I think the deeper problem, which is and Dan wrote a good message box about why there's so much consternation around this, and it is to Tommy's point that people are afraid that as speaker, he won't be standing up to Trump enough, that he'll be too conciliatory. But like, I don't under what is your theory of power? In a second, in a in the if you're the Speaker of the House, you have the Senate, you don't have the Senate. Is it about launching investigations? Is it about a publicly defiant posture. But you're back channeling with the administration. Are you going to be drawing lines? Like if you do what I think certainly democratic voters want to see from a democratic House majority, there will be no successful working relationship.
Speaker 3: With the Trump administration.
Speaker 4: You will be doing subpoenas, you will be doing investigations. You will be trying every day to get to the bottom of deeply embarrassing stories about corruption, ties to the Epstein files, failures, chaos.
Speaker 3: Abuses of power like that is what every day will be about.
Speaker 4: Trump will hate you. Trump will want to destroy you. Trump will be saying you should be in jail. He will be putting the DOJ on you. So what exactly is Jared, who we already did a version of this in the first term, ineffective, ineffective, effeckless, careless Jared going to do for you? What is your back channel with this guy who didn't preserve the Paris Accords, really didn't do much of anything going to get you, certainly before the election, let alone after.
Speaker 2: And now he spends his time spending billions of Saudi dollars on god knows what. He's trying to colonize an island off of the coast of Albania that's not going very well. He's constantly meeting with a Russian oligarch. Who is this economic sort of channel to putin, Like, everything Jared's doing in Trump two point zero is really really sketchy and not something you want to be affiliated with in any way, shape or form, in something that.
Speaker 3: Demands a lot of scrutiny, a lot of scrutiny.
Speaker 1: Truck Shream is probably pretty happy about the media because he's not him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't do this.
Speaker 2: One's tiptoe run, all right, the other kushioners buying the Lakers probably.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, yeah, with Bob Bob Aker. All right, one last thing before my interview with Seth Moulton. After months of delays, the Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy, finally released his YouTube series The Great American Road Trip. All six episodes are out now. Each opens with a disclaimer that no tax dollars were used to fund the show. Instead, there are several corporate sponsors, many of which share a theme if you can, if you can pick up on it, Boeing, Toyota, Shell, United Airlines, Royal Caribbean Enterprise, rent a Car Lift, and the US Travel Association. The team put together some low lights for you to enjoy so you don't have to watch the rest.
Speaker 13: Here they are And as I say, I've been carrying them luggage ever since.
Speaker 1: I carry your babies and you carry my luggage.
Speaker 8: If I do get it, I feel like you can't say no to Harvard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well me and mom can say no.
Speaker 13: They have professionalized figuring out how they can take good young girls like you and I think corrupt their minds.
Speaker 8: I went to an extremely conservative school in high school, and I'm part of an extremely conservative family. And then if I go to a liberal setting, that's a way more rounded education than if I go to a conservative high school and then go to a conservative college, that's just being kind of one sided anyway.
Speaker 13: Like they're so good at it. You'll see young people go to a conservative school with a conservative family, and they get perverted and controlled.
Speaker 1: And now I controlled the trains lot, not me. The house was set up for the two of us room together, real wing will. Though it was fun, it was good.
Speaker 3: We called her bitch I did. I did.
Speaker 13: Not dancing even poorly is really introyable.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll have a little dance in our human horror. Here a rockstart for doing the show trip thank you.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, oh boy, dude.
Speaker 3: I had not watched that yet. That was troubling, I really am.
Speaker 4: It's so funny this idea that like there's a kind of this idea in the kind of whatever the conservative gen x boom er mine that the reason their kids turned against them is because they went to colleges where they were as if like.
Speaker 1: Young girls had their minds perverted.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, meanwhile, you you look at the discourse around college, you're like, hey, we got this problem. Our professors don't seem to be reading anything that's submitted to them anymore. Also, the kids are using chat gybt in the classroom. No one seems to be doing any of the work anymore. It just seems like I don't know that they're very good at indoctrinating us to believe in anything, let alone specific liberal ideas.
Speaker 2: Its like Alex Jones, they turned the frogs gay, you know, with the water kind of stuff. That poor First of all, this poor kid like doesn't want to you having this conversation on camera for it to be released to She's totally liked her a total of sixteen thousand viewers so far and YouTube going great for Sean Duffy.
