Speaker 1: So if he's got some good hands and feel, this is too good. It's not just the fact that he's won, it's the way he's played the match. He has a candy bar and an RC coke.
Speaker 2: You are kidding me, Come.
Speaker 1: On market and there's his unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Might have caught some unbelievable energy to the quarter with the fans and then with his player as well, and with his personality. So it was very, very refreshing to play against an appoint like this, you know, who draws in the crowds and with some great shop making.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he can play on grass. That's that's good.
Speaker 4: And we're back at the National Tennis Center in our same lecture theater. They must never lecture here because it's totally abandoned lecture theater.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just a week. They don't do a weekend. Stop lecturing a weekend.
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of my life in this lecture theater level five. Yeah, time, I'll never get back.
Speaker 1: Did you get to spend time with Louian during.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, he did a day with us. Yeah, it's great, insightful. Yeah, we had like quite a few big weeks coming Numero UNO's headcond shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know you said earlier in the week on our other podcast, you said about like your learning style you might get a bit defensive or a bit Yeah, I am no different to the thirteen year old me in school. Yeah, where I'm basically like I can concentrate for it, but I've got about ten minutes. And then like the person next to me, I'm you know, drawing a cartoon cock and balls and a piece of paper and stuff like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But you've probably got good at that as well, like I.
Speaker 2: Have, oh my, oh my artist, the level is high definition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing an exhibition actually a gallery exhibition soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Definitely, like I'm kind of nudging the person next to me and looking at them, trying to get a suite off them, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: Nothing is as satisfying in school as to get in your mates in trouble.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, it's good, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like encouraging it as well, encouraging them to do it. And then I was often the kid that got encouraged to do stuff and then told on oh right, yeah, because I always wanted to make people laugh. Then they might like me because they didn't they write.
Speaker 2: Like you exactly.
Speaker 1: I was silly, was telling me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I did it again and again. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: You know when there's a note being passed around, passing that. Robert Jackson sat next to me and there was a note that was about like the five A side team at lunch, you're sorting teams out. Yeah, important, of course, right, and there's something going on in your edge mcation, you know whatever, and you're you're stilling the teams out and you pass it to Robert Jackson to have a look, and as soon as he takes.
Speaker 2: It, you miss. Robert's got a note, Yeah missed. Have you come up here with it.
Speaker 1: Let's show the whole class what you're doing. Yeah, he's breathing out. The formation is the walk up.
Speaker 2: We're going to put Marvin in goal first ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Marvin's always going, always in goal to start to start, but he's there.
Speaker 2: He's like a soul shy of the team.
Speaker 1: Brilliant. Yeah, you need those. Yeah, normally they put the biggest person in goal. Hang on, how pick teams used to line them up and have captains and they picked the unit. We'll pick him because yeah, I was actually quite good for school. Yeah, but sometimes you pick the unit because you know they're going to be in goal the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you bet the star man first, surely, but it changed all the time.
Speaker 2: Captain football at school is basically just a bullhog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone shoots all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah you didn't. You went good like mcallely, I bet would have been last pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, last pick. Last thing you need at school is someone anchoring a midfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: No CDM, just waves of attack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, shots, shots.
Speaker 2: Shots on shots.
Speaker 4: Our ball used to could go over the fence into the horses field and if that happened, you were a minus girl. Really so kicking towards horses field?
Speaker 2: Hush?
Speaker 1: Was that a rule you made up?
Speaker 2: Well? I didn't.
Speaker 1: So, so if you're tune it up and your shoot and it goes over, you're only one that Yeah, that's that's really like serious. Yeah yeah, okay, proper game. You swap halves at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, she didn't.
Speaker 1: Probably we just played until time and whatever you got was no.
Speaker 4: No, Strawberry would tell us that I don't know whose strawberry was she was a dinner lady and she wore a red coat.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's just got a straw strawberry.
Speaker 2: She didn't have a green head though, to like a real strawberry.
Speaker 1: You just called a strawberry, not miss strawberry.
Speaker 2: Boys, it's halfway.
Speaker 1: Good honor, cheers strawbs. And she didn't mind being strawberry.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I ever would have said cheers strawbs or we called her strawberry to her face.
Speaker 1: Right, one of those. Yeah, it's not really offensive, is it no, to be honest, but it's a funny. Giant red coat strawberry, strawberry smart.
Speaker 4: And the other dinner lady wore a cream coat and she was cream so we had strawberries and cream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wouldn't been that inventive.
Speaker 2: It would have worked so well.