Speaker 3: Uh what what a weird Well.
Speaker 1: Also, it's like it's not even like she's saying I want to rebel against my conservative upbringing. She's basically just like, I'd love sort of a well rounded point of view. You know, I've got the conservative point of view, and I had high school and now i'd like to, you know, a well rounded liberal point of view. Study's like no, absolutely not me, and mom will say no, it's the like this, I'm like a slap mom on the ass.
Speaker 4: Is infantilization, Like there's like there's like, oh, would you like you you will be like why do you think your kids don't have the ability to hear an opposing idea?
Speaker 3: Like what what do you?
Speaker 1: What? What did this?
Speaker 4: Like? She'ld be an adult, you know, young adult person going to college a time where people, by the way, time you are able to serve in the military, you're allowed to do all kinds of things in a vote, and you don't believe they can handle a college professor telling you something liberal.
Speaker 3: Like what how little respect do you have for people?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: You did road rules?
Speaker 3: Well, what are you lecturing your child about there? Like their learning environment? You went real world road rules? The challenge like how you and mom met?
Speaker 2: It's okay to go out and live your life and be around people who are different than you. Maybe you'll learn something.
Speaker 1: What a potential next White House pre Secretary Rachel Campo stuffy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, is Scott Jennings coming on a little too strong?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Trump said something nice about him last week when he was asked about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was very like cursoris He's good.
Speaker 2: It's funny because there was the there was the Scott Jennings is in the running, he had a dinner with Susie Wiles sort of news cycle, which was immediately followed by the Scott Jennings is overdoing it. He's terrible, The White House hates him news cycles. So you can see a lot of posturing and the mediates not at all.
Speaker 3: Clear to me where Trump is heading.
Speaker 1: We'll see up next my interview with Congressman Seth Moulton, and also we are currently out to Ed Market's team as well, hoping to get him on ahead of the primary that's up next.
Speaker 2: Today's show is sponsored by Strawberry dot me. You're probably no stranger to seeing self professed career coaches advertise their services on social media. It can all feel a little at hoc, a little vague, and might leave be wondering is anyone being helped by this? With Strawberry not me, you don't have to wonder, because hundreds of their satisfied clients have left glowing reviews about what professional coaching has done for them. Here's a little sampling of those reviews. My coach was amazing, the experience was transformative. I landed a new job within weeks. And how about this one. It helped transform me back into a high powered leader following my extended maternity leaf. It was that you when so many people go out of their way to write a positive review about something, you know that something is special. So if you're feeling stuck your work, do what tens of thousands of people have already done. Go to Strawberry dot me slash crooked and claim fifty percent off your first coaching session. That's Strawberry dot me slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Seth Moulton, welcome back to Plaise America.
Speaker 7: It's always an honor to be on the pods, So thank you very much for having me back.
Speaker 1: John, of course, So your primary against Senator ed Marky is in a week. The only three polls taken in August have you down twenty eight fifteen thirty three in the most recent poll. Do you think the public polling is all wrong or do you think you can make up a lot of ground by next Tuesday? What does your internal polling show? Internal polls have this very very close.
Speaker 7: I think the polling has been wildly off in just about every primary across the country, and the energy that we're hearing on the ground the numbers that we're seeing on the doors is incredibly positive.
Speaker 6: People want change.
Speaker 7: But at the end of the day, this will be about who turns out for this election, and we have a great turnout operation that will help the win.
Speaker 1: Your central argument is about the need for generational change, which has already worked in several Democratic primaries the cycle, though usually it's been a young progressive defeating an old or older moderate. I know you called yourself progressive in the last debate, but do you think it's fair to say, would you call yourself more moderate than Ed Markey? No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 7: I think there are two progressives in this race. And if you look at our policies, I mean, first of all, the center market and I pretty much agree on policies. There's really very little where we disagree fundamentally. Some of my policies are actually more aggressive and progressive than his, like my affordability agenda.
Speaker 1: For example.
Speaker 7: But you know, there's no policy change that I've made in this race. This is always who I've been it. You know, takes some time for people to get to know you. And as I've been doing town halls all across the state, I mean, I think people have seen how committed I am to change, because it's not progressive without progress. And at the end of the day, Senator Markie has been advocating for a lot of things that he's advocated for a very long time, and yet fundamentally there are a lot.
Speaker 6: Of problems that are just getting worse.
Speaker 7: Housing costs keep going up, energy bills are twice a national average here in Massachusetts. And it's just people admit that the status quo approach is not working. And so I've proposed some transformative ideas to address these things, and I think that's what voters want right now.
Speaker 1: Just to look at one policy difference, like Marki's for a Medicare for all, single payer version of Medicare for all, You're for a public option that lets people keep employer coverage. There's a good amount of evidence out there that even a robust public option is the more popular, more achievable option, even though it's more moderate. Why isn't your argument that your positions, some of your positions may be more moderate, but they're also more likely to win and pass and easily achieved.
Speaker 7: Look, I think that achievable is absolutely part of the argument. In fact, there is a not bed in the Boston Globe today that said that Molten's policies are achievable and Marquees are not. I mean, he was re elected in twenty twenty on a promise to pass Medicare for all in six years. He also promised to pass the Green New Deal, and you have voted President on it himself when it came before the Senate. It's got fewer co sponsors today than it did when he first introduced it. So again, it's not it's not progressive without actual progress. And on this, you know, the question of healthcare for all, we both support universal healthcare. In fact, I've gone so far as to say it should be a human right, not even debatable, whether you're a citizen and an immigrant, you know, homeless on the street. It absolutely is a human right. I think that's good for everybody in America. But I actually want to get it done. And that's why I stand with President Obama, which just says, yes, you can have Medicare if you want it. Literally, everybody can have Medicare if they want. But if you're a union that's fought for years to get a great healthcare plan that you really enjoy, you can keep it and I made a commitment to keep going to the VA from a healthcare when I was elected, because we know the VA has got problems and I wanted to see them firsthand. There are a lot of vets who want to continue being able to go to the VA as well.
Speaker 1: What's your specific argument as to why Marky's age matters. Is it that he specifically isn't up to the job because of his age, or that fifty years is just too long for anyone regardless of age.
Speaker 7: I think it's I think it's three things. I mean, first of all, it's not personal, you know. I mean, it's kind of against the idea, this establishment idea that one person ought to be able to hang on to a seat in Congress for fifty years, even if the world is you know, passing him by. So it's kind of this like establishment idea that the personal power is more important than public service that as a VET I really resent. The second point, though, is that if we win the Senate, John, it will almost certainly be by just one vote, and we cannot afford to have someone miss a vote due to a medical issue or anything else and potentially have that turn into another conservative Trump appointed Supreme Court Justice. The stakes are just too high, and we should learn the lessons of Diane Feinstein and Joe Biden and Ruth Bader Ginsburg and of course on the other side of the aisle, Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and recognize that there's just simply a risk when you re elect someonet at eighty he'd be closer to ninety at the end of his next term than eighty. But the third reason, which I think is really resonating right now, is that you've got to have a new generation of leaders to take on a new generation of challenges and opportunities. And in the last debate, we were asked about AI and Senator Marky explained to Massachusetts that he can't tell the apps on his phone or iPad a part. He doesn't know which ones use AI and which ones don't.
Speaker 6: And that's tough.
Speaker 7: After the debate, he tried to clean it up by comparing AI to an automobile and saying we ought to regulate it the way we regulate seat belts. I mean, how are we going to make this technology safe if the senators don't even understand what it does?
Speaker 1: What specific regulations do you favor for AI.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, we ought to learn from all the lessons of messing up the regulations for social media and actually, Senator market he talked about how he's been the architect of some of those regulations. His nineteen ninety six Telecom deregulation bill opened the door for big tech to come in make billions and billions of dollars but have absolutely no accountability for things on the Internet. Now he's tried to walk back some of that, but we all know the internet is unsafe. I mean, I've got a five year old and seven year old at home. I dread the time when they get on social media and we know that their suicide risk goes up. That the harm that can have and just from being on social media, it's very real, and Congress has totally failed to regulate it. So Number one, we've got to make AI safe, and that means holding the AI companies actually accountable. Number Two, we do have to win the AI race against China because we don't want to have zero accountability here in the United States because everyone starts using models from overseas. And then the third thing I'd say is that there will be job displacement. Now we don't know exactly when it will happen or what will it will be, So rather than try to anticipate where that's going, Like remember a few years ago and Democrats said, oh, we'll just retrain the coal miners to be computer programmers and then they'll be fine. I mean, even if that was realistic back then, these are like the first jobs that are getting automated out of existence by AI. So I think we have to have almost a FEMA like disaster fund approach to dealing with job loss, a federal fund to say, look, if every paralegal in their country loses their job within a month, we're going to help. We're going to bail them out until they can find new jobs. I think that going to be critical as well.