Speaker 4: But I've driven all the way out to the National Tennis Center again for the second timelievable, I mean unbelieva. It's like eight mile driving. It's about three weeks the start with the primer stove. You're at the end of the first week of training. How are you feeling, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Pretty sore, but healthilysa. You know, I've often you go around playing tournaments, you'll play do a better training, but matches are no longer an hour a lot of the time, and yeah, you go three hour days plus gym. Yeah, it's intense, but it's been great. Really enjoyed myself learning a lot playing with the best players in the world.
Speaker 4: Well, this is it, because this is if you haven't heard our previous podcast, you in you're in a kind of Christmas training camp at postseason, pre season training camp with the best doubles player in the world, with the best doubles coach in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me just check the notes.
Speaker 4: The best doubles coach in the world, as signed off by Louis Kaye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one. Yeah, I'm just going to make sure that I've got all of the notes.
Speaker 4: So this week you've been doing these two hour training blocks and basically just breaking down every individual part of the game.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much you've opened up into points, you know, the last couple of days a bit more points scenarios, but yeah, just just learning kind of how to train, what drills to do tournaments. When you get to a tournament, training is going to look quite different now to what I'm used to. It's a lot less just hitting balls and you know, getting your rhythm, which is important in the first hit I suppose. But now we've got, you know, so many drills we can take into our tournaments and do you know between matches as well. So no, it's good. I'm buying into it. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Do you have like a camaraderie, a camaraderie with these people?
Speaker 1: Camaraderie meaning I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, like I would like a kind of in a football club, obviously there's just a huge us and them, feeling like if you're playing for a football team, you're so close to those people, they've become like brothers to you.
Speaker 2: And then you've got.
Speaker 4: But here is different because ultimately you're trying to get each other's atp points and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's weird, Yeah, it's weird. Doubles. It's like you get on with people and you want them to do well, but everyone's competing for themselves, which is strange, right, But for the time you're with your partner, you both want to be doing really well, but it doesn't always end that way. But here you've got more established partners. You know, you've got cash glass for you had Skotchki Stewsory last year. There's a lot more switching going on nowadays. But I think our goal is to, you know, play play with the same person as Britt's and try and push on as long as you possibly can.
Speaker 4: So do you like will you boys at the end of this three weeks? Will you be going out together? Would you go and get dinner?
Speaker 2: Or is it like that?
Speaker 1: Not so much. I think people have their personal lives outside of work. That's how I see it now, being a Josh Josh my partner gets on quite well with with Lloyd, and that there are friendships within you know, tennis at tournaments, we all go out together in the evenings and have some food depending on who's playing, what time and stuff. But but yeah, you have you have your friend groups. I'm obviously a loser and don't have any friends, so I just you know, I.
Speaker 4: Was just about to say that, Yeah, it's one of the things I like about you that I don't meet someone who's more of a loser than me often, yes, And it's one of the things that attracts me to you.
Speaker 1: I'm very good at making people feel good about it.
Speaker 4: I feel great, Yeah, I don't often feel handsome, No, but after being here, yeah.
Speaker 2: I do know. It really gives me a spring misket.
Speaker 1: It's good and I'm taking that sacrifice through no choice of my own, to make everyone feel great about themselves. But it's been, it's been. It's been cool being around here. You know, it's still some of the legends walking around. You know, Luis car has been here for a while. You know, Jeremy Bates is.
Speaker 2: Still I can't meet him.
Speaker 4: Why so if I've worked in TV and radio, okay, and as you know, and I have been in the room with Pele, Mhammad, Ali, David Beckham, whatever, right, and I've done I did some sound for some Hollywood things and was I actually hung out with Robert Redford enough from Robert Redford to know my name and stuff like that, Right, Fine. I couldn't meet Paul McCartney. I couldn't because I would giggle like a schoolgirl and urinate. Yeah, and I could meet Ringo. Fine, I could meet Mick Jagger, even though Mick Jagger is my guy.
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, I can't meet Jeremy Bates too much of a legend or yeah, Jeremy Bates and Paul McCartney are on the same plane for me, really, yeah, Like as you first sational tennis match I ever saw was Jeremy Bates and he won. It was about eighty seven, maybe eighty eight, and he won. It was on one of the outside courts, but you know, a good, good outside court, and I was standing by the kind of benched area and he came through and he gave me a little high five, And I think that single handedly changed the course of.
Speaker 4: My existence right in. I thought, that looks like a good thing to be. Right, to be Jeremy Bates is a good thing. And I see Jeremy Bates around now in coaching circles, and earlier this week we walked past him and you said, hi, And I can't do that. No, okay, I would block up. I would jam up fair enough. Who's yours? Who couldn't you meet?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It would have been Jurgen Klop for a bit. I really I love the guy, absolutely love the guy. But part of me would be like really excited. But I know i'd see him and I just want to ask him hundreds of questions and like hug him. Okay, yeah, and that'll be a bit weird for someone you've just met.
Speaker 2: So I feel like I couldn't like with.
Speaker 1: With players baits, but Bates used to coach me, yeah, in a group like a legend. And and you know I hit with him when he was you know, finished, when I was fourteen, he was still like chopping us and the sets and stuff. Guys, unbelievable his volley right, yeah, volley back and just just a really good competitor and again like really demanding in terms of attitude and work great. But was just I found that with him man as well, they just even at the end of their careers, they were just nails. They'd turn up and chopped I lost him and won and love in a practice match and he was like at the end of his career and I'm meant to be a top junior, And just his intensity and just the way he trained and trained for long. But like, this guy's so serious and he's at the end of his career. What must have been like in his peak.
Speaker 4: Well, I know someone who told me once that Herman is the hardest trainer he's ever met, or yeah, anything like that, and he's seen Murray close quarters.
Speaker 1: Murray Murray was hard. Marriage put hours and hours in as well. But yeah, Herman was kind of no emotion behind as well, would just work and miss and get on to the next one. Mary's a bit more. You know, you could see if he's having a good day or a bad day or obviously I mean it's tough to say who worked harder. But yeah, basically was he used to terrify me?
Speaker 2: Well just clam up?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, what a player? I bet you? Yeah, yeah, do you remember that time you played? And yeah that's not really mate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God, that's the worry, isn't Yeah.
Speaker 1: You give him a start and he kind of doesn't remember it or looks at you like he does remember. But how do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like where do you live? Like how do you know my name? Why were you hanging out in my garden gate earlier? That kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So yeah, it's weird because actually we walked past him earlier on the week and yeah, I felt I have not told you, And there was a slight panic that came over me that you go, oh, this is Dave.
Speaker 1: I'm really tempting that it's a.
Speaker 2: Real panic because I thought, I say.
Speaker 1: I'll pre book the cleaner to clean the urine off the floor. Let them know first I'm about to make an introduction and then watch your squirm.
Speaker 4: With the trading came right end of week one. Do you are you going to go now play practice ses or is it just the you know you do you jim your stretch, You got your coaching with Louis and the other guys, then you and stretch and out? Is there like a As we move into the next couple of weeks between three and five, we're going to get out and play some sets.
Speaker 1: Don't think you have a player full set you You'll play tie breaks and point scenarios, which we've done already, and yeah, work from there. I don't know what next week. I think it might open up a little bit. Second sessions normally a lot. I'll have Adam with me a couple of days. We'll do some you know, technical reps ourselves for the for the other session. Look a court here, Yeah, you get caught here and like we did on pay.
Speaker 2: For anything here. Food food two thousand pounds a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, subsidized for players, is it? Which is great? So? Yeah, if I eat like seven chickens.
Speaker 2: Christmas lunch earlier week, were you invited.
Speaker 1: Not not invited until I brought it up. And then you know, once I was invited us like, well, they didn't want me here anyway, so I didn't eat. I didn't need anything that day.
Speaker 2: Christmas to me till one?
Speaker 1: Why only two?
Speaker 2: Oh? Really? Yeah, trouble.
Speaker 1: Might get a crown or something that we tend to get chicken, beef and something.
Speaker 2: Oh I go turkey, crown and beef.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, no, that's two.
Speaker 2: Good Emma. My wife she wants a single meat like we're in Soviet.
Speaker 1: Russia or something. Just the standards they roasting, Yeah, exactly, with a pick and blanket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I picking blanket all year.
Speaker 1: But I likes chocolate as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, early early in the morning if she has it on Christmas Day though rules are off, aren't there Christmas Day, So it's okay to have chocolate first. So she does that in the year as well. Yeah, it's not special for her.
Speaker 1: That's why she know it's one meat because he's chocolate and taking might be a bit more. Yeah, and then no need for them for the meat so.
Speaker 4: Much, so I would start on things like Bailey's or sparkling beverages. Yeah, like maybe ten thirty and then I'm into the roast.
Speaker 1: Three ish, Okay, Yeah, that's a good time for.
Speaker 2: This is Christmas Day roast.
Speaker 1: We've got all the kids. Yeah, probably two three pm. With the kids, we'll have a late breakfast. So I'll always I always have a class on Christmas there.
Speaker 2: Do you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and scrambled eggs sometimes, Yeah, it's less so with the kids. I mean, the kids will have eggs for sure in the morning. But I get like a cross on and heat it up and put butter and jam in it. It's the one time of year I do that. Yeah, and then and then salivate over the thought of it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and then he choked thinking about it there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, because when I was at the when I was here earlier in the week, I was looking at the colleagues Christmas lunch. Yeah either, No, I'm not a colleague of course to have to sit here with.