Speaker 1: You mentioned China. I feel like this constant tension with the development of AI is someone proposes regulation, someone proposes slowing it down. The counter argument is, well, yes, we want safeguards and we want regulations, but we can't let China beat us. So it's used as an argument to just keep pushing ahead, Like what is the balance between you know, making sure that we're not all using you know, Chinese AI models, or even if we do nothing about it. Even if we stopped day tomorrow here for some reason in the US, obviously it's still going to be with us. It's the rest of the world is going to move ahead. So, like, how do you regulate AI without, you know, letting China win this race.
Speaker 7: I think it's a great question, John, And this really is the administration's argument, right They basically say we shouldn't have any rules. In fact, we should just do it exactly what all the AI executives tell us to do, because they're the experts and they're going to win this race against China. I do not think these two things are mutually exclusive at all. I mean, no one wants to fundamentally use a model at the end of the day that is unsafe. In fact, there's a good chance that governments will just shut things down that are unsafe. So there's no reason why the winning model shouldn't also be the safe model. I also think that the wrong way to do it is for the federal government to say, Okay, we're going to just make all the rules, because we all know we're not going to keep up, like we're not going to keep up with the technology. That's why I talk about accountability. I think the big problem with social media and big tech companies is that there's just no accountability whatsoever. If I were just starting to see big tech care because there have been successful lawsuits for the first time against them for the things that show up on their platforms. We've got to make it clear from the very beginning that these AAI companies are actually liable, and that will force the kind of self regulation that we've never seen appropriately with social media, but also importantly will be able to keep up and therefore stay competitive with China and other countries around the world.
Speaker 1: Bernie Sanders recently wrote a letter to AI leaders like Sam Altman, Dario Amiday, and Mark Zuckerberg following the news that their companies lost control of their AI models. First it was Open Ai, and then Claude and then Anthropic and Meta said the same thing. So the letter said, quote, in the interest of humanity, stand by your words, pause AI development. It is not too late to avoid disaster. Stop building machines that humans cannot control. Do you agree with Bernie that these companies should pause AI development?
Speaker 7: I mean no, John, As you said, like the world is going to continue developing AI, I mean China may only be a few months behind us, depending on who you talk to. So just pausing it is not smart for the United States, for I mean, look, do you trust, at the end of the day, the United States of America or Communist China to make AI safe? I certainly trust the United States of America as many as many problems as we have back here. But again, we have to make big tech accountable, and so fundamentally I agree with Bernie that they are not doing enough to make models safe and to show accountability for their behavior right now. But the answer is not pretending that this is not going to happen. Bernie is also got to build on for a moratorium on data centers.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that? Would you support a moratorium on building data centers for a year until or longer until you know, we can figure this out and people in more local communities and states can have more of a say in where these data centers are going.
Speaker 7: I think it should be up to local control. Like I think that you know, people in communities that are going to be impacted by data centers, both negatively and positively, you know, should make these decisions. And there are some communities that want data centers because of the tax revenue. There are a lot of communities right here in Massachusetts that are really nervous about them jacking up electricity prices when electric bills are already way too high here in Massachusetts. There are a lot of people who are worried about pollution, you know, for good reason. So my view is that this should be this should be local control. These should be local communities making decisions. The federal government should not be forcing data centers down everybody that anybody's throat. But at the end of the day, when when there are local communities that say, no, we want this business, we want this here, we want the construction jobs, a lot of unions are very in favor of these data centers because all the jobs that they bring. Then it's a good thing for our data to sit in data centers in the United States and not in data centers overseas in China, where we know that they do not respect privacy, they don't have proper controls over intellectual property. I think it's already a problem that big tech companies and AI companies use our data without our permission or any any benefit back to us. But it could get even worse if there's absolutely no control over our data because it sits overseas.
Speaker 1: There was another odd moment in an earlier August debate that I wanted to ask you about. At one point, you asked Marky why he'd take a meeting with a lobbyist on behalf of Jeffrey Epstein. This was based on a twenty fifteen email in the Epstein files where colleague of a lobbyist named Bob Crowe said he'd had an initial briefing with Marky about getting the son of a former Senegalese president out of prison. Epstein paid for that lobbying, but both Markey and Crowe say the meeting never happened. Three independent fact checks found the claim mostly false or unsupported. There's no evidence that the briefing with Markey took place, or that Marky had any idea Epstein was involved. You also took two thousand dollars from Bob crow which you later returned. But considering all that, do you still think it was fair to suggest that Marky took the meeting and did a favor for one of Epstein's pals.
Speaker 7: Well, look, I mean, if you look at the the email, the meeting happened, and it's not a prize that Senator Market would sadly not tell the truth about this, because he's been lying a lot in this campaign. I mean, he said that he does not take corporate pack money, and he does. He said that he does not take fossil fuel lobbyist money, and he does. The Boston Globe and the Boston Herald have documented these things. So unfortunately, he's been lying to his supporters throughout this campaign, and it's not a surprise that he would be dishonest about a meeting that emails clearly documented occurred. But my question was actually very simple. It was simply just why would you take a meeting? Because this actually does go to the heart of an issue that I'm hearing all across Massachusetts, which is that they don't people don't see the Senator. I've done over fifty town halls across the state where anyone can come. It was like hundreds of individual events, but anyone can come to over fifty public town halls and ask me any question that they want, and I often hear we never see the Senator. I've never been able to get a meeting with him. I've never been able.
Speaker 6: To ask a question.
Speaker 7: So this simple question I asked is why would you take this meeting on behalf of a lobbyist working for Epstein and not and not take meetings with constituents? And that is representative of things that I'm hearing on the trail.
Speaker 1: But it's possible that it was just a you know, a call between this lobbyist or a colleague of the lobbyists and Marque's staff, and Markey had nothing to do with it or had no knowledge of them.
Speaker 7: And the email didn't say it brief to staff. I mean, I've worked in the congressional office for ten years. A big difference between Oh, we brief Molten's staff or we brief Moulton, right, I mean, it's pretty it's it's pretty clear. But you know, look, he could at least return the money.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 7: The point is a lot of voters ask like, why can't we get access to our senator? And this just goes to the heart of that question, Like the wealthy and the well connected, even if they're connected to a convicted felon, seemed to be able to get meetings or briefings or whatever you want to call it with senators, and yet ordinary people in Massachusetts can't, and that's a change that I would like to bring if I'm elected Centator. We've actually won as many Democracy Wards awards from the Congressional Management Foundation as I think any other office on Capitol Hill, and including ones for transparency and constituent services. I mean, literally the best office in the country for constituent services, and that means people can come to us at all times for anything. In fact, we do get a lot of constituent services requests from other congressional districts aince they say I can't get an answer from that Congressman or that Senator, so we're coming to you. And I think that's the kind of service and the kind of access that people in Massachusetts want and deserve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to ask because obviously, like corruption is a huge issue thanks to the administration and Donald Trump, but also it's just you can tell people are sort of fed up with some of the things that you're talking about, just broadly with Congress and Washington in general. Sort of reminds me of two thousand and six and when Democrats took the House and it was an anti corruption message. You know, back then there was sort of a series of proposed reforms if Democrats took back Congress, what they could do on ethics and lobbying. I remember when I first started working for then Senator Obama, you know, spearheaded some of those as well. Have you thought about legislation, ethics reforms, lobbying reforms, anti corruption legislation that you'd like to pass if you're senator. And additionally, even if there are things that you can't pass legislation you can't pass, just sort of rules for your own office that you want to put into places as senator.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely so.