Speaker 2: Like your you know from accounts in a Christmas hat.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing they haven't had their Christmas bash up yet either, because if they had that, you know, last weekend, there'll be a discussion point or if it's not happened yet, they'll be anticipation chat. You've so what you're wearing at the.
Speaker 4: Weekend as someone who's been avoiding getting a job for your whole life, unemployed or unemployaballs whatever.
Speaker 1: It is pretty much.
Speaker 4: I used to obviously have real jobs, now don't, But when I did. The Christmas party is chaos. People who are so dull are wild.
Speaker 1: There's a thing, isn't there that ends marriage and stuff, can't it? Oh yeah, it's just carnage. Yeah, but only that one eventy year people come out and what is it about? They're just bottling out for a year. And then and then people get reputations like they are he gets a bit touchyffiliate the Christmas party and oh that guy just goes off his nut and goes missing. And then ye see him on Monday when you see them on Monday, all right, yeah good? And then nothing for another year again. Yeah right right, that's really.
Speaker 4: Three pictures from the Christmas party. You're like draped over people. Yeah, you just go really boring wanting to as you walk through the office morning and you're like draped over and you've got like managing directors in a headlock and you're doing nothing.
Speaker 1: The names you call them behind their back at the Christmas Oh, that's.
Speaker 2: The other one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is you talk up to your boss, but you talk down to them, you know what I mean. Yeah, it's in the office, they have a certain amount of respect. But when you're you know, fourteen, snowballs in.
Speaker 1: But they but they yeah, but they allow that. The Christmas party, they find.
Speaker 2: The rules the wild West, crazy, isn't it.
Speaker 1: They let you talk to them kind of how you how you want, and then back in the office.
Speaker 4: So what I'm proposing is you and I, because we neither of us have a job or anything like that or what society would recognizes a job, Me and you have our own Christmas party where we just we go Matt, I can get off with each other pictures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do that without alcohola oh yeah.
Speaker 4: No no, I think in just a mix a dangerous mix of sparkling and still.
Speaker 1: Get the slur out j owen slur. Yeah, yeah, it was good. I did have a Guinness zero the other day, and that's all right, really nice taste like Guinness. Yeah yeah, but I had one of them and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Fine, free edam a percenter like tastes like beer. Yeah, I find it if I get in from work and have that, I don't need to go to the real stuff. Yes, fine, it's just scratches that scratches the itch. Yeah, it's an ost edge. Actually, I must go to the doctor about.
Speaker 1: Get that checked out.
Speaker 4: So you've got two more weeks of training. I'm very excited about catching up about it. And is there anything in particular you're looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Just sort of getting these lessons into into point situations and sort of triing it and seeing, you know, how much is sunk in and how much work kind of still needs to be done on the positions of stuff.
Speaker 2: You mean cash, right, it's a nice guy. Yeah, coach by Parryfulture, nice guy.
Speaker 4: There's a little bit you think I really want to compete against you, mate, you got to windleed in and you're wealth number two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to get on court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been exciting and I've played with him a couple of times this week.
Speaker 2: And how does he give you a little target on his back a little bit?
Speaker 1: Because of course, yeah, like even even but this happens at every level, right You when your ranking goes up, you win to Charalie the week before, and then you've got some guys going at you. Yeah the next week just because you if you lose a few first round, they've got the pressure of beating because you're not playing well. But at the top of the world, that's even more. That's even more. But practice is practice, right, Yeah, sure you know that. I know they're not playing.
Speaker 2: He got we've got some point play today.
Speaker 4: You want to go to the other end, right, Yeah, we want to serve again, I want to you of course somewhat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gets less as you get older and more fragile. But no, it's cool. It's cool to test yourself. But again, there's so many, so many good players at the top of the game, at the level so so Henry and Harry won the end of the year Masters, like yeah, and you've got Rowland garras champions that might not win wimbled and then might not win us. You know, so many good players.
Speaker 2: Joe, he's walking around, yeah, yeah, I'm real. Yeah, what a player.
Speaker 4: He's not in this he's not in this session, right, I think he's taking time back.
Speaker 2: But you know, you're in there with Ben Jones. He's what nearly two hundred in the world or something.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what a player. Yeah, great surf, great serve and he's he's learning fast as well. He's learning fast because he's played doubles on top of singles for many years like I used to, so yeah, he picks things up very quickly.
Speaker 4: Oh mate, it's been great catching up and uh yeah, I can't wait to hear what's.
Speaker 2: Next two weeks hold for you?
Speaker 1: Fantastic let's date. Its bye
Speaker 2: M hm