Speaker 7: First of all, I was the first office on Capitol Hill, House or Senate to ban prediction market trading for me or my staff, and that's set an example that other offices have followed. But that's a great example of something that we've already done internally, and those bands should of course be passed into law. I also think that we need campaign finance reform, and we've tried for years to get it. As you said, people have proposed this for a long time, it's been difficult with the Supreme Court. A novel approach that I've been pursuing is to tie campaign finance reform to term limits and The reason why this is an interesting combination is that campaign finance reform tends to be more popular with Democrats, term limits tend to be more popular with Republicans in Congress, and yet both are widely popular with the American public.
Speaker 6: So we could make a compromise.
Speaker 7: Each side could eat a little crow, and we could do something that would I think be fundamentally good for Congress and raise our esteem in the minds of the general public. But it has been proven difficult to pass without some sort of grand bargain like that. I've also co sponsored three Congressional stock trading bands, and I think that I've also disclosed my whole family's taxes in this race, which Center Marquee has not. I think that kind of transparence is just helpful. And of course some of these were unwritten rules, like we had disclosure of taxes amongst all presidential candidates until Trump came along and just refused to do it. I think one of the biggest lessons that Democrats have to learn after the second Trump administration. We clearly didn't learn well enough after the first. Is it just pretending we can go back to normal?
Speaker 6: Isn't enough?
Speaker 7: We need these kinds of fundamental reforms so that the next person like Donald Trump doesn't come and just completely abuse the system once again.
Speaker 1: You hit a line in one of the last debates that said, if you're happy with your electricity built tonight, vote for the Senator expand on that argument a little bit for me, like, what is the thing Massachusetts doesn't have because Ed Markey has held this seat.
Speaker 7: It's just innovation and change and an urgency to get these problems fixed. Because electric electric bills are not a new problem, and we've had a high electricity rates, high high gas prices for a long time in Massachusetts and they haven't been addressed. And in the last debate, Senator Marquee was he thought, rather indignant, and he trotted out a list of things that he's done on this issue, and I said, look, Senator, I respect your work on this.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 7: In fact, I've supported many of those measures myself. But we've just got to admit that it's not enough. When our electric bills are twice the national average. It clearly hasn't gotten that done. On housing, for example, there are a lot of tweaks in the system that have been proposed and worked on for a while, but housing prices are skyrocketing in Massachusetts, and one out of three people here in this state thought about leaving just last year because it's unaffordable to live here. So I've proposed a totally transformative initiative to make it faster than driving to get around Massachusetts by turning our commuter rail system into a fast regional rail system like they have throughout Europe. It would finally connect north and south Stasian, so every train from the north would flow through to the South and west. I mean, I'm down in the Cape right now. It took like two and a half hours to get down here. That trips to be from Salem in like forty five minutes right now. This has been shown by our recent Harvard study to take one hundred and fifty five million cars off the road and spur hundreds of thousands of units of new housing. In fact, this is one of the things that the Globe recently cited as a really achievable project that we just need next generation leadership to get done. And Centatra Markie has proposed improving rail service to western Massachusetts. His proposal would have rail service in two and a half hours, which is actually slower than the same trains applied the route in nineteen fifty. That's just not the change that we need to address these problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, like, I mean, you know, you've said that a lot of your policy views and an ideology are similar to Markey. There's obviously a generational argument there, but like, specifically, what do you think a Senator Moulton actually delivers in the next six years that a Senator Marquee does not or would not. Where would you guys differ in terms of Okay, a vote comes in the Senate and you'd vote one way and market would vote another way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, great question, because we really do agree on most policies. Like, for example, we were just talking about housing. I mean, we obviously both agree that we need to bring housing costs down. I just admit that what we've been trying hasn't worked and we need to do something much more transformative like this regional rail initiative. I don't think that really translates into a different vote in the United States Senate. But I'll tell you something that does, and that is voting for Chuck Schumer. When I started this campaign, I said from day one, I'm not going to vote for Chuck Schumer. I'm not going to run on a platform of next generation leadership here in Massachusetts and then go to Washington and support Senator Schumer. Senator Marquee not only supports Senator Schumer, but just took sixty two thousand dollars from the Senator out of the Senate Victory Fund, the fund that's supposed to flip seats from red to blue in Michigan, in Ohio and Alaska and Maine and other states across the country where we to flip seats to win back the majority. Senator Mark he took that money out of the Victory Fund. The Democrats of the across the country have contributed to it to bail out his own campaign, and so that's.
Speaker 6: A huge difference in approach.
Speaker 7: I think, you know, John, I've been working for years to do the opposite, to actually use my platform in Massachusetts to raise millions of dollars for candidates across the country through my Serve America initiative that's recruited, mentored, and supported amazing leaders like Mikey Cheryl, who the governor of New Jersey, who just endorsed my campaign, Andy Kim, Melissa Slockin, in the Senate, Governor Spamberger, and real leaders in the House like Laura Underwood, Johnna Hayes, Chrissy Holahan, Pat Ryan. You know, these are people who all flipped seats, and I think that a Senator in a safe blue seat like Massachusetts should really be invested in winning majorities across the country, not taking money out of the fund to win majorities across the country to cling to power for another six years.
Speaker 1: Last question for you, set marque Aside. You spent a couple of years arguing that this party is broken. Democrats are heading into a mid term environment that's very good for the party, but the brand is still underwater. If you had to name the single thing that Democrats are getting wrong right now that has nothing to do with anyone's age, what is it?
Speaker 7: Is that people know one thing about the Democratic Party and it's that we're opposed to Trump, and that's it. They don't know what we actually stand for, and that's opposition, but it's not leadership. And I think when people are scared and hurting, as so many are across the country today, with cost skyrocketing and MAGA controlling everything in Washington and Trump just completely reckless and disgusting, frankly, as this racist president. People don't want just opposition, they want leadership. It's an interesting way that I've sort of illustrated this in my town halls where I'll say, okay, ask everyone here, several hundred people, whatever it is, how many of you are opposed to Trump's immigration enforcement? And of course every hand in the room goes up. Right then I say, how many of you can tell me what Democrats immigration policy is. I've asked this question of thousands of people and you don't get a single hand. And this isn't some idle or esoteric issue. I mean, this is the number one issue today with Ice terrorizing blue communities all across the country. It was one of the top two issues in the twenty four election that we lost across the board. And yet for Democrats not be able to say what our immigration policy is. Now people are going to ask, okay, seth, what's your immigration policy? Three quick points? Prosecute Ice. Yes, it should be abolish. The institution is completely broken. Immigration enforcement should go back into the Department of Justice. But it's not enough just to say poof you go away. We need to hold these people accountable again. That's a big mistake we made not doing enough of that accountability after the first Trump administration. Number two, create an immigration system that actually incentivizes people to come here legally, not illegally, because for many people they find it just easier to walk across the border than actually go through the bureaucracy to become a citizen. And then number three, we need a pathway to citizenship for families and kids who are already here and part of our communities. Now, those are three broad points. We could spend you know, forty five minutes debating the details, but the point is there. You go like, that's my immigration policy and you know my experiences. You get a lot of nodding heads. But when most Democrats can't even articulate how we're going to fix this problem, it leaves a lot of people feeling that the party is out of touch.
Speaker 6: And I think we just got to get back in touch.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: Last thing I'll say is I ran for Congress because I saw the consequences of failed leadership in Washington serving in the war on the ground in Iraq, a war that Center Marquee voted for. There are a lot of people making decisions in Washington that we're totally out of touch with those of us who were fighting in the sand and the mud in that.
Speaker 6: War of choice.
Speaker 7: And I think there are a lot of people across America who feel the same way today that Washington and these establishment people who've been there forever are really out of touch with the everyday struggles of America, and the party that can better demonstrate that we're listening, we are hearing, we are responding with real leadership to fix those problems on the ground. That's the party that's going to win. I'm confident that Democrats can get there, but I'm not sure we're there completely. And that's why I've been willing to challenge the party establishment, as I'm doing in this race.
Speaker 1: Seth Moulton, thank you as always for joining Pizave America. Enjoy the cape. If you pass through North Reading, tell people I said hi, Thanks, It's.
Speaker 7: Been an honor to work for your family and friends in North Redding.
Speaker 1: That's very much my district. Yes, all right, take care, take care. Thanks again. Thanks to Congressman Moulten for joining Dan and I will be back on Friday. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna, Roberts, and Ferris Safari with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis Krol, pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East